PDA

View Full Version : Walter's back

andromeda_dan
December 1st, 2007, 09:00 AM
...great to see the Chevron Man back in action

Major_Griff
December 1st, 2007, 09:02 AM
OMFG I was dying when they had him talking to Ronon about the Admiral that was so funny! Long live Walter!

Jumper_One
December 1st, 2007, 09:02 AM
I loved that scene, it was great to see Walter again. don't know about his stories though (at least he mentioned O'Neill :)), Ronon sure looked bored :p

SaberBlade
December 1st, 2007, 09:12 AM
I loved this scene. It was a shame to torture poor Ronan like that but Walter is just a great character it was nice to see him get some a moment in the spotlight again. He and Ronan just had great chemistry because I loved Ronan's reaction the moment Sheppard spoke to him.

We defintely need more Walter and Ronan.

Xicer
December 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM
I honestly didn't like that particular scene very much. I mean hey, it was nice to see him again, but it felt too much like they degraded him into a Dr. Lee-like character who is only used for comic relief purposes...

P2J
December 1st, 2007, 10:05 AM
...great to see the Chevron Man back in action

that had to be one of the worst scenes every done in the history of this show.

poor ronon :ronan:

Shan Bruce Lee
December 1st, 2007, 12:32 PM
I honestly didn't like that particular scene very much. I mean hey, it was nice to see him again, but it felt too much like they degraded him into a Dr. Lee-like character who is only used for comic relief purposes...

You think they degraded him? I kinda thought it was nice to see him finally get to do something that doesn't envolve dialing the gate and saying "...chevron six encoded..." etc. I mean there's only been about 2 or 3 of these moments for him in all 10 seasons of SG-1.

Xicer
December 1st, 2007, 12:36 PM
I thought it was nice seeing him again too but its just the way they did it. It reminded me too much of what Dr. Lee has become lately.

Shan Bruce Lee
December 1st, 2007, 12:49 PM
lol well yeah, the bingo joke was pretty bad.

prion
December 1st, 2007, 05:26 PM
The scene would have been okay if it had been half as long. I felt like Ronon looked; pained at having to suffer through it. Walter, like Dr. Lee, are now just buffoons providing comic relief.

Killdeer
December 1st, 2007, 05:34 PM
I felt like Ronon looked; pained at having to suffer through it.

That was me exactly. Although Ronon's face was pretty funny. Chevron guy, however, was not funny (in my opinion of course). I could very cheerfully never ever see him on this show again.

SaberBlade
December 1st, 2007, 06:09 PM
I think Walter not being funny is what made that scene so good. Ronan wouldn't have been able to be that way if Walter was actually interesting. Making Walter as boring as possible, yet Walter thinking the whole thing is great, just goes to help making Ronan want to kill someone that much more funny.

Mitchell82
December 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
I loved this scene. It was a shame to torture poor Ronan like that but Walter is just a great character it was nice to see him get some a moment in the spotlight again. He and Ronan just had great chemistry because I loved Ronan's reaction the moment Sheppard spoke to him.

We defintely need more Walter and Ronan.

Yeah poor Ronon, I loved that scene too. Just imagine though if Shep waited a few more minutes.

andromeda_dan
December 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM
picture what Ronon maybe thinking while Walter was going thru his monologue. In comic thinking bubble: he grabbed his gun and blasted away at Walter in stun setting.

Mitchell82
December 1st, 2007, 07:27 PM
picture what Ronon maybe thinking while Walter was going thru his monologue. In comic thinking bubble: he grabbed his gun and blasted away at Walter in stun setting.

No he would have forgot to set it on stun.;)

Amalthea
December 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM

I don't know how much of it is "lately" with Lee. I caught one of his earlier episodes a week or so ago, and he was comic-relief man then, too. Maybe it's just more blatant now.

Anyway, it was nice to see Walter say a little more than "Chevron One encoded." It was also nice to see Ronon listen politely, too. Minor character development for the big guy.

Egle01
December 3rd, 2007, 02:21 AM
Oh, I was crushed to see SGC and Walter (my fault that I saw only his back?)!:sheppardanime32:
Badly miss Stargate SG-1.
So, how many eps is Carter gonna skip? 4 or 6 in total? Can't remember at the moment.

jenks
December 3rd, 2007, 02:57 AM
6, I think.

g.o.d
December 3rd, 2007, 03:33 AM
it wasn't funny, it was stupid. Well done TPTB!! You made another idiotic character after Dr. Lee

P-90_177
December 3rd, 2007, 06:54 AM

it wasn't funny, it was stupid. Well done TPTB!! You made another idiotic character after Dr. Lee

I thought it was funny. But i do agree that it did seem very doctor lee-ish. but hey it was still a fun scene so i don't really care. was just great to see the old guy again.

MIZA
December 3rd, 2007, 11:52 AM
lol well yeah, the bingo joke was pretty bad.

yeah i did not get that joke?, was he comparing something to bingo ?

wise one
December 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
of course his back he didnt go anywhere, its not like he got a managing job in sales at the sgc

scholar
December 3rd, 2007, 02:46 PM
yeah i did not get that joke?, was he comparing something to bingo ?

It was the letter followed by two numbers like in bingo. The "joke" was that he sounded like a bingo caller. B13, D10, etc. It was a very bad joke that was meant to come across as such. I thought the scene was well done and set up one of those awkward moments we've all experienced. When you are not interested in listening to something someone has to say, but, can't leave because it would be rude. The humor was that it was Ronan that was stuck in that situation.

Cautious Explorer
December 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
That scene was a complete waste of time. It went on far too long. They can't find anything for Ronon to do, but they have time to write an endless scene to showcase the annoying SG-1 character. I hate to think what was cut to make room for that.

Jumper_One
December 3rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
That scene was a complete waste of time. It went on far too long. They can't find anything for Ronon to do, but they have time to write an endless scene to showcase the annoying SG-1 character. I hate to think what was cut to make room for that.

from Alex Levine's blog
In one scene, Ronon and Sheppard are watching tv in a hotel room, more specifically Battlestar Galactica, and Ronon turns to Sheppard and says something like "we should help these people!" Well, most everybody laughed about it at the script stage. Even Rob Cooper. But Cooper had misgivings. I recall him saying that it makes Ronon look stupid. Like the guy doesn't even understand what a television set is and that the stories on tv are fictional. But damn it was funny. It turns out the scene is still in the final cut (according to our trusty Post Supervisor Kerry McDowall) but that portion of it has been cut and you no longer know they're watching tv.

Cautious Explorer
December 3rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
Nice. So they cut all of Ronon's lines to keep him from looking dumb. And rather than come up with any other lines for Ronon in their place, they decide to showcase Walter. That makes perfect sense. :S

turkishdee
December 4th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I liked the scene with Walter, but it does show how pointless Ronan is to the team. I mean most episodes he just walks around not understanding anything (most of the SG universe involves science and/or technology) and whenever the camera is pointing at him I just think it is wasting screen time.

In a way I feel the same about Teyla, but she displays good tracking and survival skills.

Either way neither Teyla or Ronan really needed to be in this episode. Maybe Ronan would have been better off helping Teyla with her 'baby' issues ;)

MechaThor
December 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I liked the scene with Walter, but it does show how pointless Ronan is to the team. I mean most episodes he just walks around not understanding anything (most of the SG universe involves science and/or technology) and whenever the camera is pointing at him I just think it is wasting screen time.

In a way I feel the same about Teyla, but she displays good tracking and survival skills.

Either way neither Teyla or Ronan really needed to be in this episode. Maybe Ronan would have been better off helping Teyla with her 'baby' issues ;)

You could of said the same about Teal'c! Ronon and Teyla and not usless. They are the figthers! And the Pegesus galaxay and wraith exsperts. When they start writing more eps 4 them they will shine.
Now FORD he was a waste of screentime.

As for Walter, I liked the scene. I don't know what he was on about (something to do with papaer?) But it still made me laugh, and showed Ronon stuck out of his element.

turkishdee
December 4th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I agree that Ford was a waste of space. I really hated his character and thought the actor didn't really play it that well. Anyway he is gone and that made me happy when he left.

I don't think we can use the excuse that Teyla and Ronan are the 'wraith experts' any more. The atlantis expedition has had enough experience with the wraith to know just about all they need to know by now and the fact they have 'Todd' helping them out as well and all..

Also you really can't compare the unintelligent 'I just want to kill stuff' Ronan to the legend that is Teal'c. T contributed WAY more to an SG1 episode than Ronan does in a SGA episode.

andromeda_dan
December 4th, 2007, 08:10 PM
:zelenka25: Ronon's character can be alot more interesting if the character can share his Satedan culture. Being the lone Satedan in Atlantis should provide more opportunity for the audience to learn about the Satedan way, rather than seeing him assimilate the ways of the Canadians...er..humans.
I agree that Ford was a waste of space. I really hated his character and thought the actor didn't really play it that well. Anyway he is gone and that made me happy when he left.

I don't think we can use the excuse that Teyla and Ronan are the 'wraith experts' any more. The atlantis expedition has had enough experience with the wraith to know just about all they need to know by now and the fact they have 'Todd' helping them out as well and all..

Also you really can't compare the unintelligent 'I just want to kill stuff' Ronan to the legend that is Teal'c. T contributed WAY more to an SG1 episode than Ronan does in a SGA episode.

Major_Griff
December 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM
People forget that in the early days of SG-1 Teal'c spent alot of time standing in the background doing nothing especially in science related situations and SGC bases eps where there was no shooting to do. The only difference on SGA is that we have two characters who do that with Teyla and Ford/Ronon. not only that but Ronon and Teyla are male/female version of each other as far as their function to the team.

andromeda_dan
December 8th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Walter's bingo joke make's Tealc's Satesh joke sound rib cracking hilarious:tealc:

Emme
December 8th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I think that the Walter/Ronon scene gave a good feel for how frustrated Ronan was. When Shep came in and said " I have someone for you to point your gun at" I thought the same as Ronon - about time.
It also illustrated how life goes on. When a major event like Rodney and Jeanie *SP* going missing doesn't affect everyone. Ronon was pe occupied with the situation whilst Walter was jibbering away on a normal day for him. Just my musings....