PDA

View Full Version : New Stargate Prop?

DeRoest
November 16th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I don't have a screenshot, but was that a new Stargate prop in this episode? It looked sort-of gold colored and the event horizon was nicer. I don't know, maybe I just need to lay off the skooma

techjunkie
November 16th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Cut the caffeine as well. No gold color.

Franklyn Blaze
November 16th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Definitely gold coloring, you're not hallucinating.

jds1982
November 16th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Wasn't it CGI, no prop?

DeRoest
November 16th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Wasn't it CGI, no prop? well the event horizon is obviously, but i think they typically lug a plastic prop to the forest set each episode

Mitchell82
November 16th, 2007, 11:51 PM
well the event horizon is obviously, but i think they typically lug a plastic prop to the forest set each episode

They use to but I'm fairly certain it's all CG now. Much easier than lugging one arround. BTW most wouldn't understand your skooma line but I'm an Elder Scrolls fanatic as well. On my fourth time through oblivion now.;)

Freekzilla
November 17th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I thought the gate looked a bit hinky this week. I guess it wasn't the drugs the doctors are making me take, seeing as I'm not the only one that noticed it looked different. :jack_new_anime18: I didn't necessarily see it as being gold colored, but more shiney and metalic and reflecting the outside light.

Athosian Death facilitator
November 17th, 2007, 02:41 AM
They keep changing the Stargate puddle, when they should have a stock one, like they use for when they shoot the practicle puddle on to the screen.(listen to the season 3 commentaries.)

I mean seriously, the puddle in Reunion when Carter first walked in, YUKK!!!.

I am not surprised that this episode would have a faulty puddle, but i still say, MEH!!

iolanda
November 17th, 2007, 05:22 AM
There has never been a stargate prop in Atlantis, it was always CGI!

And for me this one looked golden as well. Maybe the Ancients had some sort of stargates produced(in SGA some even have 9 chevrons and some have 8 ;) ).

SaberBlade
November 17th, 2007, 06:36 AM
The gate did look more golden this week, however I just considered it down to the odd colour of the atmosphere when they arrived on the other side. Sort of like K'Tau or the two or three other worlds we've seen with a different colour.

kirmit
November 17th, 2007, 07:10 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/kirmit/goldengate.jpg
It looks just asif it's the atmosphere effecting the colour of the colour.

Vala_M
November 17th, 2007, 08:44 AM
They have never had a second gate prop for Atlantis unlike SG-1. It has been a CG gate every time in Atlantis for offworld gates.

Vala,

WingedPegasus
November 17th, 2007, 10:22 AM
There has never been a stargate prop in Atlantis, it was always CGI!

I dunno, I've seen a few behind the scenes shots and the Stargate was definitely there. Not active, but there. Do they actually go to all the trouble to add it in?

SaberBlade
November 17th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I always thought that SGA did have a plastic gate for use when on location.

If an offworld gate is going to be seen just once (like with this episode) the gate is just CGI because they don't need to worry about interacting with it or even having to show it again. But if there is going to be a lot of gate time, or showing the gate often then they'd use a prop.

That's what they did with SG1.

kirmit
November 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM
No Vala M is right, I believe it's mentioned on one of the commentaries in the first season that there is only one actual pegasus gate (which is rubber) and the offworld gate is always cgi.

DeRoest
November 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM
No Vala M is right, I believe it's mentioned on one of the commentaries in the first season that there is only one actual pegasus gate (which is rubber) and the offworld gate is always cgi.
wow, you'd think that would be more expensive

kirmit
November 17th, 2007, 12:58 PM
wow, you'd think that would be more expensive

More expensive than building a new gate, lugging it to different locations every week, having people set it up, then dismantle it again to be taken to the next location for next weeks episode? Personally I don't see a cgi gate being that expensive, it's the puddle that would be more exspenisve and you'd have that on a real gate aswell. If they really wanted to they could take the gate from the Atlantis gateroom and take that on location as it's not a permenant fixture in the gateroom.

Vala_M
November 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM
They also started using the CG gates for SG-1 in season 10 and possibly season 9. It's most noticecable in "Prototype" when all of SG-4 is shown exiting the gate on P3X-584.

And this is a little bit off-topic but what is up with the CG people always changing the gate's puddle? Personally, I liked the original puddle in season 1, it looked more viscous and more like what the gate puddle should be like, the newer ones are too bright and not as viscous.

Vala,

Mitchell82
November 17th, 2007, 07:11 PM
And this is a little bit off-topic but what is up with the CG people always changing the gate's puddle? Personally, I liked the original puddle in season 1, it looked more viscous and more like what the gate puddle should be like, the newer ones are too bright and not as viscous.

Vala,

To spice things up I guess I barely noticed though.

DeRoest
November 18th, 2007, 01:23 AM
no i think theyve definetly improved. the event horizon in sg1 looks pretty goofy sometimes. it looks now almost as good as in the original movie when they filmed water and airjets.

Platschu
November 18th, 2007, 03:20 AM
If I know well the SG-1 prop gate costed 250 000 $. They broke the gate set in the studio at season 8, so they had to write stories without the stargate or they used old scenes. :o

inta
November 18th, 2007, 06:11 AM
the whole planet had a sunset type color to it.

marty2006
November 18th, 2007, 11:44 AM
It was definitely cgi, not another prop.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I do hate the CGI 'Gates. They're never correct, always inconsistant and always seem to be backwards too. I agree about the EH. I always liked the original. It looks a lot nicer.

Mitchell82
November 19th, 2007, 04:47 PM
If I know well the SG-1 prop gate costed 250 000 $. They broke the gate set in the studio at season 8, so they had to write stories without the stargate or they used old scenes. :o

Really? They did use the gate alot and it wasn't always old shots.

Mitchell82
November 19th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I do hate the CGI 'Gates. They're never correct, always inconsistant and always seem to be backwards too. I agree about the EH. I always liked the original. It looks a lot nicer.

Not always they usually look cool the only thing is they usually are missing the 9th chevron but no biggie since it's never utilized.

Orlin2000
November 22nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
do they bother with the platforms to hold the gates anymore or are they all just in the ground... id like to see a good old fashioned stone base every now and then... and yes it looked goldish... but im going with the planet haavin a funny colour... neway i like the idea of a golden gate....