Nanites and EMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nanites and EMP

If the Nanites were human manufactured why did no-one think to have them easily knocked out by EMP especially since they were experimental? I mean the Replicator ones are immune for obvious reasons but if we have reversed engineered them surely it would be easier to leave them vulnerable and safer if they escaped (or used by insane father on dyeing daughter and kidnap victim).
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

In the episode someone suggested they use an electrical pulse and was told they were shielded against it. I would bet that they are shielded against an emp pulse as well. But, who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by scholar View Post
      In the episode someone suggested they use an electrical pulse and was told they were shielded against it. I would bet that they are shielded against an emp pulse as well. But, who knows...
      Yeah, I guess my post was more saying it seems a bit strange not to have a fail safe built into them if a situation like this arose especially knowing how dangerous nanites can be.
      A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
        Yeah, I guess my post was more saying it seems a bit strange not to have a fail safe built into them if a situation like this arose especially knowing how dangerous nanites can be.
        There should have been. But, remember, it was Wallace's people and not the government who manufactured the nanites. I don't think they really realize how dangerous the nanites can be.

Comment

I guess they figured that they were screwed either way.

If they weren't shielded from EMP then there was a danger that EMP could knock them out and prevent them from saving someone. On the other hand, they're then limited in options if things go wrong.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
            If the Nanites were human manufactured why did no-one think to have them easily knocked out by EMP especially since they were experimental? I mean the Replicator ones are immune for obvious reasons but if we have reversed engineered them surely it would be easier to leave them vulnerable and safer if they escaped (or used by insane father on dyeing daughter and kidnap victim).
            BARRETT: Can't we just blast her with an electro-magnetic pulse?

McKAY: No. These nanites were designed specifically to be immune to E.M. field fluctuations.

Comment

And when you stop and think about the number of EM fields we live around in the modern era (any electrical device, cell phones, wireless modems, etc.) it's important to have medical gear be specially shielded from being affected.

Happens all the time with current medical implants like pace makers.
              sigpic
              http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Hee, I can just imagine all the physics and chemistry institutes having to put up an extra sign: "Do not enter if you have nanites." next to the "Don't enter with a pacemaker"-sign.

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Working...
                X