PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon background?

Boz4646
November 2nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
That scene where Sam and Rodney run outside Atlantis onto one of the many balconies. This scene is the most painted non realistic background I have seen since the early SG1 days. Budget cutbacks anyone?

KiLL3r
November 2nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
looked alright to me. was olny on screen for 4 seconds why waste $1000 on 4 seconds of tv?

November 2nd, 2007, 10:56 PM
That scene was beautiful and really conveyed a sense of the scale of Atlantis. I could almost feel the breeze coming in when the door opened and the smell of the ocean. It's basically the type of thing I'd imagine when reading from a good book about a lost oceanic city: the total immersion as I read the words and close my eyes to feel what it's like to be there.

AutumnDream
November 3rd, 2007, 12:39 AM
It looked really good. You trippin' bro.

Shan Bruce Lee
November 3rd, 2007, 02:59 AM
I can barely remember the scene so I could be way off but I swear I remember the lights being on all through the city. I've never paid antention to it before but shouldn't the lights be off throughout most of the city?

silkie
November 3rd, 2007, 03:25 AM
That scene where Sam and Rodney run outside Atlantis onto one of the many balconies. This scene is the most painted non realistic background I have seen since the early SG1 days. Budget cutbacks anyone?

I think you're right. AFAIC Tabula Rasa was a filler due to budget cuts...

Linzi
November 3rd, 2007, 03:29 AM
Nope, I disagree. It was just the way it was meant to look, with lights bleedng in everywhere. I thought it looked great personally. But, each to his/her own.

The.Road.Not.Taken
November 3rd, 2007, 03:32 AM
Nope, I disagree. It was just the way it was meant to look, with lights bleedng in everywhere. I thought it looked great personally. But, each to his/her own.

i agree:D:D it was a wkd background and they did a really fine job

DarkSullivan
November 3rd, 2007, 05:22 AM
The backround was nice, what are you talking about??

arjumand
November 3rd, 2007, 05:34 AM
I thought it looked great too: I liked that the lights were all on (because they always are: I'm hand-waving that they're using some kind of solar or wind power) cos it made the whole no-one remembers anything very realistic: they can't remember how to switch the damn things off!

Larry The Chevron Guy
November 3rd, 2007, 06:38 AM
I think you guys are missing one huge factor that played into the slight "cartoonyness" of that scene. If you recall, all the scenes shot in the Present tense had an effect overlay that somewhat blurred and colorized the camera. When bright lights come into play, they are not as sharp as you would normally see them.

They probably created CG models of the city VERY early on (Like in season One) since it is the centerpiece of the series, so the only time they would have to create a new scene of the city is for episodes like Adrift where parts of the city were half-destroyed and they needed a specific scene for that episode.

AGateFan
November 3rd, 2007, 06:41 AM
Seemed fine to me. Maybe someone should post a screenshot so we can see what the problem is.

Jumper_One
November 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM
I thought it was really cool to see part of the city again (with lights on). can't find anything wrong with that, I think it looks pretty nice

unknown.entity
November 3rd, 2007, 07:45 AM
Seemed fine to me. Maybe someone should post a screenshot so we can see what the problem is.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n63/140189/background_atlantis_city.png
I hope this screenshot helps! :)

Cory Holmes
November 3rd, 2007, 08:14 AM
I really liked the set-up to that scene:

Carter: "I mean, how big could this place be?"

*doors woosh open. Entire city of Atlantis is laid bare. Stunned silence follows.*

What really sold the scene was the gust of air whipping Carter's hair around (still don't like her with long hair much). Without that it wouldn't have worked as well.

Atlantis1
November 3rd, 2007, 09:57 AM
I thought that scene played out perfect. It was a great way to let them see the size of the city without taking to much of the short time they have to fit the show together. :)

WingedPegasus
November 3rd, 2007, 10:17 AM

Sweet! Thanks!

DeRoest
November 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM
That scene was beautiful and really conveyed a sense of the scale of Atlantis. I could almost feel the breeze coming in when the door opened and the smell of the ocean. It's basically the type of thing I'd imagine when reading from a good book about a lost oceanic city: the total immersion as I read the words and close my eyes to feel what it's like to be there.
that's our overstatement of the day

AGateFan
November 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks!
Still looks fine to me.
Maybe I play too many video games and am used to CG but it doesnt look particularly cartoony to me.

November 3rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
that's our overstatement of the day

Right, because you're the sole authority on what I'm allowed to feel about a scene. Get real.

CalmStorm
November 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
I love the night shots of Atlantis, it always looks so pretty.

However, it always stirkes me as odd that the whole d*** city is always lit up like a Christmas tree. Why the need to have all those rooms lit? It is energy wasted, no matter how small amount, and that should be of concern.

...still, makes for a great shot though.

WingedPegasus
November 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM

However, it always stirkes me as odd that the whole d*** city is always lit up like a Christmas tree. Why the need to have all those rooms lit? It is energy wasted, no matter how small amount, and that should be of concern.

Bingo! :p

garhkal
November 3rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
I can barely remember the scene so I could be way off but I swear I remember the lights being on all through the city. I've never paid antention to it before but shouldn't the lights be off throughout most of the city?

You would think so, but maybe cause they were searching for everyone they turned all the lights on do assist.. \

AS for me, it did seem a little more 'cartoony' than normal, but i can let it slide.

KiLL3r
November 3rd, 2007, 02:05 PM
lights probably only run off the naquada <-(bad spelling) generators and not the ZPM so they dont worry about it as much

Mitchell82
November 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM

Agreed it was a awsome shot.

Mitchell82
November 3rd, 2007, 03:39 PM
lights probably only run off the naquada <-(bad spelling) generators and not the ZPM so they dont worry about it as much

You got it very close, it's spelled Naquadah. As to the lights you're correct.

ashman2
November 4th, 2007, 02:02 AM
I thought it was awesome, just as we always get

garhkal
November 4th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Plus with the greater amt of the city lit, the more of a beacon it becomes to ships in orbit..

Mitchell82
November 4th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Plus with the greater amt of the city lit, the more of a beacon it becomes to ships in orbit..
Only if they were in the atmosphere.

Jackie
November 4th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I thought the background looked nice and yet it did look painted. I actually prefer they use a background that is slightly off and not look like a real city behind them because it reminds me that it's a TV show and it's supposed to be for my enjoyment.

I find some of the black and white movies with the hideous rolling screen shots are even nostalgic now because the plot of the movie is rather good and it distracts me from the lame scenery shot. I love the old movies for their stories.

I watched Topper on TMC over the weekend--the special effects were state of the art for 1937 and hideously funny by todays standard but I found the scenery didn't matter because Mr. Topper was just a riot.

garhkal
November 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Only if they were in the atmosphere.

Not really. Our shuttles in orbit can pick out cities by their lights..

Sarge300491
November 6th, 2007, 12:38 AM
cutbacks lol i thought they were using more money now with all the new sorta angles they have been doing, like where they were eating dinner in doppelganger and u can see atlantis and the ocean behind them.

and when heightmiyer died (dunno how to spell her name) and the camera span down to the bottom, that was pretty well done. and in reunion where they were showing the wraith base and such even in the replicator one, it appears they are using more money this season.

Mitchell82
November 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Not really. Our shuttles in orbit can pick out cities by their lights..

Good point.

PG15
November 8th, 2007, 10:31 PM
But why would any Wraith or Asuran ships even go to that planet?

P-90_177
November 8th, 2007, 11:59 PM

Obviously the ancients never thought of the light switch.