So the Athosians ... do we care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the Athosians ... do we care?

Am I the only one who doesn't actually care that the Athosians are gone. I mean, it's sad for Teyla and all, but it's like hearing "Earthquake kills 75 in Elbonia".

If I read that in the newspaper, I'll go "Oh, how sad." or something and feel bad that some random people died but my heart won't break or I won't start to cry.

And the same thing happened with the Athosians. Even when it was uncertain whether they were still alive (like the writers would actually kill off the entire Athosians people without showing it), I didn't really care. Why? Because we haven't seen them for ages. They've become the equivalent of faceless Elbonians.

Let's see, it's been over a year (real life time if you watched the Canadian broadcast or a rip off it, if you saw the Sci-Fi airing, then it's been over 6 months) since we last saw them! And when was the last time a named Athosian (not counting Teyla) was seen (or spoke for that matter)? That's right, Critical Mass from season 2!

The Athosians have become so unengaging I don't care about them anymore. Anyone who feels the same way?

I do agree with you,
    In season one we had some named athosians (Jinto, Halling) and somehow, someday, *Poof* they stop appearing on screen.
    I think if we had seen them in season 2 & 3,(once or twice) we'd miss them more.

Comment

probaly to give a story for teyla like ronan with the sateadans
      sigpic

Comment

The only part that interests me is what the seer said, that they're 'Shrouded in darkness', other than that, not really.

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
          probaly to give a story for teyla like ronan with the sateadans
          I think it's more like Daniel when Sha're got Goa'uld-ed. I'm not sure I care that the Athosians are missing when it gets right down to it. I was more upset when they killed off the Tollan in SG1, but it's a good plot device to light a fire under the characters feet to go and do something.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
            I think it's more like Daniel when Sha're got Goa'uld-ed. I'm not sure I care that the Athosians are missing when it gets right down to it. I was more upset when they killed off the Tollan in SG1, but it's a good plot device to light a fire under the characters feet to go and do something.
            Well, the Tollans were a relevant race in the Milky Way. They were capable of defending themselves against the Go'uld and we wanted their technology. Not sure what value the Athosians provided Atlantis beyond season 1 when Atlantis' link to earth was restored.

Comment

yeah, same here
              i don't give a &#$% about the athosians
              http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4...tributedc0.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                Am I the only one who doesn't actually care that the Athosians are gone. I mean, it's sad for Teyla and all, but it's like hearing "Earthquake kills 75 in Elbonia".

If I read that in the newspaper, I'll go "Oh, how sad." or something and feel bad that some random people died but my heart won't break or I won't start to cry.

And the same thing happened with the Athosians. Even when it was uncertain whether they were still alive (like the writers would actually kill off the entire Athosians people without showing it), I didn't really care. Why? Because we haven't seen them for ages. They've become the equivalent of faceless Elbonians.

Let's see, it's been over a year (real life time if you watched the Canadian broadcast or a rip off it, if you saw the Sci-Fi airing, then it's been over 6 months) since we last saw them! And when was the last time a named Athosian (not counting Teyla) was seen (or spoke for that matter)? That's right, Critical Mass from season 2!

The Athosians have become so unengaging I don't care about them anymore. Anyone who feels the same way?
                I completly disagree.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I do. They were a cool but minor element in S1, and it was a shame that aspect of the story was squandered.

Comment

i care to an extent they are a good people nice and respectable and since we bought the Wraith to there homeworld they can't live there anymore , and we are responsible for them now, so them missing is important Teyla need her people, like we need our people of earth

now the reason i don't care is

Spoiler:
                    since Kanan maybe the father of Teyla baby and not one of the main characters like we all hoped and prayed(damn), if they find they'll be reunited ( and it feels so good) and Teyla will forget about Atlantis and everything, i really like her , i often wonder what the writers are going to do with her character and a baby, weird??

that makes me madder then a yak in heat- Marge Simpson
                    sigpic
                    May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

I don't mind that we haven't seen the Athosians in a long time. As far as their disappearance, to me it's not really about them missing, it's really all about the impact that it has on Teyla that is the real storyline.

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post
                        I don't mind that we haven't seen the Athosians in a long time. As far as their disappearance, to me it's not really about them missing, it's really all about the impact that it has on Teyla that is the real storyline.
                        I think you made a very good point. I don't really care what happens to the Athosians because they've never played a big part in SGA (except for the first few eps pehaps). however it is important how their 'disappearance' will affect Teyla. we already saw some of that in Missing and I'm looking forward to future eps concerning this
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I have to agree with you. The hundred or so Athosians really aren’t very interesting, except in relation to Teyla, though, if Kanan survives, he might be.
                          Originally posted by MIZA View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          since Kanan maybe the father of Teyla baby and not one of the main characters like we all hoped and prayed(damn)]
                          Puleeeese, speak for yourself only
                          and bite your tounge
                          No ... main ... character ... ships ... ever!
                          sigpic

Comment

Agreed.
                            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

They are insignificant. They could all die, and nobody would care.

Similar to hearing, wow 100 people died in some third world country, or say China or India (100 died, but a million more born) etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X