Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to destroy your city through a rain of toothpicks

It is retarded.

A ship hovering a hundred meters above the city, and pretending to be destroying the whole place with pathetic attacks, and pretending to destroy a whole bunch of nanites with small explosives, is stupid.

Especially when the Asurans know full well that's precisely how they survived (yeah, that aspect of the plot wasn't painful to watch one year ago).

They could... wait, strike that. They should have buried the whole city from space with an impressive, and actually much necessary demonstration of firepower.

I'd have expected that TPTB would not reproduce the nonsense seen in Progeny, but that was asking too much.

Oh, besides, bravo for the drones which can't strike straight, missing Weir and John several times, or which failed to destroy a puddle jumper in one shot.

Why the hell anytime they try to build characters, they completely ruin any attempt at suspending disbelief?

The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Having a bad day?

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
    O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Maybe they pulled CG budget from TMC and sent it over to BAMSR.
      These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

The Ancients have never been shown to have energy weapons on their ships. Aurora class ships have drones. Showing the ships to have any other kind of weapons would be "retarded", as you so eloquently but it.
        I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments regarding the weakness of the drones. If the Asurans knew that the drones would have such a weak effect on the fake Atlantis, couldn't they have just dropped a nuke? Would have more effective, and a heck of a lot more potent than what looked like catapult level damage to the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
            It is retarded.

A ship hovering a hundred meters above the city, and pretending to be destroying the whole place with pathetic attacks, and pretending to destroy a whole bunch of nanites with small explosives, is stupid.

Especially when the Asurans know full well that's precisely how they survived (yeah, that aspect of the plot wasn't painful to watch one year ago).

They could... wait, strike that. They should have buried the whole city from space with an impressive, and actually much necessary demonstration of firepower.

I'd have expected that TPTB would not reproduce the nonsense seen in Progeny, but that was asking too much.

Oh, besides, bravo for the drones which can't strike straight, missing Weir and John several times, or which failed to destroy a puddle jumper in one shot.

Why the hell anytime they try to build characters, they completely ruin any attempt at suspending disbelief?

I had problems with the attack too...

As the warship fired on the fake Atlantis it literally did so in dribs and drabs, almost like warning shots. I've seen puddle jumpers attack more aggressively!

Compare that to when we are in control of an Aurora class warship and you clearly see the difference - a stream of drones arcing in and out of an enemy target over and over until it explodes.

As you correctly point out, even a full bombardment from a single Aurora would not be enough to destroy all the individual nanites. They should of had a whole fleet firing hundreds of drones down from orbit. If the FX budget was limited then they should have just ditched the painful scene showing drones somehow missing Sheppard and Teyla and put the cash to more believable use.

The only real reason they didn't show such an attack, and also why the fake Atlantis needed to have low power and therefore no shields is simple. They needed time for the fake team to escape alive for the plot to progress.

Comment

I seriously don't think the Asuran drones are as good as the proper Ancient ones. They aren't controlled by the mind, so IMO they will be less manueverable and less powerful, and won't be fired as rapidly. It has been shown that certain people can control the drones better than others, but as these are most likely just automated they won't be as good.

That's my theory anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                It is retarded.

As for the puddle jumper it possible the Asurans wanted to capture the dupliteam, especially as first drone that hit the jumper clipped the engine pod forcing the Jumper down.
                A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

depends on how many toothpicks you had, maybe a few trillion diamond sharp one would do it lol
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                    The Ancients have never been shown to have energy weapons on their ships. Aurora class ships have drones. Showing the ships to have any other kind of weapons would be "retarded", as you so eloquently but it.
                    Huh, I've posted images of impressive turrets covered both sides of an Aurora since season 2.

If you pay your artists to build models with turrets, maybe one day, you'd actually think about... err... using these weapons?

Oh but yes, get ready for the Kindred.
                    All systems go. Ready to throw blue, yellow and white subsonic crap at ranges of two kilometers top.

Even drones are capable of orbital ranges anyway. Even a damn puddle jumper can fire in the high atmosphere and blast a poor soul on the ground.

Originally posted by Not_Fazed View Post

As the warship fired on the fake Atlantis it literally did so in dribs and drabs, almost like warning shots. I've seen puddle jumpers attack more aggressively!

Compare that to when we are in control of an Aurora class warship and you clearly see the difference - a stream of drones arcing in and out of an enemy target over and over until it explodes.

As you correctly point out, even a full bombardment from a single Aurora would not be enough to destroy all the individual nanites. They should of had a whole fleet firing hundreds of drones down from orbit. If the FX budget was limited then they should have just ditched the painful scene showing drones somehow missing Sheppard and Teyla and put the cash to more believable use.

The only real reason they didn't show such an attack, and also why the fake Atlantis needed to have low power and therefore no shields is simple. They needed time for the fake team to escape alive for the plot to progress.
                    I can find you a thousand ways to emulate a sort of nuke-like boom boom on the city just by reusing old footage and adding a few effects.
                    Take an Aurora orbiting a planet. I'm sure they have plenty of stock footage of such things. Add pwee pwee sounds and show blue stuff fired at the planet.
                    Take your random image of Atlantis, briefly show a blue streak hitting the city, and immediately paint the whole screen white.
                    Take it back to space, same shot with the orbiting Aurora, and paste a large white blooming spot on the surface of the planet.

Hard, isn't it?

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                    I seriously don't think the Asuran drones are as good as the proper Ancient ones. They aren't controlled by the mind, so IMO they will be less manueverable and less powerful, and won't be fired as rapidly. It has been shown that certain people can control the drones better than others, but as these are most likely just automated they won't be as good.

That's my theory anyway.
                    McKay had no problem to pilot a drone in The Tower with his sort of laptop. The drone executed a very tight 90° at an impressive speed.

Ah, yes, I also forgot that one. Asuran drones are (necessarily) slow.
                    Last edited by Mister Oragahn; 11 December 2007, 07:11 AM.
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Not_Fazed View Post

I dont think they wanted to completely destroy the city, just get most of the replicators, so that they could reintigrate them in to the collective

Comment

Won't these replicators be stored in the central data core thing? Like how Oberoth managed to survive the city he was in being blasted to bits in space; he just recreated himself from a backup back on Asuras.
                        So I don't think they intended to kill the replicators on RepliLantis, but maybe they knew that there were living organisms there, and they just wanted to kill them.

Comment

Thsoe were great screen caps of the Aurora, but who is to say htey are not for other uses, like part of the long range sensors?

IF they are weaponry, why have we not yet seen them used?

Comment

Who cares if the attack was slow and not as devastating as a nuke? It did its job, didn't it?

Comment

I think the weapons are missing the secret ingredient, a human componant.
                              I dunno whether this is intentional or maybe when it comes to the Asurans the CGI dept are a lazy bunch.
                              But the drones, in Lost City II, Rising II, Seige II, No Mans Land, Travelers. Had a human operator rather than the Replicator.
                              When the Asurans fired a shot it was so boring and mechanical, one by one.

Orion blew things up good ma!

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                              X