PDA

View Full Version : The Naquadah Astroied

NZ1
November 19th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Remember that astroied that Anubus sent towards Earth, the core was made out of Naquadah. That must have been alot, so what i was wondering is why the SGC never mined any of it?
They would have been able to build ton's of Naquadah Generator's and Bombs.

Seems like a waste!!!

marty2006
November 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Why when we have various mines offworld. Much safer than mining off an asteroid anubis has been messing around with.

Calhoun
November 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Who says they haven't mined it? They've got ships and beaming technology, so they could get to it no problem. And seeing the rate at which Earth is building Daedalus-class ships now, I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the material for those ships was a result of mining that asteroid... either using the naquadah directly, or selling the stuff to Russia and other allied powers as a green energy supply in exchange for supplies and materials to help build the ships.

:) Thanks, Anubis! ;)

ebethman
November 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM
That never accurd to me :confused:

Mabey at the time they didn't have the technology to mine something in space.

But now we have a whole lot of ships even if over the years its drifted away.
Maybe the outer layer of rock is to thick for us to get through without considerable expediture dam you IOA

ebethman
November 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Who says they haven't mined it? They've got ships and beaming technology, so they could get to it no problem. And seeing the rate at which Earth is building Daedalus-class ships now, I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of the material for those ships was a result of mining that asteroid... either using the naquadah directly, or selling the stuff to Russia and other allied powers as a green energy supply in exchange for supplies and materials to help build the ships.

:) Thanks, Anubis! ;)

But the aren't the ships made out of trinium naquada alloy. We can't get trinium on earth so we couldn't trade for it.

wkw427
November 19th, 2007, 03:07 PM
But we CAN mine trinium on an ofworl site

Raven6666
November 19th, 2007, 10:57 PM
They probably wouldn't want to go through all the trouble of calculating the different paths the Asteroid had taken, possibly its in another galaxy already, or maybe a System Lord picked it up.

A reason Anubis used Naquadah for a part of the asteroid was that he knew Earth would most likely just Nuke It, which would've created a lot of damage, and most likely getting rid of Earth anyway (Naq+Nuke=BIG BOOM).

If it's been out in space for a few years, there's a chance that it either collided with a planet, most likely wiping out 1/3rd of its inhabitants; it collided with another similar asteroid, or because it might've gone so far, it could've hit a star and who knows what.

As I stated, they probably wouldn't be able to find the most likely path it had taken.

gavo2o
November 20th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Being an asteroid with no hyperspace cabilities it is most likely still in the solar system unless someone came and picked it up. If it had collided with a planet it would have been fairly obvious to people on earth.

Darkstar 2.0
November 20th, 2007, 06:10 AM
actually judging by it's speed, I would not put on money on it having even reached the orbital plane of Jupiter.

Naquahdah is a very heavy compound/element, chances are, if it did sping off in the direction of Mars, or the Asteroid Belt, then it will find a nice eliptical orbit somewhere out there, orbiting this sun, if it did reach the Asteroid Belt, it would probably amass a few chuncks of of the Belt and have either gain in mass, or have small asteroids orbiting in it, like some asteroids already do in the Belt right now in real life!!

It would not be out of the solar system now, probably not for thousands of years even reach the Ort Cloud.

So to bottom line this________there is no reason not to mine it, if the demand for Naquahdah is there, then they would simply need to supply it, with off-world sources, there isn't any imediate desire to mine it, but scientists on earth are that competant to know the location and trajectory of the Naquahdah asteroid that nearly destroyed Earth, simply because, it could one day pose a threat if it found an irregular orbit and came back around the sun for a second attempt!!! lol:D

garhkal
November 20th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Well, big question is do we have the capacity to mine an asteroid?? EG the technical capacity to make an environment to mine in??

SG-25CSAR
November 21st, 2007, 05:05 AM
just land a ship with shields on and give it some air. Then very carefully mine that thing tell the day's or week's quota is met. Then load up and go home. Seems that we have most of it. I am sure that the Worlds space programms could fill in the gaps.

captain jake
December 10th, 2007, 09:23 PM
just land a ship with shields on and give it some air. Then very carefully mine that thing tell the day's or week's quota is met. Then load up and go home. Seems that we have most of it. I am sure that the Worlds space programms could fill in the gaps.

I don't know about that, isn't that asteroid moving rather fast?