Carter?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carter?!?!

Last time I checked wasn't Carter roughly the Universe's foremost expert on Replicator code, right behind the late Thor & formerly Ancient O'Neill? Why wouldn't Rodney have brought her to save the life of his sister (possibly in addition to the Wraith)?

Why would Landry, O'Neill, and/or Woolsey allow a Wraith to come to Earth (who previously hid a subspace transponder/tracking device on himself to reveal Atlantis' location to his brethren) to save a solitary, non-Military, non-American woman?
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Last time I checked, Carter now has a full time job as the leader of Atlantis. It boggles me why people think just because she's capable of doing all these things, doesn't mean she has time to do them. (Yes, even on a science fiction show, normal constraints like time can be a factor! *gaspOH-NOgasp*)
    sigpic
    It was Arrested Development

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
      Last time I checked wasn't Carter roughly the Universe's foremost expert on Replicator code, right behind the late Thor & formerly Ancient O'Neill? Why wouldn't Rodney have brought her to save the life of his sister (possibly in addition to the Wraith)?

Why would Landry, O'Neill, and/or Woolsey allow a Wraith to come to Earth (who previously hid a subspace transponder/tracking device on himself to reveal Atlantis' location to his brethren) to save a solitary, non-Military, non-American woman?
      All good points...

Ace
      "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Ripple does have a point though. Not having the time to do something like this is a great example of why Carter should NOT be in charge, of Atlantis or anything else for that matter, IMHO. I think it's a rabid misuse of resources. I'd prefer to keep people doing what they are the best at rather than lose them to "administrative duties". Such a waste. But then again, just my personal opinion.
        Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
        Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

lol does not being american make your life less valuable or something?

your other points like hidden transponder make sense.
          sigpic

Comment

Carter is too busy monitoring coffee inventories and making sure Chuck doesn't take extra breaks.

I swear the poor lady lost at least 100 IQ points since she came to Atlantis.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
              Thats what I said! Maybe a movie or something will happen with the Wraith coming to Earth and SG-1/Atlantis has to stop it? Who knows....

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                Carter is too busy monitoring coffee inventories and making sure Chuck doesn't take extra breaks.

I swear the poor lady lost at least 100 IQ points since she came to Atlantis.
                *dies* brilliant!

I was thinking that where the hell is Carter? She is a replicator expert! She was there with Ba'al and Selmak when they got rid of her... so WTH!?
                And where does the leader go when they try to make someone feed themselves to the wraith? Bad, bad writing...

Comment

Carter may be experienced with the replicators, but never before has she had to study or alter their code. Carter wouldn't have exactly been the best choice but that said, it's not like Jeanie has ever been in that situation before. In a weird way, it's sort of like saying Sam isn't as smart as Jeanie.

While that may not be the case, because we don't know Sam's full duties on Alantis, it does give the impression that they'd rather translate the code and send it in burst transmissions rather than getting the one person on Atlantis who's smarter than McKay to work on it.

I could come up with a few reasons why Carter shouldn't work on the code (doesn't understand Ancient, hasn't worked with replicator base code before) but in the end Jeanie has even less experience. I would definitely have to agree that Carter's IQ seems to have dropped 100 or so points as she's now as helpful as Weir in a scientific crisis.

As for the Wraith on base, look at what the Goa'uld did to Cassie and even Ryac, yet Goa'uld have still been allowed on base with god knows what type of booby traps or hidden items that could kill us all on several different occasions.

I think the biggest problem was giving the Wraith access to computers that had the ability to upload files to the nanites. We have no idea how those computers were networked. He could have sent a burst transmission (unless AOL does a galaxy to galaxy email service) signalling the Wraith leading them right to Earth, or at least found the gate address for the planet.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wheresmyfroggy View Post
                    Last time I checked, Carter now has a full time job as the leader of Atlantis. It boggles me why people think just because she's capable of doing all these things, doesn't mean she has time to do them. (Yes, even on a science fiction show, normal constraints like time can be a factor! *gaspOH-NOgasp*)
                    Love the sarcasm... No you're right, it makes loads of sense that McKay would rather die (literally, as-in feed himself to the Wraith) than to peel Carter away from delegation duties .

Originally posted by KiLL3r View Post
                    lol does not being american make your life less valuable or something?

your other points like hidden transponder make sense.
                    I was referring to Landry, Jack, and Woolsey's POVs (I think Woolsey may have even put a $$$ value on SGC personnel in an ep). To them American military are more valuable than a regular human. And I just don't see any of them jumping on the "risk Earth to save a Canadian civilian" bandwagon.
                    sigpic
                    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                    ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                      Carter may be experienced with the replicators, but never before has she had to study or alter their code. Carter wouldn't have exactly been the best choice but that said, it's not like Jeanie has ever been in that situation before. In a weird way, it's sort of like saying Sam isn't as smart as Jeanie.

While that may not be the case, because we don't know Sam's full duties on Alantis, it does give the impression that they'd rather translate the code and send it in burst transmissions rather than getting the one person on Atlantis who's smarter than McKay to work on it.

I could come up with a few reasons why Carter shouldn't work on the code (doesn't understand Ancient, hasn't worked with replicator base code before) but in the end Jeanie has even less experience. I would definitely have to agree that Carter's IQ seems to have dropped 100 or so points as she's now as helpful as Weir in a scientific crisis.

As for the Wraith on base, look at what the Goa'uld did to Cassie and even Ryac, yet Goa'uld have still been allowed on base with god knows what type of booby traps or hidden items that could kill us all on several different occasions.

I think the biggest problem was giving the Wraith access to computers that had the ability to upload files to the nanites. We have no idea how those computers were networked. He could have sent a burst transmission (unless AOL does a galaxy to galaxy email service) signalling the Wraith leading them right to Earth, or at least found the gate address for the planet.
                      The thing is, the Goa'uld know where Earth is, they always have. The whole deal in Atlantis is keeping the Wraith away from Earth. If the Wraith could get to Milky Way there would be a huge battle.
                      sigpic
                      ~David Hewlett

Comment

The wraith probably didn't even know he was on earth. All he would have seen was a different looking stargate and a military facility. He may well have been able to guess at where he was, but even then that wont do him much good because he doesn't know how to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                          The wraith probably didn't even know he was on earth. All he would have seen was a different looking stargate and a military facility. He may well have been able to guess at where he was, but even then that wont do him much good because he doesn't know how to get there.
                          Well considering he would have seen a different stargate than Pegasus standard (at midway if they used it, or in the SGC when he left), I think it wouldn't be too hard for him to figure out they were in a new galaxy. So Earth or not, that location would be gold because of the potential population to feed on. With computer access, you never know because we've seen how a networked computer can be used to screw plans over (like the Wraith did in season 2 and McKay did in this episode when he tried to escape).

sigpic

Comment

i SERIOUSLY doubt hidden transponders would work across galaxies.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                              Well considering he would have seen a different stargate than Pegasus standard (at midway if they used it, or in the SGC when he left), I think it wouldn't be too hard for him to figure out they were in a new galaxy. So Earth or not, that location would be gold because of the potential population to feed on. With computer access, you never know because we've seen how a networked computer can be used to screw plans over (like the Wraith did in season 2 and McKay did in this episode when he tried to escape).
                              who said he had access to a networked computer?

Comment

Working...
                              X