PDA

View Full Version : Plot Hole Alert!!!

TJuk
December 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM
That must be some pretty damn amazing net connection to get email from the Pegasus Galaxy to Earth, do they get to check perezhilton.com and play yahoo pool too? ;)

While we know the team picked up a new ZPM, they seem to run out quick, would they use precious power to open the gate for 'a couple of emails', no matter how important? They're not in a state of emergency (otherwise they would have called in help sooner) and there was no real sense of urgency...unless you count poor Radek and his sanity! And would they allow such classified material be transmitted not only outside of Atlantis or the SGC, but a military or national security cleared instillation to a home computer outside of the US...over wireless???? Serious, security...what security???? I really hate it when we're expected to ignore HONKING BIG plot holes created by wanting to get as quickly as possible from a to b, resulting in a dumb plot device.

Apart from that, not a bad ep, always love seeing the McKay (and Hewlett) siblings on screen together!

P2J
December 1st, 2007, 11:14 AM
i would assuming there used the midway station to send emails

TJuk
December 1st, 2007, 11:16 AM

The gates still have to be activated in sequence and I'm guessing it would take about the same amount of time to transmit the data as it would people. So judging by Carter & Dr Lee's trip...18 + hours and the same to send anything back. Not to mention all the times it would have to be viewed and approved before being allowed to pass through and beyond the secure internal email servers.

s09119
December 1st, 2007, 11:19 AM
The gates still have to be activated in sequence and I'm guessing it would take about the same amount of time to transmit the data as it would people. So judging by Carter & Dr Lee's trip...18 + hours and the same to send anything back. Not to mention all the times it would have to be viewed and approved before being allowed to pass through and beyond the secure internal email servers.

So what? How is this a plothole...?

jelgate
The gates still have to be activated in sequence and I'm guessing it would take the same amount of time to transmit the data as it would people. So judging by Carter & Dr Lee's trip...18 + hours and the same to send anything back.
According to The Return , it takes 30 minutes to go from Atlantis to the Earth on the Intergalatic bridge

wkw427
It takes 15 mins to go from Atlantis/SGC to midway.. So an hour to go there and come back..

TJuk
December 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM
It takes 15 mins to go from Atlantis/SGC to midway.. So an hour to go there and come back..

So how come it took Carter & Dr Lee so long in the season opener?

jelgate
December 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM
They were searching for Atlantis.

McKAY: Thirty-four Gates from both the Milky Way and Pegasus Gate systems have been strategically placed in the massive void between our two galaxies. Simply enter on either side for example, Atlantis and boom! A macro that I have written specially for the occasion will command each Gate in the chain to store you in its buffer and forward you along to the next, and the next, and the next, and the next, and the next until you arrive here. Once at the midway space station you simply exit the Pegasus Gate system and enter the Milky Way Gate system where a similar macro designed by yours truly will forward you along to the SGC. Total travel time, a little over thirty minutes. Cue applause.

Naonak
December 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM
Uh... It did?

TJuk
December 1st, 2007, 11:26 AM
Uh... It did?

Seemed to take forever, I spent most of the eps thinking, can she get there already!!!

So 30 mins for the email to be transmitted (thanks for clearing that up jelgate! :)). Still the main question is, would they allow an email with such classified material to be sent to a home computer? A home computer using wireless (which is easily interceptable). Wouldn't they ask to have Jeannie brought to the SGC? Course that would make kidnap a wee bit difficult...

Naonak
December 1st, 2007, 11:31 AM
Seemed to take forever, I spent most of the eps thinking, can she get there already!!!
What? She decided to go to Pegasus at the end of Adrift, and they arrived at the beginning of Lifeline...

freetoken
December 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM

So 30 mins for the email to be transmitted (thanks for clearing that up jelgate! :)). Still the main question is, would they allow an email with such classified material to be sent to a home computer? A home computer using wireless (which is easily interceptable). Wouldn't they ask to have Jeannie brought to the SGC? Course that would make kidnap a wee bit difficult...

Your complaints are reasonable, but obviously the writers didn't want to deal with this sort of stuff. Once could also presume that McKay's sister works on a portable provided by the SGC, so it embeds the most advanced encryption that exists, thus a civilian hacker would not be successful. Of course the DMT corp. was able to hack it....

Imperator
December 1st, 2007, 12:11 PM
Didn't she and Dr. Lee arrive on the Apollo?

kkdkckrl
December 1st, 2007, 12:19 PM
What i think happened is Rodney sends an email and it gets "queued" to be sent back to Earth. I am pretty sure Atlantis dials to report back to Earth daily / weekly / monthly through Midway. Once it gets dialed in, the email is sent in (ofcourse after security checks and what not).

Detox
December 1st, 2007, 12:22 PM
Wouldn't data be sent through immediately?

TJuk
December 1st, 2007, 12:32 PM
What i think happened is Rodney sends an email and it gets "queued" to be sent back to Earth. I am pretty sure Atlantis dials to report back to Earth daily / weekly / monthly through Midway. Once it gets dialed in, the email is sent in (ofcourse after security checks and what not).

Yeah, and that would take days if not weeks. This was preceived to be instantaneous and easy. Dont have the answer? Oh I'll just send a quick email to my sister!

Your complaints are reasonable, but obviously the writers didn't want to deal with this sort of stuff. Once could also presume that McKay's sister works on a portable provided by the SGC, so it embeds the most advanced encryption that exists, thus a civilian hacker would not be successful. Of course the DMT corp. was able to hack it....

I dont think Jack, Carter etc were ever allowed to take files home. I think that would be a huge breech of security and strictly prohibited. Rodney's email constitutes the same huge breech of security. That laptop could easily be stolen nevermind hacked. And the fact DMT so easily intercepted it proves the point of why this wouldn't be allowed. A plot point brought up if the loss of a file were needed as the catalyst (as it has been), why was it allowed off base? But of course they needed it to be 'out there' so that plot hole is over looked...Sloppy, very sloppy!

Avenger
December 1st, 2007, 12:36 PM

And we have a winner. Atlantis previously reported back to earth on a weekly basis and sent data bursts as well when they had a ZPM. They can repeat that process by gating directly to Earth, or they can use the gate bridge to send data back. Either way, it's entirely possible, and it's not a plot hole.

Jumper_One
December 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM

I think you're absolutely right, I thought of that too. though it still doesn't explain why Jeanie was allowed to work on this stuff outside of the SGC

s09119
December 1st, 2007, 12:51 PM
I think you're absolutely right, I thought of that too. though it still doesn't explain why Jeanie was allowed to work on this stuff outside of the SGC

They probably gave her an SGC computer, either that or they were just careless and figured no one would bother a housewife living in Canada...

Jumper_One
December 1st, 2007, 12:58 PM
They probably gave her an SGC computer, either that or they were just careless and figured no one would bother a housewife living in Canada...

even so it's just wrong imo. information as this should only be accessible form the SGC (or Atlantis of course). her notebook could've been as secure as possible it would still be an unnecessary risk

kkdkckrl
December 1st, 2007, 01:11 PM
Yeah, and that would take days if not weeks. This was preceived to be instantaneous and easy. Dont have the answer? Oh I'll just send a quick email to my sister!

Maybe the window of dialing back to earth was fast approaching, which is why everyone was urging Rodney to send the email to her.

Now regarding security clearances, maybe she was cleared to receive information as she was assisting Rodney in his work rather than just receiving information.

I'm sure if you were one of the brightest minds in SGC-Atlantis, and you requested assistance of individuals who are also well qualified in a particular field, the gov't would give those individuals clearance. It's not very often Rodney asks for help ;)

Avenger
December 1st, 2007, 03:21 PM
even so it's just wrong imo. information as this should only be accessible form the SGC (or Atlantis of course). her notebook could've been as secure as possible it would still be an unnecessary risk

That's quite true. She should have been working at a secure location of some sort.

jds1982
December 1st, 2007, 03:47 PM
Maybe Rodney didn't let anyone know he was sending secure information, who's to say the SGC reads every communication before forwarding it to the intended recipient.

garhkal
December 1st, 2007, 04:36 PM
Good point. Maybe Mccay was doing that behind the scenes so to speak.

TJuk
December 1st, 2007, 04:36 PM
Maybe Rodney didn't let anyone know he was sending secure information, who's to say the SGC reads every communication before forwarding it to the intended recipient.

Er...because any incoming or outgoing communications from a top secret base are constantly monitored? If he was 'smuggling' out emails to his sister, risking top secret information falling into enemy hands without his superiors knowledge thats traitorous and would have him fired, then locked up. I dont see then letting Rodney back to SGA because of the security risk after that, regardless of his intelliegents. Carter is there now and just as smart!

Xaeden
December 1st, 2007, 07:08 PM
I dont think Jack, Carter etc were ever allowed to take files home. I think that would be a huge breech of security and strictly prohibited. Rodney's email constitutes the same huge breech of security. That laptop could easily be stolen nevermind hacked. And the fact DMT so easily intercepted it proves the point of why this wouldn't be allowed. A plot point brought up if the loss of a file were needed as the catalyst (as it has been), why was it allowed off base? But of course they needed it to be 'out there' so that plot hole is over looked...Sloppy, very sloppy!

Jack and Sam were employed by the American government, he is not. So long as he doesn't disclose any information concerning the stargate program, he is fine and the government can't control his data (they can only control what they have agreed to control, with the IOA, concerning information coming back from Atlantis). So comparing his research to Sam's is silly as although we know the American government has wanted to keep all the technology it got out of the Stargate program to itself, we do not know that the IOA is such a control freak about it. Mainly their goal is to get technology that would benefit the whole world so what do they care if someone gets information concerning a few lines of nanite programming? So long as he's not sending out detailed instructions on how to build weapons, so long as what he's sending won't allow anyone to reproduce these nanites (the little tidbits Henry got from Jeanie's computer didn't begin to help him - he needed them) and so long as someone can't figure out this is alien technology they are talking about, I don't see the issue.

Mitchell82
December 1st, 2007, 07:17 PM

Most likely they used the Midway as a relay point to send messages so not a plothole.

MathiasE
December 1st, 2007, 09:07 PM

I believe it was established in some episode that there's a quarantine at midway station for personel that's going trough which is why it takes longer for people than for pure data to go trough. Can't remember what episode though.

Avenger
December 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM
Jack and Sam were employed by the American government, he is not.

Rodney works for the US government. He was working with the Stargate program before the IOA ever existed.

jenks
December 1st, 2007, 11:12 PM
The Atlantis expedition is international, I seriously doubt that Rodney is still on the US payroll.

TJuk
December 2nd, 2007, 04:45 AM
...So long as he doesn't disclose any information concerning the stargate program, he is fine and the government can't control his data (they can only control what they have agreed to control, with the IOA, concerning information coming back from Atlantis)...

McKay is a civilian working for the US government as stated in multiple episodes since he first appeared in SG1 nevermind SGA. ANY data, ANY project he works on is therefore the property of the US goverment. He has to have permission to send it ANYWHERE outside of approved lines of communication or facilities (which will all be high security). Not to mention he works on a top secret project, and if personal letters (as noted in 'Letters from Pegasus') have to be viewed and approved, emails containing alien code sure are and would not have been authorised (no matter how insignificant). Jeanie would then have had to go to the SGC, which wouldn't have allowed for her kidnapping, its called a 'plot device' (which led to a plot hole).

And if he sent it without permission, thats a breech of security and liable to find him in the brig and off the project.

To say otherwise is silly, it would be a breech of national security to allow anything of 'alien' origin outside of a secure facility as has been repeatedly established throughout SG1 & SGA's history. The rules were changed/conveniently ignored/overlooked to suit the plot.

jenks
December 2nd, 2007, 05:12 AM
The Atlantis expedition is funded by the IOA.

TJuk
December 2nd, 2007, 05:38 AM
The Atlantis expedition is funded by the IOA.

And your point is?

thekillman
December 2nd, 2007, 05:42 AM
1: i think it was explained but cut out in the final version

2: at the scheduled check-in i think team members can send all kinds of e-mails and such back and forth. jeany has security clearance, and the comps were probably secure, but hey, when searching for baal baal was able to hack into the security aswel. so if you know what youre searching fnding it becomes a heck easier.

jenks
December 2nd, 2007, 07:26 AM
And your point is?

My point is McKay is also on the IOA payroll. Obviously.

Naonak
December 2nd, 2007, 08:20 AM
McKay is a civilian working for the US government as stated in multiple episodes since he first appeared in SG1 nevermind SGA. ANY data, ANY project he works on is therefore the property of the US goverment.
On SG-1, yes he was, because the US government was in control of everything. These days, though, I'd bet my left arm that the IOA pays him (ever since they started researching the Antarctic outpost).

Not to mention he works on a top secret project, and if personal letters (as noted in 'Letters from Pegasus') have to be viewed and approved, emails containing alien code sure are and would not have been authorised (no matter how insignificant). Jeanie would then have had to go to the SGC, which wouldn't have allowed for her kidnapping, its called a 'plot device' (which led to a plot hole).
Almost all of those personal letters were to people without security clearance, so would have had to be checked. Jeannie, on the other hand, does have clearance.

DMT managed to find out about the Stargate Program, so I'm sure that a) that's a bigger security problem; and b) intercepting e-mails would be no problem no matter what security measures were taken.

Actionhank
December 2nd, 2007, 08:49 AM
I must admit it's a huge plot hole. One has to remember what's possibly at stake when communicating in an uncontrolled fashion.

CalmStorm
December 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
The email issue, to me is not a plot hole, it's just stupid.

I imagine that Atlantis still checks in with the SGC and when that occurs data streams are sent and it shouldn't be that difficult or taxing on the systems to transfer emails to and from Pegasus and the Milky Way.

However, I would think that all email communications would be searched through as a security measure. McKay sending emails to his sister of such a confidential nature just seems stupid. It seems implausible for someone so brilliant to be that careless, because no matter the precautions taken, it seemed very easy for those with knowledge to tap into the email. With all of the 'bad guys' out there like The Trust and such with the knowledge, ability, and desire to do such things, you would think it would be a common sense ' no no' to send an email of that nature.

Stupid yes, plot hole, not so much.

Phenix
December 2nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
The email issue, to me is not a plot hole, it's just stupid.

I imagine that Atlantis still checks in with the SGC and when that occurs data streams are sent and it shouldn't be that difficult or taxing on the systems to transfer emails to and from Pegasus and the Milky Way.

However, I would think that all email communications would be searched through as a security measure. McKay sending emails to his sister of such a confidential nature just seems stupid. It seems implausible for someone so brilliant to be that careless, because no matter the precautions taken, it seemed very easy for those with knowledge to tap into the email. With all of the 'bad guys' out there like The Trust and such with the knowledge, ability, and desire to do such things, you would think it would be a common sense ' no no' to send an email of that nature.

Stupid yes, plot hole, not so much.

Since when has McKay shown common sense? The man destroys damn near anything that is important. As for the e-mail it was a stupid plot device to get the show moving along. If SGA had any carry over it would have Carter either apologizing to or berating McKay.

Phenix
December 2nd, 2007, 09:32 AM
On SG-1, yes he was, because the US government was in control of everything. These days, though, I'd bet my left arm that the IOA pays him (ever since they started researching the Antarctic outpost).

Almost all of those personal letters were to people without security clearance, so would have had to be checked. Jeannie, on the other hand, does have clearance.

DMT managed to find out about the Stargate Program, so I'm sure that a) that's a bigger security problem; and b) intercepting e-mails would be no problem no matter what security measures were taken.

Last time I checked the existence of Atlantis is still not known to the general population. The IOA has just as much interest in keeping the program under the radar. It is highly doubtful that they would allow McKay's sister to have access to such sensitive data. However they show needed it so his sister had to get the info. Also why the hell is she even helping him write computer code. I thought she was a physics genius. Computers are a hell of a lot different than physics.

Avenger
December 2nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
I must admit it's a huge plot hole. One has to remember what's possibly at stake when communicating in an uncontrolled fashion.

Look up the definition of "plot hole". Seriously.

ta1yn
December 3rd, 2007, 11:25 AM
We don't know exactly what Rodney sent her. The problem with this episode was that it was very vague. Honestly, I don't think he sent her the whole code. If you watch her, what is the first thing that she does when she gets it? She grabs paper and and a pen. If you ask any programer, they don't use those archaic devices. My guess is that he sent her some algorithms that they were having troubles with. She is a physics genius.

Another thing is that we are assuming that people would know what to do with the code. They not only need to understand the code, but they also have to have the resources to implement it. It was just out of chance that the only company that had both intercepted the email. Remember that it was said in this episode that the military outsources their work to many different companies and they don't centralize it into one. So there would be only one company working on the nannites.

Barbaro
December 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I really just don't see an email floating out of the stargate at the SGC and finding its way to the internet. I'm assuming that what Rodney would have had to do would be to send it in a data burst to the SGC and from there someone went online and emailed Jeannie. Therefore the email had to have approval. Not a plot hole. I agree stupid, though.

Jackie
December 5th, 2007, 07:43 AM
the ep was full of plot devices IMO.

the first plot device was sending classified e-mail--through a stargate--to a personal e-mail account where anyone could hack it.

the sec one was Rodney suddenly becoming dumber--yet with nearly 8 years of replicator stories they couldn't find a way to shut them down and they were earth replicators.

third plot device was the earth replicators were using replicator code but were earth made and the pulse device that Thor had carter makes should have worked but the writers dismissed it by stating:

BARRETT: Can't we just blast her with an electro-magnetic pulse?

McKAY: No. These nanites were designed specifically to be immune to E.M. field fluctuations.

Why make a prototype of an alien technology that would be immune to the only way you have to shut them down? No sense from a management POV.

next plot device was the lack of "qualified" people to look at the hard drive on Jeannie's computer.--the hard drive was forensic evidence in a kidnapping case. The computer was supposed to be isolated from the scene and brought to an expert off scene where it could be looked at. According to Barrett--who had no real jurisdiction in Canada on a Canadian kidnapping case--only the victim's brother could get the info out and do that unsupervised while at the victim's house. Victim family members are not allowed near evidence becuase they are your first suspect on the list.

he also saw fit to send the victim's family away to a hotel (sheps call) with no contact from the kidnapper and no demands from the kidnapper. You keep the family home and tap the phone for a call.

in the middle of the night in a rural peaceful area no dogs would be barking at a load of armed masked men exiting a large vehicle and entering a house and taking a woman at gun point. No one saw the vehicle or gave them any leads. Yeah, right!

barrett drove mckay to the location mckay managed to lead them to with the computer examination--only to find--and surprise--it's a trap. Barrett just screams incompetence.

Barrett also was compromised by Ba'al in season 10 of SG-1 and should not have even been in the NID anymore.

next plot device:

Wallace was ready to go to jail for rest of his life...then the wraith todd collapses before finishing the very LAST part of the code and NEEDS to eat.

Wallace's daughter was last listed in a reset state where she would live but need to learn everything all over again---and her father would be jail--now she suddenly dies and Todd needs to eat--so wallace willingly volunteers to be wraith fodder.

is it me or is the whole plot of the ep nothing more than a big plot device to get Jeannie and McKay on screen together?

PG15
December 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM
the first plot device was sending classified e-mail--through a stargate--to a personal e-mail account where anyone could hack it.

To be fair, it was never confirmed that the email was sent through the ordinary internet. Chances are it was a very secure line, or something like that.

the sec one was Rodney suddenly becoming dumber--yet with nearly 8 years of replicator stories they couldn't find a way to shut them down and they were earth replicators.

You sure? I thought the nanites were based on the Asurans.

third plot device was the earth replicators were using replicator code but were earth made and the pulse device that Thor had carter makes should have worked but the writers dismissed it by stating:

BARRETT: Can't we just blast her with an electro-magnetic pulse?

McKAY: No. These nanites were designed specifically to be immune to E.M. field fluctuations.

Why make a prototype of an alien technology that would be immune to the only way you have to shut them down? No sense from a management POV.

Considering the amount of stray EM waves all around us, it'll be a piss poor life-saver if they can be turned off by a thunderstorm.

in the middle of the night in a rural peaceful area no dogs would be barking at a load of armed masked men exiting a large vehicle and entering a house and taking a woman at gun point. No one saw the vehicle or gave them any leads. Yeah, right!

They were good, and everyone was asleep? ;)

Jackie
December 5th, 2007, 12:46 PM
To be fair, it was never confirmed that the email was sent through the ordinary internet. Chances are it was a very secure line, or something like that.

You sure? I thought the nanites were based on the Asurans.

Considering the amount of stray EM waves all around us, it'll be a piss poor life-saver if they can be turned off by a thunderstorm.

They were good, and everyone was asleep? ;)

as I recall--the EMP took time for Carter and Thor to invent and the replicators could change the frequency of their shield to render the device null and void.

if the replicators were so--easy to turn off--then they never would have be able to nearly wipe out the Asgard.

But that said--why take away the only means to shut down a PROTOTYPE? the prototype was not meant to be an actual life saver...more of a test batch. It's like removing all your safeguards.

jenks
December 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
as I recall--the EMP took time for Carter and Thor to invent and the replicators could change the frequency of their shield to render the device null and void.

You remember wrongly.

if the replicators were so--easy to turn off--then they never would have be able to nearly wipe out the Asgard.

The Asurans never nearly wiped out the Asgard.

But that said--why take away the only means to shut down a PROTOTYPE? the prototype was not meant to be an actual life saver...more of a test batch. It's like removing all your safeguards.

I thought they were unfinished? Not sure about this I could be wrong...

Mitchell82
December 5th, 2007, 06:05 PM
You remember wrongly.

Exactly. The Asurans are different from the replicators that nearly destroyed the Asgard and yes they were unfinished.

Jackie
December 5th, 2007, 06:47 PM
You remember wrongly.

so why would they be resistant to EMP blast if they were not fininshed. There was no reason as how they were resistant or why. Just..."Sorry can't do it." in the script...not in those exact words of course...but it didn't tell us why or how.

So, looking at it as a script and not "real life" guys...the nanites not having a way to shut down in the story is a plot device designed to move the story into other grounds that would otherwise not lead the story too.

Please, do not just state I'm wrong about something...back it up and explain to me just how I was wrong. I want facts.

PG15
December 5th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Umm...pretty sure the "how" was "we programmed them to not stop working if they get hit by EM waves".

andromeda_dan
December 5th, 2007, 07:19 PM
hmm...reprogramming the replicator nanites to become resistant to EMP doesnt sound right, unless earth scientist are able to coat the individual replicator nanites with an EMP resistant material. Software can't make the material from which the nanites are made from to become EMP resistance. Example, electronic components. To make them EMP proof, they need to be shielded. The nanites in Jeannie were made in earth, it's reasonable to say that they would have use earth base technology and material that are physically EMP resistant.

Mitchell82
December 5th, 2007, 07:54 PM
hmm...reprogramming the replicator nanites to become resistant to EMP doesnt sound right, unless earth scientist are able to coat the individual replicator nanites with an EMP resistant material. Software can't make the material from which the nanites are made from to become EMP resistance. Example, electronic components. To make them EMP proof, they need to be shielded. The nanites in Jeannie were made in earth, it's reasonable to say that they would have use earth base technology and material that are physically EMP resistant.

Actually with that kind of technology anything is possible. You just need to find the right code.

Actionhank
December 6th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Look up the definition of "plot hole". Seriously.
Thanks, but I have a firm grasp. I don't want to go into technical detail but I think I know a little on how the thing we refer to as "E-Mail" works. Even if they use safe end-to-end encryption (which they obviously didn't) it is still foolish to let someone outside the whole stargate programm get involved in this. Ok, maybe we could just open it up for everyone but I doubt they wanted to do this.

To put it simple: No working at home for such a top secret project - never, not even the persons that are in it.

But then - how to reach her? She is nowhere else to find...I understand that they had to think of some way to get in touch with her but it just doesn't fit in the top secret militarily handled kind of thing.

chestnu1
December 12th, 2007, 11:33 AM
If they ever needed a plot line to have the stargate program accidently revealed to the public a stolen laptop with sgc data on it would be how to do it.