New to B5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to B5

I have just recently started to watch B5 (up to episode 9 season 1) And I am still not sure about it. it has gotten better but something still eludes me. So my question is, should i continue watching or by this point in the series has the average episdoe reached its pinnacle

keep watching dude, it only gets better. B5 starts slow and s1 is good to understand the politics and dynamics of the show. hm let's see, 9 eps you say? eps 11, 13, 16, 18, 19, 20 and 22 are highlights imo if you keep watching. just give it a chance, finish s1 and if you still don't like it/aren't interested in coming events then IDK. also you shouldn't forget that s2 brings certain changes which definitely benefit the quality of the show
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I have to say, the low to average quality episode has not reached its pinnacle, there are still a few average episodes scattered throughout the whole series. As is true with almost every show out there - they all have high and low points. I just think B5's highs outweighed the lows, imo.

Okay, I take it the last ep you watched was "Deathwalker"? Well, the next few episodes might be a bit slow and heavy going, but if you can get past them, you will make it to "Signs and Portents" which is very relevant to the overall arc at the heart of the show and it is also the season title episode. It's an episode not to be missed and, to be honest, the season finale "Chrysalis" should definitely not be missed.

Yeah, I completely agree with what Jumper_One said. Stick with the show until the end of season one at least, and then decide if it's your thing and is worth continuing to the end.
      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
        I have to say, the low to average quality episode has not reached its pinnacle, there are still a few average episodes scattered throughout the whole series. As is true with almost every show out there - they all have high and low points. I just think B5's highs outweighed the lows, imo.

Okay, I take it the last ep you watched was "Deathwalker"? Well, the next few episodes might be a bit slow and heavy going, but if you can get past them, you will make it to "Signs and Portents" which is very relevant to the overall arc at the heart of the show and it is also the season title episode. It's an episode not to be missed and, to be honest, the season finale "Chrysalis" should definitely not be missed.

Yeah, I completely agree with what Jumper_One said. Stick with the show until the end of season one at least, and then decide if it's your thing and is worth continuing to the end.
        well said!

and TheGreatLordGeorge if you want a taste of s2, 3 etc just watch 'In the Beginning'. I know it takes place before B5 but it's a real powerful movie with awesome scenes and if you like it chances are pretty good you'll also like the show
        sigpic

Comment

Definitely keep watching! S1 is the slowest of the seasons, especially the first half. It only gets better and better, and by the time you get to S2 you'll be hooked. I don't really recommend watching "In the Beginning" though, until after S4, since it gives away major plotlines in S2-4.
          Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
          Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
          Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
          --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
            Definitely keep watching! S1 is the slowest of the seasons, especially the first half. It only gets better and better, and by the time you get to S2 you'll be hooked. I don't really recommend watching "In the Beginning" though, until after S4, since it gives away major plotlines in S2-4.
            ooh you're right, damn how could I forget that. ok TheGreatLordGeorge don't listen to me, don't watch 'In the Beginning'. I was actually just recommending it because of its quality . anyway keep watching B5
            sigpic

Comment

As others have said, keep watching.

Things definitely get shaken up as the series progresses, especially when you come to the end of the season. You definitely want to watch at least part of the second season, because that's when everything starts to take form and arcs begin that can have an effect for a few seasons.

Once you get to the third or fourth episode of season 2, start asking for suggestions on what episodes to watch. Some of the episodes people recommend can help you decide if you want to go further on.

sigpic

Comment

I did this same thing. I got B5 about a year ago now and I almost stopped watching halfway through season 1 because the quality was so low. It picked up slightly toward the end of season 1, but it still wasn't good (I hated the commander. His horrible hammy line delivery and the constant use and misuse of "mY.... GOd!!" (capital letters not by accident) bugged me.

Fortunately they get a new captain at the beginning of season 2 and I liked him immediately. He didn't make the show for me, but he eliminated a big complaint. And of course, the writing improved dramatically in seasons 2 through 4. Season 5 was a letdown, but such is life.

Moviewise, In The Beginning, Third Space, and A Call to Arms were the only ones that I found acceptable. I only made it halfway through Crusade before I gave up, but it was cancelled after half a season anyway, so there isn't much there to watch in any case.

Comment

Totally keep going. It's worth it. When you finish the series, you'll know why.
                  sigpic

Comment

Also, when you've seen the series once, you'll see how little things just said or done in an offhand manner become very significant later. Season 1 is better when you see it a second, third or (currently my) fourth time, because you look for the hints of things to come. Season 5 was a bit of an anti-climax after 3 and 4, but it's still better than a lot of the other shows on air.
                    sigpic

Comment

i have gotten done the two parter in season 1 and the quality has improved.

However the one main gripe i have is Ivonnova, if they didnt remind us every time she is on screen i would forget she is russian or jewish, everyone in her fmily or she knows from the past has an accent, why doesnt she. CC is not a good actress either

Comment

I think CC is a great actress, though I'll admit its not shown that much early in the show. Trust me, you'll see a major improvement soon. As for the accent, thats one of the things I've wondered as well. Even her brother had an accent. But ah well, it doesn't bother me that much.
                        Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                        --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

I think JMS did a great thing in not having her fake an accent. Hammy accents are usually just that, hammy, and while CC is a good enough actress for the role, she's no Viggo Mortensen (who has a fantastic Russian accent in Eastern Promises). CC is great as Ivanova, although I too could have done with less reminders about her ancestry. However, you'll soon see that Ivanova ends up with some of the best lines in the entire show.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
                            i have gotten done the two parter in season 1 and the quality has improved.

However the one main gripe i have is Ivonnova, if they didnt remind us every time she is on screen i would forget she is russian or jewish, everyone in her fmily or she knows from the past has an accent, why doesnt she. CC is not a good actress either
                            Ivanova went to a boarding school in America, I believe.

(I think I read that in the Season By Season guides... £10 for 4 on eBay. STEAL!)

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
                              I think CC is a great actress, though I'll admit its not shown that much early in the show. Trust me, you'll see a major improvement soon. As for the accent, thats one of the things I've wondered as well. Even her brother had an accent. But ah well, it doesn't bother me that much.
                              I agree. CC is fantastic. I think writers often struggle as to what to do with strong female characters when they first start out. Eventually both the writers and the actresses grow into them.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X