Terry Pratchett/Diskworld Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terry Pratchett/Diskworld Discussion/Appreciation

Maybe the Greatest Comedy Sci-Fi/Fantasy crossover author available,IMO!

I love his Surreal twists and sense of fun expressed through his assorted writings.Don't get me wrong,I like tons of other Serious or Comic Authors too,but I just feel a real connection to Terry and his Characters!

Anyone else out there?
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Can't stand the Discworld series. What a load of rubbish. Death certainly isn't my fave character, I absolutely do not find him or his thing about cats at all cute or amusing and I don't like Commander Vimes all that much, either.

Comment

Oh Yeah? The mere fact that you know the names,proves you at least dipped in/read one or more of these novels!! LOL!

Comment

I've only read a couple of them - Guards Guards, Truckers (I think) and Good Omens which is my fave so far. I think I've read another but I can't remember which. It might have been The Colour Of Magic (or whatever the first one is called).

I must read more - I really enjoy them.
        Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ah, The Discworld, my second favourite series of books, after David Eddings.
          It's very difficult to pick a favourite character, there are so many. Possibly The Librarian, although Death, Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are all in contention.
          Likewise it's also difficult to pick a favourite book. Each are good in their own way, although I am slightly less enamoured of the books that concentrate on Cmdr. Vimes and the Watch. Soul Music was good, however, with the motorbike, built by the Librarian and ridden by Death, and the wizard with "Born To Rune" on his back!
          I also like the way TP has of using the names of popular films in his own titles, such as "The Fifth Elephant".
          All in all, I enjoy the fairly gentle shots of satire, and the out and out lunacy that pops up from time to time. I have recommended the books to other people, and have yet to find some-one who didn't enjoy them.
          sigpic

Comment

Good Omens is one of the five books I'd want with me if I ever got stranded on a deserted island/planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceminx
              I've only read a couple of them - Guards Guards, Truckers (I think) and Good Omens which is my fave so far. I think I've read another but I can't remember which. It might have been The Colour Of Magic (or whatever the first one is called).

I must read more - I really enjoy them.
              There's a sequel to "The Colour Of Magic". Also starring Rincewind and Twoflower. IMO,"The Light Fantastic" is even funnier!

There're loads of Discworld Novels and Companion Books available.Most libraries stock copies of TP's novels,and they don't nec have to be read in published order to enjoy the stories.

The "Guards" stories are really funny,but the "Witches" novels are my personal favourites.

The thing I really like most, about TP's writings, is that he weaves a lot more than just rather slapstick humour into his storylines and characters.There's a very pointed satire or a serious POV about Human Nature,blended in with all the fun!

Comment

Never really warmed up to the witches. LOVE the guards, though. I even have the graphic novel of Guards! Guards! ...I think I have one for Mort, too, although it's been ages since I've seen it. Maybe it was a library thing. Saw the movie of Soul Music. Eh. It was OK. I like the books best, I think.

I wanna say there's some theatre troupe in London that puts on productions of Pterry's stuff. Would love to see THAT some day.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  Good Omens is one of the five books I'd want with me if I ever got stranded on a deserted island/planet.
                  Cool choice Shadow.

Excellent Good v Evil story,IMO.A bit "Darker" than some of TP's usual mix,but still a good read.

(Now you've intrigued me as to the Titles of the rest of your top 5 ! )

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
                    (Now you've intrigued me as to the Titles of the rest of your top 5 ! )
                    Actually, I usually don't think beyond the first two, but now that I've given it a bit more thought, I'd have to say (in no particular order):
                    Good Omens by Pterry and Neil Gaiman
                    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
                    Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
                    Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook (hey, if I'm gonna be alone I'm gonna need to know how to survive!)
                    And then either a book of HP Lovecraft stories (because being abandoned in the mysterious middle of nowhere isn't scary enough), a book of baby names (for story writing purposes), or maybe Bellwether by Connie Willis.

Not very deep choices, but fun reads, and I think that'd be important. I used to include the Complete Works of William Shakespeare, but the naked truth of it is... I like his stuff better on stage than in a book.

Comment

Hmmmm! Seem rather interesting selections,I'll need to look up some of those books.I've heard of H.P.Lovecraft,but haven't read any of their books.

IMO,nothing wrong with "Fun" reads:they make RL go away and leave me in peace for a while! Good old Escapism,and plenty of it, is kinda my personal Zen.

As for the Shakespeare,I loathed dissecting the plays in English Lessons.I left High School vowing to never have anything to do with the Bard Of Avon again,but the strange thing is I rather like watching the plays on TV,or listening to the "Comedies" on radio.Weird!

Comment

Mere accumulation of observational evidence is not proof.
                        The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Just thought I'd mention my supreme awe, respect and total worship of the great being known as Terry Pratchett...

I first came across Pratchett when I opened Wyrd Sisters and read this conversation.

"When shall we three meet again?"

"Well, I can do next tuesday"

It just started me giggling, and I haven't stopped since. It's not just that he's hysterically funny (becasue he is, and he has a wonderful sense of the absurd). It's that his characters are wonderfully real...well, as real as a werewolf, or a man with a duck on his head, or a librarian who happens to be orangatuan can be. (Hey, I used to be a librarian....he's not far wrong). They're not just ciphers or stereotypes to make us laugh, they are real, living, breathing people (well, except for Death, and his horse Binky) with feelings and emotions and flaws just like you and me (well, I say you..I presume you're human). We laugh hysterically with them as much as at them, and when they hurt, we cry with them too. (Okay, i admit it, I've cried at a Pratchett book..). And there have been times when's it's been bonechilling scary.

So, do you agree, or am I making as much sense as the Hedgehog song? Is Nanny Ogg surprisingly sexy, or just repulsive? Is Sam Vimes or Granny Weatherwax the coolest person on the planet balancing on four elephants on the back of a giant turtle? Is Lord Vetinari your sex god, or Captain Carrott?

There, I've started the ball rolling. Now someone else pick it up, run screaming with it before you're bought down by a well-mannered troll.
                          Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

Hey, I've got to agree; the Discworld books are pretty amazing. I've been reading them for about 7 years now. Not very long but I've loved it. I still haven't read them all yet! Should probably get the rest sometime....

Anywho, absolutely superb books and everyone should read them!
                            "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

new one out, called going postal, set in ankh-morpork, so hopefully will have the nightwatch in..i love those guys..
                              Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

Working...
                              X