PDA

View Full Version : The Ark Of Truth - Date and Price!

ussrelativity
December 5th, 2007, 09:13 AM
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Stargate-SG-1-Ark-Of-Truth/8555

Here we go now! March 11th it is!

I'm still hoping for news on Hi-Def Blu-ray.

---

You would think that with the currency exchange rate, that the prices would be closer together....

Fenrir Foxz
December 5th, 2007, 09:18 AM

---

You would think that with the currency exchange rate, that the prices would be closer together....

Thanks for putting that up...

Extras were not mentioned yet, but we do expect some to be present.

At $26.98 SRP in the USA, Lets hope so!

I wonder how much the release is going to be in the UK...
No doubt 17-20...

ussrelativity
December 5th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Well probably hear some news sooner or later, and hopefully a cover art shot early next year!

g.o.d
December 5th, 2007, 09:43 AM
you are lucky. Official distributor for MGM in the Czech Republic doesn't even know about AoT and Continuum. So these movies will hit shelves in my country in 2009 :rolleyes:

SaberBlade
December 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Damn. It looks like I was right about about the recommended Canadian price, but over shot the US price by a few dollars.

Nice to see that there is some form of confirmation for a March 11th release date. I think that it is a bit disappointing that there was no news about a Blu-Ray release, hopefully once they've finalized the DVD they'll at least talk about a HD release. It would suck so badly if people had to rely on TV for it.

Vala_M
December 5th, 2007, 11:21 AM
They've bumped it again? What ever happend to March 8?

And why was this movie delayed so much and still more? It was supposed to be released in fall 2007. It sounds like they are trying to milk every last penny out of it which makes me fear that there won't be any more Stargate movies.

Vala,

The_Carpenter
December 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM
They've bumped it again? What ever happend to March 8?

And why was this movie delayed so much and still more? It was supposed to be released in fall 2007. It sounds like they are trying to milk every last penny out of it which makes me fear that there won't be any more Stargate movies.

Vala,

Apparently its been held back in post production due to being heavy in visual effects.

Daniel Jackson
December 5th, 2007, 11:41 AM
$27 for a 97-minute movie? You've got to be kidding me. For a few more dollars, you can buy an SG-1 season set featuring 20-22 episodes, 42 minutes per episode. I will be renting this movie. If I like it, I'll buy it off e-bay for $10 or so dollars. I'm not paying $27 for any movie. :S

I'm a little dissapointed that it's only going to be 97 minutes (1 hour, 37 minutes) long. I was hoping it would be two hours. Still, SG-1's longest episode is "Children of the Gods" at about 90 minutes, so this movie will be the longest SG-1 adventure yet. The short length won't bother me if the setup is brief and they jump right into the story.

The_Carpenter
December 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
[COLOR="Blue"]$27 for a 97-minute movie? You've got to be kidding me. For a few more dollars, you can buy an SG-1 season set featuring 20-22 episodes, 42 minutes per episode. I will be renting this movie. If I like it, I'll buy it off e-bay for $10 or so dollars. I'm not paying $27 for any movie. :S

Your lucky you don't live in the UK we pay about 15 for a dvd movie, which is about 30 dollars US!

They don't call it rip-off Britain for nothing :(

SaberBlade
December 5th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Your lucky you don't live in the UK we pay about 15 for a dvd movie, which is about 30 dollars US!

They don't call it rip-off Britain for nothing :(

You can blame the 17.5% tax for that.

Truth be told, for a 97 minute move, I'd not be willing to pay full price for it right away unless there was some extra motivation (preorder bonus or something). Like Daniel Jackson, I too would have prefered and hoped for two hours. While 97 minutes is still better than the usual 84-87 minutes that two parters are, it's not that great a difference.

ha'tak_
December 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
you are lucky. Official distributor for MGM in the Czech Republic doesn't even know about AoT and Continuum. So these movies will hit shelves in my country in 2009 :rolleyes:

same her in iceland we dont have sga season 2and3 and sg1 season 10 so i thing it will be some time when aot will arrive,i just send mom and dad to the usa to buy it ther for cheper price

Daniel Jackson
December 5th, 2007, 12:54 PM
To be fair, my favorite Star Trek movie based on TNG is 103 minutes, just six minutes longer than The Ark of Truth is going to be. Star Trek: Insurrection had plenty of time to tell it's story in 103 minutes. In hindsight, 97 minutes isn't that bad. :)

SaberBlade
December 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
My fave Trek movie was 106 minutes, and in the great grand scheme of things it's not the length of time but what they do with it.

But when you consider that 97 by default is a short amount of time, when you take out the time for credits then 97 can easily turn into 87, or less even less so it turns into a normal lengthed two parter if you don't count credit time.

Daniel Jackson
December 5th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Interesting...

Stargate (130 Minutes) Director's Cut
The Ark of Truth (97 Minutes)
SG-1 "Children of the Gods" (90 Minutes)
SG-1 "Lost City" (84 Minutes)
SG-1 "Threads" (63 Minutes)
Standard SG-1 Episode (42 Minutes)

Jumper_One
December 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Interesting...

Stargate (130 Minutes) Director's Cut
The Ark of Truth (97 Minutes)
SG-1 "Children of the Gods" (90 Minutes)
SG-1 "Lost City" (84 Minutes)
SG-1 "Threads" (63 Minutes)
Standard SG-1 Episode (42 Minutes)

so what are you saying?

I think it's cool that CotG was longer than 84 mins, same for Threads (21 mins longer) :)

sueKay
December 5th, 2007, 03:09 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/marcm1978/SGAbanner.jpg

David's thinking "Must...keep...eyes...open..."
Joe's thinking "I hope they get that damn camera out of my face"
Amanda's think "10 years and they still can't get cast photos to look decent"
Rachel's thinking "Turn off the frakking wind machine already!!!!"
Jason's thinking "Ooooh...what's over there?"

Sorry...they all look bored and Jason just looks like he's staring off into space :D

Amalthea
December 5th, 2007, 06:34 PM

---

YAY! It said CANADA TOO! Maybe Canadian retailers won't be jerks and will adapt to the new dollar.

the fifth man
December 5th, 2007, 09:07 PM
At least now I have an official date to look forward to.:) $27 or not, I'll pay for it. I'm sure we'll get a decent amount of special features.

ussrelativity
December 5th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I usually get my stuff from Amazon anyway. I'd end up spending $20-22 perhaps.

Zed.P.M.
December 6th, 2007, 12:23 AM
You could always buy the DVD from Amazon.com instead of Amazon.ca. That way, you would only pay 27 in US Dollars (which is like 27 or 28 Canadian Dollars anyway).

g.o.d
December 6th, 2007, 01:27 AM
same her in iceland we dont have sga season 2and3 and sg1 season 10 so i thing it will be some time when aot will arrive,i just send mom and dad to the usa to buy it ther for cheper price

well, I will download it and order it on amazon. I don't want to wait so long. Fortunately I don't need to have czech subtitles

paulschapman
December 6th, 2007, 01:58 AM
And no UK Date Yet :mckay: :( :mckay: :( :mckay:

Major_Griff
December 6th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Yeah $27 is a bit steep, but I'll probably go to Best Buy the day it comes out since they usually have a discount on new releases, or I'll get it from amazon since their prices are usually lower than retail. But you know what... Its Stargate and I'll pay the $27 if I have to.

Vala_M
December 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Regardless of cost, we all better be buying it immediately if we want MORE than just 2 Stargate movies.

I agree, 97 minutes is a joke, this is supposed to be a movie.

Vala,

jenks
December 6th, 2007, 09:54 AM
97 minutes isn't even that short for a movie, I don't know people are making a big deal out of it. Last film I watched was Eastern Promises and that was 96 minutes, 'Awake' which is number 5 at the box office is only 84 minutes long, so there's no need to panic...

sgaaddict
December 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM
what about the french (France) release date?

jenks
December 6th, 2007, 10:03 AM
No idea, we haven't even got the UK one yet.

umopapisdn
December 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I don't think I've seen a UK price yet, does anybody know 1?

Landers
December 6th, 2007, 11:10 AM
$27 for 90 minutes? For a direct-to-DVD telemovie? What a bunch of bull! I love this show, but that's a rip off.

Vala_M
December 6th, 2007, 12:32 PM
97 minutes isn't even that short for a movie, I don't know people are making a big deal out of it. Last film I watched was Eastern Promises and that was 96 minutes, 'Awake' which is number 5 at the box office is only 84 minutes long, so there's no need to panic...

But it's a direct to DVD movie, not even a feature movie that would be in theaters, but I'm glad it's not in theatres or they would have to broaden it's stories to appeal to the average movie goer and not just the fans.

I hope Continuum is at least longer, not that I except much from something that sounds like Moebius Pt. 3.

Vala,

Beckmen
December 6th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Neither of those movies are SciFi epics that are supposed to wrap up a 2-season arc, though. If you add it all up, this movie is only about 10 minutes longer than a normal two-parter. Even Serenity was 119 minutes, which IMO is a little short for another SciFi epic tying up some major arcs...but that's got AOT beat by 18 whole minutes. IMO 97 minutes is too freaking short!

Think of it this way: Shouldn't the event that ends the Ori arc be as long as the one that started it? Avalon/Origin runs about 123 minutes when you edit all three episodes into one movie. I really wanted something similar in length. Something that will allow for a nice build-up, plenty of story, and then a nice denouement. Something SG-1 seemed to stop doing, a nice denouement. I don't expect one in AOT now, though. I expect it'll end as abruptly as most episodes do. The length is going to make it feel like a two-parter, and not like a bona fide film.

The 27-dollar MSRP is to be expected. Most movies have that same price. It'll be around 20 bucks pretty much everywhere you look when it's released. Look at BSG: Razor, same price, I believe.

jenks
December 6th, 2007, 01:16 PM
But it's a direct to DVD movie, not even a feature movie that would be in theaters, but I'm glad it's not in theatres or they would have to broaden it's stories to appeal to the average movie goer and not just the fans.

Not sure what difference that makes, DVD movies are usually shorter than big budget ones.

Neither of those movies are SciFi epics that are supposed to wrap up a 2-season arc, though.

Neither is AoT, it's a low budget DVD movie.

If you add it all up, this movie is only about 10 minutes longer than a normal two-parter. Even Serenity was 119 minutes, which IMO is a little short for another SciFi epic tying up some major arcs...but that's got AOT beat by 18 whole minutes.

The story lasts 97 minutes, that's the way it is, would you rather they added filler scenes just for the sake of it? I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Think of it this way: Shouldn't the event that ends the Ori arc be as long as the one that started it?

It's irrelevant.

Avalon/Origin runs about 123 minutes when you edit all three episodes into one movie. I really wanted something similar in length. Something that will allow for a nice build-up, plenty of story, and then a nice denouement. Something SG-1 seemed to stop doing, a nice denouement. I don't expect one in AOT now, though. I expect it'll end as abruptly as most episodes do. The length is going to make it feel like a two-parter, and not like a bona fide film.

Even when plenty of big budget films are even shorter?

The 27-dollar MSRP is to be expected. Most movies have that same price. It'll be around 20 bucks pretty much everywhere you look when it's released. Look at BSG: Razor, same price, I believe.

A movie which lasted 88 minutes I might add.

SaberBlade
December 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Razor wasn't 88 minutes, it was 105 I think as its longer on dvd than when aired on tv.

I must admit though, that something like Avalon and Origin's combined run length would have been great. I would have loved something at least two hours

strider6
December 6th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Most movies that retail around $27 will end up selling for $16-$20. It's pretty similar for all new releases. Just shop around when it comes out.

Beckmen
December 6th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Yeah, you can usually find a good price on new releases, but I am using Razor as an example and that seemed to average out at about 20 bucks, it was 19.96 at WM. So I assume AOT will be the same, although it could very well be lower. I really doubt it'll be much more, though. If you can't find it for under 20 bucks you're probably not looking hard enough.

the fifth man
December 6th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Personally, I don't think that 97 minutes is too bad either. It's as long as quite a few movies.

paulschapman
December 7th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Regardless of cost, we all better be buying it immediately if we want MORE than just 2 Stargate movies.

I agree, 97 minutes is a joke, this is supposed to be a movie.

Vala,

Even though it is a Direct to DVD movie it will be bought by TV companies for showing on channels. A standard hour long drama is between 40-44 minutes long to fit in with the 16 minutes or so of advertising.

If AOT is 97 minutes long that gives 23 minutes of advertising on a two hour slot or 11.5 minutes each hour. This effects how much advertising and hence the amount they make back.

For the same reason many films are also around 90 minutes. The other week I watched a comedy which came in at a miserly 80minutes.

If the story can be told in 97 minutes then so be it.

burntoffering7
December 7th, 2007, 07:55 AM
$27 is the SUGGESTED retail price, as almost all DVD's are suggested around this price, you will find it in any store for like 19.99, or online for atleast 15. amazon.com sells everything brand new for half price so buy it online. you guys get scared over the smallest details. JEEZ!!

Daniel Jackson
December 7th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Even though it is a Direct to DVD movie it will be bought by TV companies for showing on channels. A standard hour long drama is between 40-44 minutes long to fit in with the 16 minutes or so of advertising.

If AOT is 97 minutes long that gives 23 minutes of advertising on a two hour slot or 11.5 minutes each hour. This effects how much advertising and hence the amount they make back.

For the same reason many films are also around 90 minutes. The other week I watched a comedy which came in at a miserly 80minutes.

If the story can be told in 97 minutes then so be it.
If it's going to be shown on TV, it will be editted down from 97 to 84 minutes (42 minutes per hour) since the standard is currently 42 minutes of programming with 18 minutes of advertising per hour.

Vala_M
December 7th, 2007, 09:58 AM
If it's going to be shown on TV, it will be editted down from 97 to 84 minutes (42 minutes per hour) since the standard is currently 42 minutes of programming with 18 minutes of advertising per hour.

Or they could bump to to a 2.5 hour movie and add in extra commericals, not that I'm in favor of more commercials, I pesonally just mute every commercial that comes on, I just don't want to see the movie edited. And I hope that it never airs on TV as those stupid scifi idiots didn't pay one penny towards the making of either movie.

Vala,

Beckmen
December 7th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Or they could have written and shot it without trying to fit it into a TV timeslot. It's supposed to be a movie.

I originally gussed it would be 87 minutes long, so I guess I am glad that it's longer than I had inititially theorized.

Major_Griff
December 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I think that's why they went straight to DVD as opposed to Scifi original, to avoid worrying about TV times.

kirmit
December 7th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Price to me doesn't matter, it's SG-1, I'd likely buy it no matter the price lol. It does worry me how they've said region 1 release date is March 11th, this makes it sound asif we'll be getting different release dates. Now some people won't be willing to wait for the release in their country and resort to other means, which will effect DVD sales and put future movies in danger. If they want this movie and future movies to be successful they'll need to aim for a worldwide release, it ensures the biggest success.

Vala_M
December 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Price to me doesn't matter, it's SG-1, I'd likely buy it no matter the price lol. It does worry me how they've said region 1 release date is March 11th, this makes it sound asif we'll be getting different release dates. Now some people won't be willing to wait for the release in their country and resort to other means, which will effect DVD sales and put future movies in danger. If they want this movie and future movies to be successful they'll need to aim for a worldwide release, it ensures the biggest success.

I have always wondered, WHY don't they release it at the same time everywhere? That hurts sales are people are not going to wait and it strains peoples ideas of other countries.

Vala,

Ugly Pig
December 7th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I have always wondered, WHY don't they release it at the same time everywhere?

Who says they won't?

HenryHayes
December 7th, 2007, 02:07 PM
$27 for a 97-minute movie? You've got to be kidding me. For a few more dollars, you can buy an SG-1 season set featuring 20-22 episodes, 42 minutes per episode. I will be renting this movie. If I like it, I'll buy it off e-bay for $10 or so dollars. I'm not paying $27 for any movie. :S

I'm a little dissapointed that it's only going to be 97 minutes (1 hour, 37 minutes) long. I was hoping it would be two hours. Still, SG-1's longest episode is "Children of the Gods" at about 90 minutes, so this movie will be the longest SG-1 adventure yet. The short length won't bother me if the setup is brief and they jump right into the story.

Be sure to get it the first day / week of release when it will more then likely be on sale for 13 bucks or around there

griffindorgirl
December 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM
The $27.00 price is the normal price. Many places put new releases on sale. My local suncoast video store put the box set of SG-1 on sale for $250 when it came out. Suncoast and FYE have a savings card that gives you an extra 10% off of your every purchase. I am going to reserve my copy tomorrow. :daniel:

the fifth man
December 7th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I'll definitely be pre-ordering AOT as soon as it is on Amazon.com.

Jumper_One
December 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM

same here :)

the fifth man
December 7th, 2007, 05:29 PM
same here :)

Their prices are usually pretty good.

morrismike
December 7th, 2007, 07:32 PM
What is the price breakdown dvd, hi def, bluray etc.?

Beckmen
December 7th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I usually get stuff AFTER the release date from Amazon, especially when they decide (not sure if this is perminent, or what) not to even SHIP it until the release date. I will probably buy it from Wal-Mart and spend the extra few bucks. Usually the same price as online, actually...and tax is cheaper than shipping unless you have other items in your order or buy from a place that offers free shipping.

kirmit
December 8th, 2007, 01:44 AM

I won't..............I'll be getting it from Amazon.co.uk :P.

Stargater34
December 8th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Thats definitely the best way to go.

Fenrir Foxz
December 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Same here...

Mandysg1
December 8th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I sure as He** won't be spending $43 (Can, tax included) for a movie :mckay:

the fifth man
December 8th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Thats definitely the best way to go.

I certainly think so.

Suebsg9
December 8th, 2007, 08:50 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-Ark-Truth-Ben-Bowder/dp/B0010YSD7M

Pre order Ark of Truth.

Price is 18.99

Squee!!!

Beckmen
December 9th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Tempting to pre-order that...very tempting. Gotta resist. Need to get it on the day and not have to worry about Amazon not shipping it out in time.

fammann
December 9th, 2007, 06:20 AM
I don't understand why everybody is so upset about the length being too short. 97mins is a very good lenght for a movie if its longer it will drag and quickly get boring. I love the series but sometimes I didn't like how the draged an arc over an entire season. I'd rather have the arc compressed in one 97min movie and then have some standealone movies.

The price is now down to 18.99$ at amazon.com and it will definitly go down even more until march 11th.

And one last thing if everybody rents it or downloads it from the internet ther will most likely be no more movies.

I'm looking very much forward to this.

morjana
December 9th, 2007, 06:52 AM
When I pre-ordered my copy of AoT (Sat. night at 10pm), it was:

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #5,056 in DVD

The NEW Amazon.com Sales Rank: #622 in DVD!!!!!!!!!

Wow!

:)

Morjana

Gatorade
December 9th, 2007, 07:37 AM
The price is now down to 18.99$ at amazon.com and it will definitly go down even more until march 11th...

Amazon.com

Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and release date, you'll receive the lowest price.

No need to worry about the price.

Calhoun
December 9th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Amazon.co.uk is now listing "Ark of Truth".

No price yet, but under "region", it says "All Regions"!

Is this just a placeholder until Amazon gets more details, or could the movie be "region 0"?! It would make an international release easier if it is!

SaberBlade
December 9th, 2007, 10:29 AM
It's probably a placeholder. The only time you ever see R0 dvd's if they've come from somewhere in Asia. I seriously doubt they'd release it with no region.

kirmit
December 9th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I notice on Amazon.co.uk they also have the release fate as March 11th for the UK, I really hope it's true.

the fifth man
December 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I just pre-ordered my copy earlier today. Yet again, Amazon.com came out with a decent price. And I love their price guarantee they have for pre-ordering.:)

Konrad9
December 9th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Christ.
Why is everyone so surprised at the price?
EVERY MOVIE you buy has an MSRP of $29.99 or higher, but gosh golly go figure they usually sell for $17-$20.

It absolutely boggles my mind that you people were up in arms and are AMAZED that Amazon is selling to for $18.99.

Konrad9
December 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM
It's probably a placeholder. The only time you ever see R0 dvd's if they've come from somewhere in Asia. I seriously doubt they'd release it with no region.

Or if you buy an HD-DVD, which is 100% region free.

Stargater34
December 9th, 2007, 06:12 PM
When I pre-ordered my copy of AoT (Sat. night at 10pm), it was:

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #5,056 in DVD

The NEW Amazon.com Sales Rank: #622 in DVD!!!!!!!!!

Wow!

Morjana
Thats a good sign.:)

SaberBlade
December 9th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Or if you buy an HD-DVD, which is 100% region free.

But that's a different situation entirely. Even Blu-Ray's by a few studios are region free. Region free media is the new thing, as even games are doing it. It helps stop a lot of bootlegging and reasons for getting copies. Imports are cheaper.

paulschapman
December 10th, 2007, 05:27 AM

There is a placeholder page on Amazon.uk and you can request that they email you as soon as it is available see Amazon.co.uk - Stargate: Ark of Truth (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stargate-Ark-Truth-Ben-Bowder/dp/B0010YSD7M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1197296482&sr=8-6)

ussrelativity
December 10th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Hopefully we will have news later on regarding a Blu-ray release. If so, I hope it will have a lossless track in addition to the standard 5.1 Dolby Digital track.

heroesfan
December 10th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Really:thoranime09:??!!Ill got to go tell my brother

MattZat
December 10th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I happen to think the length of this movie is just perfect. Someone earlier noted that If you take Avalon 1 and 2, and Origin and combine them, its 126 minutes, but unlike those three, we don't need backstory here. The backstory for these movies is the 40 episodes that preceded it. Think of the end of Dominion (or Unending if you wish) and imagine they get home, and then they find out about the Ark of Truth, and go off to find it, thats how the movie will likely begin. But instead of a 42 minute adventure to find it, you have a 97 minute adventure, so ultimately, thats twice as much time to explore the moral issues, develop and tie up loose ends of character relationships, and bring closure to the storyline. I believe it was Joe Mallozzi on his blog who even suggested that the movie might now 100% end the Ori storyline in a tidy neat little package where the Ori are all dead, no one believes in them, and all is right in both galaxies, without any leftover issues, which would suit me just fine, because i'd rather see a logical, enjoyable resolution to much of what was laid out in Seasons 9 and 10, and i'm personally counting down the days until March 11th.

Beckmen
December 10th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Discovering the existance of the Ark of Truth, finding it, and then using is sound like a multi-episode arc to me. Take The Lost City, a very briskly-paced two-parter. This will probably be a lot like that, including the breakneck speed. I think even the writers acknowledged that TLC had to be compressed down.

I might be alone here, but filler is good. Nice little character scenes that don't have anything to do with the plot...I like those.

the fifth man
December 10th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Discovering the existance of the Ark of Truth, finding it, and then using is sound like a multi-episode arc to me. Take The Lost City, a very briskly-paced two-parter. This will probably be a lot like that, including the breakneck speed. I think even the writers acknowledged that TLC had to be compressed down.

I might be alone here, but filler is good. Nice little character scenes that don't have anything to do with the plot...I like those.

Some filler is definitely a good thing. In moderation.;) And hopefully, we'll still get a few of those scenes in these two movies.

flynn1959
December 12th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Has anyone else had trouble pre-ordering this? I have tried several times and the site just blanks on me.:(

the fifth man
December 12th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Has anyone else had trouble pre-ordering this? I have tried several times and the site just blanks on me.:(

What site are you talking about? Amazon.com?

Beckmen
December 13th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Stargate SG-1: The Road Taken: Prelude to The Ark of Truth" is a featurette which reportedly will examine the ending of the 10-season-long series and the decision to wrap up the ongoing Ori storyline, among other plot threads, in this made-for-DVD feature. There MAY additionally be a look in this at the second Direct-to-DVD production, Continuum, planned for release later in 2008, but that's not confirmed yet.

From TVShowsonDVD. Hopefully the DVD will have more than that, though. I expect it will. MGM has been good when it came to extra features for the series since season 4, so I expect them to really step up here and give us a lot of features for this movie to up the value. Commentary, the 'Mythology' doc that was to introduce non-fans to the universe, various BTS stuff, deleted scenes, etc. Hopefully...

Mattathias2.0
December 13th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I pre-ordered mine a while ago. Great price on Amazon.com!

Suebsg9
December 13th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Stargate SG-1 - Extras Revealed For Ark of Truth Direct-to-DVD Feature!

Battle the Ori on March 11th

Posted by David Lambert
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/blackpixel.gif12/13/2007
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/blackpixel.gifLast week our friends in the home video retail industry gave us the info (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Stargate-SG-1-Ark-Of-Truth/8555) that the upcoming Direct-to-DVD release of Stargate SG-1 - The Ark of Truth is officially confirmed for a March 11th release date, and other info besides. This morning our same friends (thank you, as always!) told us that MGM and distributor Fox Home Entertainment has now revealed an extra that will be included on this DVD.

"Stargate SG-1: The Road Taken: Prelude to The Ark of Truth" is a featurette which reportedly will examine the ending of the 10-season-long series and the decision to wrap up the ongoing Ori storyline, among other plot threads, in this made-for-DVD feature. There MAY additionally be a look in this at the second Direct-to-DVD production, Continuum, planned for release later in 2008, but that's not confirmed yet.

That's all the info they had about it so far, and they don't have cover art yet, either. But stay tuned, and we'll bring that to you just as soon as we can!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Stargate-SG-1-Ark-of-Truth/8605 (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Stargate-SG-1-Ark-of-Truth/8605)

the fifth man
December 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM
That should be a great featurette to watch. Can't wait for that, and hopefully, a little preview of Continuum.:)

Fenrir Foxz
December 13th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Cool can't wait to see that feature... and hopefully a trailer or something on 'Continuum'

Konrad9
December 13th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Cool can't wait to see that feature... and hopefully a trailer or something on 'Continuum'

Man... if I were them I'd mention Continuum every time I released something on AoT.
And then, I'd put in a wallpaper of the gateroom with "Stargate SG1: Continuum, coming soon!" plastered on top.
And that would be it.

(And then you would all kill me)

Fenrir Foxz
December 14th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Man... if I were them I'd mention Continuum every time I released something on AoT.
And then, I'd put in a wallpaper of the gateroom with "Stargate SG1: Continuum, coming soon!" plastered on top.
And that would be it.

(And then you would all kill me)

LoL...

Daniel Jackson
December 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM
The title is simply STARGATE: CONTINUUM. SG-1 is the name of the show, so it won't be part of the movie's title. ;) SG-1 movies will simply be Stargate: (insert subtitle)

the fifth man
December 14th, 2007, 07:33 PM
The title is simply STARGATE: CONTINUUM. SG-1 is the name of the show, so it won't be part of the movie's title. ;) SG-1 movies will simply be Stargate: (insert subtitle)

And I for one am hoping for lots of them.:)

Jeff O'Connor
December 15th, 2007, 03:46 AM
That makes two of us. :cool:

Fenrir Foxz
December 15th, 2007, 04:17 AM
I'll third that!!!!

the fifth man
December 15th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I'm sure most of us want these movies to be successful. It would be great for the future of SG-1, and the future of Stargate in general.

DigiFluid
December 20th, 2007, 02:34 PM
What the hell! That's highway robbery! Not even big-budget theatrical films retail for that much!

How on Earth do they expect to make enough to finance future films if they're going to overcharge for the first one?! And why in god's name is it $11 more in Canada than the US when the Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar?

Ugh. Feel free to add your gripes too, I just needed a place to angrily vent.

Franklyn Blaze
December 20th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I always thought things cost more in Canada because of the exchange rate. But now it makes no sense what so ever. Do they have high tariffs in imported stuff?
$38 is a lot for any single movie! I'll wait and get it second or third hand, I'm in no rush.

Verona
December 20th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of overpricing something that happens to so many things in the UK, This price does not seem that much from my side of the pond where you pay 15-20 pounds for most movies even more for HD or blu ray

Ripple in Space
December 20th, 2007, 02:56 PM
What the hell! That's highway robbery! Not even big-budget theatrical films retail for that much!

How on Earth do they expect to make enough to finance future films if they're going to overcharge for the first one?! And why in god's name is it $11 more in Canada than the US when the Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar?

I guess Bridge Studios doesn't want to be our next target for our War on Terror, so their keeping their prices reasonable :P

Trek_Girl42
December 21st, 2007, 02:49 AM

I absolutely agree- I looked at that price and felt disgusted. That's nearly as much as a season box set! I paid $22 for Razor, and that is, I think an appropriate price for a television movie (still a couple dollars more than in the US though). Not $37. Especially when it seems there are so few bonus features on the SINGLE disc set. I've bought most of my SG-1 season sets at much cheaper than that. If I plan a trip to the states this spring, I might just wait to buy the movie then, because this is beyond acceptable. I've waited this long, what are a few more weeks? I don't have $37 for a SINGLE DISC movie, so unless Canadian retails offer a really good discount price..... It's appalling. :mad: Unfortunately shipping to Canada from the US doesn't make much sense for this, since it would cost the shipping plus border taxes would come pretty close to negating the savings. :(

The thing is, this just puts a damper on the release for me and makes me not so excited for it. :(

Beckmen
December 21st, 2007, 03:18 AM
(posted this in the wrong thread yesterday, hah)

DVDActive is report the disc will include the following extras...

Extras will include an audio commentary with Writer, Director and Producer Robert C. Cooper, Actor Christopher Judge and Director of Photography, Peter Woeste, Stargate SG-1: The Road Taken: Prelude to The Ark of Truth featurette, an Ark of Truth: Stargate at Comic-Con featurette, and an Uncovering The Ark of Truth featurette

Both GW and TVShowsOnDVD are only showing the first featurette, though. Hopefully the press release is somehow incomplete and we get a little more extras. This is MGM/Fox's chance to really step up and give us a feature-packed DVD...

jenks
December 21st, 2007, 08:20 AM
There isn't a chance in hell it will cost $37 in Canada, use your heads.

Not that that's that much anyway, I don't know what you're all complaining so much about...

Franklyn Blaze
December 21st, 2007, 10:56 AM
Amazon.ca (http://www.amazon.ca/Stargate-Ark-of-Truth/dp/B00114UUUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1198266860&sr=8-1)

It is 37.98 but Amazon are cutting the price down quite a bit I guess they are evening it up with the exchange rate.

Trek_Girl42
December 21st, 2007, 01:11 PM
Amazon.ca (http://www.amazon.ca/Stargate-Ark-of-Truth/dp/B00114UUUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1198266860&sr=8-1)

It is 37.98 but Amazon are cutting the price down quite a bit I guess they are evening it up with the exchange rate.
An improvement, but still.....that's a lot for a 97 minute tv movie and still not on par with the exchange rate. :S

I can't expect perfect equal pricing, but I expect something better than an $8 differential.....

Beckmen
December 22nd, 2007, 01:53 PM
For those in the US, deepdiscount has this for 18.58, and the site offers free shipping (unlike amazon)...

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=30242370&src1=DvdPricesearch&extid=df00021

Not sure what their policy is on pre-order pricing. Amazon has the thing where if the pre-order price goes down after you've pre-ordered it, you get it at the lowest price...this place might not have that. This this place has been known to ship items a little early (I got the first season of Dexter 3 days before it's street date). Amazon so far refuses to ship pre-orders for me until the release date, so I end up getting the item about a week after it's out.

OK, that was an insane rant, sorry.

Erik Pasternak
December 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Think of it this way: Shouldn't the event that ends the Ori arc be as long as the one that started it? Avalon/Origin runs about 123 minutes when you edit all three episodes into one movie. I really wanted something similar in length. Something that will allow for a nice build-up, plenty of story, and then a nice denouement. Something SG-1 seemed to stop doing, a nice denouement. I don't expect one in AOT now, though. I expect it'll end as abruptly as most episodes do. The length is going to make it feel like a two-parter, and not like a bona fide film.
That's a little unfair. "Avalon," Pt.1 spent probably about three-quarters of its running time introducing Cameron as a character (and Landry and Vala to a certain extent), as well as dealing with Vala's story with Daniel and the bracelets, which frankly had nothing to do with introducing the Ori. "Avalon"/"Origin" had to do far more set-up than just the Ori and their arc, so it is rather unfair to compare the two.

Beckmen
December 22nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
I suppose you are right, but I still think 90 minutes is too short. No matter how you cut it, a movie event wrapping up the arc at this point is going to feel rushed...so IMO you need to make it as grand as possible. Whenever I see a short movie in the scifi/action genres, I always feel that it could have done more. Just saw I Am Legend, which was about 90-some minutes and I thought the same thing.

Alan
December 23rd, 2007, 05:02 AM
Hi all! This is mainly aimed at UK fans but obviously it's news that everyone should know.

I've just visited the UK site Play.com and they have Stargate SG-1: The Ark of Truth DVD available for pre-order for Region 2. They're reporting the release date of 14th April at a price of 14.99. Postage and Packaging is free.

Here's the link: http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3595723/-/Product.html?searchstring=Stargate%3a+The+Ark+of+Truth&searchsource=0

Platschu
December 23rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
We should make a "Buy the DVD films campaign!" thread. ;)

Fenrir Foxz
December 23rd, 2007, 09:23 AM
We should make a "Buy the DVD films campaign!" thread. ;)

I agree... It may help get the message out there to help secure the future of SG1 by buying the dirct2dvd movies...

Integrabyte
December 23rd, 2007, 10:05 AM
I second that I will be the first to write in there. Come on AMAZON make an exception and mail me the DVD now :D

Fenrir Foxz
December 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
I second that I will be the first to write in there. Come on AMAZON make an exception and mail me the DVD now :D

LOL... Keep praying, it just might happen;)
*AoT was something I wanted (Santa must have deemed me good this year)... didn't expect it to leak though*

Integrabyte
December 23rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
LOL... Keep praying, it just might happen;)
*AoT was something I wanted (Santa must have deemed me good this year)... didn't expect it to leak though*

Nobody did :P

Beckmen
December 23rd, 2007, 11:49 AM
Just pre-ordered it from deepdiscount. Hopefully I still live here come March...haha. :/

Alan
December 23rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
Not sure if this is the place for this but tvshowsondvd.com (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/) are saying that as well as the commentary and the featurette The Road Taken: Prelude to The Ark of Truth, there will be two other featurettes:

* Featurette: The Ark of Truth: Stargate at Comic-Con

* Featurette: Uncovering The Ark of Truth

The article also appears to have the R1 DVD cover art up too. Check it out at the link below:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Stargate-SG-1-Ark-of-Truth-Extras/8676

Beckmen
December 23rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
Cool, so we are getting more features than originally intended. Still not "packed full of jam", but it could be worse.

I kind of hope that artwork isn't final. It's so minimalist, and I don't think it will attract would-be-curious non-fans into picking up the DVD. Plus, it just kind of doesn't work as DVD artwork, IMO. Maybe I am too conditioned to floating heads. :jack_new_anime05:

jenks
December 25th, 2007, 07:38 AM
I like the cover, I was expecting it to be cheesy...

Egle01
December 25th, 2007, 01:01 PM
The cover is all, what I expected. :rolleyes:

SaberBlade
December 26th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I like the cover actually, but I doubt it's the final version.

It seems more like something they've taken from a poster. On top of that, it's not got any of the symbols you'd expect from a DVD cover like the age rating, MGM logo or cast names.

jenks
December 27th, 2007, 07:41 AM
I hope it is the cover to be honest, I was dreading seeing something like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51h6CWj92sL._AA240_.jpg

Alan
December 27th, 2007, 08:03 AM

When I saw that cover for the final volume of Season 10 *and* ending the 10-year run of Stargate SG-1 I was very surprised by what I saw. I was expecting something more...grand...for the final 4 episodes. Quite disappointing really.

I know that's the R2 cover...but what does the R1 cover look like...or is it just the same but without the "12 certificate" symbol?

Beckmen
December 27th, 2007, 02:32 PM
They don't release volumes in R1. We get just the boxset, and there's 3 of those slimline cases in the box (discs 1 and 2, discs 3 and 4, and disc 5). The 5th disc slimline case has floating heads of SG-1 in the top half, and Fredd Willard (:/) on the bottom half. Not a whole lot better.

Rudy Pena
December 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM

---

So in March 2008? Cool

Angela V
December 29th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Canadians, Amazon .ca is showing the movie at $26.59.
I'm thinking of telling Hubby I'd like a belated Valentine's Day present :).

Ladyinred
December 30th, 2007, 12:12 AM

Vol. 5 cover is a great one, Vala was the major player in these episodes, so she deserved her own cover very much. BTW, I hope to see Daniel, Vala and Teal'c in The Ark of Truth cover, they're the main players in the movie.

Ladyinred
December 30th, 2007, 12:16 AM
When I saw that cover for the final volume of Season 10 *and* ending the 10-year run of Stargate SG-1 I was very surprised by what I saw. I was expecting something more...grand...for the final 4 episodes. Quite disappointing really.

If the cover included people/events different than these episodes, I would be definitely shocked and angry. Why do you think that the single volume cover for the last four episodes of SEASON 10 and it doesn't matter at all that it's the last season of the series, should be different? Strange logic...

Take a look at the whole season 10, all 5 volumes and please tell me why vol. 5 should be different from previous 4?

Alan
December 30th, 2007, 03:40 AM
If the cover included people/events different than these episodes, I would be definitely shocked and angry. Why do you think that the single volume cover for the last four episodes of SEASON 10 and it doesn't matter at all that it's the last season of the series, should be different? Strange logic...

Take a look at the whole season 10, all 5 volumes and please tell me why vol. 5 should be different from previous 4?

Well until I saw the previous 4 volumes I thought that Vol. 5 should have had all the SG-1 teams faces featured prominently. Now that I've seen all 5 volumes back-to-back Vol. 5's cover ain't so bad.

Ladyinred
December 30th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Well until I saw the previous 4 volumes I thought that Vol. 5 should have had all the SG-1 teams faces featured prominently.

This would be too confusing for the part of audience who isn't familiar with another SG-1 teams. Plus, since it has anything to do with season 10, it would be really bad idea. It can work for the release of all 10 seasons in one big box, did they do something like this, btw?

jenks
December 30th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Vol. 5 cover is a great one, Vala was the major player in these episodes, so she deserved her own cover very much. BTW, I hope to see Daniel, Vala and Teal'c in The Ark of Truth cover, they're the main players in the movie.

Her being on the cover isn't my issue with it, it's the utter cheesiness of it. It looks like the cover of a kids movie.

Ladyinred
December 30th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Her being on the cover isn't my issue with it, it's the utter cheesiness of it. It looks like the cover of a kids movie.

Actually you can say exactly the same about previous 4 volumes - take a look at the pic of all 5 DVDs in my previous post, in the reply to Alan's post. I don't see anything wrong with it, 15 years old are still kids after all. The DVD doesn't have the age limit of 18 which would justify more adult cover.

jenks
December 30th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Actually you can say exactly the same about previous 4 volumes - take a look at the pic of all 5 DVDs in my previous post, in the reply to Alan's post. I don't see anything wrong with it, 15 years old are still kids after all. The DVD doesn't have the age limit of 18 which would justify more adult cover.

I know. I just posted that one as an example, they make the series look cheap and tacky.

Karyyk
December 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I'm in for one and however many I can get as gifts for whatever occasions happen to come down the pipe. I'm not to worried about the $27 MSRP, because I've yet to see a DVD with a particular MSRP actually sold at that price by any major retailer.

Case in point, $18.99 at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-Ark-Truth-Ben-Browder/dp/B0010YSD7M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1199068121&sr=8-1). I just pre-ordered (along with another pre-order, Iron Man: Beneath the Armor; hello free shipping).

Beckmen
January 4th, 2008, 09:24 AM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/beckmen/dvd_arkoftruth_l.jpg

Hello, floating heads with photoshopped skin. Vala looks like she's CGI. This artwork is pretty shoddy, but oh well. Over the near decade that I have collected DVDs, I have learned to accept bad artwork. It's not the cover that counts.

Alan
January 4th, 2008, 12:16 PM
http://www.gateworld.net/movies/graphics/02_30.jpg

I'm loving the DVD cover! Very nice. At the end of the day though it's the contents on the DVD that have to win me over...but it's Stargate SG-1 so I imagine they will. :)

sgaaddict
January 8th, 2008, 06:31 AM
any news for a release date in France? I'm fed up not having any answer!

jenks
January 8th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Best off just checking the sites you would normally order the release from...

sgaaddict
January 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
i've checked it but nothing. :'( no date, no news, no price, nothing! I'm really thinking in France we won't get the dvd :(

jenks
January 8th, 2008, 03:28 PM
You could ask Joe Mallozzi if he knows anything about it on his blog (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/) if you like, he'll answer questions in French as well.

Ladyinred
January 10th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Great news people :D At the moment AoT is $ 16,99 at Amazon.com, #22 in DVD general and #5 in Science Fiction and Fantasy category!

The price dropped by $2, it used to be $18,99 when I was pre-ordering it a month ago now with LOWEST PRICE GUARANTEE while pre-ordering :)

Beckmen
January 10th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Crapsticks. Well, still not cheaper than the 18.58 I pre-ordered it as from another sitre, because Amazon doesn't offer free shipping on orders below 25 bucks.

Beckmen
March 5th, 2008, 10:36 AM
The Ark of Truth shipped out from Deepdiscount today! :)

sg-1 from the binging
March 5th, 2008, 02:02 PM
the point is not the price but the move marks a nuff money that thy mark more. i wont to see more then just 2 moves it world be cool to see the leap from TV to DVD moves thy have more time and money to do sum good stuff. i to do not wot it to cost to much but i world pay $25 to ensure thy do more

Alan
March 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM
The Ark of Truth shipped out from Deepdiscount today! :)

So did mine! Only it's coming courtesy of DVD Concept! :)

Beckmen
March 13th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Can't really find a thread to put this in, so I will put it here for now.

Has anybody noticed the overscan on The Ark of Truth? How cropped it appears to be. I will try it out on some other TVs to see if it's that bad on them (won't be on 4x3 TVs), but look at it on my TV:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301/beckmen/oerscan.jpg

Most shots aren't this bad...it's the only one that I noticed that is THIS bad, but a lot of them have too much of an actor's head out of screen, or a prop (like a Prior staff) only half in frame and stuff...it was a distraction for me. Other than the overscan, the image was pretty nice.