PDA

View Full Version : New Joss Whedon show: Dollhouse!!

Randy_Watson
November 1st, 2007, 05:03 AM
OK, after starting this, I saw it was posted in the Buffy thread, but heck, it deserves it's own:
(from the Buffy thread and our very own Naonak)

Big news!

*drumroll*

Joss Whedon is returning to TV!

Variety (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117975136.html?categoryid=14&cs=1) are reporting that he's working with Fox... that's right, Fox... on a new show called "Dollhouse", which will star Eliza Dushku.

The Hollywood Reporter, TV Guide and IGN (http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/831/831940p1.html) are also reporting on the story.

More from www.icv2.com: http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/11560.html

Whedon Back on TV
With 'Dollhouse'
October 31, 2007

TV/movie/comics auteur Joss Whedon is back on TV with a new series on Fox starring Buffy regular Eliza Dushku. The sci-fi series Dollhouse will premiere next year; Whedon has a seven-episode order.

Dushku will play Echo, one of a group of secret agents who can be imprinted with different personalities depending on the assignment. Dollhouse refers to the setting, a futuristic dorm where the agents live.

Whedon came up with the idea and title for the series at lunch with Dushku in September, the idea was quickly pitched, and the deal signed. He told TV Week he was happy with the budget and the management team at Fox, where his short-lived Firefly series came to an ignominious end.

Oreo
November 1st, 2007, 06:21 AM
I just heard this and i heard it was already canceled! :lol:

Sounds... interesting, but honetsly the only show I like of his is Firefly. I don't like Buffy or Angel.

At least the idea is out there and not some lame cops show or something. Different is always welcomed, even if it will only last 7 episodes.

DigiFluid
November 1st, 2007, 07:16 AM
What happened to him saying he'd never work with Fox again? Or am I thinking of someone else?

DigiFluid
November 1st, 2007, 07:17 AM
Sounds... interesting, but honetsly the only show I like of his is Firefly. I don't like Buffy or Angel.

You and me both... I'd even go so far as to say I despise both shows.

Absolutely adore(d) Firefly/Serenity though, so should this see the light of day, I'll give it a shot.

Randy_Watson
November 1st, 2007, 07:24 AM
Yeah, I love Firefly, and merely like Buffy (what I've seen of it, maybe my appreciation will grow with the show). But I like Firefly enough to give this a shot, I just hope there are a lot of important characters, I don't think I would like a Dushku-centric show.

The Signal
November 1st, 2007, 07:57 AM
Surprised about Joss working for Fox again, but then Joss hardly seems the type to hold a grudge, and he's said himself, his feelings post-cancellation of Firefly were mostly resolved after "Serenity". Not too sure about the premise personally, but then "cowboys in space" "girl killing vampires" and "vampire PI" aren't much better :P

EDIT: Having read around and gotten a better idea of what this show is all about, I think I get it more, looks like it could be another Whedon hit, especially since Joss' partner in crime, Tim Minear is involved too.

Oreo
November 1st, 2007, 08:18 AM
Absolutely adore(d) Firefly/Serenity though, so should this see the light of day, I'll give it a shot.

I hate Serenity, it felt like I was watching a completely different set of charters.

If I didn't watch Firefly first I would have liked the movie more.

AnUbIs2004
November 1st, 2007, 08:23 AM
I already can anticipate what is going to happen. He will hype this show up as the most exciting hour of television, then it will air, people fall asleep, then cancel. Afterwards some groupies will start a campaign to bring the show back on, they make a movie that bombs. Funny how life repeats itself.

Just reading the premise of the show is enough to know I will not watch. "imprinted with different personalities depending on the assignment"..sorry folks, but this sounds more like a Monty Python sketch.

Trek_Girl42
November 1st, 2007, 08:54 AM
This is some sweet news. Joss belongs back on TV. :D

Trek_Girl42
November 1st, 2007, 09:02 AM
Joss posts at Whedonesque (http://whedonesque.com/comments/14600)!

Hi guys. What's going on?

I remember I was having lunch with Eliza, and thinking she was shiny, so shiny... and then I woke up here. Weird.

Pretty much everything has been said already, but I wanted to check in and give y'all muchas smooches for the support. This was all unexpected, but what can I say? When it's right, it's right. Right?

I'm kind of freaking out about the concept. It's fascinatng from every angle -- it won't stop talking to me. It's sweet and creepy and exciting and very human. I hope it doesn't suck, 'cause in my head it's fairly righteous.

As for young Minear's 'Miracle Man', that's still on -- he's agreed to consult for me while developing his own thing. He'll be doing the work of two near-men!

Updates will be updatified. Keep watching the skies. xo -j. joss (http://whedonesque.com/user/13) | November 01, 16:06 CET (http://whedonesque.com/comments/14600#194509)

Trek_Girl42
November 1st, 2007, 02:30 PM
Annnnd.....it's already got a fansite!

Dollverse (http://www.dollverse.com/)

This has got to be some kind of a record.....Just goes to show how much eagerness there is for new Joss-penned TV. :P

MmmmMcKAy
November 1st, 2007, 02:49 PM
I'll certainly tune in if it ever sees the light of day since I'm a huge Buffy fan and also love Angel and Firefly. The concept sounds quite interesting. I'm kind of excited.:)

Angela V
November 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Hmmm Fox. Maybe they've seen how well Firefly sales on DVD? (does it? :) )

Trek_Girl42
November 5th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Hmmm Fox. Maybe they've seen how well Firefly sales on DVD? (does it? :) )
Firefly is a powerhouse in terms of DVD sales. :D

I don't care if it's on Fox. It's a new Joss show. That's what I care about! :D

Plus, they've already shown that they have faith in it with the seven episode order without seeing a pilot. :)

Trek_Girl42
November 6th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Words from his Joss-ness on the strike, and a mention of Dollhouse:

http://whedonesque.com/comments/14639

FROM THE FRONT LINES!

Sick as a dog but proud as a noble and much healthier dog, I made my way to the picket lines outside of Fox studios today. I’m really glad I did. In addition to carrying the banner, it was a chance to talk with other writers, get more perspectives and more information about what’s happening, and to see a surprising number of old friends. David Fury and Mere Smith were there, as well as many non-mutant enemies that I know. We were all caught in that giddy first burst of solidarity and fear. Nobody thinks this is going to be easy. But everybody there knows that, as things stand, it has to be.

A particularly gratifying and unexpected sight was that of Aly and Alexis, along with Cobie Smulders, marching shoulder to shoulder with the HIMYM scribes. Aly and Alexis even brought boxes of candy bars to hand out to the flagging marchers (actually, I was the only one who appeared to be flagging – even the pregnant writer outlasted me). Mere told me young Boreanaz had also been there earlier that day. I was really touched, but my actor-friends were very matter-of-fact about the whole thing. They understand that the issues at hand affect the future of the entire creative community here, and that the writers, by virtue of being first, will set a precedent that affects all the guilds. That is why we writers have to be firm, intractable and absolute in our dedication to getting a fair deal. And that’s all we’re talking about: a fair deal. For us, and for generations of artists to come.

Sounds pretty damn pompous, no? “Generations to come…”? Yeesh. But it’s true. Our culture, our government, our corporate structures have all gotten pretty used to taking care of ourselves at the expense of our children and their children. Part of this is simple greed, part is immediate practicality trumping long-view perspective, and part is perfectly understandable fear. It’s easier to take what you’e given, not protest, not make a fuss. A lot of people will suffer grievously if this strike isn’t quickly resolved, and the men and women who voted for it know that. But like so many things – our eco-system being the most obvious – if we don’t make it work now, what’s to come will be much worse.

Let me be clear on one point: I know I have it easy. I’ve done well, and I’m grateful that I can weather a long winter. Compared to what the studios have made off me my share is tiny and cute, but I’m in no position to complain. But take that differential, apply it to someone who’s just getting by when they deserve better. Now take it and… well, just take it, ‘cause when it comes to the internet and the emerging media there’s nothing there for the artists. There’s no precedent; these media didn’t exist the last time a contract was negotiated. We’re not just talking about an unfair deal, we’re talking about no deal at all. Four cents from the sale of a DVD (the standing WGA deal) sounds exactly as paltry as it is, but in a decade DVD may have gone the way of the eight-track. We have to protect the rights of the people who tell the stories, however they’re told. I’m never gonna be as articulate as Shawn or Brian (both of whom have been linked here, I believe), but I am just as committed. And a lot phlegmier.

I don’t think of the studio heads as a bunch of grinning tycoons sitting in a smoke-filled club and drumming their fingers like Montgomery Burns. I know some of those guys. I think they’re worried about the future as much as anyone. But they are beholden to their corporations, and that inevitably causes entrenchment and shortsightedness. They can’t afford that. This is an era of change, and for the giant conglomo-tainment empires, it will either be the Renaissance or the Ice Age. Because we will not stand down. Writers can be replaced, as we are constantly reminded. But so can companies. Power is on the move, and though in this town it’s been hoarded by very few, there are other companies with newer ideas about how to make money off of – or possibly, wonderfully, with – the story-tellers. Personally, I like things almost the way they are. I truly hope the executives negotiating for the AMPTP make the few simple concessions that will allow us to work with them again. I want to work. I have this idea, for a show about a girl… I even have the actress for it. And if we strike effectively, maybe she won’t have to.

I honestly started this post because of Aly and Alexis and their candy bars. But… well… there’s a lot going on. Huge props to the pizza people. Your support during this strike means more than I can express. (Note to self: picket near Jane.) I hope it won’t be long. I watched my Father strike, back in ’88. It was hard. But I was proud. I’m proud now.

Sincerely, -joss. joss (http://whedonesque.com/user/13) | November 06, 03:40 CET (http://whedonesque.com/comments/14639#195462)

Oreo
November 6th, 2007, 10:04 AM
How many times do you need to double and triple post? [mod snip] that there is an "EDIT" button?

Don't answer that, I already know the answer.

DigiFluid
November 6th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Damn, chill out a little.

Dumper
November 6th, 2007, 11:11 AM
How many times do you need to double and triple post? Are you too dumb to read that there is an "EDIT" button?

Hmmm, another post where you call people names. You really do seem to be making a habit of being unneccasarily rude towards people, maybe you should go on an 'improve your manners' course before posting again.

Madeleine
November 6th, 2007, 11:44 AM
How many times do you need to double and triple post? [mod snip] there is an "EDIT" button?

The answer is that it's as many times as there's new info. As long as it's legitimate info, I (as a poster) would rather it was in new posts so that I don't have to go back and check existing posts for edits. I'm reeling at the idea that anyone (except perhaps you) would check back through a thread we've already read looking for edits.

Anyway, on topic, YAY for Joss, he sounds perky and the show... well, it's a Whedon show so I'm stoked at the prospect :D

DigiFluid
November 6th, 2007, 03:51 PM
LOL awesome, I got a negative rep point out of him for telling him to chill a little. I love people.

Trek_Girl42
November 7th, 2007, 12:20 AM
More details on Dollhouse (I can't get enough of saying that title :eek: still can't believe this is actually (might be, eventually!) happening!) from ask ausiello (http://www.tvguide.com/ask-ausiello)

Question: I am beyond thrilled about the new Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku (http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Eliza-Dushku-Lures/800026169) project! You should get a bonus for that kind of scoop. — Beth
Ausiello: I couldn't agree with you more. And I haven't even told you yet what Joss told me about Eliza's leading man. Yep, a male character will be involved with her Echo alter ego, but, Whedon noted, "not in a buddy way. Their relationship will take some time to come together and will be constantly evolving." If you're thinking Buffy and Angel, Part Deux, think again. "Echo is not capable of having a true love," he insists, since she becomes someone new, body and soul, every week. On the other hand, he contradicts, because of that, in a way, "She'll have a true love every week. It's part of her plight that when she feels something strongly, it gets taken away from her. And the person she's closest to in the show, her relationship with him will not in any way be simple. Nobody in this piece comes away clean." Man, I'm confused already — and I love it!

Sweet. Just like Joss to make everything all twisted. :D

Also, His Purpleness (http://whedonesque.com/comments/14650) has written another lengthy post for Whedonesque on the writer's strike, for anyone who is following the issue.

Wraith_Boy
November 7th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Like Angel but not really keen on Buffy. However the premise of this show sounds like 'Mr & Mrs Smith' meets 'The Bionic Woman'. Something I would expect to air on Sci-Fi alongside PJK & 'Flash Gordon'.

Would be cooler imo if he done a follow up to Firefly or Serenity! I'd like to see a new season of Angel but with DB being on Bones. Then I don't think that likely anytime soon anyhow.

Will give it a chance but don't think this will get any further than the original 7 eps.

Dumper
November 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM
LOL awesome, I got a negative rep point out of him for telling him to chill a little. I love people.

Lol, he did the same to me.:(

Willow'sCat
November 7th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Well if it is Joss it is worth more then a look-see. Maybe this will make up for the Wonder Women thing... although I am not sure about Eliza in the lead. Really? Hasn't she had enough chances as the lead to know she is not lead material? Then again if anyone can write for her as a lead, Joss can. ;)

Shep'sSocks
November 8th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Not fond of Eliza Dushku in anything I've seen her in but this is Joss so will watch if ever it makes it to Aus.

Trek_Girl42
February 11th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Sounds like things are back on track with the strike ending, a few words (http://io9.com/354790/joss-whedon-wants-to-dance) from Joss:

<snip>
What about Dollhouse will draw in your Buffy and Firefly fans?
Well, Eliza (Dushku). Duh. It's very different than the stuff I've done before, but at the same time it's still a very hardcore examination of the human condition. It really sort of boils it down to who are we, how are we programmed, what do we need, what is okay about us, and what is really not okay. It's the most morally gray thing I've ever done. I think it might actually anger a lot of my fans, but there are questions I still have to ask. Ultimately I think it will intrigue them because that.
We keep hearing that the strike will be over soon. How has it affected Dollhouse? Have you actually written any of it yet?
I had just pitched the seven episodes for the show, I hadn't written anything. I did not even so much as look at them during the strike, and will not until the strike is over. The day the strike is over, I will start working, so whatever we plan to do will certainly be pushed back by exactly as many months as the strike was... or still is.
<snip>

Joss exploring the morally grey? Who knew! :P

jesserella
February 11th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I've pretty much loved everything Joss has done, i can't wait to see this :D

Gandom
February 12th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I'll give it a shot because I've been a fan of everything Joss has done so far.

poundpuppy29
February 12th, 2008, 03:57 PM
This show sounds intriging. I loved Firefly and Serenity but never watched Buffy or Angel I don't like vampires at all won't watch them.

Cynycal
February 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I already can anticipate what is going to happen. He will hype this show up as the most exciting hour of television, then it will air, people fall asleep, then cancel. Afterwards some groupies will start a campaign to bring the show back on, they make a movie that bombs. Funny how life repeats itself.

Just reading the premise of the show is enough to know I will not watch. "imprinted with different personalities depending on the assignment"..sorry folks, but this sounds more like a Monty Python sketch.

you forgot to add that it will do well in dvd sales, but seriously... Firefly was pretty awesome, and I enjoyed buffy enough to choke through some of it, Angel for whatever reason was much better I thought...wouldn't call myself a fan of either though, Firefly probably would have been pretty sweet if it had actually gone on for a couple seasons

philstar22
February 18th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I am so excited about this. I've only recently gotten into Whedon's shows. I was a huge Firefly fan since Serenity came out, but I hadn't watched his other stuff. I only just finished Buffy season 7 today, and I've only seen Angel season 1. I'm very obsessed with Buffy right now, though. I love it so much. Angel is pretty cool too, though I don't like it as much.

I just think he's such an amazing writer. He makes interesting characters and plots. I can't wait to see what he does with this. I hope Fox doesn't screw him over again.

Trek_Girl42
February 18th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I am so excited about this. I've only recently gotten into Whedon's shows. I was a huge Firefly fan since Serenity came out, but I hadn't watched his other stuff. I only just finished Buffy season 7 today, and I've only seen Angel season 1. I'm very obsessed with Buffy right now, though. I love it so much. Angel is pretty cool too, though I don't like it as much.

I just think he's such an amazing writer. He makes interesting characters and plots. I can't wait to see what he does with this. I hope Fox doesn't screw him over again.I was a late convert to Buffy as well- I finished season seven just under a year ago- a week before the first issue of the season eight comics came out (how's that for good timing? :P). If you haven't read the comics, they're excellent, very in the spirit of the show, all they're missing is the wonderful actors.

bliv
February 19th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I'm also very exciting about this show. Whedon is a true master at conveying everyday themes and ideas into larger than life characters on the screen. He usually manages to do so in a way that draws in both the audience that understands the meaning behind his stories as well as the casual audience that just wants something entertaining and easy to watch.

I just hope he is given plenty of time to lay the foundations for the show before being judged this time.

Trek_Girl42
February 19th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I'm also very exciting about this show. Whedon is a true master at conveying everyday themes and ideas into larger than life characters on the screen. He usually manages to do so in a way that draws in both the audience that understands the meaning behind his stories as well as the casual audience that just wants something entertaining and easy to watch.
Hehe, yup. And he's real funny. :cool:

bliv
February 19th, 2008, 12:56 PM
That is my one concern with Whedon. Everything he has done has had a funny side to it. Angel was dark and very much a more adult take on the Buffyverse but it still had plenty of humour. In my opinion Angel actually got less interesting when it became less funny and more serious during the latter stages of series 3 all the way through to the end of season 4.

That could also have been down to the fact that the story seemed to run on from episode to episode in a neverending arc of rather unbelievable events that suffered from not being broken down by 'monster of the week' style shows that changed the pace of things.

I hope Dollhouse gets the start it deserves.

Chrisisall
February 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM
If it's Joss, I'm there.

Fanisall

Trek_Girl42
February 27th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Joss has assembled the first two members of the Dollhouse writing staff! Sarah Fain and Liz Craft (http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2008/02/murder-club-cre.html)!

Trek_Girl42
February 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Dollhouse characters revealed (http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Ausiello-Scoop-Help/800034438?rssDate=12345678)! And Ausiello makes a few fun actor suggestions.

Character list under the tags
ADELLE DEWITT
The fortyish iceberg who runs the Dollhouse where the human Etch-a-Sketches reside
• If the part is cast from within the Buffyverse: Juliet Landau (http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/juliet-landau/159411), so creepily heartbreaking as ubervamp Drusilla. They don't come any cooler, or hotter, than her.
• If the part is cast from outside the Buffyverse: Shohreh Aghdashloo (http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/shohreh-aghdashloo/174667). The onetime 24 Mommie Dearest is the scariest thing we've ever seen that didn't have fangs.

PAUL BALLARD
The thirtysomething G-man who is slated to become an offbeat love interest for Dushku's "impressionable" Echo
• If the part is cast from within the Buffyverse: J. August Richards (http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/j-august-richards/190056), whose long run as Angel's sidekick, Gunn, only hinted at the dark side we have zero doubt he would bring to this conflicted character.
• If the part is cast from outside the Buffyverse: Hands down, Ben Browder (http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/ben-browder/141470). The Stargate SG-1 heartthrob has proven a million times over — or at least in every single episode of Farscape — that he was born to speak Whedon's zippy dialogue.

BOYD LANGTON
Echo's handler and father figure
• If the part is cast from within the Buffyverse: Duh. With its Watcher overtones, Boyd is a character tailor-made for Anthony Stewart Head (http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/anthony-s-head/217208), aka Buffy's surrogate dad, Giles.
• If the part is cast from outside the Buffyverse: Mitch Pileggi (http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/mitch-pileggi/166978), who brought unexpected heart to what could have been the one-note role of The X-Files' gruff taskmaster, Skinner.

TOPHER BRINK
The technogeek who enjoys his job as a Doll programmer maybe a little too much
• If the part is cast from within the Buffyverse: Tom Lenk (http://www.tvguide.com/detail/celebrity.aspx?tvobjectid=274918), who made such an indelible impression as Andrew, the amoral, ambiguously gay member of the Trio, Buffy's dorky "archnemeses."
• If the part is cast from outside the Buffyverse: Jason Yachanin (http://imdb.com/name/nm1966818/), the adorkable Troma action hero who deserves so much better than Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead. (Hey, don't judge him based on his résumé!)

SIERRA
The knockout Doll who is as close to a friend as Echo has
• If the part is cast from within the Buffyverse: Bianca Lawson (http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/bianca-lawson/141912), if only so we can finally see alterna-Slayer Kendra play a part without the Jar Jar Binks patois.
• If the part is cast from outside the Buffyverse: Die Hard 4 butt-kicker Maggie Q (http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/maggie-q/285635). Too bad, what with her busy film career and all, she's probably gonna be a little too busy for the gig.

VICTOR
The distractingly handsome Doll who is called upon to play everyone from Errol Flynn to Robert DeNiro
• If the part is cast from within the Buffyverse: Charlie Weber (http://www.tvguide.com/detail/celebrity.aspx?tvobjectid=226955), who had the thankless role of bubbleheaded goddess Glory's male alter ego, Ben, during Season 5 of Buffy.
• If the part is cast from outside the Buffyverse: Matthew Bomer (http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/matthew-bomer/256728). The Tru Calling/Traveler alum is as versatile as he is pretty.

NOVEMBER
The Tracy Turnblad of the Dolls
• If the part is cast from within the Buffyverse: How about giving a second chance to Riff Regan (http://www.tvguide.com/detail/celebrity.aspx?tvobjectid=266076), the plus-sized actress who played Willow in the Buffy pilot?
• If the part is cast from outside the Buffyverse: Well, we did describe the character as the show's resident Tracy Turnblad, so who better than that Hairspray hoofer's portrayer, Nikki Blonsky (http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/nikki-blonsky/289364)?

DR. CLAIRE SANDERS
The beautiful older woman with whom Topher is smitten
• If the part is cast from within the Buffyverse: Angel and Firefly's Gina Torres (http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/gina-torres/152147), who is as adept at throwing a punch as she is at landing a punch line.
• If the part is cast from outside the Buffyverse: Try Battlestar Galactica's sublime Michelle Forbes (http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/michelle-forbes/166498). She seems so like Whedon's kind of actress, it's a wonder they haven't collaborated before.
I'd love to see Ben Browder and Michelle Forbes on a Joss show, also, as has been mentioned by a lot of fans, I'd like to see Caroline Dahvernas or Michael Muhney make an appearance.

But really the thing I look forward to the most is seeing what completely unheardofs Joss finds. :D

bliv
March 2nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
As many 'unknowns' as possible would be the way to go for me. Try to build the show around one or two stars and then make stars out of everyone else. It's always refreshing to see lesser known actors coming in and taking on regular roles as it means I'm not comparing them to their parts on previous shows.

Whatever way he goes, it WILL be good.

Killdeer
March 26th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Four characters have been cast for Dollhouse, including one better known Sci-Fi name.
http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Ausiello-Scoop-Whedons/800036353

Whedon has tapped Galactica stud Tahmoh Penikett (aka Helo) to play Eliza Dushku's "twisted romantic foil" in Dollhouse, a spokesperson for Twentieth Television confirms....Penikett's character, Paul Smith (originally named Paul Ballard), is described as an FBI agent who becomes obsessed with both the urban myth that is Dollhouse and its most recognizable inhabitant, Echo (Dushku).

Ripple in Space
March 26th, 2008, 08:25 PM
That is my one concern with Whedon. Everything he has done has had a funny side to it. Angel was dark and very much a more adult take on the Buffyverse but it still had plenty of humour. In my opinion Angel actually got less interesting when it became less funny and more serious during the latter stages of series 3 all the way through to the end of season 4.

That could also have been down to the fact that the story seemed to run on from episode to episode in a neverending arc of rather unbelievable events that suffered from not being broken down by 'monster of the week' style shows that changed the pace of things.

I hope Dollhouse gets the start it deserves.

I felt Angel went downhill from Doyle's death onward... It's still my favorite show though. A poor Angel episode is still better than a great episode of many other shows. I also preferred the original format of S1-- Monster of the week/lots of humor/Angel as a Superhero.

bliv
March 26th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I felt Angel went downhill from Doyle's death onward... It's still my favorite show though. A poor Angel episode is still better than a great episode of many other shows. I also preferred the original format of S1-- Monster of the week/lots of humor/Angel as a Superhero.

The 'Monster of the Week' thing is great, hell the X-Files made a massive success out of it. The problem with the Angel as a superhero storyline was that it didn't really have the legs to go a long distance. They had to put all the Shanshu prophecies on ice and work on conveying other themes and messages. I also felt that things got a bit too serious around about season 3 and they forced themselves through 2 years worth of stories that were almost unwatchable at times. As soon as they tried to do anything with the Cordelia character they lost the funny edge and things went south. Always believed that season 5 was pretty impressive despite the obvious fact they had to cram in the ending within 6 episodes. Spike brings back a lot of the humour that was missing and gives Angel someone to play off. It also allowed for less main story driven episodes and more weekly fun.

I'm not sure how he'll translate this to Dollhouse. Obviously the first couple of shows will be trying to get people to understand the concept and what is going on in general. Whether he'll go the same way as he did with Buffy and try an episode of the week type show very early on or not might be pivotal depending on how strong the main arc is.

Trek_Girl42
March 26th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Well, I'm bouncing of the walls after hearing this casting news. One of my favourite actors from one of my favourite shows moves to the Whedonverse! :D :D :D

Edit: Fran Kranz is very cute. :D Anyone seen any pics of Enver Gojkaj? IMDB doesn't have any yet.....

And wow, is it going to take getting used to these names. So far I don't think a cast has ever had so many unique names and there are still four more characters to be announced. :P

MmmmMcKAy
March 27th, 2008, 04:53 AM
The concept of Dollhouse sounds an awful lot like "The Pretender" from the late 1990's...except the pretender was a man, kidnapped, raised and trained by the evil "centre" to be a pretender, someone who could become anything or anyone he wanted or needed to become. He escapes and searches for his identity, all the while being pursued by the centre.
Good show.

Ripple in Space
March 27th, 2008, 11:48 PM
The 'Monster of the Week' thing is great, hell the X-Files made a massive success out of it. The problem with the Angel as a superhero storyline was that it didn't really have the legs to go a long distance. They had to put all the Shanshu prophecies on ice and work on conveying other themes and messages. I also felt that things got a bit too serious around about season 3 and they forced themselves through 2 years worth of stories that were almost unwatchable at times. As soon as they tried to do anything with the Cordelia character they lost the funny edge and things went south. Always believed that season 5 was pretty impressive despite the obvious fact they had to cram in the ending within 6 episodes. Spike brings back a lot of the humour that was missing and gives Angel someone to play off. It also allowed for less main story driven episodes and more weekly fun.

I'm not sure how he'll translate this to Dollhouse. Obviously the first couple of shows will be trying to get people to understand the concept and what is going on in general. Whether he'll go the same way as he did with Buffy and try an episode of the week type show very early on or not might be pivotal depending on how strong the main arc is.

I'm not sure if you're following the Angel Season 6 and Buffy Season 8 comic books that Joss is writing, but the Buffy one has made me lose some faith in Joss. He turned Buffy bisexual, which I (and several comic experts interviewed by big news organizations like ABC & the NY Times) see as a ratings ploy.

I also didn't care much for Firefly, so Dollhouse could go either way. I think Eliza's a fine actress, I don't know what all the criticism's about, but in Buffy she did a good job. Overall, I found Buffyverse actors to be very good for TV actors. Alyson, Alexis and Seth especially since all 3 seem to be able to pull off comedy and heavy drama seamlessly.

bliv
March 28th, 2008, 03:16 AM
I'm not sure if you're following the Angel Season 6 and Buffy Season 8 comic books that Joss is writing, but the Buffy one has made me lose some faith in Joss. He turned Buffy bisexual, which I (and several comic experts interviewed by big news organizations like ABC & the NY Times) see as a ratings ploy.

I also didn't care much for Firefly, so Dollhouse could go either way. I think Eliza's a fine actress, I don't know what all the criticism's about, but in Buffy she did a good job. Overall, I found Buffyverse actors to be very good for TV actors. Alyson, Alexis and Seth especially since all 3 seem to be able to pull off comedy and heavy drama seamlessly.

Not looked at the comic books at all to be honest. My feeling with Whedon in relation to graphic novels is that he sees that he can do things that you just can't do on TV and therefore he insists on exploiting that. Buffy and Angel had a certain amount of realism in that both shows had a strong grounding factor with everyday things such as being set on earth in the current day. It was noteable in his TV shows that when he ventured off to other realities (Angel season 2 and 4) that the quality of the show really suffered. With the comics he seems to take that license to limit his creativity to his own imagination and use it to go way over the top when it is unnecessary. I'm still a big fan of his work but I'm not willing to follow him with the comics.

Firefly was very different. It went away from the earth setting that had worked for both Buffy and Angel. For a lot of viewers, that is often a step too far. Spaceships, empires, savages, cowboys and humour. It takes a while to bring it all together and I admit to having to watch it through twice to really get hold of what he was trying to do. In essence the themes and meaning from Buffy and Angel are carried over quite nicely. The initial run just wasn't long enough to lay the groundworks for familirising everyone with the chracters. He tried to do it one episode, going through how everyone joined the crew, but it was a rather lame attempt at sticking everything together in one go. I think given more time it would have been something spread out over several character centric episodes.

Dollhouse probably could swing either way. The characters having transplantable personalities may be a fantastic idea but also the downfall of the whole thing depending on how it works. I'm curious as to whether there are going to be a defined number of personalities for each character or if Joss is just going to introduce them when the situation requires them. The former method would make it a lot easier to connect the characters with the viewer. The latter seems messy.

Ripple in Space
March 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Not looked at the comic books at all to be honest. My feeling with Whedon in relation to graphic novels is that he sees that he can do things that you just can't do on TV and therefore he insists on exploiting that. Buffy and Angel had a certain amount of realism in that both shows had a strong grounding factor with everyday things such as being set on earth in the current day. It was noteable in his TV shows that when he ventured off to other realities (Angel season 2 and 4) that the quality of the show really suffered. With the comics he seems to take that license to limit his creativity to his own imagination and use it to go way over the top when it is unnecessary. I'm still a big fan of his work but I'm not willing to follow him with the comics.

Firefly was very different. It went away from the earth setting that had worked for both Buffy and Angel. For a lot of viewers, that is often a step too far. Spaceships, empires, savages, cowboys and humour. It takes a while to bring it all together and I admit to having to watch it through twice to really get hold of what he was trying to do. In essence the themes and meaning from Buffy and Angel are carried over quite nicely. The initial run just wasn't long enough to lay the groundworks for familirising everyone with the chracters. He tried to do it one episode, going through how everyone joined the crew, but it was a rather lame attempt at sticking everything together in one go. I think given more time it would have been something spread out over several character centric episodes.

Dollhouse probably could swing either way. The characters having transplantable personalities may be a fantastic idea but also the downfall of the whole thing depending on how it works. I'm curious as to whether there are going to be a defined number of personalities for each character or if Joss is just going to introduce them when the situation requires them. The former method would make it a lot easier to connect the characters with the viewer. The latter seems messy.

Wow, you really described my feelings (and probably the overall truth) perfectly. I agree 100%!

MrsB108
March 31st, 2008, 04:20 PM
Latest scoop:

"Here's a ton of leaked spoilers/rumors about Joss Whedon's new show Dollhouse, starring Eliza Dushku: The Dollhouse, home of the amnesiac "dolls" who can be anyone or anything, is in Los Angeles. There are two types of "dolls," Actives and Inactives.

Dushku's character, Echo, is an Inactive.In one scene, Adelle, the "ice queen" who runs the Dollhouse, meets with a Senator who's considering "buying" an Active doll to use as an "escort." She convinces the Senator the Active will be better than any human escort, because the emotions will be real to the "doll" and she'll be programmed to want it as much as he does.The geek who programs the dolls, Topher, calls Echo's "handler" Boyd, because he's noticed that a group of the mind-wiped dolls has sat together at lunch at the same table for the third time within a week.

Dushku's character, Echo, seems to be initiating this clique, which means she may be evolving beyond her mind wipes. There is definitely something unusual about Echo, compared to the other "dolls." If Adelle the boss finds out, she'll have Echo killed.Topher the geek and Boyd the handler have differing opinions about their work. Topher believes it's purely programming and sort of morally wrong (even though he enjoys doing it.) But Boyd thinks it's healthy for the "dolls" to get to experience every possible human emotion through their programmed personalities."

Source: io9

Trek_Girl42
April 3rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
More casting news! Adele is being played by British actress Olivia Williams which is excellent- she recently portrayed Jane Austin in "Miss Austin Regrets", she was Bruce Willis's wife in "The Sixth Sense", and Jane Fairfax in an adaption of "Emma" that recently re-aired on Masterpiece theater.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Fresh-Casting-News/800036841

Naonak
April 16th, 2008, 04:23 AM
E!Online's Kristin has gotten a sneak peek (http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/detail/index.jsp?uuid=8d4f2a63-0a18-4024-8e80-248e53ed83cd) at the first episode.
Slightly spoilery, particularly the answer to the question "What's the twist?" (duh...)

MmmmMcKAy
April 16th, 2008, 04:16 PM
The sneak peak sounds intriguing.:) I'll certainly give the show a try.

Are they premiering the show this spring or are they waiting until fall?

Naonak
April 16th, 2008, 04:24 PM
The sneak peak sounds intriguing.:) I'll certainly give the show a try.

Are they premiering the show this spring or are they waiting until fall?
I think they're going for a Fall/early Winter premiere. It's definitely not gonna be Spring - they've not even finished casting yet.

Trek_Girl42
April 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM
E!Online's Kristin has gotten a sneak peek (http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/detail/index.jsp?uuid=8d4f2a63-0a18-4024-8e80-248e53ed83cd) at the first episode.
Slightly spoilery, particularly the answer to the question "What's the twist?" (duh...)Not even tempted to click. :D

Granted, between now and the fall the spoilers will probably become rampant....but one can always try. :P

Trek_Girl42
April 17th, 2008, 08:39 AM
The cast has been rounded out!

Harry Lennix (24, The Matrix Sequels, House.....and Barak Obama look-alike) will be playing Boyd.

Amy Acker (who's that?!?!?!) will be playing Dr. Claire Saunders. (recurring role)

Miracle Laurie (her imdb is.....empy- yay for Joss discoveries!) will be playing November. (recurring role- won't be in pilot)

MmmmMcKAy
April 17th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Yay for Amy Acker, another Joss alum. She played Fred and Illyria on Angel.

Bey0nd
April 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM
LOL, I also thought Joss vowed never to return to Fox
what a hypocrite

bliv
April 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM
what a hypocrite

He doesn't have much choice does he? Fox are the only big network that will air his style of his show.

Ripple in Space
April 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM
He doesn't have much choice does he? Fox are the only big network that will air his style of his show.

CW would.

Then Cable Networks like SpikeTV, G4, TNT, USA or FX might give it a shot.

Naonak
April 22nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
There's a short Q+A with Liz Craft and Sarah Fain (producers) over at www.dollhousetvforum.com (http://www.dollhousetvforum.com/showthread.php?t=242). :)

A few snippets:

Joss starts shooting the pilot on April 23rd, and there's a promo shoot coming up a few days later, so there should be stuff to see in the not-too-distant future.
---
...every week we'll be telling a story with a beginning, middle, and end, but every week we'll also be weaving in the serialized elements of the Big Story.
---
There are definitely dark themes. The stories will definitely be deep. And there will definitely be some funny.

What Will Set Dollhouse apart from other whedon-verse shows?
It's going to be boring and badly written. No, no, no. The main difference is probably that Dollhouse is set in the real world. There are no demons, no spaceships. It's today, only with some pretty scary technology. It's not about super-humans, it's about how frighteningly human we all are.

BackStageJim
April 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Read somewhere that this is a Joss 'Buffy' Weiden (sp) project filming in/around VYR?
Some BSG actors are noted to be attached for eps.

Any links for more details

Trek_Girl42
April 25th, 2008, 02:51 PM
The Dollhouse (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=48332) Thread.

The search function is your friend. ;)

MrsB108
April 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Small spoiler bit from E!Online's Kristen:

Peter in Cardiff, Wales: What's this scoop about a Dollhouse location shoot that you buried in the Lost Redux?
Oh, what? That? You guys don't care about Dollhouse, do you? Hee. Late last week, there was a two-day-long shoot at a Spanish Mission Revival-style duplex in L.A.'s Miracle Mile area—mostly night shots, I believe—and if I had to bet money, I'd say it was serving as Paul's (Tahmoh Penikett) apartment, where Echo and Paul have their meet-cute/meet-complicated and their very first fight scene. Awww...

Ripple in Space
April 29th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I just heard about a show called The Pretender that sounds a lot like this.

Madeleine
April 29th, 2008, 05:26 AM
what a hypocrite

Hypocrite = holding others to a higher standard than the one you hold yourself to. Nothing Joss has done here qualifies as hypocrisy.

Changing your mind; circumstances changing; these are things that happen to everyone. I imagine, Bey0nd that you've changed your own mind at some stage in your life. In which case, you wouldn't expect Joss to be held to a different standard than you, right? ;)

Trek_Girl42
April 29th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Hypocrite = holding others to a higher standard than the one you hold yourself to. Nothing Joss has done here qualifies as hypocrisy.

Changing your mind; circumstances changing; these are things that happen to everyone. I imagine, Bey0nd that you've changed your own mind at some stage in your life. In which case, you wouldn't expect Joss to be held to a different standard than you, right? ;)
Not to mention that fact that while the company is the same, the regime is different, it's all different people there from the time of Firefly. Would Joss go to work for those people who mistreated Firefly? Probably not. :P But he clearly has no problem going back to Fox with it now under different management.

Trek_Girl42
May 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Dollhouse will be airing as a lead in for 24 in January 2009, and here (http://uk.tv.ign.com/dor/objects/14215797/dollhouse/images/dollhouse-20080515092854571.html?page=m) are the first promo photos!
The Dollhouse looks fantasticI love the whole zenness to it- disturbing considering what it really is.And it's weird seeing Tahmoh in a suit. :P

Trek_Girl42
May 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Trailer (http://www.dollverse.com/trailer/)! But it's playing very slow and choppy for most people.....STILL can't manage to see it properly. (sounds like it's working better for mac users)

Bright side the audio sounds very intriguing. :P

poundpuppy29
May 15th, 2008, 01:09 PM
looks interesting Thanks TrekGirl

Trek_Girl42
May 15th, 2008, 01:51 PM
It's youtubed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TO08OxDH_s)! :D *goes to watch again*

Edit: Also in a very surprising move (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ibcf6d45fc7a036df6bfa2e8d6fa199d3), all episodes will run at about 50 minutes instead of 40-42. Fox is cutting the number of commercials in half. It's a little confusing what this means, but it sounds like the number of "national" commercials will be cut down to five minutes from ten, and the other five minutes will remain local commercials and promotions for other shows (of course who knows what this means in terms of product placement- we can only wait and see). Also Dollhouse has been referred to as the future "tentpole" show for Fox by Kevin Reilly. If all this isn't a vote of confidence, I don't know what is. :D

This just gets better and better..... :D

MmmmMcKAy
May 15th, 2008, 04:19 PM
That trailer is pretty cool. :) I have high hopes for the show......hopefully it won't disappoint.

Trek_Girl42
May 15th, 2008, 04:54 PM
That trailer is pretty cool. :) I have high hopes for the show......hopefully it won't disappoint.Me too.....I'm going into so much fangirl overload today I'm not getting any work done. :o

Because now Fox has released a scene (http://seat42f.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2369&Itemid=9) with both Tahmoh and Eliza! :D

ShadowMaat
May 15th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Wow, the trailer you linked to is already gone. Had to find another one on Youtube. Liked the clip, too. I'll definitely be tuning in for this one, and not just 'cos of Tahmoh. ...Well, mostly because of him, but the concept sounds fun, too. :D

Trek_Girl42
May 15th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Wow, the trailer you linked to is already gone. Had to find another one on Youtube. Liked the clip, too. I'll definitely be tuning in for this one, and not just 'cos of Tahmoh. ...Well, mostly because of him, but the concept sounds fun, too. :DYeah.....I don't get that. It's a commercial. A promotion of their show. I don't get the thinking by removing it- isn't the point to get as many people as possible to watch it? Going through "official channels" doesn't always work, network websites are slow and picky on your location, etc. Ah well. :rolleyes: A couple of great lines in that clip (wonder how long it'll stay up)- really looking forward to all the new whedony dialogue goodness. :D

Edit: while apparently the youtube links aren't sanctioned by Fox, the distribution of this mp4 (http://www.dreamusher.com/files/DOLL_Who_v6.mp4) file is, so anyone who missed it on youtube and wants to see it just needs to "save as" (and have quicktime installed).

Trek_Girl42
May 17th, 2008, 06:16 PM
New version of the trailer (http://www.dollverse.com/trailer/)! They've fixed up the fonts, gotten rid of the shot of Buffy, added a new (probably still temporary) title card, and also added a few new clips.

Trek_Girl42
May 26th, 2008, 01:55 PM
This (http://www.fox.com/futurefox/blogs/index.php/2008/05/25/that-gorram-fox/) almost kinda makes me love Fox, or whoever at Fox wrote it anyway. :weiranime20::P

Pic
May 30th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I searched and didn't see a thread for this yet, so I thought I'd start one. Mods, please merge or whatever if inappropriate.

From their site, they explain the concept of the new upcoming series as follows:
"Dollhouse is a suspense drama about a girl who can have any personality except her own." So it's part Alias and part Quantum Leap, "because Echo is literally changing who she is," he continues. "She gets into people's lives a little bit." Even Dushku's. "I relate so much to this character," she marvels. "Echo is essentially the story of my life. I've lived a crazy life the past 16 years, traveling around the world and then tripping and falling into this business. Everyone wants you to transform and be a different person every week."
Here's an awesome trailer:

http://www.dollverse.com/trailer/

Trek_Girl42
May 30th, 2008, 08:44 AM
We've got a thread, it should be on page two-ish. :) And there's also a "Whedon fans" social group, for discussing. Though it has been rather neglected. :P

Pic
May 30th, 2008, 12:24 PM
The Dollhouse (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=48332) Thread.

The search function is your friend. ;)

Here it is!! :o
(Um, the search function didn't bring up Dollhouse earlier today... I admit to user-error now and then, but I tried twice -OK, it's Friday -- finally found it hanging out on page 5)

Page 5!!!!

Wiped memories, manipulation, psychological imprinting, hired assassins, illegal ops, rogue baddies, ass-kicking women and explosions.

Helo. I mean Tahmoh. ;)

Joss.

Come on!

OK, it doesn't premier until the fall. I'll calm down now...

Pic
May 30th, 2008, 12:26 PM
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=48332

duh, me.

;)

Trek_Girl42
May 30th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Here it is!! :o
(Um, the search function didn't bring up Dollhouse earlier today... I admit to user-error now and then, but I tried twice -OK, it's Friday -- finally found it hanging out on page 5)

Page 5!!!!

Wiped memories, manipulation, psychological imprinting, hired assassins, illegal ops, rogue baddies, ass-kicking women and explosions.

Helo. I mean Tahmoh. ;)

Joss.

Come on!

OK, it doesn't premier until the fall. I'll calm down now...
The search function is frakked.....it's easier to go into the forum index to see if a thread has been created. :)

Joss + Eliza Dushku + Tahmoh Penikett = sci-fi greatness. :D

Not to mention the morally grey. Morally grey is the new black.

And actually, hate to bear bad news, but it's not premiering until January where it will air on Mondays at 8 as a lead in to 24.

Legionnaire
May 31st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Yay, I am glad to see Tahmoh hooking up with Joss and such an interesting project. I will be looking forward to the show and heres to hoping the Fox experience is improved the second time around.

MrsB108
June 4th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Dollhouse Spoilers:http://www.pinkraygun.com/2008/06/03/dollhouse-qa-spoiler-alert/

Amaranth Traces
June 7th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Ni hao, everyone! I'm slowly venturing out into more areas of the GateWorld forums. I'm poking my head in here to drop off some banners that I made today (while I should have been working). They're made with images that have been released and caps/quotes I took from the trailer.

I dropped them off at the Whedon Fans group already, but this is probably a better/more appropriate place for them.

Hope you don't mind!

(In spoiler tags to save space)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb108/AmaranthTraces/Dollhousebanner-whoyouwant.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb108/AmaranthTraces/Dollhousebanner-price.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb108/AmaranthTraces/Dollhousebanner-nobody.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb108/AmaranthTraces/Dollhousebanner-whowillibe.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb108/AmaranthTraces/Dollhousebanner-memorysoul.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb108/AmaranthTraces/Dollhousebanner-truesoul.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb108/AmaranthTraces/Dollhousebanner-actives.jpg

Pic
June 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Very nice!
I'm looking forward to this show and am crossing my fingers that Fox does right by Whedon this time.

Admiral Mappalazarou
June 8th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Helo's in it?

Rock on. :cameron:

Bey0nd
June 8th, 2008, 01:18 PM

The only circumstances that changed was Joss got a new paycheck in the mail.
I was never the one who started dissing Fox, it was started by other news agencies that knocked the Fox company
and Fox punching came from producers/writers like Joss who started knocking Fox.

but I tend to agree with some of what they say, some the major studios do suck. They are a bunch ruthless wolves and Fox can be singled out for its ruthlessness and the individual mistakes like cancellation of FamilyGuy, Drive, Firefly and BackToYou and they also own that stupid news station where chickenhawk O'Reilly from Foxnews claims to have served in a war zone, calls people traitors and has some jibe every week at non-whites. I do think some of the mega-studios and mega-corporations have been going to far. However I don't boycott Fox but I do tend to avoid the big hyped up movies from the mega studios like AliensVsPredator, Fantasic4, SpeedRacer, King Kong, DieHard4 etc
and it has helped me check out some great independent movies from people in California and NewYork or see some unique foreign films from Japan, Europe and China. Part of the reason I think MGM stumbled with Stargate is that the studio was not as ruthless as others like Fox studios.

I'm not carrying some high all-mighty attitude, if there's a Fox movie I hear about I like then I'm going to check it out
I got to download Terminator from yahoo for free and I enjoyed it so much I might even buy the DVD
However don't expect me to follow Joss down some road we've all been down before, and from what I've seen the management at the top has changed very little over the years. If he comes back crying to the Dollhouse fans "oh Fox sucks they canceled my show" then I'll say "it serves you right Joss you should have known better"

Again it was not me that started this Fox bashing
but people like Joss Whedon

Madeleine
June 9th, 2008, 12:44 AM
The only circumstances that changed was Joss got a new paycheck in the mail.

I think you're probably just guessing at that, since I think it unlikely that you've a great deal of inside knowledge about the set-up at Fox, or of confidential discussions between Fox and Joss.

Again it was not me that started this Fox bashing
but people like Joss Whedon

True, true, you only started the needless and somewhat muisguided Joss-bashing. But do us a favour and drop it, eh? He's fair game if you want to criticise his skill as a writer, director or showrunner, but calling people hypocrites for working for a company that once treated them poorly is rather personal (not to mention a bit of a stretch) so please bear in mind GW's 'no personal insults' rule and drop it.

Ta very much.

Pic
June 9th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hmmm... interjecting positivity and discussion on the show...
Has anyone read this review written by someone who's seen a preview of the first episode?
What do you all think?
http://www.dollverse.com/index.php/News/Latest/Echo-episode-one-preview.html

How do you get chosen as one of these preview-people anyway?

Trek_Girl42
June 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Hmmm... interjecting positivity and discussion on the show...
Has anyone read this review written by someone who's seen a preview of the first episode?
What do you all think?
http://www.dollverse.com/index.php/News/Latest/Echo-episode-one-preview.html

How do you get chosen as one of these preview-people anyway?Start a fansite? Get well-known? :P

I like the sound of the review, glad to hear that Tahmoh has a great character. I want the pilot now so I can see what I think..... :D Is it bad to wish for it to leak? :P

ShadowMaat
June 10th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Futon Critic has a review of the pilot (http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rant.aspx?id=20080610) as well. All good stuff. :)

Bey0nd
June 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM
True, true, you only started the needless and somewhat muisguided Joss-bashing. But do us a favour and drop it, eh? He's fair game if you want to criticise his skill as a writer, director or showrunner, but calling people hypocrites for working for a company that once treated them poorly is rather personal (not to mention a bit of a stretch) so please bear in mind GW's 'no personal insults' rule and drop it.

Like I said I've nothing personal against Fox or Joss, they both have their flaws as a company and an individual writer/director and both have produced some great entertainment but you Madeleine are only scratching the surface on the lifetime of experiences between the Whedonistas and Foxstudios

Here's a little something to give you a taste of what's out there

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/05/dollhouse-fans.html
Die-hard Whedonites are rallying to save Dollhouse, the sci-fi drama about a group of high-tech killer assassins -- eight months before the show even hits the airwaves.

ShadowMaat
June 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Umm.... So? What does that have to do with not insulting/attacking Joss Whedon? Fans are rallying so it's okay to slam Joss? I've read the "be respectful" part of the rules pretty carefully and I don't recall there being any exceptions.

ANYWAY. Seems a little extreme to me to be starting a SOS campaign already, but fans are hardly ever rational, Whedon fans have certainly been burned before and I'm pretty sure the "Save Dollhouse" isn't the first pre-airing SOS campaign out there.

I'd rather see the show first and decide whether or not it needs or even deserves saving. It could be such a breakout hit that it'll be in no danger of cancellation... or it could suck so horribly that it should never see the light of day. *shrug* Personally I've loved most of what I've heard so far and I think it'll be hard for it to be a complete disaster, but I'm also trying to keep my expectations realistic and risk setting myself up for disappointment if something doesn't work out the way I think it should.

I had a coworker who went to school with Joss and utterly reviled the man; I half expected him to spit on the floor every time his name was mentioned. LOL! It's given me kind of a weird perspective on things. I've liked some of the stuff Joss has done and hated other bits, but for the most part I maintain a wary acceptance of his existence and while I'm willing to let his stuff lure me in I find it hard to accept his stuff as gold, particularly sight unseen. I'm hopeful for Dollhouse, though, particularly the bits with Tahmoh. :D

EDIT: AHA! It was Lost! I'm pretty sure Lost had an SOS campaign before it ever aired and look how THAT turned out! LOL!

Pic
June 13th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Here's a link to some pictures from the first episode, for those interested...
http://www.watchingdollhouse.com/forums/showthread.php?p=113#post113

Enjoy!

MrsB108
June 21st, 2008, 08:16 AM
New interview with Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku:http://spoilergeeks.blogspot.com/2008/06/dollhouse-scoop.html

MrsB108
July 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Joss Whedon interview (second one down):http://spoilergeeks.blogspot.com/2008/07/fringe-dollhouse-scoop.html

Pic
July 27th, 2008, 09:00 AM
A couple vids from the Dollhouse panel at Comic Con.
Tahmoh, Whedon, Eliza, Tahmoh....

http://tahmohpenikett.blogspot.com/2008/07/video-more-photos-from-dollhouse-panel.html

oooo... I'm so happy now!

Care
July 27th, 2008, 05:39 PM
^ Thanks for posting that link! I can't wait to check DH out. They look like they are having a blast while shooting. I bet there is great chemistry between Eliza and Tahmoh.

Pic
July 28th, 2008, 06:48 AM
^ Thanks for posting that link! I can't wait to check DH out. They look like they are having a blast while shooting. I bet there is great chemistry between Eliza and Tahmoh.

Yes!
It looks like Fox is backing the show, too (crosses fingers).

Care
July 28th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Yes!
It looks like Fox is backing the show, too (crosses fingers).
If I remember correctly it was Eliza that had the contract with Fox first. It might say here in this thread somewhere (sorry I didn't read the whole thing). Basically Eliza will have 5 years on Fox and she got to pick the show. If DH gets cancelled *crosses fingers it doesn't* she gets to pick another pilot. Something like that anyway. :)

Ripple in Space
August 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Wasn't even looking, but this article popped out at me: http://www.tv.com/story/11508.html?tag=gumballs;img;5&om_act=convert&om_clk=gumballs

Apparently Joss & FOX decided to shoot a real pilot for Dollhouse to introduce the characters. They thought that the first episode didn't give enough backstory.

Maybe pilots are Joss' Achilles heel... Think about it, his biggest hits have not needed pilots; Buffy followed up a film, Angel used well established characters, and Alien Resurrection followed up on an existing franchise.

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
August 4th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I'll give it a chance just cos its Joss Whedon. I dont like all the stuff he does but even then I find I can still see alot of good in his work even if it isnt my "cup of tea". I just hope FOX treat him with more respect this time.

Pic
August 6th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Wasn't even looking, but this article popped out at me: http://www.tv.com/story/11508.html?tag=gumballs;img;5&om_act=convert&om_clk=gumballs

Apparently Joss & FOX decided to shoot a real pilot for Dollhouse to introduce the characters. They thought that the first episode didn't give enough backstory.

Maybe pilots are Joss' Achilles heel... Think about it, his biggest hits have not needed pilots; Buffy followed up a film, Angel used well established characters, and Alien Resurrection followed up on an existing franchise.

deja vu

Ripple in Space
August 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM
deja vu

how so?

Pic
August 6th, 2008, 01:46 PM
how so?

They asked Joss to go back and re-shoot Firefly's pilot, too. Then aired them out of order, etc. The sad saga of a fantastic series shot to he-double-toothpics.

But I'm planning on being optimistic that this time Fox'll let Joss do his thing.
crosses fingers

Kezia
August 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM
They asked Joss to go back and re-shoot Firefly's pilot, too. Then aired them out of order, etc. The sad saga of a fantastic series shot to he-double-toothpics.

But I'm planning on being optimistic that this time Fox'll let Joss do his thing.
crosses fingers

I was just thinking the same thing. Fox better not frak things up this time...

Trek_Girl42
August 6th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Given that it was Joss's idea this time to go back and shoot a new pilot, I'm not too worried. I just want to see the damn show. Soon. *sigh* This wait is agonizing.....

Pic
August 6th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Given that it was Joss's idea this time to go back and shoot a new pilot, I'm not too worried. I just want to see the damn show. Soon. *sigh* This wait is agonizing.....

Yes, that comforts me as well.

Anticipation is over-rated, I want to see it NOW!
:D

Ripple in Space
August 6th, 2008, 06:17 PM

crosses fingers

Thanks, I didn't realize because I never got into firefly.

Naonak
August 7th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Casting sides for the new pilot have got online, with details at io9 (http://io9.com/5034351/joss-whedons-dollhouse-is-even-creepier-than-you-thought). Massively spoilery, obviously.

Wow. Just... Wow... :eek:

Trek_Girl42
August 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Must resist reading. The ":eek:" face isn't helping!

Is it a good this-is-gonna-be-so-awesome ":eek:" or a bad this-is-ridiculously-dumb ":eek:"?

Naonak
August 7th, 2008, 04:42 PM
It's a Joss-has-a-twisted-yet-awesome-mind ":eek:". (Good, basically.)

I don't think it's really that spoilery for the big story arcs, until it starts talking about Tahmoh Penikett's character, but it does seem to outline Echo's whole story-of-the-week.

Plus, Joss rags on reality TV. :p

Trek_Girl42
August 7th, 2008, 04:55 PM
It's a Joss-has-a-twisted-yet-awesome-mind ":eek:". (Good, basically.)

I don't think it's really that spoilery for the big story arcs, until it starts talking about Tahmoh Penikett's character, but it does seem to outline Echo's whole story-of-the-week.

Plus, Joss rags on reality TV. :pShould I read or not read? :S

Naonak
August 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Erm... Go for it, read it.

Hopefully the brilliance will outweigh being spoiled.

Kezia
August 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I caved. :P

:eek:.

Trek_Girl42
August 8th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I haven't. :D

Yet.

I think I learned a lesson from watching the BSG vid. :P

Kezia
August 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I think I learned a lesson from watching the BSG vid. :P

What vid? :eek:

Trek_Girl42
August 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM
What vid? :eek: Here's (http://io9.com/5032614/a-glimpse-inside-the-filming-of-battlestars-final-episodes) some info about it and a few clips that I'm PRESUMING don't contain the spoilers, haven't bothered watching them. But it's all behind the scenes footage from the last two days of filming, and I recommend that you don't watch it if you don't want ANY spoilers. Even though it's absolutely gorgeous and totally made me cry. :P

If you really want the whole seventeen minutes, again, not recommending, but I'll upload it for you as the original source has been removed and I'm not sure if the whole thing is available anywhere anymore. :P

Pic
August 9th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I caved. :P

:eek:.

Yes, I caved too. :D
Wow. Kinda follows what I've heard, but still.
Wow.

If you don't want details, Trek_Girl42, here's the non-spoilery gist of the article:

"So all in all, after reading those script pages, I'm more convinced than ever that Dollhouse will be an addictive viewing experience — and that it may just be a little too weird for most viewers. Although I might have said the same about Lost, so you never know."

Pic
August 9th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Here's (http://io9.com/5032614/a-glimpse-inside-the-filming-of-battlestars-final-episodes) some info about it and a few clips that I'm PRESUMING don't contain the spoilers, haven't bothered watching them. But it's all behind the scenes footage from the last two days of filming, and I recommend that you don't watch it if you don't want ANY spoilers. Even though it's absolutely gorgeous and totally made me cry. :P

If you really want the whole seventeen minutes, again, not recommending, but I'll upload it for you as the original source has been removed and I'm not sure if the whole thing is available anywhere anymore. :P

Do you know the song from the first vid in that article?

Trek_Girl42
August 9th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Do you know the song from the first vid in that article?"1234" by Feist.

Kezia
August 9th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the link :)

"1234" by Feist.
Oh great, got the song stuck in my head again.

Anyway, Dollhouse is shaping up to be made of epic awesomeness. :D

Amaranth Traces
August 14th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Oh great, got the song stuck in my head again.

Anyway, Dollhouse is shaping up to be made of epic awesomeness. :D

LOL! Me too! It booted a Dr. Horrible song out of my mental-music-loop ;)

Generally speaking, I'm a spoiler-free zone. I did watch the trailer on youtube and snurched a bunch of promo pics for fanart, but I'm definitely trying to avoid learning too much about the show before it starts to air.

Does anyone know if it'll be carried on any Canadian channels? Or will I be forced to tune in to it on Fox? And when does it begin?

Care
August 14th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Not reading, not reading, lalalala......

It's really hard but I don't want to be spoiled. Same with the BSG vid. I really want to watch it, but I must be good!

Amaranth Traces
August 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Not reading, not reading, lalalala......

It's really hard but I don't want to be spoiled. Same with the BSG vid. I really want to watch it, but I must be good!

LOL! I'm having the same problem! I'll put on my dark sunglasses (I wear them at night too) so I can't see the spoilers. :hammondanime01:

Trek_Girl42
August 15th, 2008, 09:49 PM
LOL! Me too! It booted a Dr. Horrible song out of my mental-music-loop ;)

Generally speaking, I'm a spoiler-free zone. I did watch the trailer on youtube and snurched a bunch of promo pics for fanart, but I'm definitely trying to avoid learning too much about the show before it starts to air.

Does anyone know if it'll be carried on any Canadian channels? Or will I be forced to tune in to it on Fox? And when does it begin?
Yes. It has been picked up to air in Canada, I can't remember whether it was Global of CTV that got it though- I THINK it was Global. But not 100% on that.

Amaranth Traces
August 16th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Yes. It has been picked up to air in Canada, I can't remember whether it was Global of CTV that got it though- I THINK it was Global. But not 100% on that.

Excellent. Thanks :D I'll keep an eye out for it.

Kezia
August 16th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Excellent. Thanks :D I'll keep an eye out for it.
:indeed:

Pic
August 17th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Working myself up to being even more excited about this show, I made some icons last week

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/Pic-CollSwan/Dollhouse/Echoicon2.jpg http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/Pic-CollSwan/Dollhouse/Echoicon.jpg http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/Pic-CollSwan/Dollhouse/echoicon3.jpg http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/Pic-CollSwan/Dollhouse/paulicon.jpg http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/Pic-CollSwan/Dollhouse/paulicon2.jpg

Amaranth Traces
August 17th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Working myself up to being even more excited about this show, I made some icons last week

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/Pic-CollSwan/Dollhouse/Echoicon2.jpg http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/Pic-CollSwan/Dollhouse/Echoicon.jpg http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/Pic-CollSwan/Dollhouse/echoicon3.jpg http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/Pic-CollSwan/Dollhouse/paulicon.jpg http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/Pic-CollSwan/Dollhouse/paulicon2.jpg

...wow. Those are amazing. Love the echoing image of Echo. :weiranime17:

Pic
August 18th, 2008, 04:22 AM
OMG! I'm so excited!
Casting news here:

http://www.dollrific.com/blogging_dollhouse/2008/08/mark-sheppard-t.html

Don't know how spoilery casting is, but to be on the safe side
i LOVE Mark Sheppard!! Think I'm going to SQUEE!

Ripple in Space
August 18th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Am I crazy or does that guy look like Michael "Daniel" Shanks and David "McKay" Hewlett had a love child!?!

http://www.dollrific.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/16/mark_sheppard_dollhouse.jpg

Pic
August 18th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Am I crazy or does that guy look like Michael "Daniel" Shanks and David "McKay" Hewlett had a love child!?!

http://www.dollrific.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/16/mark_sheppard_dollhouse.jpg

:lol:

Trek_Girl42
August 18th, 2008, 03:20 PM
OMG! I'm so excited!
Casting news here:

http://www.dollrific.com/blogging_dollhouse/2008/08/mark-sheppard-t.html

Don't know how spoilery casting is, but to be on the safe side
i LOVE Mark Sheppard!! Think I'm going to SQUEE!AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

*dies of happiness* :D :D :D

Naonak
August 18th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Oh, thank you very much for that thought...! :eek:

:p

Ripple in Space
August 19th, 2008, 06:11 PM
The agent's apparently named Paul Smith... Boreanaz & Booth both love Paul Smith the designer... connection? homage?

s72450
August 20th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Well as long as Eliza makes out with another girl at some point in the series, I'll be okay with the show, lol.

What? I'm easy like that.

Ripple in Space
August 20th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Isn't it odd that FOX showed so much confidence in the show that they didn't even make Joss create a Pilot Pitch Tape, but then showed little enough confidence to make Dollhouse a Mid-season Replacement?

Mid-season replacements aren't considered the cream of the crop, and in the last decade less than 10 have gone on to be successful. Yes, Buffy was a mid-season replacement, but everyone thought (except for Joss) that it would suck (pun intended). It was a surprise success since it was nothing like the movie.

Foregoing the Pilot Pitch Tape shows an unprecedented amount of confidence. It's literally buying before you see, and we're talking 8-figures ($10,000,000+) of confidence. To illustrate, even the 10-season juggernaut "Friends" needed to shoot a pilot. Yes, Angel was allowed to shoot only an abridged Pitch Tape, but that was only because they were spinning off three established & popular characters into their own show, and still they needed a 10-min pitch tape.

Is it me, or do those two factors not jive?

MrsB108
August 20th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Episode Details:

Episode 1x02 "Echo"

When FBI Agent Paul Ballard obtains a picture of Echo, Adelle's operation is in danger of being exposed. Meanwhile, Echo is starting to show signs of self-consciousness, which Adelle considers "spectacularly unacceptable".

Source: SpoilerTV

Trek_Girl42
August 20th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Isn't it odd that FOX showed so much confidence in the show that they didn't even make Joss create a Pilot Pitch Tape, but then showed little enough confidence to make Dollhouse a Mid-season Replacement?

Mid-season replacements aren't considered the cream of the crop, and in the last decade less than 10 have gone on to be successful. Yes, Buffy was a mid-season replacement, but everyone thought (except for Joss) that it would suck (pun intended). It was a surprise success since it was nothing like the movie.

Foregoing the Pilot Pitch Tape shows an unprecedented amount of confidence. It's literally buying before you see, and we're talking 8-figures ($10,000,000+) of confidence. To illustrate, even the 10-season juggernaut "Friends" needed to shoot a pilot. Yes, Angel was allowed to shoot only an abridged Pitch Tape, but that was only because they were spinning off three established & popular characters into their own show, and still they needed a 10-min pitch tape.

Is it me, or do those two factors not jive?Making it a "mid-season replacement" is not about a lack of confidence- they'll be pairing Dollhouse with 24 and Joss also wanted the mid-season slot because it gives more time to get the show right. Ron Moore also has a potential "mid-season" show for Fox as well, TSCC was another Fox mid-season show. I'd worry more if it were a fall show. Hardly anything that has started during the fall season on Fox recently has survived, that I've noticed anyway. :P

And given that several top shows have started to format themselves to start airing in Janurary, putting Dollhouse among them shows a lot of confidence.

MrsB108
August 30th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Sneak peek:http://spoilergeeks.blogspot.com/2008/08/dollhouse-sneak-peek.html

MrsB108
September 5th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Scoop:http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=59493

Pic
September 5th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I shared this in the Helo Thunk thread, but thought it would be appropriate here as well. It's from the Dollhouse panel at Dragon Con.

Just so all us fangirls can flail over his handsome-ness
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/Pic-CollSwan/Dollhouse/DragonCon01.jpg

Angela V
September 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM

Global. Found an article. Though it doesn't say if it'll be Global or E!. Was annoyed to also find out that 24 is being shifted to E! which does not have HD unless they will by January. Fox HD sometimes goes wacky.

Trek_Girl42
September 6th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Global. Found an article. Though it doesn't say if it'll be Global or E!. Was annoyed to also find out that 24 is being shifted to E! which does not have HD unless they will by January. Fox HD sometimes goes wacky.Ewwwwww! I hate E! and it's stupid Ryan Seacrest "we'll be back after these local messages" every commercial break blah blah blah. If I wanted to see that guy on my tv I'd be watching American Idol for frak's sake! Awful, awful stupid channel that seems to live for reality crap. *takes breath* I really don't like that channel. :P

Either way, I'll have to either record or "acquire" Dollhouse anyway, so I guess the channel doesn't matter so much. Night courses. :(

Seems to be Global's new dumping ground though, granted if they're putting 24 there, maybe not. :P

Angela V
September 8th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Ewwwwww! I hate E! and it's stupid Ryan Seacrest "we'll be back after these local messages" every commercial break blah blah blah. If I wanted to see that guy on my tv I'd be watching American Idol for frak's sake! Awful, awful stupid channel that seems to live for reality crap. *takes breath* I really don't like that channel. :P

Either way, I'll have to either record or "acquire" Dollhouse anyway, so I guess the channel doesn't matter so much. Night courses. :(

Seems to be Global's new dumping ground though, granted if they're putting 24 there, maybe not. :P

It's like when I hate that CTV using A-Channel for it's dumping ground! It freaking don't have HD. I had to watch Sarah Connor Chronicles on FOX HD though it was behaving.
My inlaws aren't happy with E! because it used to be their CHCH hamilton station. They still pull analog out of the air because they live in the country and trying to figure out a dish is going to be way too much. Though my mil gets around on computer fine. My fil (he's 79) can't even figure out their current tv set up. They still get their CHCH news. They just don't get good programming anymore. And trying to explain that come next February they are going to lose the USA station they get is a bit hard. They see the commercials about getting a special box so your tv can get digital signals but it's for the USA only. That's what had them confused.

I hate Ryan. Didn't watch American Idol this year. But never could get how he hosted AI. I prefer Ben on CI. :)

Trek_Girl42
September 9th, 2008, 11:27 AM
It's like when I hate that CTV using A-Channel for it's dumping ground! It freaking don't have HD. I had to watch Sarah Connor Chronicles on FOX HD though it was behaving.
My inlaws aren't happy with E! because it used to be their CHCH hamilton station. They still pull analog out of the air because they live in the country and trying to figure out a dish is going to be way too much. Though my mil gets around on computer fine. My fil (he's 79) can't even figure out their current tv set up. They still get their CHCH news. They just don't get good programming anymore. And trying to explain that come next February they are going to lose the USA station they get is a bit hard. They see the commercials about getting a special box so your tv can get digital signals but it's for the USA only. That's what had them confused.

I hate Ryan. Didn't watch American Idol this year. But never could get how he hosted AI. I prefer Ben on CI. :)Ick. A-Channel is annoying too. Didn't like how CTV dumped Scrubs off there. :(

Meh, I don't get HD, I don't think my tv capable of playing HD, I'm just happy when the channels WORK. :P SPACE has been having a rash of technical difficulties for the last.....six months? More? Basically since they were taken over.....argh. The one they had in the five minutes before the last BSG ep was absolutely terrifying. The whole channel froze on a shot of the Enterprise, thought we'd miss is. :S

The whole digital box was confusing- I heard somewhere here we had to have one, then we didn't, then it was US only and we won't need it until 2010? Hopefully I'll have a new tv by then, mine is all messed up with bars along the top of the screen, poor thing. :P:S

MmmmMcKAy
September 9th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I asked the Cogeco people about the whole switch to digital thing a few weeks ago(my friend had told me that we are switching to digital in January so I panicked). The 2009 date is the USA only. So some of the American channels may not come in if you don't have digital. Canada switches over in 2011(I think).

Trek_Girl42
September 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I asked the Cogeco people about the whole switch to digital thing a few weeks ago(my friend had told me that we are switching to digital in January so I panicked). The 2009 date is the USA only. So some of the American channels may not come in if you don't have digital. Canada switches over in 2011(I think).Whaaaaaaat!!!!! That sounds problematic. I need PBS!

GateofDOOM
September 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I shared this in the Helo Thunk thread, but thought it would be appropriate here as well. It's from the Dollhouse panel at Dragon Con.

Just so all us fangirls can flail over his handsome-ness
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/Pic-CollSwan/Dollhouse/DragonCon01.jpg

*flails*

prion
September 11th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Variety

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117992021.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Joss Whedon is resetting his "Dollhouse."
Sep 11 2008

20th Century Fox TV shut down production on the midseason Fox show on Friday, and plans to resume shooting on Sept. 25.

Whedon had been busy directing two of the first three segs of "Dollhouse," which kept him out of the writers' room. As a result, the studio, network and Whedon agreed that the show's fourth script needed work. Whedon also requested the production reprieve to get ahead on the show's next few scripts.

Because the show doesn't bow until midseason, the shutdown won't affect "Dollhouse's" schedule.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Pic
September 11th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Variety

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117992021.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Joss Whedon is resetting his "Dollhouse."
Sep 11 2008

20th Century Fox TV shut down production on the midseason Fox show on Friday, and plans to resume shooting on Sept. 25.

Whedon had been busy directing two of the first three segs of "Dollhouse," which kept him out of the writers' room. As a result, the studio, network and Whedon agreed that the show's fourth script needed work. Whedon also requested the production reprieve to get ahead on the show's next few scripts.

Because the show doesn't bow until midseason, the shutdown won't affect "Dollhouse's" schedule.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Joss should act! Like he needs something else to do ~ *snicker
Thanks for posting the article. :)

poundpuppy29
September 11th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Here's a poll about what show should get their own folder you can vote for more than 1

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=58970

MrsB108
September 12th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Scoop:http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b28407_peek_inside_dollhouse.html

poundpuppy29
September 12th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I just hope Fox doesn't do to Dollhouse what they did to Firefly

Madeleine
September 12th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Joss should act! Like he needs something else to do ~ *snicker

He was good in a brief scene in Veronica Mars. He was sublime though in the outtake from that same episode, which is on the s2 DVD set. I think he just improvised an in-character monologue, and it was too irrelevant to the plot to be included, but it was a fine piece of thespianism :)

Trek_Girl42
September 12th, 2008, 01:54 PM
He was good in a brief scene in Veronica Mars. He was sublime though in the outtake from that same episode, which is on the s2 DVD set. I think he just improvised an in-character monologue, and it was too irrelevant to the plot to be included, but it was a fine piece of thespianism :)That scene was priceless. Wow. And the picture on the wall LOL. And it was great because it wasn't just "oh look it's Joss Whedon", his character that appeared for thirty seconds was ridiculously hilarious.

I want to see him make a brief appearance on something like Pushing Daisies. :P:D

Pandora's_Box
September 13th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Interesting article over at Television Without Pity.

TWOP 10 Reasons Joss Whedon Fans Should Be Nervous About Dollhouse (http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/telefile/2008/09/twop-10-reason-joss-whedon-fan.php)

Ripple in Space
September 16th, 2008, 05:54 PM
#7 & #9 are retarded, but I agree w/ the rest. My hopes aren't too high just because FOX is almost as bad as NBC with canceling shows too quickly.

7. Fox decided to air episodes of Firefly out of order.
Even though Whedon put the halt on production, who is to say that the one mediocre episode (that may or may not have already been shot) won't end up airing as the pilot? Firefly was all over the map, making it beyond taxing for potential fans, even the most loyal, trying to follow the continuing storyline.
Why would any network want to air a "mediocre" episode first? :rolleyes:

9. Amy Acker's a showkiller.
She's one of Joss's favorite girls (he does tend to repurpose them) but her most recent gigs have been on the end of Angel, towards the end of Alias, on the blink-and-you-missed-it Drive and on the short-lived (thankfully) October Road. She's not totally to blame for their demise, but bad luck seems to be following her.
If he tried claiming that she was a bad actress he would've made more sense (I still wouldn't agree). But criticizing her for being bad luck is just stupid.

Pandora's_Box
September 17th, 2008, 05:47 AM
#7 & #9 are retarded, but I agree w/ the rest. My hopes aren't too high just because FOX is almost as bad as NBC with canceling shows too quickly.

IMO, FOX is the worat when it comes to giving a series a chance.

Why would any network want to air a "mediocre" episode first? :rolleyes:

Have you seen Firefly's "first episode", The Train Job? Mediocre at best. Now compare that to what FOX should have aired, Serenity parts 1 and 2, and you'll see why they're saying that.

If he tried claiming that she was a bad actress he would've made more sense (I still wouldn't agree). But criticizing her for being bad luck is just stupid.

Lots of people prescribe to the belief that certain brands of luck follow certain people around. I'm not saying I do, but it's a popular belief among Hollywood producers and those that follow the shows.

Naonak
September 17th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Especially considering that she first appeared on Angel at the end of season 2...

MrsB108
September 17th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Script chunk for 1x03:http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2008/09/dollhouse-episode-103-target-script.html

Ripple in Space
September 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
IMO, FOX is the worat when it comes to giving a series a chance.

Have you seen Firefly's "first episode", The Train Job? Mediocre at best. Now compare that to what FOX should have aired, Serenity parts 1 and 2, and you'll see why they're saying that.

Lots of people prescribe to the belief that certain brands of luck follow certain people around. I'm not saying I do, but it's a popular belief among Hollywood producers and those that follow the shows.

I don't follow Firefly, but the fact of the matter is that they will air the episode that they think will be best for the show, and I'm pretty sure Joss will get a say this time.

I only say NBC is the worse because of "The Black Donnellys," which is the best written show I've ever seen. It's not my favorite show, since it's not even close to Angel & Buffy on my list, but it's really the only show I've ever seen written with complete artistic integrity. And Black Donnellys got canned after 3 episodes, now, a year+ after cancellation it's the #2 most popular NBC show after Heroes just from people re-watching the only 12 BD episodes over and over.

As for Amy, I'm not a crazy fan of hers, but I really like her. I can see that she's not leading lady material just because of her acting style, but she's a great actress, fantastic for supporting, and very attractive. Joss knows how to cast good actors. Who would've guessed Alyson would've become a breakout movie star? Nick Brendon & Alexis Denisof have surprised me by the lack of high profile work, but who knows how they'll do in the future. Marsters is in his mid-40s and first got a starring role in a $100m blockbuster that's coming out in a few months...

I think any Whedon show is guaranteed to have a good cast. Overly dark & overly quirky are the things that might make his work less marketable.

Bey0nd
October 20th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Has Sarah Connor Terminated Dollhouse?

http://io9.com/5065479/has-sarah-connor-terminated-dollhouse

Angela V
October 20th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Nick Brendon & Alexis Denisof have surprised me by the lack of high profile work, but who knows how they'll do in the future. Marsters is in his mid-40s and first got a starring role in a $100m blockbuster that's coming out in a few months...

Nick Brendon was in 3 episodes of Criminal Minds last season and I think the last two of season 3? He falls for fellow computer geek Penny when she was kidnapped. Have recorded season 4 new episodes but haven't watched them yet. Hoping he doesn't just disappear.

Marsters has been on several Smallville episodes as Brainiac. Nice to see him getting movie role.

Angela V
October 20th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Ick. A-Channel is annoying too. Didn't like how CTV dumped Scrubs off there. :(

Meh, I don't get HD, I don't think my tv capable of playing HD, I'm just happy when the channels WORK. :P SPACE has been having a rash of technical difficulties for the last.....six months? More? Basically since they were taken over.....argh. The one they had in the five minutes before the last BSG ep was absolutely terrifying. The whole channel froze on a shot of the Enterprise, thought we'd miss is. :S

The whole digital box was confusing- I heard somewhere here we had to have one, then we didn't, then it was US only and we won't need it until 2010? Hopefully I'll have a new tv by then, mine is all messed up with bars along the top of the screen, poor thing. :P:S

August 2011 for us. If you get cable you are fine concerning the USA stations. If you get over the air, you will no longer be able to get analog stations from the USA starting next February when they make their switch. You will need a tv that has a digital tuner (as in HD TV or HD ready TV). You can watch digital cable on a tube tv through cable providers. You just won't be able to get HD. I had digital cable on a tube tv for about 8 months (was much clearer than the analog and Roger Cable provides more channels for basic digital since not many stations air in analog). Got a HD tv last October and switched from a SD digital box to a HD digital box.

A-Channel has picked up BSG which is bad that I don't get it in HD anymore since City tv has a HD channel but A-Channel dosen't. However I'm on the 3rd episode of season 4! With City, I had to wait at least a YEAR before I'd get new BSG episodes after the USA airings. Hoping to get the last 10 episodes sooner too.

Seems weird why Space would be having problems just by being owned by a different company! Someone not like sci-fi? :)

ShadowMaat
October 20th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Matt Roush from tvguide.com thinks fans are being overly paranoid about the show's fate. [tagged for space]

Question: I've been a longtime fan of Joss Whedon and frequently visit the many boards dedicated to his shows. I am finding with greater frequency links and discussions of stories about fans and their fears for his upcoming show on Fox called Dollhouse. If one was to believe the few that get quoted in many of these articles, one would think the entire fandom was waiting for the axe to fall 15 minutes into the airing of the first episode. I'm finding the opposite to be true. Most are actually tired of hearing others a panic about the fate of a show they haven't seen yet. (I know I am.) In this day, it seems perception is everything, and I for one would think it a shame for people to not bother to tune in because they've been reading for months that not even the fans have faith that the show will last more than a few episodes. My question is, do you think maybe the articles written claiming the entire fandom is resigned to lose another show too soon are having a negative impact on the potential for Dollhouse to succeed? — HGP

Matt Roush:I don't even know how to respond to this sort of twisted fan logic, that fans are upset because fans are concerned that fans are already giving up on a show that is still months away from premiering. I think fans should relax. It is almost always a mistake to judge a show by its early buzz, and Dollhouse suffers for having been in the pipeline a long while and having undergone a fair amount of widely reported retooling. There's reason to be skeptical (given the history with Firefly) that Fox may not live up to its end of the bargain, but look how supportive the network has been to Fringe so far, a show that has been exhibiting its growing pains on air, which is possibly even more perilous than what Dollhouse is currently experiencing. In a recent interview with Television Week, the heads of the studio that produces Dollhouse were asked about the status of the show, and 20th co-chair Dana Walden admitted, "The midseason opportunity is a blessing and curse. It's a blessing because you have more time. And it's a curse because you have more time. There's a greater level of scrutiny. There is a greater level of intrusion from executives. The bar just keeps being raised because there's no urgency to put the show on the air. … Being stuck in that limbo with a lot of well-intentioned executives is very difficult for a creator like Joss." She added that the first two episodes "are quite good. The third episode is as compelling a script as I've ever read." So while there's no doubt that Dollhouse is a risk for the studio and the network, everyone involved desperately wants to be in business with Joss, and my advice is to let them roll the dice without getting overly agitated in advance.

I'd say that the io9 article fits in with that paranoia.

Madwelshboy
October 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Amy Acker has defended the sudden two-week suspension of filming on Joss Whedon's Dollhouse.

The former Angel star, who plays the mysterious Dr. Claire Saunders in the forthcoming show, told Sci Fi Wire: "Instead of rushing to make episodes, [Fox] thought, 'Well, we've already made four, and they're all going to be done before the first one airs. So we have the luxury to take the time and make them the way they want them."

Acker added: "We did take a little break...and everyone is just excited to be there. I think we just kind of had that time, because it doesn't air until January."

Dollhouse creator and showrunner Whedon halted production on the show for two weeks in September in order to rework the fourth episode's script. However, Fox have maintained that they will commence airing the show as planned in January.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a133536/acker-defends-dollhouse-delay.html

Naonak
October 26th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Joss has posted over on Whedonesque (http://whedonesque.com/comments/17945) about the Dollhouse situation.

What's me up to? I'm glad me asked. Me've (I'm not doing that any more) been working on a little show called Dollhouse. Yes, perhaps you've read about how it's blazing an untrammeled path to surefire success, with nary a hitch or a hiccup, just pure blazing blazery, comet-like and meteoresque. What's that, you say? You've read other things? Dark, Yog-Sothothy rumors about shutdowns and delays? Poppycock! They’re true. But I never pass up a chance to say "poppycock". ("Balderdash" is so '07. Let it go.) I know there's been a lot of concern, various fabulous hues of panic alert readiness. So here's the skinny. Some of the names have been changed.

ShadowMaat
October 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Yog-Sothy. LOL!

Sounds like things are shuffling along nicely. Can't wait for this to actually hit the air. :)

retiredat44
October 27th, 2008, 01:05 PM
There have been and still are other tv shows where someone acting as an agent, having two different lives (personalities). like:
My Own Worst Enemy
http://www.nbc.com/My_Own_Worst_Enemy/

And, remember NoWhere Man? He also was some type of agent that had one of his personalities buried. (they killed that great tv show and pissed off all the fans).

Firefly was very good. I could not stand Buffy and whatever the other show was..

Jill_Ion
October 30th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the info! Was wondering where it was!

Madwelshboy
December 8th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Rejoicing ensued when word came that Joss Whedon--creator of the beloved Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly--was returning to network TV with Fox's upcoming SF series Dollhouse, starring Buffy/Angel alumna Eliza Dushku (Faith).

But that was months ago. And in the wake of news about the show's troubled development process, the buzz may be turning ugly.

"This may sound ridiculously nerdy, but I'm kinda scared to get all emotionally invested with another of Whedon's shows after the cancellation of Firefly," one person posted on YouTube.com after Dollhouse's trailer debuted there.

We are all big supporters of Whedon, too, but we have to worry ourselves, just like these others:

"In Joss we trust, but not Fox. Should we start the 'Save Dollhouse' petitions now? :0)>"

"So true. Let's hope Fox doesn't mess this up!! There is a space on the market for a show like this. Alias, Dark Angel, BTVS, Bionic Woman ... all gone. My fingers are well and truly crossed."

One of the most anticipated shows of the season, Dollhouse has had one of the most troubled preproduction journeys of any show in recent history. Dollhouse follows a group of mind-wiped secret agents who have different personalities and skills implanted in their brains for each mission. Dushku plays "Echo," one of the dolls who is starting to become self-aware. Going by premise alone, the show should be Whedon gold. But the devil is in the details. Here are seven reasons to worry........

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=62579

The Signal
December 8th, 2008, 06:31 AM
1. The network gave Joss the time and money to shoot an entirely new first episode because the pilot didn't work as a premiere (these two things are NOT always the same), that's not a problem, that's faith.

2. Totally out of context, they were far enough ahead with filming to take the time off to get the post production down to perfection. As for re-shooting, because this has been rushed out they didn't have a hell of a long time between writing episodes and shooting them partially thanks to le strike- sometimes things just don't translate from page to screen - the fact that they didn't use the scene anyway is a good thing.

3. Angel. Firefly. We Joss fans are a little paranoid, and "articles" such as these don't help the more jittery among us.

4. Actually I felt that was quite effective, considering the context in which it was shown - strong dialogue and snappy dialogue are not always the same thing.

5. Shows get moved around a lot, the network have put a lot of money and effort into this show, they wouldn't be throwing it out there for no reason. They're banking on the tech-savvy fans picking this show up, not necessarily just focussing on the live showings.

6. Eh? Not sure when "Time" became the authority on drama to be honest, but then it makes a change from Youtube comments. As for cast/crew changes... erm, yes. A lot of shows change their cast/crew/characters in the early days.

7. Spending money on a set means they're in for the long haul, to me.

In all, scaremongering and nothing more. If the show flops, it flops, but how about people hold off on the blaming game until after the announcement that the show has been axed is released, if it ever comes. Better yet, wait until the premiere goes out...

the fifth man
December 8th, 2008, 07:17 PM
All we can do anymore with most new shows is hope for the best. You can't choose to not give something a try just out of fear that it won't make it.

ShadowMaat
December 8th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Oh, blah blah blah. Whatever. :rolleyes: I'm having flashbacks to when Lost was still an upcoming show and folks started a "Save Lost" campaign before it ever hit the air. Yeah, that was a good call. LMAO!

I'm tired of the scaremongering. The show will air. Entertainment sites need to stop trying to sow discord and panic and find something more useful to do with their time. Like knitting. Go make Jayne hats, not rumors. :P

Insipid
December 9th, 2008, 06:47 AM
It's Joss Whedon. If he were making a show about pumpkins evolving into sentient beings and taking the fight to their farmer-oppressors, I'd watch it. I don't care about any rumor-mongering.

Why? Because he's ****ing Joss Whedon!

The Prophet
December 10th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Youtube Commenter xD

Madwelshboy
December 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Joss Whedon is no stranger to success. After the phenomenally successfully Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its spin-off Angel, Whedon has treated viewers to the short-lived but well regarded Firefly (and subsequent movie Serenity) and the musical superhero spoof Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. His latest project is Dollhouse, which paints a future where “Actives” (or dolls) have their personalities wiped and reprogrammed in order to carry out different assignments. Abbie Bernstein caught up with Whedon to find out how the show came about.

What’s Dollhouse about?

It’s about a girl trying to figure out who she is, while she’s imprinted with every personality you can imagine. It’s about acting, living, being a woman, being everything. Let me put it this way – when I thought it up and launched it at Eliza [Dushku, who executive produces with Whedon and plays main character Echo], the first thing she said was, “Oh, my God, it’s my life!” And she meant mostly as an actress, but then we realized it didn’t just mean that.

It’s a metaphor for everybody. If it isn’t, you’re missing something. The idea is, we all have certain assumptions about who we are, based on what we were told when we were little and what we think we’re supposed to do. And we have a lot of assumptions about what is good, and what about us is not good, and what’s sinful and what’s saintly, and we’re often wrong about all of them. Dollhouse is basically about breaking all that down and exploring it and finding out what it really means to be a human being.

How did Dollhouse come into being?

To me, Eliza is like watching a meteor shower. I’m just amazed. I can’t believe what I’m seeing. I’ve known her for 10 years. She’s always been a star. But being a star and being a human being are two very different things. And over the 10 years, we’ve spent time becoming friends, but I’ve also watched her deliberately and painfully take control of her career and the way in which it’s going, the things she is portraying, and you don’t see that a lot.

I see it with Felicia Day doing The Guild on the internet, saying, “Nobody’s going to make my way, so I’ll make my own way,” and Felicia is smart enough to pull that off. The two of them share that. Eliza – when I first sat her down, years ago, to say, “Stop making bad movies!” she said, “We don’t set out to make them bad – I don’t know what to tell you.” But we talked about her agency, her choices. And it was a bleak landscape.

I seem to be the guy who spends his life saying how hard it is for beautiful young women – but it is hard to be an ingénue in this town. We got together a few years later, [but the people around her] insisted she do the big-budget thing, so nobody wanted to know what Eliza thought, except Eliza.

And when we got together for lunch this time, she was like, “I’ve made a deal, I don’t expect to write or control a show, but I do need to control the quality of what I’m doing and the image of what I am, and I want to make meaningful, decent, political, feminist, real, fun, sexy, interesting TV.” Those were all on her list. And I said, “There’s only one man for that job!” [laughs]

In the course of the conversation, the idea of Echo came to me from that exact thing. The story of Dollhouse is the story of somebody trying to figure out who she is while everybody tells her what they want her to be. That is the story of Eliza Dushku, and watching Eliza do that has been one of the great joys of my career. She’s always been an intellectual equal. She’s always been a seeker. I’m still trying to figure myself out.

That’s another point of the show, is that the people who control the Actives, the dolls, are just as much in need of understanding what they are as the dolls.

When you and the writing staff are creating personas for Echo, do you think, “Boy, this would be a really cool identity, but who on Earth would want them to do this and why?”

”Who would want them to do this and why?” is sort of what keeps it interesting every week. Sometimes it’s somebody extraordinarily nefarious and sometimes it’s somebody very decent, but usually, it’s all the way in between. I mean, as long as nobody gets hurt, as long as the Actives are not harmed, everything’s good, everything is game. Some people would abuse that and some people need it.

Ultimately, you’ll find the one thing that every episode has in common is that Echo is the person you need at that point in your life to either turn your life around, to give you the moment you thought you’d never have, or to pull you out of a place you think you can’t get out of. Or to rob the bank. Whatever it is, she’s a kind of life coach, without even meaning to be. She’s always the perfect person for whatever it is you need.

Sometimes there will be B stories – we’ll always see the workings of the Dollhouse, but we’ll also see other Actives on other engagements, and sometimes they’ll just be B stories, sometimes they’ll cross over or sometimes they’ll just connect thematically.

How did you determine who the other characters around Echo should be?

The first thing I said to Eliza, before I’d even created the show, was, “You need an ensemble. You can’t be in every scene – it’ll make you nuts. You need a genre show and you need a big ensemble. You need a premise that’s bigger than just you, so that if you need to stand down and get some rest, you can maintain after a certain time.”

To that end, there was more than one Active. Then you work out the idea of the place [the Dollhouse]. You need a programmer, you need someone who runs it, you need someone to back her up, her handler, and you need somebody to save her, who’s trying to find her.

Then Dr. Saunders, who’s played by Amy Acker, was created after I pitched the show. It was, “We need this voice in the Dollhouse, to counteract Topher the programmer.” So it was all very organic. It was just the obvious people that would be in Echo’s life. It wasn’t like, “I need my wacky sidekick.” There was nothing cynical about the way they came in – they were all just what they needed to be, and then I found the actors who had that same quality. I feel again that same thing I had on Firefly of, “These guys have always been doing this, nobody else could’ve.”

There’s a lot of anticipation about Dollhouse in the online fan community…

Sometimes there’s a backlash against fans – “Oh, they’re going to make everybody else not watch.” Well, that’s not the case. The only person who can really do that is me. If people come, if they give it a fair shake, I will do my best to entertain them. And everything else will fall by the wayside.

Can you say anything about Cabin in the Woods, the feature film you’re producing that Drew Goddard will direct?

It’s a horror movie. Some teenagers may meet with violence!

Dollhouse starts airing on Fox in February 2009.

http://www.dwscifi.com/interviews/2847-joss-whedon-welcome-to-the-dollhouse

Madwelshboy
December 14th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Dushku defends delayed 'Dollhouse'

Dollhouse star Eliza Dushku claims that the quality of Joss Whedon's show has not been affected by the Fox network's creative meddling.

After numerous delays and reshoots, Dushku explained to Sci Fi Wire that Fox "wanted more payoffs early on to hook people, I think, so we made that adjustment. I think it's been really successful."

"The scripts are tight, solid, fast, action, drama, comedy. It's really great," added the actress, who previously starred in Whedon's Buffy The Vampire Slayer as Faith.

Dushku also clarified Whedon's original vision for Dollhouse before the network insisted on punchier early episodes. "He wanted to gradually play out stories and do a lot of setups," she said.

Dollhouse will begin in the United States in February 2009.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a138380/dushku-defends-delayed-dollhouse.html

morjana
January 7th, 2009, 10:43 AM
At Imagine Publishing (http://www.scifinow.co.uk/latest_back_issues.html):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/morjana/merchandise/scifinowmag23.jpg

WARP SPEED! (http://www.scifinow.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2479&highlight=issue)

Officially on sale 24th December, SciFiNow issue 23 is the latest issue of the UK's fastest growing and biggest science fiction magazine. Here's a small taster of what's in store in our huge 148 page issue.

Inside:

• Our news this month brings you the word on Twilight's odd success at the box office, the lowdown on the best films coming your way soon, and a look at the ratings challenge of science fiction and television as a whole.

• Our gigantic 2009 preview brings you in-depth looks at Coraline, Dollhouse and The Spirit, featuring interviews with the cast and crew of all three.

• We talk to Dave Filoni, the supervising director of Star Wars: Clone Wars, about the series, Star Wars games, and the legacy of Lucas.

• We also talk to Jeph Loeb about his career in comics.

• SciFiNow sits down with David X Cohen and chats Futurama.

• Ever wondered if...? We give our dream cast for a proposed remake of Total Recall.

• The most trustworthy reviews of the latest film and DVD releases.

• A wealth of book, comic and graphic novel reviews.

• Look at the size of that thing! An exhaustively geeky guide to Star Wars: A New Hope, a look at the first season of Star Trek: Enterprise and a retro special on The Creature From The Black Lagoon lead our signature Timewarp section.

• The Fanboys section continues to cover all the hottest convention and memorabilia news, including the shiniest collector's guide to Firefly in the 'Verse.

• We nitpick our way through The Island.

• Our history of literary sci-fi this month has an in depth look at Frank Herbert.

• Also included, our indispensable guide to this month's essential sci-fi viewing.

• And all you could want from the UK's premiere science fiction, horror, fantasy and cult magazine.

Memories have been wiped, and issue 23 schmoozes its way into all good newsagents on 24th December 2008! Merry Christmas!

Those lucky enough to be subscribers will have made a huge 30% saving, so why not pop on over to our eShop (https://secure.widearea.co.uk/cisubs/IMAG/SCI/WEB100).

Verona
January 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I flicked through this mag today, and could not find any Stargate. Saying that it is a quality mag in general and well worth getting IMO.

morjana
January 7th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I flicked through this mag today, and could not find any Stargate. Saying that it is a quality mag in general and well worth getting IMO.

Hi, Verona.

Thank you for the update.

I don't have the funds to purchase the magazine, and was going by the cover photo on the Stargate content.

I'll ask the mods to move this thread to the general scifi section then.

Madwelshboy
January 21st, 2009, 02:04 AM
Amy Acker: What’s Up, Doc? (interview)

The people who made Angel really love Amy Acker. When Joss Whedon hired her for to play Fred Burkle in the show, co-creator/executive producer Joss Whedon declared: “She’s stolen all of our hearts – and now we’re afraid she won’t give them back!” Acker was a regular on Angel for four years, before being hired by erstwhile Angel showrunner Tim Minear to play Nathan Fillion’s wife on the short-lived Drive, and had a recurring gig as a badass spy on Alias in between. Now she’s a regular on Whedon’s new Fox series Dollhouse as “house” doctor Claire Saunders.

http://www.dwscifi.com/interviews/2994-amy-acker-what-s-up-doc

SBN
January 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
The whole concept of this show gives me absolutely zero confidence it will last beyond the initial purchase of episodes by FOX. I simply just do not see enough there for this show to reach beyond a few episodes. To me, this is a concept for a show that might work as a short run series like Generation Kill, i.e. 7-8 episodes. But unless there is some major plot aspect hidden, which is unlikely, this show will not have enough to sustain itself for a network run. At best I would imagine after one season people will tire quickly.

knowles2
January 22nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Dushku defends delayed 'Dollhouse'

Dollhouse star Eliza Dushku claims that the quality of Joss Whedon's show has not been affected by the Fox network's creative meddling.

After numerous delays and reshoots, Dushku explained to Sci Fi Wire that Fox "wanted more payoffs early on to hook people, I think, so we made that adjustment. I think it's been really successful."

"The scripts are tight, solid, fast, action, drama, comedy. It's really great," added the actress, who previously starred in Whedon's Buffy The Vampire Slayer as Faith.

Dushku also clarified Whedon's original vision for Dollhouse before the network insisted on punchier early episodes. "He wanted to gradually play out stories and do a lot of setups," she said.

Dollhouse will begin in the United States in February 2009.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a138380/dushku-defends-delayed-dollhouse.html

Did they learn anything about lost, they did not start paying backs fans until the fourth season.

Ripple in Space
January 23rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
The January issues of Whedon's Buffy Season Eight and Angel After the Fall make me wonder if Whedon's lost his storytelling touch. While the latter was excellent, the whole intertwined arc between both issues about demons becoming public not only mirrors other popular franchises, but does a disservice to his existing stories...

prion
January 23rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
If you're a fan of the show, live in the New York City region,....

http://www.nycomiccon.com/app/homepage.cfm?appname=100453&moduleID=2525&LinkID=31514&campaignid=61424907&iUserCampaignID=47427639

February 8th - NY Comic Con

Dollhouse
Joss Whedon takes fans through a sneak peek at the first act of his highly-anticipated premiere episode of Dollhouse scheduled to launch on Friday, February 13th on FOX. Dollhouse stars Eliza Dushku, Tahmoh Penikett, Fran Kranz, Dichen Lachman, Enver Gjo
Sunday
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
IGN Theater
TV

ShadowMaat
January 24th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Why the frakking hell are all the cool things now happening on the East Coast? It's because I moved to Seattle, isn't it?

Damn conspiracies... And that one's all the nastier BECAUSE IT'S ON MY DAMN BIRTHDAY!!!

Madwelshboy
February 3rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Eliza Dushku: Echo in the House

“Welcome to our Dollhouse!” Eliza Dushku beams. She’s speaking about the elaborate set for Joss Whedon’s new drama about a mysterious agency that hires out people with specially-tailored personalities - including Dushku’s character Echo. The Dollhouse set itself is elegant and multi-layered, with a variety of interconnecting spaces that make it easy for cameras to slide through. The actress took time out to tell Abbie Bernstein more about the show.

Does the set look the way you imagined it would?

It surpassed what I would have expected. It’s beautiful!

The story going around is that you and Joss Whedon went out for lunch to talk about your career. He then went to the bathroom, came back to the table and had the idea for Dollhouse. Is that what really happened?

<Snipped by Mod> for full article click on the link.:)

In Dollhouse, the ‘dolls’ are chosen to be imprinted with various identities, and when they’re done with one job, the memory of that identity is erased and replaced with a new identity on the next job. Is the premise of the show a metaphor for being an actress?

An actress and a young woman. I think in our society today there’s this constant pressure on men and women, but especially young women. Every day you’re being pulled in all directions and trying to figure out who people want you to be, so I think there’s a parallel.

In addition to being the star, you’re also executive producer on Dollhouse with Joss Whedon. How do you divide your jobs?

I have a hat in my trailer. It’s my producer hat and I put it on when Joss wants to talk about all things producorial (laughs). It was the kind of thing where we’re in this together and we’re really a team in what we’re doing, and he cares how I feel about things. He’ll come into my trailer and say, “Okay, Eliza, put your script down and put your producer hat on and come out here, I want to talk to you about something [regarding the production],” and so he really has included me in that way.

Have you had to do much physical training for the show’s action scenes?

I’m working out with a trainer, a good friend. I think he makes real good women’s bodies. He doesn’t go for über-skinny, but he doesn’t go for really bulked up – he tailors everyone’s bodies to be strong and functional. He has it down to a science.

So, to sum up, how would you describe your experience of working on Dollhouse with Joss Whedon?

It’s one day at a time. We have an awesome team of writers. People are excited. My confidence and my enthusiasm and my excitement have only gotten more fierce. It’s like a dream to be working with someone who has such a serious soul and such as serious voice, and he knows what he is saying and what he is creating and how important and how relevant it is.

And Joss is a liberated, clever guy. He wants people to think that he is super-cynical, but he is not at all. He has this view of the world that I feel is so extraordinary, because nothing is black and white. He can play in that grey area and with good versus evil so spectacularly that every script and every piece of material that I get from him is a joy.

Dollhouse begins airing on Fox on February 13 2009.

http://www.dwscifi.com/interviews/3057-eliza-dushku-echo-in-the-house

Madwelshboy
February 4th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Stacey in Miami: Dollhouse premieres next week, and we haven't heard a thing about it.
Not to worry, we'll have some special Dollhouse bonuses all next week including Tahmoh Friday! The sexy Cylon-lovin' Helo and the hot FBI agent Paul Ballard, both played by Tahmoh Penikett, will run right after each other on Friday nights starting next week, and boy are we happy. Tahmoh himself jokes, "It's a big night for me. I guess I'm on two shows!" Right you are, and we'll be looking forward to it!

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b82006_spoiler_chat_greys_anatomy_couples_scoop.html

Amalthea
February 4th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I think it sounds really interesting. Not that I've seen any ads for it! Of course, I tend to only watch Fox for 24 and the Simpsons, but I'd argue those would be 2 really good places to put ads!

ShadowMaat
February 4th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Have you guys seen the Grindhouse-style trailer (http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/dollhouseterminator-grindhouse-trailer)? Is this thing for real?? That's just... bizarre to me. I'm looking forward to Dollhouse, but if my only exposure had been that ad I'd probably be reconsidering it. :P Sorry, but urg. That kinda stuff just does not work for me.

Madwelshboy
February 8th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Dollhouse's Dichen Lachman shares a few new secrets

With her striking looks, Dichen Lachman seems perfectly suited to play a malleable agent in Joss Whedon's upcoming sci-fi series Dollhouse, and in an exclusive interview, she offered some insights into how the series will handle its central premise. (Possible spoilers ahead!)

In Dollhouse, a top-secret organization wipes the memories of its agents, called "actives," then implants them with new personalities to perform "missions" for paying clients before wiping their memories again when they are finished.

As Fox gears up to launch the series Feb. 13 at 9 p.m., Lachman said the show will explore the concept week to week: Two actives may share the same personality, for example, and the memory wipes might not always be perfect.

SCI FI Wire caught up with Lachman at My Bar in Hollywood last month as part of Fox's Television Critics Association winter press tour. The following Q&A features edited excerpts of that interview.

The pilot is obviously focused on Echo, played by Eliza Dushku. What will we learn about your character, Sierra, moving forward?

Lachman: Well, I will start to become more aware as well. Not as aware as Echo, but more aware. I get to do a bunch of fun stuff. It's Echo's journey right now, but at the same time, it's very ensemble. A lot of the other cast get to really sink their teeth into some really fantastic roles. As far as my character, because I'm less aware, you'll see me play a lot of different characters to start off with.

What are some of the missions you get to go on?

Lachman: Eliza and I were imprinted with the same personality, and we played, like, a safecracker. That was a challenge, just the logistics of playing the same character another person is. In so many ways, it's such a challenge, but it was wonderful, so that was that.

At the same time?

Lachman: Well, she goes in and comes out, and then I go in and come out. I get to play a scientist, a marine, a spy.

Does your unique look lend itself to a lot of different characters?

Lachman: I hope so. I think that's a good thing. I think it does, in a way, and because my parents are from two completely different cultures, I think I can understand. I've just experienced living in different countries and stuff like that, so as an actor, all that stuff helps create people. It makes me who I am and hopefully enriches the roles I take on. [Lachman was born in Nepal to a Tibetan mother and an Australian father and grew up in Australia.]

What is the base state Sierra goes to after each mission?

Lachman: Well, essentially, when I first read the breakdown, I hadn't read the script. It [said] "childlike and unremembering." It's a completely blank canvas, very innocent, devoid of nuance and not even the slightest bit of personality. They don't remember people they meet, they don't remember what happened three hours ago. They're just kind of like, "Oh," like maybe a baby, a 1-year-old. Although they can speak, it's very sort of basic, like, "Oh, I like this," or "That's nice." It's very minimal.

And you have to start over each time because your memory's wiped clean?

Lachman: Well, essentially that's the concept of the Dollhouse, and the storyline is me, Eliza predominantly to start with, ... and a couple of the other actives, we slowly start to not be completely blank canvases. So there are a few little things that happen where we're like, "Why are we here? What are we doing here? Oh, I know you, but I don't know you, and I don't know why I know you, but I feel like I do."

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/dollhouses-dichen-lachman-shares-a-few-new-secrets.php

Madwelshboy
February 10th, 2009, 05:40 AM
NYCC: Joss Whedon says Dollhouse won't shy away from sex issues

Joss Whedon, creator of Fox's upcoming sci-fi series Dollhouse, told reporters that Fox brass were initially hesitant because of the suggestion that its main premise—beautiful people performing illegal services for rich clients for a fee—resembled prostitution.

Asked at New York Comic Con over the weekend whether the network had any issues with a show about beautiful women fulfilling the fantasies of rich men, Whedon replied: "Well, first of all, it's not just women. It's women and men. And, secondly, yes. There was, ... in the ranks, some consternation when the show was being made. 'Say, that looks like prostitution.' And my response was 'Yes, that's part of the package. ... That is part of what's going on with Dollhouse.'... And some people have been greatly offended by that and want to stay away from it."

But Whedon said that's the point. "My response to it is to take it head-on," he said. "Let's talk about the fact that it's exactly that and say how much of this is morally reprehensible and how much is how we as an American culture deem it morally reprehensible. The whole show is about what parts of our identity and the way we behave with each other are actually positive and decent. What parts actually come from ourselves, and what parts have been socialized? What parts have we been told are good or bad? And that's a theme you'll find in ... a lot of my work. What truly is a sin? I would like to subvert that and take a hero, and find out what is dark and strange and Canadian about him." He laughed. "To be able to talk about [prostitution] in a science fiction show, ... dealing with sexuality comes from Eliza [Dushku]. She said, 'I want to deal with sexuality on the show. I want it to be part of what we talk about.'"

Joss was asked if whether there will be a gay character, as there was in his earlier show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Whedon said this was a different scenario in that entire personalities are being wiped and replaced. "We're coming at it in a different way," he said, adding: "What they're basically doing is hiring somebody for an experience that absolutely no one in the world would ever know about, including the person that went through it. It's not something we got to touch on [this season]," though he implied that it would be covered eventually.

This story continues below the image.

Whedon also talked about how TV has changed since his earlier shows, including Buffy and Firefly. "Producing television has changed a lot more than I expected it to in five years," he said, adding: "And this, my old fat-guy reunion tour, ... it's changed because of the scramble that all of us are forced to go through to keep advertisers in the age of TiVo, to figure out how to use the Internet and webisodes. Everything behind the scenes must be documented."

Whedon added: "When I started Buffy, they weren't putting shows out on DVD. When I started Firefly, they weren't putting failed shows out on DVD. And now, you pretty much pick your nose and there's a DVD. ... So it's a little overwhelming, to say the least. Give us a director's cut, and then we'll cut there, and we'll have a B camera the whole time, and webisodes, and just turning on a television show is more than we can handle. And they keep saying, 'This will drive business for the show.' And I say, 'What if the show is crappy when they get there?' So, for me, I get a little shirky about it. Let's concentrate on what's important. ... [With Dollhouse] we don't have a longer cut because we have a longer show. The show is 10 minutes longer than traditional shows."

In Dollhouse, a top-secret organization wipes the memories of its agents, called "actives," then implants them with new personalities to perform "missions" for paying clients before wiping their memories again when they are finished. The show centers on Echo (Eliza Dushku), an active who is beginning to become self-aware.

Whedon, whose previous TV efforts were marked by a deft mix of humor and drama, acknowledged that the tone of Dollhouse is a bit darker, but insisted that humor would still be part of the mix. "There is actually a great deal of humor in the show," he said. "Not up front, because we wanted it to feel more realistic and more, sort of, now. ... But having said that, we devolve into idiocy rather quickly. It's what we do best." He laughed. "We're having fun with these characters." He says the funniest scenes are between FBI agent Paul Ballard (Tahmoh Penikett) and Echo, since every time she meets him is the first time for her.

Whedon also talked about other projects, including his much-discussed proposed horror movie Cabin in the Woods. He explained that recent comments about it were a joke and that this was his attempt to make a "balls-out" horror film. He didn't give any clues to the story or reveal whether the script that is currently making the rounds is a fake, as has been suggested.

We also asked him about Neil Patrick Harris' comments to SCI FI Wire about being interested in the possibility of a cameo role on Dollhouse. "I don't know if he's that talented," Whedon said, obviously joking. "Any chance to work with Neil ... I would jump at instantly. He apparently plays on another series [CBS' How I Met Your Mother]. But we have to make sure he knows that I know."

As for plans for a sequel to his Web hit Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog? "There are dreams, there are schemes," Whedon said. "We don't have anything planned yet."

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/nycc-joss-whedon-says-dollhouse-wont-shy-away-from-sex-issues.php

Pandora's_Box
February 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM
All Dolled Up: Joss Whedon Talks Dollhouse
source: Television Without Pity (http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/telefile/2009/02/all-dolled-up-joss-whedon-talk.php)

On network changes to the pilot:
"It wasn't so much a question of reworking what the show was as it was a question of reworking how we get into it. There were definitely some differences of opinion about what was going on and what we were going to stress in the show, but mostly it was about how do we bring the audience in, and once they had seen the pilot, the mandate was, 'Give us not just the world of the show, but the structure of the show.' The original pilot explained everything that happened, but came at it very sideways, and they said, "Let the audience see an engagement, so that they understand that every week she's going to go to a different place and be a different person and that they have that sense of structure." That part was simple enough. It was my idea to do a new pilot, because once I was clear on what it was they didn't have that I had planned to provide in the show anyway, it seemed like a no-brainer to give them something they could get behind more. But there was some real questioning about what exactly we wanted to get at in terms of the humanity and what they do and why people hire them, and there's a sexual aspect to it that makes some people nervous. Part of the mandate of the show is to make people nervous. It's to make them identify with people they don't like and get into situations that they don't approve of, and also look at some of the heroic side of things and wonder if maybe they were wrong about what motivated those, as well. So we're out to make people uncomfortable, but not maybe so much our bosses."

retiredat44
February 11th, 2009, 07:06 AM
To me this looks like other shows that have come and gone... or at least a mix of those:
like: My own worst enemy (was just cancelled recently) after less than a full season. Like some episode of SG1 or Stark Trek where they used some alien device to alter memories. I know there are many shows which did this, I just can't seem to remember them all. But, I can't judge until I see a few episodes. :jonas:

Madwelshboy
February 11th, 2009, 11:58 AM
'Dollhouse:' Will you come out to play?
Feb 11, 2009, 02:30 PM | by Lynette Rice

Categories: Television, To Care or Not to Care

We've seen the promos. We're read the reviews. We don't need convincing that Eliza Dushku is gorgeous and talented enough to headline her own show. So why does the outlook for Dollhouse, the latest mythology from Joss Whedon (debuts this Friday), seem marginal at best? It's the timeslot, stupid: Fox typically averages an anemic 5.5 million viewers on Friday, and given Whedon's niche appeal, Dollhouse may only generate an audience half that size. Plus, there are fears that a dense drama based around a protagonist who appears to have no free will could self-destruct by the third week. I mean, where do you go with a kooky conceit like that?

Then again, let's not forget the upside: Since expectations are soooo low for Fridays (heck, look at the staying power of Ghost Whisperer!), Fox may be patient with Dollhouse and give Whedon plenty of time to work out the kinks. After all, the even-denser Fringe had its fair share of naysayers last fall (many of whom work in our own offices), but Fox rolled with the punches, and now the series from the brilliant minds of Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman has blossomed into one helluva thrill ride (and damn ,that Joshua Jackson is truly sublime).

So will you join the millions (thousands?) of Whedon-ites this Friday at 9 p.m. ET (8 central!) to watch Dushku (pictured) kick some ass? Are the promos a turn on -- or off?

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02/dollhouse-will.html

SBN
February 11th, 2009, 12:19 PM
To me this looks like other shows that have come and gone... or at least a mix of those:
like: My own worst enemy (was just cancelled recently) after less than a full season. Like some episode of SG1 or Stark Trek where they used some alien device to alter memories. I know there are many shows which did this, I just can't seem to remember them all. But, I can't judge until I see a few episodes. :jonas:

This is exactly what I was thinking. I just do not see this show as offering anything new or original. Instead, it does seem to offer a concept that could very easily get tiresome. To be honest, this is really just an ego-vehicle for the actors to show their 'range'. Why in all these shows like Start Trek, SG1, etc. they love doing these episodes because they are simplistic, cheap, and the actors love them. But a whole series based upon what we see in a single episode of other shows? Not very inspiring. At this point the only thing it has going for it is that Whedon has a cult like following. But there simply is not enough of them to sustain a TV show, it has to draw in audiences from across the spectrum.

If this show is to last beyond this season, I guarantee you it will have to offer something much more. What exactly I do not know, and that is the point. If it sticks to rehashed formulas, then people are going to tune out.

With that said, I do hope it does offer something that can sustain it, because I know a lot of people have been waiting on this.

Pandora's_Box
February 11th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I think that if this were being described as a procedural drama wherein Dushku would just run around as a different character every week solving crimes, then, yes, this show would be doing nothing different and would be guilty of using a plot device over and over to keep itself "fresh".

But it's not. It seems form all that I've read about it that this show will be as much about the "behind the scenes"-ness and morality of continually reprogramming a person to suit the needs of other people as it will be about using Echo's different characters to create wacky stories.

Whedon has never been about keeping anything simply or mundane so I think we shouldn't expect that from this show either.

Doll Parts: Eliza Dushku Dishes on Life in the 'House
Source: Television Without Pity (http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/telefile/2009/02/doll-parts-eliza-dushku-dishes.php)

The show is being described as game-changing and mind-blowing. What about it is making people describe it that way?

ED: Well, it's provocative. It's disturbing in some ways. It's controversial. We're dealing with altering and programming people, and I think that that's a very sensitive topic, but I think that it's relevant. And I think that it's exciting, because I've always wanted to do work that has to do with us evolving and questioning -- making people uncomfortable, I guess. That's sort of what interesting storytelling is to me, is asking different questions and taking a closer look at desires and fantasies and taboos and sexuality, and these are all things that Joss and I initially discussed in our infamous first lunch, when we were talking about making a show. They were things that I knew he, as a creative genius -- which I truly believe he is -- had the ability and the imagination to create with me, and at the same time roll in a story that just puts those parts together tightly, cleverly, with drama and humor and pain and joy. Obviously, anyone who's known his work in Buffy, and then anyone who knows him as a person, knows that he's just all of those instruments. That's, I think, what makes this such an extraordinary show.

ShadowMaat
February 11th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Meh. I'm not particularly fussed about having ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY COMPLETELY 100% ORIGINAL CONCEPTS!! REALLY!!! I'm more interested in seeing how Joss skews it HIS way. Or skews it Fox's way, I suppose. ;)

If I were to be elitist about only ever watching shows that used never-before-seen-or-imagined ideas, well, I might as well throw out my television. LOL!

Krichton
February 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM
This show is so dead. For as long as I've been watching fox I don't think I've ever seen a show premiere on a friday. This is usually the timeslot reserved for shows that are on the way out.

ShadowMaat
February 12th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Hmm... While I do have a suspicion that Dollhouse is doomed I dunno that I'd list the Friday night slot as being the #1 threat. I'd say the concept is its biggest danger. Mainstream audiences do not generally favor ANYTHING with a scifi feel to it (Leper! Unclean!) and when they do go for anything fringe-y it's usually something safe and familiar, like the Terminator series (er, that is popular, isn't it?) or something where the weirdness takes more of a backseat like Fringe (or is that tanking in the ratings now?).

Joss tends to deliver good stuff, but he isn't really what I'd call conventional. I'd say the concern is whether or not folks will accept the tale he's trying to tell rather than when he's trying to tell it. ;)

I also think being on FOX isn't the best of signs, but I've had a hate-on for them that predates Joss' network woes, so I could be a bit biased. :P

Krichton
February 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM
The concept is what landed it on Friday. The rest will take care of itself. As for SCC it's joining Dollhouse on Friday. I'm pretty certain we all know what that means.

Madwelshboy
February 13th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Dushku: 'Dollhouse part a dream role'
Friday, February 13 2009, 10:24 GMT

By Mayer Nissim

Eliza Dushku has described her character in Joss Whedon's upcoming series Dollhouse as an ideal role.

The actress told the Boston Globe that she values Whedon and has done well when she has followed the director-writer in the past.

Dushku's most famous role was bad girl Faith in Whedon's hit show Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

She said: "It's a dream role because I'm constantly changing and I'm constantly on the move. I'm a little ADD.

"The idea of being in the same costumes every day is a little conventional for me. So when Joss and I sat down to talk about what we could do, we just thought 'Let's do everything.'"

Dollhouse will see Dushku playing a woman called Echo, whose memory has been wiped by a secret group so that she and the other 'Dolls' can be imprinted with new personalities and hired for missions.

Last year, it emerged that television network Fox had interfered with the series as well as changing its scheduling, but Dusku defended the revised script.

The show premieres in the US tonight.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a146583/dushku-dollhouse-part-a-dream-role.html

Angela V
February 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Dushku: 'Dollhouse part a dream role'
Friday, February 13 2009, 10:24 GMT

By Mayer Nissim

Eliza Dushku has described her character in Joss Whedon's upcoming series Dollhouse as an ideal role.

The actress told the Boston Globe that she values Whedon and has done well when she has followed the director-writer in the past.

Dushku's most famous role was bad girl Faith in Whedon's hit show Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

She said: "It's a dream role because I'm constantly changing and I'm constantly on the move. I'm a little ADD.

"The idea of being in the same costumes every day is a little conventional for me. So when Joss and I sat down to talk about what we could do, we just thought 'Let's do everything.'"

Dollhouse will see Dushku playing a woman called Echo, whose memory has been wiped by a secret group so that she and the other 'Dolls' can be imprinted with new personalities and hired for missions.

Last year, it emerged that television network Fox had interfered with the series as well as changing its scheduling, but Dusku defended the revised script.

The show premieres in the US tonight.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a146583/dushku-dollhouse-part-a-dream-role.html

Canadians can catch it on Fox or Global at 9pm tonight. :)

ShadowMaat
February 13th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Felicia Day (Penny in Doctor Horrible and Codex in the Guild) says she's gonna be in an upcoming ep. Can't wait!

Hermiiod
February 13th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I am hopeful that Joss Whedon learned from whatever mistakes led to Firefly being canceled and in turn, Dollhouse won't be doomed as well. Now, given Firefly being canceled wasn't really Joss Whedon's fault but you know what I mean.

Darren
February 13th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Hey kids -

We've just opened up a Dollhouse dedicated folder on the forum, so please feel free to start some new topic threads rather than keeping everything confined to this thread!

http://forum.gateworld.net/forumdisplay.php?f=149

We'll also have official episode discussion threads opened each Friday night.

Pic
February 14th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Hey kids -

We've just opened up a Dollhouse dedicated folder on the forum, so please feel free to start some new topic threads rather than keeping everything confined to this thread!

http://forum.gateworld.net/forumdisplay.php?f=149

We'll also have official episode discussion threads opened each Friday night.

Thanks!! :D

Dumper
February 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Dollhouse premiere ratings even worse than expected.

The rest is here (http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/dollhouse-premiere-ratings-even-worse-than-expected.php).

Madwelshboy
February 15th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Dollhouse premiere ratings even worse than expected.

The rest is here (http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/dollhouse-premiere-ratings-even-worse-than-expected.php).

This has been posted and is being discussed in the dollhouse ratings thread, found here:- http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=64255

Dumper
February 16th, 2009, 11:57 AM
This has been posted and is being discussed in the dollhouse ratings thread, found here:- http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=64255

Oops sorry. :o