PDA

View Full Version : Larrin is a Bad Character

kali1
October 31st, 2007, 07:25 PM
Ok....this HAD to be done. Since Keller has her Anti thread, I figured Larrin needed one too.

Larrin is one of the worst characters in SGA history. Why ohhh why couldn't they have kept Elizabeth instead of creating Larrin? It makes no sense http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/sarge/Whatever_anim.gif

AutumnDream
October 31st, 2007, 07:32 PM
Archetypical tough female rogue chick, right down to the leather outfit. I suppose that the "touch of vulnerability" is supposed to make her a brilliant literary figure, but she's really just a cardboard cutout so far. It makes for a very dull viewing experience, and I somehow doubt there will be an episode down the line that'll give her some semblance of depth or interest.

mcbarr
October 31st, 2007, 07:36 PM
Vala was so much better in the original episode. :D

parisindy
October 31st, 2007, 07:38 PM

LMAO McBarr you rock hehehehehehehehe

kali1
October 31st, 2007, 07:44 PM

Yeah....she was. :valaanime06:

SaberBlade
October 31st, 2007, 07:52 PM
Oh hell no. I'd suffer Larrin any time over Vala, especially when Vala first appeared.

FallenAngelII
November 1st, 2007, 12:21 AM
While Vala was too over-the-top when she was first introduced, at least all of her flirting was playful and there was no reciprocation.

You guys do know that Larrin will be back, right? In "All My Sins Remembered". Joe Flanigan also said he realy liked their "chemistry" so we'll likely see more Kirking or at least flirting.

The stupidest part of her character is that she's this tough woman who has no qualms about torture and exposing her own people to deadly radiation but the minute she goes up against a Wraith, she's at first stunned and fumbles with her weapon (1st encounter) or just too stupid to not run away from it while unarmed (2nd encounter), both times having to get saved by John.

SaberBlade
November 1st, 2007, 12:58 AM
While Vala was too over-the-top when she was first introduced, at least all of her flirting was playful and there was no reciprocation.

You guys do know that Larrin will be back, right? In "All My Sins Remembered". Joe Flanigan also said he realy liked their "chemistry" so we'll likely see more Kirking or at least flirting.

The stupidest part of her character is that she's this tough woman who has no qualms about torture and exposing her own people to deadly radiation but the minute she goes up against a Wraith, she's at first stunned and fumbles with her weapon (1st encounter) or just too stupid to not run away from it while unarmed (2nd encounter), both times having to get saved by John.

Well what do you expect. Sheppard has to save the damsel in distress. If he didn't, and wasn't able to prove he was tougher then he'd be shown up by a woman. What type of main character would that make him.

Although I have to admit, the only good thing about Vala in "Prometheus Unbound" was that Jackson wasn't letting Little Danny control his actions, unlike Little Johnny.

Wraith_Boy
November 1st, 2007, 07:50 AM
Ok....this HAD to be done. Since Keller has her Anti thread, I figured Larrin needed one too.

Larrin is one of the worst characters in SGA history. Why ohhh why couldn't they have kept Elizabeth instead of creating Larrin? It makes no sense http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/sarge/Whatever_anim.gif

What does Keller having one have to do with Larrin? :Majorly Confused:

1) Keller is a main member of the expedition. She's in at least 8 eps of S4, while Larrin is in only 2.

2) Keller came in & replaced a beloved already established character that was stupidly killed off. Larrin did not replace anybody.

3) Larrin is HOT, HOT, HOT! While Keller is [mod snip]

As to your second bit. Larrin has nothing to do with Weir, it was Carter who came in to be the new leader. So it's her that took Weir's spot in & on Atlantis. However ultimately it isn't down to AT the actress or Carter the character. JM has already said they were getting rid of Weir no matter what, if it hadn't been Carter that was in charge, it would have been somebody else anyhow.

If they gave Larrins 2 eps to Weir, they would have had to involve the Asurans. When brings up the fact of how could they have introduced the Travelers? Which is the whole reason they wanted a new advanced race in S4 because of the fact that the galaxy has been devoid of any real advanced human races up till this point.

g.o.d
November 1st, 2007, 08:36 AM

I was thinking the same when I saw her. Larrin is just a very bad copy of Vala

SGFerrit
November 1st, 2007, 08:38 AM
I was let down. I expected to like her more. Joe M's eps seem to have greatly improved, but it doesn't look like Paul's have as much... I enjoyed Travelers, and I don't hate Larrin... But I expected to enjoy them alot more. S4 is excellent so far, better than any season yet, but This could have all worked so much better. Hopefully she will have improved by BAMSR.

SGFerrit
November 1st, 2007, 08:38 AM
I was thinking the same when I saw her. Larrin is just a very bad copy of Vala

Now I do however disagree with this. They are nothing alike.

blue-skyz
November 1st, 2007, 08:47 AM
I agree, Larrin is a bad copy of Vala. God forbid Atlantis ever has to suffer through a silly character like Vala. ;)

prion
November 1st, 2007, 08:50 AM
I might have liked Larrin better if they'd had a better actress. For all I know, J Wagner is better (I mean, corin Nemec can do a better job than how he did Jonas Quinn, after all), but lots of her delivery of lines just fell flat. Sorry, but high heels, tight outfits and low cut outfits only go so far....

g.o.d
November 1st, 2007, 08:58 AM
I agree, Larrin is a bad copy of Vala. God forbid Atlantis ever has to suffer through a silly character like Vala. ;)

Vala's great

tombraider
November 1st, 2007, 09:51 AM

I could not agree more! She was spanking fun! A combination of witty writing and Claudia's brilliant delivery. And she did have chemistry with Daniel, unlike Larrin and Shep, whatever Joe Flanigan is saying. Actually, when he is talking about their great chemistry, he means there was chemistry while they were working together. That does not always project on screen. In this sad case it DID NOT. Due to very poor writing in the first place. It was so bad, that actually it is hard to say whether the actress was bad because of it, or she is not a great actress either.

I think this character would have been better if she was slightly older, projecting more command and experience. A lady from Starship Troopers comes to mind, the captain of the ship where Carmen was in pilot training.

And the black leather cleavage outfit was cringeworthy. It is like they wanted to put in all the stereotypes thay could think about. Where is originality, people? After all, it is another galaxy, something must be different.

I hope she will be killed off in the fifth season (how about those vicious snake creatures on the mainland? ;) ) and Elizabeth is back and miraculously healed from nanites. Maybe they should rent a Goa'uld sarcophagus?

mcbarr
November 1st, 2007, 10:11 AM
IMHO, JW was miscast as Larrin just as JS was miscast as Keller. I have nothing against both actresses, though. :)

ToasterOnFire
November 1st, 2007, 10:38 AM
My main disappointment with Larrin is that she was largely defined by her interest in Shep or ability to whump Shep instead of her leadership responsibilities and her people. And I'm so tired of seeing guest starring women either get the hots for Shep, get lusted after by McKay, or both. I thought we were over that after s2. Guess not. :S

nowvoyager908
November 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM
I just didn’t see Larrin as leadership material. This is a show that throws down the realism card whenever they want an excuse to kill someone off. ;) In light of that, to have such a lightweight as the leader of a nomadic people struggling to survive just doesn’t compute. IMHO, Teyla, despite her wallpaper status, projected an aura of authority in her first scene . . . before she barely said a word. With Larrin . . . .she could just as easily been pitching a hissy fit while on a Paris shopping spree for all the leadership vibe I sensed. :S

WingedPegasus
November 1st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Larrin is annoying. We don't need smutty jokes please, thank you. :S

Yay4CarsonBeckett
November 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
I was waiting for Larrin to spit on the ground and tell Sheppard to 'Suck my..." ala GI Jane.

I didn't really like her at all.

krash
November 2nd, 2007, 10:53 PM
Since Keller has her Anti thread, I figured Larrin needed one too.
What kind of catty, "I didn't get pick for junior high homecoming queen...so I'll bash on anyone who reminds me of the lil witch who did win, in the vain effort of giving myself the warm and fuzzy hug none of the boys ever did" answer is that?

Since I'm sorta new to these parts, I'll show the same courtesy I try to show on other sci-fi genre boards...by answering the original question:

Why ohhh why couldn't they have kept Elizabeth instead of creating Larrin? It makes no sense
It makes perfect sense...if you willing to let the show grow beyond the 60mins while they reloaded SG1 for the late night repeat.

Personally, I think the fact that Larrin could care less about Speppard's "Kirk-ness" and even managed to turn it on him with that stunner trick is a GOOD thing...cause they've finally come across the one (non-Wraith Queen) who doesn't swoon for the man in black like everyone else. And I'm interested in seeing more of Larrin, and whether or not she takes up Sheppard's offer of an "alliance" cause she clearly is motivated by saving the lives of her people...just like Sheppard is with his. Will she do it?... or will the fangirls try and get her disqualified as "Atlantis Prom Queen 2008" because she looks better in that outfit then all the girls on this board would? Tune in next week to find out!

Look, I've been a fan of Weir ever since the show began...but once the diplomacy thing wasn't gonna happen, all she ended up doing was being the administrative :hammond: who gets to tell all the cool kids "you have a go" to go off on some other adventure through the stargate :sheppard::ronan::teyla: ("yeah, let's all go through the Stargate"). They couldn't even let the girl go on a date, cause all you girls were rushing to the bathroom in groups gibber-jabbering about how "sparky" destined Sheppard and Weir were...only if they did that, you'd want them seperated, cause that would kill all your other possible fantasy scenarios.

And to compare Larrin to Vala :vala: is a loaded question; because Claudia had the advantage of a well established fan-base (who often had the Sci-Fi Channel programmed into their remote) because of "Farscape" (I know, because I'm one of them). It's why Ben :cameron: had a much easier time being accepted as part of the main cast "replacing" the immortal Richard Dean Anderson :jack: (forgive me if I forget to observe some ancient Tokra reitual when uttering his real life name) .

In other words, "why couldn't they have kept Weir" because rather then let the same old some olds keep repeating themselves...they wanted to expand the characters that WERE going somewhere and introduce a few new ones along the way. Otherwise, this show wouldn't make it another season and we can all watch Flash Gordon double-headers....

Anybody want that? If so, go stand in front of a Stargate as the wormhole opens up!

SGFerrit
November 3rd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Her second appearance is written by Martin Gero, not Paul Mullie, so hopefully she will be more like-able.

I feel kinda scared because Mullie wrote the season finale...

PG15
November 3rd, 2007, 07:08 PM
Nah, nothing to worry about there. M&M are usually pretty good when it comes to finales and premiers (i.e. Siege Part 2, Camelot, Quest Part 2, etc.)

ToasterOnFire
November 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah...not exactly building up my confidence there, PG. :P

I can only hope that Larrin improves in her second ep, since I wasn't very impressed with her character as a leader. Not really looking forward to any future possibilities of her making googly eyes at Shep either...

KiLL3r
November 3rd, 2007, 07:38 PM
i like her. I thinks its funny how she acts all tough but when it comes to action she chokes (ie wraith encounter)

and shes HOT!

i demand more kirking!

vaberella
November 4th, 2007, 12:00 AM

I'm no fan of DW, and I abhor Katie (her snow white syndrome irks me to no end); but yeah, I'm not liking Larrin. Oh geeze, am I not liking this character and I think it's mainly becase the actress didn't sell me the character. She was just...bleh!! (I'm not saying she's a bad actress by any stretch of the imagination). There was no real emotion emanating from the character, her connection with Shep lacked in chemistry it was difficult to watch; she seemed totally unconnected with her people---I was really lost over what I was supposed to get.

Not to mention Larrin's character was not only affected by the acting I was given, but also by the storyline which I found totally weak and just all over the place. There was no balance but a mis-match of ideas thrown together and hoping it would work. I wasn't impressed at all by this ep, and I never have a problem with John with his kirkettes (keeping in mind she was really nothing more than a kirkette, ie in the ranks of Noreena, Chaya, and Teer).

Her leadership was lack luster and didn't have any real decisiveness, her mannerisms were peculiar and she gave me the impression of being seriously horny. I just didn't get her...doing it for her people and then not really getting any emotion in regards to her people. She just seemed wishy-washy. :S

SoulReaver
November 4th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Larrin is a Bad Characterdamn right she's bad http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/hugobios.gif

FallenAngelII
November 5th, 2007, 01:18 AM
I doubt that the fact that Gero has written "Be All My Sins Remembered" will make her any more likable... or at least much more likable.

After all, since Mullie has established her character as "Tough on the outside but useless in a fight against the Wraith, constant spouter of double entendres and sexual innuendo in a creepy slutty way and flirty and slutty when it suits her needs", going against all of that would make her out of character.

So unless they're gonna try to sell us a line like "Well, she's changed a lot in the past few months", she'll probably still flirt.

Not to mention that Joe Flanigan said that "they had great chemistry" and I think he also said that said chemistry will be revisited in "Be All My Sins...".

Yeah... I'm not looking forward to it, either.

stclare
November 5th, 2007, 04:27 AM
I doubt that the fact that Gero has written "Be All My Sins Remembered" will make her any more likable... or at least much more likable.

After all, since Mullie has established her character as "Tough on the outside but useless in a fight against the Wraith, constant spouter of double entendres and sexual innuendo in a creepy slutty way and flirty and slutty when it suits her needs", going against all of that would make her out of character.

So unless they're gonna try to sell us a line like "Well, she's changed a lot in the past few months", she'll probably still flirt.

Not to mention that Joe Flanigan said that "they had great chemistry" and I think he also said that said chemistry will be revisited in "Be All My Sins...".

yes that whole chemistry thing worries me, as i saw no chemistry on screen at all. it made the inuendo just blahh.

Phantom Limb
November 5th, 2007, 04:47 AM
i dont think she was a bad character she was just really badly written in fact the ep as a whole was badly written.
what was with all the innuendo?! a strong female leader of an entire race of people and she's useless in fight and goes weak at the knee's because she might get introduced to shep's octagon. just no.
all is not lost if the writers pull their collective fingers out of their ears and stop going, blah blah blah blah im not listening, blah blah blah.
but if this "darker" season is anything to go by so far it probably is concerning her character.
yet another missed opportunity for Atlantis.

FallenAngelII
November 5th, 2007, 05:00 AM
i dont think she was a bad character she was just really badly written in fact the ep as a whole was badly written.
what was with all the innuendo?! a strong female leader of an entire race of people and she's useless in fight and goes weak at the knee's because she might get introduced to shep's octagon. just no.
all is not lost if the writers pull their collective fingers out of their ears and stop going, blah blah blah blah im not listening, blah blah blah.
but if this "darker" season is anything to go by so far it probably is concerning her character.
yet another missed opportunity for Atlantis.
Bad fictional characters are bad fictional characters because they're badly written.

Phantom Limb
November 5th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Bad fictional characters are bad fictional characters because they're badly written.

right yeah, what did i write then? oh i see, yes what i mean is the premise of her character would be a good addition for Atlantis but the execution was crappy as detailed in my post :)

squire.spotz
November 5th, 2007, 05:34 AM
can the writers at least memo themslves not to copy Atlantis when writing new atlantis episodes.

Larrin is teyla with attitude who lives in a spaceship rather than on a planet.
please. when change of location is all that differs characters why bother.

also unpregnant teyla would smash larrin in a fight. so would sora that genii person. she is probably equal with wier. seriously

witers different location of origin and costuming dosent make a character unique

stclare
November 5th, 2007, 07:09 AM
can the writers at least memo themslves not to copy Atlantis when writing new atlantis episodes.

Larrin is teyla with attitude who lives in a spaceship rather than on a planet.
please. when change of location is all that differs characters why bother.

also unpregnant teyla would smash larrin in a fight. so would sora that genii person. she is probably equal with wier. seriously

witers different location of origin and costuming dosent make a character unique

Actually i think red shirt number 7 could take her ;) i didnt take her bad ass routine seriousley at all.
I dont know wether a more mature actress would have worked better and i dont mean just in years. shouldnt someone in charge of a people be more adult and more compelling? i didnt feel any of those things. although i got that from Teylas character when she was introduced not just by the words but with the weight of how they were said.

:S

vaberella
November 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM

JF actually said "they had great chemistry"?! At that point I think he's gone absolutely mad. There's no way that was possible. I saw nothing and I normally see heated intensity between him and his kirkettes. I'll never forget him and Chaya...they made me uncomfortable with their intensity. Even that looney tune Teer, who was like the quintessential "Play Misty For Me" joker, had some undeniable intensity with John (or I saw it as such). I even felt him and Noreena...so there's no way there was chemistry between Larrin and John.

I mean Larrin couldn't even display proper depth of emotion to have any sort of energy with John. Is there a strong group of people who saw this fictional chemistry? I'm lost. I really thought Larrin was one of the most poorly executed guest characters, far worse than Lucius (Irresistable)...and I definitely saw him having chemistry with John.

FallenAngelII
November 6th, 2007, 12:46 AM
"In fact, Jill will be back to do the mid-season two-parter where, for a second time, Sheppard and Larrin will have to work together." — Joe Flanigan

Um... yeah... whatever.

Willow'sCat
November 6th, 2007, 01:00 AM
JF actually said "they had great chemistry"?! At that point I think he's gone absolutely mad. There's no way that was possible. I saw nothing and I normally see heated intensity between him and his kirkettes. Thing you have to remember once they make the huge mistake of hiring them and shooting an ep and realising 'hey we screwed up again... no chemistry!' there really is nothing they can do but try and convince fans that 'no really they do have chemistry look she has even less clothes on now!'

Maybe that explains the skin-flick that was The Tower. ;):p

Rodney and John still win with the smokin' chemistry on SGA imho. :);)

I actually don't mind Larrin btw. :S *ducks*

FallenAngelII
November 6th, 2007, 01:05 AM
The question remains, why the Heck is Larrin in BAMSR?! The Atlantis Expedition is teaming up with the Wraith to take down what appears to be the Asurans. Why the Hell would the Travelers go along with that?!

Willow'sCat
November 6th, 2007, 01:11 AM
The question remains, why the Heck is Larrin in BAMSR?! The Atlantis Expedition is teaming up with the Wraith to take down what appears to be the Asurans. Why the Hell would the Travelers go along with that?!
Maybe they are tired... of not having real food or want to get their hands on better Ships, they will obviously be promised something for their help, I am more interested in what help they can possibly offer 'us' they have no real food or Ships after all! :p But does it matter are we seriously contemplating this 'plan' will work? The other's never do. :SIsn't this off-topic?

vaberella
November 6th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Thing you have to remember once they make the huge mistake of hiring them and shooting an ep and realising 'hey we screwed up again... no chemistry!' there really is nothing they can do but try and convince fans that 'no really they do have chemistry look she has even less clothes on now!'

Maybe that explains the skin-flick that was The Tower. ;):p

Rodney and John still win with the smokin' chemistry on SGA imho. :);)

I actually don't mind Larrin btw. :S *ducks*

*headshot by a tomato attack*

Ugh, she's a waste of air and she was crap. But I see your point WC. Because I don't understand how she was seen as having chemistry. I do adore the McShep chemistry, but in my naughty fantasies I keep seeing SEX (Shep/Dex). :D

She's crap and I'm about to give up on the women their choosing. I still see no one has ever really come close to the cats in S1, like Allina from The Brotherhood, Perna from Poisoning the Well, or Chaya from Sanctuary. The women have been worthless scum as of late (Teer made me nervous, and Noreena was worthless when I had high hopes for her). I don't get what's going on with picking some great ladies, or just bringing the old ones back to cause some drama at least.

Between Larrin and Katie Brown, my acid reflux is just never at rest. :(

cocytus
November 6th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Yes...the Larrin character was a unique amalgam of badly written AND badly acted...
The Travellers being introduced raised several awkward questions....

1) Wouldn't they need a planet to store spare parts/grow food.etc...do things that would be extremely difficult in space?
2) Wouldn't they (Travellers) have seen the value of an alliance w/ the Genii before now?
3) Why can the Wraith seem to find the Atlantis crew so often and yet seemingly have difficulty finding a SPACEFARING race in their own galaxy?
4) Why introduce a race that seems to have MORE problems than the Atlantis crew?

Sorry to get off-topic....
Larrin sucks...LOL

Avenger
November 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM
One episode isn't enough screen time to get a good read on a characters. Yeah, the character has flaws that are quite evident, but that doesn't make for a bad character. Every character has flaws of some kind.

SierraGolf-OneNiner
November 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Yes...the Larrin character was a unique amalgam of badly written AND badly acted...
The Travellers being introduced raised several awkward questions....

1) Wouldn't they need a planet to store spare parts/grow food.etc...do things that would be extremely difficult in space?
2) Wouldn't they (Travellers) have seen the value of an alliance w/ the Genii before now?
3) Why can the Wraith seem to find the Atlantis crew so often and yet seemingly have difficulty finding a SPACEFARING race in their own galaxy?
4) Why introduce a race that seems to have MORE problems than the Atlantis crew?

Sorry to get off-topic....
Larrin sucks...LOL

I fully agree with you on Larrin.

I asked myself some of those questions myself.
1) If I remember correctly Larrin said that they have people on planets too.
2) Beats me. Plot hole?
3) I asked this myself a hundred times over and over. Pegasus isn't as big as the Milky Way. You would think that by the sheer number of wraith in Pegasus they must have noticed them. Again plot hole imo.
4) To make our guys look better? :) Which completely failed in my opinion. Thanks to this episode I lost every last respect I had for John.

This is one of those episodes like Irresistible that I wouldn't miss if they would forget to put it on the next DVD Set.

FallenAngelII
November 6th, 2007, 01:22 PM
One episode isn't enough screen time to get a good read on a characters. Yeah, the character has flaws that are quite evident, but that doesn't make for a bad character. Every character has flaws of some kind.
One episode is quite enough if the character is well written.

This character was riddled with flaws. Of course it's a bad character.

vaberella
November 6th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I fully agree with you on Larrin.

I asked myself some of those questions myself.
1) If I remember correctly Larrin said that they have people on planets too.
2) Beats me. Plot hole?
3) I asked this myself a hundred times over and over. Pegasus isn't as big as the Milky Way. You would think that by the sheer number of wraith in Pegasus they must have noticed them. Again plot hole imo.
4) To make our guys look better? :) Which completely failed in my opinion. Thanks to this episode I lost every last respect I had for John.

This is one of those episodes like Irresistible that I wouldn't miss if they would forget to put it on the next DVD Set.

1) No, she didn't say they had people on planets, just that they had trading allies on planets. When they needed supplies they would trade what they had obtained in their traveler's with the villagers for food and anything else they may need (such as black leather :S).

2) Not necessarily. Larrin never said she knew the Genii and even if she did know the Genii she's space based and their land based. Keep in mind Larrin's people don't necessarily look like nor did they mention they were Wraith figthers. The Genii have a team set up not only to protect themselves but also to get as much information on the wraith for their ultimate destruction. This is what is so corny about Larrin's people, they're turkeys. All they do is run away from the wraith not fight the wraith. Their ship is used to dodge. Now the wraith could totally attack the ship but they can also go into hyperspace----from my knowledge I don't think the wraith can ( please correct me if I'm incorrect). Another reason her character and her people were lousy. They were just important in the fact that they had ship and volume of people.

3)Well first off I have to ask a question when it was stated that the Pegasus Galaxy was smaller than the Milky Way Galaxy? Did they find a mathematical equation as to how much room there is in the Milky Way in SG1, I ask because I don't think they solved that in real life. So the Peggy is a bit different since I think they haven't actually found out how big it really is...was this mentioned in The Brotherhood/Poisoning the Well?

As for the original question as to why the Wraith were not able to find space faring people versus a people who are situated in one place such as Atlantis Ex. That's easy enough. Spacefaring is spacefaring...meaning they move from one place to another. So they may have come across the Traveler's that doesn't mean that they engaged them in battle or even if they did come across. I'm sure the Traveler's have some sort of "cloaking" device, and I'm they have hyperspace drive thingy. That being said, besides Michael's ship at one point, I don't think the Wraith have hyperspace capabilities since they have to make stops. Lastly, I don't think that a wraith ship can detect a cloaked ship...that being said, the Traveler's had an easy out.

While in the case of Atlantis it was based on an Island. Further more, the Atlantis Ex had many military/scientist/athosian guide groups that go to various planets at once and people disclosing information. Think of DW in Progeny, or of Carson in Irresistable; or recently of Ronon's people. Then think of who some are connected with. Teyla's people would know of other Atlantis' location and who knows what information is being exchanged, then you have a culling where information can be extracted from the minds of people but in the case of Atlantis it was through stupidity and Michael knew of the location and they went under attack the second time (or really threatened). The first was just a wraith dart through great amount of data collecting. Keep in mind without tons of zpms Atlantis is a sitting duck which can't cloak,just have a shield.

So spacefaring makes out better than ducks chillin' in the pond.

4) I agree marginally with your statement. I adore John and the character has tons of potential. I thought John was fantatistic this season as I thought he was great last season until I saw Travelers. I feltthe writers really dropped the ball and I had to deal with John from S2. He was just stupid on so many levels it made me sick. That doesn't mean I lost love for him, just I had disappointment. There is plenty of eps left, 14 to be exact where I can have tons of great John moments. So this won't be a slight I hold against the character. But I hope never to see it again.

I wouldn't miss this ep either if it was in a DVD set, they could totally ignore it and give me a tape on bloopers, outtakes, and commentary alone and I that would suffice to make up the room for that missing ep.

SierraGolf-OneNiner
November 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM
3)Well first off I have to ask a question when it was stated that the Pegasus Galaxy was smaller than the Milky Way Galaxy? Did they find a mathematical equation as to how much room there is in the Milky Way in SG1, I ask because I don't think they solved that in real life. So the Peggy is a bit different since I think they haven't actually found out how big it really is...was this mentioned in The Brotherhood/Poisoning the Well?

In the pilot Daniel said that the Ancients went to a dwarf galaxy in our local group. Namely Pegasus. Imo dwarf means little or small. But english isn't my native tongue. So if dwarf has more meanings than those please let me know.:)

vaberella
November 6th, 2007, 02:26 PM
In the pilot Daniel said that the Ancients went to a dwarf galaxy in our local group. Namely Pegasus. Imo dwarf means little or small. But english isn't my native tongue. So if dwarf has more meanings than those please let me know.:)

No it means small, I just needed to know where that came from. Thanks! My other statements still stand.

drusila87
November 7th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by vaberella
JF actually said "they had great chemistry"?! At that point I think he's gone absolutely mad. There's no way that was possible. I saw nothing and I normally see heated intensity between him and his kirkettes.

I agree!;)
I don´t like Larrin. I think that there are another ways to develop the strong-lider woman character.
And, if we are talking about chemystry, I prefer the chemystry between Sheppard and Weir or Sheppard and Teyla. This women are more real. Larrin is more like a bad case of warrior princess with a very sexy dress.:p

Wraithboy:
What does Keller having one have to do with Larrin? :Majorly Confused:

1) Keller is a main member of the expedition. She's in at least 8 eps of S4, while Larrin is in only 2.

2) Keller came in & replaced a beloved already established character that was stupidly killed off. Larrin did not replace anybody.

As to your second bit. Larrin has nothing to do with Weir, it was Carter who came in to be the new leader. So it's her that took Weir's spot in & on Atlantis.

You are right. At the first time I also think "What does Keller having one have to do with Larrin?".
But if you think on it, you´ll understand what is Kali trying to say.

Yes, Keller comes to replace Carson (My beloved Carson!) who was stupidly killed off.
But Weir is also a beloved character who was also killed off without any good reason, and in this case, the replacement is more complicated.

What I want to say is that Keller replaces Carson, but to replace Elizabeth the producers and writers use more than 1 character.
In the "lider" aspect they put Carter in charge.
And in an attempt to mimic the "strong woman lider-strong man lider with sexual tension" relationship that she had with Sheppard they use Larrin, or a few times Teyla.
I know there are a lot of people who don´t like Weir, but I have to say that the Weir-Sheppard relationship is more interesting and mature than this moments between Sheppard and his "kirkettes".:sheppard::weir:

However ultimately it isn't down to AT the actress or Carter the character. JM has already said they were getting rid of Weir no matter what, if it hadn't been Carter that was in charge, it would have been somebody else anyhow..

Yes. And with all my respects: "Do you believe it???"
Because I love Sam and Amanda, but it seems like they put off Weir only to put carter in charge.

Integrabyte
November 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM
If JM wants to see chemistry he should watch Vala and Daniel. Prometheus Unbound is ten times better and funnier. The drones, Aurora ship and leather pants did not compensate for anything in this episode. They had everything but chemistry.

krash
November 13th, 2007, 10:10 PM
its funny how she acts all tough but when it comes to action she chokes (ie wraith encounter)
I honestly think alot of that "tough" swagger she put on around Sheppard was more about trying to overplay her control over the situation. Think (objectively) about it: her entire society lives on whatever spaceships they can get their hands on. If they could FIGHT the Wraith :wraithanime11:, would they be living the Battlestar Galactica lifestyle?

If you think about it that way, having her "choke" when confronting a in-person Wraith makes sense. It also plays into the fact that we're not talking about someone with Julia Roberts' resume of acting (but everyone starts off in small roles). Give the girl a chance.

stclare
November 14th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I honestly think alot of that "tough" swagger she put on around Sheppard was more about trying to overplay her control over the situation. Think (objectively) about it: her entire society lives on whatever spaceships they can get their hands on. If they could FIGHT the Wraith :wraithanime11:, would they be living the Battlestar Galactica lifestyle?

If you think about it that way, having her "choke" when confronting a in-person Wraith makes sense. It also plays into the fact that we're not talking about someone with Julia Roberts' resume of acting (but everyone starts off in small roles). Give the girl a chance.

I did give the girl a chance and found her extremly lacking. i wanted to be engaged by her character but found myself zoning when she was flirting/acting tough.
i cant help but think that a more convincing actress with a better written script would have made this ep realy interesting. i realy at this point am not interested in the Travellers at all.

Integrabyte
November 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Is she better looking than Vala?

SG13-NightOps
November 16th, 2007, 01:12 AM

I loved Vala in her first episode. She was an awesome original character that sadly got overstretched.

I couldn't agree more. She was so utterly useless that it was actually depressing that they used the awesome plot device of life giving on her. I hoped it didnt get overused and that it would remain that special little thing that Wraith do but would rather be shot than do it for anyone but their 'brothers', and then they use it on her.. It actually ruined it for me, because someone that useless deserves to be killed off when she is supposed to safeguard the lives of a whole race. Useless Keller is logical, Useless Larrin is a joke.

Is she better looking than Vala?

Other than getting a nicer do, not IMO. CB is gorgeous.

On the whole, the episode only had one endearing point for me ("Does he look like a man who thinks he's going to die?") and I could go the rest of the series never seeing it again (in the I saw it once and will remember anything important basket with TRW & Irre-both), but perhaps it may have been better if Larrin was done better.

Redhooks
November 23rd, 2007, 07:36 PM
I sort of agree with you on the first encounter, although I chalk that up to a bad directing or editing decision because her energy pistol was clearly level and pointed at the Wraith for enough time to get one shot off. The director should have made sure JW didn't get the weapon up far enough to shoot before the Wraith knocked it out of her hand.
I disagree with you on the second encounter though because where was she supposed to run to? The hallway behind the door she just came through is now open to space and the Wraith was blocking her escape down the hallway.

JTLover
November 27th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Larrin sucks big time! Get her off the screen!

Now, I would prefer to see more of Teyla :) than that joke again! :mad:

wise one
November 27th, 2007, 09:50 AM
so a big nuke near a black hole goes off a wraith hive comes and attacks(pegasus projects)

yet possibly a fleet of ships the wraith havent totally destroyed and now that maybe all hives and cruisers are flying about the galaxy and wouldnt even came across several ships(travellers)

Anlaria Onyx
November 28th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I do not like Larrin. She is so stale. The normal 'warrior woman'. I hope they forget her like they did Ford. Dear god I hope.

vaberella
December 2nd, 2007, 11:33 PM
I do not like Larrin. She is so stale. The normal 'warrior woman'. I hope they forget her like they did Ford. Dear god I hope.

She was a "normal 'warrior woman'"? I only ask, because she looked like she was a woman who stole a "warrior woman"'s outfit. I wouldn't even confuse her as a warrior woman, I'd just hand her a whip or something and a mask and say..."You'd be better as Halle Berry's version of catwoman." :mckay:

Integrabyte
December 3rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
She was a "normal 'warrior woman'"? I only ask, because she looked like she was a woman who stole a "warrior woman"'s outfit. I wouldn't even confuse her as a warrior woman, I'd just hand her a whip or something and a mask and say..."You'd be better as Halle Berry's version of catwoman." :mckay:

My thoughts exactly when I saw that outfit. I think TPTB were hinting to robe Selene of her toight pants but Kate looks so much better. Oh well, I knew she won't impress me and I was right...Larin, or whatever her name is, had less effect for me than Chaya.

jenks
December 4th, 2007, 01:16 AM
She wasn't believable in my opinion, she seemed too vulnerable when she wasn't in control and too dominant when she was.

Emme
December 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Just my 2p (I'm english no cents here!) Has it been determind that Larrin IS the leader of all the Travellers. Could she be just an off (world) ship team leader?

Integrabyte
December 8th, 2007, 08:04 AM
She wasn't believable in my opinion, she seemed too vulnerable when she wasn't in control and too dominant when she was.

...bad Vala copy :P.

vaberella
December 12th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Just my 2p (I'm english no cents here!) Has it been determind that Larrin IS the leader of all the Travellers. Could she be just an off (world) ship team leader?

Good question, she is leader of something. To what extent is not yet known.

In any event, she's crap any way you look at her. So I could care less what kind of 'leader' or even the extent of her power...

She's just NOT someone I'd choose as leader! I have to say if not for Sam, I'd hate all these 'supposed' women leaders.

I may dislike her but the writers of SGA should see about hiring Margaret Thatcher as a leader of something. She'd not only be terrifying but she'd bring about death, mayhem, recessions, racist capitalist regimes into play and she'd remove milk from the Atlantis menu. :S

We'd be unbeatable and even the Wraith would go into hiding to escape her clutches.

EarthandBeyond
December 27th, 2007, 01:34 AM

The Genii are scavengers and thiefes. If this Travellers ever made a relationship with them, they would be risking in loosing there spaceships.

On a Larrin note, she is a really nice character played by a really nice actor.

ashman2
December 30th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Larrin is one of the worst characters in SGA history. Why ohhh why couldn't they have kept Elizabeth instead of creating Larrin?

I really don't think she's bad at all. Ish'ta or whatever her name was annoyed me, but I quite like Larrin, and I'm not just talking about how hot she is. I liked the way she played the character, although the scene where she asks the man how he found her and the ship seemed to suggest to me that her position isn't entirely stable, but that might be me just reading too much in to it.

When the hell was it said that Larrin was created to replace Weir, normally I hear people harking on about how unfair it is that Carter replaced Weir, which according to the producers, isn't quite what happened, but I've never heard anyone suggest Larrin was brought in to replace Weir.

I thought/think that as a potential recurring character she was very good, because if she was all strong, prophetic and talked with old grammar people would have called her a female Bra'tac. If she'd been really deceptive and munter-ish she'd have been called Atlantis' Niirti. I like her the way she is.

jenks
December 30th, 2007, 09:30 AM
She's too cheesy, cliché ridden and while she's nice to look at, it's embarrassing listening to what comes out of her mouth. I hope she doesn't ruin BAMSR.

Redhooks
December 30th, 2007, 10:38 AM
She's too cheesy, cliché ridden and while she's nice to look at, it's embarrassing listening to what comes out of her mouth. I hope she doesn't ruin BAMSR.
Martin Gero wrote BAMSR and not Paul Mullie so I have more confidence that he will write some intelligent dialogue and not some more of the crap that Paul Mullie wrote for her in some scenes of Travelers. I think if there was a better written script for the character in that episode, this thread wouldn't exist.

bluealien
January 1st, 2008, 05:37 AM
Martin Gero wrote BAMSR and not Paul Mullie so I have more confidence that he will write some intelligent dialogue and not some more of the crap that Paul Mullie wrote for her in some scenes of Travelers. I think if there was a better written script for the character in that episode, this thread wouldn't exist.

Um.. not so sure of that especially after seeing the pic of Shep tied up with a big rubber band and her strutting her stuff again. The whole scene looks rather comical and I'm sure that's not what the writers were going for. She came across as way too cheesy in Travelers and while one moment she was all talk and bravado while Sheppard was tied up, she sorta turned into a helpless little girly girl when she came face to face with the Wraith. So I also have concerns as to how her presence will effect Bamsr..

Redhooks
January 2nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
Um.. not so sure of that especially after seeing the pic of Shep tied up with a big rubber band and her strutting her stuff again. The whole scene looks rather comical and I'm sure that's not what the writers were going for. She came across as way too cheesy in Travelers and while one moment she was all talk and bravado while Sheppard was tied up, she sorta turned into a helpless little girly girl when she came face to face with the Wraith. So I also have concerns as to how her presence will effect Bamsr..
I disagree with the bolded part because how do you know she had ever seen a Wraith before?? They were something she has been taught to be afraid of since she was born. She thought it was Silas or Nevik because who else would be on the ship? I'm sure Sheppard was just as surprised about the Wraith being on the ship as she was. After the initial shock and getting her energy pistol knocked out of her hand, she seemed to gather her courage enough to stick a knife into the Wraith's hand and then try to defend herself with some Martial Arts moves. Of course, if she had gone after her pistol after sticking the Wraith with the knife it would have been more believeable to me instead of her running past the Wraith to put it between herself and her pistol.

As far as BAMSR, I will wait until I see the episode before I pass judgement on the scene you described.

EatLiftSleepRepeat
October 14th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Season 4 made me stop watching the show around the 14-15th episode because of the sucky episodes. Then when season 5 came I got renewed interest and rewatched all seasons. Apart from a few bad eps (irresistible, 38 minutes, etc) most episodes are great.

Then I came across this one and the female antagonist severely pissed me off. First and foremost she doesn't seem to have a solid base to build her character around but instead seem to be quickly thrown together into a cliché spouting leather clad annoyance.

I really, really dislike when shows portrays masculinity in the way its shown in this episode. When a female character uses her sexuality to make the man submit and a fair share of violence as well. I get disgusted by females like this who seem to see men as easily manipulated sheep who seem to act a way because they are men. People keep saying that she's hot but I have trouble seeing her as that because of her personality. It's like the pathetic guys who hit on that girl in the clubs who's just there for coercing free drinks out of men and acting like a ""#%"% for no reason. I don't see the hotness in a chick like that. Hey she might have a good looking body but so have I so she better grow a personality or I wont talk to her.

I might be all wrong seeing this as a female rebellion towards the mean men where characters like this are an example of non repressed women. People might say I am scared of strong women but this woman is not strong. She's just a labile, low moral "#"#¤ who doesn't even think twice before sacrificing her own people (hence she doesn't seem fit to be a leader). This show got plenty of strong women. Teyla, Wear and Carter for example are great examples of strong women whom I respect.

nx01a
October 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Bad. Bad. Bad.
The sexy rebel leader who's in lust with our Hero. Sigh. If she wasn't an apparently 2 dimensional sexbot, maybe, but...

Gate Rider
October 17th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Larrin is a bad character

Sheppard would disagree.....:sheppard: