PDA

View Full Version : The city`s not built out of "bricks"...

stargate maniack
December 9th, 2007, 11:40 AM
when the drones were destroyin the city, the towers were crumbling...wtf???

Elite Anubis Guard
December 9th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Cos it was a cheap RepliRebels city?

Myles
December 9th, 2007, 11:49 AM
When things get blown up they crumble. Plus Atlantis was said not to be very sturdy, so I'd imagine a replicopy would be about the same.

jenks
December 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Concrete.

stargate maniack
December 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM
When things get blown up they crumble. Plus Atlantis was said not to be very sturdy, so I'd imagine a replicopy would be about the same.

if a ship explodes, it crumbles?..thats not true..

freyr's mother
December 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM
When something is blown up, things usually break apart at the weakest structural points, generally where welding or stuff like that has taken place.

kirmit
December 9th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I agree, Fake Atlantis should not of crumbled like that, it was just a cgi add on to make it look cooler even if it is totally dumb imo.

jenks
December 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I agree, Fake Atlantis should not of crumbled like that, it was just a cgi add on to make it look cooler even if it is totally dumb imo.

Why not?

g.o.d
December 9th, 2007, 12:02 PM
and next time, they will build a wooden Atlantis

stargate maniack
December 9th, 2007, 12:03 PM

lol...

ashman2
December 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I think it crumbled the way it should have. We do not know exactly how the towers are constructed, from the outside all we have seen is this shiny exterior, and we have not seen it close up. A ruler is perfectly flat and even, but when it snaps it often breaks into multiple peices (I know, God I must have broken about 20 during school, they made awesome catapults, anyway back on topic), and there is no clear indication why it broke at these particular positions. When the tower collapsed it would have collapsed at a slight angle which would, as has been said, have put specific amounts of stree on specific positions, thereby causing it to collapse the way that it did.

Teelie
December 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Then it can be razed to the ground and everyone will complain it shouldn't burn like that. :p

RedGuard
December 9th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Well, no one knows what a 3 million+ year old structure would be made out of and since its a replica, is it made out of the same material? Also factor in age, quality of material, exposure to salt, exposure to radiation, time it took to construct, the yield of the drones, what impact the drones have upon that material, the materials overall structure and ability to handle stress, etc...Seriously, it's a TV show, it's petty to be concerned with how something blows up. Put it this way, if you can make something remotely close to atlantis, then maybe you can talk.

stargate maniack
December 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I think it crumbled the way it should have. We do not know exactly how the towers are constructed, from the outside all we have seen is this shiny exterior, and we have not seen it close up. A ruler is perfectly flat and even, but when it snaps it often breaks into multiple peices (I know, God I must have broken about 20 during school, they made awesome catapults, anyway back on topic), and there is no clear indication why it broke at these particular positions. When the tower collapsed it would have collapsed at a slight angle which would, as has been said, have put specific amounts of stree on specific positions, thereby causing it to collapse the way that it did.

u cant really compare plastic and metal? O_o can u ?

anywayz...we should have seen "metal parts"...not "brick ruble"

RedGuard
December 9th, 2007, 12:15 PM

Jello, yes, J-E-L-L-O would solve this problem.:jack_new_anime07:

Jello wouldn't have that cool splintering effect though :mckay:

Konman72
December 9th, 2007, 12:15 PM
This is why I love scifi fans...

"I may not know what it was made out of, how old it was or what kind of damage it had sustained and I may not know what type of damage the weapons would cause, what they hit or pretty much anything else about what happened but it shouldn't have happened that way damn it!"

ashman2
December 9th, 2007, 12:17 PM

I meant more the smooth surface of it, but I take your point. But as was just said, it's a tv show, so does it really matter, how else would it have collapsed though, it falling like a Domino would have looked a little odd, and oddly reminiscent of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

jenks
December 9th, 2007, 12:19 PM

How do you know what Atlantis is made of?

freyr's mother
December 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM
How do you know what Atlantis is made of?

We dont. But we're sure as $#&^ that its not made out of stone. After all, the halls are superconductive. That points in the direction of naquadah, but we'll never really know for sure unless TPTB address the fact.

jenks
December 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM
We dont. But we're sure as $#&^ that its not made out of stone. After all, the halls are superconductive. That points in the direction of naquadah, but we'll never really know for sure unless TPTB address the fact.

Stone? No. Some sort of concrete? Almost certainly.

Mardius
December 9th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Atlantis still IS a ship, so id say no to come sort of concrete, my moneys on some Trinium-like alloy

stargate maniack
December 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM
y would they build the city out of some sort of concrete..just doesnt make any sense...so->NO

RedGuard
December 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Atlantis still IS a ship, so id say no to come sort of concrete, my moneys on some Trinium-like alloy

More likely some type of nanotube alloy. The Asgard still had carbon in their alloys.

freyr's mother
December 9th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Stone? No. Some sort of concrete? Almost certainly.

Concrete isnt superconductive. Also, keep in mind that Atlantis is also a spacecraft, and what have we seen as an essential component in all spacecraft? Naquadah.

jenks
December 9th, 2007, 12:38 PM
y would they build the city out of some sort of concrete..just doesnt make any sense...so->NO

Watch the episode, if not concrete, then some other similar, brittle material.

freyr's mother
December 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Watch the episode, if not concrete, then some other similar, brittle material.
No superadvanced race builds a cityship out of concrete. They would make it a durable strong material. Given they had the shield, you still cant build a spacecraft with out a strong outer hull.

jenks
December 9th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Concrete isnt superconductive.

So what? No one's saying the entire city is concrete, but some of it is, or a at least a material that's similar.

Also, keep in mind that Atlantis is also a spacecraft, and what have we seen as an essential component in all spacecraft? Naquadah.

False.

jenks
December 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM
No superadvanced race builds a cityship out of concrete. They would make it a durable strong material. Given they had the shield, you still cant build a spacecraft with out a strong outer hull.

All speculation. As McKay has made it clear, Atlantis is remarkably fragile.

freyr's mother
December 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM
So what? No one's saying the entire city is concrete, but some of it is, or a at least a material that's similar.

False.

Give me one example where a hyperspace capable vessel has not had naquadah as a key component in the stargate universe.

stargate maniack
December 9th, 2007, 12:49 PM
atlantis is hundreds of thousands of yearz old(spell check...whatever)...i doubt any type of concrete/bricks would have lasted that long...

jenks
December 9th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Give me one example where a hyperspace capable vessel has not had naquadah as a key component in the stargate universe.

Hive ship.

stargate maniack
December 9th, 2007, 12:55 PM
atlantis is the subject here...not what every ship is made of :P

SG-17
December 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I remember hearing somewhere, that there is no naquadah in Pegasus. Or atleast no naturally accuring. Maybe the outercoat of Atlantis is made of thin concrete or other similar substance that can be designed, and as we have seen the Ancients like fancy looking things.

stargate maniack
December 9th, 2007, 01:10 PM
but it wouldnt matter if its coating is made out of thin concrete or whatever...

Teelie
December 9th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Plus, Atlantis has shields and all kinds of enhancements to keep the place together during space or deep submersion traveling.

SG-17
December 9th, 2007, 01:17 PM
@stargate maniack
How would it not matter?

Mardius
December 9th, 2007, 02:29 PM

the upgraded Odyssey, the hull is i believe a trinium alloy and its power source is an asgard core, i believe no naquadah

PG15
December 9th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Do remember that it's the fake Atlantis that crumbled, not the real one.

DaCk
December 9th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Do remember that it's the fake Atlantis that crumbled, not the real one.

Exactly it was FAKE. Built by a handful of replicators. I doubt they had the time and resources to build an ACTUAL city ship. They built a FAKE nonfunctioning one. Thats why nothing worked there. For all we know they could have made some of the buildings out of cardboard. Ones that they knew the duplicate team wouldnt enter.

stargate maniack
December 9th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Exactly it was FAKE. Built by a handful of replicators. I doubt they had the time and resources to build an ACTUAL city ship. They built a FAKE nonfunctioning one. Thats why nothing worked there. For all we know they could have made some of the buildings out of cardboard. Ones that they knew the duplicate team wouldnt enter.

we dont know that...we even know the shield waz working, but unable to be powered-zpm issues...

Agent_Dark
December 9th, 2007, 11:52 PM
We built this city, we built this city on rock and roll
Built this city, we built this city on rock and roll

Mister Oragahn
December 10th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Yeah, you noticed that as well. It's full of concrete. Even after the probe has crashed. I thought the whole thing was made of metals.

avidffan
December 10th, 2007, 07:34 PM
whos to say that the concrete was concrete and not some engineered stone and when stone breaks down from high energy explosive self guided rounds it crumbles

weve never been told what atlantis is made of so all this talk is speculation

until the day we hear rodney mckay screaming through the gate comms
"ive found an ancient ship yard where we can make ships and zpms , now were laughing "

Fenrir Foxz
December 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM
We built this city, we built this city on rock and roll
Built this city, we built this city on rock and roll

LOL...
And because the city was built on rock and roll, It's enemies are 'on the highway to hell' I suppose?

prion
December 11th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Well, what should it do? Fall apart in segments? How a structure falls apart depends on variables such as materials, what destroys it, etc. On TV, they do what looks spectacular, and reality be damned ;)

However, I just loved in DOPPELGANGEr how when one of the Shep's missed his punch and hit the wall, he hit plaster ;)

Mister Oragahn
December 11th, 2007, 09:48 AM
whos to say that the concrete was concrete and not some engineered stone and when stone breaks down from high energy explosive self guided rounds it crumbles

weve never been told what atlantis is made of so all this talk is speculation

until the day we hear rodney mckay screaming through the gate comms
"ive found an ancient ship yard where we can make ships and zpms , now were laughing "

Oh yeah, you make a city that's supposed to fly, and so instead of using metal alloys, you use concrete. For a starship.

Makes absolute sense. :rolleyes:

jenks
December 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Oh yeah, you make a city that's supposed to fly, and so instead of using metal alloys, you use concrete. For a starship.

Makes absolute sense. :rolleyes:

No ones saying it's made entirely out of concrete, just some of it. We already know it's fragile, and considering as a space ship it's protected by a shield all of the time they could have made it out of wood if they wanted to.

Mister Oragahn
December 11th, 2007, 01:52 PM
No ones saying it's made entirely out of concrete, just some of it. We already know it's fragile, and considering as a space ship it's protected by a shield all of the time they could have made it out of wood if they wanted to.

There are things such as stress and structural integrity, coupled of engines thrust. If even using 20% of concrete in spaceships was good, I'd have done it since a while.
Looking at how much powder the destruction of a single tower generates, it looks it's been stock piling a legion of filled vacuum cleaner bags.

jenks
December 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM
There are things such as stress and structural integrity, coupled of engines thrust. If even using 20% of concrete in spaceships was good, I'd have done it since a while.
Looking at how much powder the destruction of a single tower generates, it looks it's been stock piling a legion of filled vacuum cleaner bags.

The inertial dampeners will sort that out.

Mister Oragahn
December 11th, 2007, 02:02 PM
The inertial dampeners will sort that out.

Of course, it's just much better to build your spaceship out of concrete for no reason whatsoever, and then paste on some technobabble, rather than go for the metal.

jenks
December 11th, 2007, 02:13 PM
What difference does it make?

air200d
December 11th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Agreed i think that it doesnt matter what its made of. However we do know that some of it is glass, and glass shaters so thats kinda like crumbling

Lord batchi ball
December 11th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I don't know about concrete, but to me it looks like cermatic. I know thats fragile but thats what it looks like.

Mister Oragahn
December 11th, 2007, 09:03 PM
What difference does it make?

Question: do we make our tanks, planes and boats out of metal, or concrete?

PG15
December 11th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Do they also have shields? :p

jenks
December 12th, 2007, 04:07 AM

Exactly.

Freekzilla
December 12th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Any Wraith vessel.

rarocks24
December 12th, 2007, 01:44 PM
atlantis is hundreds of thousands of yearz old(spell check...whatever)...i doubt any type of concrete/bricks would have lasted that long...

Atlantis is, for the time being, older than 3.2 million years.

A building would collapse like that regardless of what it's made of. There's no inconsistencies in the style of debris between when the tower collapsed and when Atlantis's control tower went kaboom.

If I were to guess, Atlantis's hull was a metalloid. Regardless of whatever its made out of, Atlantis, and any city-ship rather, is dependent on its shield 24/7 when in space and during atmospheric reentry.

To add, we have no idea what the towers are made out of...it's possible the towers and the city's base are made out of slightly different materials.

Mister Oragahn
December 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM

And?

jenks
December 12th, 2007, 03:50 PM
And?

Well what do you think? Our tanks are made from metal to protect them, Atlantis already has a shield so it needs no such protection. The Ancients could have made it out of glass if they wanted to.

Lord Gavran
December 12th, 2007, 05:31 PM
LOL you guys crack me up... Concrete or not, Have you thought of the opposite???

If the ship was made out of super conductive stuff or metal or whatevere...maybe the explosive yeald of the drones being fired is enough to make any structure crumble and fall with dust??? The heat generated could be enough to fry and do whatevere to the material in use??

I mean you have seen ships explode before (anubis's ship in season 7) where if you magnify, become a big geek and check and you will see some dust particles. So why cant it be the same for Atlantis?

Any structure will have dust if a large enough bomb,drone etc etc hits it... And in the end it looks better than a block falling off and doing nothing...

jenks
December 13th, 2007, 03:45 AM
LOL you guys crack me up... Concrete or not, Have you thought of the opposite???

If the ship was made out of super conductive stuff or metal or whatevere...maybe the explosive yeald of the drones being fired is enough to make any structure crumble and fall with dust??? The heat generated could be enough to fry and do whatevere to the material in use??

I mean you have seen ships explode before (anubis's ship in season 7) where if you magnify, become a big geek and check and you will see some dust particles. So why cant it be the same for Atlantis?

Any structure will have dust if a large enough bomb,drone etc etc hits it... And in the end it looks better than a block falling off and doing nothing...

Metal isn't brittle, it might be ripped apart, melted or vaporised, but it's not going to turn to dust...

Achaja
December 13th, 2007, 05:35 AM
I think this scene was the worst of all till now. This chaos wasn't convinving and it looks like poorly assembled part of episode...
Similar scene looks 100 times better in First Strike

Mister Oragahn
December 13th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Well what do you think? Our tanks are made from metal to protect them, Atlantis already has a shield so it needs no such protection. The Ancients could have made it out of glass if they wanted to.

They're also made of metal because it's not brittle and they are vehicles, meant to move.
Putting a blockhaus on rockets is stupid. You don't gain anything, and loose much in terms of energy for propulsion.

Mattathias2.0
December 13th, 2007, 07:02 PM
To be honest, we know nothing of what the ReplicaCity was made out of. It was built most likely to only appear like our Atlantis, and nothing more. If it was an built as a real Ancient City Ship, they could also be possibly detected.