Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a SG1 movie with a budget of 100 mil €?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about a SG1 movie with a budget of 100 mil €?

It's just in idea. Having a SG1 movie with that kind of budget could even rivale STAR WARS . What do you think?
    sigpic

Too much of a risk.

Comment

It'd never make that amount in the box office. Besides, big budget doesn't mean good movie, besides, the smaller the budget the more attention they have to pay to acting and writing, rather than special effects.
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Unless George Lucas himself was to pay for it, a budget that rivals Star Wars would never, ever happen. Hell, i'm surprised Star Trek is supposed to getting $160 million which is no doubt is all down to the fact JJ Abrams is in control with people he's worked with.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          Unless George Lucas himself was to pay for it, a budget that rivals Star Wars would never, ever happen. Hell, i'm surprised Star Trek is supposed to getting $160 million which is no doubt is all down to the fact JJ Abrams is in control with people he's worked with.
          160 million dollar? That would be enough for 80 episode!

I think a cool SG-1 movie could be made from 20-30 million dollar. CGI aliens, CGI worlds are very expensive.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post

I think a cool SG-1 movie could be made from 20-30 million dollar. CGI aliens, CGI worlds are very expensive.

Proper CGI is expensive . We can thank the Watchowski Brothers and George Lucas for that . Those people pushed things to the limit ... I imagine TPTB to knock on George Lucas's door : "Hey Georgie, can you give us a hand with our CGI? ILM would do such a good job with the SG Universe!!!

Comment

Earlier ILM was unique, but nowadays there are cheaper effect maker studios. I believe if the Rainmaker can get some million dollar only for special effects, they can make everything on their computers as theirs big brother, the ILM.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I'd love to see it, imagine 'Camelot' times 100 but it'll never happen unfortunately, wish it would, there haven't been any good sci-fi flicks out recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post

k i have to admit the score for the budget i threw in is way to big but like you said 20 or 30 million dollars could vastly improve the CGI effects on the movies and give us more fun
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by runnerX View Post
                    k i have to admit the score for the budget i threw in is way to big but like you said 20 or 30 million dollars could vastly improve the CGI effects on the movies and give us more fun
                    Unless the movie is on theatrical release, it'd be such a big risk to chunk out this huge amount of money for a movie whose revenue is based soley on DVD sales.
                    "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gkyun View Post
                      Unless the movie is on theatrical release, it'd be such a big risk to chunk out this huge amount of money for a movie whose revenue is based soley on DVD sales.
                      I was thinking of a theatrical release when I wrote this thread but that's not going to happen in the nearby future.
                      sigpic

Comment

Even if every stargate fan whent to see the movie and got the DVD they would maybe just brake even
                        sigpic
                        Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                        Metal gear fan

Comment

Originally posted by Promethius30 View Post
                          Even if every stargate fan whent to see the movie and got the DVD they would maybe just brake even
                          I'm sure we'd all see it more than once . Besides not just stargate fans would see it, alot of people would just see it out of interest, it may make profit but not a substancial one.

Comment

I was thinking of a theatrical release when I wrote this thread but that's not going to happen in the nearby future.
                            A show that averages just over 1 million live viewers, that's been out for over 10 seasons will never get a theatrical release. Never mind with a $100m dollar budget!

Serenity was new show with very few eps, so it was easier to get a theatrical release. Even that only had a budget like $40m. Which it didn't do too good for getting that back either!

Stargate will be lucky to get back the $7m budget for the DVD movies never mind over ten times that!

If Stargate wanted to go big & have a chance of making it at the box office, they have 2 choices. Do sequels to the original movie with RE & DD featuring the original cast. Either that or start the franchise from scratch again like they did with Bond. Cut out all the stuff from SG-1. Take it right from the very beginning featuring a whole new cast with some big name stars in it. Tyhat's the only way Stargate could do anything at the box office.

Putting $100m down, using the SG-1 cast & crew then throwing it in the cinema will produce huge, huge, huge, huge losses!

Put it this way, the more money the gugs as BS have to work with, the more they'd go on the effects rather than the actual story. So giving them less money forces them to work on the script more!

Comment

It's just in idea. Having a SG1 movie with that kind of budget could even rivale STAR WARS . What do you think?
                              I think it won't happen. SG-1 is a popular show, but not on the scale of Star Trek or The X Files. MGM seems to think that lower-budget direct-to-video movies is the way to go.

Originally posted by Promethius30 View Post
                              You're assuming no one else will see the movie, which is a ridiculous assumption. Lots of nonfans went to see the various Star Trek movies and The X Files movie at the theaters and have since rented or bought the DVD's. Therefore, it's logical to assume lots of nonfans will pickup a Stargate movie DVD, thinking it might be a cool science-fiction movie to watch, and consequently rent or buy the DVD.

Comment

Working...
                              X