This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Supposed To Be Sequels To Original Movie

i don't know if this was ever discussed, but i remember reading how Roland Emmerich, the writer and director of the original movie, originally was gonna be a 3 part movie where the 2nd one was taken place 12 years after the first one and both were already written. Roland Emmerich said he talked to Kurt Russell and James Spader and they both wanted to do it.

anyone wish that they would still make the movies with Kurt Russell and James Spader, but make it like an alternate reality, what would have happened if SG-1 never formed and how the timeline originally was gonna go if the movies were made, but also keep making the sg-1 movies and atlantis show. i think that it would be a big plus for the franchise, but then again it could backfire, cause so many people are used to Richard Dean Anderson as Jack O'Neill and Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson and forget who the originals were.

but since alternate realities are so much in stargate sg-1 and atlantis, i wonder how things would have played out with the 3 original scripts put together.

If I recall, his idea for "sequels" would have been lame. I think he said it would relate many of the other myths to the stargate.
    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Well considering Independence Day was originally planned to be Stargate 2, and made over $300 million, won an oscar and 21 other various awards, I don't think "lame" would be a fair description.

However, it's usually best to just read the books set after the movie. They were (from what I know) written based on ideas by Emmerich and Devlin that would have been used in the sequels.

sigpic

Comment

The sequels got cancelled when MGM had SG-1 made, and now two SG-1 movies are in post-production. Clearly, MGM has no interest in sequels to the original movie and would rather have SG-1 movies made.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
          The sequels got cancelled when MGM had SG-1 made, and now two SG-1 movies are in post-production. Clearly, MGM has no interest in sequels to the original movie and would rather have SG-1 movies made.
          I don't believe the original poster was asjubg whether or not MGM was going to pick them up, only if people wish they could see them.

I for one do, and do not think they sounded lame.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

i think it would be rude in a way to just straight up act like the past 13 years of material are not canon and make a sequel to the original film. if these movies are ever made it would make two opposing continuities and two opposing armies of wrathful nerds (and no one wants to deal with that at conventions for the next 4+ decades)

Comment

I think he needs to let go he let go of the rights he let them go there are consequences for your actions he sold the rights.
              sigpic
              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                I think he needs to let go he let go of the rights he let them go there are consequences for your actions he sold the rights.
                Yes, while I can appreciate that it must be frustrating for Devlin to want to make the sequels and to be prevented from doing so, if he sold the rights, then he cannot complain if the new owners choose to exercise their right not to allow him to make his proposed movies.

If you sold your car, would you expect the new owner to let you drive it whenever you wanted?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by DeRoest View Post
                  i think it would be rude in a way to just straight up act like the past 13 years of material are not canon and make a sequel to the original film. if these movies are ever made it would make two opposing continuities and two opposing armies of wrathful nerds (and no one wants to deal with that at conventions for the next 4+ decades)
                  You're right, the story has moved on from the movie.

Comment

It would be nice if they made these.

The original left off with Daniel on Abydos.

The people get a nice coat of ice, when they walk through the gate.

And Ra was a whole alien hidden inside a boy.

What were they going to make the movies about? Anyone have a link?
                    Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                      It would be nice if they made these.

The original left off with Daniel on Abydos.

The people get a nice coat of ice, when they walk through the gate.

And Ra was a whole alien hidden inside a boy.

What were they going to make the movies about? Anyone have a link?
                      All I know is that they were supposed to be set 12 years after the first, with Daniel still on Abydos.

Comment

I was never a fan of the orginial movie. I enjoy watching Atlantis and SG-1 one a lot more. It would be a mistake to make the Stargate movies. You will be interfering with Stargate canon. And did you posters know that Devlin doesn't like the SG-1/Atlantis univeres. I bet that is a factor. Finally, my words of wisdom to Devlin GET OVER ITThe Stargate franchise has turned into a great form of viewing and movies would harm the franchise
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          I was never a fan of the orginial movie. I enjoy watching Atlantis and SG-1 one a lot more. It would be a mistake to make the Stargate movies. You will be interfering with Stargate canon. And did you posters know that Devlin doesn't like the SG-1/Atlantis univeres.
                          Has he said so?

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Finally, my words of wisdom to Devlin GET OVER ITThe Stargate franchise has turned into a great form of viewing and movies would harm the franchise
                          Don't worry; they're unlikely to be made at any point in the near future.

Comment

I honestly think that it might have brought alot more viewers to Stargate Sg-1. Although the original movie is the same in some ways it's completely different in most ways. I have a ton of friends that loved the Original movie but find the stargate sg-1 a little cheesy. In some ways I agree after watching the shows the second time and some times I don't.

But in bringing back the series on the big screen I feel many people could have connected with the original movie. Hence...maybe drawing more viewers to the tv show.
                            Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                              Has he said so?
                              Its one of those you have to read in between the lines. He never said it directly but you can tell he isn't a big fan of SG-1/Atlanti
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X