Imagination exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagination exercise

"Mortail Coil" was an interesting and nice episode.

However ... please try to imagine a SG1 in which the Tok'ra had been killed at the end of the "The Tok'ra" episode (season 2) : with no Martouf, no Selmak, and no other Tok'ra appearing in any of the following episodes !

This is exactly what happened in 'Mortail Coil' : the writers have missed the opportunity of introducing great new allies in the Pegasus galaxy .

Spoiler:
    We find out that there is a group of Asurans who think differently from the rest of them, a group that might be open to talk to the humans and maybe even collaborate with the SGA team in the future - we'll never know for sure .

What's the fate of these apparently less-evil Asurans ? They get destroyed in the same episode, of course !

Bad and sad decision. Wasting alliances is a horribly wrong idea because the humans are not advanced enough to confront directly races like Asurans and Wraith. The SGA team needs to sneak around , hide, find hidden weaknesses , and find ALLIES .

So, do you think that you would have enjoyed SG1 as much as you did if the team had no recurring friends like the Tok'ra and the Asgard ?

My answer is obviously "NO" : those races have been essential in making SG1 a great show . It's a shame that SGA tends to emphasize the humans as being the only good guys : it will eventually become boring .
    Last edited by HyperspaceDaemon; 10 December 2007, 02:48 AM.

I agree. There are very interesting story-arc which could be brought from SG-1 to SGA. This was the one of them. Unfortunately, TPTB bring only a boring story-arcs from SG-1
    Stolen Kosovo
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
      I agree. There are very interesting story-arc which could be brought from SG-1 to SGA. This was the one of them. Unfortunately, TPTB bring only a boring story-arcs from SG-1
      Come to think of it, the only thing TPTBs are good at is killing

Comment

Originally posted by Pajus View Post
        Come to think of it, the only thing TPTBs are good at is killing
        that and destroying valuble technology
        sigpic

Comment

Well they couldnt have been killed off necessarily... that was one group that we saw that was killed off by the main Asurans... there could easily have been other splinter cells. You know... keep all the cell separate and not know of other existences to make sure that the work survives and comes through? That would have been my strategy. And the rebel replicators would be an interesting group....don't count them out yet. If the TPTB's were smart they would have other rebel asuran cells operating who would contact (or vice versa) with atlantis.
          Prakash
          I want my Carson and Elizabeth back!

But don't get rid of Dr Keller and Co. Carter! Why can't we have all of them? Why can't we just all get along?

Comment

1. So now copying SG1 ideas is a good idea. Check.

2. Since we haven't seen any episodes past This Mortal Coil, who's to say they're all dead? I think we'll see them in some form again. It's like the Matrix; there will always be those who don't fit with the rest of the collective.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

2. Since we haven't seen any episodes past This Mortal Coil, who's to say they're all dead? I think we'll see them in some form again. It's like the Matrix; there will always be those who don't fit with the rest of the collective.
              1. Copying SG-1 ideas is the downfall of this show in my opinion. The show needs to stay fresh with new ideas and stories of their own. I don't want to see the same stories and ideas twice. It gets boring.

2. Since when do TPTB do something right? They destroy everything that could be good for the show. Especially if it is a character. Then they kill him/her off. If it's technology it gets gestroyed etc. I am loosing faith in the writers and this show.

Comment

You do realize that this "let's make part of the enemy our allies because they're a splinter group" is a rip off of SG1 right? That's what my sarcasm was going for...

As for #2, well, I disagree. Yes, they've blown up their share of powerful ships and thingies (and even that is debatable on whether it's bad thing or not), but I think they've done plenty of things right.

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGolf-OneNiner View Post
                  1. Copying SG-1 ideas is the downfall of this show in my opinion. The show needs to stay fresh with new ideas and stories of their own. I don't want to see the same stories and ideas twice. It gets boring.
                  if they use interesting stories from SG-1, I'm not against it. But SGA TPTB's can't devise something original and new. It's impossible task for them.

2. Since when do TPTB do something right? They destroy everything that could be good for the show. Especially if it is a character. Then they kill him/her off. If it's technology it gets gestroyed etc. I am loosing faith in the writers and this show.
                  I've lost my faith long ago...
                  Stolen Kosovo
                  sigpic

Comment

You do realize that this "let's make part of the enemy our allies because they're a splinter group" is a rip off of SG1 right? That's what my sarcasm was going for...

As for #2, well, I disagree. Yes, they've blown up their share of powerful ships and thingies (and even that is debatable on whether it's bad thing or not), but I think they've done plenty of things right.

like what?
                    Stolen Kosovo
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, I think they've always done the humor right, the CGI and music has always been grade A stuff, and there are various little character moments that warms my heart thoughout the season. There are also many nods to continuity and the overarcing Wraith/Replicator war throughout the season so far that I'm loving. They've also done a good job on Todd, and the moral ambiguity at the end of Miller's Crossing was awesome. I'm sure if I thought about it, I can come up with more. Heck, if you really want to know, just read my episode reviews.

You're free to disagree, of course.

Comment

Well, I think they've always done the humor right, the CGI and music has always been grade A stuff, and there are various little character moments that warms my heart thoughout the season. There are also many nods to continuity and the overarcing Wraith/Replicator war throughout the season so far that I'm loving. They've also done a good job on Todd, and the moral ambiguity at the end of Miller's Crossing was awesome. I'm sure if I thought about it, I can come up with more. Heck, if you really want to know, just read my episode reviews.

You're free to disagree, of course.
                        You have a point on the humor, CGI and music. All are great. You speak of the overarcing Wraith/Replicator war. Yeah that arc would be great to see. But most of the time we get standalone episodes with no tie to the war. Here some examples Doppelganger, Tabula Rasa, Miller's Crossing (well Todd was in it so there was a little tie in.), Travellers (Larrin and Lucius Luvin should get married. They are both terrible), Missing.

Comment

Originally posted by HyperspaceDaemon View Post
                          My answer is obviously "NO" : those races have been essential in making SG1 a great show . It's a shame that SGA tends to emphasize the humans as being the only good guys : it will eventually become boring .
                          That is an interesting question, and i do agree, they missed out on a great chance to make them allies.

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGolf-OneNiner View Post
                            But most of the time we get standalone episodes with no tie to the war. Here some examples Doppelganger, Tabula Rasa, Miller's Crossing (well Todd was in it so there was a little tie in.), Travellers (Larrin and Lucius Luvin should get married. They are both terrible), Missing.
                            I actually like having standalone episodes. This is just my opinion of course, but I don't like watching a show where everything is connected to one another, then it would feel too much like a soap opera. Also, even though I watch every episode anyways, I don't want to feel like I would be missing something crucial to the plot if I missed a few. For example, I started watching Heroes, but after missing a few episode, I was completely lost on the storyline.

I like how the Stargate shows (both of them) have plenty of stand-alone episodes that don't continue on the main arc of the season(s). That way, you don't feel like the main arc is the ONLY thing that the heroes are working on, they have other stuff to worry about as well.

Something like....a 50/50 split between arc and standalone episode? Hmm maybe that is a little too much standalones....perhaps 12 arc episodes and 8 standalone "fun" episodes per season? Something in that range would please me! (and others, if any, like me)
                            sine sine cosine sine,
                            three point one four one five nine!
                            Originally posted by Brad Wright Q&A on Mallozzi's Blog
                            [in response to a question about fan reaction to SGA's cancellation]

Wright: You guys are actually pretty predictable (take no offense, most fan groups are). Unfortunately, you represent a very small portion of the actual viewing audience we need for financial success.
                            This is the reality. Accept it.

Comment

1. Please don't assert inaccurate generalizations : noone said that SGA should re-do everything that has happened in SG1. However : SGA is lacking the balance between the good guys and the bad guys ; the team badly needs allies - otherwise the survival of the SGA team will become more and more implausible .

Anyway, SGA is already copying itself : getting new ZPMs convieniently during every cliffhanger has become a habit , which for me is far worse than "copying" a vague idea like "getting more friends".

2. Yes, there is a tiny probability to see the rebel Asurans again . But it's unlikely , given the typical story writing : the characters/technologies introduced in stand-alone episodes are rarely seen again .
                              Last edited by HyperspaceDaemon; 11 December 2007, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X