PDA

View Full Version : Citizen Joe- Likely Not a Clip Show

David
October 10th, 2004, 06:12 AM
I just spoke with Bruce Woloshyn, Visual Effects Supervisor at Rainmaker, who says they are currently working on visual effects for SG-1's "Citizen Joe." Because of the number of effects, does not believe the episode will be a clip show. Though slightly premature, we can breathe a sigh of releif.

Bruce will also have a prominent cameo in the preview for this show.

Markey2
October 10th, 2004, 06:27 AM
That's good news - sort of. I still want to know what it's about and i hope he's right.

Replicarter
October 10th, 2004, 06:37 AM
sigh of releif? i like clip shows.

ShadowMaat
October 10th, 2004, 06:40 AM
That IS an immense relief, however, the whole concept of the ep still sounds deeply suspicious and hokey... Guess we'll see. Yay for Bruce being in the ep, though. :)

lionel_pendergast_rocks
October 10th, 2004, 07:31 AM
If im correct in saying that clip shows are shows like inauguration and disclosure, where all they do is look back on the whole season and other seasons, then i must hope that it is not one. i hate them. if im not correct in saying this, then, dont mind me.

MartoufMarty
October 10th, 2004, 07:39 AM
You're right a clip show or clip episode is like Politics, Inauguration, and Disclosure.

I think that the plot of this episode is kind of... iffy. Kind of like Sight Unseen. That seemed iffy and it turned out quite... iffy.

I'll give it a chance, but... I have doubts.

Glad to hear it's not a clip episode though. But it makes you wonder what actually is gonna happen...

David
October 10th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Interestingly, clip shows often hold weight to directing the ever-changing winds of the show. In "Politics" Kinsey marched in and shut the program down. "Disclosure" was a major change for the world as a whole, and of course, "Inauguration" later turned out to be very important for the developments in "Lost City."

MartoufMarty
October 10th, 2004, 07:55 AM
True. Even though clip episodes do have major impacts on storylines, you have to admit they really aren't that interesting.

ShadowMaat
October 10th, 2004, 07:58 AM
What would be even better would be if TPTB could manage to make pivotal, monumental changes to the storyline WITHOUT resorting to clips shows. :)

MartoufMarty
October 10th, 2004, 07:59 AM
What would be even better would be if TPTB could manage to make pivotal, monumental changes to the storyline WITHOUT resorting to clips shows. :)
Would New Order part 1 and part 2 count? :P And Lost City Part 1 and Part 2?

ShadowMaat
October 10th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Would New Order part 1 and part 2 count? :P And Lost City Part 1 and Part 2?
Exactly. They don't need a crutch, they can stand on their own two feet (or however many feet they have in total) without using clips shows as a safety net.

Sure, I can understand the need for the OCCASIONAL one just to bring new people up to date, but we don't need one or two every season! Give fans SOME credit for being able to remember things. :P

David
October 10th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Clip shows are specifically designed to save cash. Stock footage, etc. Basically it equals to "OK, we overbudgeted other shows, this is our hour of penance."

MartoufMarty
October 10th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Exactly. They don't need a crutch, they can stand on their own two feet (or however many feet they have in total) without using clips shows as a safety net.

Sure, I can understand the need for the OCCASIONAL one just to bring new people up to date, but we don't need one or two every season! Give fans SOME credit for being able to remember things. :P
Well, I don't know about you, I forget things quite easily :P

But Stargate isn't one of them... Okay, I don't really remember stuff from season 7 lol. Who really does? Except for Sam/Jack shippers :P

ShadowMaat
October 10th, 2004, 08:09 AM
I may not remember EVERYTHING, but with a couple of hints I can remember enough. :)

I know clips shows are a budget-saving tactic. Doesn't mean I have to like it. ;) And they still come off as a crutch, unless the writers are particularly clever and innovative with it.

MartoufMarty
October 10th, 2004, 08:18 AM
I'd be willing to send in my lunch money if it will help them with their budget so we can have actual episodes and not clip episodes :P

David
October 10th, 2004, 08:20 AM
I'd be willing to send my lunch money too! I wouldn't even need an envelope!

heh... [tucks tail and scampers away]

keshou
October 10th, 2004, 08:20 AM
I just spoke with Bruce Woloshyn, Visual Effects Supervisor at Rainmaker, who says they are currently working on visual effects for SG-1's "Citizen Joe." Because of the number of effects, does not believe the episode will be a clip show. Though slightly premature, we can breathe a sigh of releif.

Bruce will also have a prominent cameo in the preview for this show.
Interesting in light of Joe Mallozzi's recent post over in the "Super Finale?" thread.

Looking over the last bunch of episodes - Reckoning I and II, Threads, Citizen Joe, Moebius I and II - any one of these would be a perfectly fitting end to Stargate: SG-1.

I was really surprised that he listed Citizen Joe as one of the "perfectly fitting end to Stargate" episodes since it was supposedly a clip show. So *not a clip show*. Hmmm. Still don't think the premise of the episode sounds all that exciting but maybe it will surprise me!

:D

MartoufMarty
October 10th, 2004, 08:23 AM
... I actually forgot that JM surfed around here lol.

*clears up bad language in posts*

ShadowMaat
October 10th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Oh, the comments I could make... :P

Citizen Joe could have all original material, but it still gives me a bad vibe. The whole idea of it is just so... so... STUPID (in my opinion) that I think I'd have a hard time taking it seriously.

Now, if you could have "Joe" remembering an alternate history and then tie it in with Moebius, that might be interesting, but I still don't see how that would work.

David
October 10th, 2004, 08:54 AM
I'm sure there's some kind of alien influence at work.

Major Fischer
October 10th, 2004, 10:05 AM
So it's not a clip show... that leaves an interesting question, because aside from the general storyline, we dont' really have that many spoilers relating to this episode.

ShadowMaat
October 10th, 2004, 11:18 AM
I'm sure there's some kind of alien influence at work.
On you? Yes, I'm sure. ;) It would explain a lot... :P

For the ep, yeah, there's gotta be some kind of alien connection, although if it's another victim of memory loss who's slowly beginning to remember... bleah. That's been used too many times, too.

Maybe it's the fifth member of the team and something went horribly wrong on a mission and altered the timeline and now he (and everyone) has a different past and a head full of memories of things that never happened... :D

Major Fischer
October 10th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Maybe it's the fifth member of the team and something went horribly wrong on a mission and altered the timeline and now he (and everyone) has a different past and a head full of memories of things that never happened... :D

Or even just a member of the SGC who's been lost in time.

David
October 10th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Something tells me it'll have connections to Moebius, all the same.

Ugly Pig
October 10th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I guess this means there will be no clip show this year?

Although I suppose given the plot of 'Citizen Joe' it would make sense to use some clips from previous episodes even if it's not an all-out clip show. Kind of like how 'Unnatural Selection' used a brief clip from 'Cold Lazarus', only more. Maybe.

MartoufMarty
October 10th, 2004, 03:16 PM
I think that is most possibly the last season, they don't really wanna waste an episode by making it a clip episode.

Ugly Pig
October 10th, 2004, 03:19 PM
I think that is most possibly the last season, they don't really wanna waste an episode by making it a clip episode.
I don't think they ever really want to make a clip show. Maybe they made a bigger effort to avoid having to do so this year? Or maybe we don't know what the heck we're talking about? :D

MartoufMarty
October 10th, 2004, 03:21 PM
I don't think they ever really want to make a clip show. Maybe they made a bigger effort to avoid having to do so this year? Or maybe we don't know what the heck we're talking about? :D
I'd go with 'we don't know what we're talking about'.

Makes more sense :P

Major Fischer
October 10th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Something tells me it'll have connections to Moebius, all the same.

That's sort of why I was thinking that maybe Joe was someone lost out of time...

David
October 10th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Inauguration:Revealing the blue computer disk from "Chain Reaction" was a stroke of genius. And it tied into Lost City. Don't be surprised if they do something as impressive.

ShadowMaat
October 10th, 2004, 03:31 PM
If it's just some random loser obsessing over Jack/SG-1 I'll be disappointed. But if the story is deeper- and weirder- than that, it could have some potential.

Ramne
October 10th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Oh, please, let it NOT be a clip show. if we are down to possibly the last 10 episodes of the series, I want full new episodes :D

Erik Bloodaxe
October 10th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Though slightly premature, we can breathe a sigh of releif.

Eh... I'm not sure if that's cause for breathing a sigh of relief yet; at least if it were a clip show, they'd have an excuse. :D Instead, if it's a full-out regular episode, it sounds pretty dumb on the level of Sight Unseen and Space Race. If there's clarification that it ties in some way into Moebius or the preview is actually pretty good, then I'll breathe a sigh of relief. ;)

-Bloodaxe

Ugly Pig
October 11th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Eh... I'm not sure if that's cause for breathing a sigh of relief yet; at least if it were a clip show, they'd have an excuse. :D Instead, if it's a full-out regular episode, it sounds pretty dumb on the level of Sight Unseen and Space Race.
I don't know. If JM said the episode could have worked as a series finale, I'm fairly confident that it's not a completely useless silly one.

Major Fischer
October 11th, 2004, 12:16 PM
I don't know. If JM said the episode could have worked as a series finale, I'm fairly confident that it's not a completely useless silly one.

That's what I was thinking as well...

the dancer of spaz
October 11th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Interestingly, clip shows often hold weight to directing the ever-changing winds of the show. In "Politics" Kinsey marched in and shut the program down. "Disclosure" was a major change for the world as a whole, and of course, "Inauguration" later turned out to be very important for the developments in "Lost City."

Good point, David! You know, the cool thing about THAT is, normally a clip show would have been completely unrelated to the general arc/plot of the show, however the writers totally made it work. Yay writers! :D

Ugly Pig
October 12th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Good point, David! You know, the cool thing about THAT is, normally a clip show would have been completely unrelated to the general arc/plot of the show, however the writers totally made it work. Yay writers! :D
Yep. For clip shows, SG-1 always had good ones. 'Politics', aside from the actual clips, was a darn good episode IMO.

auralan
October 12th, 2004, 08:45 AM
That's sort of why I was thinking that maybe Joe was someone lost out of time...

Oh man, now you have me thinking B5ish unstuck in time. Something about that phrase makes me roll my eyes at the melodrama.

Major Fischer
October 12th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Oh man, now you have me thinking B5ish unstuck in time. Something about that phrase makes me roll my eyes at the melodrama.

Well, JM did say that it made one of the producer's heads explode. I have to believe that just a two hour final couldn't do it. The pressure of the explosion must have been building from earlier episodes ;)

Major Fischer
October 12th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Has anyone else wondered if Citizen Joe might actually be... Ambassador Joe? That would explain why they've been cagey about the casting of the character...

kiwigater
October 12th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Has anyone else wondered if Citizen Joe might actually be... Ambassador Joe? That would explain why they've been cagey about the casting of the character...
intriguing..... Yes, it had occurred to me. I actually didn't have an problem with Ambassador Joe, I wouldn't mind seeing him again. But I do have a problem or two with it. First off, isn't he somewhere in the grasp of the Aschen?? How could he possibly show up in Jack's kitchen? and Jack would certainly recognise him, and he certainly didn't have a wife (don't some spoilers indicated Citizin Joe having a wife?). Second, with so few eps left in the series, he seems like an odd choice of a character to bring back. As there are more than a few tangled and confused relationships to sort out (Sam and Pete, and Jack, and Kerry.....) without bringing back Joe :S
*ponders* man, PTPB must be laughing their asses off watching us trying to sort this all out :P :D

David
October 12th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Though I have to admit that is a very cool possibility, I doubt it. Indications are that this Joe is a new face to the franchise.

Hopefully not too much like Vernon Sharpe...

Major Fischer
October 12th, 2004, 12:45 PM
My musing if it was Ambassador Joe is sort of tangental to my musing that Joe is actually someone who is either in the wrong timeline or the wrong time period and either doesn't know it or believes that he has just made up his memories.

Ugly Pig
October 12th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Indications are that this Joe is a new face to the franchise.
Maybe it's Kurt Russel! :D:D:D

David
October 12th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Kurt Russel? We'd definitely need a clip show!

greytop
October 12th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Indications are that this Joe is a new face to the franchise.
Maybe it is a new introduction to a new character who takes Jack's place on missions if they go to a S9. I think fans are wanting a fourth person in the team.

As to who the actor, playing Joe, is, I have no idea.

Ugly Pig
October 12th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Kurt Russel? We'd definitely need a clip show!
The clips could be from the movie. :D

ShadowMaat
October 12th, 2004, 02:42 PM
No, the trick is to have FAKE clips, like Buffy did with that Jonathan ep: opening credits all featured Jonathan saving the day instead of Buffy and the ep centered on HIS being the hero. So... have an ep with "flashbacks" to scenes we all know and love... but with the addition of a completely new character who was meant to have been there all along. :D

Dom't think they'll go that way with it either, but it sounds kinda nifty, don'tcha think?? ;)

Ugly Pig
October 12th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Dom't think they'll go that way with it either, but it sounds kinda nifty, don'tcha think?? ;)
You know... It does. Maybe it was him who put Daniel in the sarcophagus in 'Serpent's Lair'! :D

Major Fischer
October 12th, 2004, 02:49 PM
You know... It does. Maybe it was him who put Daniel in the sarcophagus in 'Serpent's Lair'! :D

Or mended his jacket while he was in it? ;) :p

Ugly Pig
October 12th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Or mended his jacket while he was in it? ;) :p
But... that would mean he'd have to be in there with him, and... I'm not gonna go there...

Major Fischer
October 12th, 2004, 02:56 PM
But... that would mean he'd have to be in there with him, and... I'm not gonna go there...

Now I did not imply that... :cool:

Ramne
October 12th, 2004, 08:12 PM
This thread just took a wrong turn... *flags it back on track* :D

the dancer of spaz
October 12th, 2004, 09:22 PM
intriguing..... Yes, it had occurred to me. I actually didn't have an problem with Ambassador Joe, I wouldn't mind seeing him again. But I do have a problem or two with it. First off, isn't he somewhere in the grasp of the Aschen?? How could he possibly show up in Jack's kitchen? and Jack would certainly recognise him, and he certainly didn't have a wife (don't some spoilers indicated Citizin Joe having a wife?). Second, with so few eps left in the series, he seems like an odd choice of a character to bring back. As there are more than a few tangled and confused relationships to sort out (Sam and Pete, and Jack, and Kerry.....) without bringing back Joe :S
*ponders* man, PTPB must be laughing their asses off watching us trying to sort this all out :P :D

I think they have their fun with bi-monthly. They totally get a kick out of our struggling. You can't blame them either, because we will ALWAYS take the bait. :P

Melyanna
October 12th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Actually, the casting sides for the part of Joe's wife had Dan Castellaneta listed as the actor cast to play Joe. I don't know why it hasn't been officially announced — those sides came out about a month ago.

...And yes, that would be the voice of Homer J. Simpson. ;)

Ugly Pig
October 13th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Actually, the casting sides for the part of Joe's wife had Dan Castellaneta listed as the actor cast to play Joe. I don't know why it hasn't been officially announced — those sides came out about a month ago.
Seriously? :eek:

Well, if true:

WOO HOO!!

Melyanna
October 13th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Seriously? :eek:

Well, if true:

WOO HOO!!

Yep, I'm quite serious. Someone at SDJ, I think, was claiming that, so I asked someone who I know has access to the sides, and she confirmed it.

And yeah, I'll second that. ;)

Ramne
October 13th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Haha, that's great. I hope it's true :)

michelleb
October 14th, 2004, 07:04 AM
maybe it'll be a crossover simpsons/stargate, and it's homer who found the wierd thingy...

i got the feeling joe is in fact joe mallozzi..i don't know why.

Darren
October 14th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Dan Castellaneta's name does appear in the casting sides, but it's not 100 percent clear yet that he's actually been cast in the role. It says that Lorraine is the wife of "Joe Spencer (Dan Castellaneta)". Occasionally a specific actor's name will be referenced as the type of person they are looking for (for example, I think John Goodman was referenced in the description of Mike in "Threads") -- they're just usually more clear about it.

We'll see if we can get some confirmation ... it would be a big Woo-Hoo!

Darren
October 14th, 2004, 10:07 AM
"Citizen Joe" looks like it will include some amount of footage from previous episodes -- whether or not they will be long enough and make up enough of the 44 minutes to call it a "clips show" remains to be seen. But the script does call out specific shots from past episodes ("The Serpent's Lair," "Lost City," etc.).

Ugly Pig
October 14th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Dan Castellaneta's name does appear in the casting sides, but it's not 100 percent clear yet that he's actually been cast in the role.
Rats. :(

It says that Lorraine is the wife of "Joe Spencer (Dan Castellaneta)". Occasionally a specific actor's name will be referenced as the type of person they are looking for (for example, I think John Goodman was referenced in the description of Mike in "Threads") -- they're just usually more clear about it.
Then again, Dan Castellaneta is not exactly all that well-known for his live-action performances, so IMO he wouldn't be a great name to use as an "example" for the kind of actor they'd want. I'm not reaching here, right? ...right?

We'll see if we can get some confirmation ... it would be a big Woo-Hoo!
Yep! Here's hoping...
"Citizen Joe" looks like it will include some amount of footage from previous episodes -- whether or not they will be long enough and make up enough of the 44 minutes to call it a "clips show" remains to be seen.
Interesting. And pretty much what I expected.

But the script does call out specific shots from past episodes ("The Serpent's Lair," "Lost City," etc.).
You've seen the script? :eek:

Kliggins
October 14th, 2004, 12:46 PM
I'd be willing to send my lunch money too! I wouldn't even need an envelope!

I guess I will be scampering away with you David. I don't mind the clip shows in the least and I am always capable of turning off the TV or changing the channel if I am not enjoying what I am seeing.

the dancer of spaz
October 14th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Who's Dan Castellanata? Is that the voice actor from the Simpsons?

Ugly Pig
October 14th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Who's Dan Castellanata? Is that the voice actor from the Simpsons?
Yep. The voice of Homer, Grampa, Krusty, Quimby, Sideshow Mel, Barney and Groundskeeper Willie among others.

Darren
October 14th, 2004, 02:30 PM
You've seen the script? :eek:
Just bits and pieces in the casting sides.

the dancer of spaz
October 14th, 2004, 05:57 PM
I love the irony of THAT situation. RDA and AT (and any other fans on the cast/crew) must be thrilled about that little connection. :P

ShadowMaat
October 14th, 2004, 06:28 PM
They're going to rewrite history so that Jonas never joined the team, aren't the? Between Citizen Joe and Moebius they really ARE going to find a way to make S6 nothing but a horrible false memory and Jonas a one time, blink-and-you-miss-him unmemorable character. I can see it now...

Major Fischer
October 14th, 2004, 06:32 PM
They're going to rewrite history so that Jonas never joined the team, aren't the? Between Citizen Joe and Moebius they really ARE going to find a way to make S6 nothing but a horrible false memory and Jonas a one time, blink-and-you-miss-him unmemorable character. I can see it now...

Shadow... ahmmm it'll be okay, really it will. *goes to find someone in case she gets dispondant.*

the dancer of spaz
October 14th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Shadow... ahmmm it'll be okay, really it will. *goes to find someone in case she gets dispondant.*

No, Shadow! Don't worry! They know that the loyalty to Jonas is strong. They know that we'll always remember him and would become bitter if they did such a horrible thing to him. :) Do not worry, Shadow. The Powers That Be aren't THAT cruel.

ShadowMaat
October 14th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Do not worry, Shadow. The Powers That Be aren't THAT cruel.
I wouldn't be so sure about that...

greytop
October 14th, 2004, 06:37 PM

...And yes, that would be the voice of Homer J. Simpson. ;)
It's official as far as GateWorld is concern. I saw the article on the homepage.

the dancer of spaz
October 14th, 2004, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't be so sure about that...

OK... Maybe they're a TAD bit cruel. :o

But just a bit, right? Nothing we can't handle!

Ramne
October 14th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Citizen Joe better throw a 'D'OH!' in that episode somewhere!

the dancer of spaz
October 14th, 2004, 07:49 PM

Definitely. :)

Liv
October 14th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Heh, absolutely. Jack has said it once or twice before, IIRC, so it's a bit of a wasted opportunity if he doesn't work it in there at least once. :D

VixyOwl (~~Ani)
October 14th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Well, clip show or no clip show, it sounds like a rehash of "Point of No Return" to me...

Here's hoping I'm wrong... :rolleyes:

Ugly Pig
October 15th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Okay - now that Dan Castellaneta is official, I shall repeat my
WOO HOO!!

:D:D:D

the dancer of spaz
October 15th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Okay - now that Dan Castellaneta is official, I shall repeat my
WOO HOO!!

:D:D:D

I second that! ;)

Teal'c
October 16th, 2004, 04:32 PM
I was just thinking. Joe tries to sell his stories... what if he was the source for the reporter in Secrets? :D

Ugly Pig
October 16th, 2004, 04:38 PM
I was just thinking. Joe tries to sell his stories... what if he was the source for the reporter in Secrets? :D
Ooh... I like your thinking. One less thread left hanging... :)