PDA

View Full Version : 'The Seer' - a new High for Stargate?

techjunkie
November 16th, 2007, 11:21 PM
This is spoiler free.

I really enjoyed this episode, much more than i thought. In terms of a traditional SGA episode I expected cliché after cliché in terms of psychic phenomena.

Not here. Not this episode. I was even bowled over by the actor playing the seer. WOW... A guest actor that out shined the others.

OK - a few points. A nice explanation about the Midway station, it's "health" policy, and the celebration of sorts of Sam's 90-day evaluation of her command. Oh, I love it when they add real world controls in the terms of how to engage with Atlantis when they have just gone through a nasty biological issue (last episode).

Also - a really nice explanation about the seer's source of his power. Damn, if it's not plausible, and reproducible...

Overall - a great episode. The best so far.

Tech Junkie
(striving for the sarcasm demerit #2)

Mitchell82
November 16th, 2007, 11:53 PM
This is spoiler free.

I really enjoyed this episode, much more than i thought. In terms of a traditional SGA episode I expected cliché after cliché in terms of psychic phenomena.

Not here. Not this episode. I was even bowled over by the actor playing the seer. WOW... A guest actor that out shined the others.

OK - a few points. A nice explanation about the Midway station, it's "health" policy, and the celebration of sorts of Sam's 90-day evaluation of her command. Oh, I love it when they add real world controls in the terms of how to engage with Atlantis when they have just gone through a nasty biological issue (last episode).

Also - a really nice explanation about the seer's source of his power. Damn, if it's not plausible, and reproducible...

Tech Junkie

This was an excellent episode and indeed one of the best.

jelgate
November 16th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I definatly agree. I seriously trying to find fault with this episode, but try as I might there were no faults. It had character development (Carter), cool CGI, some sinter Wraith and hints to to the mid-season three parter.There were other great things but I can't list them are

Mitchell82
November 17th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I definatly agree. I seriously trying to find fault with this episode, but try as I might there were no faults. It had character development (Carter), cool CGI, some sinter Wraith and hints to to the mid-season three parter.There were other great things but I can't list them are

QUestion why are yout trying to find faults? Just curious.

Avenger
November 17th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I thought it was really good. Carter was awesome.

jelgate
November 17th, 2007, 12:22 AM
To try to understand the anti's way of thinking. Needless to say I am still trying. Chances are I'll never figure it out

AutumnDream
November 17th, 2007, 02:13 AM
I didn't either until I watched Battlestar Galactica and saw just how good writing could be for a television show.

That said, The Seer was a pretty good episode.

SG13-NightOps
November 17th, 2007, 02:40 AM
I didn't either until I watched Battlestar Galactica and saw just how good writing could be for a television show.

This is what makes the differing opinions amusing when people keep thinking others can see their way of thinking. When looking for good TV, I don't look to BSG. B5, yes. BSG, hell no.

That said, the Seer was a good episode. Hubby was happy to see the CG Wraith again. The wraith joke was almost as good as the Jaffa joke! LOL.

I am really starting to miss the Team episodes though.

g.o.d
November 17th, 2007, 04:20 AM
finally a good episode after seven boring episodes

kymeric
November 17th, 2007, 08:30 AM

BSG sucks, thats why its cancelled while SGA is renewed. Saying the writer wanted it to end now cuz the story is done in light of its huge ratings drop is like getting dumped and saying it was your choice. lol sga>bsg

jelgate
November 17th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I didn't either until I watched Battlestar Galactica and saw just how good writing could be for a television show.?*That said, The Seer was a pretty good episode.BSG is a cure for insomonia . I'm asleep in 10 minutes. SGA keeps me entertained for 45 minutes. (Didn't count commercials)

Redhooks
November 17th, 2007, 09:27 AM
This is what makes the differing opinions amusing when people keep thinking others can see their way of thinking. When looking for good TV, I don't look to BSG. B5, yes. BSG, hell no.

That said, the Seer was a good episode. Hubby was happy to see the CG Wraith again. The wraith joke was almost as good as the Jaffa joke! LOL.

I am really starting to miss the Team episodes though.
I really liked this episode and it did seem like it wasn't the normal way SGA is written which is a good thing to me. It almost felt like an old Babylon 5 type episode to me in that it made you think a lot more than the average SGA epsiode. This reminds me of the Babylon 5 episode Signs and Portents, even though the plot was different, where the writer(s) use foreshadowing to give a few clues of future events, but you don't know the context of them which makes it hard to know what the characters should do. Probably going to be one of the highlights of the season for me.

Shan Bruce Lee
November 17th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I think I agree with most of the people in this thread that SGA is way better than BSG. I'm not saying I don't like BSG but it's not as good as SG-1 or Atlantis. "And they have a plan" is kinda retarded. And there've been a lot of moments on BSG where before your brain can even finish processing what they're saying you already know it's garbage.

Example: When Boomer screams "I'm a frakkin Cylon!!" before she even said "frakkin" - in that single moment - she'd turned a pretty good show into the dumbest soap opera that's ever existed sinse cavemen were drawing comic strips on their living room cave walls.:vortex04:

AutumnDream
November 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM
BSG is a cure for insomonia . I'm asleep in 10 minutes. SGA keeps me entertained for 45 minutes. (Didn't count commercials)

I am nglad you liker actiobn scene + plot w/vrisus or magical sapce shipr but good wrtiegnhave dialgoue

jenks
November 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM
All the dialog and clever writing in the world counts for **** if the audience isn't entertained.

Bakhesh
November 17th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I was even bowled over by the actor playing the seer. WOW... A guest actor that out shined the others.

Martin Jarvis (Davos) has been around for years on British TV, and is pretty well known. Its a shame they couldn't have had such a quality actor in a recurring role.

jelgate
November 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I am nglad you liker actiobn scene +?* plot w/vrisus or magical sapce shipr but good wrtiegnhave dialgoueAtlantis has good dialouge, action, and as jenkssaid keeps the auidence attention.BSG barely quailifies 1 of the 3 criteria

Mitchell82
November 17th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Atlantis has good dialouge, action, and as jenkssaid keeps the auidence attention.BSG barely quailifies 1 of the 3 criteria

Unless you just want to watch a mockery of what BSG should be.

inta
November 18th, 2007, 06:15 AM
why is everyone talking about BSG?

BSG and SGA are completely different shows.

BSG is a military drama set in space.
SGA is SciFi set in space.

space is the only thing they have in common. silly to compare the two

SG13-NightOps
November 18th, 2007, 09:01 AM
why is everyone talking about BSG?

BSG and SGA are completely different shows.

BSG is a military drama set in space.
SGA is SciFi set in space.

space is the only thing they have in common. silly to compare the two

Because it was first implied that BSG is an example of what a GOOD science fiction show is. I personally disagree. I found it detestable. I would rather be watching the 70's version back to back, interspersed with ST:TOS.

I am simply trying to let it be known that differing tastes around here means that making SGA more BSG would just create a whole new crew of Anti's.

But I agree with Redhooks - This one was very B5ish. They have truly embraced story arcs and created some great foreshadowing. This season in itself has been like watching B5 - not in plots/stories etc - but in that it moved from the slow build up and 'getting to know you' phase and now into the more action (B5 S1->S2) heralded by new leadership. I almost didnt watch all of B5. I saw The Gathering and loved it, then got badly turned off by how slow season 1 was. Thankfully a friend prodded me to give season 2 a chance and now the whole collection sits on my DVD shelf. I have a some expectations and a lot of hope for season 4 - and so far I have not been dissapointed.

I still want more Team episodes though. :(

DigiFluid
November 18th, 2007, 09:36 AM
A new high? That's being pretty damn generous, I'd never call this a "new high" in a million years. That said though, it wasn't terrible. It still falls comfortably into Atlantis' established nook of mediocrity, but it was still better than most of the eps this season. I'd put it at #2, behind 'Missing'.

kurya
November 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Hey
Just butting in here, first time poster in this section at least. Just wanted to say I don't watch BSG, no cable, it seems good writing but too depressing for me. However I don't want to do a comparison of that. Apples and oranges etc.

Now B5, I am a huge fan of. Stargate atlantis, has never been the greatest story telling for me, it has been alright. It tends to be more of an escapist jaunt, and I watch it more for the humour. Season 4, I have to say in terms of overall quality(reunion and travelers being some misses for me), has been quite decent... better then previous seasons. And has presented some interesting issues and concepts.

I really liked Seer. While it did seem a bit segmented, you know that this will be really the arc story telling that the exec producers have been talking about. B5 for me will always be the pinnacle of arc story telling. Nothing can compare to that. I won't say Stargate Atlantis is B5 level... but I am glad they seem to have taken some notes from that show and have incorporated into this show.

The notion of context is quite interesting. I really liked how in this season there have been more character moments, like Mckay's expression of guilt over the genocide done by the replicators, and how Carter's expression of indecision caught in the middle. I like that. Plus I loved the wraith character, I think he is amazing, and adds to the dimension of the wraith who are more than just 1 dimensional villains.
Prakash

SG13-NightOps
November 18th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Hey
Just butting in here, first time poster in this section at least. Just wanted to say I don't watch BSG, no cable, it seems good writing but too depressing for me. However I don't want to do a comparison of that. Apples and oranges etc.

Now B5, I am a huge fan of. Stargate atlantis, has never been the greatest story telling for me, it has been alright. It tends to be more of an escapist jaunt, and I watch it more for the humour. Season 4, I have to say in terms of overall quality(reunion and travelers being some misses for me), has been quite decent... better then previous seasons. And has presented some interesting issues and concepts.

I really liked Seer. While it did seem a bit segmented, you know that this will be really the arc story telling that the exec producers have been talking about. B5 for me will always be the pinnacle of arc story telling. Nothing can compare to that. I won't say Stargate Atlantis is B5 level... but I am glad they seem to have taken some notes from that show and have incorporated into this show.

The notion of context is quite interesting. I really liked how in this season there have been more character moments, like Mckay's expression of guilt over the genocide done by the replicators, and how Carter's expression of indecision caught in the middle. I like that. Plus I loved the wraith character, I think he is amazing, and adds to the dimension of the wraith who are more than just 1 dimensional villains.
Prakash

What is it my friend says? Oh, thats right.

Get out of my head!

Demerzel
November 18th, 2007, 05:22 PM
A new high? That's being pretty damn generous, I'd never call this a "new high" in a million years. That said though, it wasn't terrible. It still falls comfortably into Atlantis' established nook of mediocrity, but it was still better than most of the eps this season. I'd put it at #2, behind 'Missing'.

{Mod Snip}
I pretty much agree with all the previous posts, as this was my favorite season 4 episode to date. Missing? Sorry, but while it was an okay episode, it wasn't the best. Danny Trejo's appearance wasn't enough to make it better than it was, no matter how much I like the guy.

{Mod Snip} happened to be pretty damn good this week.

Amalthea
November 18th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I agree with kurya. I don't think you can compare any show, sci fi or not to B5. Except maybe Lost, since they already know where they're headed and how long it'll take to get there.

In the Stargate universe, I'd say this episode was pretty good! It's always a good time when you have to trust "the bad guy." This episode had suspense and made you question your judgment about what should be done. At the same time, there was character development.

So overall, this episode wore many hats and did it well! I enjoyed it very, very much!

Demerzel
November 18th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Yep, loved it!

I would add more, but like Lincoln, if you say too much here, you get shot.

Demerzel
November 18th, 2007, 11:03 PM

ROFL.

Just noticed you're from Ontario. Alright, you're forgiven. Pauvre tete carree.

SG13-NightOps
November 18th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I agree with kurya. I don't think you can compare any show, sci fi or not to B5. Except maybe Lost, since they already know where they're headed and how long it'll take to get there.

The only thing Lost and B5 have in common is Mira Furlan.

In the Stargate universe, I'd say this episode was pretty good! It's always a good time when you have to trust "the bad guy." This episode had suspense and made you question your judgment about what should be done. At the same time, there was character development.

So overall, this episode wore many hats and did it well! I enjoyed it very, very much!

I doubt Weir would have trusted the bad guy in this situation - especially after being burnt last time then raked over the coals for it. I did love that you were completely lost as to what to do. And the "insight" was making it harder - as it rightfully should. Very good job by the writers on this one.

Why Carson? Why?
November 19th, 2007, 12:51 AM

Missing WAS BY FAR THE WORST EPISODE IN SGA HISTORY!

DigiFluid
November 19th, 2007, 03:06 AM

I see you've never seen 'The Hive', 'The Tower', 'Allies', 'Irresistible', 'Irresponsible', 'The Ark', 'First Strike', or 'Doppelganger'.

AutumnDream
November 19th, 2007, 03:33 AM
The only ones out of those that really compare in awfulness are The Tower and Irresponsible.

jelgate
November 19th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Your joking :lol: There hav been episodes worse than Missing ie The Ark and Trinity

jenks
November 19th, 2007, 09:56 AM

And this post is in no way exaggerated because you're so anti-Keller? Right.

kurya
November 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I really liked Trinity actually. And Missing I thoroughly enjoyed. Now I have read some comments, and while I understand how people may not be interested in Missing(it is a different style and not a team episode etc), all the hyperbole of how horrible that episode was probably stems from Keller's main role in that episode. OH and Doppleganger I loved... but with all things its subjective ain't it?

I also wanted to get more into B5 a bit...I can't help it I am a B5 nut, but I think another reason why you can't really compare SGA and B5, is that its a completely different tone. B5, was a grand space opera, with a large arc involving philosophical disputes between the benefits of chaos vs order. And that was just one aspect. The language of B5 was operatic, just listen to Londo And G'kar. It is verbose and poetical. You can't compare it to Stargate. But I don't think SGA should venture that route since it would lose what makes it endearing. It shouldn't try to be like B5, it would fail horribly.

What I appreciate is the usage of story arcs because it helps create the flow of story, and allows the writers to tell a longer story then one that has to be wrapped up in 42 minutes. The medium of TV allows one to do that. But what makes SGA enjoyable is the characters and the interactions, the action is fine, but the humour does it for me. I love humour, and I need it in my life. While SGA has gotten darker this season, it still retains that humour.
Prakash

Amalthea
November 19th, 2007, 01:40 PM
The only thing Lost and B5 have in common is Mira Furlan.

LOL Fair enough! I just meant with the planned story arcs adding to the quality of the story lines. B5 is 10,000,000x better than Lost.

Mitchell82
November 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM

I understand your view but I disagree. For me the option to not have Weir was the bet thing to make a great show excellent. This season has been full of highs and thi is at the top of the list.

Phenix
November 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Just my 2 cents but I like BSG. I'm not the biggest BSG fan but I was a HUGE fan of the Cylon occupation episodes. I do not know of any other show that has touched on the morality of suicide bombers.

And you really can not compare B5 to any SG show since B5 is based in speculative fiction. It is also a book for TV. I think SGA would be an excellent speculative fiction show but I'm not sure how a lot of SGA fans would like that approach. To me B5 is comparable to shows like BSG, Lost, Angel, Buffy, and most HBO/Showtime shows like The Wire, BrotherHood, and Dexter. I am only talking about the episode genre not the content of the show.

Anyway, this was a good episode.

Fenrir Foxz
November 20th, 2007, 01:03 AM
This is spoiler free.

Tech Junkie

:tealc:Indeed!
A gripping episode from beginning to end... The essence of such episodes as this is what I love about the Stargate franchise!!!!!

marty2006
November 20th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Well we should be expecting more of this because sg1 is finished, the shows werent intended at first to run together so all focus this season has been on atlantis alone.

SGFerrit
November 20th, 2007, 07:24 AM
I personally enjoyed Missing alot. And I enjoyed The Seer even more. The only ep I didn't particularly enjoy that much this season has been Travelers.

At the mo, this is how I rank the episodes in terms of enjoyment. I thought Doppelganger and Adrift were grat, so what doeas that say about the rest? lol. IMO, the entire season has been a new high for Stagate.

Favourite

Lifeline
The Seer
Tabula Rasa
Reunion
Missing
Adrift
Doppelganger

Travelers

Least Favourite

bluealien
November 20th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I personally enjoyed Missing alot. And I enjoyed The Seer even more. The only ep I didn't particularly enjoy that much this season has been Travelers.

At the mo, this is how I rank the episodes in terms of enjoyment. I thought Doppelganger and Adrift were grat, so what doeas that say about the rest? lol. IMO, the entire season has been a new high for Stagate.

Favourite

Lifeline
The Seer
Tabula Rasa
Reunion
Missing
Adrift
Doppelganger

Travelers

Least Favourite

Ah, interesting.

I actually found Lifeline my least favourite so far. It's interesting seeing the different views on each fav and least fav ep..

So far I feel season 4 has been great but the Seer isn't my favourite, though still a very enjoyable ep.

Entertaining wise I will go in the following order/

Doppelganger.
Missing
Seer
Travelers.
Adrift
Reunion
Tabula Rasa
Lifeline

jenks
November 20th, 2007, 10:30 AM
For me it would be:

Tabula Rasa
Doppelganger
Adrift
The Seer
Missing
Reunion
Lifeline
Travelers

Lythisrose
November 20th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Doppelganger
Tabula Rasa
Adrift
Lifeline
Travelers
Seer
Reunion
Missing

Mitchell82
November 20th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I don't have a least favorite but this is how I'd rate them.
Adrift:A+ Excellent follow up to First Strike and has us in immense danger.
Lifeline: A+ Excellent ep with great team interaction and finally making Weir a great character.
Doppleganger:A+ Perfect no more to say.
Reunion:A+ Great team ep and excellent development for Ronon.
Travelers:B+ Great ep but still so many unanswered questions.
Tabula Rasa:A+ Great story character development and Rodney the hero.
Missing:A+ Great team and character ep and great development for Keller.
The Seer.A+++++++ Perfect again nothing more to say.

jelgate
November 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I take it we didn't like Reunion

Mitchell82
November 20th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I take it we didn't like Reunion

Ooops forgot one. Fixing.

AutumnDream
November 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Tabula Rasa: A Pretty good. Interesting plot that maintained interest from start to end.
Doppleganger: B Not bad.
The Seer. B+ A step in the right direction for the series.
Lifeline: B It had several problems, but stands out because of Weir.
Adrift: C+ Not awful, but not terribly compelling either.
Reunion: C- Meh.
Travelers: F Please never do this again.
Missing: F A montage of forest scenes with no actual plot. It's pretty bad when you know everything about an episode just from coming to Gateworld's front page every so often and not reading spoilers.

blue-skyz
November 20th, 2007, 03:42 PM
To stay on topic: The Seer was very entertaining and ranks with the best of the action/sci-fi episodes of SGA.

Ranked for repeatability
As time goes on, repeatability changes, but at the moment this is the list. I really need to watch them again to be fair. I like them all (except Missing) very much, so the ranking is kind of arbitrary. Season 4 is the best season yet. IMO

Travelers – because Sheppard is my favorite, there is lots of sci-fi, and it is just fun on several levels. It has proven to be very repeatable.
Adrift – primarily for the tension of the city in peril, the disagreement over the nanites and the spacesuit scene. Very repeatable.
The Seer – great sci-fi. Hard to tell about repeatability, but seems like it will be.

The next four are about equal, so this is an approximate order. Definitely need to rewatch.

Doppelganger – fantastic teaser, interesting character development, and a cool Sheppard v Sheppard fight. Just rewatched this one.
Lifeline
Tabula Rasa
Reunion
-
-
-
-
Missing – a distant last. I am extremely unlikely to ever watch this again. About equal with TRW.

jelgate
November 20th, 2007, 05:27 PM
This was a hard list to compose considering that S4 has been fantastic
The Seer
Lifeline
Tabula Rasa
Missing
Adrift
Reunion
Travlers
Doppleganger
All theses episode were equal in terms of quality to me

PG15
November 20th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I don't think this is the topic guys....but...

Best to...least best:

Doppleganger
Reunion
Lifeline
Adrift
Tabula Rasa
The Seer
Missing
Travelers

AutumnDream
November 20th, 2007, 10:51 PM
*high fives*

Derailing threads is rad.

Mitchell82
November 21st, 2007, 05:45 PM
I don't think this is the topic guys....but...

Best to...least best:

Doppleganger
Reunion
Lifeline
Adrift
Tabula Rasa
The Seer
Missing
Travelers

Topic? What topic?;)