Plot Hole Alert!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plot Hole Alert!!!

That must be some pretty damn amazing net connection to get email from the Pegasus Galaxy to Earth, do they get to check perezhilton.com and play yahoo pool too?

While we know the team picked up a new ZPM, they seem to run out quick, would they use precious power to open the gate for 'a couple of emails', no matter how important? They're not in a state of emergency (otherwise they would have called in help sooner) and there was no real sense of urgency...unless you count poor Radek and his sanity! And would they allow such classified material be transmitted not only outside of Atlantis or the SGC, but a military or national security cleared instillation to a home computer outside of the US...over wireless???? Serious, security...what security???? I really hate it when we're expected to ignore HONKING BIG plot holes created by wanting to get as quickly as possible from a to b, resulting in a dumb plot device.

Apart from that, not a bad ep, always love seeing the McKay (and Hewlett) siblings on screen together!

i would assuming there used the midway station to send emails

Comment

Originally posted by P2J View Post
      i would assuming there used the midway station to send emails
      The gates still have to be activated in sequence and I'm guessing it would take about the same amount of time to transmit the data as it would people. So judging by Carter & Dr Lee's trip...18 + hours and the same to send anything back. Not to mention all the times it would have to be viewed and approved before being allowed to pass through and beyond the secure internal email servers.

Comment

Originally posted by TJuk View Post
        The gates still have to be activated in sequence and I'm guessing it would take about the same amount of time to transmit the data as it would people. So judging by Carter & Dr Lee's trip...18 + hours and the same to send anything back. Not to mention all the times it would have to be viewed and approved before being allowed to pass through and beyond the secure internal email servers.
        So what? How is this a plothole...?
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

The gates still have to be activated in sequence and I'm guessing it would take the same amount of time to transmit the data as it would people. So judging by Carter & Dr Lee's trip...18 + hours and the same to send anything back.
          According to The Return , it takes 30 minutes to go from Atlantis to the Earth on the Intergalatic bridge
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

It takes 15 mins to go from Atlantis/SGC to midway.. So an hour to go there and come back..

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
              It takes 15 mins to go from Atlantis/SGC to midway.. So an hour to go there and come back..
              So how come it took Carter & Dr Lee so long in the season opener?

Comment

They were searching for Atlantis.
                McKAY: Thirty-four Gates from both the Milky Way and Pegasus Gate systems have been strategically placed in the massive void between our two galaxies. Simply enter on either side – for example, Atlantis – and boom! A macro that I have written specially for the occasion will command each Gate in the chain to store you in its buffer and forward you along to the next, and the next, and the next, and the next, and the next until you arrive here. Once at the midway space station you simply exit the Pegasus Gate system and enter the Milky Way Gate system where a similar macro designed by yours truly will forward you along to the SGC. Total travel time, a little over thirty minutes. Cue applause.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Uh... It did?

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                    Uh... It did?
                    Seemed to take forever, I spent most of the eps thinking, can she get there already!!!

So 30 mins for the email to be transmitted (thanks for clearing that up jelgate! ). Still the main question is, would they allow an email with such classified material to be sent to a home computer? A home computer using wireless (which is easily interceptable). Wouldn't they ask to have Jeannie brought to the SGC? Course that would make kidnap a wee bit difficult...

Comment

Seemed to take forever, I spent most of the eps thinking, can she get there already!!!
                      What? She decided to go to Pegasus at the end of Adrift, and they arrived at the beginning of Lifeline...

Comment

So 30 mins for the email to be transmitted (thanks for clearing that up jelgate! ). Still the main question is, would they allow an email with such classified material to be sent to a home computer? A home computer using wireless (which is easily interceptable). Wouldn't they ask to have Jeannie brought to the SGC? Course that would make kidnap a wee bit difficult...
                        Your complaints are reasonable, but obviously the writers didn't want to deal with this sort of stuff. Once could also presume that McKay's sister works on a portable provided by the SGC, so it embeds the most advanced encryption that exists, thus a civilian hacker would not be successful. Of course the DMT corp. was able to hack it....

Comment

Didn't she and Dr. Lee arrive on the Apollo?
                          From this day to the ending of the world,
                          We in it shall be remembered --
                          We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
                          - Shakespeare's Henry V

Comment

What i think happened is Rodney sends an email and it gets "queued" to be sent back to Earth. I am pretty sure Atlantis dials to report back to Earth daily / weekly / monthly through Midway. Once it gets dialed in, the email is sent in (ofcourse after security checks and what not).

Comment

Wouldn't data be sent through immediately?
                              These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Working...
                              X