PDA

View Full Version : New Earth Energy weapon?

2ndgenerationalteran
December 1st, 2007, 02:27 AM
When the Mckays were trying to escape for the first time and rodney got shot it looked much like a taser but the CG made visible blue electical currents engulf him. Previously the tasers had no additional effects and made a clicking noise, none happened this happened this time. So was that just a mistake or did our energy weapons tech have a significant leap?

jenks
December 1st, 2007, 03:37 AM
That's what I thought when I saw it, I'll have pause it and have a better look later...

JSPuddlejumper
December 1st, 2007, 04:52 AM
Tasers.

CGI hiccup.

jenks
December 1st, 2007, 05:37 AM
I've just had another look, and I don't think they were you know...

The_Carpenter
December 1st, 2007, 05:42 AM
Reverse engineered Zat guns? I suppose they wouldn't be too difficult to make if you know the energy wavelength.

McSwift
December 1st, 2007, 05:46 AM
Tasers.

CGI hiccup.

Nope. It wasn't a CGI hiccup. If you look at Mckay's back, you can see a little plug that is connected to his clothes.

I was going to say.
Nice.
We got ourselves a human made Zat!

jenks
December 1st, 2007, 05:50 AM
Must be some new design at least though, because there are no wires...

SaberBlade
December 1st, 2007, 08:01 AM
I thought it was a reversed engineered zat.

I never noticed any plugs on his back, but it's possible that they aren't able to discharge the energy like a normal zat so like an Intar, the charge itself stored with a type of bullet that is released on impact. It could be considered a improved (more lethal) Intar or a reversed zat with the qualities of an Intar.

Integrabyte
December 1st, 2007, 08:03 AM
Nope. It wasn't a CGI hiccup. If you look at Mckay's back, you can see a little plug that is connected to his clothes.

I was going to say.
Nice.
We got ourselves a human made Zat!

I would not count on that. The used the wrong ship in Camelot to represent the Asgard...its a goof...

kymeric
December 1st, 2007, 08:47 AM
Noticed that to, its pretty sweet.

Seriously the only diff between a zat and a taser is the wires.

Its good to see *****in new earth tech.

Jeffala
December 1st, 2007, 08:50 AM
I was thinking taser and I saw the "button" on his back. My guess was that the electricity crackling around him was artistic license.

Vala_M
December 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM
I saw that piece as well. I prefer the zat since I'm sure like regular guns, you'd need more bullets.

Vala,

s09119
December 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
Anyone have a screencap of that shot? Because I honestly did not see wires or anything... I was hoping it was an Earth-made zat.

Jeffala
December 1st, 2007, 09:37 AM
I saw that piece as well. I prefer the zat since I'm sure like regular guns, you'd need more bullets.

Vala,

Though there was one benefit over a zat: less noise.

Redhooks
December 1st, 2007, 09:41 AM
Anyone have a screencap of that shot? Because I honestly did not see wires or anything... I was hoping it was an Earth-made zat.
It looks like a projectile to me with no wires sort of like a tranquilizer dart, but with electric shock instead of a chemical. Here is a screencap.
Spoilered for size.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z147/redhooks/Misc/SGA%20Pics/RodneyTaserMC02.jpg

Wraith_Boy
December 1st, 2007, 09:48 AM
It's deffo not an energy weapon.

I'd say it was a new version of the taser. Right at the end you can see the barb stuck in his back (right at the top of the shoulder blade, metallic stem with black endcap). The only differennce is that there are no wires & this incapacitates a victim instead of just temporarily restraining them.

We saw a normal taser being used in 'Critical Mass' & they didn't show the electricity flowing through the body.

So you have to assume that his company were given a zat to try & reverse engineer. However they weren't quite up to the task of getting it to the same as Goa'uld level. The best was a modified taser that fired a wireless barb. It hits the body & releases the electricity that disables the victim.

Nothing spectacular compared to a zat, stunner, Traveler, Asuran or Lantean weapons but still pretty cool anyways!

Would love to see them using something like that on Atlantis vs the Wraith. Maybe someone is captured or they needed something. They grab it from a 304 armoury aboard the Apollo, Daedalus etc. Beam down & zap a Wraith. Have always been curious to see what a zat would do vs a Wraith. So this would be the next best thing. Alhough I doubt we'll get to see it being used again anytime soon!

P2J
December 1st, 2007, 10:02 AM
might be a earth prototype for a zat gun or a wratih stunner

s09119
December 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Hmm, I like it. Sure, ti still needs "bullets", so to speak, but it's Earth's first self-made energy-based incap weapon!

I hope to see these join the Atlantis arsenal a lot now, insetad of stolen Wraith stunners.

December 1st, 2007, 10:30 AM
We already have wireless tasers in real life:

http://www.taser.com/products/law/Pages/XREP.aspx

This is a taser projectile that fires from a regular shotgun. So there's no reason that the ones in the SGA episode had to be reverse-engineered zats.

SaberBlade
December 1st, 2007, 10:52 AM
I seriously doubt that any current taser weapon currently in production or use (like the 'Critical Mass' gun) create a visible eletrical charge when someone is shot.

The effect was very much like a zat, and it makes sense that sooner or later a version of the weapon would be done for human use, be it military security or just earth based SGC operations (as they can't always conceal a zat).

wkw427
December 1st, 2007, 11:25 AM
It was there to make it look good.. thats all

rpmguitar
December 1st, 2007, 11:56 AM
I'm curious what happened to the energy weapon that carter and dr. lee demonstrated at that science expo. maybe a variation of that?

garhkal
December 1st, 2007, 02:32 PM
But it makes you wonder how that doctor got his hands on them..

Dutch_Razor
December 1st, 2007, 03:10 PM
I seriously doubt that any current taser weapon currently in production or use (like the 'Critical Mass' gun) create a visible eletrical charge when someone is shot.

The effect was very much like a zat, and it makes sense that sooner or later a version of the weapon would be done for human use, be it military security or just earth based SGC operations (as they can't always conceal a zat).

I'm not sure it's even probable for that to happen, the current can pass through the body easier than through the air :S

Probably artistic license as said before.

L˙mendil
December 1st, 2007, 04:08 PM
So you have to assume that his company were given a zat to try & reverse engineer. However they weren't quite up to the task of getting it to the same as Goa'uld level. The best was a modified taser that fired a wireless barb. It hits the body & releases the electricity that disables the victim.

That shouldn't be possible, seeing as the guy wasn't even supposed to know about the stargate. Why would the SGC give him something so obviously alien to reverse engineer if he isn't even supposed to know aliens exist.

If I understood correctly, his company specializes in some kind of R&D. Maybe this was just one of their "normal" projects and didn't really have anything to do with the stargate program, just the military in general.

DeRoest
December 1st, 2007, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure it's even probable for that to happen, the current can pass through the body easier than through the air :S

Probably artistic license as said before.
I agree. nothing alien, just dramatic effect. they would have commented on it, if it were some kind of new weapon

jenks
December 1st, 2007, 05:11 PM
Noticed that to, its pretty sweet.

Seriously the only diff between a zat and a taser is the wires.

Its good to see *****in new earth tech.

I'm yet to see a taser that can make you disappear. :)

Lord batchi ball
December 1st, 2007, 05:37 PM
Basically it was a taser with no wires. Maybe the charge was held in the electrode in rodeny's back.

Xaeden
December 1st, 2007, 06:45 PM
I agree. nothing alien, just dramatic effect. they would have commented on it, if it were some kind of new weapon

There was no way to work in a comment without making it look forced and unnatural. You can't have the guards saying something like; "These new reverse engineered weapons work great," after Mckay and his sister fell and you can't have Henry mention it as the next time we see him, the scene calls for him to be upset that they would leave his daughter to die and to have him ramble an explaination about a gun would ruin it. And those are the only people that even appear to know about it (all Mckay and his sister know is that they were stunned, by what they have no idea).

Mitchell82
December 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM

Yeah it's likely a new prototype stun weapon.

thekillman
December 2nd, 2007, 05:47 AM
dammit finally it seems like we get a zat and no, its a tazer. WHY CANT EARTH HAVE HOME MADE ZATS?

Beckmen
December 5th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I really think it's a reverse-engineered zat. Probably built by the group using specs the SGC gave them or something. It's not as cool as a zat (the projectile) intentionally, to make the tech seem not as futuristic to the general public. IMO a good example of the kind of consumer tech coming out of the Stargate project.

andromeda_dan
December 5th, 2007, 10:36 AM
the weapon used on Rodney is a stun gun. It fires a 'plug' that is then remotely controlled by the gun to regulate the amount of voltage to the person it is attached to. Watch the scene where Rodney hit the ground and you will see the plug sticking out of his back. http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-14-2006/0004281420&EDATE