This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evacuate Pegasus?

In discussing possible battle tactics to defeat the Wraith. I came up with the idea of evacuating as many Pegasus humans to the Milky Way as possible.
    Spoiler:
    Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
    Evacuate as many Pegasus Galaxy humans to the MW as possible, its not like there's a lack of empty planets. You remove their food supply without actually slaughtering people, although it would be a logistical nightmare. With a lot less food around they either ramp up their civil war or go back to sleep. Then either remove the rest of the PG humans so they starve when they do wake up, or try to find as many dormant Hives as possible and tag their location. Then hit them in a lightning raid only stopping if the Hives start becoming active, rinse and repeat. Also monitor hyperspace around PG just in case they somehow figure out intergalactic travel in their desperation.

Spoiler:
    Maybe, maybe not. TBH I don't even see them needing that many planets to house the population of PG.
    Spoiler:
    The Asurans destroyed two or three worlds, and they only killed 150,000. That's only the population of a good sized city.
    If you take Earth as an example, you can fit several billion people on a planet. I realize you're not going to pack them that densely, but you could certainly condense the populations together. Heck it seems like the average population of a planet in Pegasus is several hundred, and many of those planets don't seem to be inhabited. I realize it's a galaxies worth of people, but I seriously question whether that galaxy has as many people as Earth. Using the intergalactic gate bridge would make the evacuation even easier, no need to go to Earth or Atlantis, just go directly from planet A to planet B, with a slight layover at Midway.

So my question to you, is it feasible to do? Admittedly it will take time, and be logistical hell, but it will save human life and possibly lead to the downfall of the Wraith. Issues to consider are the size of the Pegasus Galaxy (generally assumed to be much smaller than MW), and the population of PG. Also what possible outcomes do you see if this actually happened?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

In fairness I don't see it happening. The wraith would work out what was happening and would put a stop to it. They would probably just steal each and every stargate to make evacuation impossible.

Not only that, but you'd still have to convince those people to leave - People refused to leave chernobyl and that was a nuclear disaster. My point is, people don't give up their homes easily.

I do like the idea though of starving the wraith, but all that would happen is that they would turn every single weapon against the SGA team. That in itself would pose a very serious problem. Imagine EVERY hive ship firing weapons at the Atlantis shield...

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

It wouldn't work to evacuate all of them but there is a reasonable thought in evacuating enough of them to cause war, feud, major in fighting cell fractures and all.

nice thought though.
      sigpic
      i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

Comment

Out of possible outcomes - The Wraith will turn their full attention to the Milky Way. Right now they are interested in Earth as a potential new food source, but they can sustain themselves to a certain degree under the current status quo. So, finding a way to Earth is not a huge priority. However, making them extremely desperate would be problematic as their full attention would be finding a way to live at all costs which includes finding a way to the Milky Way. It would also cause them to heavily defend certain Human worlds and relocate Humans so they can better defend their food source once they find out that Earth is doing this. So, it wouldn't be the death of them, they would just be extremely desperate as their numbers would begin would to fall.

Which, again, would lead to them possibly finding a way to the Milky Way. For example, in order to relocate people through the gate, Earth would have to spend a lot of time on each planet between convincing them it is the best option, having them gather their things, and moving them along while dealing with having to give the midway station time to move people through the small hallway to the next gate before sending more through (not to mention how problematic it would be to relocate people on worlds with spacegates - best case scenario you move the spacegate onto the planet, but is that even possible without a 304?). During that time the Wraith are bound to come upon them, especially after they find out they are doing this and go out of their way to ambush them. Then you have Earth personnel in enemy hands who would be tortured for information such as the location of Atlantis, how this who macro-gate bridge thing works, etc. The more Earth relocates people, the less worlds there are for Earth to move, and the easier it will be for the Wraith to manage to take prisoners as well as the more motivated they will be to do so - This won't be like when Telya's necklace gave away their position and they only send a few Wraith through the Stargate to deal with them each time. Wraith worshippers will be equipped with transmitters that they are to active as soon as they spot people from Earth and they will be sent to as many worlds as possible. Then the Wraith will dial in and flood the planet with as many Wraith and darts as they can get through the gate in 38 minutes and/or send Hives/Cruisers to that planet.

As long as Atlantis keeps the Wraith distracted and makes themselves out to be nothing more than a minor annoyance they are good. But making a move like that will draw way more attention than they can handle. I just don't see it working out.

Comment

Even if it was possible to relocate Pegasus galaxy humans to one or more planets in the Milky Way it wouldn't be as simple as just moving them from A to B (or even P to M )

Even though Pegasus is sparsely populated by Milky Way standards that's still a lot of refugees. What do they do for food until the farmers can get food production underway? What kind of shelter would they have until they could get houses built? Could they be guaranteed sufficient clean water to drink? Then there's the medical side of things. It's unlikely that all Pegasus medicinal plants would be growing naturally on any planet they went to so these would have to be farmed as well.

It's not like the Milky Way is a utopian safe haven anyway. It contains many humans (plus a few aliens) on the lines of those in the Lucian Alliance. It's always under some major threat or other too. How many people died because of the Ori invasion, for example? The refugees might well be safe from the Wraith but they could be wiped out by the latest technologically advanced bad guys unless they were given sufficient protection.
          sigpic

Comment

Could be possible to relocate people to planets that have already been culled. I doubt the Wraith would have to go back to a planet that they completely culled.

Or use the PWARWs to wipe out the Aurans on their homeworld and relocate as many people there.
            sigpic
            "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
            Signature made by RJB

Comment

All very good points. Ciannwn, I agree that MW isn't utopia, but I do believe that they would be significantly safer in this galaxy. There are plenty of cases of primitive MW cultures going unmolested by the advanced cultures. Also I think it's a good possibility that in the decade of running the gate, Earth has made friends who would be willing to house some refugees, after all we're probably not talking more than a few hundred on any given planet. The heavy population centers would certainly be more difficult to evacuate, but not impossible. This doesn't have to be a quick process. You could send a couple hundred refugees from one world through and let them build their new world up a little before sending more. Lets be honest, most PG inhabitants are living in Medieval villages, establishing that level of infrastructure probably won't take that long. I also think most people would gladly take the deal, their children would be free of the Wraith, and they may very well be able to come back later. As for the Wraith interfering, that's a definite possibility. I guess they would just have to try and keep it a secret. As far as I know the Wraith aren't very much in the habit of talking to their food, so unless they actually notice large groups of people missing, they might not ask.
              Spoiler:
              Now we might be able to disguise it as an Asuran attack.
              Also people in PG use the stargate a lot, so it wouldn't be suspicious to see them going through it. Plus the Wraith may initially think they're just going somewhere else in the galaxy, without investigation they will have no way of knowing they are being moved to another galaxy. Of course there's the possibility of Wraith worshipper spies, or people giving up information so they don't get eaten. I also don't rule out the possibility of farm worlds with no gate. I know it wouldn't be possible to get every human out of PG, but maybe just enough to severely hinder the Wraith.
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Comment

I can't forsee them being able to take millions of people & get them all out to a new galaxy without the Wraith knowing about it.

Not to mention how do you actually do it. A 304 could only take a few 100 at most. The midway station I can only see being big enough for a few dozen at any one time. PJ's could probably get 20 people max squeezed in via the intergalactic bridge. Which would take 30mins per trip. The last one is to bring them all to Atlantis & send them through the gate in largew groups.

The biggest problem is how do you know who's geneuine & who's not. For instance Wraith worshippers could infiltraite a group. Then use some sort of tech to summon the Wraith to the coordinates of where they are etc which would be bad for Atlantis, 304, intergalactioc bridge which is a direct conduit to the MW & also the midway station. They could even be armed, then take over wherever it is.

The only feasible way would be to use the Wraith tech we saw in 'The Ark'. If they had a good few thousand of them available, they could go planet to planet. Sweep everybody up, store them in a tiny little machine. Take them to a new planet. Have a screening area set to to make sure there is no technology on them. Then let them on their way. Do this to all the planets & after a few months/years you may do it. However there would need to be significant resources put by to help millions of people set up new camps. Not to mention the fact that dozens/hundreds of world getting together would probably be very bad beause of their beliefs etc. So they'd need to all be categorized & matched up to multiple worlds.

Basically it could be done, however would take too long (including all the precautions you'd need to take with each group before & after transport) & would cost too much!

Would probably be easier to chuck them all on the one world. Use Merlin's tech with a few dozen Asgard Neutrino Ion generators to power the thing. Send the whole planet out of phase & the Wraith nor Asurans could ever get at them. Would be much safer than simply cloaking because if any of them had any sort of communication equipment their exact position could be tracked down & exposed!

Comment

I like the idea of using the Wraith beam storage to evacuate areas. It would certainly make large population centers easier to evacuate. I think the main objective would not be to get everyone out of Pegasus, but reduce the population enough that the Wraith would have no choice then to hibernate or escalate their civil war.

Comment

it would be a nightmare transferring millions of people to the MW.
                    it would be easier to just have them move into atlantis.

how many people would want to leave their homes too?
                    the genii don't want to go from being an advanced modern society to living in tents on a new planet in the MW.

Comment

Just one of the attacked planets had 150,000 people on it, another had 50,000... If we're talking about a few thousand worlds, that's a LOT of people.
                      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                        Just one of the attacked planets had 150,000 people on it, another had 50,000... If we're talking about a few thousand worlds, that's a LOT of people.
                        Pegasus only had 1000 worlds that were seeded with life. We've already saw that the Wraith have wiped a few out like Sateda etc.

So it's more likely to be a few hundred that's left with people living on them.

Comment

I like the idea of using the Wraith beam storage to evacuate areas. It would certainly make large population centers easier to evacuate. I think the main objective would not be to get everyone out of Pegasus, but reduce the population enough that the Wraith would have no choice then to hibernate or escalate their civil war.
                          Using the device would not only be the most economical & fastest way to transport large masses of people but it would also be the most secure.

While they're in storage, you don't need to worry about them exposing your position to the Wraith, Asurans etc by using a hidden transmitter or beacon. You also rulke out the factor of them rebelling & taking over wherever your keeping them. For instance, you bring a few 1000 people onto Atlantis to take them through the gate back to Earth. A few 100 have hidden weapons. You'll soon find yourself in trouble. Especially if they take over the gateroom within secs. Dial the Wraith up. Then then send a ton of troops through straight away. Atlantis is then a goner.

The only real feasible way to do it though would be to take them to a planet like that of 'The Defiant One'. This way communication with the outside would be impossible. Therefore no need to have any of them worry about sending the Wraith a message.

However I doubt we'll get to see it happen!

it would be a nightmare transferring millions of people to the MW.
                          it would be easier to just have them move into atlantis.

how many people would want to leave their homes too?
                          the genii don't want to go from being an advanced modern society to living in tents on a new planet in the MW.
                          Atlantis would be nowhere near big enough to hold millions of people. It may have a big surface area, but I doubt it has all the facilities, rooms etc to give everyone their own private space. Probably the most would be a couple 1000 max.

Not to mention why would you give such numbers a place in the city when they could overtake it if nothing by more than sheer numbers. What happens if they have some sort of hidden transmitter or comms device, they then alert the Wraith a few weeks down the line. What happens if some are trained by the Wraith in Lantean tech, just like in 'The Siege I'. Where the Wraith was able to use Atlantis to send subspace messages to the rest of the Wraith.

How many people would want to leave their homes...Taking away the fact that they'd never, ever, ever have to worry about the Wraith coming & culling them ever again. Then I think the question would be more like, who wouldn't want to leave their homes at such an offer!

If the Genii didn't want to leave, then I doubt they'd be forced to. If they wanted to stay behind, then that would be their choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                            Pegasus only had 1000 worlds that were seeded with life. We've already saw that the Wraith have wiped a few out like Sateda etc.

So it's more likely to be a few hundred that's left with people living on them.
                            Where did you get only 1000...?
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                              Where did you get only 1000...?
                              Ancient Hologram lady: "1000 world bore the fruit of life"

Best Stargate quote:
                              Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                              Green is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X