New Joss Whedon show: Dollhouse!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Joss Whedon show: Dollhouse!!

OK, after starting this, I saw it was posted in the Buffy thread, but heck, it deserves it's own:
    (from the Buffy thread and our very own Naonak)

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
    Big news!

*drumroll*

Joss Whedon is returning to TV!

Variety are reporting that he's working with Fox... that's right, Fox... on a new show called "Dollhouse", which will star Eliza Dushku.

The Hollywood Reporter, TV Guide and IGN are also reporting on the story.

More from www.icv2.com: http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/11560.html

Whedon Back on TV
    With 'Dollhouse'
    October 31, 2007

TV/movie/comics auteur Joss Whedon is back on TV with a new series on Fox starring Buffy regular Eliza Dushku. The sci-fi series Dollhouse will premiere next year; Whedon has a seven-episode order.

Dushku will play Echo, one of a group of secret agents who can be imprinted with different personalities depending on the assignment. Dollhouse refers to the setting, a futuristic dorm where the agents live.

Whedon came up with the idea and title for the series at lunch with Dushku in September, the idea was quickly pitched, and the deal signed. He told TV Week he was happy with the budget and the management team at Fox, where his short-lived Firefly series came to an ignominious end.

I just heard this and i heard it was already canceled!

Sounds... interesting, but honetsly the only show I like of his is Firefly. I don't like Buffy or Angel.

At least the idea is out there and not some lame cops show or something. Different is always welcomed, even if it will only last 7 episodes.

Comment

What happened to him saying he'd never work with Fox again? Or am I thinking of someone else?
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo View Post
        Sounds... interesting, but honetsly the only show I like of his is Firefly. I don't like Buffy or Angel.
        You and me both... I'd even go so far as to say I despise both shows.

Absolutely adore(d) Firefly/Serenity though, so should this see the light of day, I'll give it a shot.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Yeah, I love Firefly, and merely like Buffy (what I've seen of it, maybe my appreciation will grow with the show). But I like Firefly enough to give this a shot, I just hope there are a lot of important characters, I don't think I would like a Dushku-centric show.

Comment

Surprised about Joss working for Fox again, but then Joss hardly seems the type to hold a grudge, and he's said himself, his feelings post-cancellation of Firefly were mostly resolved after "Serenity". Not too sure about the premise personally, but then "cowboys in space" "girl killing vampires" and "vampire PI" aren't much better

EDIT: Having read around and gotten a better idea of what this show is all about, I think I get it more, looks like it could be another Whedon hit, especially since Joss' partner in crime, Tim Minear is involved too.
            Last edited by The Signal; 01 November 2007, 08:19 AM.
            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Absolutely adore(d) Firefly/Serenity though, so should this see the light of day, I'll give it a shot.

I hate Serenity, it felt like I was watching a completely different set of charters.

If I didn't watch Firefly first I would have liked the movie more.

Comment

I already can anticipate what is going to happen. He will hype this show up as the most exciting hour of television, then it will air, people fall asleep, then cancel. Afterwards some groupies will start a campaign to bring the show back on, they make a movie that bombs. Funny how life repeats itself.

Just reading the premise of the show is enough to know I will not watch. "imprinted with different personalities depending on the assignment"..sorry folks, but this sounds more like a Monty Python sketch.

Comment

This is some sweet news. Joss belongs back on TV.

Comment

Joss posts at Whedonesque!

Hi guys. What's going on?

I remember I was having lunch with Eliza, and thinking she was shiny, so shiny... and then I woke up here. Weird.

Pretty much everything has been said already, but I wanted to check in and give y'all muchas smooches for the support. This was all unexpected, but what can I say? When it's right, it's right. Right?

I'm kind of freaking out about the concept. It's fascinatng from every angle -- it won't stop talking to me. It's sweet and creepy and exciting and very human. I hope it doesn't suck, 'cause in my head it's fairly righteous.

As for young Minear's 'Miracle Man', that's still on -- he's agreed to consult for me while developing his own thing. He'll be doing the work of two near-men!

Updates will be updatified. Keep watching the skies. xo -j. joss | November 01, 16:06 CET

Comment

Annnnd.....it's already got a fansite!

Dollverse

This has got to be some kind of a record.....Just goes to show how much eagerness there is for new Joss-penned TV.

Comment

I'll certainly tune in if it ever sees the light of day since I'm a huge Buffy fan and also love Angel and Firefly. The concept sounds quite interesting. I'm kind of excited.

Comment

Hmmm Fox. Maybe they've seen how well Firefly sales on DVD? (does it? )
                          Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                            Hmmm Fox. Maybe they've seen how well Firefly sales on DVD? (does it? )
                            Firefly is a powerhouse in terms of DVD sales.

I don't care if it's on Fox. It's a new Joss show. That's what I care about!

Plus, they've already shown that they have faith in it with the seven episode order without seeing a pilot.

Comment

Words from his Joss-ness on the strike, and a mention of Dollhouse:

http://whedonesque.com/comments/14639

FROM THE FRONT LINES!

Sick as a dog but proud as a noble and much healthier dog, I made my way to the picket lines outside of Fox studios today. I’m really glad I did. In addition to carrying the banner, it was a chance to talk with other writers, get more perspectives and more information about what’s happening, and to see a surprising number of old friends. David Fury and Mere Smith were there, as well as many non-mutant enemies that I know. We were all caught in that giddy first burst of solidarity and fear. Nobody thinks this is going to be easy. But everybody there knows that, as things stand, it has to be.

A particularly gratifying and unexpected sight was that of Aly and Alexis, along with Cobie Smulders, marching shoulder to shoulder with the HIMYM scribes. Aly and Alexis even brought boxes of candy bars to hand out to the flagging marchers (actually, I was the only one who appeared to be flagging – even the pregnant writer outlasted me). Mere told me young Boreanaz had also been there earlier that day. I was really touched, but my actor-friends were very matter-of-fact about the whole thing. They understand that the issues at hand affect the future of the entire creative community here, and that the writers, by virtue of being first, will set a precedent that affects all the guilds. That is why we writers have to be firm, intractable and absolute in our dedication to getting a fair deal. And that’s all we’re talking about: a fair deal. For us, and for generations of artists to come.

Sounds pretty damn pompous, no? “Generations to come…”? Yeesh. But it’s true. Our culture, our government, our corporate structures have all gotten pretty used to taking care of ourselves at the expense of our children and their children. Part of this is simple greed, part is immediate practicality trumping long-view perspective, and part is perfectly understandable fear. It’s easier to take what you’e given, not protest, not make a fuss. A lot of people will suffer grievously if this strike isn’t quickly resolved, and the men and women who voted for it know that. But like so many things – our eco-system being the most obvious – if we don’t make it work now, what’s to come will be much worse.

Let me be clear on one point: I know I have it easy. I’ve done well, and I’m grateful that I can weather a long winter. Compared to what the studios have made off me my share is tiny and cute, but I’m in no position to complain. But take that differential, apply it to someone who’s just getting by when they deserve better. Now take it and… well, just take it, ‘cause when it comes to the internet and the emerging media there’s nothing there for the artists. There’s no precedent; these media didn’t exist the last time a contract was negotiated. We’re not just talking about an unfair deal, we’re talking about no deal at all. Four cents from the sale of a DVD (the standing WGA deal) sounds exactly as paltry as it is, but in a decade DVD may have gone the way of the eight-track. We have to protect the rights of the people who tell the stories, however they’re told. I’m never gonna be as articulate as Shawn or Brian (both of whom have been linked here, I believe), but I am just as committed. And a lot phlegmier.

I don’t think of the studio heads as a bunch of grinning tycoons sitting in a smoke-filled club and drumming their fingers like Montgomery Burns. I know some of those guys. I think they’re worried about the future as much as anyone. But they are beholden to their corporations, and that inevitably causes entrenchment and shortsightedness. They can’t afford that. This is an era of change, and for the giant conglomo-tainment empires, it will either be the Renaissance or the Ice Age. Because we will not stand down. Writers can be replaced, as we are constantly reminded. But so can companies. Power is on the move, and though in this town it’s been hoarded by very few, there are other companies with newer ideas about how to make money off of – or possibly, wonderfully, with – the story-tellers. Personally, I like things almost the way they are. I truly hope the executives negotiating for the AMPTP make the few simple concessions that will allow us to work with them again. I want to work. I have this idea, for a show about a girl… I even have the actress for it. And if we strike effectively, maybe she won’t have to.

I honestly started this post because of Aly and Alexis and their candy bars. But… well… there’s a lot going on. Huge props to the pizza people. Your support during this strike means more than I can express. (Note to self: picket near Jane.) I hope it won’t be long. I watched my Father strike, back in ’88. It was hard. But I was proud. I’m proud now.

Sincerely, -joss. joss | November 06, 03:40 CET

Comment

Working...
                              X