PDA

View Full Version : Will RDA do more than one movie?

Daniel Jackson
November 3rd, 2007, 09:15 AM
Do you think Continuum will mark O'Neill's full-time return as a supporting character? Since he only left SG-1 to spend time with his daughter, and filming Continuum only took a few weeks, why not do more movies? Obviously you can't have him running around in the field like the old days, but he could be visiting the SGC for the events of the movie or perhaps film just a few scenes on a White House or Pentagon set. Keep in mind I'm not saying he should do more than one movie, but if he had a lot of fun filming Continuum, he may want to do another movie.

Major_Griff
November 3rd, 2007, 10:36 AM
I would hope that RDA would be involved with the films after Continuum. As much as I liked S9-10, when I rewatch older seasons I realize its just not the same with out him.

Jumper_One
November 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
I would hope that RDA would be involved with the films after Continuum. As much as I liked S9-10, when I rewatch older seasons I realize its just not the same with out him.

I totally agree, hopefully RDA's gonna be involved with any future movies. SG-1 without him is just so much...different. it's another team with some new people I know, and they're cool too. but you can't replace O'Neill!

silkie
November 3rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
I think it's up to TPTB. He certainly wants to as I've read on October 26th 2007 note on his site...

poundpuppy29
November 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't mind if he did but I just don't like the animosity towards the cast and TPTB if the movies aren't all about Jack/RDA. He is just 1 character, I agree if it was not for RDA we would not have the Stargate franchise we know and love today just hero worship towards RDA and the mean spirited comments toward the anything that doesn't involve him makes me sick. I enjoy Jack/RDA but I enjoy the other characters/actors too even the ones who came after RDA left main cast. I enjoy Stargate as a whole, seasons 9 and 10 were better for me than seasons 6,7,8. I think RDA was best as Jack in seasons 1 thru 5.

Ripple in Space
November 3rd, 2007, 12:19 PM
The only reason they wouldn't include him would be due to budgetary restrictions. And since he'll surely be a "draw," I doubt he'll cost more than he'll bring in.

Nikki
November 3rd, 2007, 02:43 PM

I completely agree with you here. Seasons 1-8 were amazing and that wasn't just because of RDA/Jack but he did play a part in why I loved those seasons a lot more than the latter two. If there are plans for future movies after Continuum and RDA would be happy to be a part of them (which I think he is) it would be crazy not have him be an integral part of SG1's future. For me and I think a lot of other fans SG1 is better with RDA/Jack than without. :)

SaberBlade
November 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
It's always possible that when RDA could return. If anything, I do believe that movies have a better chance than SGA.

Since a movie would have a longer schedule, it would allow RDA to show up whenever he's got free time to film. It would also allow him to film some one week, come back the next week for more and so forth. It wouldn't be like that for the show, because they've got strict schedules so if RDA couldn't be there when they wanted him for Atlantis, then we don't get him at all.

The fact that a movie would give him more freedom would be a great thing when it comes to RDA because he left SG1 for one of the best possible reasons and a movie would allow him to still spend time with his daughter as he could film weeks and go home weekends like he did with SG1 (which is a travel plan I don't envy) but i've always got the sense that RDA likes to please the fans because even after leaving SG1, he's returned and returned and every time he's spent more time on the show so maybe with a movie we could get a full on, proper lead role for him.

StarG8fan
November 3rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
It would definitely be nice to see him in more than 1.

ReganX
November 3rd, 2007, 04:24 PM

Agreed, but much as I would like to hope for more of RDA and Jack, we don't even know that there are going to be other movies, so it's impossible to predict whether or not RDA will be in them until we see how the first two do - if Continuum sells significantly better than Ark of Truth and RDA's presence is well-received, then TPTB may decide to bring him onboard for the next one, but if the reverse happens, they may decide against it.

hutchi4
November 3rd, 2007, 05:14 PM
I would hope to see him in more then 1 RDA the best:cool: he was amazing in SG1 S1 to 8;) he's 1 of the main reasons I watched the show:);)no person can ever replace JACK O'NEIL;););););)

jenks
November 3rd, 2007, 05:16 PM
I honestly don't think RDA is up to it, *mod snip* he can't portray O'Neill properly anymore in my opinion.

Krisz
November 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
I honestly don't think RDA is up to it, {mod snip} he can't portray O'Neill properly anymore in my opinion.

His performance showed me otherwise in SGA's 'The Return pt 2' with...

The underwater sequences.

He is a versatile actor and has adjusted his performance to reflect his age and therefore plays O'Neill differently. To me he is and always will be O'Neill and I hope to see more of him. :)

the fifth man
November 3rd, 2007, 09:07 PM
I absolutely loved Seasons 9 and 10, and really came to like the chemistry of the "new" SG-1. However, seeing O'Neill from time to time wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't mind seeing him play a role in a future SG-1 movie at all.

VSS
November 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
His performance showed me otherwise in SGA's 'The Return pt 2' with...

The underwater sequences.

He is a versatile actor and has adjusted his performance to reflect his age and therefore plays O'Neill differently. To me he is and always will be O'Neill and I hope to see more of him. :)

I actually didn't think he looked all that great in the Return, either, and I am a major O'Neill fan. Also, it was just one joke after another and that was just old after a while, IMHO. The old Jack did crack a lot of jokes,but there was a lot more to him than just that. In fact, I downloaded The Return fromiTunes and then just tossed it today because I didn't like either his acting or his appearance. I didn't care for The Shroud for those reasons, either, but I still have it. 200 was much better, though, he really seemed like himself, if you know what I mean.

So I hope that we get O'Neill in more movies after Continuum but I also hope that RDA is motivated to play the characters well. I've no idea why he didn't shine last year, maybe a year-long vacation was too much. I would rather see him in top form or not at all. I do have my cherished illusions to preserve, you know.:)

Ripple in Space
November 4th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Jack did as much action as RDA could reasonably do. He still showed that he was more capable than the average guy, heck, more capable than the average military officer, but he wasn't tossing around Asurans like rag dolls for a reason. It wouldn't be believable if he was.

the fifth man
November 7th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Jack did as much action as RDA could reasonably do. He still showed that he was more capable than the average guy, heck, more capable than the average military officer, but he wasn't tossing around Asurans like rag dolls for a reason. It wouldn't be believable if he was.

Exactly! RDA/Jack isn't as young as he used to be. That has to be reflected in his character. He still can kick a**, but he has to take a little break afterwards now.:D

Briangate78
November 7th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I think RDA would want to come back and play Jack O'neill. He enjoys being on the set with the cast and crew and has made many friends while doing so. It really is not a money thing to him, the guy is set for life from royalties alone, lol. A movie or even some guest spots in SGA's 5th season are not too time consuming for him and he would most likely be up for that. The man likes to be active, that's the way he is, imo. As long as he doesn't take too much time away from his family it's all good. :)

Wraith_Boy
November 8th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Do you think Continuum will mark O'Neill's full-time return as a supporting character? Since he only left SG-1 to spend time with his daughter, and filming Continuum only took a few weeks, why not do more movies? Obviously you can't have him running around in the field like the old days, but he could be visiting the SGC for the events of the movie or perhaps film just a few scenes on a White House or Pentagon set. Keep in mind I'm not saying he should do more than one movie, but if he had a lot of fun filming Continuum, he may want to do another movie.

Since he will probably be paid the most salary wise, then why would they bring him back to be stuck in full dress walking around the SGC or whatever talking.

For a minimum of a few hundred K, I'm not surprised RDA would be keen on more doing a few more movies that only take a few weeks to film. Even less if he isn't majorly involved.

I can think of far better ways to spend the budget allowing them to build a set, CGI battle scene, hire tons of soldiers/alien extras etc. O'Neill the character was & still is a soldier. He belongs on the front lines. So if he can't go off-world with SG-1 & kick alien ass, then I think it's detrimental to the character as he has been portrayed since S9 as a talker & nothing else!

So if he can't come back as the 'proper' Jack O'Neill, then imo he shouldn't come back at all. S9 onwards has really dimmed my opinion of O'Neill. I prefer to remember him as the fighting never say die soldier rather than the talky, talk, talk general he has become over the past few years.

In short, if RDA is too old to do the whole soldier thing these days, then I would rather do without him. He spent 7 1/2 seasons building up the character as a fighter. Then for most of S8 & beyond, he turned into a talker & not much else.

Classic
November 8th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Agreed, but much as I would like to hope for more of RDA and Jack, we don't even know that there are going to be other movies, so it's impossible to predict whether or not RDA will be in them until we see how the first two do - if Continuum sells significantly better than Ark of Truth and RDA's presence is well-received, then TPTB may decide to bring him onboard for the next one, but if the reverse happens, they may decide against it.

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere (I've been lurking only the past few days), but Michael Shanks stated at the convention in NJ this past weekend that movie #3 was being scripted as we speak. I think he said by Brad Wright, but someone else may be able to confirm that. Sounds like TPTB are optomistic that there'll be more than just the two that have already been made. :)

ReganX
November 8th, 2007, 05:21 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere (I've been lurking only the past few days), but Michael Shanks stated at the convention in NJ this past weekend that movie #3 was being scripted as we speak. I think he said by Brad Wright, but someone else may be able to confirm that. Sounds like TPTB are optomistic that there'll be more than just the two that have already been made. :)

If they do well, I don't doubt that there'll be at least one more but if they flop, they're not going to sink more money into another one just because they've written a script - the script might end up being auctioned at some point, though.

the fifth man
November 8th, 2007, 07:07 PM
If they do well, I don't doubt that there'll be at least one more but if they flop, they're not going to sink more money into another one just because they've written a script - the script might end up being auctioned at some point, though.

I remain pretty confident that the first two SG-1 movies will sell well enough to warrant making more. Just a feeling of mine.:)

ses110
November 8th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure how true but I heard RDA was approached to do a third Movie. That would be very smart by TPTB. If Season 9 and 10 did not happen we could have gotten a couple of Movie by now. I still want to see at least one SG-1 Movie with just the original cast. no offense to Vala and Mitchell characters and Season 9 and 10 Fans. RDA is not in the first Movie so it's only fair IMO.

Jumper_One
November 9th, 2007, 04:49 AM
I'm not sure how true but I heard RDA was approached to do a third Movie. That would be very smart by TPTB. If Season 9 and 10 did not happen we could have gotten a couple of Movie by now. I still want to see at least one SG-1 Movie with just the original cast. no offense to Vala and Mitchell characters and Season 9 and 10 Fans. RDA is not in the first Movie so it's only fair IMO.

I doubt that there'll ever be a movie with just the original cast. sure I'd like RDA to return and do so some more if AoT and Continuum are a success. but just the original cast? I don't think so. Vala and Cam have to play some part since it's SG-1 (the new, not the old). though you could do a movie which focuses on RDA and the three others but isn't that what Continuum is about? don't get me wrong I'm not a big Vala fan and Cam's kinda okay but they could never replace the original team. still since they're part of the 'new' team they'd have to play some part

the fifth man
November 9th, 2007, 07:39 PM

Believe me, I'm all for RDA playing a role in future SG-1 movies. No problems at all. But excluding Mitchell and Vala, that I would have a problem with. It'd be a slap in the face to fans who grew to like and accept them in Seasons 9 and 10. I feel any future movies can include all of them in a decent capacity.

ReganX
November 10th, 2007, 03:45 AM

I'd like to see that too, but I don't see it happening.

Nikki
November 10th, 2007, 05:17 AM

I'd like to see that too, but I don't see it happening.

Me too ses110, but like ReganX said, I doubt it's gonna happen.

Believe me, I'm all for RDA playing a role in future SG-1 movies. No problems at all. But excluding Mitchell and Vala, that I would have a problem with. It'd be a slap in the face to fans who grew to like and accept them in Seasons 9 and 10. I feel any future movies can include all of them in a decent capacity.

I understand you PoV the fifth man, but I think what ses110 meant (and correct me if I'm worng) was that there be only one movie with the original SG1 (:jack::sam::tealc::daniel:) and no Cam/Vala but the rest with all six...just as kind of like a tribute to they're eight years together. Cam/Vala could be in some way unavailable (broken leg, alternate universe, the originals got trapped somewhere Cam/Vala didn't) and then C/V could still be featured in all future projects.

the fifth man
November 10th, 2007, 08:04 PM

I understand you PoV the fifth man, but I think what ses110 meant (and correct me if I'm worng) was that there be only one movie with the original SG1 (:jack::sam::tealc::daniel:) and no Cam/Vala but the rest with all six...just as kind of like a tribute to they're eight years together. Cam/Vala could be in some way unavailable (broken leg, alternate universe, the originals got trapped somewhere Cam/Vala didn't) and then C/V could still be featured in all future projects.

Yeah, I get what you are saying. And that would be kind of cool, but only if I knew we'd be getting a few more movies as well. Like, if we heard two more movies were going to be made after these first two, I'd be fine with the original cast having one of them to themselves. You know, spending most of the movie trying to find or rescue Vala and Cam.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 06:48 AM
If RDA has to miss being in the first Movie than Vala and Mitchell can stay home for one Movie. What about the Fans who only liked Season 1-8? Having Mitchell and Vala sit out one Movie is not too much to ask. Let's see which Movie is more successful, The one with the original SG-1 or the first Movie with Vala and Mitchell and no Jack.

ReganX
November 11th, 2007, 08:00 AM
If RDA has to miss being in the first Movie than Vala and Mitchell can stay home for one Movie. What about the Fans who only liked Season 1-8? Having Mitchell and Vala sit out one Movie is not too much to ask. Let's see which Movie is more successful, The one with the original SG-1 or the first Movie with Vala and Mitchell and no Jack.

As one of those fans, I can see where you're coming from and agree that an original team movie would be great but if TPTB want to make the movies a success, they can't afford to alienate any segment of the fanbase - including the Mitchell/Vala/Seasons Nine and Ten fans.

Cut Mitchell and Vala out of one of the movies, and there is an excellent chance that you are cutting a significant percentage of their fans out of the pool of potential buyers and there is no guarantee that you'll win back enough of the fans who dislike their characters enough to boycott a movie involving them to make up the numbers, so unless TPTB had a strong reason to believe that excluding the characters would be to their benefit, it won't happen.

Perhaps the fifth man's suggestion has merit; one of the Fandemonium books, "Roswell", did very well balancing having both the old and new team members present and was able to give Mitchell and Vala a secondary storyline while concentrating on the original team in the A-storyline.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 08:08 AM
What about alienating Jack Fans for the first Movie? What about alienating Jonas Fans? I don't get it. Jack Fans or Jonas Fans don't count but Heaven help you upset Mitchell and Vala Fans. IMO you go with who gives you the best chance at success. There is no doubt Season 1-8 was more successful than 9-10 and the Jack character was more successful than Mitchell and Vala combined.

ReganX
November 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM
What about alienating Jack Fans for the first Movie? What about alienating Jonas Fans? I don't get it. Jack Fans or Jonas Fans don't count but Heaven help you upset Mitchell and Vala Fans.

I hate to say it, but the Jonas fans must be well and truly alienated by now. TPTB made the decision to get rid of him in favour of bringing Daniel back - ie. that the risk of alienating Jonas' fans was worth taking in favour of appeasing Daniel's fans (or at least the ones campaigning for his return) - and I doubt that Jonas' fans hold out much hope of his return. The chances of him being in any of the movies are exceptionally slim.

As far as Jack is concerned, the fact that they will be having him in one of the movies suggests that TPTB understand his importance to the fans. Hopefully, this means that we will see Jack playing a major part in Continuum, and any future movies.

In terms of sales however, they cannot afford to risk alienating a fan group, so I would say that we will see as many characters as they can manage to cram into future movies - just so that they can keep their Jack fans, Sam fans, Teal'c fans, Mitchell fans, Vala fans, Daniel fans, Original Team fans, New Team fans, etc.

What's going to be interesting is to see whether attempts to please everybody will wind up pleasing nobody.

There is no doubt Season 1-8 was more successful than 9-10 and the Jack character was more successful than Mitchell and Vala combined.

But TPTB have to deal with the now; even if they wanted to, they can't go back in time and offer RDA the moon and a 1 day week if that's what it took to persuade him to stay, they can't unhire BB or CB and they can't stop their characters being brought onboard for Season Nine. Even if, with hindsight, they consider some, most or all of the decisions they made for Seasons Nine and Ten to be mistakes, they can't unmake them.

They've made their beds. For better or worse, they've got to lie in them.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I have nothing against BB and CB and do not blame them for Season 9 and 10. The fact remains SG-1 did fine without both characters and I have no doubt original SG-1 character Movies would have no trouble selling. All I want is to see one original SG-1 Movie. I'm not saying drop Mitchell and Vala for good. Season 9-10 Fans are getting one Movie for themselves with AOT. I hope the 2nd Movie has plenty of Jack and Vala and Mitchell are in the backround since it's doubtful we'll get to see just an SG-1 original Movie.

ReganX
November 11th, 2007, 08:31 AM
I have nothing against BB and CB and do not blame them for Season 9 and 10. The fact remains SG-1 did fine without both characters and I have no doubt original SG-1 character Movies would have no trouble selling. All I want is to see one original SG-1 Movie. I'm not saying drop Mitchell and Vala for good.

I would say that for there to be any hope of a Mitchell and Vala free movie, TPTB would need to be confident that there would be at least one more movie afterwards - I doubt their fans would be too pleased if they were excluded from SG-1's swansong - but perhaps the best shot would be for a mostly original team movie; basically, Mitchell and Vala are there for a few minutes at the beginning and end with :jack: :sam: :tealc: :daniel: going on their own adventure for the two hours in the middle.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 08:39 AM
This sounds harsh but to bad if Mitchell and Vala Fans are not happy if there excluded from SG-1's swansong. I was not happy RDA was not in Unending or the Jack character did not even get a mention. I'm sure Jonas Fans or Janet Fans were not happy either there characters are gone. We all had to deal with it. What makes Vala and Mitchell Fans so special they cannot deal with it?

ReganX
November 11th, 2007, 08:51 AM
This sounds harsh but to bad if Mitchell and Vala Fans are not happy if there excluded from SG-1's swansong. I was not happy RDA was not in Unending or the Jack character did not even get a mention. I'm sure Jonas Fans or Janet Fans were not happy either there characters are gone. We all had to deal with it. What makes Vala and Mitchell Fans so special they cannot deal with it?

Absolutely nothing, and I agree completely that Jack should have been in the finale but "Unending" was aired on TV, viewers didn't have to fork out the cost of a DVD movie just to watch this one episode. The movies are much less likely to draw casual viewers than the show. Those who buy it are more likely to have a strong interest in the show and their own favourites among the characters.

I wouldn't bother with them if Sam wasn't in them - and even with her, I haven't decided if they're worth it - so if a Vala or Mitchell fan felt the same way, they mightn't bother with a movie if they knew that their favourite wasn't going to make an appearance and they'd never be able to keep people from knowing if a character wasn't going to be in the movie.

poundpuppy29
November 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I remain pretty confident that the first two SG-1 movies will sell well enough to warrant making more. Just a feeling of mine.:)
I have the same feeling

So you want to forget that Jack is a General no longer in the field. SG-1 is not just all about Jack there are other characters and there is a new leader I don't want to get into the Cam VS Sam argument I have stated in other threads I thought Sam leading area 51 was in character for her in my mind she had chose to go there, Sam as a brilliant scientist is more important than Sam the soldier to me this is my opinion I realize there differing ones. I believe a movie which just has the "original" SG-1 cast there is a saying that ship has sailed if that were going to happen it would've happened either after season 6, 7 and 8 they have moved on from how that could take place time line wise

I doubt that there'll ever be a movie with just the original cast. sure I'd like RDA to return and do so some more if AoT and Continuum are a success. but just the original cast? I don't think so. Vala and Cam have to play some part since it's SG-1 (the new, not the old). though you could do a movie which focuses on RDA and the three others but isn't that what Continuum is about? don't get me wrong I'm not a big Vala fan and Cam's kinda okay but they could never replace the original team. still since they're part of the 'new' team they'd have to play some part
exactly They moved on the show went on I loved it I love Cam and Vala I think they are good characters

I agree 100%

I understand you PoV the fifth man, but I think what ses110 meant (and correct me if I'm wrong) was that there be only one movie with the original SG1 (:jack::sam::tealc::daniel:) and no Cam/Vala but the rest with all six...just as kind of like a tribute to they're eight years together. Cam/Vala could be in some way unavailable (broken leg, alternate universe, the originals got trapped somewhere Cam/Vala didn't) and then C/V could still be featured in all future projects.
I just think that is a narrow scenario the show moved on RDA is not the spring chicken that he once was. Don't get me wrong I like RDA and I like Jack but the show moved on from Jack being the leader

Why does this have to be a competition RDA is more known for his Magyver role than his SG-1 role if you look on the back of the DVDs for season 1 thru 8 it says Magyver in () what does that tell you he is known in Pop Culture for that role not this one. The show moved on Jack is not the leader anymore RDA left for family reasons I appreciate what he did for the franchise but I enjoy Stargate without him too it is still entertaining for me. I love all the characters.

As one of those fans, I can see where you're coming from and agree that an original team movie would be great but if TPTB want to make the movies a success, they can't afford to alienate any segment of the fan base - including the Mitchell/Vala/Seasons Nine and Ten fans.

Cut Mitchell and Vala out of one of the movies, and there is an excellent chance that you are cutting a significant percentage of their fans out of the pool of potential buyers and there is no guarantee that you'll win back enough of the fans who dislike their characters enough to boycott a movie involving them to make up the numbers, so unless TPTB had a strong reason to believe that excluding the characters would be to their benefit, it won't happen.

Well Said thank you very good points

What about alienating Jack Fans for the first Movie? What about alienating Jonas Fans? I don't get it. Jack Fans or Jonas Fans don't count but Heaven help you upset Mitchell and Vala Fans. IMO you go with who gives you the best chance at success. There is no doubt Season 1-8 was more successful than 9-10 and the Jack character was more successful than Mitchell and Vala combined.
Jonas that's an interesting place to go I think there was behind the scenes stuff that happened between CN and TPTB I don't have confirmation of this is just my thinking but RDA has a mainstream name because of his previous role that comercial for Mastercard proved that. TPTB are always welcome for RDA that's why they left it open for him to come back if he chooses to it's up to him.

I hate to say it, but the Jonas fans must be well and truly alienated by now. TPTB made the decision to get rid of him in favour of bringing Daniel back - ie. that the risk of alienating Jonas' fans was worth taking in favour of appeasing Daniel's fans (or at least the ones campaigning for his return) - and I doubt that Jonas' fans hold out much hope of his return. The chances of him being in any of the movies are exceptionally slim.

As far as Jack is concerned, the fact that they will be having him in one of the movies suggests that TPTB understand his importance to the fans. Hopefully, this means that we will see Jack playing a major part in Continuum, and any future movies.

In terms of sales however, they cannot afford to risk alienating a fan group, so I would say that we will see as many characters as they can manage to cram into future movies - just so that they can keep their Jack fans, Sam fans, Teal'c fans, Mitchell fans, Vala fans, Daniel fans, Original Team fans, New Team fans, etc.

What's going to be interesting is to see whether attempts to please everybody will wind up pleasing nobody.

But TPTB have to deal with the now; even if they wanted to, they can't go back in time and offer RDA the moon and a 1 day week if that's what it took to persuade him to stay, they can't unhire BB or CB and they can't stop their characters being brought onboard for Season Nine. Even if, with hindsight, they consider some, most or all of the decisions they made for Seasons Nine and Ten to be mistakes, they can't unmake them.

They've made their beds. For better or worse, they've got to lie in them.
Well Said again I don't agree with everything you said good points

I have nothing against BB and CB and do not blame them for Season 9 and 10. The fact remains SG-1 did fine without both characters and I have no doubt original SG-1 character Movies would have no trouble selling. All I want is to see one original SG-1 Movie. I'm not saying drop Mitchell and Vala for good. Season 9-10 Fans are getting one Movie for themselves with AOT. I hope the 2nd Movie has plenty of Jack and Vala and Mitchell are in the backround since it's doubtful we'll get to see just an SG-1 original Movie.
You are member of the faction that hate the 9 and 10 season fine but the reason RDA is not in AOT is because he was only in 1 ep that dealt with Ori the Shroud Jack is not a part of that Storyline because RDA decided to leave. They moved on

Wraith_Boy
November 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM

The problem is Mitchell & Vala aren't gone or written out unlike Jonas, Hammond or Janet! They are still main cast members, so any of their fans would have a valid reason for having them sidelined to bring back someone who left the show through their own free will a few years earlier. They are SG-1 now, so they don't have to deal with it. It's like a Jonas fan saying they want him back for a movie featuring 'their' SG-1 which didn't include Jackson. So he needs to be sidelined for a movie to allow Jonas back onto the team. It simply ain't gonna happen. They will not bring in 2 characters, have them on the show for a couple of seasons, then chuck them out for a movie to allow a past character to come back in & take their place. It just ain't gonna happen. I'm sure Stargate got more Farscape viewers because of CB & BB coming aboard. So they won't risk alienating them by freezing them out in favour of anyone else. They don't need to worry about alienating O'Neill fans because he left the show years ago through his own personal choice. He's still around in the background like Hammond but he is no longer a member of SG-1 since S8!

O'Neill & Hammond would have only been in 'Unending' as a token gesture to appear in the final ever ep of the show. I'm sure they probably did try & get them in for at least a cameo appearance. However if they did it obviously didn't pan out. It wasn't a great loss, sure it would have been nice, but they weren't actually part of the Ori storyline in any way.

I think 'Continuum' is the closest you'll ever get in future to seeing the version of SG-1 that you want because O'Neill may be back on the team for one last time!

ReganX
November 11th, 2007, 01:09 PM
They are SG-1 now, so they don't have to deal with it. It's like a Jonas fan saying they want him back for a movie featuring 'their' SG-1 which didn't include Jackson. So he needs to be sidelined for a movie to allow Jonas back onto the team. It simply ain't gonna happen. They will not bring in 2 characters, have them on the show for a couple of seasons, then chuck them out for a movie to allow a past character to come back in & take their place. It just ain't gonna happen.

In theory, if TPTB did want to have a movie with
(i) a :jack: :sam: :tealc: :jonas: SG-1
(ii) a :jack: :tealc: :sam: :daniel: SG-1
(iii) a :sam: :tealc: :daniel: SG-1 with :jack: as base commander
or even
(iv) a :sam: :tealc: :cameron: :daniel: SG-1
they could set it in Season Six, Seven, Eight or Nine respectively but I think that it is unlikely that they will do so.

As you've said, a Jonas fan can, unfortunately, have no reasonable expectation that he will even appear in the movie, much less as a member of SG-1 and Jack fans know that his character is no longer a member of SG-1 but Mitchell and Vala's fans are another story; they will naturally expect than any future movies will include both characters unless they happen to get killed off or written out of the SGC or something.

I'm sure Stargate got more Farscape viewers because of CB & BB coming aboard. So they won't risk alienating them by freezing them out in favour of anyone else.

Agreed. The only way TPTB would even consider it is if they had a very compelling reason to believe that they'd gain more viewers than they'd lose without their characters - and even then it wouldn't be good business (or a very nice thing to do) to alienate the actors, you never know when they and their characters will be needed.

They don't need to worry about alienating O'Neill fans because he left the show years ago through his own personal choice. He's still around in the background like Hammond but he is no longer a member of SG-1 since S8!

Given that TPTB are taking on the added expense of RDA's salary for Continuum (I doubt he's working for nothing) I would say that TPTB are concerned about Jack's fans. Looking at the ratings, they lost quite a few of them before Season Nine even began and they never got them back. They'll have Jack in the movie because they need as wide a pool of potential buyers as possible. Only a small percentage of viewers are going to buy the DVDs - how many box sets or episode DVDs do they sell compared with their total viewer numbers? - so if they have any sense, they won't alienate anyone if they can avoid it.

SylvreWolfe
November 11th, 2007, 01:09 PM

If anyone alienated Jack fans it was RDA when he VOLUNTARILY left the show. Bringing him back and dumping on the new cast would be a slap to the cast and their fans. And since it has been done in the past I would say it would be an intentional slap.
It would be just like what the did to Corin Nemec when he had to face the hostility of being the newbie on the show. And when he did that and filled the vacuum created, he was dumped on like yesterday's trash.

kirmit
November 11th, 2007, 01:10 PM
AoT= Ori= Cam, Sam, Tealc, Daniel, Vala, RDA doesn't count because he only played a very very small role against the Ori.

Continuum= Goa'uld= Jack, Sam, Tealc, Daniel, Cam, Vala, all of whom dealt with the goa'uld.

I don't really mind there being a movie with the original cast of SG-1 because they had 8 years of viewing, the new SG-1 had only 2 years and so I'd like to see more of them.

SylvreWolfe
November 11th, 2007, 01:13 PM
The only way I want to see O'Neill back is if his presence can add to the story, not be the story without an actual plot. Bringing him back just to appease RDA and/or fans isn't a story, nor is it a plot. I don't want to see a movie the revolves around O'Neill. I want to see a movie that has a plot, a story to tell. If O'Neill can add to the story, fine. But I don't agree with making a movie with RDA just to bring O'Neill back.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 01:25 PM
RDA had every right to leave and I never blamed him or TPTB. I do blame TPTB if they never asked RDA to be in the last episode Unending and never mentioned the Jack character. RDA never said he was leaving Stargate and never coming back. If that was the case then TPTB have no blame. IF MS left and came back so can RDA. I agree about Corin. That should not have happened. I never said Mitchell and Vala should never be in any SG-1 Movie. Mitchell and Vala were in the last 2 seasons of the show. Does that mean they have to be in every single Movie? TPTB were the ones who said the Jack character would still be a part of the Show. TPTB should have killed off the Jack character if they did not want the Jack character being part of the Show.

ReganX
November 11th, 2007, 01:31 PM
If anyone alienated Jack fans it was RDA when he VOLUNTARILY left the show.

As I understand it, RDA wanted to spend more time with his daughter and the time demands of being a regular on the show were too great to allow this. The movies would be far less time consuming, so if RDA is willing, his fans will want him there.

Bringing him back and dumping on the new cast would be a slap to the cast and their fans. And since it has been done in the past I would say it would be an intentional slap.

It would be just like what the did to Corin Nemec when he had to face the hostility of being the newbie on the show. And when he did that and filled the vacuum created, he was dumped on like yesterday's trash.

In Corin Nemec's case, I would say that TPTB made a choice that losing his character and his fans would be worth the gain of the fans they'd win back.

If it came down to a choice between RDA and BB and CB, old cast -v- new, TPTB would go with the option that would work best for them in terms of storylines and, perhaps more importantly, fan numbers but in this scenario, they don't seem to need to make a choice, not if they can include Jack and the new characters.

Why alienate any fans if you don't have to? That's not the way to boost sales numbers.

It is unlikely that TPTB would make an "original team only" movie for the sake of it, but if BB and CB were unavailable and they believed that it would sell well, they might consider it.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Mitchell and Vala can be written out now just like Jonas and Janet were. They were a part of the last two years of SG-1 that were not successful. Let's not pretend they played a big part in the success of SG-1. Like it or not RDA and the Jack character are still huge in terms of SG-1 success. SG-1 still has to prove they can succeed without the Jack character. SG-1 has proven they can without Mitchell and Vala.

ReganX
November 11th, 2007, 01:37 PM
RDA had every right to leave and I never blamed him or TPTB. I do blame TPTB if they never asked RDA to be in the last episode Unending and never mentioned the Jack character.

Depending on timing, they may have been able to have him in "Unending"; he was willing to be in five episodes and expected that they'd all be SG-1 episodes - by the way, has it ever been said why TPTB decided to have Jack on Atlantis for three out of five of those episodes instead of having him on his own show?

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM
IMO they wanted to try to boost Atlantis and wanted to keep RDA off SG-1 as much as possible so it would not show how much he was missed on SG-1. TPTB heard many complaints about Mitchell and Vala and may have wanted to keep the Jack character away from Mitchell and Vala.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Jack is suppose to be HomeLand security. I would think he could have something to do in AOT. I have no problem if it was only going to be a small part. I would never expect the Jack chracter to take over the Movie. What's done is done. I won't buy the first Movie and I'll see about buying the 2nd.

ReganX
November 11th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Jack is suppose to be HomeLand security. I would think he could have something to do in AOT.

Good point.

I have no problem if it was only going to be a small part. I would never expect the Jack chracter to take over the Movie. What's done is done. I won't buy the first Movie and I'll see about buying the 2nd.

My plan is to wait until I hear from posters here I trust whether or not they're actually worth bothering with before buying either of them.

jenks
November 11th, 2007, 01:58 PM
RDA had every right to leave and I never blamed him or TPTB. I do blame TPTB if they never asked RDA to be in the last episode Unending and never mentioned the Jack character. RDA never said he was leaving Stargate and never coming back. If that was the case then TPTB have no blame. IF MS left and came back so can RDA. I agree about Corin. That should not have happened. I never said Mitchell and Vala should never be in any SG-1 Movie. Mitchell and Vala were in the last 2 seasons of the show. Does that mean they have to be in every single Movie? TPTB were the ones who said the Jack character would still be a part of the Show. TPTB should have killed off the Jack character if they did not want the Jack character being part of the Show.

They do have a budget to stick to you know, and RDA does not come cheap.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I'm sure RDA would not be looking to break the bank. Funny how TPTB said they could not afford Jonas and Daniel and then we have Mitchell and Vala. Funny how TPTB can afford things when they want.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I hope TPTB do not pull a fast one and give RDA very little to do like his Season 10 appearances.

jenks
November 11th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm sure RDA would not be looking to break the bank. Funny how TPTB said they could not afford Jonas and Daniel and then we have Mitchell and Vala. Funny how TPTB can afford things when they want.

Why? And when did TPTB ever say they couldn't afford Daniel or Jonas?

poundpuppy29
November 11th, 2007, 02:13 PM
They do have a budget to stick to you know, and RDA does not come cheap.
And all of his appearances were not scheduled at the same time that Unending was

Timing it's all about timing at the time they had RDA he was the Star and probably had the biggest salary and was one of the executive producers. As I said in a previous post the time they would do movies with the original SG-1 was after 6 7 or 8 that ship has sailed they moved on from that point. I really don't think that RDA is really up to being the Star again he's not the action star he once was.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 02:18 PM
RDA is at the point where he can pick and choose when to work. That does not sound like someone who needs to hold up TPTB of SG-1. RDA also mentioned how he enjoys spending time with the Cast and Crew of SG-1 and has a good time. If TPTB could afford to hire RDA for 5 guest spots between SG-1 and Atlantis in Season 10 why not one more for SG-1 and especially since it's the last SG-1 episode?

ReganX
November 11th, 2007, 02:24 PM
RDA is at the point where he can pick and choose when to work. That does not sound like someone who needs to hold up TPTB of SG-1. RDA also mentioned how he enjoys spending time with the Cast and Crew of SG-1 and has a good time. If TPTB could afford to hire RDA for 5 guest spots between SG-1 and Atlantis in Season 10 why not one more for SG-1 and especially since it's the last SG-1 episode?

Or time his episodes so that the finale can be one of the five?

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 02:24 PM
If RDA does not want to be the Star or even want to be in the Movies I have no problem. I'm not going to have a problem with TPTB if someone does not want to be in the Movies. I do not agree about the Ship sailing regarding there being a Movie with just the orginal cast. What if CB and BB do not want to be a part of Stargate any longer? Does that mean SG-1 Movies should stop? I'm talking one SG-1 movie with just the orginal cast.

ReganX
November 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM
If RDA does not want to be the Star or even want to be in the Movies I have no problem. I'm not going to have a problem with TPTB if someone does not want to be in the Movies. I do not agree about the Ship sailing regarding there being a Movie with just the orginal cast. What if CB and BB do not want to be a part of Stargate any longer? Does that mean SG-1 Movies should stop? I'm talking one SG-1 movie with just the orginal cast.

That's a fair point, and it could be true of any of the actors. They may have scheduling conflicts, they may have personal factors keeping them busy or they may simply want to move on, in which case TPTB would need to decide if a movie could be made without them, and if it was likely to succeed.

If needs be, I imagine that an original team only movie could do very well.

poundpuppy29
November 11th, 2007, 02:39 PM
If RDA does not want to be the Star or even want to be in the Movies I have no problem. I'm not going to have a problem with TPTB if someone does not want to be in the Movies. I do not agree about the Ship sailing regarding there being a Movie with just the original cast. What if CB and BB do not want to be a part of Stargate any longer? Does that mean SG-1 Movies should stop? I'm talking one SG-1 movie with just the original cast.
They moved on from that being the team that's the ship that has sailed. I am just aggravated at the animosity toward BB and CB's characters they are a result of RDA LEAVING of his free will. I do recognize that RDA/Jack have a fan base but he chose to leave meaning he is no longer the focus.

That's a fair point, and it could be true of any of the actors. They may have scheduling conflicts, they may have personal factors keeping them busy or they may simply want to move on, in which case TPTB would need to decide if a movie could be made without them, and if it was likely to succeed.

If needs be, I imagine that an original team only movie could do very well.

So that storyline continuity means nothing

ReganX
November 11th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Why? And when did TPTB ever say they couldn't afford Daniel or Jonas?

I thought that they felt that a five-person team would be unworkable, so they couldn't keep both Daniel and Jonas.

ReganX
November 11th, 2007, 02:45 PM
So that storyline continuity means nothing

It depends on the circumstances; if TPTB were okay with having one set during the original team years, then the movie could take place before Mitchell and Vala were ever a part of the team - for example, maybe SG-1 went on one last mission together between the end of Season Eight and the beginning of Season Nine.

Alternatively, it could take place at a time when new SG-1 had actually disbanded and Jack, as Head of Homeworld Security, called Sam, Teal'c and Daniel back to deal with a new threat, with Mitchell and Vala otherwise occupied. Since the Ark of Truth seems to deal with the Ori storyline, a third movie could return to the Goa'uld or bring in a new problem altogether, one that neither Mitchell or Vala would be connected to.

Perhaps not an ideal situation, but doable if BB and CB are unavailable and TPTB want to make a movie with the original cast.

poundpuppy29
November 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
The first scenario wouldn't work cuz they all look very different now and the second one well why would a General go in the field like that I think the Air Force would agree in the Return if you watched Jack didn't fly the shuttle Sheppard did and there was a line about Jack is no longer the test pilot he's no longer in field that time has passed. That was really evident in season 8 with all the earth stories.

gilthoniel
November 11th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Mitchell and Vala can be written out now just like Jonas and Janet were. They were a part of the last two years of SG-1 that were not successful. Let's not pretend they played a big part in the success of SG-1. Like it or not RDA and the Jack character are still huge in terms of SG-1 success. SG-1 still has to prove they can succeed without the Jack character. SG-1 has proven they can without Mitchell and Vala.

Cute theory. But as MGM is concerned with DVD sales for these movies, not the TV ratings in one single country and from all reports the DVDs of season 9 and 10 have sold very well indeed - season 10 was in the top ten list on Amazon for far longer than season 3 of SGA - I'd say MGM are more than happy with Mitchell and Vala's contribution to the franchise.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I believe JM mentioned TPTB could not afford Daniel and Jonas. I think TPTB jsut did not want Jonas.

jenks
November 11th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Because by time they found out that it was going to be the last episode they only had the last three left to shoot. I'm not sure what you mean by 'someone who needs to hold up TPTB', the way I see it he doesn't seem interested in working anymore at all, and that's the reason he cost so much to hire, because he wouldn't be doing it unless they made it worth it.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I can only speak for myself. I do not like the job TPTB did with the Mitchell and Vala characters. It has nothing to do with RDA leaving. RDA gave the show 8 years and did not owe anyone anymore time. TPTB were the ones who said many times no RDA no new Seasons. IMO SG-1 should have ended after season 8 on a high note on their own terms and we could have had a couple fo SG-1 Movies by now.

jenks
November 11th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Hindsight is a great thing.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 03:24 PM
SciFi gave TPTB plenty of time to come up with the last episode. RDA came back for 5 eps and is doing one of the Movies. He seems interested in still being on SG-1. When I say hold up I meant it did not seem RDA needed to demand big Money to appear.

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I said it at the time. The end of Season 8 was a perfect time to take SG-1 into Movies. RDA even said he was hoping to do some SG-1 Movies instead of continuing on to more seasons.

poundpuppy29
November 11th, 2007, 03:26 PM
SciFi gave TPTB plenty of time to come up with the last episode. RDA came back for 5 eps and is doing one of the Movies. He seems interested in still being on SG-1. When I say hold up I meant it did not seem RDA needed to demand big Money to appear.
No they didn't they only had a few ep left to shoot, it was near end of production time not airing time

gilthoniel
November 11th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I can only speak for myself. I do not like the job TPTB did with the Mitchell and Vala characters. It has nothing to do with RDA leaving. RDA gave the show 8 years and did not owe anyone anymore time. TPTB were the ones who said many times no RDA no new Seasons. IMO SG-1 should have ended after season 8 on a high note on their own terms and we could have had a couple fo SG-1 Movies by now.

Gotta love selfish fans who want the whole show to end just because their favourite character leaves! Many, many people worldwide enjoyed seasons 9 and 10 just fine, a heck of a lot of them bought the DVDs and at the end of the day, that's all MGM is really interested in. For that matter, the addition of Browder and Black and the season 10 milestone got the show more mainstream media attention than they ever got during RDA's years, who knows how much that boosted their DVD sales?

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM
TPTB own words were SciFi has given us the time to wrap up the Show. TPTB had more episodes to create when news hit the series was not being picked up.TPTB had plenty of time to pick up the phone and ask RDA to appear. If he says no he say no.

majorsal
November 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Or time his episodes so that the finale can be one of the five?

hmm.... sounds kind of... smart.

(((:jack_new15:)))

sally :)

ses110
November 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM
It's not about being selfish. Get a clue. Most shows do not do well when the star leaves the show. Especially characters driven shows like SG-1. This is not Law and Order. All I know is there was not one peep of ratings problems when RDA was on the show.BB and CB had nothing to do with getting Season 10. The show tanked early in Season 9. The show only got a 10th season so SciFi can get the record. The show was cancelled right after the 200th episode. What does that tell you? The media also never gave that much attention to the show. It's a show on the Scifi channel not on a major network

jenks
November 11th, 2007, 04:11 PM
SciFi gave TPTB plenty of time to come up with the last episode.

What?! It was a matter of weeks, and the finale had to be totally rewritten! There wasn't even enough time to sort out any new locations, hence the whole episode had to be on an existing set...

RDA came back for 5 eps and is doing one of the Movies. He seems interested in still being on SG-1. When I say hold up I meant it did not seem RDA needed to demand big Money to appear.

It's not a case of need though is it. Would he still be interested if they weren't paying him so much money? Obviously not.

the fifth man
November 11th, 2007, 04:26 PM
If TPTB choose to stick solely with the "new" SG-1, or do an "old" SG-1 movie, they'll be ticking off a certain percentage of SG-1 fans either way. That's why I really feel that, if the stories would work with it, they could find a way to incorporate O'Neill into any future movies without cutting Vala and Mitchell out. IMO, that's the only way to not alienate certain fans.

ReganX
November 12th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Cute theory. But as MGM is concerned with DVD sales for these movies, not the TV ratings in one single country and from all reports the DVDs of season 9 and 10 have sold very well indeed - season 10 was in the top ten list on Amazon for far longer than season 3 of SGA - I'd say MGM are more than happy with Mitchell and Vala's contribution to the franchise.

As a matter of curiousity, how well is "very well". Are there numbers available, even rough estimates? The episode DVD sales are probably a much better gauge of how well the movies can expect to sell than the TV ratings are.

ReganX
November 12th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I said it at the time. The end of Season 8 was a perfect time to take SG-1 into Movies. RDA even said he was hoping to do some SG-1 Movies instead of continuing on to more seasons.

Movies would have been far less time consuming than a full season; combined, two two-hour movies would be the time equivilent of six episodes instead of twenty.

With hindsight, it might have been better for SG-1 to end at Season Eight and continue in movies, with Atlantis and Stargate Command airing on TV - perhaps waiting at least a year or two before starting Stargate Command to give Atlantis the benefit of the extra attention - but they can't change the past.

ReganX
November 12th, 2007, 04:20 AM
TPTB own words were SciFi has given us the time to wrap up the Show. TPTB had more episodes to create when news hit the series was not being picked up.TPTB had plenty of time to pick up the phone and ask RDA to appear. If he says no he say no.

Has RDA said anything about whether or not he was asked?

As far as the timing of the cancellation is concerned, didn't TPTB say that they left the last three episodes or so unwritten until they got word whether or not they were going to have another season? Once Season Nine was approved, it was highly unlikely that they wouldn't get a tenth season for the record but they can't have been unaware that there was no guarantee that they'd get an eleventh season unless Nine and Ten performed well enough to merit continuation so I'm sure that they were aware that they might need to plan for a series finale instead of a season finale.

ReganX
November 12th, 2007, 04:22 AM
If TPTB choose to stick solely with the "new" SG-1, or do an "old" SG-1 movie, they'll be ticking off a certain percentage of SG-1 fans either way. That's why I really feel that, if the stories would work with it, they could find a way to incorporate O'Neill into any future movies without cutting Vala and Mitchell out. IMO, that's the only way to not alienate certain fans.

That's really their most sensible course of action.

If a situation arises where one of the actors is unavailable, then it's up to TPTB to decide whether or not a movie would be workable without their character.

partly cloudy skies
November 12th, 2007, 10:32 AM
. IMO SG-1 should have ended after season 8 on a high note on their own terms and we could have had a couple fo SG-1 Movies by now.

Um, no thinak you. IMO, since we are discussing our opinions here, I think Jack sucked for half of season seven and parts of season 8. I was very ready to see him go and quit acting like it was Stargate Simpsons. I think the two year break did him good and we'll see the earlier Jack back in the films rather than "mmmm, beeeeer," Jack.

I however, am one of those evil and unwanted people that enjoyed seasons 9 and 10 and the addition of Cameron and Vala. What a bad fan I must be.

poundpuppy29
November 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I agree Jack in 6 7 8 was not the same Jack in 1 thru 5. When I was watching the DVDs this year I noticed a difference starting in season 6 from RDA.

EmmaPeel
November 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Gotta love selfish fans who want the whole show to end just because their favourite character leaves! Many, many people worldwide enjoyed seasons 9 and 10 just fine, a heck of a lot of them bought the DVDs and at the end of the day, that's all MGM is really interested in. For that matter, the addition of Browder and Black and the season 10 milestone got the show more mainstream media attention than they ever got during RDA's years, who knows how much that boosted their DVD sales?

I hear ya....those darn selfish fans. Kind of like the ones who wanted SGA to fail and not be renewed, so they could relish blaming AT/SC for it. You know those kinds of selfish fans, right?

poundpuppy29
November 12th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I hear ya....those darn selfish fans. Kind of like the ones who wanted SGA to fail and not be renewed, so they could relish blaming AT/SC for it. You know those kinds of selfish fans, right?
I for 1 do not blame AT/SC at all I totally and completely blame TPTB 100% AT was put in a difficult position.

To get back on topic sure would I like to see RDA in more movies if the stories are good and he's interested.

kirmit
November 12th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Um, no thinak you. IMO, since we are discussing our opinions here, I think Jack sucked for half of season seven and parts of season 8. I was very ready to see him go and quit acting like it was Stargate Simpsons. I think the two year break did him good and we'll see the earlier Jack back in the films rather than "mmmm, beeeeer," Jack.

I however, am one of those evil and unwanted people that enjoyed seasons 9 and 10 and the addition of Cameron and Vala. What a bad fan I must be.

I agree on all accounts.

If there are any movies after these to I could see it being a 6 person team with all members, be much more logical than alienating some of the fanbase, we'll just have to see how Continuum ends.

Stargater34
November 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM
It think RDA will be in more than one movie cause he appears to want to get back into the Stargate franchise. If you read the news about him appearing in Gatecon in 08 shows that he is committed. The powers to be know RDA appearing in movies cannot hurt.:jack:

Jumper_One
November 12th, 2007, 01:16 PM
If you read the news about him appearing in Gatecon in 08 shows that he is committed.

it also says on his homepage:

[...] He added, however, that this doesn't mean he has left acting behind for good. Once he is feeling healthy again, he'll be ready to consider stepping in front of the camera once more. [...]

*fingers crossed* :jack:

partly cloudy skies
November 12th, 2007, 01:44 PM
it also says on his homepage:

[...] He added, however, that this doesn't mean he has left acting behind for good. Once he is feeling healthy again, he'll be ready to consider stepping in front of the camera once more. [...]

*fingers crossed* :jack:

awesome. Because that's what I want to see, RDA really wanting to take on the role. He kicks butt when he is spot on, so it's pretty blatantly obvious when he's not giving it his all or just plain doesn't really want to be there. I hope we get a couple of movies involving him, and I mean the REAL Jack and not an AU version of him.

Nikki
November 12th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I don't understand why people are getting so stressy about this. :S The 'new' SG1 get their own movie (AoT) and so fans of the 'classic' SG1 think that they should get one movie too, where as the rest star all six. What's so unfair about that? The new fans get a treat and the classic fans get a treat too, where as the other movies are a compromise.

This discussion is about what fans want and what is fair, not what's actually going to happen. For continuity purposes TPTB had to let RCC finish his Ori storyline...RCC didn't want RDA and so RDA's not in the movie. But after seasons 9/10, I doubt TPTB are going to let RCC be alone in the car again let alone in the driving seat. All future projects are probably going to involve a collaboration of PTB (BW, JM etc) and so will probably have all six leads as long as all six are available, seeing they want to target all fans.

However, this is not about what's going to happen, it's about what's fair to the fan base as a whole. The new SG1 got a movie dedicated to their arc without any interference from any old faces :jack: after two years. They also get to sleep soundly with the knowledge that their favs :cameron::vala: will also be returning for yet another movie, however, this time with the return of :jack:. So they can have their cake (AoT) and eat it too (Continuum). Where as the fans who loved the classic SG1 for eight years aren't allowed to have one movie to themselves because the 'new' SG1 fans are getting their knickers in a twist about the morality of their favs being excluded from one out of god knows how many future films? Esp seeing as when RDA fans are happy with the fact that he gets to be in one of the two that we know for sure are produced/in production. Kinda really shows which fan base is being selfish here, doesn't it?

'New SG1' fans - We want our own movie to finish our arc with our own cast seeing as RDA/Jack wasn't involved in the Ori storyline.

TPTB - OK.

'New SG1' fans - YAAY!

'Classic SG1' fans - Can we have our own movie too?

'New SG1' fans - No!!! How dare you leave out the newbies?!?! You're being so unfair!! RDA left to spend time with his daughter - that was his problem - he can't just come to a show he's dedicated eight years to because we've already replaced him!!! No, there's no way in hell you guys can have a single movie with just your cast!!!

End scene.

:comeon: give me a break...:rolleyes:

kirmit
November 12th, 2007, 02:14 PM
RDA is already out of the loop, that's why it was easy to leave him out of AoT without upsetting fans. Vala and Cam are firmly in the loop, what good reason would TPTB have for them to not be in a movie other than the 'Old' SG-1 fans are crying for them to be left out? Give a lame excuse like they've gone fishing? They're part of SG-1, the world needs saving, they're going to be on the team trying to save it. Lets just have Landry sit them down and say they're not allowed to go because they want the old team going out on this one? I'm a fan of all SG-1, new and old, I don't really care if we get an 'Original' SG-1 movie, I had my fill with 'Lost city' and 8 years of good SG-1. Why can't fans just be happy he's actually in one movie at least and playing a major role? I suppose it's the nature of fans to moan and groan about something though lol.

ReganX
November 12th, 2007, 02:28 PM
RDA is already out of the loop, that's why it was easy to leave him out of AoT without upsetting fans. Vala and Cam are firmly in the loop, what good reason would TPTB have for them to not be in a movie other than the 'Old' SG-1 fans are crying for them to be left out? Give a lame excuse like they've gone fishing? They're part of SG-1, the world needs saving, they're going to be on the team trying to save it. Lets just have Landry sit them down and say they're not allowed to go because they want the old team going out on this one?

What if they're injured, kidnapped, on a mission somewhere unreachable? What if the movie is set at a time when SG-1 has actually disbanded and not all of them can be reached when the world needs saving? If Vala and/or Mitchell aren't able to be there, the rest of the team is hardly going to let the planet be destroyed because the new characters can't be there too.

:daniel: We'we on stwike!
:indeed:
:sam43: We're not gonna help without our friends here too, so there!

If, hypothetically speaking, TPTB do want to make an original team only movie or a movie without one or more of the characters, depending on actor availability, they have options.

ReganX
November 12th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I don't understand why people are getting so stressy about this. :S The 'new' SG1 get their own movie (AoT) and so fans of the 'classic' SG1 think that they should get one movie too, where as the rest star all six. What's so unfair about that? The new fans get a treat and the classic fans get a treat too, where as the other movies are a compromise.

As a matter of curiousity, how would you feel if the original team only movie was set between "Moebius, Part 2" and "Avalon, Part 1", a filler of sorts instead of following the other two movies in chronological order?

I'm interested in whether those who want the original team only movie would be okay with that scenario.

kirmit
November 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM
What if they're injured, kidnapped, on a mission somewhere unreachable? What if the movie is set at a time when SG-1 has actually disbanded and not all of them can be reached when the world needs saving?

If, hypothetically speaking, TPTB do want to make an original team only movie or a movie without one or more of the characters, depending on actor availability, they have options.

Injured, both of them, then it'll have to be explained in the movie so won't technically be an all original SG-1 movie, kidnapped, then the aim of the movie will getting the back likely, again not an all original SG-1 movie. To be honest any excuse they give would just be lame and just an obvious ply to get them out of the way for the original SG-1 to take front and center.

ses110
November 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Good points Nikki. IMO Some fans are soo threatened by RDA and the Jack character because SG-1 was such a hit in Seasons 1-8 and we all saw what happended with Season 9 and 10. It kills some Fans the show went in the tank.Some Fans will also never rip anything that BB and CB are in. It sounds like RDA wants back in and I love it.

ReganX
November 12th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Injured, both of them, then it'll have to be explained in the movie so won't technically be an all original SG-1 movie, kidnapped, then the aim of the movie will getting the back likely, again not an all original SG-1 movie.

Well, would a mostly original team movie be acceptable to those who want an original team only movie?

Injuries could be explained offscreen; SG-1's last mission went badly and Mitchell and Vala are still chained to their beds in the infirmary. Even a visit wouldn't be essential.

If they're on a long-term mission and unreachable - ie. on a ship that's not expected to be back in contact range for another week or so - a few lines would suffice to explain it.

To be honest any excuse they give would just be lame and just an obvious ply to get them out of the way for the original SG-1 to take front and center.

As somebody who would be thrilled to see an original team movie, or even a mostly original team movie, I have to say that I wouldn't care if it looked like a ploy.

Heaven knows I've seen crappier plot devices.

kirmit
November 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Good points Nikki. IMO Some fans are soo threatened by RDA and the Jack character because SG-1 was such a hit in Seasons 1-8 and we all saw what happended with Season 9 and 10. It kills some Fans the show went in the tank.Some Fans will also never rip anything that BB and CB are in. It sounds like RDA wants back in and I love it.

That's a matter of Opinion, not fact. For YOU seasons 9 and 10 tanked but for alot it was just as good and to think fans are threatened by an RDA appearance is plain silly, ask any fan seasons 1-6 they loved him, 7 and 8 he was not the Jack he'd previously been for alot of fans. They aren't threatened by him, they just want the old Jack, with a viable excuse for being there other than 'Im just here to appease the old fans'.

As somebody who would be thrilled to see an original team movie, or even a mostly original team movie, I have to say that I wouldn't care if it looked like a ploy.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, imo you're never going to get an entirely original SG-1 movie, a partial one is doable though.

ReganX
November 12th, 2007, 02:42 PM
It sounds like RDA wants back in and I love it.

Me too. It hasn't been the same without him.

ses110
November 12th, 2007, 02:48 PM
It's a Fact because the ratings told the story. I was talking about Season 9 and 10 Fans only and not Fans from 1-8 that felt threatened by RDA. I heard many Fans say why is RDA coming back? He left the show. Regarding Jack in Season 7 and 8 he had less screen time and that's why there were less offworld missions so the team can have scenes with RDA. Even with the Problems due to RDA schedule the ratings were never better. Only in Season 9 did the ratings drop big time.

kirmit
November 12th, 2007, 02:53 PM
It's a Fact because the ratings told the story. I was talking about Season 9 and 10 Fans only and not Fans from 1-8 that felt threatened by RDA. I heard many Fans say why is RDA coming back? He left the show. Regarding Jack in Season 7 and 8 he had less screen time and that's why there were less offworld missions so the team can have scenes with RDA.

If you hadn't noticed ratings have slowly been declining on all shows in previous years, those ratings are screwed up anyway so I wouldn't ever use them to justify a statement. So let me get this straight, your saying fans of just seasons 9 and 10 are threatened by RDA because they don't want him in the movie, yet you a 1-8 fan don't want Vala and Mitchell in a movie, so by your logic you're threatened by them?

jenks
November 12th, 2007, 02:55 PM
It's a Fact because the ratings told the story. I was talking about Season 9 and 10 Fans only and not Fans from 1-8 that felt threatened by RDA. I heard many Fans say why is RDA coming back? He left the show. Regarding Jack in Season 7 and 8 he had less screen time and that's why there were less offworld missions so the team can have scenes with RDA. Even with the Problems due to RDA schedule the ratings were never better. Only in Season 9 did the ratings drop big time.

Stop trolling.

ses110
November 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Nice intelligent comment. I'll slow down so you can keep up. Go watch your Season 9 and 10 DVD's.

ses110
November 12th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Funny how the ratings never slowed in Season 1-8. I only want one SG-1 Movie with just the original SG-1. I'm not threatened by Mitchell and Vala. Mitchell and Vala are only a threat to the ratings.

Jumper_One
November 12th, 2007, 04:00 PM
If you hadn't noticed ratings have slowly been declining on all shows in previous years, those ratings are screwed up anyway so I wouldn't ever use them to justify a statement.

Funny how the ratings never slowed in Season 1-8. I only want one SG-1 Movie with just the original SG-1. I'm not threatened by Mitchell and Vala. Mitchell and Vala are only a threat to the ratings.

I agree with kirmit, the ratings have been declining for some years. however ses110 just wants to point out that this isn't the only reason for the heavier drop in SG-1's last 2 years and that may very well be true. the show has lost a lot more viewers because of RDA's departure than it gained through s9 and 10 imo. but that's totally debatable of course. personally I still like the show, it's just a little different that's all (though I'd always choose the 'old' SG-1 over the 'new' but that's just me)

I guess you'll just have to agree to disagree since we'll never know how many people actually stopped watching the show after s8 (or am I wrong???)

EmmaPeel
November 12th, 2007, 04:47 PM
That's a matter of Opinion, not fact. For YOU seasons 9 and 10 tanked but for alot it was just as good and to think fans are threatened by an RDA appearance is plain silly, ask any fan seasons 1-6 they loved him, 7 and 8 he was not the Jack he'd previously been for alot of fans. They aren't threatened by him, they just want the old Jack, with a viable excuse for being there other than 'Im just here to appease the old fans'.

I think a certain number of fans are threatened by Jack being back, in a way. For them, Jack being back means the possibility of having him interact more with Carter than with Daniel, and it's unacceptable for those fans; they'd rather have NO Jack and have a movie full of Vala with Daniel than have Jack in the movie and not paying enough attention to Daniel. Really....quite true. I think BB is basically a non-issue for the *majority* of fans simply because Mitchell was not and is not one of the better written characters (solely on the writers there).

IMO, the Jack of S1-6 will never be back and part of that is because that old Jack just isn't compatible with being a General. RDA simply cannot play General Jack like he did Colonel Jack, just like MS can't play Action Jackson like the old Daniel. I'd like to see the old Daniel back as well, but that's not going to happen.

I hope he does more than one movie. I think there's room for ALL the characters in a 3rd movie – but it all starts with the writing.

jenks
November 12th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Nice intelligent comment. I'll slow down so you can keep up. Go watch your Season 9 and 10 DVD's.

Nice unintelligible comment. What has any of this got to do with RDA doing another movie? Or are you just trying to bait another argument?

partly cloudy skies
November 12th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I think a certain number of fans are threatened by Jack being back, in a way. For them, Jack being back means the possibility of having him interact more with Carter than with Daniel, and it's unacceptable for those fans; they'd rather have NO Jack and have a movie full of Vala with Daniel than have Jack in the movie and not paying enough attention to Daniel. Really....quite true. I think BB is basically a non-issue for the *majority* of fans simply because Mitchell was not and is not one of the better written characters (solely on the writers there).

IMO, the Jack of S1-6 will never be back and part of that is because that old Jack just isn't compatible with being a General. RDA simply cannot play General Jack like he did Colonel Jack, just like MS can't play Action Jackson like the old Daniel. I'd like to see the old Daniel back as well, but that's not going to happen.

I hope he does more than one movie. I think there's room for ALL the characters in a 3rd movie – but it all starts with the writing.

What on earth are you trying to imply here? People that like Daniel don't want Jack in the movie because he will talk to Sam more than Daniel? Why is it being assumed that putting Jack into the movie will automatically make it some sort of huge Sam/Jack film? I'm willing to bet that we'll see quite a bit of Jack interaction with Mitchell, actually at some point, as they've certainly done so in the past, with Jack often giving advice to him.

You say, "really, quite true", but only on a ship specific thread have I read a desire for the movie to be only about Daniel and Vala. Otherwise, I often see wishes expressed for a team film, or for the old team to interact more with each other since it was missing quite a bit from the last two seasons.

To me, it looks like your own fears or prejudices are showing by painting all Daniel fans with the same brush.

ses110
November 12th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I'm not the one who used the word troll. I can have a discussion without calling someone names. Can you?

EmmaPeel
November 12th, 2007, 05:04 PM
What on earth are you trying to imply here? People that like Daniel don't want Jack in the movie because he will talk to Sam more than Daniel? Why is it being assumed that putting Jack into the movie will automatically make it some sort of huge Sam/Jack film? I'm willing to bet that we'll see quite a bit of Jack interaction with Mitchell, actually at some point, as they've certainly done so in the past, with Jack often giving advice to him.

You say, "really, quite true", but only on a ship specific thread have I read a desire for the movie to be only about Daniel and Vala. Otherwise, I often see wishes expressed for a team film, or for the old team to interact more with each other since it was missing quite a bit from the last two seasons.

To me, it looks like your own fears or prejudices are showing by painting all Daniel fans with the same brush.

I'm not trying to "imply" anything. I'm stately categorically that a certain number of people who are very big Jack/Daniel fans and anti-Sam/Jack fans would rather NOT see Jack back if it means he is going to pay more attention to Carter than to Daniel – so strong is their hatred of anything resembling Jack/Sam ship. This sentiment has been openly expressed by some people; not necessarily on this forum.

You'll notice that I did not say "All Daniel Fans", nor did I say all fans of any persuasion, so the "painting all Daniel fans with the same brush" is an irrelevant remark. I said a certain number of fans...... Yes, I do believe Jack being back is a threat for those fans and they'd rather not have him if it means they have to deal with any hint of Jack/Sam.

I don't know *why* it is assumed that putting Jack in a film will automatically make it a big Sam/Jack film, but I can *assure* you that xx number of fans feel that way and are already filled with dread that it will happen in the second film.

jenks
November 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I'm not the one who used the word troll. I can have a discussion without calling someone names. Can you?

I never called you a name. I told you to stop trolling.

partly cloudy skies
November 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I'm stately categorically that a certain number of people who are very big Jack/Daniel fans and anti-Sam/Jack fans would rather NOT see Jack back if it means he is going to pay more attention to Carter than to Daniel – so strong is their hatred of anything resembling Jack/Sam ship. This sentiment has been openly expressed by some people; not necessarily on this forum.

Why do I care what people are saying on another forum? They're not saying it here, but you made it sound like in your first post that Gateworld has this certain group of people running around stating that the second movie will suck because Sam and Jack are making kissy faces and Jack isn't talking to Daniel. I haven't seen that here at all, even in the Jack-Daniel slash friendship thread.

If the other forum your visiting is like a big slash or like McShep forum or something, then yeah, I can see people saying that. But they are not saying it here, and this is the only forum that matters to me.

For the record, I want to see all six of the more main characters in the films, and my preference would be to have a scene at some point between Jack and Vala, because I think it would be interesting to really see them interact or try to see Jack fend her off.

ReganX
November 13th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I agree with kirmit, the ratings have been declining for some years. however ses110 just wants to point out that this isn't the only reason for the heavier drop in SG-1's last 2 years and that may very well be true. the show has lost a lot more viewers because of RDA's departure than it gained through s9 and 10 imo. but that's totally debatable of course. personally I still like the show, it's just a little different that's all (though I'd always choose the 'old' SG-1 over the 'new' but that's just me)

Actually, from Season Six through Eight, the general trend of the ratings seems to have been more of an increase, with a decline from the beginning of Season Nine onwards.

astrogeologist made a graph to illustrate a while back. http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=5732790&postcount=51200

While I don't think the cast changes were the sole cause, I would say that they were definitely a contributing factor.

I guess you'll just have to agree to disagree since we'll never know how many people actually stopped watching the show after s8 (or am I wrong???)

We'll be able to tell how much lower the viewer numbers are for Seasons Nine and Ten compared with Season Eight, but remember that however many new viewers started watching in Seasons Nine and Ten, that many more stopped watching.

For example, if Season Eight averaged 2.1 in the ratings and Season Nine averaged 1.8, a loss of 0.3 ratings points worth of viewers, but if the Season Nine figure accounts for a gain of 0.3 ratings points worth of new viewers, then the number of lost viewers is doubled.

Nikki
November 13th, 2007, 08:58 AM
As a matter of curiousity, how would you feel if the original team only movie was set between "Moebius, Part 2" and "Avalon, Part 1", a filler of sorts instead of following the other two movies in chronological order?

I'm interested in whether those who want the original team only movie would be okay with that scenario.

Yep, I'd be happy with that too. :)

Thanks. :) And me too. :jack:

Well, would a mostly original team movie be acceptable to those who want an original team only movie?

Injuries could be explained offscreen; SG-1's last mission went badly and Mitchell and Vala are still chained to their beds in the infirmary. Even a visit wouldn't be essential.

If they're on a long-term mission and unreachable - ie. on a ship that's not expected to be back in contact range for another week or so - a few lines would suffice to explain it.

Indeed. :tealc:

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, imo you're never going to get an entirely original SG-1 movie, a partial one is doable though.

Actually the ratings show that seasons 9/10 did in fact tank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/accesspics/sg1seasonratings6thru10linear.gif

<snip>
<snip>

Couldn't agree with you more. In essence Jack O'Neill is still the same as he always has been...but once he became a Gen. he couldn't just behave like he did when he was a Col. - it'd be too unrealistic. But I loved him back when and still do because the evolution of the character was done so well...which is more than I can say for the Daniel character. Loved Danny :daniel: S1-8, not a fan of ActionJackson! :daniel24: S9/10.

Jumper_One
November 13th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Actually, from Season Six through Eight, the general trend of the ratings seems to have been more of an increase, with a decline from the beginning of Season Nine onwards.

astrogeologist made a graph to illustrate a while back. http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=5732790&postcount=51200

While I don't think the cast changes were the sole cause, I would say that they were definitely a contributing factor.

I think you misunderstood me. when I was talking about the last 2 years of SG-1 I meant s9 and 10 and not 7 and 8. sry if I confused you. :S
I've seen that graph before (but thanx for the link ;)).

I agree, the cast changes weren't the only cause for the decline but certainly a big one (imo mainly because RDA left, hell this whole thread is about his 'return')

We'll be able to tell how much lower the viewer numbers are for Seasons Nine and Ten compared with Season Eight, but remember that however many new viewers started watching in Seasons Nine and Ten, that many more stopped watching.

For example, if Season Eight averaged 2.1 in the ratings and Season Nine averaged 1.8, a loss of 0.3 ratings points worth of viewers, but if the Season Nine figure accounts for a gain of 0.3 ratings points worth of new viewers, then the number of lost viewers is doubled.

you're right of course. but let's just say there were people who stopped watching the show from s9 onward AND others started watching it AND there had been a decline in ratings. in this case we wouldn't be able to tell if the drop was because of the general decline in ratings or because less people actually watched the show. does this make sense? now I'm confused myself :o

kirmit
November 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Ok if you want to talk about ratings, lets compare Atlantis. Throughout seasons 9 and 10, so 2 and 3 of Atlantis the ratings were basically the same at the premieres with SG-1 actually having more viewers in the late night showings. So therefore seasons 2 and 3 of Atlantis must've been just as 'rubbish' as 9 and 10 of SG-1, no? Like I said before though these ratings are screwed up, only getting them from a few selected households, you want to use them in the arguement fair enough but for me they mean didily squat, they do not show what the entire SG-1 fanbase thought.

Stargater34
November 13th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Ok if you want to talk about ratings, lets compare Atlantis. Throughout seasons 9 and 10, so 2 and 3 of Atlantis the ratings were basically the same at the premieres with SG-1 actually having more viewers in the late night showings. So therefore seasons 2 and 3 of Atlantis must've been just as 'rubbish' as 9 and 10 of SG-1, no? Like I said before though these ratings are screwed up, only getting them from a few selected households, you want to use them in the arguement fair enough but for me they mean didily squat, they do not show what the entire SG-1 fanbase thought.
Completely agree.

kirmit
November 13th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Completely agree.

Thank you.

Anyway the question here is Will RDA do more movies? Answer yes he certainly would like to and probably will. Will fans be happy he's in a movie? no, they'll want more and more because they can't be greatful for what they're getting. Hell I want more Ori movies, will I get them? Nope, am I going to moan and groan about it? Nope, I'm Happy we're getting one movie with them.

the fifth man
November 13th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Thank you.

Anyway the question here is Will RDA do more movies? Answer yes he certainly would like to and probably will. Will fans be happy he's in a movie? no, they'll want more and more because they can't be greatful for what they're getting. Hell I want more Ori movies, will I get them? Nope, am I going to moan and groan about it? Nope, I'm Happy we're getting one movie with them.

I agree with your previous post as well.:)

Personally, I will be grateful for whatever screen-time RDA gets in Continuum. It'll just be nice to see him functioning with the "new" team a bit.

As for the Ori, I'm happy we're getting Ark of Truth as well. Another season or two would have been much nicer, but I'll take what I can get.

Charisma88
November 14th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I was just going through and reading posts like usual, not one to reply but I felt an urge to say something about this thread. I absolutely lov RDA as :jack: but I am having a hard time reading most of these posts because of the bickering about the :jack::sam::tealc::daniel: VS :sam::cameron::tealc::daniel::vala: there is no comparison they are both unique in their own way. However I believe that you can not replace a main character for another it is death for a show as demonstrated by the cancellation of stargate sg1. :cameron: was a bad replacement no offence the character did eventually grow on me but he was poorly written and his back-story didn’t really have an impact on me such as his recovery from the air crash it seemed unconvincing I thought he was rather plain. The only thing I liked about seasons 9-10 was :vala: she was a hoot now this character fitted in the story she was from season 8 and I believe she brought some interesting things into the mix and made :daniel: crazy which was fun. Now for the people who said that the present :jack: is not like the old :jack: well I have to say characters grow they evolve and change. Present :jack: is a General and he is older and has more responsibilities he is in charge of the world’s security. The only story with :jack: in it will involve him being a General and anyway if there is a third movie what about the rest the team they are all different with different jobs :sam: is the commander of Atlantis :tealc: may have left sg1 for a more dominate role with his people like their leader and :daniel: well I have Know idea.
Kind regards!

VSS
November 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I was just going through and reading posts like usual, not one to reply but I felt an urge to say something about this thread. I absolutely lov RDA as :jack: but I am having a hard time reading most of these posts because of the bickering about the :jack::sam::tealc::daniel: VS :sam::cameron::tealc::daniel::vala: there is no comparison they are both unique in their own way. However I believe that you can not replace a main character for another it is death for a show as demonstrated by the cancellation of stargate sg1. :cameron: was a bad replacement no offence the character did eventually grow on me but he was poorly written and his back-story didn’t really have an impact on me such as his recovery from the air crash it seemed unconvincing I thought he was rather plain. The only thing I liked about seasons 9-10 was :vala: she was a hoot now this character fitted in the story she was from season 8 and I believe she brought some interesting things into the mix and made :daniel: crazy which was fun. Now for the people who said that the present :jack: is not like the old :jack: well I have to say characters grow they evolve and change. Present :jack: is a General and he is older and has more responsibilities he is in charge of the world’s security. The only story with :jack: in it will involve him being a General and anyway if there is a third movie what about the rest the team they are all different with different jobs :sam: is the commander of Atlantis :tealc: may have left sg1 for a more dominate role with his people like their leader and :daniel: well I have Know idea.
Kind regards!

Well, I think you've made a lot of valid points there. Logically, that's the way things should go. However, we have to remember that this is sci-fi and they can play these characters any way they want to. I think Jack is still a Colonel in most of Continuum because it's an AU story. Look what they did in Unending. I mean, all they really need is alien technology or a virus and *poof* the characters can become completely different. Not that I agree with any of this. I am especially sick of the time travel/AU- it's an excuse to play the characters and then say "Oh, that didn't really happen." Which makes me less than thrilled about Continuum.

Also, Sam's already the commander of Atlantis- but AoT and Continuum are coming out after Season 4- that doesn't bother TPTB.

Continuity has never really been their strong point, IMHO.