PDA

View Full Version : Buy the DVD films!

Platschu
December 23rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Ok, the Ark of Truth is leaked, but this wasn't the final version, so it will be better. I hope every fan will buy the DVD instead of downloading this pirate version. Please, support the next movies that you will have an original SG DVD in March. Thanks. ;)

Ganthet Jr.
December 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
I just finished the leaked version, and I absolutely plan on buying the DVDs. The effects weren't finished. Besides, even though I saw it early doesn't mean I'm not going to support the franchise fiscally!! I know some may not, so THEY shouldn't download it lol. But, I will, so in the meantime, I have this version.

Actually, I'm buying about three copies to give to my friends :daniel:

talyn2k1
December 23rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
I hadn't realised it had been leaked. Downloading now :)
But rest assured, when it comes out on DVD next year, there is no way I won't be buying it. WIll look lovely next to my SG-1 seasons 1-9 and Atlantis seasons 1 & 2. Add to that SG-1 S10 and SGA S3 when they come out.

On a side note, PTB should really look into who they let access these materials. IIRC, that's three out of the first four S4 episodes that were leaked and now this...they got a Zatarc in their ranks.

Dr Lee
December 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
I have to admit i'm rather p*ssed off at this leak... no pun intended.

Firstly i now have to spend the time between now and the DVD release being EXTREAMLY careful what i click on on the SG sites i visit. I don't want to get this ruined before i see the proper movie.

Secondly due to this leak Andreas has decided to cease posting his official Promo images. The images he was posting are brilliant, they gave us a glimpse of whats to come yet and left us with questions like 'Who's that? Why are they there?' I;ve spent many a hour debating what could/might be going on and now.... Zilch.

(I don't blame Andreas for withdrawing his posting services before anyone reads into the above that i do)

Freekzilla
December 23rd, 2007, 04:58 PM
Eh, it's just an extended length low res teaser trailor in my book. Not gonna change my mind about buying it, as I still am no matter what. The one thing it did do was, make me want to buy it more.

PG15
December 23rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
I shall!

I got the leaked version as well, but I'm not planning to watch it (well, maybe just a few scenes...) until after I watch the finished version.

g.o.d
December 23rd, 2007, 05:45 PM
I will buy AoT.I doesn't matter that I've seen it, I'll buy it

the fifth man
December 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
I'll definitely be buying both movies, and intend to convince some of my friends to do so as well.

Dr Lee
December 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
The only reason i'd DL'd the movie is if i can't rip it off the DVD for my Ipod.

jenks
December 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
I'll definitely be buying it, seeing the leaked version only made me want it more.

CUBBYJR1
December 23rd, 2007, 06:35 PM
guys if you download it trust me when its comes to march 2008 and p[eople dont buy the dvds and after continum and there no more dvds of this seires people wonder why and that because no one going to be buying the dvd and are instead downloading the pirate version.I wish congress threw people in jail for downloading tv shows and movies off the net and that teach people not to do it.

the fifth man
December 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
I'll definitely be buying it, seeing the leaked version only made me want it more.

Very well said.:) It did the same thing for me.

jenks
December 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
guys if you download it trust me when its comes to march 2008 and p[eople dont buy the dvds and after continum and there no more dvds of this seires people wonder why and that because no one going to be buying the dvd and are instead downloading the pirate version.I wish congress threw people in jail for downloading tv shows and movies off the net and that teach people not to do it.

To be honest, I think relatively few people have even downloaded it, and even the majority of those will probably buy it. The quality is decent but not the sort of level that is going to sway people from buying it because they already have a copy.

Konrad9
December 23rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
This leak will change nothing.
Everyone who was going to buy it will buy it anyways, and the people who weren't going to buy it won't anyways. They'd just have waited for the final version to leak.

Dr Lee
December 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
The only reason i won't be buying this is if i'm dead... or it's bought for me.

Stargater34
December 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Very well said.

The_Carpenter
December 23rd, 2007, 11:09 PM

Indeed, It should get up into the top 10 DVDs of the week its released :jack:

DropsOfAngst
December 23rd, 2007, 11:26 PM
I'm buying two copies. One for me, and one for a friend in Canada. I also own seasons 9 & 10 (for a certain Cameron Mitchell). I just wish Continuum was released already, I really can't wait to see that one!

Ladyinred
December 23rd, 2007, 11:38 PM
Indeed, It should get up into the top 10 DVDs of the week its released :jack:

Fingers crossed! :)

Platschu
December 24th, 2007, 01:04 AM
A heads up to anyone posting comments to this blog about The Ark of Truth. Yes, I’m aware an unfinished version found its way online and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. No, I will not be allowing any discussion on the contents of Ark of Truth until its official release. So any of you who may be privy to details or heard about details and wish to discuss them, here is not the place to do it. I will not publish your comments.

Now I realize a lot of you are hardcore fans and just dying to get a peek at the movie. The wait for the DVD release has no doubt been unbearable for many. And while I can’t stop you from downloading an illegal copy (hopefully the good people at MGM will see to that), I do wonder why anyone would want to spoil their enjoyment of the finished product by watching an early, incomplete version. It’s sort of like arriving half an hour early to pick up your first date and insisting you head out immediately. Hey, it would be nice to shower, shave, put on a nice suit, some cologne and, in general, look presentable. The hardcore fans will forgive a lot (and I’m probably referring to many of you reading this), but the casual fan and first-time viewer may well have their opinion of the movie (and, unfortunately, any future movies) unfairly tainted by an unfinished version. I remember when work-in-progress copies of Adrift and Lifeline hit the internet earlier this year. A number of fans expressed disappointment with the lack of sound and visual effects. In many cases, they even expressed regret at having watched the early versions as it colored their enjoyment of the episodes when they eventually aired. Again, I can’t stop you - but something to think about.

Also something to think about is the fact that while having an early version available online may seem like a good thing for Stargate fans anxiously awaiting the DVD’s release, it is a very, very bad thing for Stargate and could adversely impact the future of the franchise. I know, I know. You guys are huge fans and most of you will buy the DVD regardless. However, there are many fans and first-time viewers in particular who will not. And, bottom line: if the DVD sales are undermined by this early release, then that could well effect the possibility of future SG-1 movies.

To those of you complaining that this is exactly like the aforementioned Adrift and Lifeline situations or the early release of Doppelganger - No, it isn’t. In the case of Adrift and Lifeline, the version that found its way online could have been one of the hundreds of screeners sent out to critics all over North America. In the case of Doppelganger, iTunes mistakenly released a copy of the episode a week early. In the case of The Ark of Truth, however, it was someone in a position of trust (which is kind of sad). And, unlike, say, the hundreds of North American television critics and their family members, or the countless subscribers to iTunes, that “circle of trust” (apologies to Robert DeNiro’s Jack Byrnes) aint that big. Someone, either out of spite or simple sheer stupidity, stole a copy of the unfinished movie, pirated it, and put it online - essentially putting the future of SG-1 at risk - and there’s a good chance this individual will be caught. And when said jerk/idiot/criminal IS caught, here’s hoping they receive a good legal ass-kicking.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2007/12/23/december-23-2007-pirating-pugs-and-postings/

Will Thorne
December 24th, 2007, 03:50 AM
I haven't downloaded it and i'm not planning too. DVD all the way :D .

Ladyinred
December 24th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I haven't downloaded it and i'm not planning too. DVD all the way :D .

I've downloaded it, watched 3 times already and I can hardly wait to lay my hands on the DVD to see the movie in its whole beauty and glory! :D

sgaaddict
December 24th, 2007, 04:55 AM
No french release date (yet?) for the Ark Of Truth but I will be one of the first french fans to buy the DVD!

Date please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ark of Truth : leaked ->that sucks
Ark Of Truth : bought->that rocks!

Buy DVDs, save SG-1!

Xeon_1
December 24th, 2007, 05:38 AM
i have downloaded it and after viewing it i want the dvd even more.
and by the way it is an unfinished version.
in some scene you can see some of stuff to help them make certain stunts

Promethius30
December 24th, 2007, 05:56 AM
I wont watch this i dont want to spoil one of the few sg1 moments in 2008 with a pirate version and i will buy the DVD to support the franchise any one that watches the pirate version and does get the DVD is not a stargate fan lets hope this wont effect the sales too much or the future of the sg1 movies and if the person who did this is caught should have legal action against them

Egle01
December 24th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I'll buy both films! Not a doubt. It's the least I can do to keep SG-1 movies coming. ;) Didn't know "AoT" has already leaked. I hope I'll resist watching it to have the best experience in March. :cameron::sam::daniel::vala::tealc:

Sp!der
December 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM
i will defenitley buy the two movies..and the next movies hopefully if they will made more of them.

Platschu
December 24th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I hope the German version will have a Hungarian subtitle. I can dream only about dubbed version. I think it is a shame, that Polish, Czech, Serbian, Croatian, Slovakian, Romanian or Hungarian fans are not on the map. :( We need a Central-East European SG DVD. I hope they will release the AoT here at least. ;)

Serebii
December 24th, 2007, 12:20 PM
This is bad though. There are people who wont bother buying it now. I'm not one of them but it really is bad. Many people here will buy it, but out there...it's really not good :/

I hope this doesn't happen with Continuum

Ladyinred
December 24th, 2007, 12:39 PM
This is bad though. There are people who wont bother buying it now. I'm not one of them but it really is bad. Many people here will buy it, but out there...it's really not good :/

Take a look at Amazon.com, The Ark of Truth sales rank (pre-orders) actually jumped very much during the weekend and today. The leak helped a lot of people to make a POSITIVE decision to buy the movie. Plus, let's hope Fox is going to organize really good promotion for the DVD, trailers in theaters and included in the other Fox's DVD titles. There's a huge chance for a completely new audience this way.

Serebii
December 24th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Take a look at Amazon.com, The Ark of Truth sales rank (pre-orders) actually jumped very much during the weekend and today. The leak helped a lot of people to make a POSITIVE decision to buy the movie. Plus, let's hope Fox is going to organize really good promotion for the DVD, trailers in theaters and included in the other Fox's DVD titles. There's a huge chance for a completely new audience this way.
Yeah it may have had a positive impact on some, but I know there are people about that think if its downloaded they wont bother "waste" money on it

Ladyinred
December 24th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Yeah it may have had a positive impact on some, but I know there are people about that think if its downloaded they wont bother "waste" money on it

But how many of them - dozens or hundreds? I wouldn't be afraid of them at all.

Serebii
December 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Enough to make a sizeable dent thats for sure

Ladyinred
December 24th, 2007, 03:53 PM

With good theatrical and DVD, including DVD magazines and catalogues, promotion I really wouldn't worry about the sales.

Serebii
December 24th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Based on some screens I've seen though, I guess as it is unfinished and seems to be missing bits to the top and left, people will want the proper version

garhkal
December 24th, 2007, 04:50 PM

So do i, either that, or put them to work for the company they 'ripped off' by doing said downloading.

And one thing i would like to know, is anything going to get done to those here, who admit to downloading it?

jonos101
December 24th, 2007, 05:15 PM

same here

Major_Griff
December 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I will not be watching the pirated version. I will wait until March to see it in its full glory. I agree with the poster that said it sucks now that we have to be careful for spoilers now cause idiots love to not use spoiler tags. I hope the jack*ss who broke the ptb's confidence gets found and receives that brutal legal butt kicking JM was talking about in his blog.

wkw427
December 24th, 2007, 06:13 PM
If it were from a seiries I don't like, I probally wouldn't buy. But I'm buying it hands down, no matter what..

Fenrir Foxz
December 24th, 2007, 06:32 PM
If it were from a seiries I don't like, I probally wouldn't buy. But I'm buying it hands down, no matter what..

:tealc:Indeed, Undemesticated eqines could not keep me from buying AoT upon it's release!

Konrad9
December 24th, 2007, 11:24 PM

As I already said, the people who weren't going to buy it before it was leaked WERE NEVER GOING TO BUY IT.
They were going to wait for the DVD version to be available through alternate means and get it that way.

The amount of sales lost because of this leak MIGHT be .0001% of total sales. If it's any higher, I would be shocked.

Betelgeuze
December 25th, 2007, 01:43 AM
I am not going to download an unfinished version. Will buy the dvd, does anyone know if the release date is the same world wide?

Ladyinred
December 25th, 2007, 03:00 AM
I am not going to download an unfinished version. Will buy the dvd, does anyone know if the release date is the same world wide?

Probably not. Play.com says April 14th, 2008 for UK, so it's a month and 3 days ater the US release - March 11, 2008.

mursuka
December 25th, 2007, 03:04 AM
i downloaded the movie but the effects are horrible on this one blue and red ball lol! I may buy it maybe dont what does it matter to you

Lightbane
December 25th, 2007, 03:33 AM
You gotta be incredibly stupid not to relise its not finished if you download such a crappy file. If its any smaller then 3GBs then its not worth downloading, i have a DVD that is 90 minutes long and its 5GBs Also has no extras.

Hopefully the arse that stole it and pirated it gets charged with piracy and theft. I seriously doubt it would affect DVD sales, anybody who was going to buy it and have downloaded it will still download it. If the effects as as bad as Adrift and Lifeline people will want the DVD.

Agent_Dark
December 25th, 2007, 03:42 AM
You gotta be incredibly stupid not to relise its not finished if you download such a crappy file. If its any smaller then 3GBs then its not worth downloading, i have a DVD that is 90 minutes long and its 5GBs Also has no extras.

dude, you do understand the concept behind compression right?

jenks
December 25th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Is it? I don't think so...

Ripple in Space
December 25th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Not gonna change my mind about buying it, as I still am no matter what. The one thing it did do was, make me want to buy it more.

I had no idea what you were talking about until I watched it. I agree, it was a blast to watch, but now I want to buy it even more. I can't wait to watch it in widescreen HD!

the fifth man
December 25th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I had no idea what you were talking about until I watched it. I agree, it was a blast to watch, but now I want to buy it even more. I can't wait to watch it in widescreen HD!

Yeah, if I loved this version, I can't wait to see how I feel about the finished one.:)

Actionhank
December 25th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Promotion is promotion whether good or bad.
I really wish they would release DVDs in countries other than the US and Canada more quickly. I don't need a German version (the synced stuff sucks anyway). Just release an original language version maybe with local subs and release it worldwide at once. I guess then the sync-process wouldn't pay off that much anymore but still it would... Well, with the dollar being that weak I will try to get my hands on an imported US-version. :D
Edit: Oh, I forgot about region coding, damnit!

jenks
December 26th, 2007, 08:03 AM
It's strange that they don't to be honest, I'm sure the European market is bugger than the North American one, it's probably more to do with shipping and language issues more than anything...

Ladyinred
December 26th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Promotion is promotion whether good or bad.
I really wish they would release DVDs in countries other than the US and Canada more quickly. I don't need a German version (the synced stuff sucks anyway). Just release an original language version maybe with local subs and release it worldwide at once. I guess then the sync-process wouldn't pay off that much anymore but still it would... Well, with the dollar being that weak I will try to get my hands on an imported US-version. :D
Edit: Oh, I forgot about region coding, damnit!

Multiregional DVD player is the solution, plus you can easily hack your current DD player if it's region coded one into being multiregional one. Videohelp.com (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks) is very helpful with it.

garhkal
December 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I cannot believe sites like that are legal, let alone posting links to them..

Agent_Dark
December 26th, 2007, 03:01 PM
lol bl to the region locked dvd players. its actually illegal for a company to sell a region locked dvd player here in Australia, since it was ruled by our High Court that region lockouts breached our trade practices act.

rockerlad
December 26th, 2007, 04:46 PM
ok i am confused here i didnt even no this had happened, i would love to see it and i have al ready pre ordered the dvd from play.com so i would watch both, anyone got a link they could PM me???

ThomasDM
December 27th, 2007, 07:07 AM

I don't think this leak will have a negative effect on the sales. Those who were planning to pirate the movie would be able to get it about a week before the movie is officially released anyway, so if they get this workprint or a DVDrip doesn't really make much difference IMO.

Hopefully this early leak will help to boost the popularity of this movie :)

MechaThor
December 27th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Well looks like I was a few days late to watch it online, However I have mixed feelings about this, anyways.

I HOPE! the true fans who downloaded it will still buy the DVD! Not only because you are a fan and its your dutie to help the sakes of the DVd so they can make more films, but also for the better qualities and extras!

IF i did watch it online I should note I would still of got in on DVD on release, I have all the Stargate DVDs and will not stop now! Even if it is bad (which I am sure ist not) Its still Stargate!

jenks
December 27th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I don't think this leak will have a negative effect on the sales. Those who were planning to pirate the movie would be able to get it about a week before the movie is officially released anyway, so if they get this workprint or a DVDrip doesn't really make much difference IMO.

Hopefully this early leak will help to boost the popularity of this movie :)

Exactly, the film would have been ripped and uploaded on line no matter what, anyone who was genuinely going to buy it isn't going to change their mind because they've got their hands on an unfinished, low-quality copy.

robitaille88
December 27th, 2007, 01:04 PM
At this time I'd like to point out http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/ippd-dppi.nsf/en/h_ip01456e.html which is Canadian study on how p2p downloads affect sales. And in Canada at least, it seems to improve actual physical media sales. I can only hope Ark of Truth follows along those lines :D

the fifth man
December 27th, 2007, 01:22 PM
At this time I'd like to point out http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/ippd-dppi.nsf/en/h_ip01456e.html which is Canadian study on how p2p downloads affect sales. And in Canada at least, it seems to improve actual physical media sales. I can only hope Ark of Truth follows along those lines :D

Man, that would be great. The more sales the better. If these movie do well, SG-1 may get to continue for quite some time.:)

Rocky89
December 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I'm definitely buying the DVD's and I'm paying cash! God, I LOVE SG-1, and I just don't understand one thing. Ok, Look at Startrek, they were cancelled after 3 years, and they were almost always in danger of being cancelled, yet the original cast made 6 theatrical movies, 7 with Kirk, Scotty, and Chekov in Startrek: Generations. Stargate SG-1 on the other hand went 10 years, with over 200 episodes, and they only get 2 direct to DVD movies. What's up with that? They could at least be TV movies. According to a lot of well known facts, SG-1 was, and still is almost in every way much more popular and famous than Startrek, TV guide made an article called "Forget trek", and SG-1 is even the Guinness book of world records for being the longest running sci-fi TV show. Plus like I said above SG-1 alone went 10 years, while every Startrek spin-off went no more than 7 years. So yeah, hopefully if the sells of the DVD's are good enough, they'll make a third or more SG-1 movies, but God I would love to see it on the big screen, as I'm sure other SG-1 fans would.

Stargate SG-1 deserves so much better, at least they're leaving one hell of a legacy behind. Stargate SG-1 will always be remembered, and it'll always be a legend in the Sci-fi world, and not just to a lot of Sci-fi fans, but the so many people the show inspired to go places and do things, like join the airforce, become Scientists and anthropologists. But not just because of the show itself, but more importantly the very brilliant, smart and talented cast. Richard Dean Anderson, Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge, Don S. Davis, and Ben Browder. Not bad for a TV that was originally supposed to go 2 years. Indeed.

deckard256
December 27th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Ive seen it, enjoyed it, and plan on buying it when it comes out. Although some of the ori storyline through the last season was a bit too much cliche, i thought that for the most part this is as good an ending as any for this story.

greentrees
December 27th, 2007, 05:09 PM
yes I agree that we should get the DVD forthe Ark of Truth instead of downloading it. I have espected for a long time,it is said to come out in 11/3/2008 I do love the story and will definitely buy the retail version when available. And I found a pre-order deal (http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=75104) on line.

pisces27
December 27th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I wont' d/l any leaked version and will wait to buy the DVD.

Fenrir Foxz
December 27th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I wont' d/l any leaked version and will wait to buy the DVD.

^One who has resisted the dark path... *Thus far*

andromeda_dan
December 27th, 2007, 10:14 PM
pre-ordered thru AMAZON, thank u. HD quality beats this fuzz ball pirate anyday, anytime, plus there's the behind the scene shots and other perks. Buy the DVD.

xangela
December 28th, 2007, 12:12 AM
It's killing me, but I'm going to wait until the DVD is released and watch it. The first time I see it, I would prefer if it were in all it's glory.

I agree with what other people were saying.. there are some people that weren't going to pay for the movie, regardless of when it leaked.

MechaThor
December 28th, 2007, 05:38 AM
I'm definitely buying the DVD's and I'm paying cash! God, I LOVE SG-1, and I just don't understand one thing. Ok, Look at Startrek, they were cancelled after 3 years, and they were almost always in danger of being cancelled, yet the original cast made 6 theatrical movies, 7 with Kirk, Scotty, and Chekov in Startrek: Generations. Stargate SG-1 on the other hand went 10 years, with over 200 episodes, and they only get 2 direct to DVD movies. What's up with that? They could at least be TV movies. According to a lot of well known facts, SG-1 was, and still is almost in every way much more popular and famous than Startrek, TV guide made an article called "Forget trek", and SG-1 is even the Guinness book of world records for being the longest running sci-fi TV show. Plus like I said above SG-1 alone went 10 years, while every Startrek spin-off went no more than 7 years. So yeah, hopefully if the sells of the DVD's are good enough, they'll make a third or more SG-1 movies, but God I would love to see it on the big screen, as I'm sure other SG-1 fans would.

Stargate SG-1 deserves so much better, at least they're leaving one hell of a legacy behind. Stargate SG-1 will always be remembered, and it'll always be a legend in the Sci-fi world, and not just to a lot of Sci-fi fans, but the so many people the show inspired to go places and do things, like join the airforce, become Scientists and anthropologists. But not just because of the show itself, but more importantly the very brilliant, smart and talented cast. Richard Dean Anderson, Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge, Don S. Davis, and Ben Browder. Not bad for a TV that was originally supposed to go 2 years. Indeed.

I though Stargate was Just Sci-fis channels or North Americas longest running show? Surly DR Who should get the record for the longest running series, maybe not in episode count, but its clearly the king of sci-fi in terms of age?
Anyways that 4 another thread!

ARGH I now can't wait for AOT! I refuse to watch it online (however if I do come acroos it I may give in to the temptation) But I will 100% get it on DVD!
And Continum!

IndianaJones00
December 28th, 2007, 07:42 AM
pre-ordered thru AMAZON, thank u. HD quality beats this fuzz ball pirate anyday, anytime, plus there's the behind the scene shots and other perks. Buy the DVD.

I am confused, are you saying the film is being released in HD? because I had only read about the DVD release.

Personally I wont be getting it on DVD as I no longer buy DVD's, only HD-DVD's or Blu-Ray's so hopefully it wont be too long before it is released or one of those formats.

umopapisdn
December 28th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I though Stargate was Just Sci-fis channels or North Americas longest running show? Surly DR Who should get the record for the longest running series, maybe not in episode count, but its clearly the king of sci-fi in terms of age?
Anyways that 4 another thread!

ARGH I now can't wait for AOT! I refuse to watch it online (however if I do come acroos it I may give in to the temptation) But I will 100% get it on DVD!
And Continum!

Me to, I did watch it but if you don't buy the real DVDs your a theif and also it will put them off making more:)

Egle01
December 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM
And Continum!

That's exactly what I feel and think. ;)

davidiwharper
December 28th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Look at Startrek, they were cancelled after 3 years, and they were almost always in danger of being cancelled, yet the original cast made 6 theatrical movies, 7 with Kirk, Scotty, and Chekov in Startrek: Generations.

There is an explanation for the later success of Star Trek on the DVD extras for the early Trek movies.

Basically, MGM was looking for something - anything - to cash in on the Star Wars phenomenon. TOS episodes were still doing well in re-runs, so they decided to fund a full Trek movie. (Interesting aside: At the time William Shatner was destitute and living in a trailer park.)

IMHO ST:TMP wasn't a great movie at all, but it did very well at the box office for some reason so they decided to make a second movie. And of course, The Wrath of Khan was fantastic so the franchise continued.

Does this mean that a full Stargate movie, probably Continuum style rather than AoT, would do well as a full box office release? I think that one of the reasons Enterprise was cancelled was that Trek was over-saturating the market, what with 14 seasons of TV (DS9 and Voyager) plus four movies all within the preceding 10 years or so. (Mind you, Seasons 1 & 2 of Ent weren't crash hot, IMHO.) Stargate isn't in quite the same position, but still, I can see why TPTB didn't set their hearts on a full theatrical release. Perhaps if the DVD movies do well they would consider a theatrical release for a third movie.

kirmit
December 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Even though I've seen it I will order it the moment it becomes availible on Amazon.co.uk

Falcon Horus
December 28th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I'm going to add my 2 cents, and I'm gonna get yelled at...

It was never my intention to buy the DVD or to watch the leaked version.

It was my intention to dl it first, see if it's worth its money and then decide on buying. I've seen the leaked version and I may actually consider that I don't want it. It's a longwinded episode, and not a good one at that. I've seen better semi-low-budget movies.

Then again, if anyone should know when Region 2 gets it, that would also be nice. For at the moment its only Region 1.

MelbournePates
December 28th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Being in Australia (and having to wait 2-3 years before getting the latest episodes) i've been downloading stargate since season 6, when i heard of this leak my first instinct was to download it. However i've refrained from it for a number of reasons.

1. Much of the special effects (from what i've heard) are not complete, to me the special effects in Stargate have always been top notch and to see anything less is just stupid.

2. Having downloaded the series for a long time i have been giving the show limited to no support (i have two seasons of box sets) and channel 7 always screened it at 11:30 at the earliest maing it hard to watch.
Therefor this is my chance to support it at it's most important hour, to get more movies it needs high DVD sales.

The biggest thing i'm worried about is that this leak will affect the distribution to Australia, i want to be able to buy it, i will be very angry they don't release it here of schedule.

Dev Corvin
December 28th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Being a European viewer (previously living in the UK but now on the mainland), I've never - and would never - pay to watch something shown for free on UK television.

For the last... god knows how long, I've been downloading the HDTV rips of SG1 and Atlantis, usually in 720p, along with the rest of the TV I watch since none of the local stuff is in English; and even if it was, I wouldn't be able to watch the current season until at LEAST 18 months after it aired in the States / Canada.

Frankly, I think paying £15+ for a DVD is ridiculous, especially considering how if it had a cinematic release you'd pay £4 to watch it on a 50 foot screen, and DVD quality is piss-poor at a resolution of only 720x480.

I'll be downloading the DVDRip when it comes out, and probably the HDRip when that comes out as well. If MGM (or any movie production company) wants me to purchase their films, they'll start releasing HD (read, 720p or 1080p) movies for < £5.

Until then, they can swivel as far as I'm concerned lol.

MechaThor
December 29th, 2007, 05:54 AM
There is an explanation for the later success of Star Trek on the DVD extras for the early Trek movies.

Basically, MGM was looking for something - anything - to cash in on the Star Wars phenomenon. TOS episodes were still doing well in re-runs, so they decided to fund a full Trek movie. (Interesting aside: At the time William Shatner was destitute and living in a trailer park.)

IMHO ST:TMP wasn't a great movie at all, but it did very well at the box office for some reason so they decided to make a second movie. And of course, The Wrath of Khan was fantastic so the franchise continued.

Does this mean that a full Stargate movie, probably Continuum style rather than AoT, would do well as a full box office release? I think that one of the reasons Enterprise was cancelled was that Trek was over-saturating the market, what with 14 seasons of TV (DS9 and Voyager) plus four movies all within the preceding 10 years or so. (Mind you, Seasons 1 & 2 of Ent weren't crash hot, IMHO.) Stargate isn't in quite the same position, but still, I can see why TPTB didn't set their hearts on a full theatrical release. Perhaps if the DVD movies do well they would consider a theatrical release for a third movie.

I belive I heard a while back that the guy who made the Original Film (the one shich started it all) That he was going to make 2 more (not using the TV shows timeline) there4 if SG-1 is realised in the cinemas, it MAY. cause some confusion to fans of the film and not the TV series, and get mixed up with an seperate sequals to the original film being made.
Thats why I think they are DVD/TV films.
to avoid any future mix ups.

silkie
December 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Ok, the Ark of Truth is leaked, but this wasn't the final version, so it will be better. I hope every fan will buy the DVD instead of downloading this pirate version. Please, support the next movies that you will have an original SG DVD in March. Thanks. ;)

What will be better? The visuals sure, but not the PLOT or the character moments. Will the idiotic plot mishaps magically disappear in the finished product? Nope, I don't think so. So please guys don't be idiots, buy it only if you find it entertaining, not just to support a franchise. Say you like a certain brand of cereals and the producers decide to switch the production to another flavor will you continue to buy it even if you don't like it in the vane hope that they'll come around and the next batch will be better...
SO DON'T BUY THE MOVIES TO SUPPORT THE FRANCHISE, BUY IT BECAUSE YOU LOVE THEM

Ladyinred
December 29th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I belive I heard a while back that the guy who made the Original Film (the one shich started it all) That he was going to make 2 more (not using the TV shows timeline) there4 if SG-1 is realised in the cinemas, it MAY. cause some confusion to fans of the film and not the TV series, and get mixed up with an seperate sequals to the original film being made.
Thats why I think they are DVD/TV films.
to avoid any future mix ups.

Yeah, he's talking about it at least once a year and nothing happens. I don't believe in Devlin's sequels, personally.

flynn1959
December 29th, 2007, 06:28 AM
[QUOTE=Rocky456;7482707

Stargate SG-1 deserves so much better, at least they're leaving one hell of a legacy behind. Stargate SG-1 will always be remembered, and it'll always be a legend in the Sci-fi world, and not just to a lot of Sci-fi fans, but the so many people the show inspired to go places and do things, like join the airforce, become Scientists and anthropologists. But not just because of the show itself, but more importantly the very brilliant, smart and talented cast. Richard Dean Anderson, Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge, Don S. Davis, and Ben Browder. Not bad for a TV that was originally supposed to go 2 years. Indeed.[/QUOTE]

You forgot Claudia Black and Beau Bridges. Two wonderful actors who added a great deal to the show.:)

Oh and I will be buying AOT in fact I have already pre ordered two copies.

ReganX
December 29th, 2007, 07:32 AM
I HOPE! the true fans who downloaded it will still buy the DVD! Not only because you are a fan and its your dutie to help the sakes of the DVd so they can make more films, but also for the better qualities and extras!

Are you suggesting that if someone watched the leaked version and disliked it, they are still obliged to shell out for a DVD that they do not want?

Frankly, what I've heard of the movie has put me off buying it.

ReganX
December 29th, 2007, 07:34 AM
What will be better? The visuals sure, but not the PLOT or the character moments. Will the idiotic plot mishaps magically disappear in the finished product? Nope, I don't think so. So please guys don't be idiots, buy it only if you find it entertaining, not just to support a franchise. Say you like a certain brand of cereals and the producers decide to switch the production to another flavor will you continue to buy it even if you don't like it in the vane hope that they'll come around and the next batch will be better...

Very well said! Nobody should feel obliged to buy the movie if they don't want it.

flynn1959
December 29th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Really? Can I ask what? I really liked Carter in this, which was a huge shock to me. I was watching in stunned disbelief as I found myself warming to her as the film went on. I know of people on other forums and LJ that had no intention of buying this movie but have been swayed because of all of the positive things they have heard about it.

I am really curious what an obvious Carter fan like yourself could have heard that has put them off this one, as she was very good and had a large part.

Or is it the general theme of the movie you don't like?

Dr Lee
December 29th, 2007, 07:54 AM
ReganX- can ya answer that in PMs rather than in here... I don't want to add this thread ot the list of threads contaminated with leaked copy info.

flynn1959
December 29th, 2007, 08:07 AM
ReganX- can ya answer that in PMs rather than in here... I don't want to add this thread ot the list of threads contaminated with leaked copy info.

Sorry about that, I didn't think. A general answer would do, it doesn't have to contain spoilers.

ReganX
December 29th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Sorry about that, I didn't think. A general answer would do, it doesn't have to contain spoilers.

Frankly, I dislike the Bori storyline, and I dislike Jackson more. It is my understanding that both feature heavily in AoT - Strike One (really the only strike it needed).

Deus Ex Machina through Morgan showing up to save the day and fight Adria. Predictable and already used with Oma and Anubis - Strike Two.

Cambo the hero. Boring. - Strike Three.

It seems to be a film that those who enjoyed Seasons Nine and Ten will enjoy. I'm not one of them so I don't see the point in wasting money and shelf space on the DVD.

jenks
December 29th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Being a European viewer (previously living in the UK but now on the mainland), I've never - and would never - pay to watch something shown for free on UK television.

For the last... god knows how long, I've been downloading the HDTV rips of SG1 and Atlantis, usually in 720p, along with the rest of the TV I watch since none of the local stuff is in English; and even if it was, I wouldn't be able to watch the current season until at LEAST 18 months after it aired in the States / Canada.

Frankly, I think paying £15+ for a DVD is ridiculous, especially considering how if it had a cinematic release you'd pay £4 to watch it on a 50 foot screen, and DVD quality is piss-poor at a resolution of only 720x480.

I'll be downloading the DVDRip when it comes out, and probably the HDRip when that comes out as well. If MGM (or any movie production company) wants me to purchase their films, they'll start releasing HD (read, 720p or 1080p) movies for < £5.

You're a thief, none of that justifies stealing. If something is worth keeping then it's worth buying, you've got no right to have those no matter what price they're asking.

Ladyinred
December 29th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Are you suggesting that if someone watched the leaked version and disliked it, they are still obliged to shell out for a DVD that they do not want?

Judging the movie by yourself, WITHOUT listening to EITHER positive or negative reviews from various parts of the audience is the best solution. I believe you have enough brain cells to make your own opinion about the movie.

jenks
December 29th, 2007, 09:03 AM

No, if you love the movies then buy them because you love them, if you don't, buy them if you still want more. The cereal analogy falls flat on it's arse, we can all agree that there have been crap Stargate episodes in the past, but that doesn't mean we all decided to stop watching, and because we haven't there have been great one's made since.

Ugly Pig
December 29th, 2007, 09:04 AM

If they watched it? Yes. Regardless of whether they liked it or not, entertainment is not free. It is a service provided in exchange for money. If you watch it, you take advantage of that service and you owe MGM at least the dollar amount equivalent to the price of a rental.

silkie
December 29th, 2007, 09:07 AM
No, if you love the movies then buy them because you love them, if you don't, buy them if you still want more. The cereal analogy falls flat on it's arse, we can all agree that there have been crap Stargate episodes in the past, but that doesn't mean we all decided to stop watching, and because we haven't there have been great one's made since.

I think it's idiotic to buy something you don't like as it reinforces TPTB to produce something similar (you already don't like) which leads to you, consumer buying more products you don't like...

jenks
December 29th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I think it's idiotic to buy something you don't like as it reinforces TPTB to produce something similar (you already don't like) which leads to you, consumer buying more products you don't like...

Does it? What are the chances of Continuum and the third movie being anything like AoT?

silkie
December 29th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Does it? What are the chances of Continuum and the third movie being anything like AoT?

By similar I was referring to the huge plot-holes, missed opportunities for character moments, irrational character behavior (or at least OOC), sucky CGI, re-hashed arcs...
What does similar mean to you?
Now don't get me wrong I'll sample Continuum, just like I did Ark of Truth and if I deem it worth buying I'll do it, otherwise -> http://gh33da.com/3DIcons/Recycle_Bin/Recycle_Bin.png

flynn1959
December 29th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Good, I hope. I really don't think Continuum is going to be as bad as a lot of people expect it to be. AOT was supposed to be Carter light and look how wrong that turned out! It was supposed to be all about Daniel/Vala, wrong again.

As for the third movie have we heard anything at all about it yet?

silkie
December 29th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Good, I hope. I really don't think Continuum is going to be as bad as a lot of people expect it to be. AOT was supposed to be Carter light and look how wrong that turned out! It was supposed to be all about Daniel/Vala, wrong again.

As for the third movie have we heard anything at all about it yet?

Did you see AOT? All you people saying how much screen time Sam got in AOT make me wish I've actually saved it to I can clock her actual screen-time! She had less screen time than Tomin for example!

ReganX
December 29th, 2007, 09:26 AM
If they watched it? Yes. Regardless of whether they liked it or not, entertainment is not free. It is a service provided in exchange for money. If you watch it, you take advantage of that service and you owe MGM at least the dollar amount equivalent to the price of a rental.

Considering that the quality is apparently poor compared to the finished product's standard, perhaps a fraction of a rental price.

ReganX
December 29th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Exactly. If you buy something you don't like, you can hardly blame the people producing it if they get the impression that that's what you want.

Serebii
December 29th, 2007, 10:12 AM
By similar I was referring to the huge plot-holes, missed opportunities for character moments, irrational character behavior (or at least OOC), sucky CGI, re-hashed arcs...
What does similar mean to you?
Now don't get me wrong I'll sample Continuum, just like I did Ark of Truth and if I deem it worth buying I'll do it, otherwise -> http://gh33da.com/3DIcons/Recycle_Bin/Recycle_Bin.png
Hang on, Silkie, you're trashing on AoT about bad CGI when it was blatantly the unfinished version that was missing big CGI parts...how the hell do you come to that logic. It seems to me you're now just looking for excuses

And once again, I'm fed up about the use of the term plot holes here. Plot holes are NOT what you people are using the term for, you're using the term for things you dont like. I did not notice any ACTUAL plot holes.

You, my friend, are whats wrong with the tv community in general...you're just trying to pick holes in stuff for NO reason and proclaim everything as crap even if its the unfinished version or your actual understanding of simple terms is messed up

flynn1959
December 29th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Did you see AOT? All you people saying how much screen time Sam got in AOT make me wish I've actually saved it to I can clock her actual screen-time! She had less screen time than Tomin for example!

Yes I did see it, Sam does have as much screen time as the rest of the main characters. I must admit I didn't time Tomin.

If I had the time I would check, as I do have it saved.

Sam had as big a part in AOT as the rest of SG1. Perhaps you just didn't notice her in some scenes?

jenks
December 29th, 2007, 10:22 AM

But how on Earth are they supposed to know what you're imagination is going to throw up next? There were no plot holes, plenty of character moments, everyone was in character and you haven't even seen the finished CGI, so as far as your reaction to new movies goes, we might as well flip a coin as there seems to be no correlation between what you see and your interpretation of it. Assuming this movie was anywhere near as bad as you claim, you've watched the show this far, so surely you think TPTB know how to make a story work or you wouldn't have watched it this long, would you? But if you're going to insist on seeing plot holes where there aren't any, and irrational character moments that don't exist then no, you're not going to like anything they make.

Ladyinred
December 29th, 2007, 10:56 AM
But how on Earth are they supposed to know what you're imagination is going to throw up next? There were no plot holes, plenty of character moments, everyone was in character and you haven't even seen the finished CGI, so as far as your reaction to new movies goes, we might as well flip a coin as there seems to be no correlation between what you see and your interpretation of it. Assuming this movie was anywhere near as bad as you claim, you've watched the show this far, so surely you think TPTB know how to make a story work or you wouldn't have watched it this long, would you? But if you're going to insist on seeing plot holes where there aren't any, and irrational character moments that don't exist then no, you're not going to like anything they make.

Well said. Can't green you at the moment, remind me to do it later :) And you're right, people WANT to see the plot holes in the movie so badly, that they're swearing they exist. And this is entirely FALSE.

Dev Corvin
December 29th, 2007, 02:11 PM
You're a thief, none of that justifies stealing. If something is worth keeping then it's worth buying, you've got no right to have those no matter what price they're asking.

Waahhhh, waaaaaaaaaaaah.... Mommy, I don't like these mean pirates :(

Tell it to someone who cares.

silkie
December 29th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Hang on, Silkie, you're trashing on AoT about bad CGI when it was blatantly the unfinished version that was missing big CGI parts...how the hell do you come to that logic. It seems to me you're now just looking for excuses

And once again, I'm fed up about the use of the term plot holes here. Plot holes are NOT what you people are using the term for, you're using the term for things you dont like. I did not notice any ACTUAL plot holes.

You, my friend, are whats wrong with the tv community in general...you're just trying to pick holes in stuff for NO reason and proclaim everything as crap even if its the unfinished version or your actual understanding of simple terms is messed up

Well said. Can't green you at the moment, remind me to do it later :) And you're right, people WANT to see the plot holes in the movie so badly, that they're swearing they exist. And this is entirely FALSE.

Ok you all people wanted Plot Holes
Here are the major ones

Adria the supreme ascended being doesn't imprison Vala and let's her wander through the palace to free others. Why didn't she destroy the Ark or take it or hide it (seriously she let the Ark in Vala's hands)? Why didn't she simply kill Daniel, Vala and Tomin once they were captured? She, the supreme ascended being could read Vala's, Daniel's, Teal'c's or Tomin's minds not that she really needed to know what they wanted to do! Serously the fight between the IOA controlled by replicators and Cam would have lasted 2.1 seconds (felt completely unrealistic) The Oddy crippled by the replicators wouldn't have resisted to all that firing from the Ori ships for so long. Why did Sam let down the shield surrounding the Original replicator - should have placed it in a cage first! How come the IOA guy had such an easy access to the Asguard core (not to the room, but to the actual core)? The plan to use the Replicators was approved by the IOA - How come Jack let his old team be ambushed like that? So the Priors were easily neutralized by the Ark, what about the rest of the people they would have still believed the Origin for at least some time - look at the fanatics - just because the let's say the Pope stops believing in Jesus tomorrow I don't think billions of Catholics will immediately stop believing too hence Adria's powers would have subsided in hours or days...

Ladyinred
December 29th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Here are the major ones

Adria the supreme ascended being doesn't imprison Vala and let's her wander through the palace to free others. Why didn't she destroy the Ark or take it or hide it (seriously she let the Ark in Vala's hands)? Why didn't she simply kill Daniel, Vala and Tomin once they were captured? She, the supreme ascended being could read Vala's, Daniel's, Teal'c's or Tomin's minds not that she really needed to know what they wanted to do! Serously the fight between the IOA controlled by replicators and Cam would have lasted 2.1 seconds (felt completely unrealistic) The Oddy crippled by the replicators wouldn't have resisted to all that firing from the Ori ships for so long. Why did Sam let down the shield surrounding the Original replicator - should have placed it in a cage first! How come the IOA guy had such an easy access to the Asguard core (not to the room, but to the actual core)? The plan to use the Replicators was approved by the IOA - How come Jack let his old team be ambushed like that? So the Priors were easily neutralized by the Ark, what about the rest of the people they would have still believed the Origin for at least some time - look at the fanatics - just because the let's say the Pope stops believing in Jesus tomorrow I don't think billions of Catholics will immediately stop believing too hence Adria's powers would have subsided in hours or days...

Morgan did say to Daniel in his cell that she distracted Adria to help them, that's when Vala was able to free the others. Plus, Adria although ascended, still is partly human, so she makes mistakes and still isn't perfect, although quite powerfull. The Odyssey was probably upgraded in the Area 51 after the events of Unending, we don't know how much time passed. They probably didn't a cage on Odyssey since they probably didn't expect such situation. Jack who? I don't know the guy. Isn't he retired by now? Believing the Origin and believing the Priors are two different things. Rewatch Line In the Sand, what Tomin and the Prior argued about.

silkie
December 29th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Morgan did say to Daniel in his cell that she distracted Adria to help them, that's when Vala was able to free the others. Plus, Adria although ascended, still is partly human, so she makes mistakes and still isn't perfect, although quite powerfull. The Odyssey was probably upgraded in the Area 51 after the events of Unending, we don't know how much time passed. They probably didn't a cage on Odyssey since they probably didn't expect such situation. Jack who? I don't know the guy. Isn't he retired by now? Believing the Origin and believing the Priors are two different things. Rewatch Line In the Sand, what Tomin and the Prior argued about.

I'm not trying to convince you, but Adria did some mistakes in AOT that my 6 yo cousin wouldn't do while playing video games. She didn't look like an ascended being but oligophrenic...

jenks
December 29th, 2007, 03:16 PM

See, I thought the first post made you look like a child, but this is one blows that out of the water. If you can't post like a teenager let alone an adult, then don't post at all. I was simply letting you know that your juvenile attempt at justifying theft just won't wash, stealing something overpriced is no more moral than stealing a bargain. You can't blame the retailers for your lack of ethics.

jenks
December 29th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Here are the major ones

None of those are plot holes, plot holes are clear contradictions in the established plot, they're not something you don't understand, or a character doing something you don't think they would do. If your 'plot hole' has a question mark at the end of it then it's not a plot hole. If we use the extremely loose definition that your are using then we could find plenty of plot holes in any movie.

garhkal
December 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM

And here is to hoping the law catches up to ya..

WEll said.

And don't come whining to us when the law gets you!

Agent_Dark
December 29th, 2007, 03:38 PM
silkie stop it, you're ruining it for the rest of us who weren't that thrilled by it.

btw, they weren't plot holes. Just semi-lame plot. Something other than the same old 'search for the big powerful weapon to end it all'/Traitorous Earth Organisation/Shooting Replicators in narrow corridors would have been nice (ie Full Circle, Lost City, Reckoning). Why couldn't they go find King Arthur or something? I mean they made a big deal about him in Camelot... yet he's never mentioned again in s10 and now since the Ori storyline is wrapped up we have nfi what/who/where he is or what he's doing. That would have been a much better way to involve Carter and Mitchell than fighting replicators. And it has the bonus of actually having something to do with the Ori story arc.

Ugly Pig
December 29th, 2007, 03:43 PM

How about,

Waahhhh, waaaaaaaaaaaahh... Mommy, I don't wanna pay for stuff! I'm bored and the universe owes me free entertainment!

Agent_Dark
December 29th, 2007, 03:43 PM
also, to those above bagging out downloading - give it a rest. 'The Law' isn't going to catch up to them, they're not 'criminals' (here's an interesting point - who is worse? The individual downloading a game/movie/whatever or the big publishers/studios/executives grossly overcharging the consumer so they can increase their profit margin? I point to the Australian game market as a prime example.)

jenks
December 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM
also, to those above bagging out downloading - give it a rest. 'The Law' isn't going to catch up to them, they're not 'criminals' (here's an interesting point - who is worse? The individual downloading a game/movie/whatever or the big publishers/studios/executives grossly overcharging the consumer so they can increase their profit margin? I point to the Australian game market as a prime example.)

The individual, whether you think somethings priced too highly or not, you're not entitled to it in the first place. Personally, whether it's moral or not, I will download stuff to sample it, if it's worth keeping then I'll buy it, if not it will get deleted. The way I see it - I'm not going to buy a movie that I'm not sure about, so the producers are losing nothing by me downloading it to watch once, if anything they're gaining because I might end up buying something that I otherwise wouldn't have.

Agent_Dark
December 29th, 2007, 03:58 PM
The individual, whether you think somethings priced too highly or not, you're not entitled to it in the first place. Personally, whether it's moral or not, I will download stuff to sample it, if it's worth keeping then I'll buy it, if not it will get deleted. The way I see it - I'm not going to buy a movie that I'm not sure about, so the producers are losing nothing by me downloading it to watch once, if anything they're gaining because I might end up buying something that I otherwise wouldn't have.
but on the same point, how are the big corporations allowed to justify what is basically price fixing? What makes it ok to sell something for a higher price in one country than it does in another? That is why I used the Australian video game market as an example. Why does a digitial download of a game cost twice as much here than it does in the US? There is zero cost on the publishers part to distribute it here compared to the US. Yet they are charging double the price (I'm talking Call of Duty 4 specifically here, as its the latest example. $49.95 USD over Steam in teh US - $88.95 USD over Steam here in Australia. For exactly the same product). Now considering most retailers will sell new releases for about that price and usually higher, you have a massive disparity in prices between the US and Australia that simply cannot be justified on shipping expenses and the difference between the US and Australian dollars, considering teh Aussie dollar is right up there with teh US dollar atm. It's no wonder people download stuff for free. Bugger paying twice as much simply because I live in a different part of the world. If the publisher doesn't want me to 'pirate' it, then they can stop attempting to rip me off.

Dev Corvin
December 29th, 2007, 04:04 PM

Exactly.

Not to mention the fact that the majority of people who download "illegally" would be quite willing to pay for the things they actually mae use of an enjoyed if - as I said before - the prices were reasonable.

This is why the iTunes Music Store proved so popular when it first came out - rather than paying £4 for a single or £15 for an album, people can simply spend £1 or however much it is now buying the songs they actually LIKE, rather than having to pay a premium for the media it's burnt on, the artwork, the distribution costs, etc.

jenks
December 29th, 2007, 04:05 PM
but on the same point, how are the big corporations allowed to justify what is basically price fixing? What makes it ok to sell something for a higher price in one country than it does in another? That is why I used the Australian video game market as an example. Why does a digitial download of a game cost twice as much here than it does in the US? There is zero cost on the publishers part to distribute it here compared to the US. Yet they are charging double the price (I'm talking Call of Duty 4 specifically here, as its the latest example. $49.95 USD over Steam in teh US - $88.95 USD over Steam here in Australia. For exactly the same product). Now considering most retailers will sell new releases for about that price and usually higher, you have a massive disparity in prices between the US and Australia that simply cannot be justified on shipping expenses and the difference between the US and Australian dollars, considering teh Aussie dollar is right up there with teh US dollar atm. It's no wonder people download stuff for free. Bugger paying twice as much simply because I live in a different part of the world. If the publisher doesn't want me to 'pirate' it, then they can stop attempting to rip me off.

It's their product, they can charge what they want, I don't think they need to justify whatever they charge, especially with non essentials like DVDs and games. A lot of the differences in price can be attributed to tax, I don't know about Australia but products are taxed to **** in the UK, a box set costing 30$ in the US can cost the equivalent of 120$ in the UK. All other differences can be put down to the corporation charging what they know people will pay for their product, which is essentially the customers fault anyway.

Fenrir Foxz
December 29th, 2007, 04:10 PM
It's their product, they can charge what they want, I don't think they need to justify whatever they charge, especially with non essentials like DVDs and games. A lot of the differences in price can be attributed to tax, I don't know about Australia but products are taxed to **** in the UK, a box set costing 30$ in the US can cost the equivalent of 120$ in the UK. All other differences can be put down to the corporation charging what they know people will pay for their product, which is essentially the customers fault anyway.

Your right... taxes here are over the top, with SG1 boxsets I usually wait until they go down in price abit before buying(RRP is usually £60 or $120 *Roughly*)... but with AoT I'm making an exception...

Agent_Dark
December 29th, 2007, 04:13 PM
All other differences can be put down to the corporation charging what they know people will pay for their product, which is essentially the customers fault anyway.

Exactly, so I'm not going to fall for that. They want to over charge me, fine. I wont buy it and instead get it via alternative means. Whether that means downloading it, or getting shipped via some Asian wholesaler (if I need a legit cdkey or something) then so be it.

As for tax, we have a Goods and Services Tax that applies almost across the board but that doesn't make up the difference by any means.

Dev Corvin
December 29th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Exactly, so I'm not going to fall for that. They want to over charge me, fine. I wont buy it and instead get it via alternative means. Whether that means downloading it, or getting shipped via some Asian wholesaler (if I need a legit cdkey or something) then so be it.

As for tax, we have a Goods and Services Tax that applies almost across the board but that doesn't make up the difference by any means.

Have you noticed how it's usually the people in the cheap areas (America, Canada, etc) who whine about pirates the most?

If they had to deal with the markup we had to when it comes to the pricing of movies, music, and games, petrol, electronics, etc, then they'd think twice before questioning our decision to obtain things via alternative means.

Agent_Dark
December 29th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Have you noticed how it's usually the people in the cheap areas (America, Canada, etc) who whine about pirates the most?

If they had to deal with the markup we had to when it comes to the pricing of movies, music, and games, petrol, electronics, etc, then they'd think twice before questioning our decision to obtain things via alternative means.

There was a similiar issue with the pricing of Sanctuary (the online web-series that stars Amanda Tapping and is being made by alot of people who worked on Stargate). They were marking up prices based on regions, so essentially people in Australia, New Zealand and Europe were paying higher prices (400% more?) for the exact same content obtained in the exact same way and place as people in the US and Canada. Needless to say, there was a bit of a stink kicked up in their forums and the producers realised that they were using a stupid pricing model and fixed the prices across the board in US dollars. And good on em too, because this is the Internet. It's a global market now, not just localised ones.

Freekzilla
December 29th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Well, I just have this to say....

Even if you saw the leaked version and didn't like it much, buy it anyways. There are two reasons for this:

1.) First and foremost, you are an SG fan. Be loyal. Be faithfull. Be a good fan that sticks by your "friend" SG in it's good times and in it's bad times. EVERY TV show, franchise, and movie series has it's ups and downs. If you didn't like it and think it was scraping the bottom of the barrel, the only direction it can go is up. Just think of how many times SG has entertained you and made you happy. It's time to return the favor. Loyalty always inspires others to work harder to earn your respect. So just buy it.

2.) No SG collection would be complete without it. It would be like eating a Big Mac without that special sauce. You may be quite fine without it, but somehow it's not quite complete. There is some sort of satisfaction you get from having something that is whole and complete. So just buy it.

Ok, so there is more than two reasons to buy it, I can't count. Nobody is perfect.

3.) If you did download it, then you have to buy it! DL'ing is illegal right? Best way to remedy your guilt is to either not do it, or buy it anyways. If you don't want to buy it, then don't dl it. I can see both arguements pro and con DL'ing, but don't short change the people who worked hard on making the show/movie. Especially those poor average joe's that have to work those 20 hour days for peanuts; the rich greedy coporate execs I couldn't care less about. So just buy it.

4.) Who watches an SG episode/movie just once? Do those people even exist? Don't we all re-watch the episodes over and over? I've seen probably every single episode atleast 5 times, if not more. And I'll watch them again. (My parents got me the 10 season box set, AND my aunt got me the single season sets for seasons 1-6, so I have plenty to spare and 4 different DVD players to watch them on, and all in the same room too. LOL Hmm, I could watch 4 episodes all at once! :D) The point is, well, part of it anyways, is that even a bad SG episode/movie is STILL far better that 99% of the TV on now. So why not have this one too? Who knows, you might notice something you missed before. It wouldn't be suprising if there was an easter egg hidden somewhere in the film.

All in all, I'm not trying to sound like a broken record, broken record, broken record, (Te he he), Just buy the bloomin DVD's.

Remember, both SG and Ascension do the body good! And, if you already recognize the candle as fire, then the DVD was burned long ago!;)

RealmOfX
December 29th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Well, I just have this to say....

Even if you saw the leaked version and didn't like it much, buy it anyways. There are two reasons for this:

1.) First and foremost, you are an SG fan. Be loyal. Be faithfull. Be a good fan that sticks by your "friend" SG in it's good times and in it's bad times. EVERY TV show, franchise, and movie series has it's ups and downs. If you didn't like it and think it was scraping the bottom of the barrel, the only direction it can go is up. Just think of how many times SG has entertained you and made you happy. It's time to return the favor. Loyalty always inspires others to work harder to earn your respect. So just buy it.

2.) No SG collection would be complete without it. It would be like eating a Big Mac without that special sauce. You may be quite fine without it, but somehow it's not quite complete. There is some sort of satisfaction you get from having something that is whole and complete. So just buy it.

Ok, so there is more than two reasons to buy it, I can't count. Nobody is perfect.

3.) If you did download it, then you have to buy it! DL'ing is illegal right? Best way to remedy your guilt is to either not do it, or buy it anyways. If you don't want to buy it, then don't dl it. I can see both arguements pro and con DL'ing, but don't short change the people who worked hard on making the show/movie. Especially those poor average joe's that have to work those 20 hour days for peanuts; the rich greedy coporate execs I couldn't care less about. So just buy it.

4.) Who watches an SG episode/movie just once? Do those people even exist? Don't we all re-watch the episodes over and over? I've seen probably every single episode atleast 5 times, if not more. And I'll watch them again. (My parents got me the 10 season box set, AND my aunt got me the single season sets for seasons 1-6, so I have plenty to spare and 4 different DVD players to watch them on, and all in the same room too. LOL Hmm, I could watch 4 episodes all at once! :D) The point is, well, part of it anyways, is that even a bad SG episode/movie is STILL far better that 99% of the TV on now. So why not have this one too? Who knows, you might notice something you missed before. It wouldn't be suprising if there was an easter egg hidden somewhere in the film.

All in all, I'm not trying to sound like a broken record, broken record, broken record, (Te he he), Just buy the bloomin DVD's.

Remember, both SG and Ascension do the body good! And, if you already recognize the candle as fire, then the DVD was burned long ago!;)

And all I have to say is that if you are a good fan and don't like the movie(s) then DON'T buy it. Don't reinforce the production of substandard fare by buying it. [/end sarcasm]

Seriously, people need to get over themselves with the good fan, real fan, WHATEVER fan BS. If you like it then buy it, if you don't like it then don't buy it, make your own decisions as to acceptable quality and vote with your money.

Freekzilla
December 30th, 2007, 01:04 AM
RelmofX,
umm, that's not how I meant it at all. I was trying to be positive and encouraging rather than indifferent. And it was said a bit tongue-in-cheek too. You didn't need to get all rude and insulting with your comments. :mckay: It's merely something to think about. It is nothing to get all hostile and negative about. It's one thing to disagree, but leave the insults out if you please.

Ugly Pig
December 30th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Seriously, people need to get over themselves with the good fan, real fan, WHATEVER fan BS. If you like it then buy it, if you don't like it then don't buy it, make your own decisions as to acceptable quality and vote with your money.

How about: If you want to watch it; buy it.

RealmOfX
December 30th, 2007, 04:42 AM
How about: If you want to watch it; buy it.

Why? Seriously, if you like it buy it. If you don't like it then don't buy it. It's very simple.

I NEVER buy a movie/series until I have seen it. As far as I'm concerned my hard earned money is not going to be wasted on something that I don't like and will not watch again. Then again, if I do like it then I buy it.

Falcon Horus
December 30th, 2007, 05:47 AM
SO DON'T BUY THE MOVIES TO SUPPORT THE FRANCHISE, BUY IT BECAUSE YOU [U]LOVE THEM

*nods* I can only agree.

Now don't get me wrong I'll sample Continuum, just like I did Ark of Truth and if I deem it worth buying I'll do it...

Sampling is the way to go... I never buy anything I haven't heard or seen. Cause I need to know it's worth its money. And at the moment AoT isn't worth a euro. Maybe after seeing the finished version, but I highly doubt it. Adrift didn't get any better either in finished version.

I could time it... I've got practice from my SGA marathon.

Madeleine
December 30th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Why? Seriously, if you like it buy it. If you don't like it then don't buy it. It's very simple.

I NEVER buy a movie/series until I have seen it. As far as I'm concerned my hard earned money is not going to be wasted on something that I don't like and will not watch again. Then again, if I do like it then I buy it.

Why? Do you leave off paying for your cinema ticket till after the film ends? Do you pay for your ice-skating after you've spent two hours assessing the quality of the ice? Do you pay for clothes after you've worn them?

The people who make - and therefore own both morally and legally the right to decide how to sell it - have chosen to make it available for payment. Who are you to decide that you are to be allowed to take it without paying?

If you aren't going to be paying for stuff, you shouldn't be helping yourself to it.

Falcon Horus
December 30th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Do you leave off paying for your cinema ticket till after the film ends?

Most people watch the trailer and decide whether it's worth their while.

Though I know that there is an option during the sneak preview to leave the cinema 15 minutes into the movie and you'll get your money back if you don't like it.

Do you pay for your ice-skating after you've spent two hours assessing the quality of the ice?

I'll just sue the place when I hurt myself badly because the ice was bad and I fell. Or when my toes are frozen. :p

Do you pay for clothes after you've worn them?

We sample the clothing by seeing if they fit in the store.

Who are you to decide that you are to be allowed to take it without paying?

If it's for personal use, no one can say a thing about it. You can object, but you can't do anything about it.

Madeleine
December 30th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Most people watch the trailer and decide whether it's worth their while.

Most people, yeah. A select few feel they have the right to watch the entire thing and then decide.

I'll just sue the place when I hurt myself badly because the ice was bad and I fell. Or when my toes are frozen. :p

LOL

We sample the clothing by seeing if they fit in the store.

Yup. We try it on for a little while, and then we pay or we put it back. We don't wear it properly and get use out of it before paying.

If it's for personal use, no one can say a thing about it. You can object, but you can't do anything about it.

Same goes for internet fraud, murder, graffiti or spitting. I can object to it, but I've never in my life prevented any. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop objecting :D

rockerlad
December 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Just watch the leaked version..............and i have got to say it was brilliant and its made me want the DVD even more.
Roll on April.

Franklyn Blaze
December 30th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Why? Do you leave off paying for your cinema ticket till after the film ends? Do you pay for your ice-skating after you've spent two hours assessing the quality of the ice? Do you pay for clothes after you've worn them?

The people who make - and therefore own both morally and legally the right to decide how to sell it - have chosen to make it available for payment. Who are you to decide that you are to be allowed to take it without paying?

If you aren't going to be paying for stuff, you shouldn't be helping yourself to it.
If a movie's rubbish and there's nothing else I'd rather see I walk out and request my money back, the manager is more than happy to comply. My sister did it once and I thought it was a great idea. Sometimes the trailer is all the best bits of the movie and the rest stinks.

RealmOfX
December 30th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Well gee, aren't you making assumptions!!

The reason I never buy a movie/series until I see it, and I see it through LEGAL means, is that I saw it -

at the cinema / on TV
through one of my friends who has bought it
or if by some strange chance one of the myriad of my sci-fi friends hasn't bought it then I'll rent it on the $1 Tuesday special or use a freebie voucher from the video store

Did I get to see AoT before it was released? Yep, someone else had it but most of my friends have the same policy as I do. So if on occasion it looks like a movie/series won't be released at the same time in our country some of us see it earlier. I always do so on the provisio that I see the ofiicial release through LEGAL means thereby not hurting the makers or the artists.

My complaint here is about the people trying to coerce people to buy or not buy according to their personal liking of AoT. I especially detest the people who use the many variations of "you're not a true/good/whatever fan" if you don't agree with whatever stance they are purporting.

There are two sides to the issue here of this thread

buy the DVD even if you don't like it so as to support the future production of movies
don't buy it if you don't like it because it is sending the wrong message to the producers that you actually like the less than stellar drivel that they are providing and will quite possibly ensure that they produce more of the same in the future which you won't watch either

and each case has it's own merits.

All I'm saying is make up your own mind - if you like it buy it and if you don't like it then don't buy it. Simple really.

jenks
December 30th, 2007, 02:52 PM
That's a bit of a contradiction.

Agent_Dark
December 30th, 2007, 02:56 PM
ffs, why do people care whether other people buy the movies? They're going to either buy it or not buy it. They're not going to give a **** what you say...

andromeda_dan
December 30th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I am confused, are you saying the film is being released in HD? because I had only read about the DVD release.

Personally I wont be getting it on DVD as I no longer buy DVD's, only HD-DVD's or Blu-Ray's so hopefully it wont be too long before it is released or one of those formats.
My mistake...it's coming out on DVD, but the quality is 'Higher Definition' (oopps...not HIGH DEFINITION :cameron:) than this fuzzy pirate. BUY THE DVD, BUY THE DVD, BUY THE DVD...repeat after me ...BUY THE DVD (record the mantra and play it while you all sleep) BUY THE DVD

Dr Lee
December 30th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I think SG DVDs as a whole won't be sold in HD-DVD but BluRay.

Karyyk
December 30th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Probably 90% of the people on these boards feel the same way. Fans are like that...

I think the fear here is that those who aren't the biggest SG-1 fans are likely to just download and watch it rather than pick up the DVD. Personally I don't think that's the case, because most of them haven't any idea that there's an SG-1 movie in the works and certainly aren't going to try finding it to download. Piracy is always an issue these days, but it will be more of an issue after release when you have DivX encoded versions ripped directly from the DVD.

Konrad9
December 30th, 2007, 07:59 PM
The real problem here is that a lot of idiots seem to think the movie getting leaked before being finalized is shocking.

AoT was going to get put up for illegal download without this leak.

It will get put up for illegal download when the DVD is released. It was going to happen anyways, it will happen. I know this will happen. It happens with every DVD movie, it happens with every episode of TV that more than 5 people watch. It will happen with Continuum, it will happen with the next Stargate movies if they are made.

December 30th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Bump for this thread!

I've watched it twice already and will most DEFINITELY purchase!

PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE buy a copy and support the show and DVD movies!!!

Fenrir Foxz
December 30th, 2007, 08:24 PM
The real problem here is that a lot of idiots seem to think the movie getting leaked before being finalized is shocking.

AoT was going to get put up for illegal download without this leak.

I didn't find it shocking, and I would say that most people are more concerned than shocked at the leak and what effect it will have on the future of SG-1 Direct2DvD movies...

It will get put up for illegal download when the DVD is released. It was going to happen anyways, it will happen. I know this will happen. It happens with every DVD movie, it happens with every episode of TV that more than 5 people watch. It will happen with Continuum, it will happen with the next Stargate movies if they are made.

Yeah it will without a shadow of a doubt... as soon as a new copy protection scheme is implimented on anything dvds/software etc, someone will find a way round it and the pirating process continues...

My biggest concern with the whole pirating of AoT *and Continuum when it comes out* is that any Stargate fan who really wants Sg1 to continue but would rather download the films instead of buying them, will without fully realising it increase the chances of any future films being scrapped because MGM/FoX feel the return of these direct2dvd films wasn't enough to substantiate any future Stargate films being produced...

It's is sad really that just a few could ruin it for all...

Agent_Dark
December 30th, 2007, 08:28 PM
It's is sad really that just a few could ruin it for all...
a few will not ruin it for all... after all, if its only a few then there's no big impact on sales is there?

Fenrir Foxz
December 30th, 2007, 08:33 PM
a few will not ruin it for all... after all, if its only a few then there's no big impact on sales is there?

Yeah but what I mean is that it only takes a few to start it off... a handful of people that think there is not harm in obtaining the film by download and before ya know it more will follow believing the same...

Agent_Dark
December 30th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Yeah but what I mean is that it only takes a few to start it off... a handful of people that think there is not harm in obtaining the film by download and before ya know it more will follow believing the same...

you're expecting people to be going around campaigning for everyone else to download it? Thats not how it works... It will be there to download, via torrents or via usenet or via whatever. It's not in your face, and if people are bothered to find it they will.

Here's a better idea. How about you let the merits of the movie speak for itself? If people think it's good enough they'll probably buy it. If they dont like it, then they wont buy it. Simple as that.

Nightspore
December 30th, 2007, 08:57 PM

So then all the people who usually buy these kinds of things "used" at a cheaper price later through Amazon or some other place are also contributing to scrapping of any future films?

Yes, if a few start down that evil path, the rest will automatically follow...we are, indeed, just lemmings, after all.:(

Fenrir Foxz
December 30th, 2007, 09:20 PM
you're expecting people to be going around campaigning for everyone else to download it? Thats not how it works... It will be there to download, via torrents or via usenet or via whatever. It's not in your face, and if people are bothered to find it they will.

I would hope people on this site will have more consideration for the franchise that to go around advocating AoT for download when the official version is released... And I know how it works the whole downloading deal, from the sites and how they operate right down to the person living down the road offering cheap copy dvds... I have no big problem with it, what other people do is there choice...

Here's a better idea. How about you let the merits of the movie speak for itself? If people think it's good enough they'll probably buy it. If they dont like it, then they wont buy it. Simple as that.

Yeah thats true, but this thread was started to get the message across that you'll only be hurting the franchise in the end if you want to see the film enough to download it, and would rather have a pirated version that be fair to the people who have worked hard making this show a success over the last 10 years...

I am not telling people that they MUST buy the dvds, on how good the film is and the fact that most fans will want the official version, that alone will be a definate selling factor...

Agent_Dark
December 30th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah thats true, but this thread was started to get the message across that you'll only be hurting the franchise in the end if you want to see the film enough to download it, and would rather have a pirated version that be fair to the people who have worked hard making this show a success over the last 10 years...
the only thing that will harming or helping the franchise is the quality of the products they put out. Not the fans.

Fenrir Foxz
December 30th, 2007, 09:30 PM
So then all the people who usually buy these kinds of things "used" at a cheaper price later through Amazon or some other place are also contributing to scrapping of any future films?

Yes, if a few start down that evil path, the rest will automatically follow...we are, indeed, just lemmings, after all.:(

No... that's not what I'm getting at, I usually wait for dvds to come down in price a bit before buying *especially boxsets* the prices from tax here in the UK is OTT... but AoT I'll be making an exception just to do my bit for more SG-1 movies, I don't want the stories to end, especially on such a note like downloads effecting sales...

**And yes I know that nothing can really be done to stop the pirating of AoT from happening on its release but I would prefer any and all fans considering downloading it instead of buying the official version to realise what it could mean for something that we all enjoy...**

Nightspore
December 30th, 2007, 09:49 PM
No... that's not what I'm getting at, I usually wait for dvds to come down in price a bit before buying *especially boxsets* the prices from tax here in the UK is OTT... but AoT I'll be making an exception just to do my bit for more SG-1 movies, I don't want the stories to end, especially on such a note like downloads effecting sales...

**And yes I know that nothing can really be done to stop the pirating of AoT from happening on its release but I would prefer any and all fans considering downloading it instead of buying the official version to realise what it could mean for something that we all enjoy...**

I don't think a significant number of people are considering downloading it "INSTEAD" of buying it. The majority of people here who've downloaded it say they can't wait to buy the DVD when it comes out. The rest of the viewing audience (who doesn't hang out on the Internet) has no clue it is available for download so it won't factor into their decision to buy it or not buy it.

On the contrary, there might be cases where a fan thought they wouldn't buy it, has seen it and changed their mind. And, of course, there might be the monetarily challenged fan who might have given up their food money for a few days or a week, to buy the DVD, but now doesn't have to do that because they've already seen it for free. And there's a percentage of people who had no interest in buying it; having seen it already hasn't changed their mind.

Personally, I'm not going to do my bit to support more Stargate movies being made, because I didn't enjoy S9/10 and I thought AoT was badly written. I'm glad you enjoy them, but my generosity only goes so far.:)

garhkal
December 30th, 2007, 09:59 PM
also, to those above bagging out downloading - give it a rest. 'The Law' isn't going to catch up to them, they're not 'criminals'

How is illegally downloading something NOT being a criminal??

but on the same point, how are the big corporations allowed to justify what is basically price fixing? What makes it ok to sell something for a higher price in one country than it does in another?

Easy. Cost of shipping, distribution, inport prices, etc.... Also local economics (such as taxes) can make a big difference.

No we would not.. It does not matter how much i pay for something, i am not going to break the law to get it.

And that does not change its illegality. I could walk into a store and take something for personal use and get thrown in jail for stealing.. How is you illegally downloading it any different?

Rape and murder still happen, does not make them right.

Fenrir Foxz
December 30th, 2007, 10:17 PM

Illegal downloads are criminal... and business' loose money hand over fist coz of 'em... How would any of you like it if you worked you a** off producing something only to have it stolen/copied... you'd feel violated right? I know I would...
Personally I don't care too much for the big busness' and corporations, they get by with loosing millions from illegal downloading of their products... It's just peanuts to them even though they can play hell about their loss...

But what about those that make the things we like happen though, the writers/producers, the Actors/Actresses and all the other people involved in production of these shows...

I bet JM's worst thing about this Christmas was finding out about the leak and how it 'could harm the franchise'...

EmmaPeel
December 30th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Illegal downloads are criminal... and business' loose money hand over fist coz of 'em... How would any of you like it if you worked you a** off producing something only to have it stolen/copied... you'd feel violated right? I know I would...
Personally I don't care too much for the big busness' and corporations, they get by with loosing millions from illegal downloading of their products... It's just peanuts to them even though they can play hell about their loss...

But what about those that make the things we like happen though, the writers/producers, the Actors/Actresses and all the other people involved in production of these shows...

I bet JM's worst thing about this Christmas was finding out about the leak and how it 'could harm the franchise'...

Well fine, since they are criminal, then those who don't want to engage in any criminal activity should not view the movie until the DVD comes out in March.

Those other people who actually sometimes cross a street against a red light, go 5 miles over the speed limit on occasion, use bootlegged software at times, but still draw the line at murder, rape, and stealing from babies and old people, can do what they see fit in terms of watching AoT early or downloading it.

As Agent Dark said, your preaching isn't going to change anyone's mind, fcol.

Fenrir Foxz
December 30th, 2007, 10:48 PM

Well I don't want to see SG-1 go belly-up is all...

And I cannot understand why people have a problem with that!

*I suppose many on this site download Illegal stuff and don't like the guilt trip, well I'm not preaching downloads are evil...*
Ruining the future of Stargate to save money is!!!

Franklyn Blaze
December 30th, 2007, 10:55 PM

I agree completely. The people who were always going to download it will and have downloaded it. The people who were going to definitely buy it are and a leak hasn't changed their minds. People campaign as if their won't be a dvdrip either, there will, and people will download it. The people who already downloaded the leak will most likely download that, and nothing will have changed in the grand scheme of things. Nothing. If it's one thing I've learned on GW, (especially in the OT section) you can't change someone's mind over the internet.

EmmaPeel
December 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Well I don't want to see SG-1 go belly-up is all...

And I cannot understand why people have a problem with that!

What I have a problem with (and perhaps others might) is your idea that those who download the movie are going to contribute to the Stargate franchise going belly up, when none of the available evidence points to that conclusion.

How many people have you heard on these forums say that they aren't going to download AoT now because they already seen it? Not many at all. Most who've downloaded it have said they can't wait to get the *finished* copy in March.

If you're really concerned with the franchise going belly up, then maybe you should buy many extra copies to make up for all the enormous amount of money that you think will be lost because a very small percentage of online fans are downloading AoT.

Agent_Dark
December 30th, 2007, 11:39 PM
because generally to be held liable under criminal law you need to partake in actually distributing those files. Civil law would be different though.. but you dont go to jail for that.

Easy. Cost of shipping, distribution, inport prices, etc.... Also local economics (such as taxes) can make a big difference.
You've missed the point in my post there mate. My specific example was of a digital download - there is zero cost in shipping, distributing and importing electronic files from one server to my PC. And its not taxes either, because its only a couple of dollars of GST to add ontop. You cannot justify a 100% markup because I live in Australia, not the US. That's not even the best part - the server that I would have used to download the files from is located IN Australia and owned by my own ISP!! (to clarify, they have no say in the price, they're just mirroring the content).

If you're going to compare rape and murder to downloading a movie, then you've already lost the argument

Madeleine
December 31st, 2007, 12:11 AM
Well gee, aren't you making assumptions!!

The reason I never buy a movie/series until I see it, and I see it through LEGAL means, is that I saw it -

at the cinema / on TV
through one of my friends who has bought it
or if by some strange chance one of the myriad of my sci-fi friends hasn't bought it then I'll rent it on the $1 Tuesday special or use a freebie voucher from the video store

LOL If you want to play the indignant outrage card, better not publicly admit to stuff like

Did I get to see AoT before it was released? Yep,

And I'm assuming that since you've seen a film that has only been released by ILLEGAL (hahaha, does underlining it make it more special than bigging it?) means, that what you said about never buying it till you've seen it legally is irrelevant. You've seen it illegally (I think the word means the same even if it's small, now I look hard at it). Now, are you going to pay for what you took? Are your friends going to pay for what they took?

Dev Corvin
December 31st, 2007, 12:26 AM
I find it quite funny that some of the responses to this thread mentioned the "guilt" of those who download films "illegally". I myself have never felt guilty for downloading something which is shown free on television every day back home, nor have I ever felt guilty for installing software software that I simply wouldn't be able to afford and therefore use if I had to obtain it legally.

In fact, most people who "illegally" download movies, music, and software do so because they're unable to afford them retail; in which case, if they DIDN'T download the media, they'd simply go without - ie, the number of sales would remain unaffected.

Madeleine
December 31st, 2007, 12:35 AM
Yeah, I can't afford to pay for a train ticket, but it's going my way anyway, so why shouldn't I just ride anyway? It's a downhill journey so my extra weight won't make any difference to the diesel. Sod all the people whose honesty is subsidising me, sod the people who can scarce afford it the same as me but pay anyway.

Since when does "I can't afford it" translate to "I should be allowed to help myself to it"?

Agent_Dark
December 31st, 2007, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I can't afford to pay for a train ticket, but it's going my way anyway, so why shouldn't I just ride anyway? It's a downhill journey so my extra weight won't make any difference to the diesel. Sod all the people whose honesty is subsidising me, sod the people who can scarce afford it the same as me but pay anyway.

Since when does "I can't afford it" translate to "I should be allowed to help myself to it"?
dodgy analogy. a better one would be, why are they charging me twice as much as the other person for teh same train ride?

Franklyn Blaze
December 31st, 2007, 12:42 AM
In fact, most people who "illegally" download movies, music, and software do so because they're unable to afford them retail; in which case, if they DIDN'T download the media, they'd simply go without - ie,

This is false. I know plenty of people who can afford a piece of software, dvds, games etc. but choose to download or copy media because they fall into the cheap arse tightwad category. If you really wanted something you'd save up your money like you did when you were 10 and go buy something, or charge it like most adults do and pay it off. No, people download something because they can and more importantly it's free, for them. The only reason sales will be unaffected will be that those people are a constant on the internet and only buy something if there is no way to obtain for free. (need passkey, internet applications and games)

MechaThor
December 31st, 2007, 04:36 AM
I have givern in to the Tempation and wtached It, and I liked it!

ALSO I WILL buy the DVD on realse. There4 Stargate have done me proud and will get my money!

bring on MARCH!

Falcon Horus
December 31st, 2007, 05:46 AM
No, people download something because they can and more importantly it's free, for them.

Or they want to sample it first, and see if it's worth its money.

For example: A couple of months ago I wanted to buy latest Nelly Furtado CD because I thought it would be a good one. I downloaded it to check if I should head out to the CD-store and add it to the collection of ever growing CD's, DVD's and games. It was the biggest let down in history and I was glad I was able to spend the money for her CD on the one from Timbaland instead who was worth the buying.

Same goes with AoT... It did not in the least bit impress me that I'm going to run over to the store and get it. I could use that money to buy me season 4 of The 4400, or the new season of BSG or Without A Trace.

ReganX
December 31st, 2007, 08:41 AM
Exactly.

Not to mention the fact that the majority of people who download "illegally" would be quite willing to pay for the things they actually mae use of an enjoyed if - as I said before - the prices were reasonable.

In some ways, downloads can be good advertising for a movie.

A while back, I came across a few episodes of "Charmed" available to watch online. I hadn't seen it in years, but I was bored, so I started watching and my interest in the show was rekindled. A couple of months later, I had collected all eight seasons on DVD. Had I not seen the online episodes, it is unlikely that I would have become interested in it again, and I wouldn't have bought the DVDs.

Using another example, if I buy a movie on DVD and invite a few friends over to watch it, should each of them then be obliged to buy their own copy that movie whether they want to or not? They're watching it free, and they're watching a better quality movie than they would if they downloaded it.

It is possible that one of those friends might have planned to buy the movie and decided against it after seeing it, but it is also possible that another friend may have had no intention of buying a copy until they saw it at my house and liked it.

MechaThor
December 31st, 2007, 10:07 AM
In some ways, downloads can be good advertising for a movie.

A while back, I came across a few episodes of "Charmed" available to watch online. I hadn't seen it in years, but I was bored, so I started watching and my interest in the show was rekindled. A couple of months later, I had collected all eight seasons on DVD. Had I not seen the online episodes, it is unlikely that I would have become interested in it again, and I wouldn't have bought the DVDs.

Using another example, if I buy a movie on DVD and invite a few friends over to watch it, should each of them then be obliged to buy their own copy that movie whether they want to or not? They're watching it free, and they're watching a better quality movie than they would if they downloaded it.

It is possible that one of those friends might have planned to buy the movie and decided against it after seeing it, but it is also possible that another friend may have had no intention of buying a copy until they saw it at my house and liked it.

I have a similar story, kinda. RED vs Blue is put online for free by its makers anyways, so its not illegal to watch it online for free. and after watching them ALL online. I still got all 5 series on DVD! Even if they are still online! There4 sometimes watching shows online can still make money. The same with Music. I like 36 Crazyfists, however would have never found them if I had not downloaded one of their songs, by mistake. While downloading some Killswitch Engage songs. Because of that, I have now Purcahsed the CDs of ALL the current 36 Crazyfist Albums and All but one of the Killswitch Engage albums.
There4 without online I would have never decided I liked them bands and brought their albums!

As for watching a DVd at a friends house, or having them round mine, watching one of my DVDs, Whats wrong with that? I don't understand how some can complain about that, its perfectly legal! If you copied the disc and gave it to all your friends, that would be illegal!

Turns out this was my last post of 2007, so HAPPY NEW YEAR!

ReganX
December 31st, 2007, 10:51 AM
As for watching a DVd at a friends house, or having them round mine, watching one of my DVDs, Whats wrong with that? I don't understand how some can complain about that, its perfectly legal! If you copied the disc and gave it to all your friends, that would be illegal!

Absolutely nothing, and you're right that it is legal. If you watch the film at a friend's house, or online, then in both scenarios, you're watching the film without paying for it. I don't think that anyone would seriously argue that someone who watches a movie at a friend's house owes the company who produced that film the price of a rental, as it was suggested earlier in the thread that those who watched the downloaded version do.

Traveler Enroute1
December 31st, 2007, 11:02 AM
I made a personal choice years ago to not purchase bootlegs of any media, nor download them.

No one can police everyone's purchases (although the University of Oregon shoved back when the Recording Industry Association of America pushed for them to reveal info on students suspected of sharing files: NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/31/us/31bar.html?ref=education). Going too far of course but the stakes are high for the industry and its profit-status quo.

Just a note to consider in the discussion. The laws seem to be on the corporation's side and getting caught is expensive, esp if you're a student/youngster, the primary targets for "compensation." The way is paved for all copyrighted materials, so be careful.

Just sayin', I don't know if my personal decision helps, but for sure it won't hurt a franchise I love. Just my humble O. :indeed:

garhkal
December 31st, 2007, 05:35 PM
I find it quite funny that some of the responses to this thread mentioned the "guilt" of those who download films "illegally". I myself have never felt guilty for downloading something which is shown free on television every day back home, nor have I ever felt guilty for installing software software that I simply wouldn't be able to afford and therefore use if I had to obtain it legally.

In fact, most people who "illegally" download movies, music, and software do so because they're unable to afford them retail; in which case, if they DIDN'T download the media, they'd simply go without - ie, the number of sales would remain unaffected.

And if they cannot get it, why do they feel hey are intitled to it>?> I would love a mercadies benz, but wont go out and steal one just cause i want it..

This is false. I know plenty of people who can afford a piece of software, dvds, games etc. but choose to download or copy media because they fall into the cheap arse tightwad category.

Or they just don't give a hoot about following the law. Or like many i know at work (who i DO give hell for it) do it cause they feel cool cause of it.

To most of those i know who download, they don't care to buy the stuff they are downloading, they would rather rip it, copy it from someone else or download it from a torrent site so they don't HAVE to buy it...

Freekzilla
December 31st, 2007, 10:53 PM
Absolutely nothing, and you're right that it is legal. If you watch the film at a friend's house, or online, then in both scenarios, you're watching the film without paying for it. I don't think that anyone would seriously argue that someone who watches a movie at a friend's house owes the company who produced that film the price of a rental, as it was suggested earlier in the thread that those who watched the downloaded version do.

I wouldn't put it past the corp execs to try though. They are a really depraved bunch. They're more evil than the Ori, Wraith, Asuran/Replicators, and Goa'uld combined! :lol:

I'm not 100% sure, but the way the copyright law is written, one could argue that having a party where friends come over and are watching it at your house is violating the copyright law. It would have to be a serious nit picking, hair splitting, uptight view to do so, but one could argue it. What I am referring to is the part in the US law that talks about public performance/exibition. I doubt the arguement would work, but I wouldn't put it past any of the corp execs to try.

I myself got hit with a Infringement notice once for downloading a movie. They were all threatening and agressive and all. But, I hit back at the company involved because what I had downloaded was for a class I was teaching in video editing and compositing and the material was teaching material, and therefore did not violate copyright under fair use. Thankfully the college's Copyright office helped me out with what to do. Never the less, the company involved went away and never bothered me again.

Point is, I wouldn't put anything past any of the corporate executives. They don't care about anything, especially the "artist", except about how much they can line their pockets. So just be careful. They tend to sue first, ask questions later.

Fenrir Foxz
December 31st, 2007, 11:00 PM
10 Weeks till AoT is Officially Released...

Gatorade
January 1st, 2008, 01:09 AM
I never thought I would do this, but i erased the movie after about 2 minutes of watching it... will wait to rent it or buy it. I want to see the quality product not some half ass rip.

garhkal
January 2nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Good for you..

ReganX
January 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but the way the copyright law is written, one could argue that having a party where friends come over and are watching it at your house is violating the copyright law. It would have to be a serious nit picking, hair splitting, uptight view to do so, but one could argue it. What I am referring to is the part in the US law that talks about public performance/exibition. I doubt the arguement would work, but I wouldn't put it past any of the corp execs to try.

Seriously? The warning on my DVDs usually says that they're licenced for home use, so as long as I was watching it in my house, surely they don't expect me to chase everyone else out of the living room every time I want to watch it.

What about lending DVDs to a friend? - I don't make a habit of charging, so it hardly qualifies as renting it out.

ToasterOnFire
January 3rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
The RIAA has recently stated that ripping CDs that you own for your own personal use (such as uploading mp3 tracks onto the computer or iPod) is "unauthorized". One lawyer for Sony even stated that copying your own music in this manner was stealing. I don't believe that they've actually gone after anyone for doing so (because they'd have their asses handed to them thanks to fair use laws), but their negative stance is worrisome.

Along those lines, I wouldn't be surprised if the MPAA frowned upon people getting together to watch a DVD or people lending out DVDs. Think of all that lost profit! :S

Freekzilla
January 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
Seriously? The warning on my DVDs usually says that they're licenced for home use, so as long as I was watching it in my house, surely they don't expect me to chase everyone else out of the living room every time I want to watch it.

What about lending DVDs to a friend? - I don't make a habit of charging, so it hardly qualifies as renting it out.

Like I said. I don't see it happening, BUT, I wouldn't put it past them. It's not so much about whether you would charge them or not, but about "public exhibition". Technically, if you played it on your front lawn on a big screen TV, anyone passing by could see it and therefore could be considered a "public exhibition", which could be argued to be in violation of copyright law here in the US. But that's just the way the law is written. "Home Use" usually applies only to you and your immediate family/household. Anyone else is technically outside the purview of the license.

And as far as lending a DVD out to a friend, that's technically illegal too. It's outside your household, you're not viewing it, and he didn't pay to view it. That's really no different than making a copy for him to watch, which is clearly illegal for the reasons stated above. And when I say pay for it, I mean the studios/corporations and their cut. And really, the indepth nuts and bolts of the law is that you don't actually "own" the movie at all. You own the media it's on and are licensed to have that movie on the disk/tape for which it was distributed on. According to the law, it's actually more like a permanent single fee rental than actually owning anything except the medium itself. And it's been illegal for a while too. Even so back when VHS came out and gained popularity. They knew it was being done with VHS but had no way to really find out exactly who, nor could they go after everyone. But with the net, it's different, they can track people down and make an example of them. I even heard about some talk about the possibility of making DVD's "limited play", like tied to a specific player and/or for a certain number of viewings. Not going to happen, but that's what the corpies are talking about. It's all about control, and how they (the studios, corp execs, etc) can maintain it. The laws clearly favor the industry over the individual.

jenks
January 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
The legislation is ridiculous, what's the point in making laws that can't be enforced?

Freekzilla
January 3rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
The RIAA has recently stated that ripping CDs that you own for your own personal use (such as uploading mp3 tracks onto the computer or iPod) is "unauthorized". One lawyer for Sony even stated that copying your own music in this manner was stealing. I don't believe that they've actually gone after anyone for doing so (because they'd have their asses handed to them thanks to fair use laws), but their negative stance is worrisome.

Along those lines, I wouldn't be surprised if the MPAA frowned upon people getting together to watch a DVD or people lending out DVDs. Think of all that lost profit! :S

Exactly. Their stance is VERY VERY strict and aggressive. They may not have gone after anyone for copying their own music, but as you said, they sure would like to. Would put the fear into people, and they'd therefore be able to control the market, and thus the people. And I'm quite sure they keep a close eye on how things are shuffled around with indiviual users, just looking for a chance to pounce on something. Both the RIAA and MPAA are VERY strict and negative in the way they view things. But the RIAA is the worse of the two. The funny thing is, both the RIAA and MPAA have violated copyright laws a number of times themselves and nothing happened to them. Well, the RIAA did have something happen because they got caught and the copyright holder went after them. Of course, people cheered!

Here's a couple of links to articles about the MPAA and RIAA violating the rules themselves and what they think about the issue. Talk about hypocrits!

http://www.lockergnome.com/outsider/2007/02/19/mpaa-violates-copyright/
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/irony/mpaas-university-toolkit-taken-down-for-violating-copyright-329648.php
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9839170-7.html?tag=nefd.only

And here's a doozy of an article illustrating what the RIAA/MPAA would like to do:
http://blogs.oreilly.com/digitalmedia/2001/10/riaa-threatened-by-antiterrori.html

It just makes you wonder where this will all go. I can't really think of anything else that I can't atleast test out before I buy it. I can get a sample of lunch meat at the deli to see if I like it and want to buy it. I can take a car for a test drive before hand. I can even peruse a magazine at the book store before I buy it. More and more of what we buy is becoming specialized in that, we cannot make it ourselves, so we have to rely on corporations making those products for us to purchase. Yet, there are virtually no laws protecting the consumers from corporate abuses such as price gouging and market manipulation. There's very little that the average consumer can do to protect themselves.

garhkal
January 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM

IMO while it happens, i can easily see some lawyer stating that is going beyond fair use..

The legislation is ridiculous, what's the point in making laws that can't be enforced?

This is them trying to enforce it.

robitaille88
January 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM
To most of those i know who download, they don't care to buy the stuff they are downloading, they would rather rip it, copy it from someone else or download it from a torrent site so they don't HAVE to buy it...

For me anyway, I seem to download movies and such that I would probably never buy otherwise. The ones that I would buy (if torrents never existed) I still end up buying.

And like I've posted several times at Gateworld, check out http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/ippd-dppi.nsf/en/h_ip01456e.html for a Canadian study done on p2p effects on sales.

garhkal
January 4th, 2008, 08:55 PM
For me anyway, I seem to download movies and such that I would probably never buy otherwise. The ones that I would buy (if torrents never existed) I still end up buying.

Which is one of the things i am on about. if you never intend to buy it anyway why download it?

MechaThor
January 6th, 2008, 06:39 AM

That is STUPID! By that law, anyone who has an MP3 or Ipod and has msuic on it, would be considered "breaking the LAW"!
I hate all these stupid laws, If they say loading music from a CD you brought!, then copying that to an MP3 or game Console like the Xbox 360 is illegal. Why sell MP3 PLAYERS? It would not be illegal to own one, but putting copied muisic from an album is? WTF?

Its like reginal DVDs, I HATE them rules! They say its ""unauthorized" to buy a DVD from the wrong region, yet you can order them from abroad at Amazon, and buy (if hard to find) Mulitreginal DVD players! Why bother with the region codes and laws then?
I understand, people may buy them from the cheapest country, But surly thats just the same as buying from the cheaper shop in a interconnected World?
I am a Fan of Japoanese Kajiu movies (i.e. Godzilla and Gamera) and here in the Uk we have like 2 on DVD! there4 I HAVE to buy them from the USA inorder to own them, Its not MY fault I have to buy them from region 1. They don't sell them in Region 2!

I think, the entertainment bussiness needs to rethink its laws, and understand how the internet and world work!
We don't ALL live in the USA, there4 us "on the outside" will have to buy from abroad, or download. Why should I have to wait a year to watch the latest Atlantis eps? and why should someone from Australia have to wait like 4 or so years?
its silly and needs to change!

Serebii
January 7th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Well I have it pre-ordered anyway. My SG1 collection is almost complete...just needs AoT, Continuum and Movie 3 and it'll be done :p

Freekzilla
January 7th, 2008, 01:59 PM
That is STUPID! By that law, anyone who has an MP3 or Ipod and has msuic on it, would be considered "breaking the LAW"!
I hate all these stupid laws, If they say loading music from a CD you brought!, then copying that to an MP3 or game Console like the Xbox 360 is illegal. Why sell MP3 PLAYERS? It would not be illegal to own one, but putting copied muisic from an album is? WTF?

Its like reginal DVDs, I HATE them rules! They say its ""unauthorized" to buy a DVD from the wrong region, yet you can order them from abroad at Amazon, and buy (if hard to find) Mulitreginal DVD players! Why bother with the region codes and laws then?
I understand, people may buy them from the cheapest country, But surly thats just the same as buying from the cheaper shop in a interconnected World?
I am a Fan of Japoanese Kajiu movies (i.e. Godzilla and Gamera) and here in the Uk we have like 2 on DVD! there4 I HAVE to buy them from the USA inorder to own them, Its not MY fault I have to buy them from region 1. They don't sell them in Region 2!

I think, the entertainment bussiness needs to rethink its laws, and understand how the internet and world work!
We don't ALL live in the USA, there4 us "on the outside" will have to buy from abroad, or download. Why should I have to wait a year to watch the latest Atlantis eps? and why should someone from Australia have to wait like 4 or so years?
its silly and needs to change!

There's a lot of stupid laws out there still. Here's a dumb law from:

Switzerland: It is illegal to flush the toilet after 10 P.
Sweden: While prostitution is legal, it is illegal to use the services of a prostitute.
UK: London Hackney Carriages (taxis/cabs) must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.
UK: It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.
Germany: Every office must have a view of the sky, however small.
USA: It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.
USA: It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
Canada: It’s illegal to climb trees.
Canada: You may not pay for a fifty-cent item with only pennies.
Canada: When raining, a person may not water his/her lawn.

A lot of these laws have since been repealed or modified, but still....They were on the books at one point. We all have dumb laws. Need I say more?

Madeleine
January 8th, 2008, 06:25 AM
:: points to sig ::

Dr Lee
January 8th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Releasing a budgie into the wild in the UK comes with a 2 year jail term

robitaille88
January 8th, 2008, 07:18 AM

And like I've posted several times at Gateworld, check out http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/ippd-dppi.nsf/en/h_ip01456e.html for a Canadian study done on p2p effects on sales.

Which is one of the things i am on about. if you never intend to buy it anyway why download it?

Depends on the movie. Sometimes a friend mentions a good movie they saw to me. I'm obviously not just gonna go out or buy it, or even rent it, if I have no idea what it's about. I download it, watch it. Sometimes I like them, othertimes I don't. Many times, I have discover neat new show to watch this way, ones that may no be available on TV stations in my area...

And as I said earlier, with the movies/tv shows that I planned on getting anyways, torrent files don't deter me at all and in some cases get me more excited about the movie/tv show

Serebii
January 8th, 2008, 08:17 AM
There's a lot of stupid laws out there still. Here's a dumb law from:

Switzerland: It is illegal to flush the toilet after 10 P.
Sweden: While prostitution is legal, it is illegal to use the services of a prostitute.
UK: London Hackney Carriages (taxis/cabs) must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.
UK: It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance.
Germany: Every office must have a view of the sky, however small.
USA: It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.
USA: It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
Canada: It’s illegal to climb trees.
Canada: You may not pay for a fifty-cent item with only pennies.
Canada: When raining, a person may not water his/her lawn.

A lot of these laws have since been repealed or modified, but still....They were on the books at one point. We all have dumb laws. Need I say more?
It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament

Freekzilla
January 15th, 2008, 03:50 AM
It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament

Are you serious? ROTFLMAO! I can see it now.......

Cabinet Member: "OMG! He's having a heart attack!"
Parliment Member: "Quick, throw him in the street to die."
Cabinet Member: "Yeah, we wouldn't want to break the law."

Madeleine
January 15th, 2008, 04:27 AM
I think it's more along the lines of if you're present in the HoP, you're legally alive. Therefore if someone has a heart-attack in the Commons at noon, their time and place of death would become 12:05 as they're transferred to the ambulance.

Freekzilla
January 15th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I think it's more along the lines of if you're present in the HoP, you're legally alive. Therefore if someone has a heart-attack in the Commons at noon, their time and place of death would become 12:05 as they're transferred to the ambulance.

Well, what if he dies long before the ambulance even arrives? He could just drop dead suddenly while in the HoP, and be really completely dead, and by the time the ambulance arrives, it's 15 minutes later. He didn't die in transit, or in the ambulance, but in the HoP. So, in a way, he is still present in the HoP, but not really. Or is it just a legal thing stating that noone can be deemed to have died in the HoP, rather the legal definition has to be "confirmed" by a doctor or something? It just seems to be a bit unecessary to have a law regulating the time and place of death in a special way for one specific place; a waste of time even worring about it. Where you die is where you die. Having a law prohibiting where one can be confirmed to have died, sounds a bit like the law is meant to shield people in power from having to answer questions. IMHO. Kinda like how my government, the US govt, can vote to give itself a raise. Meaning, they can pass laws that serve THEIR interests when ever they feel like it.

And before you ask, yes, I don't like governments and polititians. Mostly my own, as they seem to be nothing more than a bunch of corrupt idiots.

Madeleine
January 16th, 2008, 10:44 AM
It's one of these laws that was passed in the middle ages and that no one cares about enough to repeal. I think it's part of the same law that forbids the wearing of swords on the Commons floor. Maybe they're worried that if they allow people to start dying in the Commons, next thing you know we'll have the Honourable Member for East Kinross, claymore in hand, setting about the cutlass-weilding Honourable Member for Wansdyke, and before you know it Today in Parliament would become interesting, which is against the cardinal rule of broadcasting.

jonno
January 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
It's one of these laws that was passed in the middle ages and that no one cares about enough to repeal. I think it's part of the same law that forbids the wearing of swords on the Commons floor. Maybe they're worried that if they allow people to start dying in the Commons, next thing you know we'll have the Honourable Member for East Kinross, claymore in hand, setting about the cutlass-weilding Honourable Member for Wansdyke, and before you know it Today in Parliament would become interesting, which is against the cardinal rule of broadcasting.

It would certainly add something to PMQ's ...

garhkal
January 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I would love to see that parliment question time.. Dibs on the one with the claymore.

sgaaddict
January 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I am so glad!

Amazon.fr and Fnac says that "Ark Of Truth" will be released April, 23rd 2008 in France!!!!:daniel::tealc::sam::vala::cameron:

Anubis21
January 30th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Most of the people who read this want to see a third Stargate SG-1 movie and we all know that the fans have to buy the movies on dvd in order to see that come true we HAVE TO buy the movie when it is released. When it is released it sounds that some dont know of you plan to rent it, dont want to buy it, and/or dont even know what it is. We have to buy it in order to continue the adventures.

Fenrir Foxz
January 30th, 2008, 07:39 PM
:indeed: :D

RealmOfX
January 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
There's already a thread for this http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=49716

the fifth man
January 30th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'll be doing my part by buying AOT. And so is my Dad. And several of my friends are too.

rlr149
January 30th, 2008, 08:39 PM
already seen it but am gonna buy it anyway, anyone who has a problem with that can tell some one who cares;) i won't buy a car without driving it, this attitude extends to all my non food purchases, works very well for me:cool:

Tupopoflungo
January 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Seen The movie online

Just preordered it about 30 seconds ago off amazon.

Dont like it?

here is a quarter

call someone who cares

Arga
February 2nd, 2008, 03:29 AM
I wonder if they'll do like with other movies, a simple DVD version with no extras, and a 2-disks collector's edition, with plenty of bonus..

And after Continuum is out, will they do a special pack with both Ark of Truth and Continuum.. which will be a better value to buy..
Except that if everybody waits to have this double feature box set, they might think the lack of sales of AoT indicates Continuum would do bad as well..

Will Continuum be out whatever happens, or its fate can change depending on the sales of AoT?

Ladyinred
February 2nd, 2008, 06:24 AM
I wonder if they'll do like with other movies, a simple DVD version with no extras, and a 2-disks collector's edition, with plenty of bonus..

No need for special "collector's edition", as the basic one is packed with extras:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Stargate-SG-1-Ark-of-Truth-Extras/8676

Ishshah
February 3rd, 2008, 01:12 AM
Hey all... I’ve got a question I am hoping you’ll be willing to help me with; you see I have been a fan of SG1 from the very beginning and I bought all the seasons on DVD as they became available and now I see in the 10 season box set there are four additional discs full of bonus materials. Can you tell me how I can buy only those 4 additional discs? I’d be ever so grateful…. Blessings abound… or so I have found!

Thank you

Patricia Lee

Falcon Horus
February 3rd, 2008, 05:23 AM
Only if you buy the full set, or find someone who has the set and ask them for a rip. Otherwise, no such luck of getting those extra's without the boxset.

JackHarkness_Hot
February 3rd, 2008, 06:00 AM
Definitely kids, always buy the DVD!

Even if you have seen it, buy it to fund our show!

Platschu
March 2nd, 2008, 01:34 AM
I have to repeat, buy the DVD films! :)

SP90
March 3rd, 2008, 11:59 AM
I have to repeat, buy the DVD films! :)

When its released on Blu-Ray. :)

B-Flat
March 12th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I pre-ordered mine on Amazon and actually got it on March 10th...1 full day early! I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was a great closure to the Ori story line.

I think with all the hype that I was expecting much more from the special effects and such...I did not feel that the quality was that much greater than the TV show. They also wasted a lot of minutes in the movie doing scenery shots with music playing along...I don't feel that those scenes made the movie more epic. Or maybe I am just used to watching Atlantis in HD now on SCIFI-HD...which looks amazing!

I think one other mistake was that new fans watching won't understand how powerful the Ori really were. It was almost too easy for Stargate Command to finish the job and destroy the Ori. They maybe should have revisited the strength that the Ori had behind them.

Also, even with the Odyssey's shields powered by a ZPM, there is no way that 4 Ori Ships wouldn't have destroyed it with continuous blasts. They were sitting ducks!

Even with those somewhat minor mistakes, the story was great and makes me sad to have to say goodbye to SG-1 yet again. I feel that the show came to its end right when the new cast really started to click together.

I hope every fan "Buys" and enjoys the movie....this is the only way to get them to make more for us!

tanneth
March 12th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Well here is my gist on the movie. I just watched it tonight.

First off I liked it but didn't think it beyond great or all the hype I have heard and was expecting. I don't see where they spent 8 million on the movie when a regular 1 hr tv ep cost 2 million per to film.

Bringing the replicators in to the storyline was weak and I feel only a filler and took away from the main objective the ORI,

I thought special effects were cool but not a whole lot of them, other than Adria on fire. Yes that effect was quite cool along with seeing their ship aproaching and pasting thru the super gate.

I do feel that they rushed the film and squeezed way to much condensed storyline into a 2 hr movie that could have really been a 2 part.

They wrapped it all up way to quick in my opinion :[

Overall I liked it but as with some of season 10's eps thought it left things lacking with weak writing in spots.

I really was annoyed with how the ancients were portrayed living in the mountain. I don't know if I missed something or were they unclear on the ancients, did they destroy everyone living in that mountain village when they exploded from the top of the mountain and took off? I feel that this was a VERY important part to establish more of the ancients and the ORI, how they gained so much more power than them...Lot left out.

I hope they do better in the next installment otherwise they should quit making dvds.

Believe me I love SG1 but felt a little let down on this DVD.

Coremae
March 13th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Well here is my gist on the movie. I just watched it tonight.

First off I liked it but didn't think it beyond great or all the hype I have heard and was expecting. I don't see where they spent 8 million on the movie when a regular 1 hr tv ep cost 2 million per to film.

Bringing the replicators in to the storyline was weak and I feel only a filler and took away from the main objective the ORI,

I thought special effects were cool but not a whole lot of them, other than Adria on fire. Yes that effect was quite cool along with seeing their ship aproaching and pasting thru the super gate.

I do feel that they rushed the film and squeezed way to much condensed storyline into a 2 hr movie that could have really been a 2 part.

They wrapped it all up way to quick in my opinion :[

Overall I liked it but as with some of season 10's eps thought it left things lacking with weak writing in spots.

I really was annoyed with how the ancients were portrayed living in the mountain. I don't know if I missed something or were they unclear on the ancients, did they destroy everyone living in that mountain village when they exploded from the top of the mountain and took off? I feel that this was a VERY important part to establish more of the ancients and the ORI, how they gained so much more power than them...Lot left out.

I hope they do better in the next installment otherwise they should quit making dvds.

Believe me I love SG1 but felt a little let down on this DVD.

I'm a self purported stupid jack @$$ for sg1/a but I must confess I totally agree with the above statement.

DAAAAAMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNN!

(what the phunk)wtp wtp wtp wtp wtp wtp wtp:-(

BigRedMachine
March 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM
the leaked version was pretty good even with out the special effects and i intend on buying the dvd.

PS. when does the srk of truth come out on dvd in australia

jelgate
March 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM
the leaked version was pretty good even with out the special effects and i intend on buying the dvd.

PS. when does the srk of truth come out on dvd in australia

I believe Australia is Region 4. If I am right, April 9.

dizzyg
March 17th, 2008, 01:52 AM
OHMY, my collection is huge, all the DVD's from SG1, seasons 1 to 10, all the Atlantis, waiting for season 4 to be released in South Africa, and still waiting for AOT to be released in UK so we can get it here, USA version doesnt work on our TV's which sux. so ya, even though i DO download the episode when it comes out cause we dont get it on TV here i do always buy the DVD's when they're released here, much to my girlfriends distaste!

haha

cocytus
March 17th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Save your money.
This movie was terrible.
Just terrible.
Unless you are a FANatic of the series, you'll be as sorely disappointed as X-Files fans were with "Fight the Future."
I was very disappointed at ending the Ori story arc in such a lackluster manner.
The next movie can't almost help but be better.

ikke22
March 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM
first of all i am a fan watched every episode of sg-1 and atlantis. I have seen the movie AOT this weekend. And it sucks!
The intersiting part diffrence between ori and ancients has totaly been ignord.
Predictable from begin to end.
And how of the wrighters has an repilcator trauma. Their dead!!!! don't bring them back all the time. I liked that storry line but you guys killed them of get over it. (have to admit i did like the replicator human in the movie)

and then you have that scene where Jhon flys true the air becaus of an explosion. That was so badly done i almost turned of my pc.

off course its a movie you have to see as SG-1 fan to now the end or the story pitty they could'nt make a better one. And the first SG-1 scene was great SG-1 humor. I lliked the ori story the first thre episodes after that i went down hill.

Hope an beleive the second movie will be beter and glaad that atlantis is getting better and better.

tempus
March 18th, 2008, 02:22 AM
no point buying oboslete media!

Ladyinred
March 18th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Save your money.
This movie was terrible.
Just terrible.

Why I don't believe you? :p

Teddybrown
March 25th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Im definately buyin it
I saw it yesterday and its wicked and i seriously wanna see it agen

LoneStar1836
March 25th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Eh, I just rented it and only watched it once. There was no way I was going to pay $20 bucks to see that. Though it did turn out to be better than I thought it would be.

Gatorade
March 26th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Sales figures for
The Ark of Truth is: 191,086 dvds for the total of $3,236,997 as of March 16th.

link (http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/0SGAT_dvd.php)

Gabi_One
March 27th, 2008, 08:44 AM
When Region 2 will be out... i`ll definitely buy it!!! :jonas:

Falcon Horus
March 27th, 2008, 11:41 AM
When Region 2 will be out... i`ll definitely buy it!!! :jonas:

April somewhere... I think around the 24th... but I'm not sure.

Ladyinred
March 27th, 2008, 11:47 AM
April somewhere... I think around the 24th... but I'm not sure.

April 28th for UK, but Region 2 is also France, Germany, The Netherlands... ;)

Falcon Horus
March 27th, 2008, 02:59 PM
April 28th for UK, but Region 2 is also France, Germany, The Netherlands... ;)

I am region 2, and I know Fox wants to make the release big since they apparently want to borrow our Stargate (two days before our own big event) for their release party or whatever.

jelgate
March 27th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I am region 2, and I know Fox wants to make the release big since they apparently want to borrow our Stargate (two days before our own big event) for their release party or whatever.

Ask for a lot of money and do a lot of haggling.

Falcon Horus
March 27th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Ask for a lot of money and do a lot of haggling.

Well, my friends at BCD can thank me on their bare knees for hooking them with Fox in the first place...

Maybe we can ask for a few DVD's in return... :)

ha'tak_
March 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM
becouse i live in iceland i need to get all of the episode the piriate way(becouse stargate arent shown her and in stors season 9 of sg-1 is new) BUT i allways buy the seasons when the come out(in usa) and i am waiting for the aot

artbrann
March 31st, 2008, 05:50 PM
I will netflix them for now, and buy them when my youngest passes the age of 'must destroy everything daddy owns'(she's 19mths so I figure i'll get a huge deal on buying them as a set in 16yrs or so ;) )

the bad part is I have to listen to my wife whine when I move my shows above her's on the netflix que

ha'tak_
April 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM
JEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I GOT MY ARK OF TRUTH

JEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i did buy it