PDA

View Full Version : Who's returning for Season 5?

Daniel Jackson
December 13th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Who's returning for Season 5? I hope they keep Sheppard, Teyla, and Ronan. Carter's cool, but I wouldn't be upset if she left since Tapping's now done 11 years of SG. McKay is OK, but he talks way too much. I wouldn't mind him being replaced with a more realistic scientist character.

Keep in mind I'm talking about the main cast, not recurring guest stars.

The_Carpenter
December 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM
As I understand all the regulars who were in it this year are back next year. Amanda said she'd do a fifth Season if there was one :)

Jumper_One
December 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM
As I understand all the regulars who were in it this year are back next year. Amanda said she'd do a fifth Season if there was one :)

yup probably everybody's gonna be back :)

Daniel Jackson
December 13th, 2007, 11:50 AM
That's great news. Thanks! :sheppard: :mckay: :teyla: :ronan: :sam:

Jumper_One
December 13th, 2007, 11:52 AM
That's great news. Thanks! :sheppard: :mckay: :teyla: :ronan: :sam:

you're welcome :)

I'm also hoping Lorne, Zelenka and Chuck return ;)

Platschu
December 13th, 2007, 12:36 PM
We need Weir, Ford, Beckett, Caldwell, Michael, Kolya, Todd, Halling, Tyre, Fifth, Chaya, Daniel and Vala. :)

Briangate78
December 13th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Carson Frelling Beckett will be returning! Oh YEAH!!! :p

Um I hope! :)

Platschu
December 13th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Is it official? Where did you get the info? In how many episodes will he return?

Briangate78
December 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Is it official? Where did you get the info? How many episodes will he return?

I edited my post so it would not confuse people. There was a statement made by Joe M that he would be announcing a character return for Season 5. A lot of folks think its Beckett because when Joe was asked if it was Carson, he replied with Maaaaaybe. So only time will tell. :)

Jumper_One
December 13th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Is it official? Where did you get the info? How many episodes will he return?

it's not official, Brian's hoping ;)

EDIT: damn, beat me to it

Briangate78
December 13th, 2007, 12:45 PM
it's not official, Brians hoping ;)

EDIt: damn beat me to it

Yup just like I was hoping for a 5th season. Well that turned out ok didn't it? :D :P

Muhahahaha! Too fast! :p

Platschu
December 13th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I think 6-8 episode can be enough for him as special guest star. :)

Atlantis1
December 13th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Don't want fith, Daniel or Vala. There is no reason for them and I don't want to lose SGA characters to ones from SG-1. Carter is enough. I want all the regulars back and I hope we still get Zelenka.

jenks
December 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM
It looks as though Carter, Shep, McKay, Teyla and Ronon will be back, along with Daniel & Teal'c making an appearance and probably Keller... I have a sneaky suspicion that Beckett will be brought back in some capacity as well...

Jumper_One
December 13th, 2007, 03:18 PM
It looks as though Carter, Shep, McKay, Teyla and Ronon will be back, along with Daniel & Teal'c making an appearance and probably Keller... I have a sneaky suspicion that Beckett will be brought back in some capacity as well...

um Teal'c in s5? did someone confirm this (probably not eh)?

kirmit
December 13th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't mind if Teyla didn't return.

prion
December 13th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I want the core team back
Sheppard
Teyla
McKay
Ronon

and Lorne and Zelenka. :)

If Carter and Keller vanished, and if Beckett and Weir returned, wouldn't bother me ;)

Falcon Horus
December 13th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Sheppard
Teyla
McKay
Ronon

If Carter and Keller vanished, and if Beckett and Weir returned, wouldn't bother me ;)

Second that.

And Kate back too, but that's probably not gonna happen. :(

jenks
December 13th, 2007, 03:34 PM
um Teal'c in s5? did someone confirm this (probably not eh)?

Naa it's not confirmed, I'd have to find the quote but I believe either he was interested in making an appearance or the TPTB were interested in having him back... or both.

*edit*

Here it is:

Mallozzi also talked enthusiastically about having Christopher Judge return to the Stargate sets as Teal’c in both “Reunion” and “Midway”. He said, “Chris is great in it, and it’s just great to be working with him. The crew love having him as well, he’s such a jolly, warm and demonstrative individual. The exact opposite of Teal’c, ironically! So it was really nice to have Chris back.” Mallozzi hopes to see Judge return as Teal’c in Season Five. “If Teal’c could come and do another script or two, that would be great as well.”

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=1042

Jumper_One
December 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Naa it's not confirmed, I'd have to find the quote but I believe either he was interested in making an appearance or the TPTB were interested in having him back... or both.

*edit*

Here it is:

Mallozzi also talked enthusiastically about having Christopher Judge return to the Stargate sets as Teal’c in both “Reunion” and “Midway”. He said, “Chris is great in it, and it’s just great to be working with him. The crew love having him as well, he’s such a jolly, warm and demonstrative individual. The exact opposite of Teal’c, ironically! So it was really nice to have Chris back.” Mallozzi hopes to see Judge return as Teal’c in Season Five. “If Teal’c could come and do another script or two, that would be great as well.”

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=1042

ah ok thanx :)

vaberella
December 13th, 2007, 03:53 PM
In regards to Carson, I never expected him fully out of the picture since I had heard months before his demise that he was actually going to be in S4 and probably S5, that's why I never got all the hoopla. Of course watching him die did change that perspective, but I guess that rumor happened to be true anyway.

I hope the core team is there, Carter of course, and our regular recurring peeps.

People I would love to see back are Kolya (who's rumored to be in S5) and maybe a revisiting of The Brotherhood people, I really loved Allina and it would be great to see if they can shed some light on Teyla's people since they had prophecy books and such. Not to mention maybe resolve any issues between Allina and McKay. :D

Jeff O'Connor
December 13th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Kolyakolyakolyakolyakolykakolyakolyakolya.

Fordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordfordford.

I don't know how else to express myself.

Agent_Dark
December 13th, 2007, 09:41 PM
i'll be back for sure

Mitchell82
December 13th, 2007, 10:01 PM
As far as I know the core cast will return, Carter,Shep,Mckay,Ronon,and Teyla. I hope that Keller will come back as she has turned into a great character. Carson would be great as well and I'm sure they could work him in somehow. Weir well meh.... Personally it wouldn't matter to me one way or another as long as she isn't made commander. Daniel or Teal'c well a guest appearance or two is fine by me.Ford that well story is most likely said and done.

Dusk
December 13th, 2007, 10:07 PM
We need Weir, Ford, Beckett, Caldwell, Michael, Kolya, Todd, Halling, Tyre, Fifth, Chaya, Daniel and Vala. :)

Weir, Caldwell, and Daniel I'm not averse to. The rest are negligable.

Kolyakolyakolyakolyakolykakolyakolyakolya.

You are aware that Kolya is now DEAD!

Lythisrose
December 13th, 2007, 10:19 PM

But no one ever has to stay dead in sci-fi! ::daniel:

Mitchell82
December 13th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Weir, Caldwell, and Daniel I'm not averse to. The rest are negligable.

But they still plan to bring him back somehow.

vaberella
December 13th, 2007, 11:11 PM
i'll be back for sure

Pure and utter class. You've just managed to strike fear in the hearts of many. :) I'd green you 100 times if I could.

Jeff O'Connor
December 13th, 2007, 11:31 PM

I don't care! :cool:

Besides, I thought I heard talk of bringing him back 'anyway', somehow. ;)

doylefan22
December 14th, 2007, 04:25 AM
The only person I'm not too bothered about coming back is Keller. I neither particularly like or dislike her. She's like a bit of Atlantis scenery for me; she's just....there....

Hope Weir makes a return in some way or another and they don't do another 'Ford' on us.

Skydiver
December 14th, 2007, 04:31 AM
i don't see anyone not returning. The only person i could see having a personal issue is rachel with her baby. but the stargate/atlantis set is very well known for being accomodating to family (during the 'bachelor' days of stargate, everyone brought their pets to work, and i know that amanda brought olivia most days - unless she was taping something too intense for her baby to see, like i think it was lits when she was covered in blood and she didn't want to upset the baby.)

the set is very accomodating to family so i'm sure whatever accomodations rachel needs, they wont' be much of an issue

Skydiver
December 14th, 2007, 04:33 AM
after this mortal coil and the revelation there, i'd say anyone could come back. Especially aliens.

all theyneed to do is make a mention that they ran across the reps and teh reps made human copies.

Even though they have this easy plot device, i really hope that they dont' use it. Let the dead stay dead. It takes all the drama out of things to have peopel constantly resurrecting

Linzi
December 14th, 2007, 07:59 AM
after this mortal coil and the revelation there, i'd say anyone could come back. Especially aliens.

all theyneed to do is make a mention that they ran across the reps and teh reps made human copies.

Even though they have this easy plot device, i really hope that they dont' use it. Let the dead stay dead. It takes all the drama out of things to have peopel constantly resurrecting
I totally agree.

It's all well and good killing off characters for impact, but to keep bringing them back just cheapens the whole process. I firmly believe that when characters die, they should stay dead. If the Execs choose to kill someone off, and quite honestly I have no idea why this is done sometimes, then they should have the courage of their convictions and stick to the decision they made. This 'nobody dies in scifi' line drives me nuts. Of course they die! If it's AU or cloning or repli person, the original is still dead. :lol:

I know that Sheppard is back, McKay, Ronon, Teyla and I believe Carter will be too. I am pretty sure so will Keller be, and no doubt, Beckett in some form or other. No idea about Weir. Minor characters such as Radek, Lorne, Chuck etc will be back as well, I'm sure.

Skydiver
December 14th, 2007, 09:23 AM
as much as i liked to see janet, i don't want her back on teh show, largely because i know she'd never get teh storyline she'd deserve (presuming there was and SG1 for her to come back to)

daniel's dying and resurrecting is a joke now, dude seems to die/be thought dead every season.

I know it sucks to lose characters you love, but if 'it's scifi and no one really stays dead' well why kill them in the first place then?

Xeon_1
December 14th, 2007, 11:53 AM
i wouldn't mind vala in an episode or two.
she alway's brought a bit of humor to the show and offset to the overal military feel

Jumper_One
December 14th, 2007, 11:55 AM
she alway's brought a bit of humor to the show and offset to the overal military feel

what reason would Vala have to visit Atlantis (other than following Daniel)?

Linzi
December 14th, 2007, 12:03 PM
as much as i liked to see janet, i don't want her back on teh show, largely because i know she'd never get teh storyline she'd deserve (presuming there was and SG1 for her to come back to)

daniel's dying and resurrecting is a joke now, dude seems to die/be thought dead every season.

I know it sucks to lose characters you love, but if 'it's scifi and no one really stays dead' well why kill them in the first place then?
Again, I agree. It's as if someone thinks it would be a good idea to kill a character, they do it, and then, oh no! Some people don't like it... so, let's hedge our bets and being them back for a couple of AU's. Then the fans of the dead character don't feel so annoyed! Only, perhaps they do, because it's not exactly the character they loved. I have to say, I didn't enjoy Janet coming back. Heroes I and II are two of my favourite episodes, and I don't know, but bringing AU Janet back, or different timeline Janet, just didn't sit well with me, as much as I liked her.

I guess it just comes down to me not being able to feel invested in anyone other than the real characters. And, if they're 'dead', then I've had a good cry and have moved on. To see them again, even though it's not 'them' per se, makes me feel that my tears didn't mean anything really. This could be just me, I suppose. :o

As for Daniel's multiple deaths and resurrections...yawn! Gets old pretty quickly for me!

Anyway, I still think the team of four, Carter, Keller, Lorne and Radek will be back, and the others perhaps for some guest spots?

Dusk
December 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Yes, death in sci-fi is flexible. But make it TOO flexible and the whole thing becomes a joke. For instance, the replicator clone plot device is akin to the use of Claire's blood as an answer to death in 'Heroes', which hasn't gone down too well with fans.

As an aside, I don't even like the Replicator plot arc. I thought we'd seen the last of them in SG-1. Oh how I wish that were true. But perhaps things are looking up, what with the next few eps dealing with the eradication of the Replicators from the Pegasus galaxy

A boy can only hope.

smushybird
December 14th, 2007, 07:01 PM

I'd like to see Vala come back for a few eps, too. She was sweet and fun.
I also miss Carson. And I'm sorry Kolya's gone because he was the best SGA villain till they (very badly) killed him off.
As long as the core team is back, and Zelenka, I'll be watching. I like team eps the best.

Lythisrose
December 14th, 2007, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=smushybird;7438060. And I'm sorry Kolya's gone because he was the best SGA villain till they (very badly) killed him off.
[/QUOTE]

Well, I wish they'd bring him back so they could kill him better! :(

marielabbott
December 14th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Sheppard
Teyla
McKay
Ronon

Ditto that.

Why indeed? Better to just keep them alive. ;)

Jumper_One
December 15th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Why indeed? Better to just keep them alive. ;)

because the overall quality of a show may improve after certain characters are gone

Cautious Explorer
December 15th, 2007, 05:48 AM
because the overall quality of a show may improve after certain characters are gone

Only if those characters are replaced with more interesting characters. That didn't happen. I think they should cut their losses, dump the uninteresting new characters, Carter & Keller, and bring back Beckett and Weir. Atlantis needs its old dynamic back.

Integrabyte
December 15th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Only if those characters are replaced with more interesting characters. That didn't happen. I think they should cut their losses, dump the uninteresting new characters, Carter & Keller, and bring back Beckett and Weir. Atlantis needs its old dynamic back.

One problem tho. How can they bring the old dynamic back? Weir's era is gone. She was thrown out and she is smart enough to not come back. The only way for them is to erase everything they did after Sunday and that is not going to happen..

jelgate
December 15th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Only if those characters are replaced with more interesting characters. That didn't happen. I think they should cut their losses, dump the uninteresting?* new characters, Carter & Keller, and bring back Beckett and Weir. Atlantis needs its old dynamic back.Thats not going to happen nor do I want it to happen.Beckett might return but the chances for Weir return to a reccuring role are slim to none. Interesting is relative. Some people like the change, some don't. In the long run TPTB need to please the majority. That must have happened considering they were renewed for a 5th season in the first place.

Jumper_One
December 15th, 2007, 06:04 AM

ok that's your opinion. apparently a lot of fans disagree because the ratings are fine and the show's been renewed ;)

EDIT: ah jelgate beat me to it :)

Falcon Horus
December 15th, 2007, 06:21 AM
The only way for them is to erase everything they did after Sunday and that is not going to happen..

Motion passed!! :D *looks around* Anyone? :o *sulk*

Chrysalis
December 15th, 2007, 06:25 AM
One problem tho. How can they bring the old dynamic back? Weir's era is gone. She was thrown out and she is smart enough to not come back. The only way for them is to erase everything they did after Sunday and that is not going to happen..

I take it you're talking about Torri, not Weir, in the bolded part.

I still want the character back, but I could understand if Torri didn't want to. I'd be disappointed from the point of view of being a viewer of the show, because her character was my favourite, but as a fan of Torri, I'd completely understand. Some management types need to learn people skills. Desperately.

Integrabyte
December 15th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Motion passed!! :D *looks around* Anyone? :o *sulk*

Two people is better than none :P. I support you dear :D

Some management types need to learn people skills. Desperately.

Money talks in this world and not people skills. Some people will sell their soul for money, guess TPTB did that and it backfired because they will not have a S6.

Jumper_One
December 15th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Money talks in this world and not people skills. Some people will sell their soul for money, guess TPTB did that and it backfired because they will not have a S6.

dude if the ratings don't change in the back half there will most certainly be a s6! ;)

Falcon Horus
December 15th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Two people is better than none :P. I support you dear :D

Yay! :D

dude if the ratings don't change in the back half there will most certainly be a s6! ;)

Shouldn't we first see what season 5 brings before we start dreaming of a 6th season. A lot can change before that moment.

SGFerrit
December 15th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Yeah, alot of people were saying they wouldn't have a season 5 when season 4 began... Guess that backfired!

I'd suggest you don't state as fact something that won't be decided for another 12 months. If it does get a season 6, and someone just so happens to remember what you said, they could bring it up and you could end up looking quite stupid.

For the record, I don't know which way it will go. Some people just seem to think it will definately be cancelled or it will definately continue based on their own deluded views. Fact is, it could go either way. The people who think it will certainly go one way or the other are kidding themselves.

I would be happy for it to end on 100 episodes and continue on as movies like SG-1, but I would love it to go further, season 6 and more. With the ratings holding steady, I'd say it is very hard to make any predictions at this point.

jelgate
December 15th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Shouldn't we first see what season 5 brings before we start dreaming of a 6th season. A lot can change before that moment.I think we should wait. Regardless of?* my personal feelings about the current season, a lot can happen between now and when SciFi chooses weither to renew Atlantis for S6

Jumper_One
December 15th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Shouldn't we first see what season 5 brings before we start dreaming of a 6th season. A lot can change before that moment.

hey I just replied to another post ;)

Integrabyte
December 15th, 2007, 08:16 AM
hey I just replied to another post ;)

It happens to the best of us :). So where was I? Ahh...yes, I want Vala to return for S5 :D

*activates the ancient phase shifting device to avoid the Wrath :D*

Mitchell82
December 15th, 2007, 10:00 AM

I loved Beckett but I disagree that the new character's are not better. Keller and Carter are excellent.

Chrysalis
December 15th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I loved Beckett but I disagree that the new character's are not better. Keller and Carter are excellent.

Carter's not even remotely a new character having been on SG1 for ten years, so describing her as one really is a misnomer.

I do not understand for the life of me why they would think bringing her in because "OMG! She's so cool! She's a scientist and a military person! We need that!" is a reasonable line of thought. They want military? They have Sheppard and Lorne. They want scientists? They have McKay and Zelenka. All she does is triple up on what they have. She offers nothing that those characters couldn't have handled. What is missing is a Daniel Jackson type of character in this cast, and that's a role that Elizabeth Weir could have filled, had TPTB been a little smarter.

As for Keller -- don't get me started on how irritating that character is. I loved Jewel as Kaylee on Firefly, but casting her as a CMO is a joke. And a bad one at that.

If they were smart, they never would have got rid of Beckett and Weir in the first place. The fact they're bending over backwards to make his fans happy shows they know they were dumb in that case. The fact they continue to snark at Weir fans shows that they think some viewers are expendable, which is something no decent producer in their right might would think.

Jumper_One
December 15th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Carter's not even remotely a new character having been on SG1 for ten years, so describing her as one really is a misnomer.

um people who've never watched SG-1 don't know Carter ;)

I do not understand for the life of me why they would think bringing her in because "OMG! She's so cool! She's a scientist and a military person! We need that!" is a reasonable line of thought. They want military? They have Sheppard and Lorne. They want scientists? They have McKay and Zelenka. All she does is triple up on what they have. She offers nothing that those characters couldn't have handled.

TBTB didn't bring in Carter to be the lead scientist, that's Rodney's and Zelenka's job. and while Shep has shown on the past that he can handle military issues in the past, he's on ly a Lt Col. Carter was the logical choice because she has a lot of experience in all things that concern the SG, she's a military officer and she understands the science stuff Rodney's talking about (none of those apply Weir btw). her job is to oversee everything not take over Rodney's or Shep's jobs. btw the fact that you're a die hard Weir fan doesn't add to your objectivity ;) (no offense)

What is missing is a Daniel Jackson type of character in this cast, and that's a role that Elizabeth Weir could have filled, had TPTB been a little smarter.

how is Weir like Daniel? she's a diplomat, he's an archeologist. you mean because she's the voice of reason, just like Daniel? I think Teyla does this too

As for Keller -- don't get me started on how irritating that character is. I loved Jewel as Kaylee on Firefly, but casting her as a CMO is a joke. And a bad one at that.

yeah I liked her as Kaylee too. as for Keller I'm not sure myself, gotta give her a little more time to see what she's capable of (or isn't)

If they were smart, they never would have got rid of Beckett and Weir in the first place. The fact they're bending over backwards to make his fans happy shows they know they were dumb in that case. The fact they continue to snark at Weir fans shows that they think some viewers are expendable, which is something no decent producer in their right might would think.

that's your opinion. I'd also like to see Weir again but the facts are the ratings are fine and the show's been renewed

jelgate
December 15th, 2007, 11:03 AM
that's your opinion. I'd also like to see Weir again but the facts are the ratings are fine and the show's been renewedYou said the R word. Can we please not talk about ratings.

Jumper_One
December 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM
You said the R word. Can we please not talk about ratings.

it wasn't my intention to talk about them, I was merely saying that Atlantis is doing fine. everything else is for another thread

Chrysalis
December 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM
the facts are the ratings are fine and the show's been renewed

Yeah, I bet they're crowing from the rooftops about how proud they are of those two 0.9 ratings.

As for my 'credibility' -- my being a Weir fan has nothing to do with the fact that I don't like Carter or Keller. I lost all interest in Carter in about season 6 or 7 of SG1, to the point where I couldn't watch the show anymore because of her. Keller, I just find ridiculous.

Try telling the Carter fans their opinions aren't valid on the Carter/Weir debate because they're Carter fans. I bet you wouldn't even dare to do that.

Weir fans get enough crap around here without you also telling us our opinions don't count or aren't valid, and yeah, it is offensive, because our opinions are as valid as anyone else's.

Jumper_One
December 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I bet they're crowing from the rooftops about how proud they are of those two 0.9 ratings.

like I said let's not discuss the ratings, this isn't the right thread

As for my 'credibility' -- my being a Weir fan has nothing to do with the fact that I don't like Carter or Keller. I lost all interest in Carter in about season 6 or 7 of SG1, to the point where I couldn't watch the show anymore because of her.

I wasn't talking about credibility, that is and should not be the issue, I said 'objectivity'. and frankly there's nothing wrong with that. you're a die hard Weir fan? ok. there's nothing wrong with that

Keller, I just find ridiculous.

ok

Try telling the Carter fans their opinions aren't valid on the Carter/Weir debate because they're Carter fans. I bet you wouldn't even dare to do that.

you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying your opinion isn't valid. that's bullsh**, every opinion is valid. hell that's why I'm here, to be able to discuss the show with people who have different opinions

Weir fans get another crap around here without you also telling us our opinions don't count or aren't valid, and yeah, it is offensive, because our opinions are as valid as anyone else's.

again I didn't say you opinion isn't valid or it doesn't count! I was merely saying that you're probably not as objective as other people because you're a Weir fan (and again, there's nothing wrong with that). I in no way wanted to offend you or any other Weir-fan, if I did I'm truly sry

Alan
December 15th, 2007, 11:23 AM
As well as the regular cast of the past 4-years I definitely want Amanda to come back! She's always a joy to watch! I also want Jewel to return. I really want her to be a regular from the start of Season 5. I'd like Richard Dean Anderson to do a guest appearence and I wouldn't object to guest appearences from Michael Shanks and Christopher Judge either.

Torri Higginson has said she won't be back as a regular now so if she returned for the odd guest appearence here and there then that'd be good. Same with Paul McGillion too.

Falcon Horus
December 15th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I also want Jewel to return. I really want her to be a regular from the start of Season 5.

The be prepared to loose her in Saturday.

Integrabyte
December 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM
The be prepared to loose her in Saturday.

Hahahaha, you are one funny cookie :P. Of course, she tries to bungee jump off the main tower and she forgets to tie the rope and dives in the water whilst McKay tells Sheppard to fire up the star drive. My last wish before I die :P.

Cautious Explorer
December 15th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Thats not going to happen nor do I want it to happen.Beckett might return but the chances for Weir return to a reccuring role are slim to none. Interesting is relative. Some people like the change, some don't. In the long run TPTB need to please the majority. That must have happened considering they were renewed for a 5th season in the first place.

Unless you've developed psychic powers, you don't know what will happen in season 5. You only know what you think is likely to happen or not happen.

As to TPTB pleasing the majority of viewers. Again, that's only your assumption. There are various theories as to why the renewal came through.

ok that's your opinion. apparently a lot of fans disagree because the ratings are fine and the show's been renewed ;)

Yes, it's my opinion that Carter and Keller are dull, uninteresting characters and I hope they are gone for season 5. You don't have to share that opinion, but please speak for yourself and not for what you think other fans feel. And please, please, please don't launch into another discussion of ratings.

TBTB didn't bring in Carter to be the lead scientist, that's Rodney's and Zelenka's job. and while Shep has shown on the past that he can handle military issues in the past, he's on ly a Lt Col. Carter was the logical choice because she has a lot of experience in all things that concern the SG, she's a military officer and she understands the science stuff Rodney's talking about (none of those apply Weir btw). her job is to oversee everything not take over Rodney's or Shep's jobs. btw the fact that you're a die hard Weir fan doesn't add to your objectivity ;) (no offense)

It's curious that you feel Sheppard's rank as a Lt. Col. disqualified him from leading the expedition. How long exactly had Col. Carter been a Col. when appointed to her job on Atlantis? Weeks? a couple months?

So Carter has scientific skills and military experience. That doesn't mean she has any capability as a leader. And, since this is telelvision, where the characters need to be both qualified and entertaining, Carter's scientific and military skills don't necessarily mean she's the best leader for Atlantis. Qualifications don't make a character engaging. IMO Carter falls flat.

It's interesting that you dismiss someone's opinion based on what character they favor. Since you're a die hard Carter fan, should we discount your opinion too?

PG15
December 15th, 2007, 11:43 AM

So in other words, you want the reset button (and not the soft kind) pressed?

Now THAT will be taking it safe.

Cautious Explorer
December 15th, 2007, 11:52 AM
So in other words, you want the reset button (and not the soft kind) pressed?

Now THAT will be taking it safe.

In the eyes of TPTB? I doubt it. Can't cut that SG-1 apron string.

PG15
December 15th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Bring back Weir and Carson permanently and going back to the same dynamic as before is a reset, pure and simple. Of course, you might not mind it.

But I would. ;)

Killdeer
December 15th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Personally, I think that only the team four should return as regulars, and everyone else should be recurring.

:D (Hides from everything being aimed in my direction).

I'm actually serious though. JM said this....

“In my opinion, the focus of the show is the team: John, Rodney, Ronon and Teyla, and those are the ones that make sense to have as regulars. The base commander, CMO, other scientists and military personal are supporting and it makes sense to have them on a recurring basis.”

JM's answer: A very interesting opinion that is pretty much in line with my approach to the show.

I could actually see them doing this, and it being good. I'm not saying they WILL do this - I know you have to be careful how literally you take what JM says. But I think it would work well. Yeah, it's not how they've been in the habit of doing Stargate, but it would make sense to have Carter and/or Weir, and Beckett and/or Keller as recurring and only bring them in when they needed them for scenes. They could do this even if Carter stays as base commander, which I expect she will.

They wouldn't be tied to having to create storylines for those characters and could focus on the team, and more team missions (hopefully-I'm crossing my fingers) and get them away from Atlantis and out exploring the Pegasus Galaxy. I wouldn't mind an "exploring Atlantis" episode or two, but we have far too many Atlantis and/or earth-based episodes on the schedule this year. Under the circumstances, with the city moved and Teyla's condition and the new characters coming in, it's understandable, but I very much hope it's only a transitional thing.

Mitchell82
December 15th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I didn't say she was but to those who never watched SG-1 she is. But the point is she is new to the show.

I do not understand for the life of me why they would think bringing her in because "OMG! She's so cool! She's a scientist and a military person! We need that!" is a reasonable line of thought. They want military? They have Sheppard and Lorne. They want scientists? They have McKay and Zelenka. All she does is triple up on what they have. She offers nothing that those characters couldn't have handled. What is missing is a Daniel Jackson type of character in this cast, and that's a role that Elizabeth Weir could have filled, had TPTB been a little smarter.
HA! Weir is not even half as smart as Daniel when it comes to Ancient. Carter is the perfect fit because she has both military and scientific backround and she can command the base far better than Weir. All she knew was being a diplomat and did fine in those situations but not in military ones. Carter is by far the better leader.

Not in my eyes she is a very compasionate woman and does a great job but I do miss Carson. However I have grown to love Keller.

Whatever I disagree. They do not snark at the Weir fans. Just becuase you are unhappy doesn't mean they are doing it to irrritate you.

Jumper_One
December 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Unless you've developed psychic powers, you don't know what will happen in season 5. You only know what you think is likely to happen or not happen.

correct

As to TPTB pleasing the majority of viewers. Again, that's only your assumption. There are various theories as to why the renewal came through.

true but remember the show's been renewed which means TBTB have to please at the very least enough fans

Yes, it's my opinion that Carter and Keller are dull, unintersting characters and I hope they are gone for season 5.

ok

You don't have to share that opinion, but please speak for yourself and not for what you think other fans feel.

it was and is not my intention to speak for other fans. let's agree that apparently enough people are watching Atlantis to get another season, whether they like the show or not

And please, please, please don't launch into another discussion of ratings.

I already said I won't talk about the ratings as this isn't the appropriate thread. I only said the show's doing fine, which I will repeat as long as somebody brings it up, nothing more

It's curious that you feel Sheppard's rank as a Lt. Col. disqualified him from leading the expedition.

I believe Shep's capable of being military commander of Atlantis whether he's a Lt or General, his rank wouldn't matter to me. however remember after making contact with Earth he got promoted because the AF felt it wasn't right to let a Major lead the military of such an important base. if Shep were to replace Carter I'd expect him to get another promotion. after all that's why Carter became a full-bird Col (I think it wasn't because of the movies but please correct me if I'm wrong)

How long exactly had Col. Carter been a Col. when appointed to her job on Atlantis? Weeks? a couple months?

that's actually a very good point and I agree, Carter has never before in her career been leader of that many people or commanded such an important outpost. like I said I'd expect a military leader of Atlantis to at least hold the rank of Col, be it Shep, Carter etc

So Carter has scientific skills and military experience. That doesn't mean she has any capability has a leader.

this is essentially correct imo. Carter's never been in this position thus we can only speculate how she will react to certain stuff

And, since this is telelvision, where the characters need to be both qualified and entertaining, Carter's scientific and military skills don't necessarily mean she's the best leader for Atlantis. Qualifications don't make a character engaging.

no it doesn't mean she's the best leader, however her resumee shows that she might be a good leader. add to this her experience, military and scientific skills and one may assume that she's perfect for the job (just to be clear on this, personally I don't think Carter's perfect for the job, she's ok but certainly not infallible)

IMO Carter falls flat.

ok

It's interesting that you dismiss someone's opinion based on what character they favor.

I don't

Since you're a die hard Carter fan, should we discount your opinion too?

I'm not a die hard Carter fan. I like her character, that's it. and just so you know I like Weir too;) I never discounted your opinion, I think I already answered this question in another post. in fact I'm glad you have another opinion because let's face it otherwise this forum would be really dull

um why don't we stop talking about Carter, Weir and different opinions? I have a feeling that sky will soon read these posts and recommend we drop the issue since it's not the right thread for this

Integrabyte
December 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Holy whizzle, posts become longer and longer :P.

Jumper_One
December 15th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Holy whizzle, posts become longer and longer :P.

sry for that long post :o

jelgate
December 15th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Unless you've developed psychic powers, you don't know what will happen in season 5. You only know what you think is likely to happen or not happen. ?*Maybe I do have psychic powers. I was speculating, obviously I don't know for certain whats going to happen in S5. I thought it was obvious that I was guessing.