PDA

View Full Version : So the Athosians ... do we care?

FallenAngelII
November 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't actually care that the Athosians are gone. I mean, it's sad for Teyla and all, but it's like hearing "Earthquake kills 75 in Elbonia".

If I read that in the newspaper, I'll go "Oh, how sad." or something and feel bad that some random people died but my heart won't break or I won't start to cry.

And the same thing happened with the Athosians. Even when it was uncertain whether they were still alive (like the writers would actually kill off the entire Athosians people without showing it), I didn't really care. Why? Because we haven't seen them for ages. They've become the equivalent of faceless Elbonians.

Let's see, it's been over a year (real life time if you watched the Canadian broadcast or a rip off it, if you saw the Sci-Fi airing, then it's been over 6 months) since we last saw them! And when was the last time a named Athosian (not counting Teyla) was seen (or spoke for that matter)? That's right, Critical Mass from season 2!

The Athosians have become so unengaging I don't care about them anymore. Anyone who feels the same way?

Poubelle Man
November 20th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I do agree with you,
In season one we had some named athosians (Jinto, Halling) and somehow, someday, *Poof* they stop appearing on screen.
I think if we had seen them in season 2 & 3,(once or twice) we'd miss them more.

wise one
November 20th, 2007, 11:26 AM
probaly to give a story for teyla like ronan with the sateadans

kirmit
November 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM
The only part that interests me is what the seer said, that they're 'Shrouded in darkness', other than that, not really.

Amalthea
November 20th, 2007, 12:19 PM
probaly to give a story for teyla like ronan with the sateadans

I think it's more like Daniel when Sha're got Goa'uld-ed. I'm not sure I care that the Athosians are missing when it gets right down to it. I was more upset when they killed off the Tollan in SG1, but it's a good plot device to light a fire under the characters feet to go and do something.

DetriusXii
November 20th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I think it's more like Daniel when Sha're got Goa'uld-ed. I'm not sure I care that the Athosians are missing when it gets right down to it. I was more upset when they killed off the Tollan in SG1, but it's a good plot device to light a fire under the characters feet to go and do something.

Well, the Tollans were a relevant race in the Milky Way. They were capable of defending themselves against the Go'uld and we wanted their technology. Not sure what value the Athosians provided Atlantis beyond season 1 when Atlantis' link to earth was restored.

stargate maniack
November 20th, 2007, 12:35 PM
yeah, same here
i don't give a &#$% about the athosians

Mitchell82
November 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't actually care that the Athosians are gone. I mean, it's sad for Teyla and all, but it's like hearing "Earthquake kills 75 in Elbonia".

If I read that in the newspaper, I'll go "Oh, how sad." or something and feel bad that some random people died but my heart won't break or I won't start to cry.

And the same thing happened with the Athosians. Even when it was uncertain whether they were still alive (like the writers would actually kill off the entire Athosians people without showing it), I didn't really care. Why? Because we haven't seen them for ages. They've become the equivalent of faceless Elbonians.

Let's see, it's been over a year (real life time if you watched the Canadian broadcast or a rip off it, if you saw the Sci-Fi airing, then it's been over 6 months) since we last saw them! And when was the last time a named Athosian (not counting Teyla) was seen (or spoke for that matter)? That's right, Critical Mass from season 2!

The Athosians have become so unengaging I don't care about them anymore. Anyone who feels the same way?
I completly disagree.

AutumnDream
November 20th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I do. They were a cool but minor element in S1, and it was a shame that aspect of the story was squandered.

MIZA
November 20th, 2007, 02:46 PM
i care to an extent they are a good people nice and respectable and since we bought the Wraith to there homeworld they can't live there anymore , and we are responsible for them now, so them missing is important Teyla need her people, like we need our people of earth

now the reason i don't care is

since Kanan maybe the father of Teyla baby and not one of the main characters like we all hoped and prayed(damn), if they find they'll be reunited ( and it feels so good) and Teyla will forget about Atlantis and everything, i really like her , i often wonder what the writers are going to do with her character and a baby, weird??

that makes me madder then a yak in heat- Marge Simpson

CalmStorm
November 20th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I don't mind that we haven't seen the Athosians in a long time. As far as their disappearance, to me it's not really about them missing, it's really all about the impact that it has on Teyla that is the real storyline.

Jumper_One
November 20th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I don't mind that we haven't seen the Athosians in a long time. As far as their disappearance, to me it's not really about them missing, it's really all about the impact that it has on Teyla that is the real storyline.

I think you made a very good point. I don't really care what happens to the Athosians because they've never played a big part in SGA (except for the first few eps pehaps). however it is important how their 'disappearance' will affect Teyla. we already saw some of that in Missing and I'm looking forward to future eps concerning this

blue-skyz
November 20th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I have to agree with you. The hundred or so Athosians really arenít very interesting, except in relation to Teyla, though, if Kanan survives, he might be.

since Kanan maybe the father of Teyla baby and not one of the main characters like we all hoped and prayed(damn)]
Puleeeese, speak for yourself only :D
and bite your tounge ;)
No ... main ... character ... ships ... ever!

Avenger
November 20th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Agreed.

JSPuddlejumper
November 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM
They are insignificant. They could all die, and nobody would care.

Similar to hearing, wow 100 people died in some third world country, or say China or India (100 died, but a million more born) etc.

FallenAngelII
November 21st, 2007, 11:00 PM
That's my point exactly. In fact, I did mention this is in the OP. I care about the Athosians in the context of what their disappearance does to Teyla.

But seeing as how the Athosians were a biggish part of season 1 and that they're, you know, Teyla's people, the writers kinda failed with their storyline when it's come down to nobody caring when they all go missing.

DeRoest
November 21st, 2007, 11:12 PM
I do get the fealing that the writers are commiting meta-genocide killing off a race of fictional people. I wish the Athosians could have just stayed on Atlantis. It would have been cool to see the city gain a population of refugees united against the wraith - like Weir describes it once, a colony.

Fenrir Foxz
November 21st, 2007, 11:20 PM
The only part that interests me is what the seer said, that they're 'Shrouded in darkness', other than that, not really.

Yeah same here... after season1 the athosians got left inTeyla's past for the most part, and the didn't really make much of an appearance on the show...

Athosian Death facilitator
November 21st, 2007, 11:32 PM
I have to agree with you. The hundred or so Athosians really arenít very interesting, except in relation to Teyla, though, if Kanan survives, he might be.

Puleeeese, speak for yourself only :D
and bite your tounge ;)
No ... main ... character ... ships ... ever!

It would be interesting if Sheppard and Teyla hooked up and they had one of those moments like in Unending where Vala leaves Daniels quarters as Mitchell runs past.:daniel::vala:=awkward:daniel::vala::cameron:

DeRoest
November 21st, 2007, 11:45 PM
It would be interesting if Sheppard and Teyla hooked up and they had one of those moments like in Unending where Vala leaves Daniels quarters as Mitchell runs past.:daniel::vala:=awkward:daniel::vala::cameron:

do you seriously watch this show for those kind of moments? try soaps. leave stargate alone!

:ronananime16::love::tealcanime23:

MIZA
November 21st, 2007, 11:52 PM
do you seriously watch this show for those kind of moments? try soaps. leave stargate alone!

you do have a point i myself do not wish to see stargate end up like some soap opera , but wonder if they could make a shippy ness or relationships with them cuz that would be cool , epecially :sheppard::teyla:

blue-skyz
November 22nd, 2007, 06:24 AM
you do have a point i myself do not wish to see stargate end up like some soap opera , but wonder if they could make a shippy ness or relationships with them cuz that would be cool , epecially :sheppard::teyla:
No. No it wouldn't. No it wouldn't be cool.

It would be a mess! :S

bluealien
November 22nd, 2007, 06:27 AM
No. No it wouldn't. No it wouldn't be cool.

It would be a mess! :S

Not to me it wouldn't.

kirmit
November 22nd, 2007, 06:36 AM

We already had the team leader and female member of the team thing in SG-1, I wouldn't want to see a rubbish carbon copy.

FallenAngelII
November 22nd, 2007, 06:55 AM
We already had the team leader and female member of the team thing in SG-1, I wouldn't want to see a rubbish carbon copy.
Not to mention how badly that was handled. They didn't even have the guts to have them come out and say it but went with 8 years of innuendo and unspoken UST + "Alternate Universe Shipping".

Mattathias2.0
November 22nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
Because we haven't seen the Athosians since Critical Mass, I'd say I do not miss them as a people. The effect on Teyla is certainly what concerns me most. Not to mention a baby without a father!

MIZA
November 22nd, 2007, 07:38 PM

no we don't there is no proof out there that O'Neill and Carter have any knid of relationship other then then professional superior, so i think with this show it is time for a change that would be very nice , SGA does not have to be like SG-1 , it's a whole new galaxy !!!

nekoi
November 23rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
It's really too early for me to have an opinion as to whether I care or not, but I honestly think that the search for them should lead to an interesting Teyla storyline, though, which is long required for Atlantis.

kirmit
November 23rd, 2007, 07:14 AM
no we don't there is no proof out there that O'Neill and Carter have any knid of relationship other then then professional superior, so i think with this show it is time for a change that would be very nice , SGA does not have to be like SG-1 , it's a whole new galaxy !!!

It doesn't matter if there is an actual relationship we know the feelings are there, we had 8 seasons of them toying around with it. It would be lame imo for teyla and Sheppard to hook up, honestly fans who watched both shows, what are you going to think? To me it would just be a rubbish attempt at ripping off SG-1 with the added bonus of them actually getting together. That is in Atlantis' nature though, rip off SG-1 and try and do better, SG-1 had a few human form replicators, hell lets go one better, lets have a whole race of them, it's the same thing if teyla and sheppard got together. Honestly in 'The Long Goodbye' when that guy possessing sheppard told Teyla he cared for her, more than she knows all it made me do was role my eyes. You said it yourself SGA does not have to be like SG-1 so don't pair up the team leader with the only female member.

FallenAngelII
November 23rd, 2007, 07:45 AM
At least on SG-1, they kept dwelling on the Sam&Jack pairing. Every single season, there'd be some kind of Sam&Jack moment (or two or twelve).

On SGA, they just give out random "hints". And they can't even decide on who to ship John with. Elizabeth, Teyla, heck, there's been some slashy McShep vibes that even the non Slashers picked up on, but with Elizabeth and Teyla, they have him randomly have "moments" with them, like a hug, a (forced) kiss, whatever.

And then we never hear of it ever again. At least if Sam and Jack got together, fans could say "Well, there were two 8 years of 'Will they, won't they'."

What are they gonna do if John and Teyla got together? "Well, there was that one time when an alien consciousness inside of John told her that he cared for her more than she knows and that one time when bug!John kissed Teyla."

Um... yeah.

Avenger
November 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Why do they have to "ship" John with anyone?

Jumper_One
November 23rd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Why do they have to "ship" John with anyone?

I agree. like other's have already said we already got SG-1 ships and there's no reason to introduce one in SGA. it would clearly be a rip off and make TBTB look pretty desperate. I say no ship in Atlantis and let the show continue the way it did the last 8 eps!

PG15
November 23rd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Geez, so a hug is now an implication of romantic feelings?

I don't care who refers to these as "moments"; sometimes a hug or a smile is just them trying to be nice. If you read romantic stuff into it, then you have noone but yourself to blame when it doesn't come up, as chances are that wasn't the intention.

ashman2
November 23rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
To be honest I've never given a rat's arse about the Athosians, they bore me. It's like being back in the Milky Way and meeting yet another yokal tribe with not much to offer on a large scale. Other than Teyla what have the Athosians actually given us? That probably sounds overly harsh but I just don't care about them

Jumper_One
November 23rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Geez, so a hug is now an implication of romantic feelings?

I don't care who refers to these as "moments"; sometimes a hug or a smile is just them trying to be nice. If you read romantic stuff into it, then you have noone but yourself to blame when it doesn't come up, as chances are that wasn't the intention.

were you talking about my post? because I totally agree with you. just hope you didn't misunderstood me :S

PG15
November 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Oh no; I was talking more to FAII and posters in general. No worries. :)

Jumper_One
November 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM

ah okay, I just wanted to make sure ;)

FallenAngelII
November 24th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I would like to point out that I was the first in this thread to derise the interpretation of single quick hugs and such (like after someone nearly died) as "moments of romance".

MIZA
November 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
It doesn't matter if there is an actual relationship we know the feelings are there, we had 8 seasons of them toying around with it. It would be lame imo for teyla and Sheppard to hook up, honestly fans who watched both shows, what are you going to think? To me it would just be a rubbish attempt at ripping off SG-1 with the added bonus of them actually getting together. That is in Atlantis' nature though, rip off SG-1 and try and do better, SG-1 had a few human form replicators, hell lets go one better, lets have a whole race of them, it's the same thing if teyla and sheppard got together. Honestly in 'The Long Goodbye' when that guy possessing sheppard told Teyla he cared for her, more than she knows all it made me do was role my eyes. You said it yourself SGA does not have to be like SG-1 so don't pair up the team leader with the only female member.

Oh come on , i mean that that not being like SG1 such as instead of toying around the relationship like O'Neill and Carter , that John and Teyla actually have a relationship, i mean pretty sure a lot of people are not really sure if O'Neill and Carter are in a relationship at all is was really frustrating, and another thing is Teyla is not the only female member of the team i count Dr. Elizabeth Weir as a team member

The Maneuver
November 24th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Back on topic.

I generally agree with what's been said. It seems that the Athosians have been "missing" for much longer than they actually have. I'm trying to recall, but I think that the first mention of them this season was in the episode where they disappeared. Considering all the stuff that went down with Atlantis the city earlier this year you'd think they'd have been mentioned more often.

I personally think that moving them to the mainland in Season 1 was a dramatic mistake. They would have worked a lot better as a presence in Atlantis.

Jumper_One
November 25th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Back on topic.

I generally agree with what's been said. It seems that the Athosians have been "missing" for much longer than they actually have. I'm trying to recall, but I think that the first mention of them this season was in the episode where they disappeared. Considering all the stuff that went down with Atlantis the city earlier this year you'd think they'd have been mentioned more often.

I personally think that moving them to the mainland in Season 1 was a dramatic mistake. They would have worked a lot better as a presence in Atlantis.

doing what?

Mitchell82
November 25th, 2007, 05:00 PM
doing what?

I'm with you just exactly what would they do? Be decorators, or chefs? Most of her people that were there were women and children.

Jumper_One
November 25th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I'm with you just exactly what would they do? Be decorators, or chefs? Most of her people that were there were women and children.

exactly. I admit they've had an influence on Teyla but other than that I don't see why they'd be important. I can't remember the first eps very good but I do know that I found them somehow annoying (similar to the telepaths on B5 in s5, god how they annoyed me)

Mitchell82
November 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM
exactly. I admit they've had an influence on Teyla but other than that I don't see why they'd be important. I can't remember the first eps very good but I do know that I found them somehow annoying (similar to the telepaths on B5 in s5, god how they annoyed me)

They didn't anoy me I quite liked most especially Jinto and Halling.

ToasterOnFire
November 27th, 2007, 10:00 AM
The writers don't care about the Athosians, so why should I? I didn't even care when it was possible that they had all been killed.

MIZA
November 27th, 2007, 11:25 AM
i don't know if this sounds mean , if they died Teyla would have nowhere else to go , but Atlantis , i believe my other questions is if they are coming back at all

Mitchell82
November 29th, 2007, 01:22 PM
The writers don't care about the Athosians, so why should I? I didn't even care when it was possible that they had all been killed.

Wow really hard on TPTB arent you. They do care and when they disappeared I was quite concerned.

The Maneuver
November 30th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Of course you found them annoying, the writers did nothing with them. I, honestly, found them a little annoying myself. My point is that if they had have stayed on Atlantis, they would have been present in the background. During corridor scenes you'd see some ND Athosians as well as ND Atlantis personel. That would have kept them in the minds of the writers and maybe they would have developed a bit more. We'd have more recurring Athosian characters to interact with the cast. Imagine Star Trek DS9 if a few episodes in all the Bajorans except for Kira decided to go leave the station and go home.

ToasterOnFire
December 1st, 2007, 08:00 AM
Wow really hard on TPTB arent you. They do care and when they disappeared I was quite concerned.
Okay, you just tried to rebut my statement by posting the exact opposite of what I said. Color me unconvinced.

krash
December 2nd, 2007, 09:05 PM

I know I'm new to this part of the sci-fi geek world...but have you looked at all the various "ship" threads around here? I think alot of them do. :ronananime17:

I admit they've had an influence on Teyla but other than that I don't see why they'd be important.
Maybe cause they're her neighbors and friends, as well as the first people who helped out the Atlantis expedition when they first arrived in this galaxy? But who cares...we got what we needed out of them? That's some moral high ground you're coming from there. :tealcanime49:

I'll admit that after the first couple episodes of them hanging around on Atlantis, the writers were probably afraid of turning these people into the endless supply of DS9 walking extras...and decided to relocate them off world. That being said, I think it'd be important for the Atlantis team to find out what happened to the Athosians.

Earlier someone compared it to hearing about some massive disaster in some third world country, and asked "who cares." Now imagine that you've become close friends with your next door neighbor, who happens to be from that part of the world. Not knowing if everyone they grew up with is live or dead...but you claim to be their friend (or are you just using her for her expertise in something) and say "who cares?"

I'm sorry if the Athosians never perfected their reality TV show to amuse you, but total apathey for their possible demise...just cause they're not here to amuse you...is a pretty low standard.

Here's an idea: maybe one of the Athosians kinda likes that second from the left girl scientist in episode #81...let's start a "ship" thread to discuss that; and maybe the writers will keep some of them alive? :lol:

Jumper_One
December 3rd, 2007, 07:50 AM
Maybe cause they're her neighbors and friends, as well as the first people who helped out the Atlantis expedition when they first arrived in this galaxy? But who cares...we got what we needed out of them? That's some moral high ground you're coming from there. :tealcanime49:

I'll admit that after the first couple episodes of them hanging around on Atlantis, the writers were probably afraid of turning these people into the endless supply of DS9 walking extras...and decided to relocate them off world. That being said, I think it'd be important for the Atlantis team to find out what happened to the Athosians.

Earlier someone compared it to hearing about some massive disaster in some third world country, and asked "who cares." Now imagine that you've become close friends with your next door neighbor, who happens to be from that part of the world. Not knowing if everyone they grew up with is live or dead...but you claim to be their friend (or are you just using her for her expertise in something) and say "who cares?"

I'm sorry if the Athosians never perfected their reality TV show to amuse you, but total apathey for their possible demise...just cause they're not here to amuse you...is a pretty low standard.

Here's an idea: maybe one of the Athosians kinda likes that second from the left girl scientist in episode #81...let's start a "ship" thread to discuss that; and maybe the writers will keep some of them alive? :lol:

I think you misunderstood me. first of all I do like the Athosians and I really want to know what happened to them too. yes they're the first people we met in the PG but as you yourself pointed out after the first few eps they didn't do much. now, I said before the Athosians reminded me of the telepaths in s5 of B5 which I couldn't stand. but that's just my opinion and you are entitled to your own of course. I agree about the relocation, that was a good move. and yes once again I agree with you, I too think it's important for the Atlantis expedition to find out what happened to them. not only for themselves but most importantly because they care about Teyla and she needs to know

all I was trying to say was that the Athosians may have been of some significance in the first few eps back in s1, especially to Teyla. but other than that they haven't done anything of importance

as for the ship thread :lol: :p

Arica12
December 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
I think caring about the disappearance of the Athosians depends on one of two things; firstly that we know and care about them as characters in their own right, but since we haven't really seen any other Athosians since Teyla's friend died in Season 2 I can't really relate to them so that one's out for me (and to me at least they were always a little too much of caricatures, a noble people suffering etc etc for me to develop any great attachment too.)

The second way IMO is that if we care about the person who cares about them (hope that makes sense), Teyla. We see their loss through how it effects her rather than as the characters missing from the show in their own right (as Beckett or Weir for example). Now well handled I think this could be quite an original way to tell a story but my problem really is that I don't feel I know Teyla's character much better than when she was introduced in Season 1. I like Teyla but so far don't really care about her character all that much so while in principle I like the idea of this story I'm so far feeling a little cold to it.

squeakytoad
January 24th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I hate the Athosians. I almost cheered when I heard they all died originally (only to find out they weren't all actually dead).
It would be nice for Teyla to lose her ties to that stupid defenseless group finally.