Plot Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plot Holes

I've noticed a few plot holes, and I'm disappointed. I thought the writers would have been a little more careful.

First plot hole - Peter's ability to use his learned abilities after losing his memory.

Peter stated in season one, after Claude throws him off the building and he lands on the cab that he healed by thinking about Claire. This is in line with his power of empathic mimicry. It is implied that he shares some sort of empathic connection with individuals in order to mimic their specific power. If he can't remember these people, he shouldn't be able to recall their powers.

Second plot hole - Adam or Claire's blood can heal any ailment or injury.

Adam's blood completely heals Nathan's radiation burns in "4 Months Ago." It was stated in Season 1, by Suresh, that his father Chandra believed that the evolution takes place in the brain. This theory is further backed by the fact that Sylar needs to study the brain of an evolved human to learn their power. If the evolution is in the brain, the blood would have no affect on somebody, as the evolution isn't in the blood, rather the brain. To further prove this point, Claire cannot regenerate if something is obstructing her brain. When the tree branch is lodged in the back of her head, her chest is cut open and does not heal until the tree branch is removed. If you only needed the blood for regeneration, it would have been possible for the rest of her body to heal with the tree branch still lodged in her head.

I wish the writer's would take into account premises they developed in season one before re-writing the underlying concepts of the show or characters.

It's like a wolverine's healing factor. It could be the only the brain was injured and couldn't heal because something was physically occupying the space. We didn't see any additional injuries.

The nitpick I have is 4 months ago was supposed to be peter recalling/recovering his memories, and the story told was using peter's memories so how did he recall stuff when he wasn't there like the wedding and stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Hypochondriac View Post
      It's like a wolverine's healing factor. It could be the only the brain was injured and couldn't heal because something was physically occupying the space. We didn't see any additional injuries.
      She had an additional injury, her chest was sliced open.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
        She had an additional injury, her chest was sliced open.
        Oops. Guess your right. They will probably come up with a stupid reason like he was in telepathic contact or something like that with the cells

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
          I've noticed a few plot holes, and I'm disappointed. I thought the writers would have been a little more careful.

First plot hole - Peter's ability to use his learned abilities after losing his memory.

Peter stated in season one, after Claude throws him off the building and he lands on the cab that he healed by thinking about Claire. This is in line with his power of empathic mimicry. It is implied that he shares some sort of empathic connection with individuals in order to mimic their specific power. If he can't remember these people, he shouldn't be able to recall their powers.

If it's a plot hole then it's the reverse. When Peter first met Claude he adopted his ability immediately and without conscious control. When Claude attacked him on the rooftop..before he threw him off, he used Sylar's power reflexively without thinking about Sylar. It was only after he fell on his ass he decided that "thinking" about it helped. He certainly didn't think about it the first time it happened. I would think the error would be in saying he had to think about it. There's more evidence that he doesn't than that he does including not knowing that Nathan could fly and then them both doing it.

If you only needed the blood for regeneration, it would have been possible for the rest of her body to heal with the tree branch still lodged in her head

Pulling this one out of my ass and fanwanking it unscientifically to death but... if the brain orders the blood cells to behave in a certain way, the blood cells should continue to act in that way until they're dead right? But if the brain doesn't give the order..as it didn't with claire because of the head injury, nothing happens. Adam was conscious when he donated that blood and the blood cells continued to behave in that way even after being transferred. If you ignore all science you just have to go with the theory that it's their blood that performs all the good stuff, like little nanites ordered by a higher computer.

The nitpick I have is 4 months ago was supposed to be peter recalling/recovering his memories, and the story told was using peter's memories so how did he recall stuff when he wasn't there like the wedding and stuff?
          I'm pretty sure the title refers to four months ago for everyone, not just Peter. It just happened that Peter's story was the starting point for the plot and the most dominant.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

If it's a plot hole then it's the reverse. When Peter first met Claude he adopted his ability immediately and without conscious control. When Claude attacked him on the rooftop..before he threw him off, he used Sylar's power reflexively without thinking about Sylar. It was only after he fell on his ass he decided that "thinking" about it helped. He certainly didn't think about it the first time it happened. I would think the error would be in saying he had to think about it. There's more evidence that he doesn't than that he does including not knowing that Nathan could fly and then them both doing it.
            You're absolutely right, the error was really in having Peter say what he said about thinking about the person to recall the power. It still qualifies as a plot hole, however I do believe they've demonstrated that it's more likely a passive power (empathic mimicry) than active. In other words, his body has mimicked the power and can recall it without Peter thinking about the original owner of the power.

Pulling this one out of my ass and fanwanking it unscientifically to death but... if the brain orders the blood cells to behave in a certain way, the blood cells should continue to act in that way until they're dead right? But if the brain doesn't give the order..as it didn't with claire because of the head injury, nothing happens. Adam was conscious when he donated that blood and the blood cells continued to behave in that way even after being transferred. If you ignore all science you just have to go with the theory that it's their blood that performs all the good stuff, like little nanites ordered by a higher computer.
            Yea, I mean you can look at it like that and tie it into the brain, but that's a convoluted process. They clearly needed a solution to the virus and the blood from Adam or Claire was an easy fix, so they had no problem ignoring what they previously said about the brain. I guess we can assume at this point that there is more to evolution than just the brain as far as the show canon is concerned.

Comment

Neither of those constitute a plot hole, Peter doesn't have to think about the people in order to use the powers, but he does have to think about them if he wishes to control them, VERY different things. As for the blood/brain, it's not a cop out or a plot hole, that's an obvious answer, of course the powers would be in their blood, it originates in the brain, but in order for Claire, Peter or Adam to heal the power would have to be transported around the body somehow.
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
                Neither of those constitute a plot hole, Peter doesn't have to think about the people in order to use the powers, but he does have to think about them if he wishes to control them, VERY different things. As for the blood/brain, it's not a cop out or a plot hole, that's an obvious answer, of course the powers would be in their blood, it originates in the brain, but in order for Claire, Peter or Adam to heal the power would have to be transported around the body somehow.
                Technically its a genetic mutation that leaves a marker in the brain. if Heroes canon insists that it is only a brain base mutation then its a very fragile foundation. Adam's and most likely Claire's immortality is a genetic mutation that utilizes the ability of cancerous cells to continue mitosis indefinitely. I'm fairly certain that there is a theory about how humans can extend their lives by prolonging the natural rate or number of mitosis of our cells. With that in mind it is entirely possible that the genetic mutations extend to their entire body.

And Peter's ability is not a plot hole. You are just playing a game of gotcha with that one. Peter is able to utilize powers reflexively and by thinking of that person or power. Naturally if he does not remember a power then it'll manifest itself based on reflex alone. Soon he'll have control over the abilities again.

Comment

I have 2 gripes with this last episode and one from last season. I'm not sure if they are plot holes or just sloppy writing but they do seem a bit weird to me.

1. At the end of "Four Months Ago" we see the Haitian wiping Peter's memory and saying he deserves a better life (Paraphrase), then he gives him the necklace, the one thing that could lead him right back to his former life. Now I understand it was a plot device for the eagle-eyed fans to catch in "Four Months Later" and say "The Haitian wiped his memory! Look there's his necklace.", but it seems to be a bit counter productive to me to say you deserve a better life than this, then leave him with the only clue he needs to get back there...

2. Bob puts Adam and Peter in cells next to each other?!? No cameras, no listening devices, etc. With this, they just let the 2 of them walk out of there unobstructed?!?

3. Last year we see Peter and Isaac putting the homecoming paintings in order. Peter says "Look it's telling a story, like a comic. Yet the third panel in the series (Hiro and Ando outside the school) happened the next day, AFTER every other panel had already come true.

I know I know, i'm nitpicking with these 3 but to me they just don't gel with the story. With all this said, Heroes is still the best show on television...
                  sigpic

Comment

I've got some things to say that some of you have probobly forgotten......
                    First of all... We have a Nathan.. right? Nathan is a fictional character in the Heroes universe.. Nathan did not know what happend to his bro Pete..He had to be told that by Bob... We all knew what happend to him cause we watched it... Right? Now we have Bob.. He is a Character also..not real... he does not sit by the tv each week to watch Heroes.. Bob tells Suresh about ClairBear... he thinks that she has the same power as Adam..but he does not know that for sure... he knows that she regenarates.. <im not native with eng so dont chop me in half for mistakes> We know that she can be... turned of by some gadget that is in her head.. a branch or as uncle pete sponged .. glass.. Bob know Adam and his power... he experimented..<asumption> with him. All of you know what happens with the characters.. but they do not!. We saw the burned to crisps body of kensei... lets say that his brain was also like a weenie tot.. burned and ugly.. so if his brain did not work or was ... boiled... how did he regenarate? most of you take the asumption that Adams and Claires powers are the same.. but what if not? Ok thats my 3 cents..
                    'Death stands above me, whispering low I know not what in my ear . . .'

Comment

Originally posted by Buddhawasanancient View Post
                      I have 2 gripes with this last episode and one from last season. I'm not sure if they are plot holes or just sloppy writing but they do seem a bit weird to me.

1. At the end of "Four Months Ago" we see the Haitian wiping Peter's memory and saying he deserves a better life (Paraphrase), then he gives him the necklace, the one thing that could lead him right back to his former life. Now I understand it was a plot device for the eagle-eyed fans to catch in "Four Months Later" and say "The Haitian wiped his memory! Look there's his necklace.", but it seems to be a bit counter productive to me to say you deserve a better life than this, then leave him with the only clue he needs to get back there...

2. Bob puts Adam and Peter in cells next to each other?!? No cameras, no listening devices, etc. With this, they just let the 2 of them walk out of there unobstructed?!?

3. Last year we see Peter and Isaac putting the homecoming paintings in order. Peter says "Look it's telling a story, like a comic. Yet the third panel in the series (Hiro and Ando outside the school) happened the next day, AFTER every other panel had already come true.

I know I know, i'm nitpicking with these 3 but to me they just don't gel with the story. With all this said, Heroes is still the best show on television...
                      As for the paintings, that's not a plot hole. Peter just put them together in the wrong order is all.
                      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I think Nathan's beard from the beginning of the season was a plothole, how did he grow that much hair in three weeks.
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                          I think Nathan's beard from the beginning of the season was a plothole, how did he grow that much hair in three weeks.
                          I think of it like RepliWeir's hair. The temporary rapid cell regeneration Nathan had allowed his hair to grow at an abnormal rate for a short time.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                            I think of it like RepliWeir's hair. The temporary rapid cell regeneration Nathan had allowed his hair to grow at an abnormal rate for a short time.
                            Yeah I sorta figured it was something stupid like that, not that you're stupid for thinking of it. I just think they could have had either a less contrived explanation, or thought ahead and not have had Nathan look like a Wookie when the season started.
                            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                              I think its more likely that grown men can simply grow a beard in a shorter period of time. If hair grew at an abnormal rate with regeneration, than Claire and Kensei would look like sasquatches.

Comment

Working...
                              X