This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z.P.M. + Lightning = No

I've been getting kind of frustrated by people who keep telling me that Z.P.M.'s can be re-charged by lightning. But this simply cannot be true! Lightning is a brief, but powerful electrical discharge created by the rubbing together of a positively charged and negatively charged clouds.

First of all, they would need a tremendous buffer. You would then need a viable method of taking what is basically static electricity and dividing it into a positive and negative charge. Then you'd require a storage medium, with a seperate section for both polar charges.

I didn't see a +/- on any Z.P.M.s- did you?

Then comes the problem of practical use. Atlantis is an entire city, one that requires a massive amount of energy! Electricity is a very basic, and ineffiecient form of energy. Even with the long term installation of the naquadah generators, the city is still running under par. How do you expect to use electricity to power it?

Besides, one of the big problems with electric is that you need constant generation, and what is often a very "dirty."

That brings me to the vacuums and Z.P.M.s. Imagine a ship out on space. If the ship loses pressure, it is then succeptable to the giant vacuum of space. That is a TREMENDOUS force! The Ancients have found a way to harness that tremendous force to power their technology.

A Z.P.M.'s basic hypothetical (because the science behind this is still in it's early stages) functions are as follows:

1. Create a contained bubble of sub-space; thus creating a vacuum
    2. Harness the vacuum's power
    3. Provide a conduit for this power to flow
    *it is NOT electrical energy! you cannot plug a ZPM into your CD player!*
    4. (see below)

Those are all of the functions that are undisputable, and if you DO try- you are wrong! They didn't go into it, so there are two likely possibilities for the 4/5th step(s)...

1. One part of the Z.P.M. stores energy that has been taken from the vacuum
    or
    2. The Z.P.M. takes energy only as needed

The most logical choice would have been to go with #2, I only fear that it might explode. We've seen Z.P.M.s tampered with before, and if electrical energy was introduced into a Z.P.M., the results could be catostrophic! Who knows what kind of crazy stuff would happen??

I hope that helped to clear things up, but I'll probably just get more questions.

Addenum: check out this link
    Last edited by aschen; 06 October 2004, 06:32 AM.

I agree with you and so does Dr. McKay. Lightning is only a temporary solution to their problem so it would save the city from the storm. Mckay keeps telling us that a ZPM is from a vaccum of sub-space.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
      I agree with you and so does Dr. McKay. Lightning is only a temporary solution to their problem so it would save the city from the storm. Mckay keeps telling us that a ZPM is from a vaccum of sub-space.
      Great minds think like me.

If people actually took a moment and looked at the situation, it'd pretty obvious.

http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/tesla-lightning.htm

Comment

This is why I beleive ignorance is bliss.

I don't understand, so the show makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

The ZPM doesn't store energy per se. It is a containment vessel for the self-contained region of subspace-time that it derives its enormous power from. I love McKay

So in that sence, yes, lightning will not recharge the ZPM. That's like saying you could recharge a burnt out light bulb and make it work again.
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

One of the functions is as a containment vessel, most definetely! What I meant was, was that a vacuum doesn't just stop and go as you will it. It just goes and goes, right? Well ZPMs aren't always in use, so then does it just stop outputting energy when it's unhooked from a compatible device?

Comment

So basically, what you'd need in order to 'recharge' a ZPM is a fresh self-contained region of subspace.
              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Exactly! If I come up with a feasible means to do that, I'll let you all know... Just... Don't expect that any time soon...

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                  Exactly! If I come up with a feasible means to do that, I'll let you all know... Just... Don't expect that any time soon...
                  If you and McKay were to have a race on who will come up with a way to recharge the ZPMs, I would have to place my bet, if I were a betting person, on McKay.

Sorry about that, Ashen.

Comment

Well, if all the ZPM is is the containment device, in theory you'd just need to switch it off then on again. Unless the containment is physical rather than a field effect, which would make sense. In that case, you'd basically need a fresh ZPM, or at least the containmenty part of it; the rest is presumably the converter which actually allows you to draw energy from the zero-point.

Comment

The ZPM is not just a containment device. In order for it to be a viable powersource, it would have to be able to take energy from it's contained vacuum. Then it would have to find a means to connect the device you wish to power.

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                        The most logical choice would have been to go with #2, I only fear that it might explode. We've seen Z.P.M.s tampered with before, and if electrical energy was introduced into a Z.P.M., the results could be catostrophic! Who knows what kind of crazy stuff would happen??
                        Actually, No. I think the ZPM itself just outputs electricity, and that charge acting on the tampered-with casing would be dangerous. Normally, the whole thing could be exposed to a bagillion volts of electricity with no adverse effects.

They weren't designed to be tampered with
                        sigpic

Comment

I seriously doubt it puts out electricity. Electricity is a relatively unstable form of energy. I think it outputs another kind of energy.

Comment

Tesla rays I tells ya.

Comment

Don't we wish?

Comment

Working...
                              X