PDA

View Full Version : Season 5 episode tidbits/discussion/speculation (potential spoilers)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

prion
October 31st, 2007, 06:04 PM
Might as well get the ball rolling :)

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/10/october-30-2007.html

And yet, espite the crankiness, I was able to partake in some first-class spinning this afternoon. Didn’t get as much accomplishe as I would’ve liked but Paul and I had our hans full with other non-creative issues (scheduling, eals, an, of course, lunch). Still, we do have about eight notions in the works including Marty G.’s old-school story (“How ol school?”you may ask. Well is season one ld enough for youuuuu?”

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/10/october-31-2007.html

Back on the work front, we are slowly making progress on those season five stories. Veeeery sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly. Every time we sit down to discuss, something comes up. Scheduling. Deals. Another mix! Actually three great mixes of late: Spoils of War (So what is the difference between the silent masked wraiths and the chatty ones? Ohhhhhhh, I see.), Be All My Sins Remember’d (Awesome. This one boasts the greatest visual effects sequences the show has ever done. Mark is going to be hard-pressed to top this one.), Miller’s Crossing (With that incredibly angsty McKay-Sheppard scene.) Yep, distractions galore.

PG15
October 31st, 2007, 08:06 PM
Isn't the second bit about Season 4? ;)

wheresmyfroggy
October 31st, 2007, 08:23 PM

You and your logic. And your facts. ;)

Season five yaaaaaaaaaay! I'm excited about the 'old school' comment. Ford?

Platschu
October 31st, 2007, 10:50 PM
He called once such episodes "old school", where the team went to adventure, made a mistake, but they could save the day. ;)

stargate maniack
November 1st, 2007, 01:21 AM
Still, we do have about eight notions in the works including Marty G.’s old-school story (“How ol school?”you may ask. Well is season one ld enough for youuuuu?”

hm...lemme see if i got this right...season1-old school....
could that mean atlantis will be stranded again like in season 1?

that can t be right..

or could he be reffering to the old school ideea, where the asurans were suppost to be the main enemy? O_o

prion
November 1st, 2007, 08:48 AM

Except for the very first sentence which means season 5...

Mitchell82
November 1st, 2007, 12:26 PM

that can t be right..

or could he be reffering to the old school ideea, where the asurans were suppost to be the main enemy? O_o

Well it could mean an old ally, or another Genii story etc..

Ltcolshepjumper
November 1st, 2007, 12:30 PM
Well, it's obviously something from Season 1 that was not continued in Seasons 2, 3, or 4. I'm betting it's either dealing with Poisoning the Well, Sanctuary, the Brotherhood, or the story they never got around to doing (I believe it was to be titled Human Error)

Major_Griff
November 1st, 2007, 12:33 PM
Well, it's obviously something from Season 1 that was not continued in Seasons 2, 3, or 4. I'm betting it's either dealing with Poisoning the Well, Sanctuary, the Brotherhood, or the story they never got around to doing (I believe it was to be titled Human Error)

Good point. I'd like to see the brotherhood revisited.

Mitchell82
November 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM
Good point. I'd like to see the brotherhood revisited.

That or possibly the story that didn't get greenlit.

PG15
November 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM
Maybe they run into the dark energy creature from "Hide and Seek" again...except this time, it brought friends.

Ooooooooo...

Mattathias2.0
November 2nd, 2007, 05:17 AM

that can t be right..

Actually, JM wanted Atlantis to be cut from Earth in S4, but couldn't do it because Carter was crossing over. I would actually be looking forward to that given they not only know a lot more about the city since S1, but so much else as well. I find it interesting.

The_Carpenter
November 2nd, 2007, 06:31 AM
Actually, JM wanted Atlantis to be cut from Earth in S4, but couldn't do it because Carter was crossing over. I would actually be looking forward to that given they not only know a lot more about the city since S1, but so much else as well. I find it interesting.

How exactly can they cut Atlantis off from Earth other than destroying all the DSC-304s which I don't see happening? Just don't see it happening

fallenexile452
November 2nd, 2007, 06:53 AM
How exactly can they cut Atlantis off from Earth other than destroying all the DSC-304s which I don't see happening? Just don't see it happening

Don't tempt them.

ussrelativity
November 2nd, 2007, 07:15 AM
I think in a way it can be cut off somewhat, by having the 304s being their only way to get to Earth and back.

siXbrownSnakes2
November 2nd, 2007, 09:23 AM
I am a big season 1 fan and I like what they had going in season 1... one episode lead into the next, such as Rising through Suspicion were related... Underground lead into The Storm/The Eye exceptionally well and then after that we had the major "The wraith are coming" arc for the 2nd half of the season.

I've always felt that the show should have stayed isolated from earth for longer than it was. Atlantis, it seemed, as a show didn't really get to stand up on two strong feet before it was barraged with crap from SG-1. Season 2 was abysmal and I think it was directly related to that.

I really liked that feeling of "we HAVE to get out there" in season 1. Not to mention the arcs and continuity which obviously wasn't done in season two (*cough* trinity *cough*) and was only minorly re-introduced into season 3.

I wish the show could go back to that, but I guess it's too late now.

Mattathias2.0
November 2nd, 2007, 09:28 AM

He didn't exactly describe how they would have done it either. So you are asking the wrong person.

Destroying all the 304s? Don't say that!

pbellosom
November 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
I am a big season 1 fan and I like what they had going in season 1... one episode lead into the next, such as Rising through Suspicion were related... Underground lead into The Storm/The Eye exceptionally well and then after that we had the major "The wraith are coming" arc for the 2nd half of the season.

I've always felt that the show should have stayed isolated from earth for longer than it was. Atlantis, it seemed, as a show didn't really get to stand up on two strong feet before it was barraged with crap from SG-1. Season 2 was abysmal and I think it was directly related to that.

I really liked that feeling of "we HAVE to get out there" in season 1. Not to mention the arcs and continuity which obviously wasn't done in season two (*cough* trinity *cough*) and was only minorly re-introduced into season 3.

I wish the show could go back to that, but I guess it's too late now.

I agree with you 100%. When I heard the first few rumors about season four and indeed the season three finale I was desperately hoping that Atlantis would be stuck in another galaxy (where Earth could not find them) and unable to get back which would be the only real way of returning to the original state of affairs.

As for the Old School thing? I reckon it's time travel back to season 1

The_Carpenter
November 2nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
He didn't exactly describe how they would have done it either. So you are asking the wrong person.

Destroying all the 304s? Don't say that!

I know he doesn't was more thinking out loud as it were, I suppose they could have some event happen at the midway station that releases some kind of radiation that stops hyperspace travel and have the gate bridge destroyed and have Atlantis run out of ZPMs again... buts a thats awfully trek style strange radiation cop out... and theres the fact that Earth has 2 ZPMs as well

Mattathias2.0
November 2nd, 2007, 11:09 AM
Have the ZPM run out of power some how on Atlantis, then have the 304s recalled back to MW as protection in the event of a Replicator (or Wraith) invasion fleet. That way the ships aren't destroyed, and there is reason as to why Atlantis is cut off.

stargate maniack
November 2nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
Don't tempt them.

lol

all of earth`s ships will never be destroyed--> asgard legacy

DeanWinchester
November 2nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
lol

all of earth`s ships will never be destroyed--> asgard legacy

I would think they would eventually find a way to at least extract all info & put it in like some super computer

stargate maniack
November 2nd, 2007, 02:46 PM
I would think they would eventually find a way to at least extract all info & put it in like some super computer

probably...

but not for now, dunno it would be 2 "fast", after all it is all the knowledge of the asgard :P

The_Carpenter
November 2nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
Have the ZPM run out of power some how on Atlantis, then have the 304s recalled back to MW as protection in the event of a Replicator (or Wraith) invasion fleet. That way the ships aren't destroyed, and there is reason as to why Atlantis is cut off.

Earth still has two ZPMs, so Atlantis could still have contact with Earth all be it one way and that's assuming that something has happened to the gate bridge to stop it functioning.

kymeric
November 2nd, 2007, 04:19 PM

Battle with Wraith at the midway station fuxxors subspace in a way the 'stalls out' the advanced asgard hyperdrives, the wraith hyperdrives being crappy and organic based can get through it. See? Easy. Atlantis cut off from all their kickass backup and the wraith r still a threat.

Can I have a byline in the episode appears, or at least name a redshirt after me!!! XD
OH GOD THAT WRAITHS EATING JASON!!!111!!!1!!!ONEONE

Mattathias2.0
November 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
Earth still has two ZPMs, so Atlantis could still have contact with Earth all be it one way and that's assuming that something has happened to the gate bridge to stop it functioning.

We do not know that for sure. Given we have not seen (esp.) The Ark Of Truth and Continuum, so the current timeline is not complete. So currently, it is an assumption Earth has two ZPMs, but just an assumption.

siXbrownSnakes2
November 2nd, 2007, 05:32 PM
Although unlikely, I would like to see the Atlantis characters themselves want isolation from earth for some reason, perhaps crap from the IOA or something. It would be interesting to see how the characters would respond if they felt Earth had too much control over what they can and cannot do.

PG15
November 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
More updates:

On the bright side, progress continues on the season five front. No actual breaking yet, but plenty of spinning and a grand total of 15 notions ranging from uncertain to promisingly vague. We know where we’ll be going with the first two episodes and it looks like the idea Carl pitched out today will find the third slot. After that, it’s wide open although, there are a couple of ideas that look very promising. If you don’t mind being spoiled, I’m specifically referring to…

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Numbers 8, 10, 13, and 14.

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/11/november-1-2007.html

Well, we actually started spinning today. Yep, Monkey in the Control Room is coming along nicely. We’ve got the general story, the tease, and all four act breaks although, if you ask me, act three is a little skimpy. Of course Monkey in the Control Room is just a working title and could eventually change to something entirely different like, say, Monkey in the Puddle Jumper or Monkey in the Conference Room or, if we’re feeling particularly creative, Dingo in the Mess Hall. Next week, we start breaking what we know will be the first three episodes of Atlantis’s fifth season: S&R, B&B, and KGS BGT BSK KSB.

Keirberos writes: “Any talk yet on general directions S5 may go?”

Answer: Yep. Marty G. pitched out a great idea with big-arc implications.

Anonymous #2 writes: “Hi Joe any chance of seeing the Joe Flanigan pitched angsty Sheppard episode that was shelved in season 5?”

Answer: Unfortunately, the stories we have done (and continue to do) make that particular story an impossibility.

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/11/november-2-2007.html

Mitchell82
November 2nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
More updates:

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/11/november-1-2007.html

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/11/november-2-2007.html

What Joe Flannagin pitch are they refering to?

PG15
November 2nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
The one that wasn't Outcast, basically.

SGFerrit
November 3rd, 2007, 10:11 AM
Good news about the Marty G arc, people really seem to like his stories:)

Mitchell82
November 3rd, 2007, 03:44 PM
The one that wasn't Outcast, basically.

Ah got it.

Mitchell82
November 3rd, 2007, 03:45 PM
Good news about the Marty G arc, people really seem to like his stories:)

Because he's very good so it is a good thing though all the writers do a good job IMO.

Skydiver
November 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM
As you guys will no doubt find out, this is the ONLY general season 5 discussion thread. Talk pro, talk con, but talk with respect and tolerance.

Briangate78
November 4th, 2007, 05:00 PM
As you guys will no doubt find out, this is the ONLY general season 5 discussion thread. Talk pro, talk con, but talk with respect and tolerance.

I think it's a good idea. Right now it's all speculation. There is nothing really yet to be pro or anti about. We got this type of thread running on Sci-fi and it has been doing well. Anyway, thanks and good call from the mods! :)

Falcon Horus
November 4th, 2007, 05:01 PM
This will be interesting....to watch. :o

*goes in search of helmet and bullet proof vest*

Briangate78
November 4th, 2007, 05:03 PM
This will be interesting....to watch. :o

*goes in search of helmet and bullet proof vest*

It works on Sci-fi, should be fine here also. :)

Falcon Horus
November 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM
It works on Sci-fi, should be fine here also. :)

We'll have to see. Sci-Fi forum is still slightly different from GateWorld, less of a battleground (the stargate-forum anyway).

I just want to be prepared, that's all.

PG15
November 4th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Well, so far so good. I'm lovin' this development, by the way. Thanks mods! :D

Now that my "Bring down Pro/Anti Threads" goal has been reached, it's time to move on to bigger things: World Domination!! :mckayanime17:

Or...an update:

Well, it’s the calm before the storm. After an easygoing week of tossing story ideas around, we head back into the office to actually begin breaking season five. Ideally, I would love for each of us to head off with 2 scripts each Still, with most of November ahead of us, and a number of story ideas in development, there’s no reason why we can’t half the season in play by the time we head back in January.

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/11/november-4-2007.html

Briangate78
November 4th, 2007, 05:57 PM
We'll have to see. Sci-Fi forum is still slightly different from GateWorld, less of a battleground (the stargate-forum anyway).

I just want to be prepared, that's all.

Well they also have a cool mod over on the Sci-fi forum. ;) They work hard to keep things civil just like the folks here on gateworld do. It's not easy sometimes, I can imagine. :S

Redhooks
November 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM
A couple of things I would like to see dealt with assuming they aren't dealt with in the rest of season 4 and so far none of the spoilers I have seen mention these topics.

1) Will we ever find out what the Wraith's weakness was that was contained in the communique that the Aurora was bringing to Atlantis? If the Captain didn't write it or know what was in it, who did write it? Maybe there is another hidden base of the Ancients out there somewhere where the info is in a database?

2) What happened to the Tria? It seems strange to me that in The Return, Pt. 1 the Ancients didn't ask Earth to ferry them back to the Tria with replacement parts for the Hyperdrive. Heck, they could have used the Midway station to get close in a jumper once they moved the Tria near the station with their normal engines. Maybe this will be a "surprise" development in season 4? At first I thought the "Phoenix" might be the repaired Tria, but it is another Earth ship.

3) If we don't get it the rest of season 4, more info on how the Wraith multiplied and achieved a high-level of technology so quickly. If they learned it from the Ancients, why is their technology so organic based?

4) Finally, more stories involving the Travelers. (But giving more of a glimse into their history)

techjunkie
November 5th, 2007, 03:03 PM
A couple of things I would like to see dealt with assuming they aren't dealt with in the rest of season 4 and so far none of the spoilers I have seen mention these topics.

1) Will we ever find out what the Wraith's weakness was that was contained in the communique that the Aurora was bringing to Atlantis? If the Captain didn't write it or know what was in it, who did write it? Maybe there is another hidden base of the Ancients out there somewhere where the info is in a database?

I agree totally. Unfulfilled plot threads are downright annoying. Alluded to plot threads are a different beast altogether. Wrap it up, or allude to it - in any case deal with it.

2) What happened to the Tria? It seems strange to me that in The Return, Pt. 1 the Ancients didn't ask Earth to ferry them back to the Tria with replacement parts for the Hyperdrive. Heck, they could have used the Midway station to get close in a jumper once they moved the Tria near the station with their normal engines. Maybe this will be a "surprise" development in season 4? At first I thought the "Phoenix" might be the repaired Tria, but it is another Earth ship.

It would be nice to see another Lantean ship as part of our slowly growing fleet.

3) If we don't get it the rest of season 4, more info on how the Wraith multiplied and achieved a high-level of technology so quickly. If they learned it from the Ancients, why is their technology so organic based?

Second that, and more so. Obviously the Wraith developed over a significant time to be such a threat to Ancients. Why did the Ancient wait so long to deal with it? Ineffective goverment? Bad planning? Any excuse really would be appreciated other than arrogance.

4) Finally, more stories involving the Travelers. (But giving more of a glimpse into their history)

The Travelers concept was excellent, and a personal highlight for me. Sure the episode was full of sexual innuendo, but that was an honestly refreshing bit of humor Sheppard's comments to her at the end of the episode laid a lot of groundwork for future encounters. I hope they become more of a friendly rival, than a new enemy.

Just my thoughts,

TechJunkie

Mitchell82
November 6th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Hmm I don't know how we ever could figure that out. He was bringing the communique to Atlantis but as I recall he never said where he was brining it from. Most likely an Ancient outpost somewhere. Obviously someone gave it to him but didn't tell me what it was for obvious reasons. If the facility isn't destroyed the likelyhood that he/she left trace of it in the computer there is minimal. In case of attack or capture most likely they would have erased the computer or destroyed it, and even if the base is in the Atlantis database finding the right facility would be a needle in a haystack. But it would be nice if we somehow stumbled upon it but I can just here the complaints now of "plot device","convienence" etc..

Hmm I disagree. THe Ancients would never ask our help because 1. they are extremly arrogant and 2. they are Ancients they could fix it better than us they just didn't have time. If it wasn't destroyed it might still be out there for us to find.

Hmm good question. I doubt they learned how to build their tech from the Ancients most likely they gained knowledge on space travel from them and created tech that could best them. But I'd love to leard about this.

4) Finally, more stories involving the Travelers. (But giving more of a glimse into their history)
I definatly agree. I loved their introduction and can't wait to learn more.

Briangate78
November 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM
So looks like Daniel is likely to make a guest apperance or two in S5! :)

Falcon Horus
November 18th, 2007, 12:50 PM
So looks like Daniel is likely to make a guest apperance or two in S5! :)

Why?

Briangate78
November 18th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Why?

Well, um Season 5 was picked up, Joe M approached Michael Shanks, who then said he would be interested.

jelgate
November 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Why?

Why Not?

Falcon Horus
November 18th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Why Not?

I don't know.

He takes screentime away from one of the regulars. Or he's an SG1-character. Or, and this my personal favorite, I don't like Daniel.

Just saying... Now you can pick one of these options and start throwing them back at me for I am branded as an anti anyway. Go ahead! It's open season. :mckay:

Snark is very much intended.

jelgate
November 18th, 2007, 02:13 PM
You must really not be looking forward to Midway.
*pulls out bow and aims it at Falcon Horus*

Falcon Horus
November 18th, 2007, 02:35 PM
You must really not be looking forward to Midway.
*pulls out bow and aims it at Falcon Horus*

I'm not looking forward to any episode... The one I was looking forward to was Missing and that has passed.

*adjusts bulls-eye*

jelgate
November 18th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I'm not looking forward to any episode... The one I was looking forward to was Missing and that has passed.

*adjusts bulls-eye*
To each her own. Personally, I am really enjoying the ride that is Season 4 and can't wait for the mid-season three parter.

Mitchell82
November 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM
To each her own. Personally, I am really enjpying the ride that is Season 4 and can't wait for the mid-season three parter.

Uh what does enjpying mean? *checks dictionary* I can't seem to find the word!*end sarcasam.;)

Mitchell82
November 19th, 2007, 03:51 PM

*adjusts bulls-eye*

Are we going to have an old fashioned showdown? *adjusts microphone* Ready! AIM! FIRE!;)

Mitchell82
November 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Well, um Season 5 was picked up, Joe M approached Michael Shanks, who then said he would be interested.

If it makes sense I have no issue with it.

nova
November 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM
im only speakin for myself but, for season 5, id like to see;

.the asurans gone
.the wraith more
.micheals super wraith more

and maybe a 3 way war, earth vs wraith vs super wraith

(i dont know about you, but im bored of the asurans, we had all that with SG1)

thoughts?

Mitchell82
November 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
im only speakin for myself but, for season 5, id like to see;

.the asurans gone
.the wraith more
.micheals super wraith more

and maybe a 3 way war, earth vs wraith vs super wraith

(i dont know about you, but im bored of the asurans, we had all that with SG1)

thoughts?

First use search function there is already a discussion thread on this subject and second I agree with everything but one. I like the Asurans they are way better than the MW Replicators.

nova
November 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM
1. sorry did'nt know there was 1 of these threads.

2. the replicator stuff was used up in sg1, so why the need to use it in sga? surely we could have a newer, better enemy

Mitchell82
November 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM
1. sorry did'nt know there was 1 of these threads.

2. the replicator stuff was used up in sg1, so why the need to use it in sga? surely we could have a newer, better enemy

No prob I'm just glad I got to you first some would have been very cruel. As to the second part well they were orriginally going to be the main enemy but decided on something else (Wraith). Still I do see your point but they are quite different IMO.

Falcon Horus
November 20th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Are we going to have an old fashioned showdown? *adjusts microphone* Ready! AIM! FIRE!;)

Sure, why not? ... Wait, weren't you military? :eek: *runs*

Mitchell82
November 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Sure, why not? ... Wait, weren't you military? :eek: *runs*

"Be wary wary quiet. I'm huntin rabbit.";)

jelgate
November 20th, 2007, 12:33 PM
"Be wary wary quiet. I'm huntin rabbit.";)
Do you need a sidekick *presents resume to Mitchell82*

Mitchell82
November 20th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Do you need a sidekick *presents resume to Mitchell82*

*checks resume*Sure you can be Daffy.;)

jelgate
November 21st, 2007, 08:23 AM
*checks resume*Sure you can be Daffy.;)
I present you my profile picturehttp://www.gionetart.com/GRAPHICS/other%20animations/DAFFY-DUCK.gif

SGFerrit
December 3rd, 2007, 12:47 AM
New 'tidbits':)

More about Michael Shanks being in the fifth season, apparently they are just looking for the right script now. And they say they would love to have Chris back for an ep because he did so well with what he got in season 4.

also...

And as for Season Five, Mallozzi told MGM, “We want to address some of the issues that are left unresolved at the end of season four. In fact, actually, season four ends in a big way. The final shot in particular will leave fans hanging on to that cliff! It’s a huge cliff hanger ending. That was always our plan, and fortunately we got the pick-up, so we’ll be able to continue where we left off at the end of season four and answer those questions. One of the things I will say that we will be concentrating on in season five is the introduction of new races – friend and foe.”

So more new races too:)

Link. (http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=1042)

g.o.d
December 3rd, 2007, 01:01 AM
the last SGA needs is a new enemy :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jenks
December 3rd, 2007, 02:00 AM
I wouldn't get too excited, When Mallozzi says races he usually just means a new race of humans rater than a new species...

heliosphere
December 3rd, 2007, 05:35 AM
I wish Atlantis would have a species that didn't look distinctly human. At least on SG1, there were things like the Unas, that while had two legs (bipedal? Is that the word?), still looked like a big ol' lizard.

Though I don't want them to fall into the Trekdom forehead ridges trap either.

poundpuppy29
December 4th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I wish Atlantis would have a species that didn't look distinctly human. At least on SG1, there were things like the Unas, that while had two legs (bipedal? Is that the word?), still looked like a big ol' lizard.

Though I don't want them to fall into the Trekdom forehead ridges trap either.
That's my issue too SG-1 had The Nox, The Asgard and Unas and others that I can't think of right now but at least there were some not as much as Trek,B5 or Farscape but at least some SGA doesn't have that I think BSG has the same criticism I think.

Briangate78
December 4th, 2007, 07:59 PM
New 'tidbits':)

More about Michael Shanks being in the fifth season, apparently they are just looking for the right script now. And they say they would love to have Chris back for an ep because he did so well with what he got in season 4.

also...

So more new races too:)

Link. (http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=1042)

So new enemy as well? That sounds interesting. Joe M said in a recent blog there would be big surprises. So I am really excited about Season 5, and if it continues like Season 3 and 4, will be very happy. :)

PG15
December 4th, 2007, 08:06 PM
As per JM tonight:

Anonymous #1 writes: “When does filming actually start for season 5?”

Answer: Mid-February.

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/12/december-4-2007.html

D-Day. :D

Briangate78
December 4th, 2007, 08:08 PM
As per JM tonight:

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/12/december-4-2007.html

D-Day. :D

We should start hearing some news about casting, episodes, and direction by January. I don't want to be too spoiled, just if certain characters are returning. I mean as per quality, the show is really good now. I have high hopes for Season 5.

Yes, this is coming from the guy who said there would be a 5th season before Season 3 even ended. ;) :p

g.o.d
December 5th, 2007, 03:03 AM
two enemies aren't enough for you?

Briangate78
December 5th, 2007, 05:10 AM
two enemies aren't enough for you?

Actually we have three enemies. I would like to see one defeated and have them replaced with a new enemy.

Falcon Horus
December 5th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Actually we have three enemies.

We do? :S

Asurans, Wraith & ...

Besides TPTB's can't even seriously develop or maintain the regular characters. How do you expect them to maintain more enemies than they can chew.

Briangate78
December 5th, 2007, 05:32 AM

Asurans, Wraith & ...

Besides TPTB's can't even seriously develop or maintain the regular characters. How do you expect them to maintain more enemies than they can chew.

Michael

When I say new enemy I said perhaps replace one of them or keep one on major Hiatus and if a new season happens, go back to that enemy, sorta how they did in Season 8!

Falcon Horus
December 5th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Michael

Oh him... I don't count him as a different enemy. He's still Wraith in nature.

When I say new enemy I said perhaps replace one of them or keep one on major Hiatus and if a new season happens, go back to that enemy, sorta how they did in Season 8!

They should develop their enemies first a little more and maybe when there's no more to know about them than they can shift to something new. We know almost nothing about the Wraith. They suck life and they can give life. They have kids who eat and then switch to sucking.

What about their societies? Do they live in a matriarchy or patriarchy? Who determines who's to become a soldier and who higher up as an officer? Do they have hobbies besides culling planets? Do they celebrate? What's their culture like? Do they have a sense of loving each other? Siblings? Religion? Names? Art?

You see lots of questions that could do with an aswer.

Briangate78
December 5th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Oh him... I don't count him as a different enemy. He's still Wraith in nature.

They should develop their enemies first a little more and maybe when there's no more to know about them than they can shift to something new. We know almost nothing about the Wraith. They suck life and they can give life. They have kids who eat and then switch to sucking.

What about their societies? Do they live in a matriarchy or patriarchy? Who determines who's to become a soldier and who higher up as an officer? Do they have hobbies besides culling planets? Do they celebrate? What's their culture like? Do they have a sense of loving each other? Siblings? Religion? Names? Art?

You see lots of questions that could do with an aswer.

We do know that the Wraith are very smart, they have a sense of humor, lol. We also know that they are divided sorta like the system lords on SG-1, and each of them fight for more leverage. Michael was a great addition to the cast , imo. He made the Wraith more complexed and brought a whole new story arc to the Wraith.

I think we are going to see more about the Wraith in the 2nd half of this season. Season 5 will likely continue the Wraith story arcs.

PG15
December 5th, 2007, 11:17 AM
More major enemies are good. It keeps the show arc-based instead of having one-off antagonists every week.

Briangate78
December 5th, 2007, 12:06 PM
More major enemies are good. It keeps the show arc-based instead of having one-off antagonists every week.

Heck if you counted each of the Goa'uld System Lords as seperate enemies. SG-1 had like more than half a dozen. :p I truly loved that about SG-1, you had Apophis, then Hath'or, then Nirriti, Kronus, Yu, and then Ba'al and Anubis and along with the smaller goa'uld enemies like Seth. It was not like just one big group enemy since each system lord had their own seperate beef with SG-1!

Now with SGA, the Wraith and Replicators/Asurans might be splitting in different directions. It may not be just "The Wraith" but individual Wraiths with different plans and whatnot. Michael and Todd are good examples. Michael who is still out there, is technically not part of "The Wraith" anymore.

The end of this season we will likely get that 3rd enemy since Michael is not really considered part of the "Wraith" anymore.

It just keeps the story interesting. This show could very well last as long as SG-1 did. I don't think MGM and SCI FI are even close to letting this show go. Too much guranteed revenue, imo.

SGFerrit
December 5th, 2007, 01:50 PM

Asurans, Wraith & ...

In your opinion...

IMO they are doing very well this year, with the characters and the enemies. The Wraith are being featured more than last year, and we have what looks like a new Wraith regular character in the form of Todd. That vharacter alone has and is teaching us alot more about Wraith culture. And IMO the Asurans are getting very interesting now, I expect TMC will confirm that.

IMO, Pegasus needs more species, be them human or otherwise. We only really have the Wraith and Asurans as major players. We hardly see the Genii, and so far we have only seen the Travelers once.

Cautious Explorer
December 6th, 2007, 05:29 AM
In your opinion...

IMO they are doing very well this year, with the characters and the enemies. The Wraith are being featured more than last year, and we have what looks like a new Wraith regular character in the form of Todd. That vharacter alone has and is teaching us alot more about Wraith culture. And IMO the Asurans are getting very interesting now, I expect TMC will confirm that.

IMO, Pegasus needs more species, be them human or otherwise. We only really have the Wraith and Asurans as major players. We hardly see the Genii, and so far we have only seen the Travelers once.

I don't think we've really learned much new about the Wraith this season. We already knew Todd had a sense of humor and that various hives were at war with each other from last season. While they are featuring the Wraith somewhat, they've also weakened them: They can now be taken out with one shot (Reunion) and can be frightened into giving life back to their victims (Travelers) -- so much for defiant ones like Steve.

I'd like to see the tough and powerful Wraith we saw in season 1 come back.

Xicer
December 7th, 2007, 03:16 PM
We have our first episode name!

Ah, right to it then? Well, back in early November, we did come up with a bunch of jumping off points, fleshed out notions, and lame episode titles. We put them up on the white board and, at last count, had 14. As you may or may not have guessed, the title of our premiere (which I cryptically referred to as S&R) is Search and Rescue. Who's searching and who's in need of rescue? Tune into the season 4 finale to find out.

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=203424298601472885&postID=5233940597712958002

Fenrir Foxz
December 7th, 2007, 03:19 PM
We have our first episode name!

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=203424298601472885&postID=5233940597712958002

Cool spoiler! thanks for puttin that... and the link up!

Briangate78
December 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I have this feeling we will hear by next week that Carson will be returning for next season. :cool:

Chrysalis
December 7th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I have this feeling we will hear by next week that Carson will be returning for next season. :cool:

If that's the case, it's the world's worse kept secret. People were talking about it at Burbank, saying it's been confirmed. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea..

Briangate78
December 7th, 2007, 04:20 PM
If that's the case, it's the world's worse kept secret. People were talking about it at Burbank, saying it's been confirmed. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea..

It's going to happen. Beckett was a mistake killing off and since they know how strong the fandom is for this character they are likely bringing him back. It's a smart creative and business move.

Now, lets get cracking on Weir! EVERYONE! Needs to watch this Mortal Coil and send letters to SCI FI about Weir. ;)

Chrysalis
December 7th, 2007, 04:26 PM
It's going to happen. Beckett was a mistake killing off and since they know how strong the fandom is for this character they are likely bringing him back. It's a smart creative and business move.

Now, lets get cracking on Weir! EVERYONE! Needs to watch this Mortal Coil and send letters to SCI FI about Weir. ;)

What you fail to recognise is that JM wasn't one of the people behind the decision to get rid of Paul. He WAS behind the decision to get rid of Torri, at least in part. He's said he's happy with that decision.

Also, the Beckett people got them free publicity by getting the show mentioned on TV.

To me, that says that short of a miracle, she won't be back. Which pisses me off beyond belief, especially when you see reviews like one that I read recently where the person said that it was an insane decision, and Elizabeth WAS Atlantis. That was an impartial review in a magazine or online somewhere, not something from a fan, either. Just shows the critics can't figure out what the hell they're doing either.

PG15
December 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Oops, looks like I should've read this thread first.

Oh well, episode speculation thread's open. :D

Ripple in Space
December 19th, 2007, 12:47 PM
If...

Season 5 starts with the Asurans & Wraith forming a temporary Alliance against Atlantis, with fleets of Asuran & Wraith Warships heading for the planet. Then three ships the size of BC-304s drop out of hyperspace above Atlantis that look like a combination of a Wraith Cruiser and Tau'ri level tech. Atlantis is hailed, and it's :ford: leading a militia of Wraith hunters using a combination of Wraith & Genii tech. They put up a good fight, and manage to knock out 2 hives using kamikaze attacks armed with Genii nukes, but barely scratch the overall fleet.

After Carter orders the self-destruct another wave of ships approach the battered city, but these are of a totally different design. McKay & Zelenka have no idea who these ships belong to, but Carter recognizes their design.

Then a message comes through.

THOR: Greetings Colonel Carter. General O'Neill mentioned that you are in need of assistance. The battle-group Samantha Carter is at your disposal.

The Asgard ships, using Asgard beam tech are 1-hit-KO-ing Hives and 3-hit-KO-ing Auroras.

The battle closes with nearly no Asgard causalities and rubble standing where the Wraith & Asurans were. Then the camera cuts to another scene with Oma Desala bloodied on the floor and Anubis watching the Pegasus battle, and saying, "It seems that everything is going according to plan after all" and the episode closing on his laughter.

Would Atlantis fans be happy?

Jumper_One
December 19th, 2007, 12:55 PM
this might be fun. to hear someone mention O'Neill once again is cool, to see Thor and the Asgard again -> very cool. still no chance in hell for this to happen

Reefgirl
December 19th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Um, unlikely since the Asgards wiped themselves out at the end of SG-1

Jeff O'Connor
December 19th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Oma and Anubis again? I actually liked how that ended, so I'm split; I think not, really.

Ford? Ford? Ford? Yes, please.

Edited to add:

Reefgirl brought up a very good point.

Daniel Jackson
December 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Uh... did you not see SG-1's final episode?

The Asgard are extinct.

Major_Griff
December 19th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Yeah that'd be nice if it aired three years ago.

wkw427
December 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM
No..

1. No asgard

2.Asurans cant be nice to wraith. It is like telling a person they cant poop. It is WHO THEY ARE!!

3. Ford isn't smart enough to make ships. And Genii aren't anywhere neaer that level.

4. Ford is probally dead.

Argosy
December 19th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I do believe that the OP is just poking fun at some segments of fandom who want everything to unfold according to the grand design.

*^the posters above scratch their heads and then ask*

“Who’s…’Grand Design’?”

MINE!:anubis::anubis::anubis::anubis::bow:

PG15
December 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Nope.

Instead, I would worry that some ultra-fanboys from the Sci-Tech forum has kidnapped TPTB and taken their place.

Argosy
December 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Who gave up the spoilers about my plot to replace TPTB? :confused:

Mitchell82
December 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM
yup the asgard are in very little pieces

Yup they are nice crispy critters now.

Ripple in Space
December 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I do believe that the OP is just poking fun at some segments of fandom who want everything to unfold according to the grand design.

*^the posters above scratch their heads and then ask*

“Who’s…’Grand Design’?”

MINE!:anubis::anubis::anubis::anubis::bow:

About sums it up.

Btw, no one stays dead in SciFi according to the writers. Especially not someone who's a little gray alien that has been killed on multiple occasions before.

Mitchell82
December 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
About sums it up.

Btw, no one stays dead in SciFi according to the writers. Especially not someone who's a little gray alien that has been killed on multiple occasions before.

Uh when? The Asgard are gone there is no way to bring them back sans time travel or AU.

Ripple in Space
December 19th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Who says all of their consciousnesses weren't downloaded into the Asgard core? Who says that there weren't factions that weren't good with mass suicide?

As for "when"? Both the Replicators & Anubis have killed Thor on several occasions.

andromeda_dan
December 19th, 2007, 09:31 PM
...a tauri bio tech lab develop a cure for the genetic degradation problem of the Asgards, then used the whatever genetic material left over of the Asgards to rebuild/ clone the Asgard race back, and the clones can get their consiouness downloaded back into them from the Odyssey mainframe. UNLESS, the interactive Asgard construct in the Odeyssey mainframe is only a simulation of notable Asgard leaders and scientists only, then the clones are useless shells. But it sure would be kool if the Asgards DID store their collective consiouness in the mainframe, then there is a chance they'd be back.

g.o.d
December 19th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Big spoiler!!!

Asurans will be destroyed in 411

Ripple in Space: I like your idea. It's really great

Fenrir Foxz
December 19th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Big spoiler!!!

Asurans will be destroyed in 411

Ripple in Space: I like your idea. It's really great

Really? 100%...
Destoryed? no more replicators?
...If so that'll be a shame...

g.o.d
December 20th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Really? 100%...
Destoryed? no more replicators?
...If so that'll be a shame...

most of them will be destroyed. That minority group (good replicators) will be led by Weir. This is the newest spoiler for 411.

Fenrir Foxz
December 20th, 2007, 12:19 AM
most of them will be destroyed. That minority group (good replicators) will be led by Weir. This is the newest spoiler for 411.

Thanks for the spoiler.. the more I hear about BAMSR the more I can't wait to see it...

g.o.d
December 20th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the spoiler.. the more I hear about BAMSR the more I can't wait to see it...

me too. This episode sounds promising.

I hope they'll focus on the Wraith after BAMSR

Fenrir Foxz
December 20th, 2007, 12:28 AM
me too. This episode sounds promising.

Now right there is a good point why I shouldn't feel too bad about the Replicators...

GateMan2000
December 20th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Uh when? The Asgard are gone there is no way to bring them back sans time travel or AU.

Your "what if" is so far out there...while it may sound cool to you, in the real world it won't happen because it will not make for a good show.

Jumper_One
December 20th, 2007, 09:06 AM

yes most of them will be destroyed and somehow RepliWeir's the leader of some replicators. we don't know whether those are good or evil and if RepliWeir's still their leader after her/its next appearance

SoW will be pretty Wraith heavy ie the birthing scene

Ripple in Space
December 20th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Okay how about an A, B, C team like Law & Order: CI?

Atlantis-1: :sheppard::mckay::teyla::ronan:
Atlantis-2: :jack::tealc::sam::daniel:
Atlantis-3: LORNE:ford::jonas:ZELENKA

With :weir: & :beckett: used sparingly throughout. And a 50 episode Season. There could be occassional use of Atlantis-4 which consists of :vala::cameron:KELLER and some of Jason Momoa's former cast mates from Baywatch.

PG15
December 20th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I really hope you're not serious.

Jumper_One
December 20th, 2007, 01:23 PM

so do I ;)

Mitchell82
December 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Your "what if" is so far out there...while it may sound cool to you, in the real world it won't happen because it will not make for a good show.

Uh did you even understand my post? I sad that there is no way to bring them back.

Mitchell82
December 20th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Okay how about an A, B, C team like Law & Order: CI?

Atlantis-1: :sheppard::mckay::teyla::ronan:
Atlantis-2: :jack::tealc::sam::daniel:
Atlantis-3: LORNE:ford::jonas:ZELENKA

With :weir: & :beckett: used sparingly throughout. And a 50 episode Season. There could be occassional use of Atlantis-4 which consists of :vala::cameron:KELLER and some of Jason Momoa's former cast mates from Baywatch.

Please tell me you're joking.

Fenrir Foxz
December 20th, 2007, 01:27 PM
With how cliche' (And repetative) law and order is I would stop watching stargate if it turned out like that!

Gregorius
December 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM

I second that and I would like to add that the addition of all the smileys instead of names is really annoying to read.

Mitchell82
December 20th, 2007, 01:33 PM
With how cliche' (And repetative) law and order is I would stop watching stargate if it turned out like that!

Neither would I though I love Law and Order.

Ripple in Space
December 20th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Lol, I'm guessing you missed Argosy's post.

Killdeer
December 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Speaking of Law & Order:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2007/12/20/december-20-2007-teasers-dim-sum-and-chocolate/

Marielabbott writes: “Speaking of intense courtroom drama, any chance we’ll see something of that nature in SGA?”

Answer: Coincidentally, we will be seeing something of this nature in season 5.

PG15
December 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Great, I can hear the chants of "rip off of Pretense!!" already.

Well, I'm looking foward to it (and hoping it's set around Shep's court martial since there will be much angst and continuity porn).

Briangate78
December 20th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Well, I'm looking foward to it (and hoping it's set around Shep's court martial since there will be much angst and continuity porn).

Yeah it gets old really quick. I mean it's the same frelling writers you are gonna get influenced eps. They are not the same at all. :S

Killdeer
December 20th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Rip off of Pretense? *blankly* I'm going to have to look up that one - it's not coming to mind right away.

EDIT: :o OK - I'm stumped. Were you making up that title? Because I can't find it. :o :o :o

I confess - I'm not that excited about it, especially if it is an actual Earth trial of some sort, such as a court martial. If it were a Pegasus Galaxy trial - that might be more interesting. I would rather Atlantis focus more on the Pegasus Galaxy and move away from Earth and earth politics type episodes. I didn't care for it when SG-1 did it, and I like it even less with Atlantis. In fact, it would make me supremely happy if Atlantis were to get cut off from Earth completely again.

Gregorius
December 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Rip off of Pretense? *blankly* I'm going to have to look up that one - it's not coming to mind right away.

EDIT: :o OK - I'm stumped. Were you making up that title? Because I can't find it. :o :o :o

Pretense, a S3 episode of SG-1 with the Tollans and the Nox. It involves the trial (triad) of Skaara and Klorel resulting in the latter being forcefully removed from the former.

As for a court martial, I'd like to see it especially if it concerns either Carter or Sheppard.

Briangate78
December 20th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Pretense, a S3 episode of SG-1 with the Tollans and the Nox. It involves the trial (triad) of Skaara and Klorel resulting in the latter being forcefully removed from the former.

As for a court martial, I'd like to see it especially if it concerns either Carter or Sheppard.

We've never seen a court martial on Stargate. So yeah would be interesting. :)

Killdeer
December 20th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Pretense, a S3 episode with the Tollans and the Nox. It involves the trial (triad) of Skaara and Klorel resulting in the latter being forcefully removed from the former.

*headdesk* Of course. I should have known that. But I did a quick scan of the episode titles and missed it. Sorry PG15! :o When I didn't find it, I thought maybe the title was a joke and I'd missed it. Guess the joke's on me. :D

Ripple in Space
December 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM

How about when Teal'c was on trial for murder? Or when Vala was on trial for being a Maldoran, lol.

PG15
December 20th, 2007, 06:38 PM
No problem! :D

I don't know...probably because I've watched too much Star Trek, I really dislike alien trials. Now, a court martial set on Earth, THAT will be a perfect chance for the characters to angst over something relatable. Besides, it'll be less of a "rip-off" (oh hey, it'll rip off Cor-Ai too if it's an alien trial).

EDIT:

Some extra tidbits from JM's blog tonight:

And, if we’re lucky enough to get a pick-up, we’ll be spinning ideas, breaking stories, and working on scripts right up to the start of yet another season of production in mid-February - at which point the process starts all over again. As such, we have to pick our spots - sometimes during the Summer hiatus, during the Fall-Winter break - blocking out a few days here and there when the show takes a backseat to some much-needed R&R. Although, to be honest, that’s easier said than done because even if you have a first draft script in hand, you’ll still find plenty of opportunity to: a) agonize over the minutiae of said script, b) spin potential new story ideas during dinner with your wife and well into the wee hours of early morning, and c) generally worry about various aspects of the impending production at every turn (“I have to remember to have John Lenic put that actress on hold.”, “I can’t forget to ask Val to include a few more countries in next season’s line-up.”)

And so, despite the fact that my mother and sister are in town, we’re only days away from celebrating Christmas, and I have a first draft of Broken Ties in hand, my mind is far from on holiday mode. If it’s not worrying about the tighter shooting schedule or whether or not Mark D. will be available for a return engagement, it’s fretting over motherhood issues or a red giant’s gravitational pull.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2007/12/20/december-20-2007-teasers-dim-sum-and-chocolate/

Killdeer
December 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM
No problem! :D

I don't know...probably because I've watched too much Star Trek, I really dislike alien trials. Now, a court martial set on Earth, THAT will be a perfect chance for the characters to angst over something relatable. Besides, it'll be less of a "rip-off" (oh hey, it'll rip off Cor-Ai too if it's an alien trial).

I understand. I just am having problems with the Earth part. :S I really want them to move away from the earth stuff.

And I don't know that I would want to see Shep get courtmartialed, to be honest. I shouldn't have a problem with it, but I do. He's already lost his command (by default) - I just....have a problem with the idea. I'll come right out and say it's not really logical, but...yeah, it would upset me if they did that.

PG15
December 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I understand. I too wouldn't mind seeing Atlantis cut off, but at this point I don't think that's likely, so might as well work with what you got.

As for Shep, I guess it's just the Whumpers assimilating me or something. It doesn't really matter to me if Shep gets physically whumped, but major angst is very appealing to me. Although I can see how a character hurting could also hurt the fans of said character. :)

Killdeer
December 20th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I understand. I too wouldn't mind seeing Atlantis cut off, but at this point I don't think that's likely, so might as well work with what you got.

I guess I just prefer seeing the team out going through the Gate. One episode might not be so bad, but....if we get an ongoing Trust-like arc going, I really am not going to be happy. I really want the focus in the Pegasus Galaxy and the Stargate, not on Earth-related arcs.

As for Shep, I guess it's just the Whumpers assimilating me or something. It doesn't really matter to me if Shep gets physically whumped, but major angst is very appealing to me. Although I can see how a character hurting could also hurt the fans of said character. :)

While I agree with you to an extent, there's different types of emotional angst, and this particular idea just doesn't appeal to me. :( Sorry. But who knows? It may not be anything like that. :D

Gregorius
December 21st, 2007, 04:17 AM
Atlantis being cut-off from Earth after Earth has been destroyed by the Ori, now that would be a nice arc with it being the last remnant of Earth. It would ensure there are no longer Earth bound arcs and now they'll have to do interesting things to ensure the human race from Earth will survive since they have nothing they can fall back on. This would lead to them reclaiming the "Sister City" and claiming a few planets in order to rebuild society while at the same time fighting a war against the Wraith.

One can only dream of such an arc...

Falcon Horus
December 21st, 2007, 04:50 AM

You shouldn't have said it... :p

We've never seen a court martial on Stargate. So yeah would be interesting. :)

And we will never get one... not with the good guys anyway, they can get away with anything. The only ones facing a court martial are the secondary characters who have fallen from grace (like Colonel Makepeace ... wasn't he the one to work with the NID?).

How about when Teal'c was on trial for murder? Or when Vala was on trial for being a Maldoran, lol.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. We have seen a few trials over the years so far.

i_adore_atlantis
December 21st, 2007, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. We have seen a few trials over the years so far.
But NOT in Atlantis.

To everyone in general (not picking on anybody in particular, honest):

I understand that people who watch both shows might find similarities. But I never liked SG-1 and only watched the episodes where SGA characters appeared in. Personally, I'm tired of reading "it's a rip-off of this or that SG-1 episode". As someone who watches Atlantis only, I don't care if they did or didn't do something similar in SG-1. And I honestly wouldn't want the writers not to do a certain story in Atlantis because something similar was done before in SG-1. They are two different shows. I don't understand why the writers can't do something in Atlantis just because it was already done in SG-1. Many people don't watch SG-1 and never did. So, why can't we have those stories with "our" characters, just because they did it in another show?

There has never been a story involving a courtroom in Atlantis. I don't care if they did that in 100s of shows before. They haven't done it in Atlantis and I consider it original within the context of Atlantis. And that's what matters to me.

Briangate78
December 21st, 2007, 07:22 AM
But NOT in Atlantis.

To everyone in general (not picking on anybody in particular, honest):

I understand that people who watch both shows might find similarities. But I never liked SG-1 and only watched the episodes where SGA characters appeared in. Personally, I'm tired of reading "it's a rip-off of this or that SG-1 episode". As someone who watches Atlantis only, I don't care if they did or didn't do something similar in SG-1. And I honestly wouldn't want the writers not to do a certain story in Atlantis because something similar was done before in SG-1. They are two different shows. I don't understand why the writers can't do something in Atlantis just because it was already done in SG-1. Many people don't watch SG-1 and never did. So, why can't we have those stories with "our" characters, just because they did it in another show?

There has never been a story involving a courtroom in Atlantis. I don't care if they did that in 100s of shows before. They haven't done it in Atlantis and I consider it original within the context of Atlantis. And that's what matters to me.

People can call it a rip-off all they want, it is their opinion. My opinion is, that it is similar and not a rip-off. Well they are both hence Stargate shows so they are going to be similar. :S

Falcon Horus
December 21st, 2007, 07:28 AM
People can call it a rip-off all they want, it is their opinion. My opinion is, that it is similar and not a rip-off. Well they are both hence Stargate shows so they are going to be similar. :S

The similarity stops being similar when you can take an SG1 story, change the characters with the ones from Atlantis, keep the storyline and everything else, change the setting and be done with it... That's not similarity, that's lazy writing.

IF TPTB manage to write a trial-episode without me thinking of Pretense or any of the other SG1-trial-episodes... then I don't care they do one in Atlantis.

Like for example The Seer, which by a some/few was compared to Prophecy (season 6 of SG1)... I didn't even make the comparison until someone mentioned it afterwards, and even then there was only the element of "seeing the future and interpret it as you wish".

Briangate78
December 21st, 2007, 07:41 AM
Like for example The Seer, which by a some/few was compared to Prophecy (season 6 of SG1)... I didn't even make the comparison until someone mentioned it afterwards, and even then there was only the element of "seeing the future and interpret it as you wish".

Well yeah exactly. It makes me confused just because there is an episode about able to see into the future being called a rip-off. :S It is a common SCI FI thing that is used. It depends how it is used. There was a major difference with Jonas' vision and the seer's vision. Jonas was able to change the outcome where as the future of the seer was left unchanged, since the vision was of the replicator city being detroyed and came true. The entire episode was TOTALLY different than "Prophecy". The whole episode was a trust issue episode, and questioning about teamming up with a Wraith.

marielabbott
December 21st, 2007, 08:52 AM
Well, I'd love to see it involve Weir somehow, which was the question I asked after the one JM answered. Yeah, I know it's extremely unlikely, but tis the season for hope. :)

I've only seen a handful of SG-1 eps, and I don't think any with trials, so I wouldn't make any connections to those episodes. I've watched a lot of Star Trek though and I usually enjoyed the episodes with trials; it's a good way to examine difficult moral dilemas. Personally, if it's well written and there's an angsty reason for the trial, I'd like to see it. A good courtroom scene can really bring out powerful performances too, and it'd be great to see the talented cast tackle that.

Mitchell82
December 21st, 2007, 12:07 PM

Personally I think it'd be intereting if the Court Matial would be for Caldwell. Now before I get hit with tomatoes and such let me explain. Despite being under the Influence of a Goa'uld he nearly destroyed Atlantis. Now how did the Trust get ahold of him? Was he part of the Trust? Was he kidnapped? All questions we never got answers to. Now lets say after our problems with the Replicators the IOA want someone as a scapegoat and they pick him.

Jumper_One
December 21st, 2007, 03:51 PM
Personally I think it'd be intereting if the Court Matial would be for Caldwell. Now before I get hit with tomatoes and such let me explain. Despite being under the Influence of a Goa'uld he nearly destroyed Atlantis. Now how did the Trust get ahold of him? Was he part of the Trust? Was he kidnapped? All questions we never got answers to. Now lets say after our problems with the Replicators the IOA want someone as a scapegoat and they pick him.

I haven't got tomatoes, you like raw eggs? :D if we'll get the answers to those questions I'd be fine with Caldwell but I'm betting it'll be Shep. there really aren't that many people who can be court-martialed: Carter, Shep, Caldwell, Ellis, Ford (lol) did I forget someone?

Ripple in Space
December 21st, 2007, 05:36 PM

What? Jack & Woolsey make the calls on the BC-304 program. Do you think those guys would be understanding enough to put him back on duty if they even suspected him of being dirty? That is unless it was a sting operation...

Killdeer
December 21st, 2007, 06:02 PM
Why is everyone so sure it's going to be a court martial? Is there some spoiler I've missed here? JM only said something about "courtroom drama." It could be a court martial, but it could also be a lot of other things.

Gregorius
December 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM
Because there hasn't been a court martial on SG and people want to have a court martial because it adds tension to the series whatever the outcome might be.

Killdeer
December 21st, 2007, 06:42 PM
Because there hasn't been a court martial on SG and people want to have a court martial because it adds tension to the series whatever the outcome might be.

I don't want to have a court martial.

But that wasn't my point. If people want a court martial that's fine. Everyone likes different things. I'm just saying - it just sounded like people had locked onto the assumption that it was going to be a court martial and moved on to whose - I'm just throwing out a reminder that, as far as I know, we don't know that it is going to be a court martial. But if I misunderstood, I apologize. :o And now I'm actually regretting bringing it up. :o Sorry!:(

Gregorius
December 21st, 2007, 06:46 PM
I guess a lot of people are speculating about a court martial because it's more exciting that speculating about a(n) (alien) trial involving the members of SGA. Saying McKay's going to get trialed is not nearly as exciting and has less possibilities than saying Sheppard's going to get court martialed. :p

But you're right, it's not certain what kind of a trial it is.

marielabbott
December 21st, 2007, 07:04 PM
Perhaps it's Ronon on trial, after he goes to the dark side. Maybe it's some sort of Athosian custody battle over Teyla's kid (seriously, what are they going to do with that baby?). I just hope it's well written and angsty in some way.

Mattathias2.0
December 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM
seriously, what are they going to do with that baby?

Rapidly age it?

Maybe a bit like Livia/Eve from Xena or Adria from SG-1?

Killdeer
December 21st, 2007, 07:10 PM
Rapidly age it?

No, JM said specifically that was not going to happen. See comments for the December 15th entry (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2007/12/16/december-15-2007/#comments).

Naur writes: ” will motherhood be developed (unlike the Vala situation)?”

Well, I don’t want to give too much away but I will say this: Teyla’s baby will not be rapid-growing or conveniently written out via scifi means.

Briangate78
December 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM
I guess a lot of people are speculating about a court martial because it's more exciting that speculating about a(n) (alien) trial involving the members of SGA. Saying McKay's going to get trialed is not nearly as exciting and has less possibilities than saying Sheppard's going to get court martialed. :p

But you're right, it's not certain what kind of a trial it is.

What I think will happen, and if it does will love it.

Sheppard is going to break a direct order to likely save Ronon or Teyla at the end of the season, and he will be brought up on charges for not following a direct order. This will be great if this happens. Since a court martial has never been seen in the SG universe. At least people can't say it's a SG-1 rip-off. ;) Anyway will love this because I love when the characters break orders from their superiors, like in "The Return". LOVED IT!

Irish Eyes
December 21st, 2007, 08:10 PM
Rapidly age it?

Eve wasn't aged; Xena was in the deep freeze. ;)
(Sorry, my Xena love is showing...)

Sheppard is going to break a direct order to likely save Ronon or Teyla at the end of the season, and he will be brought up on charges for not following a direct order. This will be great if this happens. Since a court martial has never been seen in the SG universe. At least people can't say it's a SG-1 rip-off. ;) Anyway will love this because I love when the characters break orders from their superiors, like in "The Return". LOVED IT!

Come on Briangate78! Can't he and the team save Weir, then the whole lot of them be brought up on charges when they refuse to turn her over to the IOA?

Briangate78
December 21st, 2007, 08:15 PM
Eve wasn't aged; Xena was in the deep freeze. ;)
(Sorry, my Xena love is showing...)

Come on Briangate78! Can't he and the team save Weir, then the whole lot of them be brought up on charges when they refuse to turn her over to the IOA?

LOL, I wish it was Weir they were saving at the end. Until I see her last episode I am still convinced she'll have some role in Season 5! I tried to stay away from most of the spoilers, and so far it looks like...

The Real Weir may return.

Irish Eyes
December 21st, 2007, 08:30 PM
LOL, I wish it was Weir they were saving at the end. Until I see her last episode I am still convinced she'll have some role in Season 5! I tried to stay away from most of the spoilers, and so far it looks like...

The Real Weir may return.

I hope so. :)

Gregorius
December 22nd, 2007, 03:37 AM

I'd like it better when a new person gets in charge of the SG-Program and after reviewing the reports decides that Sheppard must be court martialed. What would be even better if there's a snitch in the expedition, who has just been transfered from Earth and wants to get the CO position, starts reporting to the staff on Earth in order to remove Sheppard from Atlantis.

Falcon Horus
December 22nd, 2007, 05:07 AM

The good guys never get court martialed... They get away with anything. It's the bad guys that get the court-time, if it's an Earth trial. If it's not it could potentially be something along the lines of what Vala and Teal'c went through in SG1... which would come very close to changing the characters and put it in a PG-setting.

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 07:12 AM
what if Shep gets court-martialed for something he didn't do? oh but then people will say it's a 'Smoke & Mirrors' rip off

Falcon Horus
December 22nd, 2007, 07:16 AM
what if Shep gets court-martialed for something he didn't do? oh but then people will say it's a 'Smoke & Mirrors' rip off

Mmm... it would be. ;)

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 07:18 AM
Mmm... it would be. ;)

unless it's just the same idea but the ep itself will be entirely different ;)

Gregorius
December 22nd, 2007, 07:18 AM

It would be, especially if it involves a rogue member of a semi-governmental organisation.

Gregorius
December 22nd, 2007, 07:19 AM

Like Sheppard being guilty because that would be an original idea. Anything else would just reinforce the idea that Sheppard is Jack Jr.

Falcon Horus
December 22nd, 2007, 07:22 AM

I don't have much problems with that... only if it's a "change the characters and settings to fit the PG"-thing.

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 07:23 AM
Like Sheppard being guilty because that would be an original idea. Anything else would just reinforce the idea that Sheppard is Jack Jr.

what if he isn't guilty

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 07:24 AM
I don't have much problems with that... only if it's a "change the characters and settings to fit the PG"-thing.

well so far any used SG-1 ideas have been developed pretty differently in the respective Atlantis eps so I wouldn't worry about that

Gregorius
December 22nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
what if he isn't guilty

He'd be Jack Jr. and forced to clear his name, besides it would be nowhere near as exciting as when he would be guilty.

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
He'd be Jack Jr. and forced to clear his name, besides it would be nowhere near as exciting as when he would be guilty.

Jack jr because there's one ep where womething similar happened to O'Neill (again: one ep)?

Falcon Horus
December 22nd, 2007, 07:30 AM
well so far any used SG-1 ideas have been developed pretty differently in the respective Atlantis eps so I wouldn't worry about that

Err, I have a different idea on that...especially in season 4...but hey, I hope it changes.

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 07:33 AM
Err, I have a different idea on that...especially in season 4...but hey, I hope it changes.

ok so we have different opinions. but whether you liked them or not, don't you agree that the eps turned out completely different?

Gregorius
December 22nd, 2007, 07:39 AM
Jack jr because there's one ep where womething similar happened to O'Neill (again: one ep)?

You don't get it, it's because of one ep but it's because of how he acts. He's cocky against enemies, he's intelligent but behaves as if he's an idiot but when needed he outsmarts the smartest minds and gives them the idea they work out to save the day, he has a certain disregard for authority, his ATA gene is as special and strong as Jack's, etc..

It are all these little things that make me think of him being written as Jack Jr. but with added kirkpowers because he's young.

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 07:55 AM
You don't get it, it's because of one ep but it's because of how he acts. He's cocky against enemies, he's intelligent but behaves as if he's an idiot but when needed he outsmarts the smartest minds and gives them the idea they work out to save the day, he has a certain disregard for authority, his ATA gene is as special and strong as Jack's, etc..

It are all these little things that make me think of him being written as Jack Jr. but with added kirkpowers because he's young.

ok so basically Shep is O'Neill, Teyla and Ronon are a combination of Teal'c and Vala, Ford is Cam, Weir is Hammond/Landry, Rodney is Carter, Chuck is Walter, Beckett and Keller are Frasier and Lam etc.

I know you didn't say they were but you can find traces of SG-1 characters in every single one of the Atlantis team. so they're the same? no. Shep might remember us of O'Neill but he's a totally different person, different background, other training, they're a generation apart etc. and while I may agree that he was an O'Neill clone in the first few eps I certainly think Shep was written differently over the past few seasons

Gregorius
December 22nd, 2007, 08:11 AM
ok so basically Shep is O'Neill, Teyla and Ronon are a combination of Teal'c and Vala, Ford is Cam, Weir is Hammond/Landry, Rodney is Carter, Chuck is Walter, Beckett and Keller are Frasier and Lam etc.

No, you don't get it. It's about how the characters are being written. Sheppard is being written as younger version of O'Neill. The other characters are written differently from their SG-1 "counterparts", all but Sheppard.

I know you didn't say they were but you can find traces of SG-1 characters in every single one of the Atlantis team. so they're the same? no. Shep might remember us of O'Neill but he's a totally different person, different background, other training, they're a generation apart etc. and while I may agree that he was an O'Neill clone in the first few eps I certainly think Shep was written differently over the past few seasons

And I respectfully disagree with that, since in my opinion he's slowly becomming more and more O'Neill, Jr..

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 08:15 AM
No, you don't get it. It's about how the characters are being written. Sheppard is being written as younger version of O'Neill. The other characters are written differently from their SG-1 "counterparts", all but Sheppard.

And I respectfully disagree with that, since in my opinion he's slowly becomming more and more O'Neill, Jr..

ok. I still think that O'Neill and Shep are different persons, maybe slightly alike because of their jobs but nothing more. let's just agree to disagree before this gets even more OT

Falcon Horus
December 22nd, 2007, 08:48 AM
ok so we have different opinions. but whether you liked them or not, don't you agree that the eps turned out completely different?

Not always.

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
Not always.

no? then I guess I'm missing something

jelgate
December 22nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
Not always.I see a rehash arguement coming. Was that your sinster intentiond FH. :D

Falcon Horus
December 22nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
I see a rehash arguement coming. Was that your sinster intentiond FH. :D

Nope, not at all (and I mean that, no sarcasm, just me).

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
Nope, not at all (and I mean that, no sarcasm, just me).

we're all just guessing here anyway, there'd be no point in an argument

Falcon Horus
December 22nd, 2007, 11:22 AM

Exactly.

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Exactly.

I just wish we'd know more about s5, then we could actually discuss some stuff. but I guess it's still a little early

Ripple in Space
December 22nd, 2007, 11:30 AM

My "guesses" weren't assumptions at all... they just made me laugh.

Briangate78
December 22nd, 2007, 11:31 AM
Joe M's blog as been dry of SGA stuff, but I don't blame him it's the holidays. We will know more after New Year's day. :)

Anyway hope everyone has a happy and healthy holiday, once they are over a lot is happening...

1.)SGA reruns of Season one and two are taking over the X-files slot @ 5pm starting Jan 2nd

2.) Reairs of Season 4 will be on Friday's @ 2am(For all you insomnia folks. :p)

and of course..

3.) SGA's Season 4 resumes on Jan 4th with the epic BAMSR! :D

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
Joe M's blog as been dry of SGA stuff, but I don't blame him it's the holidays. We will know more after New Year's day. :)

Anyway hope everyone has a happy and healthy holiday, once they are over a lot is happening...

1.)SGA reruns of Season one and two are taking over the X-files slot @ 5pm starting Jan 2nd

good, hopefully it'll attract some new viewers

2.) Reairs of Season 4 will be on Friday's @ 2am(For all you insomnia folks. :p)

not just for those guys ;)

and of course..

3.) SGA's Season 4 resumes on Jan 4th with the epic BAMSR! :D

awesome! :D

Mitchell82
December 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM

I disagree. He may have similar qualities but he is far from being a copy of Oneill.

Briangate78
December 22nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
I disagree. He may have similar qualities but he is far from being a copy of Oneill.

LOL, I asked Joe F that question that if he thinks his character is similar to O'neill. He joked around and made fun of my handle name! :p

Mitchell82
December 22nd, 2007, 02:21 PM
LOL, I asked Joe F that question that if he thinks his character is similar to O'neill. He joked around and made fun of my handle name! :p

:lol: That sounds like him.

Briangate78
December 22nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
:lol: That sounds like him.

I want to meet him at a con and ask him if he remembers me, lol! :lol:

BTW, here is the video...

http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=164108

My handle is Squall78 on SCI FI

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
I want to meet him at a con and ask him if he remembers me, lol! :lol:

BTW, here is the video...

http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=164108

My handle is Squall78 on SCI FI

:lol: hahaha awesome dude!

Not_Fazed
December 25th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I noticed this tidbit on Joes blog:

Susiekew writes: “Any chance we’ll see non-humanoid aliens in season 5?”

Answer: It’s possible. Events in the back half of season 4 will open the door to all sorts of possibilities.

I'm thinking new galaxy, or at least access to a new location other than the regular Pegasus that we are used to.

They need to do this eventually anyway since the Pegasus galaxy is (want for a better phrase) a bit stale now.

Gregorius
December 25th, 2007, 08:36 AM
I'm thinking new galaxy, or at least access to a new location other than the regular Pegasus that we are used to.

No, that would be a cop-out especially when there is still so much left undeveloped in the current PG.

They need to do this eventually anyway since the Pegasus galaxy is (want for a better phrase) a bit stale now.

Of course it is with the current writing, they are leaving so much things undeveloped and underused that is has to become stale. They're written themselves into a corner with their idea of "a new enemy must be an even stronger enemy".

As for the non-humanoid aliens, I'm betting it'll be Michael's creations gaining sapience or something.

Not_Fazed
December 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM
No, that would be a cop-out especially when there is still so much left undeveloped in the current PG.

Of course it would be, but then the majority of viewers are interested in new powerful enemies rather than the latest Genii gardening techniques.

Of course it is with the current writing, they are leaving so much things undeveloped and underused that is has to become stale. They're themselves into a corner with their idea of "a new enemy must be an even stronger enemy".

Unfortunately that has become the staple of stargate 'tension'. Apparently we need powerful enemies for major story arcs.

As for the non-humanoid aliens, I'm betting it'll be Michael's creations gaining sapience or something.

They were already humanoid.

Gregorius
December 25th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Of course it would be, but then the majority of viewers are interested in new powerful enemies rather than the latest Genii gardening techniques.

Make the SGC the enemy of the expedition.

Unfortunately that has become the staple of stargate 'tension'. Apparently we need powerful enemies for major story arcs.

Which is bad since they'll write Deus Ex Machine solutions to defeat those enemies.

They were already humanoid.

Sapient as in intelligent, thinking for themselves.

Mitchell82
December 25th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I noticed this tidbit on Joes blog:

I disagree. There is plenty in Pegasus to explore.

heliosphere
December 25th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Do you guys think that they'll use parts of the back half of season five as something that would lead to Universe? Sort of how a lot of season 7 of SG-1 lead into Atlantis? I am not sure if I missed something earlier on this thread, but I was talking about it with some of the family over the holidays.

Mitchell82
December 25th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Do you guys think that they'll use parts of the back half of season five as something that would lead to Universe? Sort of how a lot of season 7 of SG-1 lead into Atlantis? I am not sure if I missed something earlier on this thread, but I was talking about it with some of the family over the holidays.

Probably not. Universe is far from even getting that far. They are still working on the concept however if I remember correctly they said it would be completly seperate from the rest of the franchise.

Not_Fazed
December 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Oh come on...

The wraith have pillaged the vast majority of the Pegasus galaxy.

We saw various star maps and explanations of how they have limited human development for the purpose of feeding. They have ensured races do not evolve or develop to the point of becoming a threat to them.

The traveler's get away with this because they are not stationary, they travel and develop thanks to ingenuity and boldness to explore and constantly be on the move.

The Pegasus galaxy has been portrayed by cannon as being full of semi developed races, some of them even being pre or post-industrial worlds. However, other than the Genii the majority have been pretty much useless to us.

How exactly is the series supposed to expand and grow in such stagnant conditions? Think about it!

Mitchell82
December 25th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Oh come on...

The wraith have pillaged the vast majority of the Pegasus galaxy.

We saw various star maps and explanations of how they have limited human development for the purpose of feeding. They have ensured races do not evolve or develop to the point of becoming a threat to them.

The traveler's get away with this because they are not stationary, they travel and develop thanks to ingenuity and boldness to explore and constantly be on the move.

The Pegasus galaxy has been portrayed by cannon as being full of semi developed races, some of them even being pre or post-industrial worlds. However, other than the Genii the majority have been pretty much useless to us.

How exactly is the series supposed to expand and grow in such stagnant conditions? Think about it!
As it was with SG-1 yet they managed to do just fine in the confines of the MW. Same applies here. The galaxy is a big place thousands of planets to explore so the PG is far from stagnant.

Not_Fazed
December 25th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I disagree old chap.

The Milky Way has been portrayed and developed for its size and vast possibilities.

The Pegasus galaxy has been highlighted for being smaller and barely inhabited other than the Wraith and the primitive humans.

It would be achingly stupid if the writers suddenly introduced a new enemy or powerful race from the Pegasus galaxy...

Come on, you see my point!

Mitchell82
December 25th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I disagree old chap.

The Milky Way has been portrayed and developed for its size and vast possibilities.

The Pegasus galaxy has been highlighted for being smaller and barely inhabited other than the Wraith and the primitive humans.

It would be achingly stupid if the writers suddenly introduced a new enemy or powerful race from the Pegasus galaxy...

Come on, you see my point!
No I don't. Atlantis is about the Pegasus Galaxy and it is smaller than the Milky Way but it is far from barely inhabited.

Not_Fazed
December 25th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Agreed, Atlantis is about the Pegasus galaxy.

I just wonder how long these primitive neighbour races will interest us viewers. Surely you recognise the loophole in the writers logic? - In that the Wraith wipe out any races that become a vague threat.

This really does limit SGA in terms of the Pegasus galaxy and the level of interest us viewers will have in new races.

Mitchell82
December 25th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Agreed, Atlantis is about the Pegasus galaxy.

I just wonder how long these primitive neighbour races will interest us viewers. Surely you recognise the loophole in the writers logic? - In that the Wraith wipe out any races that become a vague threat.

This really does limit SGA in terms of the Pegasus galaxy and the level of interest us viewers will have in new races.

The thing is we live in Atlantis. The most advanced city in the galaxy,and yes most races are technologically inferior however the Wraith are technologically supperior, not to mention the Asurans. We are also allied with the Genii who are far from Ancient tech but far from pessants. We also have Michael as an enemy not to mention his bug army. My point is there are plenty of allies and enemies in PG to make good stories.

Ripple in Space
December 25th, 2007, 09:47 PM
The thing is we live in Atlantis. The most advanced city in the galaxy,and yes most races are technologically inferior however the Wraith are technologically supperior, not to mention the Asurans. We are also allied with the Genii who are far from Ancient tech but far from pessants. We also have Michael as an enemy not to mention his bug army. My point is there are plenty of allies and enemies in PG to make good stories.

The Wraith are technologically superior to the Tau'ri overall, but the Tau'ri has access to tech that dwarfs the Wraith.

Not_Fazed
December 25th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Well lets just hope the wraith and asurans survive season four....

Heaven
December 26th, 2007, 02:02 AM
all these super powerful races are the same
they show up with their big space ships force fields and weapons, have a few fights and then get wiped out by some plot device
it's BORING!!

I'd much rather see races like the Genii, the Travelers, Bola-Kai
and even aliens like Foothold, Spirits, Re'tu, Reole, Tok'ra

I want to see some unconventional technologies and inventions, I want races that have other abilities than us, not more of the same!

Jumper_One
December 26th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Well lets just hope the wraith and asurans survive season four....

I think the Wraith will most certainly survive s4, they're like the Goa'ulds in SG-1, the original enemy. I don't think TBTB would dare to kill them off, also we already know that Todd's in TLM so I guess there's a good chance to see him along with other Wraith again in the s5 premiere. the Asurans on the other hand aren't such an important enemy imo but I still think at least a few of them will survive s4, even if it's just Oberoth

SGFerrit
December 26th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Make the SGC the enemy of the expedition.

No, thanks. I don't understand why people come up with this idea. 1. It's not going to happen, 2. It's a stupid idea. ESPECIALLY being enemies with the SGC. I don't think I would want to watch it anymore to be honest.

Gregorius
December 26th, 2007, 06:44 AM
No, thanks. I don't understand why people come up with this idea. 1. It's not going to happen, 2. It's a stupid idea. ESPECIALLY being enemies with the SGC. I don't think I would want to watch it anymore to be honest.

1. Who cares, it's just an idea.
2. That's your opinion and a lot of people think it's a great idea as it brings conflict into the series and doesn't require the addition of a new godlike enemy. Besides that the SGC are about the more powerful race in the entire SG universe.

SGFerrit
December 26th, 2007, 11:11 AM
1. Who cares, it's just an idea.
2. That's your opinion and a lot of people think it's a great idea as it brings conflict into the series and doesn't require the addition of a new godlike enemy. Besides that the SGC are about the more powerful race in the entire SG universe.

The fact is, the SGC are doing what is best for Earth. So is Atlantis. In order to make them enemies, one would have to 'go bad'. The idea is very unrealistic, and I for one, would hate it. It wouldn't be so bad to have them cut off, but I also think that is a bad idea as the whole point of the show is to make leaps and bounds to help Earth. I personally am happy tptb will never go that way.

Gregorius
December 26th, 2007, 11:23 AM
The fact is, the SGC are doing what is best for Earth. So is Atlantis. In order to make them enemies, one would have to 'go bad'.

That's such a black and white view of things, so oversimplified and extremely boring especially since it's far more complex and interesting. Both can still do what is best for Earth but have opposing views. It's not needed that one "goes bad".

The idea is very unrealistic, and I for one, would hate it.

The idea is very realistic, and I for one, would hate to see it wasted. How realistic is it that two groups of people in two different galaxies and some of them isolated from Earth for several years still hold the same ideas? Experiences change people and thus the attitude towards certain things will change with it, this, in reality, usually caused a small gap and this gap turns into a rift until both sides go completely against one another.

As for unrealistic, even on Earth former allies can go against one another and become enemies and enemies can become allies and all that within timespaces that can be less than a day.

It wouldn't be so bad to have them cut off, but I also think that is a bad idea as the whole point of the show is to make leaps and bounds to help Earth.

And what if the expedition has a different view of what's helping Earth than the SGC has?

Not_Fazed
December 27th, 2007, 12:10 AM
all these super powerful races are the same
they show up with their big space ships force fields and weapons, have a few fights and then get wiped out by some plot device
it's BORING!!

I'd much rather see races like the Genii, the Travelers, Bola-Kai
and even aliens like Foothold, Spirits, Re'tu, Reole, Tok'ra

I want to see some unconventional technologies and inventions, I want races that have other abilities than us, not more of the same!

I totally agree with you.

I'd take episodes on mythology, exploration and thought provoking dilemmas over space vampires and evil nanites any day.

However competitive sci-fi seems to demand spaceships, explosions and testosterone fueled plots.

Gregorius
December 27th, 2007, 01:15 AM

I second that.

However competitive sci-fi seems to demand spaceships, explosions and testosterone fueled plots.

Easy writing requires that because then you add a lot of VFX instead of writing complex arcs.

freetoken
December 27th, 2007, 03:15 AM

I'd take episodes on mythology, exploration and thought provoking dilemmas over space vampires and evil nanites any day.

Amen. Yea... and Amen.

Unfortunately for you and me, too many of these shows today on Sci-Fi and other networks all repeat the same formula.

Much like pop music.

TPTB ran out of original ideas a long time ago, and refuse to bring in totally new writers who might have a different vision of what life would be like out there...

Fortunately for TPTB, the writers' strike will continue, thus the major networks will be hurting for fiction shows, which will drive some viewers to search the cable channels more often. That could drive some more viewers to SciFi and thus to SGA.

Let's have the robots and vampires kill each other off... and get on with something new.

freetoken
December 27th, 2007, 03:21 AM
The idea is very realistic, and I for one, would hate to see it wasted. How realistic is it that two groups of people in two different galaxies and some of them isolated from Earth for several years still hold the same ideas?
[snip]
And what if the expedition has a different view of what's helping Earth than the SGC has?

Uhh... the military folk on Atlantis work for the SGC, namely the 2 star in charge!!!

And, they have daily communication, as well as visits both by ship and now over the gateway.

Now, as for Teyla and Ronon, it has always been a bit unrealistic to think they would be so accommodating to outsiders taking command of them, but TPTB evidently needed the flesh (female and male) to make the cast look sexier, so be it...

SGFerrit
December 27th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Let's have the robots and vampires kill each other off... and get on with something new.

Well, it seems that is what is going to happen. The majority of the Asurans will be destroyed, but the Wraith won't, and the focus will switch back to them. Which is great, because from what I have seen most of the fans love the Wraith. And then new allies and enemies will be introduced next year, and Joe Mallozzi has said that there may be some non-humanoid races too.

Gaeth
December 29th, 2007, 01:30 AM
The only way I could see there being a real fight with the SGC is if they had a foothold situation. Which by the way I would like to see those foothold aliens again, or something even more alien.

JSPuddlejumper
December 29th, 2007, 11:05 AM
New Friends: Weir/Niam camp of Asurans that some how survived.

How about some surviving Tollans who have decided to flee the MW and settled in some remote part of the Pegasus galaxy?

Enemies: Surviving MW Replicators? Surviving Asurans. Evil Asgard? Michael's bugs on the loose in a massive way.

Jumper_One
December 29th, 2007, 11:18 AM

I don't think so

How about some surviving Tollans who have decided to flee the MW and settled in some remote part of the Pegasus galaxy?

nope we'll never see the Tollans again imo. also it's too much SG-1 and MW species

Enemies: Surviving MW Replicators?

again it's possible but I doubt it. the PG already has its own replicators, it doesn't need another SG-1 enemy

Surviving Asurans.

possibly

Evil Asgard?

sry but that's just ridiculous imo

Michael's bugs on the loose in a massive way.

another possibility

jenks
December 29th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Hopefully they will actually be new, as in, not human... but I suppose having non-humanoid aliens is probably too much to ask...

Mitchell82
December 29th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Far too risky to be allies.

Uh no. I liked then but no.

Enemies: Surviving MW Replicators?
No bad idea.

Surviving Asurans.
This I hope so.

Evil Asgard?
Sorry but thats just stupid.

Michael's bugs on the loose in a massive way.
That I too would like.

PG15
December 29th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Some bits from a recent JM interview:

SoSF: Well, you mentioned a lot of character development, obviously with the filming of a new Season 5 coming up in a couple of months, how much of Season 4 will you pursue as a continuation of existing story arc and what challenges are imminent?

JM: We ended Season 4 on a cliff hanger and didn’t know if it would be picked up or not, but it was a decision we made very early on that we would end it on a cliff hanger and if need be continue potentially with a movie, but we got the 5th season pick up so that’s great. I can’t really get into details simply because the back half of Season 4 has not played out and a fair amount of the development of Season 4 will carry into the beginning of Season 5. I sort of left off with a hint of the premiere and the title is ‘Search and Rescue’. Who exactly is doing the searching and who is in need of rescuing is a question for another time, probably later this season, once the rest of Season 4 airs. There definitely will be carry over in terms of certain relationships, character and big story arcs.

SoSF: Do you have any plans that you know of for any reprisal appearances for guest stars or prior regular cast members for the new season?

JM: It’s still up in the air and hopefully we’ll have an announcement in a week or so but, again, I can’t give away too [much] because the back half of Season 4 hasn’t aired yet, and the back half of Season 4 will reveal the fate of some of our recurring characters so not much in terms of details.

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2007/12/30/a-slice-of-scifi-interview-with-sgas-joe-mallozzi/

vaberella
December 29th, 2007, 10:05 PM
All I hope for is that I don't see a baby let loose on SGA unless it has a head of a lizard and feet of a platypus. Oh, and no more zombies.

Thanks PG15.

Killdeer
December 29th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Ok, woah. Is this for real? Did he maybe misspeak - not say what it sounds like he's saying?

From the interview PG15 linked above:

Obviously there are fans that are unhappy with the fact that [Dr.] Beckett was killed off at the end of Season 3 and a lot of Weir fans were unhappy at the fact that Carter is on the show and will not be happy. We’re running through the show to a point where Weir comes back in a full time capacity. Fans of Carter, who maybe liked SG-1 who don’t want her and Stargate Atlantis, and there are fans who resent [Dr.] Keller’s presence as if she were a relationship to Beckett. All that has obviously soured certain fans towards Joe and when certain fans are unhappy they will be very vocal. At the end of the day you write a show that in your mind and in the minds of some of the writers, the best show that tells the best stories and I’ve always said that at the end of the day we could just basically start from scratch at the beginning of every episode.

It's very confusing the way this is worded, so I'm not taking it for granted yet, but....I'd love for it to be true!

vaberella
December 29th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Bring back a dead person? Carson, Weir...why not Ford and throw in Grodin for good measure. I was pretty vocal during season 2 that I loved Grodin and wanted him back.

At that point, why kill the character if you plan on using them again? It held no purpose because the theatrics to their death was worthless. That actually degrades the character further into a status of mockery for me.

To some it may be getting a character they liked, to me it's a waste and at that point me as a fan has been turned into a marionette.

Just for those who seem to think I'm doing this because it's Weir. I happen to have liked Carson a great deal, my third fave character (After Ronon & McKay, of course) but I'm very anti- his return. And for those who think if they did this to Teyla I wouldn't be annoyed...think again. If they killed Teyla in the next episode, but then want to bring her back; I would first say, "what a waste" and then I would be anti-Teyla return.

She's dead, just bring in a new girl, since a character like Teyla in Scifi let alone the Peggy isn't that hard to recreate. Shoot, just go as far to make the newbie a direct human/wraith hybrid rather than waste my time with a whole leader of a people angle.

Ugh, what a waste with the possibility of zombies roaming SGA.

g.o.d
December 30th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I second that.

Easy writing requires that because then you add a lot of VFX instead of writing complex arcs.

yeah, SGA/SG-1 need writers such as JMS or Joss Whedon

Prior_of_the_Ori
December 30th, 2007, 03:27 AM
I don't think they would be allies but I wouldnt mind seeing those rogue Ascension seeking Asurans again. They wouldnt be good allies though as they can be easily reset or killed by their more numerous brethren.

Evil Asgard and Tollan are bad ideas as those are SG-1 storylines plus both are supposedly dead.

I think bad guy wise Michael's Bug People might become a new rising threat in the galaxy.

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 30th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Allies: Gateworld Forum members.
Enemies: Evil alternate universe versions of themselves.

female Wraith
December 30th, 2007, 05:15 AM
I think the new friends will be Todd's Wraith and some new goup of people something like the Larrin's Travellers.

The new enemies hm..We know that Kolya will be back in Season 5, and Michael is very angry and very dangerous so he will be the main villian. And perhaps a new kind will be introduced. Something like this:

1. Iratus bugs have natural enemies, as Ronon suggested in Conversion, let's call them Animal X and we know that the Wraith are a result of mixing Iratus and Human DNA .
2. What if the genes of Animal X and the DNA of the Humans have also been mixed creating Super Human/Animal X?
3. And the Super Human/Animal X is targeting the Wraith as a natural prey. Somehow the Wraith had been able to stop the H/A X and the Atlantis expedition by incident release the survived H/A X as they did with the Asurans.

LOL, what an imagination I have:)

Actionhank
December 30th, 2007, 07:23 AM
I hope they bring in a completely new enemy.

- a human race from a complete other galaxy try to make their living here and they are actually very clever and sophisticated. The theme here is: What if we do it not the nice way.
- a fishy race with under water action
- a reptile race (maybe like in "V - the visitors")
- some race with an empire (like the roman empire) with slaves and all that jazz for some cultural action.

Please not a race with flying people, that would be lame.

Our friends - of course the travelers, the Wraith if we need them and some other races around. Maybe the furlings but that's probably to much for one day. :)

gateraid
December 30th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Ok, woah. Is this for real? Did he maybe misspeak - not say what it sounds like he's saying?

Obviously there are fans that are unhappy with the fact that [Dr.] Beckett was killed off at the end of Season 3 and a lot of Weir fans were unhappy at the fact that Carter is on the show and will not be happy. We’re running through the show to a point where Weir comes back in a full time capacity. Fans of Carter, who maybe liked SG-1 who don’t want her and Stargate Atlantis, and there are fans who resent [Dr.] Keller’s presence as if she were a relationship to Beckett. All that has obviously soured certain fans towards Joe and when certain fans are unhappy they will be very vocal. At the end of the day you write a show that in your mind and in the minds of some of the writers, the best show that tells the best stories and I’ve always said that at the end of the day we could just basically start from scratch at the beginning of every episode.

It's very confusing the way this is worded, so I'm not taking it for granted yet, but....I'd love for it to be true!

Sorry to butt in. I'm not a regular on this thread, but they have been talking about this article on the Pro Weir s4/s5 thread, and I wanted to see what you guys knew about it. Basically, the bolded portion [I]was[I] included in the interview, but has now been removed, because apparently the interviewer misheard one word on the audio file (it was easier to remove the entire section than to alter it). No word on what word was misheard.

Mitchell82
December 30th, 2007, 10:45 AM

I hope not. I don't mind her coming back for a few eps but not if we loose Carter. Also it wouldn't make sense.

PG15
December 30th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Yeah, that line has since been removed. Sorry guys.

I knew something was up last night; that whole paragraph made very little sense, grammar-wise.

Mitchell82
December 30th, 2007, 11:19 AM

I knew something was up last night; that whole paragraph made very little sense, grammar-wise.

Glad I wasn't the only one. I thought I was reading something very wrong.;)

Franklyn Blaze
December 30th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I clicked on the link and the whole interview is gone now. Fishy and Fishyer

vaberella
December 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Glad I wasn't the only one. I thought I was reading something very wrong.;)

I thought it was off...but hey, I never really understand half of what some of the people on SGA say. I think it's the whole being vague that throws me off, thought it was "as per they're usual talk". I've come to terms that something is off and moving on.

Gone should stay gone.

Allies: Gateworld Forum members.
Enemies: Evil alternate universe versions of themselves.

How unfortunate?! I 100% agree with the above and the Allies are still minute in number. They're doomed!! :mckay:

gateraid
December 30th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Hey PG15 it's not your fault. It was certainly worth posting, given that it read like it was a major casting announcement (but actually just the opposite). On the other thread, some1 checked with the interviewer, who said it was easier to remove the entire section, rather than re-write the incorrect piece.

All we can infer from that is that Weir was mentioned, as was the fallout for bringing in Carter and Keller. As to the exact wording, we are now left to speculate

Jumper_One
December 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Hey PG15 it's not your fault. It was certainly worth posting, given that it read like it was a major casting announcement (but actually just the opposite). On the other thread, some1 checked with the interviewer, who said it was easier to remove the entire section, rather than re-write the incorrect piece.

All we can infer from that is that Weir was mentioned, as was the fallout for bringing in Carter and Keller. As to the exact wording, we are now left to speculate

hopefully Joe will comment on his blog

PG15
January 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM
More tidbits from JM:

Thronyrose writes: “Are there any ideas or plans being tossed about about doing an AU episode next season?”

Answer: In fact, such an idea was tossed about in early November, yes.

Thornyrose also writes: “And are we going to see any major changes in the relationship between the Atlantis expidition and Earth? More specifically are we going to see any Earth/US politics affect the mission’s status?”

Answer: Hmmm. Yes. This possibility was also discussed.

Linzi writes: “I was also wondering if Joe F. is going to direct in season 5…”

Answer: There are no plans to have any of the actors direct in season 5.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/01/01/january-1-2008-happy-new-year-no-really/

jelgate
January 1st, 2008, 06:51 PM
PG15, we can't do a AU episode. Were just ripping off SG-1 (ends sarcasim)

Jumper_One
January 1st, 2008, 06:56 PM
PG15, we can't do a AU episode. Were just ripping off SG-1 (ends sarcasim)

it was just an idea, doesn't mean there's gonna be an ep. but dude did you have to mention it? I can already hear people screaming :eek:

PG15
January 1st, 2008, 07:25 PM
I know! I mean, it doesn't matter that SG1 totally ripped the AU idea from other places, but for Atlantis, it's just, like, totally a crime punishable by the death penalty!

Jumper_One
January 1st, 2008, 07:30 PM
I know! I mean, it doesn't matter that SG1 totally ripped the AU idea from other places, but for Atlantis, it's just, like, totally a crime punishable by the death penalty!

exactly! if it were a different show nobody would complain but no this is a spin off and thus almost everything is a total rehash

jelgate
January 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM
I know! I mean, it doesn't matter that SG1 totally ripped the AU idea from other places, but for Atlantis, it's just, like, totally a crime punishable by the death penalty!I look at it this way. Point?* of View?* is more similiar to There But the Grace of God than Doppleganger is to Cold Lazarus. But Doppleganger and Cold Lazarus will be called a ripoff first. IMO, some fans are too quick to call an episode a ripoff. Almost every Scifi element has already been used.

Briangate78
January 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM

Tell me about it. :rolleyes:

gateraid
January 2nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
I look at it this way. Point?* of View?* is more similiar to There But the Grace of God than Doppleganger is to Cold Lazarus. But Doppleganger and Cold Lazarus will be called a ripoff first. IMO, some fans are too quick to call an episode a ripoff. Almost every Scifi element has already been used.

But it's not so much the concept, it's how it's delivered. I mean every time they do an AU episode, it usually involves (using SG1 as an example)

Jack as General and Hammond as Colonel (early SG1)
Hammond still SGC commander (late SG1)
Certain characters either in love/married
Certain characters playing only slightly different versions of themselves (eg Dr Carter vs Major Carter, or Rod vs Rodney)
A copy of our reality which is only marginally different to our own
Characters that are dead in our reality are not dead in the new one
Often the AU people sacrifice themselves to save our reality

If they could be original in the way they do it I wouldn't be against it. IDK, maybe have Weir as military commander, Sheppard as the Doctor, Beckett as civilian leader. I know that idea sucks but my point is why don't they put people in totally different roles, rather than marginally different versions of themselves? Then it wouldn't feel so tired. But that's just IMO of course.

EDIT: I made that sound like I was totally against AU/AR stories. Not true. I happen to think that The Road Not Taken was one of the strongest standalone eps SG has ever done. But the AU/AR part was secondary to the rest of the story. My point is that they can be done well, just that IMO more times than not they are not

Mitchell82
January 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
exactly! if it were a different show nobody would complain but no this is a spin off and thus almost everything is a total rehash

I know. It's not like The X-Files,Star Wars,Star Trek,Farscape,BSG etc actually have 100% orriginal ideas right? ;)

Jumper_One
January 3rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
I know. It's not like The X-Files,Star Wars,Star Trek,Farscape,BSG etc actually have 100% orriginal ideas right? ;)

:indeed:

Falcon Horus
January 3rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
It's not like The X-Files,Star Wars,Star Trek,Farscape,BSG etc actually have 100% orriginal ideas right? ;)

With the exception that the Stargate PTB don't have access to these scripts, which allows the loss of a few words here and there, add a few, change the characters a little, add a bit of Lantean technology or Wraith (or Asuran) ... and there you go a script useable for SGA.

SGFerrit
January 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
With the exception that the Stargate PTB don't have access to these scripts, which allows the loss of a few words here and there, add a few, change the characters a little, add a bit of Lantean technology or Wraith (or Asuran) ... and there you go a script useable for SGA.

But the fact is Falcon, that thing, that you have just described there, hasn't happened. You make it sound like they took an SG-1 script and just changed it for their characters. That isn't true at all.

TPTB have employed elements from previous stories, and turned them into something different. But it seems some people are unable to comprehend that a plot device can be used to make a totally different story, and instead they 'see everything in black and white' as it were...

Falcon Horus
January 3rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
But the fact is Falcon, that thing, that you have just described there, hasn't happened. You make it sound like they took an SG-1 script and just changed it for their characters. That isn't true at all.

I admit a little to the extreme... still, it's still possible for them to go that way, although I sincerely hope they don't.

TPTB have employed elements from previous stories, and turned them into something different.

The problem with that, like I have mentioned before, is that it's in the same franchise by the same PTB which makes it different. It shows a lack of creativity. I don't care if you use timetravel again, but try to think outside the box and instead of thinking back to what they did a gazillion times on SG1, try to do it differently on SGA.

They should forget about SG1 - I mean, like when you're studying for your exams. One day you have to study History of Ancient Rome, the next day you have to able to produce something, and as soon as the exam is over you have to forget about Ancient Rome and move onto History of Egypt. There's no way you can use the same elements again in the Egypt-exam for you will flunk it.

If they can do that for season 5, that would be okay.

But it seems some people are unable to comprehend that a plot device can be used to make a totally different story, and instead they 'see everything in black and white' as it were...

Or these guys have watched SG1 religiously and find that they are still watching exactly the same show but with different characters.

Platschu
January 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Why do I have a bad feeling that they will kill off a major character in the second half of Atlantis season 4? Maybe this is the reason, why they didn't say nothing officially about the cast, because they won't give us such big spoiler. :(

Falcon Horus
January 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Why do I have a bad feeling that they will kill off a major character in the second half of Atlantis season 4? Maybe this is the reason, why they didn't say nothing officially about the cast, because they won't give us such big spoiler. :(

And who do you think will kick the bucket (right?) next? Who do you consider major enough?

Platschu
January 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
I think Teyla, Zelenka or Lorne. :(