Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was it right for Sam to OK the rescue mission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was it right for Sam to OK the rescue mission?

Let's see what they knew about what John's current situation:
    * Attacked and kidnapped by unknown enemies with a ship strong enough to take down a Jumper.
    * Not the Wraith or Asurans (at least not the ship that attacked the jumper) and how the Hell did they get the readings for what attacked John if the Travelers brought the Jumper with them, anyway?
    * Enemies possessed Hyperdrive technology.
    * Enemies possess an Ancient warship, Aurora-class, as such, they're obviously. not Ancients stuck in time like in "The Return" since they shot at John's Jumper.
    * Enemies have unknown fleet of ships and are
    * Distress signal could be a trap

Yet, Sam OK:ed the rescue mission. Was it a right call and was it hypocritical in comparison to when she didn't want to go after Elizabeth?

well she knew that sheppard had sent an SOS. So he obviously needed help and she probably also realised that sheppard would not asked to be rescued if there was too much danger. He wouldn't just put his people in harms way like that so she probably ok'd it based on that.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
      * Attacked and kidnapped by unknown enemies with a ship strong enough to take down a Jumper.
      * Not the Wraith or Asurans (at least not the ship that attacked the jumper) and how the Hell did they get the readings for what attacked John if the Travelers brought the Jumper with them, anyway?
      * Enemies possess an Ancient warship, Aurora-class, as such, they're obviously. not Ancients stuck in time like in "The Return" since they shot at John's Jumper.

Yet, Sam OK:ed the rescue mission. Was it a right call and was it hypocritical in comparison to when she didn't want to go after Elizabeth?
      yet again your moaning about this episode. Wier is taken over by the repicator's and they cannot be trusted sheppard is human and trustable they didnt know that possess a Ancient Warship Aurora-class
      i think sam did one right thing for once. but still cant w8 till she leave's but thats my point of view

Comment

We don't even have any evidence that she made the decision. I suppose she did, but it could have been all McKay in Carter's absence. Other than preview clips from next week's episode, we don't even know if Carter's dead or alive in this one. Not that I'm complaining.

Comment

Atlantis knows that Sheppard wouldn't have sent the SOS if he thought they couldn't handle the situation. Where as she would not okay a mission to go after Weir because they didn't even have a plan as to how to fight his way through an entire replicator city. On the other hand they had a perfectly valid plan to get him back in this episode - Send 5 coaked jumpers over there and see what the situation is. This time they had the element of surprise so even if there was a large element of danger (which is what it turned into thanks to the Traveler's ships finding the Ancient warship which was impossible to predict) so they wouldn't have their weapons knocked out before they had time to do something which is what happened to Sheppard.

The Stargate was active and Atlantis' sensors picked up the radiation burst that the hyperspace window made.

Atlantis didn't know they had an Ancient warship. Rodney only discovered that after they were several hours away from the planet. At which point he also discovered that it didn't have shields so he could disable it and buy them some time.

They didn't know that at all. They could've had one bomber sized ship for all they knew, but worst case scenario their drones are usually extremely effective. And again, they were cloaked and knew that Sheppard wouldn't have called them in if he didn't think they could handle it.

It is extremely unlikely that the enemy would get Sheppard to explain morse code to them so they could lure Atlantis in and again cloaks are effective even against Ancient sensors so they had the element of surprise and could determine what the situation was in safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
            We don't even have any evidence that she made the decision. I suppose she did, but it could have been all McKay in Carter's absence. Other than preview clips from next week's episode, we don't even know if Carter's dead or alive in this one. Not that I'm complaining.
            Agreed. We have absolutely no idea where Carter is in this ep. Just another example of poor continuity. For all we know, she's gone to earth for blue Jell-O, or went out to have a look around and her transmitter's batteries are shot. I mean, a few seconds of a mention from McKay would have cleared it up, but no...

Comment

There is no relation to the Elizabeth situation here. The Replicators have Elizabeth and they have no chance of finding her within the huge constructs that are the Replicator cities and no weapons that work on the Replicators anymore. If they got caught, the Replicators would do the hand-in-the-head thing and Atlantis would be compromised.

Sheppard sends an SOS so they can assume there is some chance of rescue. They know about where he is. They are pretty sure that he was not shot at by the Wraith or the replicators. They do not know about the Ancient warship. They go in cloaked to see what the situation is.

Considering everything they have done before, why wouldn’t a leader approve such a mission to ascertain the viability of rescuing a valued officer?

Originally posted by VastlySuperiorStuff View Post
              We have absolutely no idea where Carter is in this ep. Just another example of poor continuity. For all we know, she's gone to earth for blue Jell-O, or went out to have a look around and her transmitter's batteries are shot. I mean, a few seconds of a mention from McKay would have cleared it up, but no...
              Who cares? I don’t think a leader needs to be present to okay a mission to know they have. Every episode does not need a leader presence. I certainly don’t think we need to hear “you have a go” before every mission.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
                [FONT=Verdana]<snip>
                Who cares? I don’t think a leader needs to be present to okay a mission to know they have. Every episode does not need a leader presence. I certainly don’t think we need to hear “you have a go” before every mission.
                Perhaps in your world, but in the world of SGA, this would have been okayed by the person in charge. This is not an ordinary mission- this is the leader of their main off-world team in trouble. The commanding officer needs to be informed of it immediately. She might disagree with the plan, or not. But to think a rescue mission wouldn't need a high-level go-ahead is not very realistic.

And not that SGA bears any resemblance to SG-1, but how many times did Hammond nix a rescue mission O'Neill wanted to do? More than once. Things are not always as obvious as they seem. That's what CO's are for.

Comment

Originally posted by VastlySuperiorStuff View Post
                  Perhaps in your world, but in the world of, this would have been okayed by the person in charge. This is not an ordinary mission- this is the leader of their main off-world team in trouble. The commanding officer needs to be informed of it immediately. She might disagree with the plan, or not. But to think a rescue mission wouldn't need a high-level go-ahead is not very realistic.
                  Read it again. I didn’t say a leader doesn’t need to okay a mission, I said we don’t need to hear it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yup, you're right. I misread.
                    However, I still think it inserts a lack of continuity. We don't need to hear it, but it's better to hear it, because it just seems odd that there wouldn't be some kind of discussion. To me, it makes it look like Rodney came up with this on his own.

Comment

And what wouyld be wrong with that>?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        And what wouyld be wrong with that>?
                        Sarcasm? I can't tell.

Comment

take down or shutdown a jumper? They scanned the planet so obviously they knew it wasnt destroyed and they also got the message proving he'd been captured

Yeah so their two worst enemys werent involved. Might have been the genii for all they knew and they have stealthed puddle jumpers so theya re undetectable. Also if you had watched the episode properly McKay said the hyper drive signature wasnt Wraith or asuran

and this would affect their decision how?

They only found this out AFTER they got there

Once again they only foudn this out once they got there

Yep because aliens from another galaxy all know morse code

Even if they couldnt retrieve john they would at least have new intel on the new advanced race in the galaxy
                          sigpic

Comment

Apples vs. oranges.

The situations aren't even close to being comparable and several of your "facts" are completely off-kilter.

So is Sam hypocritical for giving a rescue mission that had a plan that actually stood a chance of succeeding a go while rejecting a completely different mission which would have effectively been a suicide mission?

I'm going to have to say "no."

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Carter wasn't even IN the episode.

It's your supposition that Carter ok'd the rescue mission.

The writers are under no obligation to explain everything to the viewer.

Carter could have been on Earth, attending an IOA briefing, or a briefing with the President, or attending Cassie's University graduation, or any number of things.

Whoever made the decision, the circumstances were totally different.

They knew where Elizabeth was, and who she was being held captive by. The Asurans are a known threat.

In Shep's case, he was missing. The right call was to send a rescue mission.

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                              SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                              Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X