PDA

View Full Version : Third SG-1 Movie Pitched to MGM

SGFerrit
November 18th, 2007, 10:51 AM
An idea for a third Stargate SG-1 movie has been pitched to MGM by Brad Wright. However, because of the writers strike, he is unable to proceed. Both he and RCC are affected by the strike. This means, the script will have to wait until the strike has ended, or be written by another writer. I guess it depends on how soon MGM want the third film to start!

Link To Story (http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=1035)

Serebii
November 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM
An idea for a third Stargate SG-1 movie has been pitched to MGM by Brad Wright. However, because of the writers strike, he is unable to proceed. Both he and RCC are affected by the strike. This means, the script will have to wait until the strike has ended, or be written by another writer. I guess it depends on how soon MGM want the third film to start!

Awesome. I'm guessing they'll want it to start (filming wise) when the S5 of Atlantis is filming...plenty of time for the strike to be resolved and it to be written

I'm just glad SG1 will continue :)

SGFerrit
November 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Agreed, it is, overall, good news:) I wonder if this WILL lead into Universe? I know there has been some speculation... but Universe has just been pitched to SciFi, obviously it would have been pitched to MGM ages ago, so wouldn't they have pitched the movie that would lead into it first? Ah well. As long as it's good! I wonder if it will introduce an entirely new villain? The first is about the Ori, the second about the Gould... I don't see the third being about either of them.

kirmit
November 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Agreed, it is, overall, good news:) I wonder if this WILL lead into Universe? I know there has been some speculation... but Universe has just been pitched to SciFi, obviously it would have been pitched to MGM ages ago, so wouldn't they have pitched the movie that would lead into it first? Ah well. As long as it's good! I wonder if it will introduce an entirely new villain? The first is about the Ori, the second about the Gould... I don't see the third being about either of them.

If there is a third movie it likely won't be released until 2009, Universe is scheduled before that, I think.

runnerX
November 18th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Wow a third movie already? It's the best news ever. I always thought they will wait until the first 2 movies get released and then they will make plans for sequels. Cheers for the third movie. Wonder what the story will be about.
Can't wait for more news about this movie.

Serebii
November 18th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Wow a third movie already? It's the best news ever. I always thought they will wait until the first 2 movies get released and then they will make plans for sequels. Cheers for the third movie. Wonder what the story will be about.
Can't wait for more news about this movie.
Well production wise, to get it done they'd have to film it the same time of year they filmed the ones lastr year. It wasn't their fault Ark of Truth & Continuum were delayed

Platschu
November 18th, 2007, 01:11 PM
There were rumors about a third film, but it seems it will be a reality soon. I hope this strike will end quickly and they can begin the work at March. ;)

Darren
November 18th, 2007, 01:40 PM
In order for Universe to begin filming in March to premiere next year, they'd be going crazy building sets and writing scripts and casting right now (as they were with Atlantis in November 2003 to February 2004).

General speculation is that the writer's strike will need to go at least 6-8 months to have its desired impact on the networks' bottom lines. So Universe won't go into production in March, and almost certainly won't be premiering before 2009.

Platschu
November 18th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Yes, I know, but I've spoken about the third movie, not the third series. :o They should make SG:U only for a 2009 premiere, so they have enough time to write really creative stories and choose the best actors. ;)

DeRoest
November 18th, 2007, 02:02 PM
i wonder where screenwriters ought to inquire about a job? ;)

Atlantis Team member
November 18th, 2007, 02:59 PM
In order for Universe to begin filming in March to premiere next year, they'd be going crazy building sets and writing scripts and casting right now (as they were with Atlantis in November 2003 to February 2004).

General speculation is that the writer's strike will need to go at least 6-8 months to have its desired impact on the networks' bottom lines. So Universe won't go into production in March, and almost certainly won't be premiering before 2009.

Hopefully the strike will be over soon. I agree also for a 09 premiere for SGU. They need to do it right and take their time.

jenks
November 18th, 2007, 03:03 PM
This pleases me.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 18th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I want SGU done in the time they need to do it. No rushing. I like Atlantis being the only one in production. Can tell they're not as strained as before.

Jumper_One
November 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
good news. thanx for the link SGFerrit

Lightbane
November 18th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I think Atlantis will go up to Season Six then they will probably end it and let SGU take over. I don't think that they'd want to have the same writing conflict between Atlantis and SGU. Unless Atlantis is really really worth spending all the time and conflict with splitting resources between two shows. I say its going to end in 2009.

jenks
November 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I hope they bring in new writers, I think SGU needs it own group of writers like Atlantis has this season, yielding great results, instead of splitting them between the two series...

Xicer
November 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM
This is wonderful news. :D

the fifth man
November 18th, 2007, 05:24 PM
This is wonderful news. :D

I couldn't agree more. Knowing that the adventures of SG-1 will very likely continue into a third DVD movie makes me very happy.:) And it shows that MGM still has a lot of faith in this franchise (considering the first two movies haven't even been released yet).

Athosian Death facilitator
November 18th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I hope they bring in new writers, I think SGU needs it own group of writers like Atlantis has this season, yielding great results, instead of splitting them between the two series...

GREAT NEWS FOR THE THIRD MOVIE.

How do you mean splitting them?
I understand they have used the same sets of writers, and had them write different scripts at different times? They haven't split them, they have used the resources they have appropriately and i'm sure if writer X wanted to reframe from writing for both shows it wouldn't be a problem.

How does the writers strike effect Stargate? I ask this because the writers strike is in The United States of America And Canada doesn't have a strike now. Do they?

Nearest i could tell, Joseph Mallozzi(SG:A show runner) is still writing and breaking stories(slowly) for all of his pilot scripts and the fifth season of Stargate Atlantis. Marting Gero(SG:A executive producer) doesn't appear to be wielding a picket sign either.

paulschapman
November 19th, 2007, 08:02 AM

How does the writers strike effect Stargate? I ask this because the writers strike is in The United States of America And Canada doesn't have a strike now. Do they?

Because the two of them are both members of the WGA and this precludes working on scripts until the strike is over.

geeksandlies
November 19th, 2007, 08:17 AM
:D but the first 2 aret even out yet and i can hardly wait for them as it is :(

i wonder where screenwriters ought to inquire about a job? ;)

Good piont!

I'm serious though! I am in the UK and would give up my left arm and possibly even my right leg to get the chance to write somthing like this! Darn writers just dont appreciate how lucky they are. Those of us still trying to get something read are getting angry about this!

jenks
November 19th, 2007, 08:47 AM

How do you mean splitting them?
I understand they have used the same sets of writers, and had them write different scripts at different times? They haven't split them, they have used the resources they have appropriately and i'm sure if writer X wanted to reframe from writing for both shows it wouldn't be a problem.

Joe Mallozzi has made clear that this season they have had a lot more time to concentrate on Atlantis, now that they don't have to write for 40 episodes with year, and I think it shows.

Mattathias2.0
November 19th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I am not sure what to think until I find out some sort of plot details. I have a hunch it's likely a stand alone type. I am also not surprised it's possible a third movie was ok'd since SGA is doing well (they do in some way depend on eachother).

Major_Griff
November 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM
They should have Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie "write" the third SG-1 movie to get it out as quickly as possible, if you catch my drift.

Platschu
November 19th, 2007, 02:03 PM
They should have Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie "write" the third SG-1 movie to get it out as quickly as possible, if you catch my drift.
No, they should work on Atlantis season5. Brad Wright is the soul and heart of the SG franchise, so he can write such movies, what will the audience like. Maybe the strike will be finished at February or May, so 1-2 months is enough for him to write it, so they can make it at summer for a 2009 release. ;)

What I fear that they won't have time to make a 4th and 5th movie next year. :( ;)

jenks
November 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM
No, they should work on Atlantis season5. Brad Wright is the soul and heart of the SG franchise, so he can write such movies, what will the audience like. Maybe the strike will be finished at February or May, so 1-2 months is enough for him to write it, so they can make it at summer for a 2009 release. ;)

What I fear that they won't have time to make a 4th and 5th movie next year. :( ;)

You missed his drift.

Major_Griff
November 19th, 2007, 11:04 PM

I meant like have BW write it but put JM & PM's name on it so they can put it into production asap and not have BW black listed or whatever they do.

Beckmen
November 21st, 2007, 06:13 AM
This is good news, but the strike could really hitch it up. If the DVDs don't sell as well as they are expecting, MGM might not want to pursue any more movies. The movies will probably sell well, though. Especially if B5's TLT:VITD is any indicator.

As for Atlantis...so far I think season 4 is pretty bad, actually. I liked the show better when they were producing it alongside SG-1. They still have 12 episodes left to change my mind this season, though. We'll see...but so far season 4 is the worst season yet.

Major_Griff
November 21st, 2007, 10:50 AM
As for Atlantis...so far I think season 4 is pretty bad, actually. I liked the show better when they were producing it alongside SG-1. They still have 12 episodes left to change my mind this season, though. We'll see...but so far season 4 is the worst season yet.

Are you kidding?! S4 has been great so far, imo. Travelers was the worst ep and that was still pretty good, imo. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

kirmit
November 21st, 2007, 11:09 AM
Are you kidding?! S4 has been great so far, imo. Travelers was the worst ep and that was still pretty good, imo. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

Exactly, season 4 seems to be splitting the fans down the middle, it's like marmite, you love it or hate it. Anyway I hope this third film will have alot of exploring in it, we have a big movie dealing with the Ori, a big movie with Ba'al, how about one about a new race we discover on our travels.

Fenrir Foxz
November 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM

Fantastic!!!!!! Stargate should live on... their are still many stories that can be told....

the fifth man
November 21st, 2007, 07:41 PM
Fantastic!!!!!! Stargate should live on... their are still many stories that can be told....

I couldn't agree more. SG-1 still has enough left in it to go on for quite some time (especially in movie form).:)

Platschu
November 22nd, 2007, 12:22 AM
I hope that they will make more movies fror SG-1, Atlantis, Universe and Worlds. They have a fantastic crew and actors, but if they wait too much, they will find job at other film projects or live their life with family etc. It was so sad, when I heard that they must fire the half of the staff, because of SG-1's cancellation. :( I believe in the DVD films, because they can tell us such stories from bigger budget, what we could only dream about a decade ago. ;) If you watch the new episodes, you can feel that they have fresh ideas, but they don't have enough money to make it, so they have to make minor or bottle episodes to save money.The DVD films can "cure" this problem. My only fear that the screen time isn't enough, because 2*42-50 minutes isn't equal to a longer film like FS : PKW, which was a mini-series and it was 2*90 minutes long. So the Ark of Truth can be a bit rushed instead of making a longer, but slower film to tell everything they planned. :o

MechaThor
November 22nd, 2007, 12:58 AM
Cool, I news of a 3rd film alreday is great.
I am sure both Brad and RCC don't care about the strike, there4 its a shame this film has to be affected in this way, Unlike alot of shows the Writers on SG-1 are well known and get alot of the credit.

I am sure Brad could just write it in secret? Or get someone like Gero to do a Draft version then have Himself and RCC do their passes and rewrites once the stupid strike os over?

I hope this 3rd film has something to do with the great alliance of 4 races.

the fifth man
November 22nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
I hope that they will make more movies fror SG-1, Atlantis, Universe and Worlds. They have a fantastic crew and actors, but if they wait too much, they will find job at other film projects or live their life with family etc. It was so sad, when I heard that they must fire the half of the staff, because of SG-1's cancellation. :( I believe in the DVD films, because they can tell us such stories from bigger budget, what we could only dream about a decade ago. ;) If you watch the new episodes, you can feel that they have fresh ideas, but they don't have enough money to make it, so they have to make minor or bottle episodes to save money.The DVD films can "cure" this problem. My only fear that the screen time isn't enough, because 2*42-50 minutes isn't equal to a longer film like FS:PKW, which was a mini-series and it was 2*90 minutes long. So the Ark of Truth can be a bit rushed instead of making a longer, but slower film to tell everything they planned. :o

Maybe Ark of Truth will feel a bit rushed, I just don't know. But 90 minutes is better than nothing at all. So I'm pleased to get that much. And knowing that there is the possibility of a third movie already, just makes me smile even more.:)