PDA

View Full Version : Return of the MALP!

spinspinspin
November 18th, 2007, 01:25 AM
I was happy to see the MALP in this episode! There were some other "SG-1isms" that I noticed, such as a guy saying "Unscheduled Offworld Activation!" and "Receiving MALP telemetry"

I'm not saying that these things are unique to SG-1, but I've come to associate them with SG-1 more strongly than with SGA. It's nice to see some SGC procedures come out in Atlantis. I know there are people that hate to see SGA look like SG-1, but it makes sense for expedition members to be trained at the SGC prior to going into the Pegasus galaxy!

Although I am noticing a rise in "SG-1isms" in this season. Not that it's a bad thing. Anyone else notice anything?

andromeda_dan
November 18th, 2007, 01:34 AM
I like to see the SGA team use more of those zat guns against the wraights and the replicators and other evil critters. I always wonder why the SGA team never bother to bring a few zats with them, even on their maiden voyage to Atlantis.

inta
November 18th, 2007, 06:07 AM
I like to see the SGA team use more of those zat guns against the wraights and the replicators and other evil critters. I always wonder why the SGA team never bother to bring a few zats with them, even on their maiden voyage to Atlantis.

It's kind of assumed Zat's aren't effective on Wraiths due to their regenerative qualities, and energy weapons have no effect on replicators.
they probably have some zats on atlantis but the wraith stunners are more effective and easier to come by.

i miss Zat's too, the look/sound they have is the best.

Alendra
November 18th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Wraith regenerative abilities wouldn't affect zat effect, it's basically an electric (sp ?) discharge, that messes with the nervous system, if Wraith nevrous system is based on electrical impulses, zats will have an effect.
And if I remember well, the Wraith stunners just "overload" the nerves, I think Beckett explains it when McKay takes a blast in the face (don't remember the ep, season 1).
I think zats would be a much more effective means of killing a Wraith than a P90. (at least at close range, and there is also no ammo/jamming issues with a zat (remember "The Defiant One" ? think Shep would have loved having a zat back then ^^))

shadowhunter483
November 18th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Didn't sheppard use a Zat gun in the return part one when they were stealing the puddle jumper. I think he used it to stun siler and another guy.

Alendra
November 18th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Yeah he did, he shot the guy that had his ankle injured (seen previously on Shep's SG team).

inta
November 18th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Wraith regenerative abilities wouldn't affect zat effect, it's basically an electric (sp ?) discharge, that messes with the nervous system, if Wraith nevrous system is based on electrical impulses, zats will have an effect.

I think there was one episode where they had to use multiple tasers to bring subdue a wraith, that's why i assume a zat wouldn't necessarily bring a wraith down since they can regen from electrical shocks.

the fifth man
November 18th, 2007, 07:27 PM
It was great to see the MALP. "SG-1isms" aren't necessarily a bad thing here and there.

P-90_177
November 18th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I'd like to believe that the use of the malp again is down to carter insisting on it. you know bringin her experiences in the SGC to atlantis.

DeRoest
November 19th, 2007, 12:57 AM
since some pegasus gates are in space, i assume they have been using them all along, just not on camera. though, you never see malps floating around outside a space gate. maybe we need a new malp model.

VSS
November 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Personally, I miss FRED.

P-90_177
November 19th, 2007, 06:04 PM
that's a point. we haven't even seen FRED in SG-1 for ages.

AutumnDream
November 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I'd be more excited for the return of the MALP-On-A-Stick.

spinspinspin
November 19th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I'd be more excited for the return of the MALP-On-A-Stick.

Flying whirring MALP on a stick?

CalmStorm
November 20th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I think the MALP is outdated. Can they not find a more compact model by now?

Jumper_One
November 20th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I think the MALP is outdated. Can they not find a more compact model by now?

well they sure wouldn't use a MALP from SG-1 s1. other than I don't see why it's outdated? it's still a pretty secure way of gathering intel

and yeah of course I miss it. hopefully we'll get to see it more often now that Carter's in charge

garhkal
November 20th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Remind me what FRED was??

CalmStorm
November 20th, 2007, 04:31 PM
well they sure wouldn't use a MALP from SG-1 s1. other than I don't see why it's outdated? it's still a pretty secure way of gathering intel

It's huge, it doesn't seem to be all that maneuverable, I would think by now, they would be able to have a more compact model that can turn on a dime.

Jumper_One
November 20th, 2007, 04:43 PM
It's huge, it doesn't seem to be all that maneuverable, I would think by now, they would be able to have a more compact model that can turn on a dime.

like I said they wouldn't use a 10 year old MALP. of course it'd be updated with the newest tech and stuff

VSS
November 20th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Remind me what FRED was??

Field Remote Expeditionary Device.
FRED was the automated equipment carrier that they'd roll through the gate whenever they had to take a lot of stuff.

FRED doesn't exist in real life.

Zepro
November 21st, 2007, 06:01 AM
I believe that they've used the MALP before on Atlantis...

from memory, the first time they encountered a space gate (Season 1 I think), they have the feed from the MALP as it falls towards the planet... with Mckay remarking something along the lines of "The gate's in orbit"

Also from memory, they sent a MALP through on first contact with the Asurans... I think?

kirmit
November 21st, 2007, 07:33 AM
I believe that they've used the MALP before on Atlantis...

from memory, the first time they encountered a space gate (Season 1 I think), they have the feed from the MALP as it falls towards the planet... with Mckay remarking something along the lines of "The gate's in orbit"

Also from memory, they sent a MALP through on first contact with the Asurans... I think?

Yerp you're right :).

garhkal
November 21st, 2007, 02:45 PM
AH... Thanks for the info.

GodAtum
November 22nd, 2007, 03:01 PM
I think a micro-UAV would be cool or a toy helicopter :)

FallenAngelII
November 23rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
It would be boring if they featured the MALP in every single episode. Come to think of it, I don't remember a single time the MALP was used for seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1. I might just be going senile, but it's not like they were using it every single episode.

Nowadays, we don't see the team 'til they've already gated offworld, anyway, so we can safely assume that the MALPs are deployed and then pulled back before the episodes begin.

jonty-comp
November 29th, 2007, 12:13 AM
I think they should have something more modern as a MALP too. For instance, in season 1 when the MALP floats away from the space gate someone makes a remark like "there goes another MALP..."

It would be better if they had one that could recover from such things, maybe with thrusters on so it could stay hovering next to a space gate and a jumper could collect it. (I seriously doubt that the SGC just left all the MALPs they sent lying around on planets. It'd be quite a waste of money and would make the galaxy look messy!)

garhkal
November 29th, 2007, 02:46 PM
We know from in the serpents lair they tend to send the malps back to home once the team gets there... but with teams that don't get to go (due to the malp showing hostiles, or some other reason not to go, i cannot say how they would get it back.