X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another piece of drek from SciFi...

* Well, that's my opinion ;*

Blech.

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Sci Fi Channel has ordered a pilot for "Run for Money," a reality competition that pits contestants against one another in the quest for cash prizes as they are stalked by "hunters."

Based on a successful Japanese format, "Run for Money" takes place over 60 minutes of real time in landmark locations. As the clock winds down, the competition gets harder as more hunters appear on the streets, the game perimeter gets smaller and tasks are assigned that test contestants' nerves.

Contestants earn money for every second they "stay alive" and may opt out of the competition. If they keep playing and are overrun by a hunter, they lose everything. The last person standing takes the prize.

Production on the pilot is set to begin next month in Los Angeles

The problem is... this kind of dreck probably WILL appeal to the young male audience who is into gaming. What's more fun than hunting someone down?

Not much choice with the writer strike going on and the amount of new comedy/drama eps dwindling to nothing (Heroes is done, soon my beloved 30 Rock will be next, argh). Expect lots of new reality shows, game shows, and documentary/educational shows to pop up everywhere until the strike is settled. I saw that NBC was even bringing back American Gladiators to fill the gap of new programming!

I'll check out the new show if only because it's based on a Japanese game show. I have a fondness for their insanity, from Most Extreme Elimination Challenge to Human Tetris!

Comment

Wow, television is just stooping to lower and lower levels.....Reality shows have absolutely no place on a SCI-FI channel. *sigh* I hope this strike settles soon.....

Comment

That's why we have Internet TV I suppose.
        Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
        --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
          Wow, television is just stooping to lower and lower levels.....Reality shows have absolutely no place on a SCI-FI channel. *sigh* I hope this strike settles soon.....
          Yeah, an agreement sure would be nice. And soon.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Sounds sorta like Battle Royale.
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
              Sounds sorta like Battle Royale.
              Unfortunately people won't die, which would probably be the only thing to make the show worth watching.

I do have to say that Scifi needs to hurry up and change it's name. I'm sure there are plenty of reality tv shows that could be created with a scifi theme if they actually put a few minutes of thought into it

However Skiffy are daft when it comes to stuff like that, however I wouldn't have been nice about it by saying drek.

sigpic

Comment

Nothing new or unexpected. The last strike spawned a slew of reality shows and started a trend that hasn't ended. Just means there will be less scripted shows in the future and it will be cheaper, less risky for the networks. The producers and creators of these reality shows are the ones that make out.

The SFC, as well as any other network/cable channel, has to come out with something new each season or to fill in time until the strike is over and production is back in track. Somebody is going to find a hit among the mess...the networks that do will milk it for all the ratings they can get. And if the show has staying power and/or viewers like what they see, the show will become part of the regular lineup/schedule. Those are just the facts, whether or not you like reality shows.

Plenty of pilots that have never been seen and shelved for one reason or another. The SFC can show a few to see what ratings they generate and can order the successful ones to series. With the strike going on, it would be a good way to show something new since it's already paid for and do some live research, like the old preview houses used to do to gauge acceptance of a concept or show and have the audience/viewers rate the show...the SFC already setup their websites for viewer interaction, so it's a natural/logical extension.
                It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

In general, NBC should just get rid of the SciFi Channel. Besides a few genre shows, they rarely show a variety of genre programming and have begun repeating everything to the point of nausea. Considering their library, one wonders why they have one of the worst programming schedules. Soon it will be as bad as G4.

Anyways, any network that shows Ripley's 5-days a week should be taken offline.
                  "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                  The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                    Not much choice with the writer strike going on and the amount of new comedy/drama eps dwindling to nothing (Heroes is done, soon my beloved 30 Rock will be next, argh). Expect lots of new reality shows, game shows, and documentary/educational shows to pop up everywhere until the strike is settled. I saw that NBC was even bringing back American Gladiators to fill the gap of new programming!

I'll check out the new show if only because it's based on a Japanese game show. I have a fondness for their insanity, from Most Extreme Elimination Challenge to Human Tetris!
                    now that i would watch lol. they really have some totally wacky stuff over there.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

That was pretty funny. But was it shown that fast or did they stretch out the 6 min into 30 min or an hour? That is one of the big problems with the primetime game shows - they are way too s - l - o - w. I know that's so they don't have to come up with much. But I'm sure that also loses viewers - even if I do watch a few minutes, I get bored quickly and move on. If they kept the action moving (like Jeopardy), I might stay on that channel longer.
                      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

LOL! Yes. I'm addicted to Ninja Warrior over on G4TV. And I used to watch MXC when it was on. Gotta love those Japanese.

I'll probably give this show a pass. It might be based on a Japanese game show, but if it ain't the real deal then meh.

Originally posted by TS
                        That was pretty funny. But was it shown that fast or did they stretch out the 6 min into 30 min or an hour? That is one of the big problems with the primetime game shows - they are way too s - l - o - w. I know that's so they don't have to come up with much. But I'm sure that also loses viewers - even if I do watch a few minutes, I get bored quickly and move on. If they kept the action moving (like Jeopardy), I might stay on that channel longer.
                        Too true! It's like get on with it already. I don't want to hear your stupid stories/dialogue blah blah blah. Just answer the bleeping question already! I don't watch any of those shows with any regularity. I flip by the channel and may stop and watch for a couple of minutes and then keep on flipping the channel.....
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                          LOL! Yes. I'm addicted to Ninja Warrior over on G4TV. And I used to watch MXC when it was on. Gotta love those Japanese.

I'll probably give this show a pass. It might be based on a Japanese game show, but if it ain't the real deal then meh.

Too true! It's like get on with it already. I don't want to hear your stupid stories/dialogue blah blah blah. Just answer the bleeping question already! I don't watch any of those shows with any regularity. I flip by the channel and may stop and watch for a couple of minutes and then keep on flipping the channel.....
                          Deal or no deal and who wants to be a millionaire are the worst culprits of that. I don't know how they are accross the pond but you should see them over here.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            Deal or no deal and who wants to be a millionaire are the worst culprits of that. I don't know how they are accross the pond but you should see them over here.
                            They are horrible. I had those two shows in mind as well as one or two others that do that. It's like just get on with it already.
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

I'm glad books still exist, only place to get "real" sci-fi these days.
                              Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                              Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Working...
                              X