Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul McGillion in limited run play, Dec 12-16 in Vancouver

thanks to the the savecarsonbeckett list for the tip

Paul McGillion will star in the stage comedy called 'Reservations for Four', a follow up to the award winning 'Reservations for Two' (which Paul also produced and directed). The play also stars 'See Grace Fly' co-star Gina Chiarelli (Grace), as well as Brendan Beiser (the prince regent from SGA's 'The Tower') and Nicola Rollett.

Dates have been confirmed as:

December 12th - 16th

The show runs 1 hour and performance times are as follows:

8 PM Wednesday Dec 12
    8 PM Thursday Dec 13
    8 PM & 10 PM Friday Dec 14
    8 PM & 10 PM Saturday Dec 15
    5 PM & 8 PM Sunday Dec 16

Showing at: The Havana Theatre, 1212 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC

Tickets are available from:
    $17.50 at www.ticketstonight.ca
    $20 at 604 231-753
    or $15 at the door (cash only)

------------

Anybody going??

I am totally going to this. I've been looking for info on it since he mentioned it at the NJ Con. Thanks for the info!

Here's the complete link for it if anyone is interested: http://www.ticketstonight.ca/tickets...ls.php?id=1645
    Last edited by GateByte; 22 November 2007, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GateByte View Post
      I am totally going to this. I've been looking for info on it since he mentioned it at the NJ Con. Thanks for the info!

Here's the complete link for it if anyone is interested: http://www.ticketstonight.ca/tickets...ls.php?id=1645
      have fun!!

Comment

ooo. I wanna go. It's happening during my finals, but its Paul McGillion! So, i'm gonna get a ticket at the door if i can make it

Comment

I'm up for this! I haven't seen a play in ages and Paul McGillion as well, sounds good to me! Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
            I'm up for this! I haven't seen a play in ages and Paul McGillion as well, sounds good to me! Thanks for the info.
            Enjoy! have fun. report back

Comment

who's going to the Wednesday one?

Comment

I went to it tonight, wrote up a little report:

Reservations for Four

It's not really detailed (as my memory was clouded by much laughter), but hope it's useful to some people .

Comment

Originally posted by GateByte View Post
                  I went to it tonight, wrote up a little report:

Reservations for Four

It's not really detailed (as my memory was clouded by much laughter), but hope it's useful to some people .
                  Thank you, GateByte, for sharing!

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                  SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                  Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Went to see 'Reservations For Four' today and what a great experience it was. Fantastic writing and brilliant acting made it a riveting hilarious 55 minutes!!

The program states "Warning! Dating can be Hazardous to your health" After seeing superb portrayals of some totally weird people it made me glad that I was married and out of the dating game!!! LOL!

One act had Paul McGillion on the receiving end of a woman who was trying to hide the fact that she just thought all men were out for the one thing and "wooing" was just a facade they put on to lull women into a false sense of security. It was hilarious as she was trying to hide her anger at all men yet trying to carry on with the date and then erupting into a tirade with a poor terrified Paul on the receiving end!! Paul does the hapless, really don't want to be there guy wonderfully!

In another act Paul turned up dressed in the sort of sweater that an aunt knitted and gives for Christmas. I couldn't stop laughing seeing him in this, looking like a 'wimpish, mamma's boy'. First impressions are not what they seem as he starts casually throwing out brash offensive comments in the conversation, shocking his date's brother and wife who they were having dinner with. Of course the sister can see nothing wrong with this guy through the rose coloured spectacles of infatuation. In the end as the shocked brother accuses him of being a bigot and racist on which he comes back with examples that refute the brother's accusations making him out to be the angel in the end. Still, you were left believing he was really the ace bulls****er! Brilliant performance!

A different Paul McGillion here, showcasing his wide range and wonderful acting ability. It was a joy to see him in action as I just love his performance in SGA. The rest of the cast were as fantastic making it a worthwhile fun evening out.

The venue as GateByte said was small and we got front row seats too. Paul McGillion almost stepped on my toes as he backed away from the 'crazy' woman in the final scene!!! It was that small and in your face!!! I loved it, it was like having a performance by these wonderful actors in your own living room.

We also had an excellent meal in the bar/restaurant that you had to walk through to get to a sort of waiting area. In there was a display of some nice artwork by a local artist of various Vancouver scenes. If I had $850 I would have bought one of them.
                    Last edited by Krisz; 16 December 2007, 10:19 AM. Reason: Spelling!!McGillon instead of McGillion...unforgivable!!

Comment

Thanks, Krisz, for the play review!

Lucky you to have been able to attend.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

A review:

http://www.straight.com/article-1253...tions-for-four

GEORGIA STRAIGHT

Reservations for four
                        By Colin Thomas

Publish Date: December 20, 2007
                        By Michael P. Northey, Chris Matheson, and Lori Goodman. Directed by Rick Dobran and Michael P. Northey. Presented by Peg Leg Jack Productions Co-op. At the Havana Theatre on Wednesday, December 12. No remaining performances

Vancouver's Michael P. Northey, who wrote three of the four short plays that make up this evening, possesses a genuine gift. Sometimes it's obscured here–especially by mis?*ogyny–but when it shines through, the results are bracingly original.

All four stories are set in restaurants. In Northey's Peaches, which is by far the most successful script, Brad and Katherine await the arrival of Brad's sister Violet and her new boyfriend, Eddie. Brad is worried because Violet is overly dependent on his opinion of the men she dates. But when Eddie arrives, he pulls the power structure inside out.

At first, he simply seems coarse. He hugs Katherine, whom he's just met, and announces, "Uh-oh. I think I've got wood!" Fortunately, Peaches takes the comedy of transgression further than boner jokes. Eddie makes comments that could appear to be anti-black and anti-Semitic, but when Brad calls him racist, Eddie wins the other diners over by telling a sob story about his black African uncle and revealing that he himself is a Jew.

There can be pleasure in the chaos that comedy releases. It is fun to be swept away by Eddie's energy when he skewers the rational, supposedly in-control Brad, pausing occasionally to stick his tongue down Violet's throat. There is substance here, too: the script wittily exploits the tensions surrounding who's allowed to say what, and under what circumstances.

Throughout the evening, the cast of four was fantastic, but Paul McGillion, playing Eddie, was the standout in Peaches. There's a kind of unstoppable aggression simmering in his deadpan delivery.

rest at link above

Comment

Working...
                        X