This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My theory about ancient rings vs Asgard beams

I know there are many threads about both but this thread is specifically about my theory and the comparison of the two technologies.

OK. Many have pointed out that Asgard beaming technology is far superior to that of the ancients rings and wonder why the ancients were so far behind. I have several points that i think prove that the rings were far more efficient compared to that of the Asgard beaming technology.

1.) This isn't really a point but the Ancients have beaming technology. As demonstrated in Avalon and Camelot.

2.) Beams can be stopped with a jamming device. Obviously shields can stop both the rings and beams, but as demonstrated in several episodes rings can go through a heck of a lot of interference.(Black Holes!) The Wraith stopped the Asgard beams but the much more powerful Ori could not stop the ringing in of Daniel Jackson. Rings can go through a heck of a lot more interference.

3.) Power: Beaming Technology could be taken out lets say if a ships power generation capabilities are destroyed, but rings are an independent system that can be activated from the sending and receiving side. This provides a huge tactical advantage compared to beaming. If a 304 was low on power and a nearby ship and/or planet had rings they could ring out with relative ease.

In conclusion the rings may be technologically inferior but they work better in more situations. The Ancients weren't stupid people they obviously knew that they worked better. I look as the drones as another example of this. Some energy based weapons may be more powerful than drones ,but ancients preferred them because of their different capabilities as projectiles and energy based weapons.

Thor would be mad i just bashed the Asgard but i still love those guys.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Annubis' hitman View Post
    I know there are many threads about both but this thread is specifically about my theory and the comparison of the two technologies.

OK. Many have pointed out that Asgard beaming technology is far superior to that of the ancients rings and wonder why the ancients were so far behind. I have several points that i think prove that the rings were far more efficient compared to that of the Asgard beaming technology.

1.) This isn't really a point but the Ancients have beaming technology. As demonstrated in Avalon and Camelot.

2.) Beams can be stopped with a jamming device. Obviously shields can stop both the rings and beams, but as demonstrated in several episodes rings can go through a heck of a lot of interference.(Black Holes!) The Wraith stopped the Asgard beams but the much more powerful Ori could not stop the ringing in of Daniel Jackson. Rings can go through a heck of a lot more interference.

3.) Power: Beaming Technology could be taken out lets say if a ships power generation capabilities are destroyed, but rings are an independent system that can be activated from the sending and receiving side. This provides a huge tactical advantage compared to beaming. If a 304 was low on power and a nearby ship and/or planet had rings they could ring out with relative ease.

In conclusion the rings may be technologically inferior but they work better in more situations. The Ancients weren't stupid people they obviously knew that they worked better. I look as the drones as another example of this. Some energy based weapons may be more powerful than drones ,but ancients preferred them because of their different capabilities as projectiles and energy based weapons.

that actuley makes sense

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
    Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by Annubis' hitman View Post

1) The eps you referenced were technology by Merlin. At the time he had full ascended knowledge! So you can't claim they all had the tech. Merlin de-ascended to human for almost a minimum of 1000 years ago.

Lanteans came back 10,000 years ago. So by the time he did come back they were all long gone!

2) How many times have we seen them ring aboard Ori ships in the heat of battle? It took a couple of times for the Wraith to come up with something. They only were forced to because their ships were being destroyed. No weapons were ever beamed or ringed aboard an Ori ship. If you watch 'The Shroud' you'll see they said this:

MITCHELL
      (keying radio)
      Carter, I thought you sealed off this level and locked out the rings.

CARTER
      (into radio)
      Me too.

So obviously rings can be disabled if needed!

3) You say huge tactical advantage, but if youa ctually think about it for a minute you'll see that's nowhere near true!

First thing is you actually need a set of receiving rings somewhere else within range. Secondly the matterstream can be intercepted if something else with another set of rings gets in closer. The rings automatically lock on to the nearest matching set.

Let's look at what this really means. Say your battling the Ori, your ship is about to get destroyed. You have no option but to use the rings. Thus you automatically get pumped aboard their ship. What happens if both ships get destroyed, then you have nowhere else to go.

Again, what happens your in a battle, you need to urgently get down to the surface of the planet below but it doesn't have a set of rings. What if the enemy ship doesn't have rings either etc, etc! What if the planet does have a gate, you go down & it's heavily guarded with enemy troops. You come in, then either capture or kill you!

Maybe even you ring down to a planet for a mission, you come back hours later to see it guarded by enemy troops. You either have to lie low, which would be pretty much impossible if they actually knew you were nearby. They'd simply keep sending more & more troops to look for you. If they didn't know you were around. You'd either need to wait (which would be dangerous, given more replacements could arrive at any time, or your food/water could run out before they left) or kill them all to get to the ring platform & get outta there. Again brings up the problem of an enemy ship being closer to your set of rings than your own ship.

With beaming tech you can pick & choose your destination. As well as not needing anything at the receiving side!

Against the Wraith, rings would be useless because they don't have any on their ships. What if the Ori or Goa'uld locked down the rings aboard their ships....

So in truth, both have their weaknesses. The fact is I'd rather have beaming tech any day of the week. If you had to choose, then you'd be crazy to choose rings over beaming technology!

If beaming tech is blocked, then you can use codes remotely or whatever to get around it. If they don't have a set of rings at your destination, the rings are locked down from the inside, or are heavily guarded etc then it's totally useless.

Comment

Blocking beaming tech isnt the easiest thing to do, also having rings everywhere you do is in efficient for a race. Imagine you have to go to space in some emergency you would have to talk to the ring room, what happens if there isnt enough time? Also rings cant go through everything, i don't think all shields work, i think the reason it worked on the ori is because the ship was designed with the rings so maybe it allowed to bypass the shields.

Remember the ring isn't much different from the asgard beam its still turning matter into energy then returning it to matter in a different location the main difference is that the ancients used rings to do this the asgard did not. perhaps there might be more efficiency using rings, but there cant be that much of a difference.
        Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
        Anime signature in spoiler tag
        Spoiler:
        Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

Its a philosophical difference. Point-to-point transport is extremely dangerous compared to controlled transport such as the rings, as there's so much more that can go wrong and destroy the transportee.

Not so much of a problem for the Asgard, who download into clone bodies and even have "throwaway" clones to test with. Much more so for the Ascension-minded Ancients, who cannot replace "themselves" so easily.

Eventually of course the Asgard became very precise with the transporter technology, but I believe that the Ancients would have been very cautious about adopting it.

Comment

The rings tech was very useful for the ancients, for millions of years The Ancients didn´t had any enemy so they never needed beaming tech, and their tech have always been superior to any other, even the Asgard called them the ancients because or their knowledge, they are the Gate Builders , but their mistake have been always been too proud and too few. Well, what I mean it´s not that their tech was bad,it was just that beaming tech was useless for them.

Comment

Well, even if the ring technology was inferior, just think about it. What did the Ancients use the ring technology for anyway? I doubt they used it like the Goauld use it. And, the ring tech predates the travel to the MW (as evidenced by the existence of Ori ring technology). And when exactly was Asgard beaming tech created? And how? Exactly.They did not use the rings in the same capacity that the Asgard use beaming tech. Also, this brings up the issue of whether or not Asgard tech in general is superior to Ancient tech (specifically war technology). Now, the transportation technology has already been dealt with. As far as weapons, yeah, drone technology did have its advantages (we don't really know how the new Asgard weaponry works). As far as power capability- it cannot really be determined because of the plothole issue in zpm technology. As well, shield strength is questionable. Hyperdrive capability is the big thing. We all know that the Asgard have powerful hyperdrive technology (perhaps better than Ancient hyperdrive tech) and their ships are just as fast. But, it's unclear exactly how fast Ancient hyperdrives really are. Atlantis' stardrive is faster than the 304 Asgard hyperdrives.
              Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
              encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
              3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
              4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
              5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

I think we've ot it right with rings and asgard beaming tech. Best of both worlds.
                Best quotes ever:
                O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                Thor:I like the yellow ones
                O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Im guessing the rings have a much much longer range and the data is preserved the best. Probably because the ancients had asgard type transport beams and lost too many people by using them, and it also would make sense for civilian populations. Can't have people beaming in and out of everywhere, it could have been like a bus stop where there are designated locations to go to.
                  Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                    ... And, the ring tech predates the travel to the MW (as evidenced by the existence of Ori ring technology). ...
                    Actally one can't be sure of that because

Minor "easter egg" spoiler for Ark of Truth
                    Spoiler:
                    The man responsible for inventing the Ark, left for milky way with an idea of a stargate in his notebook.
                    Now that leaves a question where did the Ori get stargate tech? Therefor one can't be sure about rings either. Pity that plotholes exsist..

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
                      Actally one can't be sure of that because

Minor "easter egg" spoiler for Ark of Truth
                      Spoiler:
                      The man responsible for inventing the Ark, left for milky way with an idea of a stargate in his notebook.
                      Now that leaves a question where did the Ori get stargate tech? Therefor one can't be sure about rings either. Pity that plotholes exsist..
                      ah but jacob/Selmak states that rings work like stargates only on a shorter scale. Indeed hitting 5 symbols to target a set of nearby rings is very similiar to hitting 6 symbols for another planet.

Also in Avalon Daniel & Vala are ringed to the city of Celestia. The Ori use their fighters to drop ring platforms near targets of importance(stargate).

In order for the prior of the Ori to travel to the MW they used stargates, and created the supergates for ships.

So the Ori obviously became familar with stargate tech themselves, or visited the milky way before and learned it there.

Comment

isnt te thing most assumed that ancients have strong perfect health bodys and therefore can walk easily, while asgard are small, weak and fragile therefore need more transportation?

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                          I doubt they used it like the Goauld use it. And, the ring tech predates the travel to the MW (as evidenced by the existence of Ori ring technology). And when exactly was Asgard beaming tech created? And how? Exactly.
                          Could you elaborate? What exactly are you trying to imply.

Comment

he means the asgard made beaming technology was after the ancients made rings. so he says, its not comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                              ah but jacob/Selmak states that rings work like stargates only on a shorter scale. Indeed hitting 5 symbols to target a set of nearby rings is very similiar to hitting 6 symbols for another planet.

Also in Avalon Daniel & Vala are ringed to the city of Celestia. The Ori use their fighters to drop ring platforms near targets of importance(stargate).

In order for the prior of the Ori to travel to the MW they used stargates, and created the supergates for ships.

So the Ori obviously became familar with stargate tech themselves, or visited the milky way before and learned it there.
                              Perhaps ring transporters had been invented and it was just another step to creating stargates or something like that. Or the ori found the designs.
                              Spoiler:
                              The ark looks like a DHD except smaller
                              Best quotes ever:
                              O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                              Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                              Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                              Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                              Thor:I like the yellow ones
                              O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X