This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate Symbols

Can anyone explaine to me the diffrence between the SGA gates as opposed to the SG-1 gates. From the graphics I've seen they use diffrent symbols. Do the new ones just an advanced form of the constallation co-ordinate system like the SG-1 style?
    Alex :: UE Photographer @ Large
    www.alcsnet.com/urbex-milton/
    2 Cor 4:7

They do use different symbols. The actual gate prop doesn't have the symbols on it. They're added digitally later.
    Anyway, it's hard to say how the gate actually works. I don't really know. There are a few other threads on this that you should check out.
    Tripudire est irritus
    Jumping is useless

Nu ani Lunatas
    We are the Mooninites

Comment

Originally posted by WurdBendur
      The actual gate prop doesn't have the symbols on it. They're added digitally later.
      Huh? You sure about that?
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I remember hearing something to that effect too...
        O'Neill: "Well, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it."
        Bra'tac: "No, the bridge is too well guarded."

Comment

I really dont
          "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

The symbols on the gate itself have to be different though, because Pegasus is an entirely different galaxy and has different recognizable star patterns than that of the Milky Way. If you think back to the movie, DJ recognizes that the gate symbols are indeed stellar constellations.

Comment

yeh thats pretty much right, so itll be cos there are different signs in the other galaxy!
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Indeed. We have seen examples of star mapping with both the Tollan, Tok'Ra and even the Tau'ri to a small extent have used it (think of the star map at the SGC.) Your perspective changes as you move around a given galaxy and/or universe.

Comment

They are added later. If you watch Rising again when they first dial the gate "Chevron 1 encoded" etc. when they show a closeup of the cheverons, you can see the dots from the glyphs actually shining, more like the shadow of, through the chevrons where they shouldn't be. It must be a rendering prob.
                  Before this day is done, I will feed on your buttery defiance

Comment

I'm 99% sure the dots on the glyphs are actually small lights on the gate. Heck, just check out the thread in General Discussion by the guy who just visited the set. He posted a link to where you can see many of his personal photos taken on the set, and lo and behold - the Atlantis gate has shiny glyphs on it. I doubt the visual effects people digitally alter all the photos guests on the set take...

Comment

I just looked at the part in rising, and you can see the shadows of the glyphs shining through the chevrons. Either the chevrons are made of a much much thinner material than I thought, or they dots have been added, or enhanced after.

Comment

Think about it... Why would they build the gate in such a way that they'd need to CGI in the glyphs every single time the gate is used when they could just make it a practical prop with lights and be done with it? That would make no sense whatsoever.

Comment

I just checked the Atlantis preview on the 'Lost City' DVD. There's some footage of the shooting of 'Rising' in it, and one can clearly see the stargate with the glyphs all lit up on the set. So it's definately "real" and not added digitally.

Comment

This is a screen capture from "Rising" when they dial the gate out of atlantis the first time. It is taken just before the 7th chevron locks. You can see the dots of light in front of the chevrons. Click on it to zoom a little.
                            Attached Files

Comment

They are real I think but they might tweak the appearance a little because
                              they look pretty detailed on the show.

Comment

Working...
                              X