What's the point of Nikki in the show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the point of Nikki in the show?

What's the point of Nikki in the series?

I mean her only thing is that she has a split personality and the other
    personality has super strength. Yet Normal Nikki has learned to tap
    into the super strength so what is the point of her in the show?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity View Post
    What's the point of Nikki in the series?

I mean her only thing is that she has a split personality and the other
    personality has super strength. Yet Normal Nikki has learned to tap
    into the super strength so what is the point of her in the show?
    Niki always had super strength. The split personality developed as a result of her being beaten by her father at a young age, but only Jessica was ever strong enough to use the enhanced strength. It wasn't until Niki overcame Jessica and proved she was confident in herself that she could use her abilities.

And I think she's there to show that powers aren't always a gift/aid. They can be a real curse to her, mostly because whenever she doubts herself, they fail to work for her, and a personality that doesn't doubt herself takes over.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Nikki doesn't really seem to have a point anymore and isn't really relating much to the main plot. If anything, it seemed like they were making up excuses just for her character to be there, this season.

Ali Larter is a great actor, but Nikki.... not such a great character.

Comment

Originally posted by nekoi View Post
        Nikki doesn't really seem to have a point anymore and isn't really relating much to the main plot. If anything, it seemed like they were making up excuses just for her character to be there, this season.

Ali Larter is a great actor, but Nikki.... not such a great character.

Ali Larter is great.

But even in the first season what was the point of Nikki, aside
        from being Michah's mother that is?

Comment

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity View Post
          Ali Larter is great.

But even in the first season what was the point of Nikki, aside
          from being Michah's mother that is?
          She had ties with Linderman and Nathan, although she really was just a plot device between the two. Her inclusion in the main plot is really just forced.

Comment

Umm, well at this point
            Spoiler:
            It looks like her big plot point is the new mutated virus surely. Also from 'Four Months Ago' we know that there are other personalities rattling around in there.

I don't really get the Nikki bashing that seems to go on. She's far from the strongest character. In season one her story was interesting, split-personality with super-powers is a great idea, addding Micha and DL into the mix made for a woman struggling against herself as well as coming to terms with the crazy super-powers that she and her family have.

Season Two, on the whole every character has suffered from some distinctly shoddy writing, Nikki is floundering, but
            Spoiler:
            at the moment she's facing certain death, a big issue, especially for Micha considering his dad's already dead
            I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

I'm actually super disappointed in Ali Larter's character this season.

Spoiler:
              This new Gina personality is bogus

I thought they were going in the right direction with this. Originally it appeared as if Jessica cared as much about Micah as Nikki. This stemmed from the fact that Jessica refers to Micah as "our child" and appeared to be very protective of him.

Where I thought they were going, and would have liked, is that in Season 2 Nikki and Jessica have come to an understanding and live in harmony (for the most part) with each other. As evident when Jessica helped Nikki realize that Candice is not her in the Season 1 finale. I was hoping the character would retain the Nikki and Jessica personalities and that it would be like a Jekyl/Hyde scenario where Jessica has access to the super strength and Nikki allows her control in times of stress. It could have been a very Incredible Hulk, "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" kind of deal. Nikki and Jessica could have both been a part of Micah's life, both sharing time with him, as they both care about him. The underlying link between the truce between Nikki and Jessica could have been their love for Micah.

I thought this was where they were heading with her character, but instead they took a fork in the road. Although, during an interview with either Tim Kring or another writer they did say they had a hard time finding a place for the Nikki character in season one, and they had spent more time developing a story line for Season 2. It was in some interview I read somewhere.
              Last edited by jrd231; 15 November 2007, 09:32 AM.

Comment

It's funny, when the show first started my original take on Nikki
                was that she actually physically split into two seperate people one
                super powered Nikki, and the other normal Nikki then merged
                when the other had done its work.

Frankly that would have made her much better and given the two
                personalities a much more "hero" like and supernatural look..

Comment

The show is mostly of how people with those powers react to their powers, so I see Nikki as an example for someone who has huge problems with her power. She is to me, like the other side of a coin compared to Hiro or Nathan for example. Both of them have their powers under control and haven't harmed anybody, whereas Nikki has killed people without wanting to. I think she is there to show us more negative things about powers, how she suffers because of them. So her character even now isn't superfluous because she shows us the bad consequences of having such powers.
                  But compared to the others, she is simply different, because the others do not suffer in the same way as Nikki does, so she looks maybe boring to the other heroes....
                  sigpic

Peter Petrelli: What do you do with something that killed you?
                  Nathan Petrelli: You could put it underneath your pillow.

Comment

I ask the same question since the beginning. I think that I was used to that in Heroes is everything and everyone connected and then suddenly, there is Nikki (and DL), who are not part of the main story too much.
                    I think in S2 is Nikki´s presence...well, if she weren´t there, I think I wouldn´t notice. But I am starting to like her since episode 7. Her reunion with Nathan when they are both now actually "single", her injection of virus...it still could be could good story. Especially now, when she can´t use her power, so she shouldn´t be affected by split personality, too.
                    I think the Gina personality was sudden, kind of plot-hole and they shouldn´t have done it.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

I'm hopeful that the character of Nikki can still be salvaged. It'll take some work, but I think TPTB can get it done. At least, I sure hope so.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                      X