PDA

View Full Version : Reprograming Nanites

wkw427
December 1st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Couldn't they just reprogram the nanites to replace the bad cells in the girl?

but that would make her kind of.. immortal, wouldn't it?

Shan Bruce Lee
December 1st, 2007, 12:28 PM
That's what they were trying to do. They just couldn't do it in time.

Jumper_One
December 1st, 2007, 12:35 PM
Couldn't they just reprogram the nanites to replace the bad cells in the girl?

but that would make her kind of.. immortal, wouldn't it?

not if you shut them off...I think

HenryHayes
December 1st, 2007, 01:23 PM
Wouldnt they have a better chance now with helping Weir ?

Shiro
December 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM
I thought she was gonna be under the control of the nanites when she woke up.

And yeah, I reckon left unchecked they could've made her immortal.

Vala_M
December 2nd, 2007, 08:48 AM
And why is it that nanites cannot be removed from someone if they are deactivated? I am thinking that Jeannie having nanites in her will play out in a future episode like what happend with Weir except hopefully, not in the same way.

Vala,

Jumper_One
December 2nd, 2007, 08:51 AM
And why is it that nanites cannot be removed from someone if they are deactivated? I am thinking that Jeannie having nanites in her will play out in a future episode like what happend with Weir except hopefully, not in the same way.

Vala,

I guess because they're in your bloodstream and in order to remove every little one of them you'd have to get rid of all the blood - which would kill you anyway

Shiro
December 2nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
I guess because they're in your bloodstream and in order to remove every little one of them you'd have to get rid of all the blood - which would kill you anyway
They never removed the ones from Doctor Weir did they?

I figured that once they became inert, the immune system might be able to treat them like a foreign object and remove them as waste.

Jumper_One
December 2nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
They never removed the ones from Doctor Weir did they?

I figured that once they became inert, the immune system might be able to treat them like a foreign object and remove them as waste.

no the nanites were still in Weir, she needed them to survive

I'm not sure about the reaction of the immune system but apparently it doesn't reject the nanites (as seen by Weir and Wallace's daughter). I can imagine that by healing certain organs they also change the way the human body reacts to foreign objects thus stopping it from treating the nanites as some invading virus. I'm just guessing of course

Vala_M
December 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
no the nanites were still in Weir, she needed them to survive

I'm not sure about the reaction of the immune system but apparently it doesn't reject the nanites (as seen by Weir and Wallace's daughter). I can imagine that by healing certain organs they also change the way the human body reacts to foreign objects thus stopping it from treating the nanites as some invading virus. I'm just guessing of course

Actually, that's exactly it. In "The Real World", Beckett said that in tissue cultures, the body's cells attack the nanites, but in Weir's body, they have somehow convinced her immune system that they are not a threat, so the nanites do something to the body to fool it into not attacking the nanites.

Vala,

Integrabyte
December 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
...uhm...the nanites were faulty from a design point of view and not a programming point of view. They "ran out of steam" as McKay would put it, whereas PG nanites would work forever, from a "running out of steam" point of view :P.

***so many points of view in my post ***

Heee hEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

The_Carpenter
December 2nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
...uhm...the nanites were faulty from a design point of view and not a programming point of view. They "ran out of steam" as McKay would put it, whereas PG nanites would work forever, from a "running out of steam" point of view :P.

***so many points of view in my post ***

Heee hEeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

They were both at least until Rodney and Jenny fixed the coding :mckay:

Shiro
December 2nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Actually, that's exactly it. In "The Real World", Beckett said that in tissue cultures, the body's cells attack the nanites, but in Weir's body, they have somehow convinced her immune system that they are not a threat, so the nanites do something to the body to fool it into not attacking the nanites.

Vala,
Aye. I guess they could probably employ some sort of immuno supressants to let the nanites do their work.

After they have, they can let the immune system bounce back and get rid of them.

Perfect.

wise one
December 2nd, 2007, 01:01 PM
it wouldnt make her immortal since the nanites could replicate enough or couldnt be programmed to replicate itself to hep that girl

well something like that, they lacked the resources mckay said

andromeda_dan
December 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
can Todd be trusted with his work on the made-in-earth nanites? who is checking on his work before the program was let loose on Jeannie? could Todd left a 'back door' program to access the nanites in Jeannie and force her to become his spy?

Joe
December 2nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
can Todd be trusted with his work on the made-in-earth nanites? who is checking on his work before the program was let loose on Jeannie? could Todd left a 'back door' program to access the nanites in Jeannie and force her to become his spy?
The nanites did not last for long in the other person they where put in.

andromeda_dan
December 2nd, 2007, 07:22 PM
yea, thanks.

scholar
December 3rd, 2007, 10:11 AM

This got me to thinking of a different application for the nanites. What if they used nanites on the wraith. Made perhaps a projectile weapon that injected them into the wraiths on contact. They could have some interesting effects depending on what they do with their programing.

Actionhank
December 3rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
This got me to thinking of a different application for the nanites. What if they used nanites on the wraith. Made perhaps a projectile weapon that injected them into the wraiths on contact. They could have some interesting effects depending on what they do with their programing.
Are you talking about like species 8472 and adapted borg nanites? I think Woolsey would gladly assist McKay in the adapting process. :D