This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about NON-SG-1 Movies?

Warner Brothers currently rotates their superhero movies annually to give cast & crews breather times, and they still get to release a superhero movie every year. So in the best case scenario SciFi can get together twice a year. How about movies involving other characters every year so we can get 1 Season of Atlantis, 2 SG-1 Movies, and another Stargate canon movie every year.

I think a Jonas movie would be nice. One that takes place around early 2007 that has Jonas forming an underground to combat the Ori.

Another interesting Movie could be a confrontation between Ford's team and the Asurans involving Wier. Something that doesn't add much to the War, but is an interesting one-off.

A Tok'ra or Tollan movie would also be interesting.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

I don't think so, though these other things are interesting, it's the SG-1 character that are the attraction to most fans IMO.

Comment

I've always liked the idea for a show to explore different aspects of it's own universe.

Star Trek for example is always on a specific ship, so do a Romulan movie, or Klingon movie, or Borg, or Section 31, something involving the 1701-B/C, Excelsior and the list can go on and on.

Stargate has that same potential, Asgard, Free Jaffa, Tollan, Tok'ra, a First Prime doing an attack for his master, Ford, Wraith, Ronan as a runner, Something involving an Ancient campaign during the war, Orii/Altera breakup. A Star Trek'ish type movie involving a 304.

I think that the Stargate universe has the potential to do a lot of great projects based on people other than SG1 or Sheppard's team. I love the idea, but unfortunately it's stuff like that which never happens.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
        I don't think so, though these other things are interesting, it's the SG-1 character that are the attraction to most fans IMO.
        Jonas was on SG-1, and the prime minister & his g/f could be characters too. And Wier + Ford + Aurans + Wraith would be pretty cool.
        sigpic
        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
        ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
          Jonas was on SG-1, and the prime minister & his g/f could be characters too. And Wier + Ford + Aurans + Wraith would be pretty cool.
          Jonas could I suppose but it'll never happen because TPTB like the pretend he never existed .

Comment

Jonas could I suppose but it'll never happen because TPTB like the pretend he never existed .
            I know, right? It was wierd that his world got a S9 reference, and that was it. It's not like it was especially amazing that the Ori took down Langara, they're primitive & un-unified even by Earth standards...
            sigpic
            ~David Hewlett

Comment

I know, right? It was wierd that his world got a S9 reference, and that was it. It's not like it was especially amazing that the Ori took down Langara, they're primitive & un-unified even by Earth standards...
              Yeah, his world. They didn't even mention him specifically.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Three movies a year is overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                  Three movies a year is overkill.
                  I don't see how, 3 movies still doesn't add upto a whole season, 3 actually seems better, one at the beginning, middle and end of the year.

Comment

I said it was overkill, I didn't say they can't do it. It's oversaturating the market, which they've already done. Also, what's the point in making an SG movie without SG-1 or Atlantis? How would you sell this concept to a nonfan? What's next, Batman movies without Batman?

Comment

I said it was overkill, I didn't say they can't do it. It's oversaturating the market, which they've already done. Also, what's the point in making an SG movie without SG-1 or Atlantis? How would you sell this concept to a nonfan? What's next, Batman movies without Batman?
                      But why is it overkill? Oversaturating the market? We'll be only getting 2 doses of SG-1 a year, how would 3 be oversaturating for SG-1 fans who will take as much SG-1 as they can now they don't get an entire season?

I agree about the second part of your post though.

Comment

Overkill as in oversaturation. Most film series only get one movie every few years. SG-1 is getting two movies in one year. That's a lot! I'll be surprised if we get a third movie in 2009.

They've had a hard enough time just trying to get these two movies finished. They should stick to just one or two movies a year. If it's not an SG-1 movie, I don't know why they'd bother.

Comment

Overkill as in oversaturation. Most film series only get one movie every few years. SG-1 is getting two movies in one year. That's a lot! I'll be surprised if we get a third movie in 2009.

They've had a hard enough time just trying to get these two movies finished. They should stick to just one or two movies a year. If it's not an SG-1 movie, I don't know why they'd bother.
                          As a big SG-1 fan I wouldn't call 2 movies a year alot, as I sure many others wouldn't, without new seasons I still want as much SG-1 as they'll give me.

IMO the reason these 2 have taken so long is because it's their first pop at movies, after these two the process should be more refined and easier to make more. It's only the CGI people taking so long, they could get the work for a movie done within 4 months, they just seem to be taking their time at the minute. You are right though, they shouldn't bother if they won't be SG-1 of Atlantis movies.

Comment

Warner Brothers currently rotates their superhero movies annually to give cast & crews breather times, and they still get to release a superhero movie every year. So in the best case scenario SciFi can get together twice a year. How about movies involving other characters every year so we can get 1 Season of Atlantis, 2 SG-1 Movies, and another Stargate canon movie every year.

I think a Jonas movie would be nice. One that takes place around early 2007 that has Jonas forming an underground to combat the Ori.

Another interesting Movie could be a confrontation between Ford's team and the Asurans involving Wier. Something that doesn't add much to the War, but is an interesting one-off.

A Tok'ra or Tollan movie would also be interesting.

well it worked for bsg with razor. i don't see anything wrong with stargate doing the same thing if they have a good story and a bit of spare cash.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

As a big SG-1 fan I wouldn't call 2 movies a year alot, as I sure many others wouldn't, without new seasons I still want as much SG-1 as they'll give me.
                              As someone who knows a lot about movie production, I can tell you that doing two movies (in the same continuity) in one year is a lot. Without new seasons? What about Atlantis? For the 2007-08 season, they effectively made 20 episodes of Atlantis plus two SG-1 movies. At 42 minutes per episode and rounding the movies off at 100 minutes each, that's 1,040 minutes or 17.3 hours of Stargate.

IMO the reason these 2 have taken so long is because it's their first pop at movies, after these two the process should be more refined and easier to make more. It's only the CGI people taking so long, they could get the work for a movie done within 4 months, they just seem to be taking their time at the minute. You are right though, they shouldn't bother if they won't be SG-1 of Atlantis movies.
                              It's not just the CGI people. It's post production. This includes special effects, music, the credits at the beginning and end of the movie, DVD menus, DVD special features, art work for the DVD case, and much more.

Comment

Working...
                              X