Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do Stargate fans call themselves?

Hello all,

I'm a little new to SG-1, or at least not as familiar with this fandom as a lot of you guys are. So I'm curious to ask, what are we called, or what do we call ourselves? Trek fans are Trekkers, Farscape fans are Scapers...

Who are we? Gaters? Gateheads?
    Gater
    48.97%
    Gatehead
    17.01%
    Gate Fan
    7.22%
    Gatie
    2.06%
    A different term
    4.64%
    I don't call myself a nickname
    20.10%
    I am on a mission to acquire the SG-1 DVDs, since I wish to know all about this great universe...

I have the original movie and Season 1 on DVD.

Update: I also have Seasons 2 and 3 on DVD.

I have seen the light! Please help me learn more!

Hey, Chevron One. I suppose the "Shippers" are as exclusively a Stargate name as anything, but even they are beginning to be labeled for a variety of shows, so it can't necessarily be called Stargate for much longer. Other than that, I don't think anything has really stood out. "Stargate fans" for now, I suppose.

Comment

I don't know what Davey is on about. I've always thought of Stargate fans as "gaters".

"Shippers" is a pretty exclusive sub-category and not at all applicable to the fandom at large. It'd be like calling everyone "Jonasarians". The Jonas-bashers would be livid...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        "Shippers" is a pretty exclusive sub-category and not at all applicable to the fandom at large.
        Well that's what I meant of course- it couldn't apply to everyone

Still, we're a pretty long way from becoming a dictionary term.

Comment

What Shadow said. "Shippers" is a sub-category (and there are sub-categories within that, as well). I've also seen "shippers" used in reference to other shows, so it's more of an idea/plot reference than a specific show.

I've always thought of Stargate Fans as "wackos"....er, um, I meant "Gaters". Please don't say "Gateheads"...that's too let's-pack-up-the-van-and-follow-the-band-ish for me.
          Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
          O'Neill: Who doesn't?
          - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
          - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
          once done, cannot be undone...
          brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

I know there are a couple fics based around Wormhole X-treme! fandom (and characters from SG-1 being fans). It kinda surprised me that the term "wormies" was used to describe the fans. I mean, it's cute I suppose, but I would have figured "X-tremists" would be cooler. *shrug*

Which just goes to show, it isn't always the "obvious" choice that becomes a moniker for fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
              I've always thought of Stargate Fans as "wackos"....er, um, I meant "Gaters". Please don't say "Gateheads"...that's too let's-pack-up-the-van-and-follow-the-band-ish for me.
              Wacko's I am going to have to remember that one. I like "Gaters", but I don't mind typing out or saying Stargate SG1 Fan if I wanna be formal.

Comment

Don't know about you but I'm often called That-weird-guy-who-makes-lists-of-everything-about-Stargate-SG-1-but-never-manages-to-show-them-to-anyone. Well, not quite accuate anymore since i did put the Hole online.
                The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                  Don't know about you but I'm often called That-weird-guy-who-makes-lists-of-everything-about-Stargate-SG-1-but-never-manages-to-show-them-to-anyone. Well, not quite accuate anymore since i did put the Hole online.
                  That fits me exactly! I am currently working on ranking each episode of SG1 Seasons 1-7, I already have ranked each episode when compared to other episodes in their respective season, and have broken up each episode in each season into 4 categories - Great, Good, Fair, Poor.

So to reanswer the original question...You can call me "pathet..." err "devoted"

Comment

I am called God, the rest of you worshippers... or Gaters, you choose

Comment

That reminds me of last year's Gatecon. During the auction, JR spotted someone he remembered from earlier in the con and started calling him "Geek Man!" The other actors were all horrified, but what they didn't realize was that it was the guy's actual nickname.

Comment

haha, did the other actors comment on it, or did they just look strange and kept their mouth shut?=)

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                          haha, did the other actors comment on it, or did they just look strange and kept their mouth shut?=)
                          They were like, "Oh JR! No!" And "Hey, that's not neccessary." hehe It was pretty funny.

Comment

Did he explain? Or did he just laugh?=)

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                              Did he explain? Or did he just laugh?=)
                              Dunno. He was like, "No, no, it's OK. I know him." Or something like that.

And on topic, sort of, I know that when I say I like Stargate, people say, "Oh, so you're a trekkie?" *rolls eyes* I used to try and explain the difference, but I've since given up. Normals never understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X