Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOw can there be a sequel to Stargate without interfearing with mythology of SG-1/SGA

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOw can there be a sequel to Stargate without interfearing with mythology of SG-1/SGA

How can there be a sequel to Stargate without interfearing with mythology of SG-1/SGA

Where the hell is the second and third 'stargate' (not sg-1) films mythology going to come from?

Honestly, the shows have driven the mythology through so much stuff, they can't have the actors totally be doing something else, because it would be way, way, way confusing.

Not to knock a smart sci-fi audience but how the hell are they suppose to convince us these are the characters, O'Niell and Jackson and nothing is going to interfear, especially since 12 ears on there has been major, major changes to the characters, the mythology.

How are they going to keep the Stargate in sg-1 sg-a mythology????

I hope the don't mess it up. WHich i am sure they won't but wow, we are really going to have to wait and see on this one.
    sigpic
    i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

If you want to know where the mythology for new movies would come from, then read the books. Stargate the movie had 5 sequel novels that were [apparently] based on notes from the creators of the original movie. These tell one version of the Stargate story.

As for keeping the mythology, won't happen. SG1's relationship to Stargate would be as official as Infinity's relationship to SG1. Because of that, Stargate 2 and 3 would become the official sequels and the entire trilogy wuld be the offical canon. The books are supposed to be based on Emmerich's ideas so they would be a secondary canon, as they didn't include Devlin. It's by default (even if the movies are never done) closer to the true stargate canon. SG1 and so forth would still be an authorised spinoff rather than true sequel and because they have been done on screen have higher authority than the books.

Instead Devlin and Emmerich would do their own version, either based on the books (which used Emmerichs ideas) or team up and do something new and different which is what would happened according to Devlin (as his movie would be 12 years later, the books start off 2 weeks later).

sigpic

Comment

I don't believe that Devlin's movies will ever get made. He talks about it all the time, but nothing has happened yet, and now there are sequels coming out that are technically SG-1 stories, but don't have SG-1 in the titles. That seems to be a big distribution hint from MGM saying that they like the franchise as it is.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Originally posted by TheInnkeeper View Post
        I don't believe that Devlin's movies will ever get made. He talks about it all the time, but nothing has happened yet, and now there are sequels coming out that are technically SG-1 stories, but don't have SG-1 in the titles. That seems to be a big distribution hint from MGM saying that they like the franchise as it is.
        Why wouldn't they? All things considered, it's done very well.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          As for keeping the mythology, won't happen. SG1's relationship to Stargate would be as official as Infinity's relationship to SG1. Because of that, Stargate 2 and 3 would become the official sequels and the entire trilogy wuld be the offical canon.
          Basically reducing SG-1, Atlantis and Universe if it's made to an AU?

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
            Basically reducing SG-1, Atlantis and Universe if it's made to an AU?
            Not necessarily an AU, but a spinoff. That's pretty much what the show's been since it started. SG1 ignored what could have been, and those notes were used for the books. SG1 went it's own way and even changed things to seperate itself from the movie so it's plausable to say that although Children of the Gods started as a sequel, it was always going to be a spinoff.

sigpic

Comment

Not necessarily an AU, but a spinoff. That's pretty much what the show's been since it started. SG1 ignored what could have been, and those notes were used for the books. SG1 went it's own way and even changed things to seperate itself from the movie so it's plausable to say that although Children of the Gods started as a sequel, it was always going to be a spinoff.
              I saw the show as a continuation of the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                I saw the show as a continuation of the movie.
                I saw it as a continuation at first. But it got to the point where it was so drastically different, so far apart from the movie that it taken on a life of it's own. After that, I didn't think it was fair to call it a continuation of Stargate because the show's creators and producers had created something that was their own instead of expanding on what was already done (which the books did).

From the very start, changes did need to be done because of the format change, but they even rewrote character histories, names, places, all of which just seperated the show even more as a lot of these changes weren't needed beyond seperating the movie from the show.

That's why I consider SG1 it's own continuity and own canon. The movies to me wouldn't cancel out the series, but just reinforce the belief that from day 1, it's always been a seperate continuity.

sigpic

Comment

That's why I consider SG1 it's own continuity and own canon. The movies to me wouldn't cancel out the series, but just reinforce the belief that from day 1, it's always been a seperate continuity.
                  That's pretty much how I feel about SG-1 too. If Devlin's sequels do ever get made, they won't effect how I feel about SG-1. They will just be another way things could have gone down after the first film.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I never quite get why people always bring up canon whenever they talk about these suposed 'probably never will be made' stargate sequels. I mean let's say they are made, then why can't people just pick and choose the canon they like best?
                    If people prefer the movie triolgy then let them watch the movie trilogy, if people prefer the SG-1 way of things then let them watch the first movie followed by SG-1. It doesn't really matter in the end. If anything i rather want to know what this trilogy was going to be. It sounds like it would be very good.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      If anything i rather want to know what this trilogy was going to be. It sounds like it would be very good.
                      If they were made, I'd probably see them. Just out of curiosity.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                        I never quite get why people always bring up canon whenever they talk about these suposed 'probably never will be made' stargate sequels. I mean let's say they are made, then why can't people just pick and choose the canon they like best?
                        If people prefer the movie triolgy then let them watch the movie trilogy, if people prefer the SG-1 way of things then let them watch the first movie followed by SG-1. It doesn't really matter in the end. If anything i rather want to know what this trilogy was going to be. It sounds like it would be very good.
                        Canon is very important, because I think in people's eyes there is always the chance SG1 (if the movies were done) could be relegated to the status of Stargate: Infinity. I don't think that a lot of fans would like to accept that after 10 years SG1's influence on the Stargate continuity and canon would mean nothing.

Despite my belief that SG1 has always been it's own seperate continuity, the original movie and the original show (plus the stuff that came later) still makes up the official canon. Stargate SG1/Atantis/SG1's movies would end up becoming unoffical and I think that's something fans would have an issue with.

sigpic

Comment

What official show for the Stargate Movie? SG:1 is the official show for the movie.

The sequel will never be done anywho.
                          Disliked a recent episode?
                          Hate the current season Stargate Atlantis or SG1?
                          The writers killed off your favourite character?

Well suck it up Cupcake. It is only a Television Show.

Comment

Canon is very important, because I think in people's eyes there is always the chance SG1 (if the movies were done) could be relegated to the status of Stargate: Infinity. I don't think that a lot of fans would like to accept that after 10 years SG1's influence on the Stargate continuity and canon would mean nothing.

Despite my belief that SG1 has always been it's own seperate continuity, the original movie and the original show (plus the stuff that came later) still makes up the official canon. Stargate SG1/Atantis/SG1's movies would end up becoming unoffical and I think that's something fans would have an issue with.
                            And yet look at the various comic book universes for spiderman and such, all of those are "official".

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                              And yet look at the various comic book universes for spiderman and such, all of those are "official".
                              Yeah, but can you imagine how many different continuities are there, or how often stuff gets retconned or completely redone? Pre and Post Crisis, Silver Age, Golden Age, Modern Age. In the end they may be official, but stuff will always be retconned and changed just to make stuff fit in.

DC and Marvel have each have a multiverse, so if something happens in a comic book that people don't like, then it gets retconned at some point to have taken place in another world or completely retconned by a future comic series or edition to take it out of existance.

I think that's the biggest problem fans have. I don't believe that the fans want the official continuity set up by SG1 to be completely retconned because of Stargate 2 and Stargate 3. People didn't even like the idea that SG1 was an AU because Jack's pond had fish. At least with comic books, no matter what they do, everything can still be restored or undone. Every so often a character will get a complete rewrite and they'll redo history, events, characters (redo, add, or complete remove them) so in a sense all may be official, but the actual continuity they can follow changes a lot depending on the comic book being a restart, a crossover or parallel universe, or in the case of Supergirl, a resurrection.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X