PDA

View Full Version : Carter & Third SG-1 Movie

Daniel Jackson
December 13th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Assuming there's a third SG-1 movie, how would they work Carter into the story? When we first met her, she was an Air Force Captain. She's been promoted to Major and Lt. Colonel at which point she took command of SG-1 for a year and then shared command with Lt. Colonel Mitchell for the next two years. After that, she was promoted to full Colonel and given Command of Atlantis. If she were to step down from command for whatever reason, I really don't see her going back to her old SG-1 possition. That seems like a step back to me. What I imagine happening with Carter in a potential third SG-1 movie is that she'll either still be in command of Atlantis or on some new assignment. There will be a crisis in which she can contribute, and she'll be recalled for the events of the movie as the expert rather than as a member of SG-1.

What do you think?

Nikki
December 13th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I agree. I don't think she'd re-join SG1 as a team member but like you said would return because she'd be called back for her expertise.

ReganX
December 13th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I agree. I don't think she'd re-join SG1 as a team member but like you said would return because she'd be called back for her expertise.

That's the most likely scenario.

RealmOfX
December 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Assuming there's a third SG-1 movie, how would they work Carter into the story? When we first met her, she was an Air Force Captain. She's been promoted to Major and Lt. Colonel at which point she took command of SG-1 for a year and then shared command with Lt. Colonel Mitchell for the next two years. After that, she was promoted to full Colonel and given Command of Atlantis. If she were to step down from command for whatever reason, I really don't see her going back to her old SG-1 possition. That seems like a step back to me. What I imagine happening with Carter in a potential third SG-1 movie is that she'll either still be in command of Atlantis or on some new assignment. There will be a crisis in which she can contribute, and she'll be recalled for the events of the movie as the expert rather than as a member of SG-1.

What do you think?

Could you explain what you mean by step down from command because Colonel's don't step down from command, they will always be in command of something. If they step down from command they will be out of the military.

If you are only talking about Sam being made a member of SG-1 again then I highly doubt it, however you don't need to be a member of a unit to be assigned to do a mission with them.

Nikki
December 13th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Your question got me thinking and actually what I'm even more curious about is how and why Carter leaves SG1 in the first place?

In season 8 she left because Earth's greatest enemies had been defeated and all of SG1's members, including Jack, were moving on. Now after being promoted to Col. she could still be part of SG1 yet she chooses to leave the team for another assignment (Atlantis) even though the team is still together...was it just the new command/opportunities or does anyone else think she may not have been happy to stay at the SGC after season 8?

She was forced to come back in 'Beachead', season 9...and was very reluctant to but rejoined SG1 because Earth was facing a new threat. We know that that threat is eliminated at the end of AoT and almost immediately Carter's out of the SGC grabbing the next assignment. Just taking the opportunity or would rather work anywhere else than stay at the SGC (as with her qualifications, the job would probably be just as good or better)?

Because after season 8, the SGC hasn’t really been the same.

Jumper_One
December 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM

I agree, she'll return because of he experience in something vital to the movie plot

Agent_Dark
December 13th, 2007, 12:58 PM
carter will be pwning up no doubt. probably microing bulk armies, like executing aurora strikes against teh power stations while microing teh paladin tanks and tomahawk launchers against their zerg tank rush while hunting down their supply centers with roving commanche squadrons. then a colonel burton in their base, knifing their dudes.

Daniel Jackson
December 13th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Could you explain what you mean by step down from command because Colonel's don't step down from command, they will always be in command of something. If they step down from command they will be out of the military.
I was refering to being in command of Atlantis, not commanding stuff in general. I also said for whatever reason meaing that it could be due to a reassignment, the return of Weir, Sheppard taking command, Caldwell taking command, Carter being hurt and needing long-term recover, or whatever.

If you are only talking about Sam being made a member of SG-1 again then I highly doubt it, however you don't need to be a member of a unit to be assigned to do a mission with them.
I already said I doubt Carter will return to SG-1 as it'd be a step backwards. I was asking how you think she might be worked into the story.

Your question got me thinking and actually what I'm even more curious about is how and why Carter leaves SG1 in the first place?
She left SG-1 to succeed Dr. Weir as the leader of the Atlantis Expedition.

In season 8 she left because Earth's greatest enemies had been defeated and all of SG1's members, including Jack, were moving on. Now after being promoted to Col. she could still be part of SG1 yet she chooses to leave the team for another assignment (Atlantis) even though the team is still together...was it just the new command/opportunities or does anyone else think she may not have been happy to stay at the SGC after season 8?
My guess would be the Ori and Ba'al get defeated in the movies which take place after SG-1's finale, but before SG:A "First Strike" (Season 3 finale). Atlantis needs her more than the SGC, so off she goes.

She was forced to come back in 'Beachead', season 9...and was very reluctant to but rejoined SG1 because Earth was facing a new threat. We know that that threat is eliminated at the end of AoT and almost immediately Carter's out of the SGC grabbing the next assignment. Just taking the opportunity or would rather work anywhere else than stay at the SGC (as with her qualifications, the job would probably be just as good or better)?
There's absolutely no reason for Carter to think poorly of the SGC. She didn't want to come back in Season 9, because she had moved on and become attached to her new job. It's like you moving to a new house, and then six months later, your neighbors want you to come back. Are you going to move back just because they want you to? In Season 9, she returns to the SGC because of the Ori. In SG:A, she moves to Atlantis because of the Asurans.

I would say this is mostly due to the departure of RDA and addition of Ben Blander.

Jumper_One
December 13th, 2007, 01:03 PM

hm interesting question. since we don't know how much time passed between FS and the movies we should assume that Carter's still with SG-1 after Continuum, doing what they always do - visiting planets, meeting new pepole etc. I'd guess at some point she goes to Midway station with Dr Lee (Adrift) and helps Atlantis. a few weeks after that she gets reassigned and put in charge of the city. I still think Sam's a soldier first and then a scientist. she has to realize what being leader of Atlantis means for her career thus she takes the job

ReganX
December 13th, 2007, 01:05 PM
In season 8 she left because Earth's greatest enemies had been defeated and all of SG1's members, including Jack, were moving on.

That was the work of the plot device fairies. Making sense is not and never will be a requirement for them.

Even with the majority of the Goa'uld defeated, the galaxy didn't turn into a happy, sunshine-and-rainbows-and-frolicing-in-the-daisies paradise. Whatever about Daniel going to Atlantis and Teal'c joining the Jaffa, Sam leaving the job she loves didn't make sense to me. Being able to explore other planets without having to focus on the war effort would probably have been something she truly enjoyed.

Now after being promoted to Col. she could still be part of SG1 yet she chooses to leave the team for another assignment (Atlantis) even though the team is still together...was it just the new command/opportunities or does anyone else think she may not have been happy to stay at the SGC after season 8?

I think it's a simple case of Atlantis needing her and Sam being aware that she can make a huge contribution there.

DeeKayP
December 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM
This question was brought up in an interview, and Amanda Tapping implied that Carter would still be a member of SG-1, that the subsequent movies would be "anomalies". I'd hate to think that they'd stop SG-1's storyline with Continuum, but it does imply that they would prefer that Atlantis's continuity be considered Stargate canon, rather than making the SG-1 movies and Atlantis sync up.

Q: Okay. Just because your - as you say you’re over on Atlantis and after those two movies so how do they get you back and…

Amanda Tapping: The movies would have to sort of work as autonomous little anomalies out there. I’ve stormed myself of Brad Wright’s floor and held my breath and counted on the floor with… so I don’t think he wants to see that again, so I’m hopeful that I’ll be back on if more movies happen.

-- Amanda Tapping, IESB.net interview (http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_ezine&task=read&page=1&category=2&article=3359).

I hope that I'm reading what she said incorrectly and that they continue to move the remaining members of SG-1 forward instead of locking them into Carter's timeline. I think they deserve to continue their journeys, whether or not Carter is an official member of that team or not.

ReganX
December 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I agree, she'll return because of he experience in something vital to the movie plot

The poor woman is going to come back to Earth for a long overdue vacation, get roped into helping out with whatever catastrophe the gang have got themselves into and return to Atlantis more in need of a break than she was when she left.

Daniel Jackson
December 13th, 2007, 01:11 PM
To be fair, there's nothing stopping them from having Carter appear in the movie just for that movie's one adventure. Let's take Star Trek for example. A year after The Next Generation ended and it's first movie, Worf joined the cast of Deep Space Nine. While he was on the show, TNG got a second and third movie. TNG and DS9 were seperate more or less aside from occasional character crossovers, so it was easy to have Worf in the movies without interfering with DS9. I think the same will happen with SG. Rather than make SG:A accomodate the movies, the movies will accomodate SG:A.

Jumper_One
December 13th, 2007, 01:13 PM
That was the work of the plot device fairies. Making sense is not and never will be a requirement for them.

it's not required but it'd be nice if it'd made sense

Even with the majority of the Goa'uld defeated, the galaxy didn't turn into a happy, sunshine-and-rainbows-and-frolicing-in-the-daisies paradise. Whatever about Daniel going to Atlantis and Teal'c joining the Jaffa, Sam leaving the job she loves didn't make sense to me. Being able to explore other planets without having to focus on the war effort would probably have been something she truly enjoyed.

ah well I guess everybody has a different explanation why she left the SGC :D

I think it's a simple case of Atlantis needing her and Sam being aware that she can make a huge contribution there.

yup that's what I think too

The poor woman is going to come back to Earth for a long overdue vacation, get roped into helping out with whatever catastrophe the gang have got themselves into and return to Atlantis more in need of a break than she was when she left.

yeah I could see that happen. Sam's just too smart and brilliant ;) :P

...TNG got a second and third movie...

actually TNG had four movies (even if ST VII also featured Kirk but essentially it was TNG)

Daniel Jackson
December 13th, 2007, 01:23 PM
My full sentence, "While he was on the show, TNG got a second and third movie." The fourth movie came out after DS9 ended. That is why I did not mention it.

Jumper_One
December 13th, 2007, 01:28 PM
My full sentence, "While he was on the show, TNG got a second and third movie." The fourth movie came out after DS9 ended. That is why I did not mention it.

ok sry I misread, my bad :)

Jumper_One
December 13th, 2007, 01:34 PM
um so we're dismissing the possibility of another movie set before s4 of Atlantis?

Daniel Jackson
December 13th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Yes. The SG-1 movies were filmed before work began on SG:A's fourth season which is the only reason why they are set before.

Jumper_One
December 13th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Yes. The SG-1 movies were filmed before work began on SG:A's fourth season which is the only reason why they are set before.

yes but another SG-1 movie could theoretically take place before s4. it's unlikely but I still wanted to ask

Major_Griff
December 13th, 2007, 01:45 PM
This is how they will explain Carter's presence in the 3rd movie:

SG-1 and Landry are in the briefing room when Carter walks in.

Landry: Carter! What the hell are you doing here?!

Walter: Unscheduled off world activation!

Landry, SG-1, and Carter head to the control room and nothing of it is mentioned from that point on.

SaberBlade
December 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I could see them all having to regroup for one reason or another. The Free Jaffa want to give them an award, or the Aschen start problems so SG1 are recalled because they've dealt with them before, they're getting together to celebrate something, there is something they all need to do back on Earth like train and teach new recruits. Individually it works getting Carter back to Earth and such, collectively it gets SG1 together

That or they'll just do what Griff said and have her (and anyone else) just there then completely forget about it

the fifth man
December 14th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I'm fine with Carter just helping her old team out on a mission. Doesn't really matter to me how she gets there, just that she is there.

spinspinspin
December 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM

I'm not sure if that was the *only* reason why the movies are set before season 4, but even if it was, that does not exclude the possibility that 3rd and (maybe more!) movies would be set in between 2nd movie and SG:A season 4.

After both movies are released though, we might be able to narrow down some possibilities. But for now, I don't think it's prudent to rule out this scenario yet.

I would rather them set the movie before Season 4 than have Carter randomly be back with SG-1, or something contrived like she is visiting Earth and gets roped into helping, or some injury that sends her home, or some alternate universe.

ReganX
December 15th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I'm fine with Carter just helping her old team out on a mission. Doesn't really matter to me how she gets there, just that she is there.

Sam's going to be coming back to Earth sometimes - if nothing else, she's going to need to take vacations if she doesn't want to burn out. It would be completely in character for Mitchell to try to coax her into coming along for a peaceful, routine mission (we all know how they tend to turn out) for old time's sake, and I could see Sam missing the action and accepting.

ReganX
December 15th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I would rather them set the movie before Season 4 than have Carter randomly be back with SG-1, or something contrived like she is visiting Earth and gets roped into helping, or some injury that sends her home, or some alternate universe.

She doesn't need to be a member of SG-1 to work with SG-1, and given her expertise, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that her input would be needed on an important mission.

Amalthea
December 15th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Landry, SG-1, and Carter head to the control room and nothing of it is mentioned from that point on.

LOL yeah, that's how they explained Worf in Insurrection:

Riker: What the hell are you doing here?
Worf: I was on the planet when...
*cut away to Picard doing something*

... or maybe Worf was talking to Picard... whatever, those are the lines

I pray with all my might that that does NOT happen. I don't imagine there will be another movie for a while though, especially with the third series reportedly on the way.

Amaunet
December 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM

:lol:

Agreed!

the fifth man
December 15th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Sam's going to be coming back to Earth sometimes - if nothing else, she's going to need to take vacations if she doesn't want to burn out. It would be completely in character for Mitchell to try to coax her into coming along for a peaceful, routine mission (we all know how they tend to turn out) for old time's sake, and I could see Sam missing the action and accepting.

And Mitchell so would do that sort of thing. Just to have "the band back together."

ReganX
December 16th, 2007, 06:28 AM
And Mitchell so would do that sort of thing. Just to have "the band back together."

Exactly.

poundpuppy29
December 16th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Some Great Points this is why I have the most issue with Sam in Atlantis. I see Sam as scientist first then soldier because she in all 10 seasons on SG-1 that is where you saw her be passionate about where she is more assertive. My main issue for future movies are continuity issues because I want Sam there too. Sam on vacation is an interesting way didn't think of that good idea.

majorsal
December 16th, 2007, 05:40 PM

What do you think?

i don't see sam taking on sg1 again either. commanding atlantis is an upgrade, so anything else... but i can see her coming back to help.

as much as i didn't like mitchell having command of sg1 over her (because of her superior experience), i now like the way mitchell handles himself and i don't mind him commanding the team. i saw co-leading in s9/10, but i'm comfortable with him leading it solo now. he's earned the position.

so if sam is recalled to help out in an event - which is what i hope happens so she can continue her atlantis gig - i can see things easily working out for the storyline.

sally :)

the fifth man
December 16th, 2007, 05:52 PM
i don't see sam taking on sg1 again either. commanding atlantis is an upgrade, so anything else... but i can see her coming back to help.

as much as i didn't like mitchell having command of sg1 over her (because of her superior experience), i now like the way mitchell handles himself and i don't mind him commanding the team. i saw co-leading in s9/10, but i'm comfortable with him leading it solo now. he's earned the position.

so if sam is recalled to help out in an event - which is what i hope happens so she can continue her atlantis gig - i can see things easily working out for the storyline.

sally :)

As a Mitchell/Ben Browder fan, I'm glad you now feel he's earned the position as leader of SG-1.:)

No matter what happens though, there will always be situations when only Sam Carter can help out.

Amaunet
December 18th, 2007, 11:34 PM

So can I...If that is what happens...it pretty much would solve all problems
*Carter would be featured in the movie
*It doesn't affect her position in Atlantis in any way
*It wouldn't affect the storyline in Atlantis either :D

Agent_Dark
December 19th, 2007, 02:53 AM
wherever there's noobs to be pwnt, carter will be there pwning it up.

LaCroix
December 21st, 2007, 04:43 PM
If there is a third movie would I love to see Sam? Sure, but only if AT is up to it. If not, I have no problem viewing it without Sam/AT.

prion
December 21st, 2007, 04:49 PM

What do you think?

They'll get her in somehow if they make another movie, and if they make a third SG series, she'll be in that too ;)

Jumper_One
December 21st, 2007, 04:54 PM
If there is a third movie would I love to see Sam? Sure, but only if AT is up to it. If not, I have no problem viewing it without Sam/AT.

sry but I can't imagine SG-1 without Sam! yes nobody thought RDA might leave but come on what's next? Teal'c's leaving? Vala is somehow gone? nah Carter's gotta be in it, one way or the other

They'll get her in somehow if they make another movie, and if they make a third SG series, she'll be in that too ;)

someone's optimistic :D

madaboutdanny
December 21st, 2007, 04:58 PM
If there is a third movie would I love to see Sam? No. Why? I don't like her. My opinion.

Nomendil
December 22nd, 2007, 09:12 PM
Hi everybody. I think that maybe Carter goes back to Earth commanding a new Earth Vessel but something happens and she must rejoin the SG-1 or picking up the rest of SG-1 to her ship and then begins the new mission.
well it´s just an idea, but I think that she can work with the SG-1 and also be the leader of Atlantis.

chocdoc
December 23rd, 2007, 06:09 AM
Hi everybody. I think that maybe Carter goes back to Earth commanding a new Earth Vessel but something happens and she must rejoin the SG-1 or picking up the rest of SG-1 to her ship and then begins the new mission.
well it´s just an idea, but I think that she can work with the SG-1 and also be the leader of Atlantis.

I agree with you that she can work with SG-1 and still be leader of Atlantis. I'm sure the writers will figure it out so that Sam is part of the third movie.

thekillman
December 28th, 2007, 02:54 AM
im duch and i only have problems with understanding either posts 90% full with technobabble and so have to figure out what he means, or its full of nobish MSM talk. the latter is so hard to understand for me that i cant even type a decent example. sure, sometimes i type incorrect, but thats because of a little aspect of me: i think in advance. when im typing this world, my mind already makes up the next. sometimes i think of the next sentance. and sometimes i use wrong words. yet i never met someone who didnt understand what i was talking about. somtimes they dont get what i want, ok, but they still understood my post. for a guy not used to english, either very formal english or noobish english is hard to undestand. common english is very easy to understand. otherwise i would have a 10/10, a 9.5/10 , a 8.9/10 and a 9/10 for english [in holland you get a 1 if you are bad and a 10 if you're good. at school ofcourse.]
about carter: i think that if she will be in any movie, its like "i was needed here" or "i got a day off" or "no problems back there and sheppard is in command" or " i wouldnt want to miss this for the world".

bad in english> watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzgEi_u9-88

ReganX
December 29th, 2007, 08:45 AM

It is unlikely that she will ever rejoin SG-1, but they'll find ways to have her work with them.

Skydiver
December 29th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Folks, while i certainly - personally - agree with you that all this gaming slang does little but make its users sound stupid and is annoying to wade through and be subjected to, as a mod, i gotta say we have no rule demanding that people make sense when they post here. If we did, I'd be deleteing posts all day long :)

AD's comment, as unintelligible as it was, is on topic, a discussion of the popularity and appropriateness of gaming slang isnt' in this thread.

Please, let's keep this to Carter and the Third SG1 movie.

The only other suggestion i have, if a poster is continually making posts that annoy you, please consider putting them on ignore. That way you don't have to see thier posts.

the fifth man
December 29th, 2007, 09:26 PM
It is unlikely that she will ever rejoin SG-1, but they'll find ways to have her work with them.

As long as she is there, that would work with me.:)

Jumper_One
December 30th, 2007, 12:06 PM
As long as she is there, that would work with me.:)

same here, an SG-1 movie without Carter would be really strange imo

jenks
December 30th, 2007, 02:54 PM
It wouldn't bother me too much to be honest, for me she's easily the most dull and boring character of the lot.

Jumper_One
December 30th, 2007, 05:27 PM
It wouldn't bother me too much to be honest, for me she's easily the most dull and boring character of the lot.

that's your opinion and I disagree. even if I wouldn't like the character SG-1 without a scientist can't survive for long and bringing in a new scientist/officer is gonna be a little difficult imo

Nikki
December 30th, 2007, 05:28 PM
same here, an SG-1 movie without Carter would be really strange imo

Indeed. I honestly don't think I'd bother watching. As it is I'm only watching for her, Teal'c and the occasional appearance of Jack. I found the Ori storyline tremendously dull.

Jumper_One
December 30th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Indeed. I honestly don't think I'd bother watching. As it is I'm only watching for her, Teal'c and the occasional appearance of Jack. I found the Ori storyline tremendously dull.

personally I had enough problems adjusting to SG-1 after RDA left and while now I'm able to enjoy s9 and 10, I'd hate to lose another one of my favorite characters. also like I said SG-1 without a scientist is pretty much doomed imo

Nikki
December 30th, 2007, 05:52 PM
personally I had enough problems adjusting to SG-1 after RDA left and while now I'm able to enjoy s9 and 10, I'd hate to lose another one of my favorite characters. also like I said SG-1 without a scientist is pretty much doomed imo

Exactly. For me SG1 was never only about the unique premise and intricately weaved storylines (quite obviously as I thought both were non-existent in S9/10) but it was also about the characters themselves. In the first eight years I really connected to :jack:, :sam:, :tealc:, :daniel:, :hammond:, Janet and Jacob and was genuinely gripped by their development as the series went on. With Jack, Hammond, Janet and Jacob gone and Daniel having changed a lot (not for the better IMHO) I don't think I'd carry on watching if Sam left as well.

However, you're right. I don't think they're gonna get rid of the character as she has a very strong fan-base and is needed in the movies (being the sole scientist) so I think there's still a lot more Sam to come and I for one am very pleased about that. :sam:

Jumper_One
December 30th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Exactly. For me SG1 was never only about the unique premise and intricatly weaved storylines (quite obviously as I thought both were non-existent in S9/10) but it was also about the characters themselves. In the first eight years I really connected to :jack:, :sam:, :tealc:, :daniel:, :hammond:, Janet and Jacob and was genuinely gripped by their development as the series went on. With Jack, Hammond, Janet and Jacob gone and Daniel having changed a lot (not for the better IMHO) I don't think I'd carry on watching if Sam left as well.

well I'd still watch but it sure take some time before I might enjoy it. and this certainly wouldn't be easy since we only have the possibility of SG-1 movies and not 20 eps/season. btw I agree Daniel changed and became Jackson

However, you're right. I don't think they're gonna get rid of the character as she has a very strong fan-base and is needed in the movies (being the sole scientist)

imo the only for TBTB to make future movies without Carter would be trying to get McKay since a lot of people watch Atlantis and are familiar with him. a totally new character for a few more movies wouldn't work imo

so I think there's still a lot more Sam to come and I for one am very pleased about that. :sam:

couldn't agree more :) um I mean :sam:

Nikki
December 30th, 2007, 06:29 PM
well I'd still watch but it sure take some time before I might enjoy it. and this certainly wouldn't be easy since we only have the possibility of SG-1 movies and not 20 eps/season. btw I agree Daniel changed and became Jackson

True and because of that reason I doubt they'll want to introduce new cast regulars. They wouldn't have enough time to develop the character(s).

imo the only for TBTB to make future movies without Carter would be trying to get McKay since a lot of people watch Atlantis and are familiar with him. a totally new character for a few more movies wouldn't work imo

I could see that happening if for some reason Carter was desperately needed in Atlantis and Mckay could be spared (the latter sounding extremely unlikely). As it stands Atlantis has been renewed for a fifth season and JM said (on his blog, I think) that if it’s not renewed for a sixth they'd want to do a movie, so I doubt they could have Mckay over on SG1 as well.

couldn't agree more :) um I mean :sam:

lol :sam:

Jumper_One
December 30th, 2007, 06:46 PM
True and because of that reason I doubt they'll want to introduce new cast regulars. They wouldn't have enough time to develop the character(s).

that's exactly my point

I could see that happening if for some reason Carter was desperately needed in Atlantis and Mckay could be spared (the latter sounding extremely unlikely).

McKay's the only other scientist/kinda soldier (I'm deliberately forgetting Zelenka and Dr. Lee, not to mention Felger lol) who the fans might accept. not as a member of SG-1 though, he'd have to somehow end up on Earth without a choice but to help them. but then SG-1 would still be without a scientist which would be ridiculous because almost every SG team has one. ah well you know what I mean

As it stands Atlantis has been renewed for a fifth season and JM said (on his blog, I think) that if it’s not renewed for a sixth they'd want to do a movie, so I doubt they could have Mckay over on SG1 as well.

yes JM indeed said this which I'm really glad about. however right now Atlantis is doing fine (ratings/viewers) and we got a 5th season, let's hope for many more. maybe at some point they could do another cross over, who knows

lol :sam:

:samanime20: :samanime15:

the fifth man
December 30th, 2007, 06:59 PM
yes JM indeed said this which I'm really glad about. however right now Atlantis is doing fine (ratings/viewers) and we got a 5th season, let's hope for many more. maybe at some point they could do another cross over, who knows

Personally, I would love the idea of a SG-1/SGA crossover movie.:)

Nikki
December 30th, 2007, 07:23 PM
McKay's the only other scientist/kinda soldier (I'm deliberately forgetting Zelenka and Dr. Lee, not to mention Felger lol) who the fans might accept. not as a member of SG-1 though, he'd have to somehow end up on Earth without a choice but to help them. but then SG-1 would still be without a scientist which would be ridiculous because almost every SG team has one. ah well you know what I mean

lol, yeh I do. :)

Me too, I'd love an Atlantis movie and crossovers would be even better. :jack::sheppard::sam::mckay::tealc::ronan::daniel::teyla:

:samanime20: :samanime15:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/scarimor/sciencesamanim02.gif http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/scarimor/sciencesamanim03.gif http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/scarimor/jellosamani.gif http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f30/scarimor/f302samanim.gif

:D

Karyyk
December 30th, 2007, 07:52 PM
They can always just send in Doctor Lee...

Yes, I'm kidding.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Obviously replacing Sam with another character is going to seem odd, especially with no series in which to break-in a replacement. That option is more or less out. Either you can do this by somehow incorporating SG-1 with her vacation time (seems a bit inconsiderate) or somehow having SG-1 in Atlantis for some reason (which doesn't answer why they never dealt with a replacement for her and which, I'm sure, won't be very popular with Atlantis fans). Any way you look at it, someone's not going to like it. Personally, I'm fine with Teal'C, Daniel, Mitchell and Vala, but considering the nature of SG-1, life without a polymath of Sam's caliber may be very difficult indeed.

Jumper_One
December 31st, 2007, 12:03 PM
Personally, I would love the idea of a SG-1/SGA crossover movie.:)

same here, a crossover movie would be really cool. though right now I'm hoping for many more season of SGA

lol, yeh I do. :)

to quote Sam 'well then I'm glad' :)

Me too, I'd love an Atlantis movie and crossovers would be even better. :jack::sheppard::sam::mckay::tealc::ronan::daniel::teyla:

agreed

They can always just send in Doctor Lee...

Yes, I'm kidding.

I'm glad you are ;)

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Obviously replacing Sam with another character is going to seem odd, especially with no series in which to break-in a replacement. That option is more or less out. Either you can do this by somehow incorporating SG-1 with her vacation time (seems a bit inconsiderate) or somehow having SG-1 in Atlantis for some reason (which doesn't answer why they never dealt with a replacement for her and which, I'm sure, won't be very popular with Atlantis fans). Any way you look at it, someone's not going to like it. Personally, I'm fine with Teal'C, Daniel, Mitchell and Vala, but considering the nature of SG-1, life without a polymath of Sam's caliber may be very difficult indeed.

yup SG-1 without Carter isn't really SG-1

prion
January 2nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prion
They'll get her in somehow if they make another movie, and if they make a third SG series, she'll be in that too

someone's optimistic :D

No, not optimistic, just realistic. I think the producers are so enamored of the character/ actress that she'll be in any and all Stargate franchises, even as a guest spot ;)

Jumper_One
January 2nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
No, not optimistic, just realistic. I think the producers are so enamored of the character/ actress that she'll be in any and all Stargate franchises, even as a guest spot ;)

maybe but I can see TBTB doing this to Daniel too. and who knows, maybe even O'Neill shows up ;)

Aerilon
January 5th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Personally, as far as I am concerned, Carter is in Atlantis now. She can't keep popping back and forward whenever there is a big storyline to take place. She is in Atlantis, having took command. Leave her there.

Should we get a forth movie (not a third, as that is Continuum), they should either replace Carter with another smart ass, or, should simple stick with the other cast.

Yes it would be nice to see Carter with the SG-1 team again, but like I've said, she has moved on.

bossluna
January 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Personally, as far as I am concerned, Carter is in Atlantis now. She can't keep popping back and forward whenever there is a big storyline to take place. She is in Atlantis, having took command. Leave her there.

Should we get a forth movie (not a third, as that is Continuum), they should either replace Carter with another smart ass, or, should simple stick with the other cast.

Yes it would be nice to see Carter with the SG-1 team again, but like I've said, she has moved on.

sorry, i have to disagree. SG1 won't be SG1 without Carter. I don't think I would be interested in watching. Carter's just been an integral part of the team since the beginning and it just wouldn't be the same if she weren't in it.

But really though, would I care if they came up with a lame excuse for her coming back to SG1 in a third movie (knock on wood)? ummm...nope. I would even be happy with a line like, "I just came to use your bathroom....what?! there's a crisis and you need my help? No problem. I'll let Shep know." Done. New adventure with original team.

I guess it's not difficult for me to suspend my belief for 2 hours. lol! I do it everyday when I read fanfic anyways. I just want the stories to never end. :)

Nikki
January 5th, 2008, 05:16 PM
sorry, i have to disagree. SG1 won't be SG1 without Carter. I don't think I would be interested in watching. Carter's just been an integral part of the team since the beginning and it just wouldn't be the same if she weren't in it.

But really though, would I care if they came up with a lame excuse for her coming back to SG1 in a third movie (knock on wood)? ummm...nope. I would even be happy with a line like, "I just came to use your bathroom....what?! there's a crisis and you need my help? No problem. I'll let Shep know." Done. New adventure with original team.

I guess it's not difficult for me to suspend my belief for 2 hours. lol! I do it everyday when I read fanfic anyways. I just want the stories to never end. :)

I agree. Well said. :)

the fifth man
January 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I agree. Well said. :)

Well said, indeed! I'd much rather have Carter back for the SG-1 movies than to just have her on SGA. It wouldn't matter to me that she was doing both.

Jumper_One
January 5th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Well said, indeed! I'd much rather have Carter back for the SG-1 movies than to just have her on SGA. It wouldn't matter to me that she was doing both.

same here, I'd love to see her in Atlantis and SG-1 movies

the fifth man
January 5th, 2008, 08:45 PM
same here, I'd love to see her in Atlantis and SG-1 movies

That would definitely work with me. There will always be a reason why she is needed to help out SG-1.

Jumper_One
January 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
That would definitely work with me. There will always be a reason why she is needed to help out SG-1.

Carter's been part of the team for the past 10 years and she's the scientist who figures everything out. SG-1 without her wouldn't be the same and I'm sure TBTB agree

the fifth man
January 5th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Carter's been part of the team for the past 10 years and she's the scientist who figures everything out. SG-1 without her wouldn't be the same and I'm sure TBTB agree

I'm sure they would agree as well.:)

Aerilon
January 6th, 2008, 05:35 AM
sorry, i have to disagree. SG1 won't be SG1 without Carter.The same could be said for O'Neill couldn't it?

I don't think I would be interested in watching. Carter's just been an integral part of the team since the beginning and it just wouldn't be the same if she weren't in it.I thought the same when they got rid of Jack, but I continued to watch, and found myself still liking the show.

Carter's been part of the team for the past 10 years and she's the scientist who figures everything out. SG-1 without her wouldn't be the same and I'm sure TBTB agreeIt be nice to see her there, don't get me wrong, I am just thinking that as she is on Atlantis now, they could do a movie without her.

Jumper_One
January 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I'm sure they would agree as well.:)

they better ;)

The same could be said for O'Neill couldn't it?

well yeah but that's a different story, O'Neill wasn't part of the team in s8. s9 and 10 did essentially feature a new team (Mitchell, Vala) and don't forget about Landry, Lam and the Ori as the new enemy. TBTB had to make these changes because RDA left the show. however SG-1 without O'Neill is really very different, on that I totally agree with you and I'm really looking forward to seeing him again in Continuum, even if it's AT O'Neill

I thought the same when they got rid of Jack, but I continued to watch, and found myself still liking the show.

yeah I still liked the show too but it was certainly different

It be nice to see her there, don't get me wrong, I am just thinking that as she is on Atlantis now, they could do a movie without her.

TBTB could but I really doubt they will. Carter's SG-1's scientist, every team has one thus without her they'd need to introduce a new character. there will only be a few more SG-1 movies, no more 20 eps per season. to make such a drastic change for a few movies would be a big mistake imo. I think every SG-1 fan would be ok with a simple reason why Carter's helping the team again (ie she's on vacation and something happens), even though she's leading the Atlantis expedition

bossluna
January 6th, 2008, 04:26 PM
The same could be said for O'Neill couldn't it?

I thought the same when they got rid of Jack, but I continued to watch, and found myself still liking the show.

yeah, it took some time to get used to not having jack there for 9 and 10...even earlier when i think about it, but we're talking movies here. i doubt I'd be thoroughly enjoying an SG1 movie if my girl Carter weren't in it...just no way. I'd miss her presence enormously, It'd be like a black hole burning on the screen. I'm exaggerating a bit, but I think you get my meaning. Besides, I think she's the only one who can keep the boys from murdering each other on a mission. ;)

the fifth man
January 6th, 2008, 06:41 PM
It be nice to see her there, don't get me wrong, I am just thinking that as she is on Atlantis now, they could do a movie without her.

Yeah, they could. And that movie would most likely still end up being really good. But, I just don't see them excluding her.

Ladyinred
January 6th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Yeah, they could. And that movie would most likely still end up being really good. But, I just don't see them excluding her.

Don't you think that it may become sort of continuity nightmare? Both AoT and Continuum take place before her going to Atlantis. The next movie would have to take place before Atlantis either or they would be forced to waste time explaining why she left SG-1 and commanded Atlantis. She's Atlantis, so left her there. It actually shows that she doesn't need SG-1 anymore or worse, that SG-1 doesn't exist.

RealmOfX
January 6th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Don't you think that it may become sort of continuity nightmare? Both AoT and Continuum take place before her going to Atlantis. The next movie would have to take place before Atlantis either or they would be forced to waste time explaining why she left SG-1 and commanded Atlantis. She's Atlantis, so left her there. It actually shows that she doesn't need SG-1 anymore or worse, that SG-1 doesn't exist.

A continuity nightmare?? Nope, don't think so.

As for your last sentence - are you serious? A military person is moved around according to the military's need not according to the person's personal needs. A transfer doesn't mean that your previous unit ceases to exist and I'm surprised anyone would make such outlandish statements. Sam is military so she can be assigned anywhere they want including TDY to help out SG-1 - it ain't difficult to comprehend.

flynn1959
January 7th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I don't think Carter adds much of anything to Stargate, so I don't care one way or the other is she is in a third movie. If she is, then I will do my best to look around her to the characters I do find interesting. Just as I have had to do for years on the tv show.

I didn't mind her too much in AOT, in fact she was almost like the Carter of old, before tptb ruined the character for me. So if we get that version of Carter I could put up with her in the next movie.