PDA

View Full Version : Remake Of Original Stargate Movie

from_orion
November 14th, 2007, 04:58 AM
What I would love to see is a remake of the original movie that is true to the SG-1 canon. Two examples:

-Jaffa as opposed to humans
-Real story of the goa'uld discovering humans as better hosts than unas

I'd like to hear of some other ideas/thoughts about this!

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
November 14th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Not all planets are populated with Jaffa, the Goa'uld need Humans as hosts so its always good to have a few spares :D Anyway there might not have been enough symbiotes to go around to make all Humans into Jaffa... and if there were, then where would the hosts for the mature symbiotes come from?

Ra found Humans to be better hosts than Unas, maybe not as strong but better looking (Goa'uld are extremely vain) and easier to repair, his reason for choosing a Human host was explained in the film and was carried over into SG-1. (Goa'uld want perfect hosts, as explained in Thor's Hammer)

from_orion
November 14th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Not all planets are populated with Jaffa, the Goa'uld need Humans as hosts so its always good to have a few spares :D Anyway there might not have been enough symbiotes to go around to make all Humans into Jaffa... and if there were, then where would the hosts for the mature symbiotes come from?

Ra found Humans to be better hosts than Unas, maybe not as strong but better looking (Goa'uld are extremely vain) and easier to repair, his reason for choosing a Human host was explained in the film and was carried over into SG-1. (Goa'uld want perfect hosts, as explained in Thor's Hammer)
You completely missed my point. In the staragte movie, symbiotes did not exist. Ra was a full sized alien. Symbiotes were not introduced until SG-1. The mythology changed with the tv show, which I am more than okay with, but some things from the movie, like Ra beng one of the last from a dying race, we now know is false, and the movie could be much improved with canon from the television show. Furthermore, I meant Jaffa as Ra's bodygaurds, as no other goa'lds in any other espisodes had human protectors armed with staff weapons and flying death gliders. I obviously know that Ra would still have many human slaves.

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
November 14th, 2007, 05:53 AM
If you can overlook the changes between the movie and the series then why do you need a remake?

from_orion
November 14th, 2007, 05:57 AM
If you can overlook the changes between the movie and the series then why do you need a remake?
Because my implication was that the tv show perfected/completed/improved the storyline and a better original movie could be made. I said i would love to see it, not that it is needed. Another example is in the movie they claim Abydos is in another galaxy, and in the show Abydos is one of the closest planets with a gate to Earth.

kirmit
November 14th, 2007, 06:12 AM
I wouldn't want a remake on the original movie because well I love the movie and it wouldn't have carter and Tealc in it. Add to that I don't think anyone could pull off Ra as successfully as the original guy did, the writers believe this also, hence why Ra's face was never shown in 'Moebius'

from_orion
November 14th, 2007, 06:25 AM
I wouldn't want a remake on the original movie because well I love the movie and it wouldn't have carter and Tealc in it. Add to that I don't think anyone could pull off Ra as successfully as the original guy did, the writers believe this also, hence why Ra's face was never shown in 'Moebius'
Good points. True that Teal'c would not be part of the story, but Carter could be in the original because as she said in children of the gods, she should have gone through the gate the first time. Therefore, she probably had an integral role in creating the computerized dialing device and other things even though she didn't go to Abydos.

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
November 14th, 2007, 06:28 AM
But then that would change The Children of the Gods! That would need to be remade too! Carter didn't meet O'Neill or Daniel until CoTG so she can't be in the original movie!

from_orion
November 14th, 2007, 06:38 AM
But then that would change The Children of the Gods! That would need to be remade too! Carter didn't meet O'Neill or Daniel until CoTG so she can't be in the original movie!
There is no reason they had to meet. The dialing device and equipment was finished when oneil and jackson appear. She wasn't there when they got there, which is why she did not go with them, but all I said is she could have been in the movie.

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
November 14th, 2007, 06:40 AM
So she would be playing a redundant part? If the dialling equipment was already finished why does she need to be in the movie? It would be like having the people who installed the ramp appearing just to say they put it in!

kirmit
November 14th, 2007, 06:42 AM
There is no reason they had to meet. The dialing device and equipment was finished when oneil and jackson appear. She wasn't there when they got there, which is why she did not go with them, but all I said is she could have been in the movie.

She couldn't have been in a movie remake though, it would change alot so therefore wouldn't be a remake rather than an alternate version of it.

from_orion
November 14th, 2007, 06:45 AM
She couldn't have been in a movie remake though, it would change alot so therefore wouldn't be a remake rather than an alternate version of it.
Not so much alternate version but expanded, covering subjects that were not covered in the original so would not change it. Obviously the dialing device was created by carter and others with very limited knowledge of the gate network before jackson figured out how to choose a destination with it.

SaberBlade
November 14th, 2007, 06:47 AM
It's part of official SG1 canon that Ra did not use Jaffa.

O'Neill said that there "There were no aliens like this. They were human, Ra took them from earth thousands of years ago"

In the great grand scheme of things, a remake isn't needed. For the most part, only a few things need to be changed and those can easily be explained or at least accepted as having to be changed in order for the show to work better.

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
November 14th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Why does the movie need to be expanded to include characters who were never meant to be involved? Maybe we could see what Hammond was up to before he joined the SGC? Or Apophis: The teenage years! :p

from_orion
November 14th, 2007, 06:52 AM
It's part of official SG1 canon that Ra did not use Jaffa.

O'Neill said that there "There were no aliens like this. They were human, Ra took them from earth thousands of years ago"

In the great grand scheme of things, a remake isn't needed. For the most part, only a few things need to be changed and those can easily be explained or at least accepted as having to be changed in order for the show to work better.
Just because there may not have been jaffa on abydos does not make it official that Ra did not use them. There weren't jaffa on abydos for the same reason that ra did not have a symbiote in the head. It was a change in the canon for the tv show.
However I do agree that a remake is not needed, there are many other stories that would be more important movies, such as goa'uld/asgard/fire&water aliens influence on earth in the past, alliance of the four great races, ancient plague era (ori caused or otherwise) and many more i would rather see.

the fifth man
November 14th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Personally, I'm happy with the original movie as it is. I don't really feel that a remake would be necessary.

SaberBlade
November 14th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Just because there may not have been jaffa on abydos does not make it official that Ra did not use them. There weren't jaffa on abydos for the same reason that ra did not have a symbiote in the head. It was a change in the canon for the tv show.
However I do agree that a remake is not needed, there are many other stories that would be more important movies, such as goa'uld/asgard/fire&water aliens influence on earth in the past, alliance of the four great races, ancient plague era (ori caused or otherwise) and many more i would rather see.

But he did use Jaffa. Teal'c had mentioned fighting Ra's Jaffa before. All a remake would do is confirm he had them, which we already know he did. They can't change his human guards to Jaffa because it would contradict 'Children of the Gods' and even adding an extra scene to show he had Jaffa would be pointless because he did have them, at some point he just chose not be surrounded by them.

the fifth man
November 14th, 2007, 07:50 PM
But he did use Jaffa. Teal'c had mentioned fighting Ra's Jaffa before. All a remake would do is confirm he had them, which we already know he did. They can't change his human guards to Jaffa because it would contradict 'Children of the Gods' and even adding an extra scene to show he had Jaffa would be pointless because he did have them, at some point he just chose not be surrounded by them.

That's right. It would contradict that scene early on in "Children of the Gods" where O'Neill tells General Hammond he's never seen that kind of soldier before (the dead Jaffa). He'd only seen human soldiers of Ra on Abydos.

ReganX
November 15th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Good points. True that Teal'c would not be part of the story, but Carter could be in the original because as she said in children of the gods, she should have gone through the gate the first time. Therefore, she probably had an integral role in creating the computerized dialing device and other things even though she didn't go to Abydos.

I'm actually writing a fic with a friend of mine based on the what the movie would have been like with Sam and TV show Jack and Daniel in it and the first stumbling block we came up against was how on Earth Sam would have studied the 'gate technology for two years without either noticing that the symbols were constellations or experimenting with random diallings of the six symbols they had and a seventh chosen at random.

Obviously, she didn't in the original movie because her character didn't exist yet but if they were to incorporate her into a remake, it wouldn't make sense with her background that she wouldn't figure it out.

SionnachOghma and I needed to rewrite history to accomodate her and make the story make sense. TPTB would probably be pelted with rotten tomatoes if they tried to do the same.

Ltcolshepjumper
November 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM
What I would love to see is a remake of the original movie that is true to the SG-1 canon. Two examples:

I'd like to hear of some other ideas/thoughts about this!

The only beef I have with it (and the show) is that Ra is not shown to be very powerful at all. All of the other goauld could handle a human rebellion. ra, however, lost to two rebellions, the second of which resulted in his death. And he is supposed to be the Supreme System Lord.

heliosphere
November 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM
the first stumbling block we came up against was how on Earth Sam would have studied the 'gate technology for two years without either noticing that the symbols were constellations or experimenting with random diallings of the six symbols they had and a seventh chosen at random.

I totally agree with this, because it seems kind of odd for an astrophysicist to not recognize a constellation. And in all the alternate universes, that's what she did. In fact, Daniel pretty much had no point in the other universes. I wonder who would have gotten Catherine's Ra necklace in that case.

I guess he could have been hired for ancient translations after the gate program had been up and running and they started encountering people that didn't speak or write english. Cuz logically, the 'everyone speaks english everywhere in the sci-fi universe' deal is for our viewing ease only and is a tad unrealistic. Trek and farscape could get around that with translator type thingies, but Stargate doesn't have something like that, so they'd need people that could learn and decrypt languages.

ReganX, what did you have him do in your fic you're writing with your friend?

from_orion
November 15th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I totally agree with this, because it seems kind of odd for an astrophysicist to not recognize a constellation. And in all the alternate universes, that's what she did. In fact, Daniel pretty much had no point in the other universes. I wonder who would have gotten Catherine's Ra necklace in that case.

I guess he could have been hired for ancient translations after the gate program had been up and running and they started encountering people that didn't speak or write english. Cuz logically, the 'everyone speaks english everywhere in the sci-fi universe' deal is for our viewing ease only and is a tad unrealistic. Trek and farscape could get around that with translator type thingies, but Stargate doesn't have something like that, so they'd need people that could learn and decrypt languages.

Congradulations, you have discovered another inconsistency between things stated in the show and what happened in the movie.

jenks
November 15th, 2007, 03:53 PM
RDA is too old, it would look stupid.

Wraith_Boy
November 15th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Because my implication was that the tv show perfected/completed/improved the storyline and a better original movie could be made. I said i would love to see it, not that it is needed. Another example is in the movie they claim Abydos is in another galaxy, and in the show Abydos is one of the closest planets with a gate to Earth.

I would say the movie was much better in terms of the way it portrayed things!

Not only do I find it silly of the little snakey thing that managed to get out of it's pond, infect a dumb creature. Then manage to work out the Stargate system, but then also build all the cool advanced technology that they had. Especially being able to reverse engineer Ancient tech.

Ra's guards in the movie were actually scary & formidable. In the show, they're bufoons who are nothing more than cannon fodder. Give any member of SG-1 a P-90 & they'll take out a dozen in a matter of secs.

If anything, the show should be redone from the beginning under the supervision of a brand new producion studio well away from the reaches of those at 'Bridge Studios'!

They will never, ever, ever, ever in a million years make a new SG-1 film that basically cancels out the original movie. Dean Devlin was rumoured to be talking to MGM a couple of years back to film sequels to the original movie using the original cast. So they'll never risk not only that, but the fact of doing something in which how they originally met. Not only because it was done in the movie, but it was also done in 'Children of the Gods' as well!

They would simply lose a ton of money making it because the demand wouldn;'t be there. Who would want to pay $20 to see SG-1 redoing the original movie where RA has a snake for a symbiote instead of a little grey, Abydos is in Earth etc, etc. These are all trivial matters & tbh, I think it would simply be a cheap knockoff of the movie. If they have to make a movie, I'd much prefer it to be something brand new & fresh. Not going back over something that's already been done & changing a few little things such as what symbiotes look like, where Abydos is & so on!

The original premise was much better...The last of an alien species. Travelling to new alien worlds that are in other galaxies etc, etc.

s09119
November 15th, 2007, 03:58 PM
...letting the current sg1 writers giving it a try

AHA... no. Not on your life would I let that happen.

Ganthet Jr.
November 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM
The original movie was perfectly fine, not to mention epic in scope. There is no reason to replace it.

the fifth man
November 15th, 2007, 06:25 PM
The original movie was perfectly fine, not to mention epic in scope. There is no reason to replace it.

Very well said.:)

ReganX
November 16th, 2007, 10:26 AM

We ended up going with a scenario where after Sam worked out that the symbols were constellations and tried random dialling to see if using seven symbols would be effective, they sent a MALP through to Abydos and because they saw Egyptian architecture on the other side and because the gate was found in Egypt, Catherine suggested bringing someone with a background in Egyptology on board for the first mission.

heliosphere
November 16th, 2007, 11:04 AM
We ended up going with a scenario where after Sam worked out that the symbols were constellations and tried random dialling to see if using seven symbols would be effective, they sent a MALP through to Abydos and because they saw Egyptian architecture on the other side and because the gate was found in Egypt, Catherine suggested bringing someone with a background in Egyptology on board for the first mission.

Okay. I am a moron. I have actually read this story so far! I read so much fanfiction though, that it all sort of blends together. I hope you two have some time to update it in the future!

November 16th, 2007, 07:24 PM
The only beef I have with it (and the show) is that Ra is not shown to be very powerful at all. All of the other goauld could handle a human rebellion. ra, however, lost to two rebellions, the second of which resulted in his death. And he is supposed to be the Supreme System Lord.

To be fair, both rebellions involved SG-1, in whole or in part. And no System Lord has ever won against SG-1.

the fifth man
November 16th, 2007, 07:30 PM
To be fair, both rebellions involved SG-1, in whole or in part. And no System Lord has ever won against SG-1.

True enough.:)

Major_Griff
November 17th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah, the original was actually really good in my opinion. I have it on DVD and watch it every now and again and for some reason, I am surprised by how much I like it every time I watch it. I think that I begin to think like the OP that its annoying to watch due to the inconsistancies and that RDA and MS are sooo much better than KR and JS (they are, but thats not the point) that I forget that despite all that is really is an incredible movie. Fun to watch and epic. A true classic imo. No need to remake/reimagine.

Re-Horakhti
November 19th, 2007, 11:37 PM
If the longevity of Stargate is anything like that of Star Trek, then I'd prefer a re-imagining rather than endless spinoffs. Let's say for instance that Stargate has been off the air for 10 years and someone wants to revive it - I don't want to see Stargate:The Next Generation, I want to see a new take on the original storylines.

BUT

For now I want to see the continuation of current storylines (no need to revisit the original movie) with SG:Universe being the last of the spinoffs.

indeed1337
November 20th, 2007, 04:20 AM
hi all. this is one of my rare post. originally i watched the movie on a VHS back in 95. just watched the directors cut with my roomies, all not very familiar / never heard of SG. they were very amazed by the kawoosh thing ...... but ROFLOLed during the nuke explosion. imo, someone should re-render that scene or do something to make it BETTER.

there should also be a proper ending, like going fishing, so that anything else after that would seem pointless.

other than that the movie is perfect in its own right. good introduction to the whole SG myth.

ReganX
November 20th, 2007, 09:07 AM

If they were in armour, or they fought aboard ships or in fighters, then maybe Teal'c wouldn't have been able to tell Ra's human soldiers from Jaffa, or maybe Ra used to use Jaffa but a few decades prior to the movie, he lost access to a queen and, by extension, a supply of larval Goa'uld.

Hard to maintain a Jaffa army without them.

ha'tak_
November 20th, 2007, 11:15 AM
i like the movie like it is, but i want to see it remaked like in the movie ra only had what 5 jaffa but in the seiris a goa´uld has a least 50 jaffa

SaberBlade
November 20th, 2007, 11:51 AM
If they were in armour, or they fought aboard ships or in fighters, then maybe Teal'c wouldn't have been able to tell Ra's human soldiers from Jaffa, or maybe Ra used to use Jaffa but a few decades prior to the movie, he lost access to a queen and, by extension, a supply of larval Goa'uld.

Hard to maintain a Jaffa army without them.

Ra's human servants had no symbol. However in Ancient Egypt we did see his Jaffa with the symbols.

Considering Ra was the Supreme System Lord it would make sense that he would have access to a queen. I cant see any System Lord with a population of Jaffa not having the ability to provide them with larva. Their power base would drastically effected.

kirmit
November 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM
i like the movie like it is, but i want to see it remaked like in the movie ra only had what 5 jaffa but in the seiris a goa´uld has a least 50 jaffa

Do you mean 50 at one time? You don't mean 50 in total do you?

ha'tak_
November 20th, 2007, 01:23 PM
a goa´uld has 1000 or more jaffa at his homeworld , or the world hi os on at the time but ra had only 5
i meant that a minor goa´uld has a least 50 jaffa on his homeworld but i nho that all goa´uld have more, i just said 50 only becouse 50 jaffa is a big number next to a 5 jaffa:tealc44:

kirmit
November 20th, 2007, 01:34 PM
a goa´uld has 1000 or more jaffa at his homeworld , or the world hi os on at the time but ra had only 5
i meant that a minor goa´uld has a least 50 jaffa on his homeworld but i nho that all goa´uld have more, i just said 50 only becouse 50 jaffa is a big number next to a 5 jaffa:tealc44:

The numbers are alot more than that, minor goa'uld probably don't have any because they usually serve a higher goa'uld and just use those Jaffa. The main Goa'uld have 100,000's if not more. I think the deal with Ra was those were his elite and he wasn't expecting a confrontation when he went to Abydos, just a routine scare the worshippers scene.

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
November 20th, 2007, 03:53 PM
The numbers are alot more than that, minor goa'uld probably don't have any because they usually serve a higher goa'uld and just use those Jaffa. The main Goa'uld have 100,000's if not more. I think the deal with Ra was those were his elite and he wasn't expecting a confrontation when he went to Abydos, just a routine scare the worshippers scene.
:indeed: it was just a routine visit to one of his naquadah mines. There was no need to take an army of Jaffa as the local population under normal circumstances were unlikely to rebel against him!

kirmit
November 20th, 2007, 04:03 PM
:indeed: it was just a routine visit to one of his naquadah mines. There was no need to take an army of Jaffa as the local population under normal circumstances were unlikely to rebel against him!

Hmm that's likley the reason Earth were successful in their rebellion, he was so arrogant to think no one would dare stand against him he only ever travelled with a few elite Jaffa. Now why he never came back with a massive army is a mystery :P.

P-90_177
November 20th, 2007, 04:12 PM

they were actually human. my guess is that just like all the system lords ra uses human slaves just incase something happens to him. the only difference is that he also uses them for elite body guards. afterall those 5 troops had no stomach pouches (yes i know it's the movie and they weren't thought of yet but it's an explanation) and also they didn't have jaffa tatoos. we know ra had jaffa and a first prime but why take them with you when you're just going to a back water planet in the middle of your territory on your private yacht.

ha'tak_
November 21st, 2007, 12:57 PM
yes, but it is said pn gateworld when you go to inubis that he was ra´s firts prime

kirmit
November 21st, 2007, 01:02 PM
yes, but it is said pn gateworld when you go to inubis that he was ra´s firts prime

That means the Jackal helmet soldier they fought, the Jackal in Egyptian mythology was Anubis, they don't mean Anubis the Goa'uld.

Fenrir Foxz
November 21st, 2007, 10:59 PM

Good point....

I don't think a remake is needed to be honest, The film was good enough (at least the story) to spark a very successful series into being...

Vhladynineer
November 22nd, 2007, 03:02 AM
Good point....

I don't think a remake is needed to be honest, The film was good enough (at least the story) to spark a very successful series into being...

I do agree on this one. The movie Ra can't be duplicated so easily. He has this menacing presence without being over the top. The movie segways seamlessly to the series anyway and it pretty much introduces characters that would be in SG-1 perfectly. I do prefer that RDA's O'Neill is less suicidal and stoic than in the movie although this may be due to the experiences his character go through and the people affected him (Skaara, Daniel, The Abydonians).

I also liked that they brought back Catherine from the movies and somewhat incorporated her in the series. I mean, she was basically the mother of the Stargate program. Also, the movie focused more on the link of the device itself to Egyptology and Ancient Egypt with the symbols on the coverstone depicting the address being written in Egyptian and how Ancient Egypt evolves in another planet rather than the technology of the Stargate itself.

------------
I would have liked to see the science team involved in the dialling computer. I get the sense from the movie that the main scientists at the forefront were Egyptologists.

Carter did say that she was part of a team working on the gate before. I assume after 15 years, they finally sucessfully built a dialling computer that can be a substitute for the DHD. :) Which was what we saw in the movie. ;)

Mister Oragahn
November 24th, 2007, 04:00 PM

The series respected that part, both in Children of the Gods and Moebius.

I prefer the original mystical alien.

I'd rather see something intelligent and fresh about SG-1.

sg1adam
November 28th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I have a question, why is the original movie false, concerning it's "canon" status? It is the original idea for the SG universe right? IMO the series went away from the original story, and recreated the SG universe, so what does that make SG1, and SGA? It's like a book wrote about any given subject, and the rehashed to make what the film/tv writers prefer.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a SG Movie remake to suit the series, and I also love both the SG series. I just can't my head around it when they say that the ORIGINAL film is nothing but .........., and that the SG spin-offs are the true story/facts etc....

SaberBlade
November 28th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I have a question, why is the original movie false, concerning it's "canon" status? It is the original idea for the SG universe right? IMO the series went away from the original story, and recreated the SG universe, so what does that make SG1, and SGA? It's like a book wrote about any given subject, and the rehashed to make what the film/tv writers prefer.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a SG Movie remake to suit the series, and I also love both the SG series. I just can't my head around it when they say that the ORIGINAL film is nothing but .........., and that the SG spin-offs are the true story/facts etc....

The original movie isn't false when it comes to canon. Stargate the movie and the Stargate universe created by SG1 are supposed to be set within one continuum.

SG1 has been going on for so long that it's created it's own universe that contains the SG1 movies, SGA, SGU and any future potential projects. There are fans who aren't exactly happy that the canon that was created by SG1 would become a secondary canon rather than the one true canon that it's currently now and because of that fans wouldnt be happy that all their devotion to a show could mean nothing because it would no longer become the true canon. It's like fans believe that after all this time, SG1 would mean as much as Infinity when it comes to canon rather than just accepting that A: the series has always been it's own unique canon or B: No matter what happens, the series canon will always be the most important one because it will always be added onto, unlike any new Devlin/Emmerich movies which would stop.

Rather than just having movie canon or television canon, there has to be one true canon and it's easier for unhappy fans to just write-off the movie because although it started the canon, it's contribution were limited and because the series ended up changing a lot of minor stuff (which help prove it's part of a seperate canon) it's the one true canon because it's basically done more for the franchise and the movie was basically used as a reference.

Fenrir Foxz
November 28th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Rather than just having movie canon or television canon, there has to be one true canon and it's easier for unhappy fans to just write-off the movie because although it started the canon, it's contribution were limited and because the series ended up changing a lot of minor stuff (which help prove it's part of a seperate canon) it's the one true canon because it's basically done more for the franchise and the movie was basically used as a reference.

I cannot see what anyone could really have against the film, there definately doe not need to be a remake as the series and film don't clash and unless you go obsessively nit-picking it's easy to see that the film and the series go together better than most films fit with their sequels/prequels...

I would in no way rate Stargate the movie as one of my top ten favorite Films (Not even in top 20) but I do view it as the Genesis chapter of stargate and even though it wouldn't stand up to today's filming technology and CGI I wouldn't want the original re-done...