This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Colonel Sheppard Should Not Be In Command ~The Pro-Sam Thread~

To start with, I have no problem with promiscuous people. However, when their promiscuity is endaring themselves, others, they are in denial about it (that they are promiscuous) or whatever, I will use the term "Slut". Secondly, just because this colonel happens to be male doesn't mean he's any less of a slut (no, the word "Player" does not exist in my vocabulary).

Also, it has been pointed out that as Sam is now a full bird Colonel, she's now also the Military Command and he's only the Second in Command. Listen carefully now, because this will probably be the only time I say this: I'm glad Sam came to Atlantis. I really am. Because that at least means John's no longer in command, a position I now see that he's clearly unfit for.

I have never really disliked John. I am, after all, an avid supporter of McShep and I have downright defended him in discussions where his judgement and character have been put in question. And also, look at my avatar. He's not my favourite character on Atlantis, but he's not very far down on the list.

However, I had never felt pure hatred for him 'til 4x05 - Travelers. See my companion thread 4x05 - The Most Immature Episode Ever for more about my views on the episode, or as Katie Griffith would call it: Schmeppisode.

Let's walk down memory lane, shall we:
    Exhibit A - Chaya - Despite what avid Sheppard Thunkers will deny, John showed extremely poor judgement in the handling of Chaya. Before anyone jumps in with "But he just wanted to be friendly with the people with the great technology", let's remind ourselves of the fact that John met Teer after GFI (Genii Fiasco I) and the botched Genii Invasion (GFII). Yet, what does he do when he meets her? He trust every single lie she spouts and not only takes her back to Atlantis, but also tells her what consoles do what (so that it'll be easier for the Genii to control the city should she turn out to be a Genii spy)! And on a side note, he goes on a picnic with her (obviously, this was beyond duty and "Being nice to the locals". This was date with a genuine Alien Priestess here), giving her some of their last supplies of certain delicacies (despite them being cut off from Earth). Yes... ha ha, how romantic. And what does he do when Rodney points out that she isn't to be trusted and that she's lying? He tells him to "Shut up".
    Exhibit B - Princess Space Slut - In the endless Suckfest that is "The Tower", John had a little encounter with a gal who "wanted his genes". She drops off all of her clothes to prove this (and thank God this isn't on Showtime any more). Yes, the episode does leave what follows that dropping-of-the-clothes up for speculations and the Defenders of Sheppard constantly point out that John said that he turned down the Princess and the Kingdom, but the line could easily be interpreted to mean that John turned down marriage to the Princess, especially as we "in the know" know that the writers originally planned to confirm that John and the Princess really did the naughty. yes, the writers originally thought it to be a good idea to have John Slut It Up with Random Alien Princess because, really, what guy wouldn't, right? Captive on an alien planet with ruling despots who feast on delicacies while the people are starving and oppressed, what to do? Bang the Alien Princess.
    Exhibit C - Teer - People like to point out that John had been stuck in there for six months and yaddi yaddi yadda, but, really, right before Teer told John the bone-chilling news that she'd been telepathically stalking him for months and that she'd had visions since since was a child about him being "The One" (To Take Her Virginity) and that he'd lead them to Ascension and Ascend with them (and really, this is where he had to know she was off her rocker because he knows himself the best. Not to mention the fact that the minute she says "You're the one", he not only assumed but also hoped that she meant "The one to take my virginity/The one I will spend the rest of my life with". And he knew he probably wouldn't spend the rest of her life with her because Ascension's just not his thing, but he hoped that's what she meant because then he'd get some Space Tail (after which he'd abandon her and go back to Atlantis). Also, she's clearly delusional because she thinks he's The One who's not only destined to take her virginity but also destined to spend eternity with her. And what does he do? He bangs the hot alien while he's got the chance. It's almost taking advantage of a less intellectual (read: stupid) person.

While I hated those three episodes, they didn't make me hate the character of John Sheppard. Hell, I only considered it to be a small character flaw.

Also, the Protectors of Sheppard will claim that these are just three (now four) little moments in time throughout 3 (now 3 + a few weeks) years of his life. However, why is it that out of every single member on Altantis John is the only guy who's ever gotten to make out with people (under amicable circumstances) or had scenes indicating he got laid?! And not just once but now four times. If you're claiming that John just made four misteps during his time on Atlantis, then you must also be claiming that no one else on Atlantis has had sex in 3+ years of time. It's a special thing when a single character Kirks themselves four times in three+ seasons.

And then the Suckfest that is Travelers happened (again, see my companion thread). I must be Teer, only better (because you know, I'm not delusional) because I knew what would happen the moment Laryn said "Be a shame to have to do too much damage" in reference to John's face.

And happen it did, towards the end, Colonel Space Slut inexplicably (or is that "expectedly" given his track record) decides to start making out with Laryn right after telling a Wraith to run off to his Dart and go home. What the Hell was that Bimbo (and I'm referring to John here) thinking?! Here's the woman who'd tortured you earlier (multiple times), who'd threatened to kill you repteadly and you're currently in a hostile situation. Yet, the moment she ends up pressed up to you and starts batting her eyelashes at you, you decide it's a good idea to start making out?!

And how engrossed wasn't he in the make-out session if his reflexes were too slow to punch her in the face the minute he felt her yank the stunner out of his back pocket?! This was obviously a man who was expecting to get some Intergalactic Tail and therefore ignored all reason and let all his defenses drop.

Not to mention the fact that a Wraith had just been there! He could rush in and bumrush John at any moment (and how prepared would he have been to stun him?!) or maybe he sprinted back to the Dart and got some more stunners and would be back any second to bum-stun.

And really, this is after three years of experience with the galaxy, with people like the Chaya, Genii, Dagan and the Asurans that should've taught John to not start randomly trusting people randomly just because they have a high level of technology or are hot!

This was, of course, followed by John "omitting" some facts from his mission report/debriefing/whatever as the rest of the team didn't know he had decided on an impromptu make-out session. Good show, Colonel. You're pushing 40, who were once in command of the most important expedition in human history and you're supposedly a role model to your men but you have no problems lying when the truth would give you minus points in status (I very much doubt that the homophobic and partiarcal American Military would punish him for getting some Space Tail).

At first I was afraid, I was petrified when I learned that Sam would not only take over control of the city but also control of the military contingent. After Travelers, however, I'm glad.

Who knows what kind of disasters Colonel Space Slut could've created by randomly deciding to throw caution to the wind and start making out while the Wraith were on the loose!

I can't wait for the next time the writers decide to write a new episode to eventually be featured on a special DVD called Stargate Atlantis - The Major-Colonel-Whatever Space Slut Chronicles.

So what are you views of John's actions in these four episodes, but especially Travelers?

I'm trying to [i]keep it positive[/b], [i]trying not to get upset[/b], I'm positive, but I'm really pissed at that brunette. I really feel like slapping him to the floor, pulling his hair and calling him whore.
    Spoiler:
    The above sentence is a reference to "Legally Blonde - the Musical"
    Last edited by FallenAngelII; 29 October 2007, 09:14 AM.

Poor guy; 3+ years and only made out with 4 women. How does a guy even deal with that?

I gotta give him props for endurance. I'd never last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Poor guy; 3+ years and only made out with 4 women. How does a guy even deal with that?

I gotta give him props for endurance. I'd never last that long.
      So if we don't see it, it never happened, ever? Good god, then how do they go to the bathroom because I've never seen one. Do they all go down to the pier and squat over the edge?

We haven't seen a single other character make out with someone on the show, yet John's either made out with or been propositioned/alluded to having sexual relations with four different women now. It's the writers' way of saying that he gets around (a lot more than the rest).

Comment

Weir in Sunday.

EDIT: Oh, and Carson and Rodney in Duet, of course.

Comment

Weir in Sunday.

EDIT: Oh, and Carson and Rodney in Duet, of course.
          Wasn't the "Sunday"-debacle a brief kiss? And Carson and Rodney had a brief kiss as well, not a make-out session.

One kiss does not a make-out session make. And said kisses didn't come from Random Aliens Who Might Kill Us Any Minute (or at least who shouldn't be trusted, even though Teer was just delusional, but she was delusional nonetheless) or lead to immediate sex (nor did the involve expect them to).

In Rodney's and Carson's case, the "Why" is obvious (unless you're one of those Slashers). In the "Sunday"-case, then well, no further hint of it was made and the city went into Alert Mode right afterwards, after all.

Comment

I'm not any kind of slasher (or any kind of shipper, actually, at least for this show).

I was just responding to your assertion that "We haven't seen a single other character make out with someone on the show". We have, and since that statement didn't mention any extenuating circumstances (i.e. danger), I responded as such.

I shall let people who care more about your rantings to reply to the rest of this...rant.

Comment

I was just responding to your assertion that "We haven't seen a single other character make out with someone on the show". We have, and since that statement didn't mention any extenuating circumstances (i.e. danger), I responded as such.
              Yet you mentioned zero such occasions. I specifically said "make out". I'm sure Wikipedia has an article on "Making out" so I shouldn't have to explain it here, but you seem to have a much deeper grasp of the English language than just a rudimentary one, so you should know that a single brief kiss (without tongue) does not a make-out session make.

Also, you misused the word "extenuating". The fact that there was danger present was hardly an extenuating circumstance. It made the misdeed even more vile.

Comment

Let's say that I disagree with everything you said in your first post and to feel pure hatred for any fictional character is quite sad IMO..

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                Wasn't the "Sunday"-debacle a brief kiss? And Carson and Rodney had a brief kiss as well, not a make-out session.
                Really.... but one random kiss for Sheppard does lead to a make out session in your opinon.

One kiss does not a make-out session make. And said kisses didn't come from Random Aliens Who Might Kill Us Any Minute (or at least who shouldn't be trusted, even though Teer was just delusional, but she was delusional nonetheless) or lead to immediate sex (nor did the involve expect them to).
                You thought Teer might kill us at any minute? Random Aliens in the operative word here.. 2 women in four years... definitley random..

In Rodney's and Carson's case, the "Why" is obvious (unless you're one of those Slashers). In the "Sunday"-case, then well, no further hint of it was made and the city went into Alert Mode right afterwards, after all.

Well obviously Rodney can kiss whomever he wants, but Shep is a slut if he looks at a woman. Double standards hey!!!

Sheesh, your hatred for a character who interacts with women in a charming and easy going way is quite astounding. Shep has had a mere few interactions with women over a four year period... good grief the man is a saint.
                Last edited by bluealien; 29 October 2007, 12:35 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

His kiss in this episode was just as long as the one shared by Carson and Rodney. (If any difference, there was probably only a few seconds.)

Cry moar.

Comment

Originally posted by nekoi View Post
                    His kiss in this episode was just as long as the one shared by Carson and Rodney. (If any difference, there was probably only a few seconds.)

Cry moar.
                    Wrong.

Rodney and Carson had one brief close-mouthed kiss without tongue.

You can clearly see and hear that they are making out with open mouths in this episode and they kissed more than once in quick succession (with open mouths and possibly tongue), which constitutes making out. The only reason why the making-out was aborted was because Larrin had managed to snag the stunner from John.
                    Last edited by FallenAngelII; 28 October 2007, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                      Wrong.

Rodney and John had one brief close-mouthed kiss without tongue.

You can clearly see and hear that they are making out with open mouths in this episode and they had kissed more than once, which constitutes making out. The only reason why the making-out was aborted was because Larrin had managed to snag the stunner from John.
                      If it was interupted/aborted, it doesn't count. Stop pushing unfufilled intentions to the extreme. John's weakness for women was used against him, so it's not like they're making the kissing entirely cliche.

Also, Rodney and John never kissed. Carson and Rodeny kissed, though.

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                        Really.... but one random kiss for Sheppard does lead to a make out session in our opinon.
                        It was a make-out session. It was not just one close-mouthed kiss-

You thought Teer might kill us at any minute? Random Aliens in the operative word here.. 2 women in four years... definitley random..
                        She was obviously delusional, claiming John would Ascend with her (and he knew that wasn't going to happen because, hey, he knows himself). As such, she's not to be trusted. She'd also just revealed that his friends were on their way to save him and that she'd been stalking him for months.

The fact that we haven't had any indicating of anyone else having sex on the show yet had 3 ambiguous ones for John says something.

Well obviously Rodney can kiss whomever he wants, but Shep is a slut if he looks at a woman. Double standards hey!!!
                        We have never ever seen Rodney, out of his own free will, kiss anyone on the show. I can't remember what happened in "Home", but that was the aliens messing with his mind and, hey, he actually knew her (to some extent). Both the kissing of Katie and Carson were the works of Laura Cadman.

If I grabbed your hand and used it to stab someone, would you be liable for the murder?

Sheesh, your hatred for a character who interacts with women in a charming and easy going way is quite astounding. Shep has had a mere few interactions with women over a four year period... good grief the man is a saint.
                        In contrast to everyone else having zero. The writers are trying to tell us something when he's the only one getting action here. Or are you saying John Sheppard is just your typical person getting Galactic Tail only sporadically while everyone else are nuns and monks who never ever even make-out with other people?

Comment

If it was interupted/aborted, it doesn't count. Stop pushing unfufilled intentions to the extreme. John's weakness for women was used against him, so it's not like they're making the kissing entirely cliche.

Also, Rodney and John never kissed. Carson and Rodeny kissed, though.
                          The fact that the make-out session was aborted because Hostile Alien had succeeded in disarming Colonel Space Slut does in no way redeem John. In John's mind, he was getting Intergalactic Tail and he had no problems endangering the entire galaxy (with the Wraith possibly still lurking around) for it. He was presented with the opportunity and went for it.

Also, I cannot remember a single time when John's weakness for women has been "used against him" (and succeeding). Chaya was genuinely pathetic and therefore longing for some Space Tail herself and Wraith Worshipper Girl failed in getting information out of him.

That was a typo. Correcting now.

Comment

Larrin used her looks to lure him in, defenseless and took him by surprise. She did stun him successfully after all.

I don't know... that sounds like using his weakness against him to me.
                            Last edited by nekoi; 29 October 2007, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Larrin used her looks to lure him in, defenseless and took him by surprise. She did stun him successfully after all.

I don't know... that sounds like using his weakness against him to me.
                              I misread it was that John's weakness had been successfully used against him before. I apologize.

This doesn't change anything as this thread is to discuss how John's weakness makes him entirely unsuitable for his position on Atlantis. Should Sam be thrown into a Black Hole (or slip on a fork in the mess), John would be the ranking military officer. While Atlantis fails and the Wraith gate to Earth, John could be standing around making out with a Wraith worshipper because his weakness had once more been successfully used against him.

Comment

Working...
                              X