• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi's TIN MAN miniseries

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/130....html#50017805

SCI FI Channel's 'Tin Man': If It Only Had A Heart

A review. Excerpt:

There are definitely some fun moments. The mini is basically a sequence of chases and escapes as DG races to find a powerful emerald crystal with an evil witch in hot pursuit. There are palaces and underground cities, and dungeons and beautiful mountain lakes.

However, the overlay of glittery production values cannot disguise Tin Man’s core problem: lame dialog and plot devices lifted straight from the Grand List of Overused Science Fiction Cliches.

"Gee," said the mathematically inclined middle schooler who watched with me, "I can write better dialog than that. And I'm not exactly the best at dialog writing in my class."

His Dad walked in, took a quick look at the evil, sultry, power-mad witch (Azkadellia) clad in full-length black with big shoulder feathers, and said, "Ooooh, Darth Vixen!" -- then promptly lost interest and sacked out in front of the blazing fireplace.

Tin Man is a rip-off cloned from at least ten sci fi/fantasy favorites, including (but not limited to): Lord of the Rings, Wicked, Snow White, Star Trek TOS Vulcan mind melds, Dune, Indiana Jones, the Star Wars bar scene, a VERY obvious Ewok village right out of George Lucas' Willow, Around The World in Eighty Days plus a smattering of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Stargate SG-1, and even Dr. Zhivago.

Tin Man cost a reported $19 million. According to Variety: Sci Fi's license fee will cover less than half of the production budget, so RHI gets the international rights to "Tin Man," with no participation by Sci Fi's parent, NBC Universal. Sci Fi gets multirun, multiyear exclusive rights to the mini in the U.S.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Boy, either Emily got all of the good genes, or she's had work done, because she has a classic beauty, and Zoe is cute at best...
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Comment

I hope this is good because it looks good but not sure yet

And I think Zoe is beautiful
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Sure by regular person standards she's attractive, but Emily has a model quality.
        sigpic
        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
        ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
          Sure by regular person standards she's attractive, but Emily has a model quality.
          I'm not invested in this argument and yet... I have to agree. Emily's bone structure is lovely and they both have pretty eyes. Was watching Bones last night and I made note of that. Fortunately they both have careers and lives so I doubt it matters much.

But on the topic at hand... I plan to watch the miniseries (or at least the first night) and determine for myself how good it is. I'm not really expecting a whole lot.. which is the appropriate approach for all things Sci Fi Channel. i caught a glimpse of the "making of" special and it looks visually appealing but the producers/directors (whomever) kept going on about the depth of the story and I can't help but think they're overselling. There is nothing deep about self discovery. It's the theme of every teen drama and as such unremarkable.

I've noticed that Sci Fi series, barring Galactica seem to be really going for family appeal..very PG. I think they'd get better critical reviews if they upped the ante a bit and took on something more meaningful rather than campy, formulaic horror, and lollipop fantasy.
          Last edited by MarshAngel; 28 November 2007, 05:26 AM.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel View Post
            I'm not invested in this argument and yet... I have to agree. Emily's bone structure is lovely and they both have pretty eyes. Was watching Bones last night and I made note of that. Fortunately they both have careers and lives so I doubt it matters much.

But on the topic at hand... I plan to watch the miniseries (or at least the first night) and determine for myself how good it is. I'm not really expecting a whole lot.. which is the appropriate approach for all things Sci Fi Channel. i caught a glimpse of the "making of" special and it looks visually appealing but the producers/directors (whomever) kept going on about the depth of the story and I can't help but think they're overselling. There is nothing deep about self discovery. It's the theme of every teen drama and as such unremarkable.

I've noticed that Sci Fi series, barring Galactica seem to be really going for family appeal..very PG. I think they'd get better critical reviews if they upped the ante a bit and took on something more meaningful rather than campy, formulaic horror, and lollipop fantasy.
            Definitely a better, more relevant post than mine, lol. But back to my offshoot... Since the first time I saw Bones, I noticed that Emily has this classic beauty/model quality, that is very uncommon in 2007. Our current standards of attractiveness steer more closely to the Jessica Simpson/Barbie look.
            sigpic
            ~David Hewlett

Comment

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11302007..._oz_849976.htm

AGAINST ALL OZ
              'Tin Man' drops house on Dorothy

November 30, 2007 -- STOP them before they make a TV show again!
              For reasons I wish I understood, the Halmis - father and son, Robert and Robert, who have produced some of the worst TV miniseries in modern history - have done it again.

This time it's the SciFi channel that's let them run wild, rampant and ruinous with a miniseries called "Tin Man," which they refer to as a "re-imagining" of the classic movie and tale, "The Wizard of Oz."

Why they call it "Tin Man" is as puzzling as why these producers still can find work.

REST OF SAVAGE REVIEW at link above

Comment

I am now going to give this show a chance. But not getting my hopes up
                Doze Out...

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Comment

I might tune in. I've given up expecting much from Scifi these days, so perhaps, I'll be impressed if I can survive the thousands of commercials I'll have to endure just to see if the mini-series is any good.
                  "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I'll probably end up watching it. After all, there is no harm in giving it a chance. I'll either be pleasantly surprised, or, it will completely suck. If it sucks, all I have to do is flip the channel.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

i'll take a look at it, but if it gets borin i'll switch the station... course i do work a morn shift this wkend too so i might be too damn tired to stay up and watch it sunday nite... oh well... i guess it all depends on if im home too
                      sigpic

Comment

TBH, the more I hear about this miniseries and the more ads I see, the more I think that its gonna suck.
                        Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                        --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
                          TBH, the more I hear about this miniseries and the more ads I see, the more I think that its gonna suck.
                          Well, one way or the other, we'll all find out tomorrow night.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Already got my DVR set up to record the 3 nights. It looks really good. SCI FI's mini-series usually are very good, like "The Lost Room" and "The Triangle"
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X