X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we retrofit Goa'uld motherships?

We could take out the stupid hallways and pimp it with the D' class hallways, with D' class conduits/bridge/systems/powercore.

Goa'uld Mother ships are supposed to be pretty big so as long as the systems are integrated enough, and designed around the Goa'uld mother ships size, i don't see the problem.
    sigpic
    i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

That would mean that the only thing we were going to save was the shell of the ship and they're hardly practical.

Goa'uld ships are designed partly to inspire fear in those who see them. Earth ships are designed to kick the crap out of stuff as efficiently as possible.

I agree we should strip them for parts but with the recent upgrades to the 304's most of the tech from a mothership would have been superseded, they just benefit from the size and available power...
    Nu ani Anquietas :: We are the Ancients, well some of us

Comment

By the time you've factored in removing all the internal space, replacing them with custom internal spaces, interface systems R & D + installation, the cost of main systems like Hyperdrives, Life Support, ID, Shields, etc, you probably will've spent more than it costs to build a 304 from scratch.

Maybe in the past when we were incapable of building our own ships, taking a Hatak and throwing in human interfaces would probably've been a good idea.
      Now, its just not worth it. We are a big enough player now that we can build our own ships.

Plus, as Tomouse55 said, the systems we install would probably be superior to what was already there anyway.

Comment

Of course it would be better to take existing ships & put in the new power source, shields & all the other tech that's on the 304's.

Not only would it save time compared to building a ship from scratch, but it would also save on materials & money once you knew what you were doing.

They knockout one 304, maybe stretching to 2 per year. So if you could get the Ha'taks, then you could probably put out many more.

The biggest problem would be the initial cost. The first one or 2 would probably be pricey until till you got everything down to a tee. The other factor would be practicality in replacing all the old useless Goa'uld stuff with the upgraded Earth/Asgard tech.

If it were real-life. I'm sure Earth would have had a fleet of Ha'taks by now. Right after Anubis & Ba'al + the Replicators were all taken care of. Earth would have taken hold of a ton of them right before the Jaffa formed their own government.

With the Asgard matter replicators, they should now be able to pump out many more ships per year than they are managing currently. However with SG-1 off the air, then I don't think we'll see that. Maybe in the last couple of eps ever, we'll see an Earth fleet come to Pegasus to fight the Asurans &/or Wraith.

Comment

Trouble is though when ever you refit any sort of ship you get something thats not either what is started as or what you would build if you were doing it from scratch.

Remember the trouble they had refitting the death glider for the X-301 and Jacob actually mentions the dangers of "just slapping a US Airforce badge on the side" of the Goa'uld technology.

They'd be much better in stripping them down for materials and parts and using that to speed up construction of the Earth fleet with the advanced Asgard/Ancient tech in from the base up. We already know that that method of construction results in a better ship (think Prometheus > Daedalus).

Plus you could also use the stripped down ship as hyperspace capable massive capacity cargo vessels, unmanned if need be to keep up supply lines between earth and any eventual colonies that they establish in the Milky way. In fact you could use them as seeding vessels, pack them with the colonists and then when they get there, land the ship and build it into the centre of the new colony...instant base of operations.
          Nu ani Anquietas :: We are the Ancients, well some of us

Comment

Originally posted by Athosian Death facilitator View Post

We could take out the stupid hallways and pimp it with the D' class hallways, with D' class conduits/bridge/systems/powercore.

Goa'uld Mother ships are supposed to be pretty big so as long as the systems are integrated enough, and designed around the Goa'uld mother ships size, i don't see the problem.
            no what we should do is cross goa'uld ship with a hive ship. mabye add a little ancient sparkle in there too. that would be one bad pain in the Mikta
            your new guide to stargate news.
            www.stargatenews.mypodcast.com

Master Control Radio
            www.mastercontrol.mypodcast.com

Comment

hataks are massive!!

and all the systems it has would take so long, its best just to beam everything off it and biuld from there.

the the weapons would be handy aswell for space and transport of bombs and that but thats gould tech i think i would prefer something the earth actually made
              sigpic

Comment

Well, yes.
                If for some reason they needed a big ship ( bigger than a 304)
                (size matters).
                Plus I believe it would be easier to salvage/capture and upgrade hataks than to produce 304s.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                  If it were real-life. I'm sure Earth would have had a fleet of Ha'taks by now. Right after Anubis & Ba'al + the Replicators were all taken care of. Earth would have taken hold of a ton of them right before the Jaffa formed their own government.
                  The only problem with that is that ships and ship building sites would all be guarded/manned by Jaffa. No matter if they are undecided in their loyalties, for the rebellion, or still loyal to their god, they're not going to abandon their posts as they either want to protect the ships/facilities for someone or they don't know what to do so they're going to continue doing the only thing they know. So, in order for Earth to take control of anything they'd have to kill Jaffa and at that point doing so would anger the up and coming government as they will believe that even if certain Jaffa remained true to the Goa'uld, they would be able to convince them to come over to their side and Earth would have no way of knowing who was who before planning to take a ship. Teal'c probably led them believe that things would be better this way and that an alliance with a reasonable Jaffa government would be in their best interests so Earth didn't want to do anything to anger them as a few ships are not worth having a larger fleet come down on you. Two forces both trying to claim the same spoilers of war can never be a good thing so Earth bowed out and gave the claim to the Jaffa. Had the Jaffa government went as planned it would've been the right move.

Comment

The deconstruction and construction of a current ship would be more expensive and take more time than just building new ships from scratch. Ha'taks would be good for infiltration, but since the Goa'uld are gone, there's no need for them.

It is sad that we couldn't have gotten a couple or 10 Asgard ships. Now those would make sense to retrofit.

Comment

I don't think we'd need to rip all their systems out and start from scratch. Basically upgrade its weapons, shields, hyperdrive then give it a lick of paint, there you go brand new ship capable of carrying many more troops/fighters than our current ships.

Comment

To me that sounds like a terrible idea.

It would be like taking a Geo and trying to make it into a GT, its still a piece of crap it just hits a little harder.

Comment

Give them to other nations. Keep them sweet for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
                            If it were real life Earth would be a smoking ruin.
                            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                              Basically upgrade its weapons, shields, hyperdrive then give it a lick of paint, there you go brand new ship capable of carrying many more troops/fighters than our current ships.
                              Troops and fighters? For what?
                              The Goa'uld are no longer in power. The Ori will be dealt with soon enough. The Free Jaffa are, for all intents and purposes, disbanded. The Wraith are stuck in the Pegasus galaxy. The Asurans aren't going to head to Earth any time soon.
                              So what does Earth need with a capital ship capable of transporting thousands of troops and short-range fighters around the galaxy? Who's the target?
                              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Working...
                              X