This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shades of Grey Stargate Question?

When Jack dials up to earth at the end, he says hell be keeping the gate open so they can't go anywhere else. Now i assume him having his hand in the event horizon was him keeping it open.

Now it was my understanding the gate would close anyway even if something was in the gate, as evidence of it closing on a jaffa going through it in that episode with the mirrior carter and kwiosky....

so shouldnt it have closed on jacks hand?
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

I think that the Asgard were supposed to have forced the wormhole to close. Such was my assumption, anyway.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Well, in the Stargate Atlantis episode Thirty-Eight Minutes
      Spoiler:
      the puddle-jumper was stuck in the gate and it stayed open

So basically, the stargate needs the entire thing to go through before it will rematerialize it. If Jack stood there for 38 minutes with his hand there... he would lose his hand.

I don't know why that was in Point of View with the gate closing on the Jaffa because in all the other episodes the belief came to be that it needed the whole object to be through before it would rematerialize and it would close after around 38 minutes.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
      Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

i was wondering about that....thanks!
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

We also know that Earth's dialing computer, despite it's crudeness, is sophisticated in certain means. The Stargate appears to have some kind of ability to determine when all objects have traveled through, as it shuts itself off. But the Earth dialing computer actually has the ability to automatically shut the gate down.

Ex:
          O'Neill: "Shut it down- now!!"- "Enemy Within," Ep 102

It's probably not as complicated as it sounds. Once you take power away from the gate, it has no choice but to deactivate.

Comment

I think it's a question of matter entering and matter leaving. In Shades of Gray Jack was leaving the wormhole and didn't leave completely, so didn't complete the journey until he removed his hand. In Point of View the Jaffa were running into the wormhole, so hadn't started it completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
              I think it's a question of matter entering and matter leaving. In Shades of Gray Jack was leaving the wormhole and didn't leave completely, so didn't complete the journey until he removed his hand. In Point of View the Jaffa were running into the wormhole, so hadn't started it completely.
              Major, while your theory could easily be true, based on the way Jask stepped thourgh the event horizon, it would have involved some quite impressive gymnastics for Jack to have kept his hand in the event horizon. Presumably, he stuck it back in.
              Rocky

Comment

Well and see that seems to change with the show, like with us seeing/hearing the buttons pushed on a GDO. As most of us know, wormhole physics dictates that an object enters at the velocity it exited. In "The Other Side" O'Neill runs through the wormhole when escaping Euronda, and on the other side he just casually walks through.

If you hold the physics standards as true, then in "Shades of Grey" he would've ran through and then went back and stuck his hand in. We've seen similar things done before, like Ford in "38 Minutes."

And of course O'Neill could've been really quick and stuck his hand out, but the point is, I suppose, that something was intersecting the event horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                  Major, while your theory could easily be true, based on the way Jask stepped thourgh the event horizon, it would have involved some quite impressive gymnastics for Jack to have kept his hand in the event horizon. Presumably, he stuck it back in.
                  That's most likely a plothole. Location shooting not matching with SGC set shooting. My understanding is that sticking his hand back in wouldn't keep the wormhole open, and or, would do very bad things to him (not something they've been entirely consistant about admittedly).

Comment

We do know that going through an INCOMING wormhole constitutes, well, deletion. (The poor MALP from "A Hundred Days," RIP.)

But I would like them to liven up the Stargate lore with experimentation! O'Neill would be the kind of guy who would go around the back side of the active Stargate and walk through! lol

"Thirty-Eight Minutes" was my second-favorite show of the first Atlantis shows we've seen so far, not just because of the great story and tension but because we learned soo much about wormhole physics.

Comment

Originally posted by David
                      "Thirty-Eight Minutes" was my second-favorite show of the first Atlantis shows we've seen so far, not just because of the great story and tension but because we learned soo much about wormhole physics.
                      I think that in the last few seasons of SG1, and now in Atlantis, they are being a bit better about thinking out the laws of wormhole physics, but they also wont sacrefice a story if the story element needs to be there.

Which in general I don't mind. I only notice the discrepency on repeat viewings.

Comment

Right. Only the Stargate-nutty people see the problems

Comment

Right. Only the Stargate-nutty people see the problems
                          Who would be...

.... strange people who spend all their time chatting on forums about the show?

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                            .... strange people who spend all their time chatting on forums about the show?
                            In a Teal'c voice: I know no such people.

Comment

In a Teal'c voice: I know no such people.
                              Indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X