The Wraith are dumb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wraith are dumb?

It occurred to me watching 'The Seer' that twice now we've seen the blast wave from an exploding hive taking out another Hive. Now the Wraith are supposed to be pretty smart little guys, surely they could anticipate that being within a certain vicinity of an exploding Hive would take them out aswell, no? Surely a better course of action would be to simply damage the opposing hive enough that they couldn't fight back anymore instead of blowing them up and taking yourself out in the process.

Yeah, sitting completely still in battle in space and blowing up an enemy ship whose explosion will destroy you does not appear to be a sound tactical manuever. How about executing "attack pattern delta" or something....DO SOMTHING.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Well how else were both Hives going to be taken out so that the story could progress?
      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
        Well how else were both Hives going to be taken out so that the story could progress?
        Well that's the obvious real world answer but it made the Wraith look stupid and the fact it's happened twice makes it even more dumb. I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that this was the great race that took out the Ancients when they make such dumb moves.

Comment

Well look at it this way, the first Hive couldn't take a defensive stance or move out of explosion range without alerting the second Hive that they were up to something. The first Hive was probably hoping to avoid combat entirely and so allowed a ship of nominal "allies" to get close in order to maintain the deception. The switch to battle was quite quick, and we have no idea what systems were damaged on the Hive, it's possible their manuevering thrusters were damaged and they had no way to escape the blast. What is incredibly stupid is the continued Wraith infighting in the wake of the Asuran war effort.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
            It occurred to me watching 'The Seer' that twice now we've seen the blast wave from an exploding hive taking out another Hive. Now the Wraith are supposed to be pretty smart little guys, surely they could anticipate that being within a certain vicinity of an exploding Hive would take them out aswell, no? Surely a better course of action would be to simply damage the opposing hive enough that they couldn't fight back anymore instead of blowing them up and taking yourself out in the process.
            They reused the blowing scene for the third time in the series, so what did you expect?
            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
              Hive ships are huge. It takes a lot more for them to move than the Daedels/Apolio. Think of a Hive ship like a semi truck. It needs more road to stop, turn
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                They reused the blowing scene for the third time in the series, so what did you expect?
                I thought that was only the second. There was The Hive, and The Seer. What was the other one you speak of?

Best Stargate quote:
                Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                Green is your friend.

Comment

The engines could very well have been damaged after that kind of exchange.
                  I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
                    I thought that was only the second. There was The Hive, and The Seer. What was the other one you speak of?
                    Does Platschu mean Aurora (s02e09)? It is not same, but similar.
                    Asgard in memoriam

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis- View Post
                      Does Platschu mean Aurora (s02e09)? It is not same, but similar.
                      Same..no. Similar yes. I was referring to reused stock footage of 2 hiveships destroying each other. The people who did the CG just took the darts and the Daedalus out of the sequence.

Best Stargate quote:
                      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                      Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                        We could have seen a Replicator ship suddenly jump in. Have it shown that they discovered Hives on their sensors. Which will be a given since they're now at war. It destroys them, the Atlantis team has Carter & co kacking their pants because of the prophecy.

They are about to switch to shields because it hangs around scanning the surface (no doubt curious as to what 2 Wraith ships were doing orbiting an uninhabited planet) when it suddenly jumps back into HS.

However it is true, they knew they were too close, they would never have fired on each other if it led to what was basically suicide. They would have probably flown away a little bit further out before turning then launching a surprise attack on the other Hive, or it would have jumped away, then back again to cathc them off guard!

It simply needs to be put down as another convenient plot point to allow the Hives to go while still keeping Atlantis a secret from the rest of the Wraith!

Comment

Sorry, it seems I remembered badly. I didn't find the third one. Similar scene was at the end of 3x02 Misbegotten, but not the same.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Same..no. Similar yes. I was referring to reused stock footage of 2 hiveships destroying each other. The people who did the CG just took the darts and the Daedalus out of the sequence.
                            You know, I don't mind flashbacks and such things. It is cool to re-see old well done CGI work. But directly reusing an old CGI scene and trying to pass it off as something new sucks. I HATES IT! That totally ruined this episode for me, just like it ruined the last episode of DS9 when they reused all that old CGI from the previous 2 seasons.

Grrrrr. Do they think we are too stupid to notice? I'd rather see 2 blips on a screen disappearing than a reused clip.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                              You know, I don't mind flashbacks and such things. It is cool to re-see old well done CGI work. But directly reusing an old CGI scene and trying to pass it off as something new sucks. I HATES IT! That totally ruined this episode for me, just like it ruined the last episode of DS9 when they reused all that old CGI from the previous 2 seasons.

Grrrrr. Do they think we are too stupid to notice? I'd rather see 2 blips on a screen disappearing than a reused clip.
                              Personally, reusing a clip here and there doesn't really bother me too much. TPTB have to spend the money they have wisely, and reusing footage occasionally when the situation is similar to another helps them save some of that money for later in the season.

Now if something is reused constantly, that gets to me.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X